Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The most accurate pollster at the Euros has Hunt rated better

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited June 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The most accurate pollster at the Euros has Hunt rated better than Boris when compared with Corbyn

New Ipsos-MORI focuses, inevitably, on the CON leadership race. These are some key findings:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,387
    #HasToBeHunt
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    12% for BXP is potentially very interesting.
  • Options
    PM ratings are the best, better than (hypothetical) VIs.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Ipsos Mori also had a Boris led Tory Party on up to 36% but a Hunt led Tories only up to 32%
  • Options
    Both contenders are still promising no GE. How realistic is getting a deal (even an improved one) through Parliament without one? That Labour bloc is presumably key.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

#HasToBeHunt

ConHome Tory members next Tory leader poll taken yesterday and out this morning.

Boris 66% Hunt 30% Undecided 4%

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/06/our-survey-next-tory-leader-johnson-66-per-cent-hunt-30-per-cent.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ipsos Mori also had a Boris led Tory Party on up to 36% but a Hunt led Tories only up to 32%

Fake news. It asked would they consider voting Tory, not would they vote Tory if x or y was Tory leader.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

#HasToBeHunt

ConHome Tory members next Tory leader poll taken yesterday and out this morning.

Boris 66% Hunt 30% Undecided 4%

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/06/our-survey-next-tory-leader-johnson-66-per-cent-hunt-30-per-cent.html
    In truth there are surely many more undecideds - being undecided makes you less likely to respond. But it's still very hard to see a path for Hunt.
  • Options

Both contenders are still promising no GE. How realistic is getting a deal (even an improved one) through Parliament without one? That Labour bloc is presumably key.

Yup, I wonder if they might look at the SNP, but I think we all know what the SNP's price will be.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

HYUFD said:

Fake news. It asked would they consider voting Tory, not would they vote Tory if x or y was Tory leader.
    Still a win for Boris, though.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Yup, I wonder if they might look at the SNP, but I think we all know what the SNP's price will be.
    The SNP will only vote for a Brexit Deal with EUref2 attached which no Tory leader would allow
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    On the poll, the overall -6 for Brexit-supporting parties and +6 for Remain-supporting ones looks OTT (even allowing for some Remain Labour leaching to the LDs). Do IPSOS not weight to the referendum result?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Not really, these hypothetical polls are rubbish.

Back in 2007 45% of the country said they could vote for a Gordon Brown led Labour party at the next general election.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    FPT:
    Animal_pb said:

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what makes you so convinced that No Deal ineluctably leads to economic apocalypse?

Not economic apocalypse (except in Northern Ireland), but the media full every day for a long period of farmers going bust, fishing fleets being mothballed, car manufacturers laying off staff or withdrawing from the UK altogether, supplies being held up at ports, produce rotting, the pound collapsing, lorries held up on the approach to Dover, British ex-pats being left without medical cover, etc etc etc.

What this will all mean in macro-economic terms is very hard indeed to say. I don't really think traditional economic models are any use at all here - no advanced Western economy has ever imposed wide-ranging economic sanctions on itself before - but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say the pound will head down to the range $1 to $1.10 and the overall hit to UK GDP will be comparable to the 2008/9 crisis, and the unemployment effect much worse than 2008/9.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Back in 2007 45% of the country said they could vote for a Gordon Brown led Labour party at the next general election.
    I meant relative to Hunt.
  • Options

Both need a majority to get a 'Tory Brexit' through the Commons.

Ironically Boris losing a VONC pre October and winning a snap general election on a deliver Brexit Deal or No Deal ticket could do that
  • Options

On the poll, the overall -6 for Brexit-supporting parties and +6 for Remain-supporting ones looks OTT (even allowing for some Remain Labour leaching to the LDs). Do IPSOS not weight to the referendum result?

IIRC - Ipsos MORI weight to demographics and GE2017 vote recall.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Cameron did better in 2005 hypothetical polls than Davis, David Miliband did better in 2010 hypothetical polls than Ed Miliband, both were right.

2007 was pre 2008 crash
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I don't think these figures add up really - Tories only on 26% with Brexit Pty on 12%?
  • Options
    Is why Sir Oliver Letwin and Dominic Grieve have stepped up to the plate.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

There's an opposition?

Farage seems to be the leader of the opposition now. Or maybe the LibDem leader, despite the fact nobody knows who that is.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    HYUFD said:

NO, the question was "would consider" not "will vote". As the same question wasn't asked for the LDs, TBP or Labour, it's wholly invalid.

Let's have a good look at the details when they are available.
  • Options

IIRC - Ipsos MORI weight to demographics and GE2017 vote recall.
    Interestingly, the Tory lead is 30-25 amongst "all naming a party" rather than IPSOS's usual measure of 9 or 10/10 certainty to vote. Perhaps the uncertainty over the leadership is affecting that?

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2019-06/polmon-june-27-2019-topline.pdf

It seems reasonably clear to me that Boris will get a (potentially brief) honeymoon; but as @SouthamObserver noted FPT that may well create a reaction on the other side.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

It's not realistic at all.

In fact I think there could only ever have been one realistic plan for a putative new PM: to ask the EU for an extension, which would be used to hold a GE with the Conservatives offering a referendum between the Withdrawal Agreement and Revoke.

Of course that's not a realistic plan for becoming that next PM, which is a bit of a problem.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

12% for BXP is potentially very interesting.

Demand for BXP is clearly VERY elastic and VERY reliant on whether people believe the Tories are doing proper Brexit today or not.

There's a bit of a Bozza Bounce at the moment, but IMO he wants to moderate how sunny the uplands are that he promises. If he creates the impression of a stress-free Brexit at the stroke, nay flourish, of his pen and it doesn't happen, Farage will bounce back like Tigger* on speed. That could be pretty fatal for the Tories in a snap election.

(*The cartoon character, not the loose grouping of centrist MPs)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,265

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what makes you so convinced that No Deal ineluctably leads to economic apocalypse?

Not economic apocalypse (except in Northern Ireland), but the media full every day for a long period of farmers going bust, fishing fleets being mothballed, car manufacturers laying off staff or withdrawing from the UK altogether, supplies being held up at ports, produce rotting, the pound collapsing, lorries held up on the approach to Dover, British ex-pats being left without medical cover, etc etc etc.

What this will all mean in macro-economic terms is very hard indeed to say. I don't really think traditional economic models are any use at all here - no advanced Western economy has ever imposed wide-ranging economic sanctions on itself before - but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say the pound will head down to the range $1 to $1.10 and the overall hit to UK GDP will be comparable to the 2008/9 crisis, and the unemployment effect much worse than 2008/9.
    Only a quarter of that coming to pass puts the Tories out of office for a generation. It would make a couple of days’ high interest rates before Black Wednesday look like a tea party.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

Thanks for the response. So, your concern is in essence one of political management, then? I accept that's definitely a risk; it doesn't quite feel like a certainty (but ask me again in 3 months).
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I wonder what the London sub sample looks like on IPSOS-mori
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

Only a quarter of that coming to pass puts the Tories out of office for a generation. It would make a couple of days’ high interest rates before Black Wednesday look like a tea party.
    Good summary, what you can expect though is for the usual suspects to (ie those who made the wild promises in 2016) to blame every but themselves.......
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

The difference with 2008/9 is we are going in having largely fixed the roof.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,265
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

Cameron did better in 2005 hypothetical polls than Davis, David Miliband did better in 2010 hypothetical polls than Ed Miliband, both were right.

2007 was pre 2008 crash

It’s not even a hypothetical poll.

A hypothetical poll is “if the parties were lead by X, Y and Z, who would you vote for?”

Asking whether people would “consider” voting for someone at best simply establishes a ceiling. The LibDems pre-2010 used to get well over half the population saying they would consider supporting them; clearly this doesn’t translate into any particular VI.

I thought fake pollery was a banning offence here?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Animal_pb said:

So, your concern is in essence one of political management, then? I accept that's definitely a risk; it doesn't quite feel like a certainty (but ask me again in 3 months).

Remember, the Great British public called the police when KFC ran out of chicken.

The first Brexit food riot is likely to follow No Deal fairly swiftly...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    justin124 said:

I don't think these figures add up really - Tories only on 26% with Brexit Pty on 12%?

I don't follow that.

Surely the closer the Tories get to adopting No Deal as their policy, the closer the Tory figure plus the Brexit Party figure should be to the percentage supporting No Deal?

Per yesterday's poll, that's 28%, not 38%. Which would suggest the Tories have further to fall, if anything.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

Surely the closer the Tories get to adopting No Deal as their policy, the closer the Tory figure plus the Brexit Party figure should be to the percentage supporting No Deal?

Per yesterday's poll, that's 28%, not 38%. Which would suggest the Tories have further to fall, if anything.
    Yesterday's poll has 28% as first choice alone.

That's before considering that people may vote on other matters too.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

As long as leavers suffer longest and hardest and handwaving MPs suffer personal direct adverse consequences, so be it. They won’t, of course. In war there is always collateral damage. Leavers love a war analogy, don’t they.
  • Options
    This is presumably why he is being warned not to reshuffle before a VONC

https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1144228985620111360

Although if they are going to be shuffled out anyway, departing anti-no-deal minsters might VONC in any case
  • Options
    matt said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

As long as leavers suffer longest and hardest and handwaving MPs suffer personal direct adverse consequences, so be it. They won’t, of course. In war there is always collateral damage. Leavers love a war analogy, don’t they.
    Mind you some well known and not so well known will make loads of money
  • Options
    matt said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Brexit Inquiry and the subsequent Brexit equivalent of the Nuremberg trials for the leading Brexiteers.
  • Options

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Brexit Inquiry and the subsequent Brexit equivalent of the Nuremberg trials for the leading Brexiteers.

BoZo box office. Again.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

This is presumably why he is being warned not to reshuffle before a VONC

https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1144228985620111360

Although if they are going to be shuffled out anyway, departing anti-no-deal minsters might VONC in any case

I see Boris has gone full Esther McVey.
  • Options
    Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

Boris supports Brexit Deal or No Deal on October 31st and voted for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3.

Farage and the Brexit Party reject the Withdrawal Agreement outright and want to go straight to No Deal WTO terms so that does not follow
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

The difference with 2008/9 is we are going in having largely fixed the roof.
    We haven't fixed the roof. We've just stopped it leaking.
  • Options

matt said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

To quote Wesley, from TPB - "get used to disappointment".
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

2007 was pre 2008 crash

A hypothetical poll is “if the parties were lead by X, Y and Z, who would you vote for?”

Asking whether people would “consider” voting for someone at best simply establishes a ceiling. The LibDems pre-2010 used to get well over half the population saying they would consider supporting them; clearly this doesn’t translate into any particular VI.

No fake pollery that was an actual poll putting a Boris led Tory Party up to 36% together with all the other polls we have had none of which have had in hypothetical voting intention a Boris led Tory Party trailing Labour and most of which have had a Boris led Tory Party ahead.

I know you despise Boris and hate polls putting Boris ahead but tough luck
  • Options

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

Those two points are really the same one twice, if the Tories really do adopt No Deal, or a policy that effectively leads to No Deal.

Of course it may be that people will vote on other issues as well as Brexit. But there's no reason that factor per se should benefit the Tories or the Brexit Party rather than other parties (does the latter even have any other issues?).

On the most influential political issue of the day, the Tories would do well to remember that if they pin their hopes on No Deal, they're going to be fishing in a pond that contains not more than a third of the electorate, and with no assurance of catching anything like all the fish.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

Those two points are really the same one twice, if the Tories really do adopt No Deal, or a policy that effectively leads to No Deal.

Of course it may be that people will vote on other issues as well as Brexit. But there's no reason that factor per se should benefit the Tories or the Brexit Party rather than other parties (does the latter even have any other issues?).

On the most influential political issue of the day, the Tories would do well to remember that if they pin their hopes on No Deal, they're going to be fishing in a pond that contains not more than a third of the electorate, and with no assurance of catching anything like all the fish.
    Boris will deliver a FTA for GB and let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop by referendum not a Farage No Deal
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

matt said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I'm used to disappointment.

But the Brexit inquiry is something a lot of Leavers in government are afraid of happening in the event of No Deal.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    nichomar said:

matt said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I suspect Arron Banks and therefore Nigel Farage may do well out of it from business sources unknown
  • Options
    Given that shagger thinks we get a transition with No Deal I'm not really convinced he knows what he's talking about.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

Boris supports Brexit Deal or No Deal on October 31st and voted for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3.

Farage and the Brexit Party reject the Withdrawal Agreement outright and want to go straight to No Deal WTO terms so that does not follow
    The problem is that no one in the world except you believes there is going to be time for us to leave the EU with a deal by 31 October. Not even Boris Johnson.
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

matt said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

But the Brexit inquiry is something a lot of Leavers in government are afraid of happening in the event of No Deal.
    Of course, a Government Inquiry. The swift, sharp sword of Justice.

[chortle]
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

How are they going to get a deal through Parliament even if do we have a GE & the Conservatives win? It will still be the same old faces with the same old disagreements. They won a GE before on the commitment to leave the EU and the MPs have shown how much store they set by that.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

Boris will deliver a FTA for GB and let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop by referendum not a Farage No Deal
    I swear to God I sometimes suspect that what Boris Johnson's girlfriend was trying to do with his laptop was delete a pseudonymous post to politicalbetting.com!
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

2007 was pre 2008 crash

No fake pollery that was an actual poll putting a Boris led Tory Party up to 36% together with all the other polls we have had none of which have had in hypothetical voting intention a Boris led Tory Party trailing Labour and most of which have had a Boris led Tory Party ahead.
    What were the other parties on?
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

matt said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

[chortle]
    The question is do you want it good or do you want it quick?

Hutton cleared Blair promptly but Chilcot shredded the reputation of Blair in a way no other Prime Minister has been in the past.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

matt said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I think a subsequent post Mr. Thicky Labour government will certainly milk it as much as possible through a public enquiry. Chilcot on steroids.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1144233796054716416

And then what....
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Scott_P said:

And then what....
    Then this

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

Boris doesn't have the ability to deliver a second class letter.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Scott_P said:
    With Corbyn blocking EUref2 as well is Tom Watson about to launch a leadership challenge?
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Animal_pb said:

matt said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

[chortle]
    The question is do you want it good or do you want it quick?

Hutton cleared Blair promptly but Chilcot shredded the reputation of Blair in a way no other Prime Minister has been in the past.
    (as the actress said to the bishop)

In all seriousness, if Boris & Co screw this one up, the judgement in court of public opinion will come far before any serious inquiry, much as it did for Blair. The posters on this board care about Chilcot; you'd be hard pressed to find many 'normal' folk that could even remember what his report covered.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

The problem is that no one in the world except you believes there is going to be time for us to leave the EU with a deal by 31 October. Not even Boris Johnson.
    He does.

Boris wins a majority by October 31st, then can pass the Withdrawal Agreement by October 31st too with the temporary Customs Union for GB May asked Barnier to impose removed.

No longer reliant on the DUP having won a Tory majority he could also hold a confirmatory referendum in NI on the backstop
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

In all seriousness, if Boris & Co screw this one up, the judgement in court of public opinion will come far before any serious inquiry, much as it did for Blair. The posters on this board care about Chilcot; you'd be hard pressed to find many 'normal' folk that could even remember what his report covered.

I think it is inevitable that they do screw this up.

Like Richard Nabavi my membership of the Tory party after the 1st of November isn't guaranteed.

Honestly if we wanted to join a party that was going to the trash the economy we'd have joined the Labour party.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Who knew the wingnut in chief was so unpopular - remarkable.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

Boris doesn't have the ability to deliver a second class letter.
    I do hope so, but I think it is unlikely. If so empty vessel Boris is sunk. I am not keen on the nonce-finder-general but he is someone that has energy and drive. If Corbyn is removed and replaced by anyone half decent everything changes
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_P said:
    Popcorn!!!

BUt yeah, if this doesn't lead one of Corbyn or Watson going...whats the point?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

He does.

Boris wins a majority by October 31st, then can pass the Withdrawal Agreement by October 31st too with the temporary Customs Union for GB May asked Barnier to impose removed.

No longer reliant on the DUP having won a Tory majority he could also hold a confirmatory referendum in NI on the backstop
    So Boris is going to keep us in the customs union? Anyone told Mark Francois et al?
  • Options

Who knew the wingnut in chief was so unpopular - remarkable.

Will you be setting up a fantasy football league again?

I'll win it this time as I was far too distracted by editing PB and Liverpool's champions league campaign last season.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    With Corbyn blocking EUref2 as well is Tom Watson about to launch a leadership challenge?
    Sorry, comment meant to be here: I do hope so, but I think it is unlikely. If so empty vessel Boris is sunk. I am not keen on the nonce-finder-general but he is someone that has energy and drive. If Corbyn is removed and replaced by anyone half decent everything changes
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Like Richard Nabavi my membership of the Tory party after the 1st of November isn't guaranteed.

Honestly if we wanted to join a party that was going to the trash the economy we'd have joined the Labour party.
    I am keeping my membership for the next leadership election. I give a Boris leadership 6 to 12 months tops. He is incompetent and a snowflake
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

Well, I hope you and he feel differently in a few months. You never know, it might not be as bad as you fear.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Scott_P said:
    Popcorn!!!

BUt yeah, if this doesn't lead one of Corbyn or Watson going...whats the point?
    How many MPs are in that lot
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

He does.

So Boris is going to keep us in the customs union? Anyone told Mark Francois et al?
    Nope, Boris takes GB out of the Customs Union, he lets NI voters decide if they want to keep it in NI until a technical solution is found to the Irish border
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

You voted LD in 2017, Richard Navabi has said he will vote LD if Boris is leader
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

I am keeping my membership for the next leadership election. I give a Boris leadership 6 to 12 months tops. He is incompetent and a snowflake
    I would like to keep my membership to at least May 2022 then I will have been a member for 25 years.

My fear is that the party will go even more wingnut if Boris fails.

The spin will be Boris really didn't believe in Brexit and only backed it for his leadership ambitions, what we really need a true believer, so step forward Mark Francois or Andrew Bridgen as the next Tory leader after Boris.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Sorry, comment meant to be here: I do hope so, but I think it is unlikely. If so empty vessel Boris is sunk. I am not keen on the nonce-finder-general but he is someone that has energy and drive. If Corbyn is removed and replaced by anyone half decent everything changes
    Labour loses working class Leave voters to the Brexit Party and Boris if Corbyn is removed even if they win back some Remainers from the LDs
  • Options

Animal_pb said:

I would like to keep my membership to at least May 2022 then I will have been a member for 25 years.

My fear is that the party will go even more wingnut if Boris fails.

The spin will be Boris really didn't believe in Brexit and only backed it for his leadership ambitions, what we really need a true believer, so step forward Mark Francois or Andrew Bridgen as the next Tory leader after Boris.
    Yes it could be a Patel v Baker v Francois contest if Boris fails to deliver Brexit or a Farage takeover
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Animal_pb said:

You voted LD in 2017, Richard Navabi has said he will vote LD if Boris is leader
    You really are stupid aren't you.

I vote swapped because I live in a Lib Dem/Labour marginal which helped the Tories gain a seat from Labour.

I also campaigned for the Tories in 2018 and 2019, which is an odd thing for a Lib Dem to do isn't it?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Gove is lucky he didn't make the final 2 otherwise Sarah Vine would have just sunk his campaign today.

Jaw dropping stuff.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Richard Navabi has said he will vote LD if Boris is leader

Bit shallow to vote on personality not policy isn't it ?

But one wonders if personality is a big issue why he voted for Mrs May.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Gove is lucky he didn't make the final 2 otherwise Sarah Vine would have just sunk his campaign today.

Jaw dropping stuff.

Don't be coy, what did she say?
  • Options
    Gosh, that's a strongly worded letter. I'm sure it will do the trick.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Scott_P said:

And then what....
    Then this

Michael Fabricant lost his wig again in the Lichfield desert ??
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    edited June 2019
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

I swear to God I sometimes suspect that what Boris Johnson's girlfriend was trying to do with his laptop was delete a pseudonymous post to politicalbetting.com!
    My name is Carrie
    I live on the second floor
    I live upstairs from you
    Yes I think you've seen me before

If you hear something late at night
    Some kind of trouble
    Some kind of fight

Just don't ask me what it was

With apologies to Suzanne Vega
  • Options

nichomar said:

matt said:

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I suspect Arron Banks and therefore Nigel Farage may do well out of it from business sources unknown
    And JRM and a former cabinet members husband from the known
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

FPT:

Animal_pb said:

I think that once we swallow whole the EU's no deal preparations document (which of course we will have to) then immediately much will continue as is. That said, over the subsequent several months, as the tariff regime is established and changes occur (for example in our farming and livestock sectors) then changes will become apparent.

As to the more tangible effects I see GBPUSD at around 1.10-1.15 and yes, a sizeable hit to GDP of the scale of the GFC. I don't see a wake up "gotcha" moment however (currency aside) and the vast majority of the UK will be largely unaware personally of the diminution of their wealth vs any alternative scenario (a deal, for example).

Hence the Leavers will be doing a lot of I told you so-ing. Even as they, we, all become poorer than we otherwise might have been.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Animal_pb said:

You really are stupid aren't you.

I vote swapped because I live in a Lib Dem/Labour marginal which helped the Tories gain a seat from Labour.

I also campaigned for the Tories in 2018 and 2019, which is an odd thing for a Lib Dem to do isn't it?
    I am sure the Tory candidate in Sheffield Hallam in 2017 will understand
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    Good afternoon, everyone.

They absolutely should back Hunt.

Boris is unfit to be in Cabinet, and it's pathetic that Conservative MPs backed him so much.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,970
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

justin124 said:

I don't follow that.

He does.

Nope, Boris takes GB out of the Customs Union, he lets NI voters decide if they want to keep it in NI until a technical solution is found to the Irish border
    And when the EU state its not an option (remember the backstop arrived only when it become obvious the issues the Good Friday agreement created).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    HYUFD said:

Animal_pb said:

And YOU voted Remain in 2016.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Alistair said:

Jaw dropping stuff.

The cost of Megan and Harry's apartment ?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    remember fake tories vote yellow peril when they aren't happy.

true blue proper tories vote brexit or ukip party when they aren't happy.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    The surge in support for Boris after recent days (which I think he'd agree have been a bit suboptimal) is interesting support for the theory that any publicity is good publicity. The Brexit Party has been completely ignored by the media since the Euros and Peterborough, hence their slide.
This discussion has been closed.