Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New named leader hypotheticals from YouGov suggest that the To

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,252
    HYUFD said:

Boris says he would not do a deal with Brexit Party, can deliver Brexit ourselves and make the case to country for modern conservatism

But not 'how'
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    Boris says he will do a FTA with the EU and a new partnership based on mutual defence etc but not through Brussels
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Hunt says chances of a no deal brexit are much higher than a million to one then in the next breath says Parliament will take it off the table, he can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186

The format is much better than the BBC’s.
    (The BBC’s public service role another casualty of Brexit it seems).

Yes. Because there are only 2 candidates.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    Roger said:

Boris is a complete clown. Can anyone seriously think otherwise? He makes Theresa May and even Jeremy Hunt seem like competent politicians.

Hunt is competent though sinister, Boris is just Mr Blobby in a wig.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    HYUFD said:

Boris says he will do a FTA with the EU and a new partnership based on mutual defence etc but not through Brussels

Another whopper!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    HYUFD said:

Boris says he would not do a deal with Brexit Party, can deliver Brexit ourselves and make the case to country for modern conservatism

Yes, he'll spout any old shite, won't he?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    kinabalu said:

@TOPPING

Well we will see how this Labour pivot will play in the polls. Although the acid test will be the election if we get it - which I doubt.

And I don't see the Labour deal as unicorn. It would be the WA plus the PD amended for closer alignment.

I think the pivot is just an explicit articulation of their previous studied ambiguity.

It really is saying both things to both sides.

As for the deal the PD means nothing.

Oh and despite all Nick’s fireside chats with him, Corbyn is a fervent leaver, has been for the past few decades, and as we know he sticks to his principles.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    What did Boris mean about "winning the forthcoming election": it implies a GE in the near future. Has he just gaffed? He is as leaky as sieve!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    I think this is rather good actually.

Only surprise is how strongly Hunt is challenging Boris given that he must know he has lost however well he does tonight.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'
    Unless Boris has some extremely cunning plan that no one else has thought of, his premiership will be destroyed by Brexit within months.

He can wiffle and piffle until the cows return to their vestibules of hay but he can't change the maths of the HoC.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    We are going to be so prepared for no deal that we won’t have to worry about any economic damage.

Yet the EU (which is already better prepared than us) will apparently be so panicked by the risk of impending no deal that they will reverse their previous position and give Boris the agreement he wants.

I don’t think this stacks up. There isn’t a no deal exit what is simultaneously harmless for us and a nightmare for the EU.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    HYUFD said:

But not "how".
    Hat tip to Big G.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'
    Unless Boris has some extremely cunning plan that no one else has thought of, his premiership will be destroyed by Brexit within months.

He can wiffle and piffle until the cows return to their vestibules of hay but he can't change the maths of the HoC.
    He can if he wins a majority
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    HYUFD said:

We already have a partnership of "mutual defence" - it's called NATO and the UK has been a members since its inception or had you and the other Boris fans forgotten that little "fact" as well ?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited July 2019
    Thank goodness I'm not watching this. I might have had to throw my mug of cocoa at the telly.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Only surprise is how strongly Hunt is challenging Boris given that he must know he has lost however well he does tonight.

Davis won the 2005 BBC debate with Cameron so not that surprising, he needs it more
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    MikeL said:

I agree with you, I also think it is good for the Tory party as well. It is quite light hearted.
  • Options

‪There’s a reason why Boris Johnson seeks to avoid scrutiny as much as is humanly possible: he’s utterly crap.‬

And yet he tells idiots what they want to hear and so will walk it
    And the question is will such a tactic work in a GE?

I suspect it will. Because the public go on big picture not detail.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

Neither can change the fact that negotiations have stopped. The extension was contingent on it. Its WA or No Deal, everything else is bullshit.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Artist said:

Apart from the leaving date I can't see much difference between Hunt and Boris on Brexit.

Johnson is a waffler and liar.
    That’s the difference.
    Maybe those of you watching can see why my ballot paper was returned with 'neither'
    At least Hunt looks like he's rehearsed for this. Johnson is just winging it. He's lucky that the audience are Ukipers. I dread him being PM.
    Yes, diehard Remainers dread Boris as he actually believes in the Brexit a majority of voters voted for and will deliver it
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

It’s entirely possible that the maths get even worse. Boris the charlatan is even less likely to get cross-party support than May.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1148675700095881217

Good luck idiots. You'll find the snake oil is just absolutely fine.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

Artist said:

Apart from the leaving date I can't see much difference between Hunt and Boris on Brexit.

Johnson is a waffler and liar.
    That’s the difference.
    Maybe those of you watching can see why my ballot paper was returned with 'neither'
    At least Hunt looks like he's rehearsed for this. Johnson is just winging it. He's lucky that the audience are Ukipers. I dread him being PM.
    Yes, diehard Remainers dread Boris as he actually believes in the Brexit a majority of voters voted for and will deliver it
    Like hell he does.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

It’s entirely possible that the maths get even worse. Boris the charlatan is even less likely to get cross-party support than May.
    :+1:

She will end up laughing her head off on the backbenches.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

What did Boris mean about "winning the forthcoming election": it implies a GE in the near future. Has he just gaffed? He is as leaky as sieve!

Well there is officially a "forecoming election" in 2022. ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Davis won the 2005 BBC debate with Cameron so not that surprising, he needs it more
    So you admit Bozo is losing the debate. Progress!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

He better brush up on his debating skills if thst is to happen.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    I like Hunt bigging up the achievement of winning South West Surrey as a Tory.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Which both surprises and frustrates me.

In opposition Labour push for Ref2 on any Johnson deal or on No Deal and if they get it they campaign 100% for Remain.

In government Labour negotiate a very soft Brexit and hold Ref2 on that versus Remain. They allow the party (members and MPs) to campaign on either side. The Wilson 1975 precedent.

There is nothing bonkers or absurd about any of the above. It stacks up.
    "In government Labour negotiate a very soft Brexit and hold Ref2 on that versus Remain. They allow the party (members and MPs) to campaign on either side. The Wilson 1975 precedent."

Are you certain about this ? If this is indeed the case, then this is a change of policy because Remain is then available to us even with a Labour Brexit proposal.
    I can live with this, if your interpretation is correct.
    The policy is to hold a referendum with remain as an option in all circumstances basically.

Or at least that is my understanding from reading PB.

Edit: and most Labour MPs would campaign for remain.
    1. you have to trust corbyn to actually have a referendum after he wins a commons majority and negotiates a deal he is happy with, I don’t think he would claiming he had a mandate for his policy.

2. I don’t think he will throw his weight behind any remain campaign and will go on holiday whilst it is going on.

He is responsible for this mess by his piss poor performance in the referendum to bring labour voters on side.
    1. He'd have won his mandate on a manifesto that included the referendum, even if Corbyn were to magically turn around and pretend it didn't happen do you think the Labour MPs would go along with that? 85% of Labour MPs already voted for another referendum why would they suddenly not want one when they won a majority on that specific policy?

2. Well he did more events than any other Labour MP last time and this caused the vote to leave, so presumably you wouldn't want him doing much?

3. Although actually unnumbered. Facts aren't really one your side here, Labour voters voted remain in a very similar proportion to SNP and Lib Dem voters. Is it by any chance that you are unhappy you side lost and looking for people to blame?

As I said before, someone who blames Labour for Brexit and think Corbyn is a secret no dealer and doesn't believe Labour will do what they say in the manifesto is a non existent person as far as Labour strategists are concerned.

If you want another referendum more than the other stuff you mention is a problem then Labour has made an offer to you, if you don't believe whatever Labour will offer then you don't matter because Labour can't make any offer to you.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

But not "how".
    Hat tip to Big G.
    Boris voted for the Withdrawal Agreement, he just wants to remove May's temporary Customs Union for GB
  • Options
    Boris says US relationship vital but ministers should not comment on civil service advice.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

HYUFD said:

Another whopper!
    How can you do a deal with the EU that doesn't go through Brussels?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Evidently much better than all the news bulletins which describe the Labour position in exactly those terms.

Which both surprises and frustrates me.

In opposition Labour push for Ref2 on any Johnson deal or on No Deal and if they get it they campaign 100% for Remain.

In government Labour negotiate a very soft Brexit and hold Ref2 on that versus Remain. They allow the party (members and MPs) to campaign on either side. The Wilson 1975 precedent.

There is nothing bonkers or absurd about any of the above. It stacks up.
    "In government Labour negotiate a very soft Brexit and hold Ref2 on that versus Remain. They allow the party (members and MPs) to campaign on either side. The Wilson 1975 precedent."

Are you certain about this ? If this is indeed the case, then this is a change of policy because Remain is then available to us even with a Labour Brexit proposal.
    I can live with this, if your interpretation is correct.
    The policy is to hold a referendum with remain as an option in all circumstances basically.

Or at least that is my understanding from reading PB.

Edit: and most Labour MPs would campaign for remain.
    I know you may not like it but if that is the case, I am all for it. Well done John, Diane, Emily...…………………….
    I signed the revoke petition and voted remain originally, I have cooled* a little on the idea but I have always thought (and still do) remaining was a better option

*Would also be reasonably happy with a sofish Brexit.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    IanB2 said:

We are going to be so prepared for no deal that we won’t have to worry about any economic damage.

Yet the EU (which is already better prepared than us) will apparently be so panicked by the risk of impending no deal that they will reverse their previous position and give Boris the agreement he wants.

I don’t think this stacks up. There isn’t a no deal exit what is simultaneously harmless for us and a nightmare for the EU.

It's BS, simple as that.
  • Options
    Hunt says US UK alliance most important relationship in history but UK Ambassador to DC stays, Boris condemns leaker but refuses to say Darroch will stay beyond Christmas. He and he alone will decide

• Options
    Bozo wants to sack the Ambassador.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hunt says US UK alliance most important relationship in history but UK Ambassador to DC stays, Boris condemns leaker but refuses to say Darroch will stay beyond Christmas. He and he alone will decide

No - Bozo wants to sack him this summer, not le him serve out his term.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris says US relationship vital but ministers should not comment on civil service advice.

Perfect "fudge" answer. :D
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

Nothing wrong with his debating skills other than diehard Remainers don't like what he says
  • Options

Bozo wants to sack the Ambassador.

Do gimp suits come in Boris's size?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Quite right too, the sooner he gets the boot the better and we can start repairing the damage
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    They don’t really believe what they are saying do they?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

Nothing wrong with his debating skills other than diehard Remainers don't like what he says
    He did OK in London Mayor debates in 2008 and 2012 and Red Ken was/is a more formidible debater than Jezza. ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

He did OK in London Mayor debates in 2008 and 2012 and Red Ken was/is a more formidible debater than Jezza. ;)
    Exactly and he is doing fine this evening and with more passion than Hunt
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He did not actually say that - it was typical Boris - fudge
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

Why is he so incredibly shite now, then?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Quite right too, the sooner he gets the boot the better and we can start repairing the damage
    He didn't cause the damage. That was some mate of your man Bozo.

Oh, and New Thread, btw.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

Why have you introduced diehard to remainers
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

He is not, just diehard Remainers refuse to accept the truth from Boris
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

As they want to stop Brexit
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

Not watching (will catch up later) but I suspect he's not much different in debating style from 08/12 it's just the message is different now and you hate it. ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

If Boris actually made a falsifiable claim in this debate you might have a point.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

Truth😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

Not watching (will catch up later) but I suspect he's not much different in debating style from 08/12 it's just the message is different now and you hate it. ;)
    He’s really dire.
    Was there a televised debate with Livingstone?
  • Options
    I’ll give Johnson one credit this blue on blue is bloody brilliant!
  • Options

"Jeremy Hunt looks like he's fucking high" says Mrs RP as the debate comes on...

Mrs RP now shouting words at the telly. One of them has a longer phonetic version ending in "Tuesday"
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited July 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Well there is officially a "forecoming election" in 2022. ;)
    I am well aware 2022 is the last date for a GE. I would not use the word forthcoming to describe an election 3 years away. I think he showed how inept he is by blurting out a GE this year! You keep on saying he should have one so dont be surprised if he is going to have one, which he will probably do worse than May i hasten to add!
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    I am not convinced by either of them.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

He’s really dire.
    Yes there were debates for 2008 and 2012 Mayoralty elections (the London Mayor debates were really what paved the way for general election debates I think)

They may be on YouTube if you do some digging.
  • Options
    Well Johnson no answer on the ambassador, no answer on heathrow third runway, an appalling answer of gay rights and abortion in NI and several other things if he is the answer....

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited July 2019
    J

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

He’s really dire.
    I’m not watching and I think that Johnson’s best years are behind him but I suspect that he’s the sort of person who can adjust his performance to be 10% better than the opposition in almost any circumstance. He performs to the opposition not to absolute potential. Lots of people are like that.

Plus, people here have an opinion and adjust any facts to fit that opinion. You think Johnson’s a dick (see what I did there) - he could be performing as if he were the lovechild of Churchill, Aristotle and Disraeli and you’d still think him a dick.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Well Johnson no answer on the ambassador, no answer on heathrow third runway, an appalling answer of gay rights and abortion in NI and several other things if he is the answer....

Its the Conservative Party leadership contest...
  • Options
    A much better chaired debate than the BBC effort.

You can see why the diehard Tories like Boris, but the rest of us have just seen his weaknesses on display and can only be left fearing what lies ahead.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

You can see why the diehard Tories like Boris, but the rest of us have just seen his weaknesses on display and can only be left fearing what lies ahead.

I’m not even sure why “diehard Tories” would like Boris since he basically failed to answer any question. Who but an idiot would trust him?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I’m not even sure why “diehard Tories” would like Boris since he basically failed to answer any question. Who but an idiot would trust him?
    Who but an idiot would be a diehard Tory.
  • Options
    People on here making the usual mistake focussing too much on detail - eg did he answer tbe Q.

General public always go on big picture / general impression.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But not 'how'

Was it with a vengeance?
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    chloe said:

I am not convinced by either of them.

Shocking
This discussion has been closed.