Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo’s assertions on leaving by October 31st fail to convince

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited July 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » BoJo’s assertions on leaving by October 31st fail to convince Brexit date punters

Betdata.io chart of Betfair Exchange

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    first, like Labour in ComRes.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    2nd rate like Steve Bruce.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Some unnecessary language in the headline.
    "Bo Jo's assertions fail to convince " would have sufficed.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Don't you mean 3rd rate like Steve Bruce.

Equally we could wait 300 posts and still be accurate both on his rate and the number of other options Mike Ashley would have preferred first...
  • Options
    eek said:

Equally we could wait 300 posts and still be accurate both on his rate and the number of other options Mike Ashley would have preferred first...
    Indeed. If Steve Bruce is 2nd rate, that makes Big Sam first rate. Which I, for one, dispute.
  • Options

Bruce did well at Hull as I recall. I think he will keep Newcastle up, but I suspect he will not be popular.

I think Villa will struggle, Southampton look poor. There are several other reams that could get sucked into the relegation scrap. For the first time in years, I do not fear for Leicester though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Boris is committed to deliver Brexit on October 31st whether through a renegotiated Deal or No Deal, including still trying to prorogue Parliament in late October for a November Queen's Despite today's vote. Boris will also not ask for an extension.

So most likely anti Brexit MPs will have to VONC a Boris Government and force a general election or a coalition of Remainers Government to prevent Brexit taking place by the end of the year
  • Options
    eek said:

Touché
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Just because a new thread has been started it doesn't mean I wont stop being angry and ranty about the social care policy failure.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2019

Just because a new thread has been started it doesn't mean I wont stop being angry and ranty about the social care policy failure.

The surprising thing about social care is that (a) it's very expensive, and (b) the people who work in social care are so badly paid.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Bruce did well at Hull as I recall. I think he will keep Newcastle up, but I suspect he will not be popular.

I think Villa will struggle, Southampton look poor. There are several other reams that could get sucked into the relegation scrap. For the first time in years, I do not fear for Leicester though.
    You reckon? Not many up here share such optimism. Most would see 19th as a wonder season. The club is in a right state, and Toon fans tend to be, by nature, optimists.
  • Options

It is certainly a mess, but the demographics are such that it is going to be a bigger one. It is not just funding that is an issue, but also a shortage of good staff. Fortunately, on the Isle of Wight full time jobs are at a premium, so well staffed.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    Foxy said:

Did you fear for Leicester in the summer of 2015?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802

Pro_Rata said:

Thinking of how the actors would play the 14 days after any No Deal VoNC, needing to join to at least extend.

Various LDs, Inds and certainly Tory rebels will not want Corbyn,. Lab will make an effort to resist. There will also be differences on what to do, Extend & Referend, (Lib) Extend & Negotiate More (Lab).

Do Labour's rules even allow an MP who is not party leader to become PM? I imagine the Labour leadership, who never miss a beat in forcing the left's advantage within the party, would push Long-Bailey as a typically cursory compromise if at all possible and the 14 day limit would hold the other parties to the fire. Labour leadership could well get their way, the likely quid pro quo being a confidence agreement, as such, would cover just Extension.

Even then that temporary government has to be wound down within the terms of FTPA and, in the mirror of Boris trying to force an election as described by Mr Meeks' thread header, Labour would have to agree a dissolution with Boris, or Boris would have to bring a VoNC, or the smaller parties, having concluded the agreement.would have to navigate a process.of raising a non LOTO VoNC.

The Labour left might be tempted to hold on for a bit, see what executive levers they could pull, and establish RLB as de facto leader ahead of a post GE party leadership election which, they might hope, would by that point be very likely to rubber-stamp the situation on the ground.

What price RLB spends more days of 2019 as prime minister than Boris does?

Unless there's any prospect of Labour commanding a majority in the current HoC (there isn't) wouldn't Boris stay as PM after a VoNC until the GE?
    Someone has to be in post to ask for the extension.

Unless the bizarre idea of sending HMQ to Brussels is intended to happen after a VoNC.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It is certainly a mess, but the demographics are such that it is going to be a bigger one. It is not just funding that is an issue, but also a shortage of good staff. Fortunately, on the Isle of Wight full time jobs are at a premium, so well staffed.
    "Fortunately, on the Isle of Wight full time jobs are at a premium"

Every cloud, eh.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    It has been a sad night and I have missed all the goings on here. A young deer that often visits our garden walked up to me (it has never done that before) as if to seek help (I know you shouldn't attribute human emotions to animals). Its head had a wound that was infested with greenbottles. After looking after it for 2 hours while waiting for help it was despatched with a shot to the head and then the heart.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Thinking of how the actors would play the 14 days after any No Deal VoNC, needing to join to at least extend.

Various LDs, Inds and certainly Tory rebels will not want Corbyn,. Lab will make an effort to resist. There will also be differences on what to do, Extend & Referend, (Lib) Extend & Negotiate More (Lab).

Do Labour's rules even allow an MP who is not party leader to become PM? I imagine the Labour leadership, who never miss a beat in forcing the left's advantage within the party, would push Long-Bailey as a typically cursory compromise if at all possible and the 14 day limit would hold the other parties to the fire. Labour leadership could well get their way, the likely quid pro quo being a confidence agreement, as such, would cover just Extension.

Even then that temporary government has to be wound down within the terms of FTPA and, in the mirror of Boris trying to force an election as described by Mr Meeks' thread header, Labour would have to agree a dissolution with Boris, or Boris would have to bring a VoNC, or the smaller parties, having concluded the agreement.would have to navigate a process.of raising a non LOTO VoNC.

The Labour left might be tempted to hold on for a bit, see what executive levers they could pull, and establish RLB as de facto leader ahead of a post GE party leadership election which, they might hope, would by that point be very likely to rubber-stamp the situation on the ground.

Unless there's any prospect of Labour commanding a majority in the current HoC (there isn't) wouldn't Boris stay as PM after a VoNC until the GE?

Unless the bizarre idea of sending HMQ to Brussels is intended to happen after a VoNC.
    Good point. Although I suspect in that situation Boris would grudgingly ask for an extension so he could stay as PM until the GE.

Maybe we should ask @HYUFD since he clearly knows Boris's every thought.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Grieve said he is not interested in the HMQ plan.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    I’ll never completely get over that Halo Jones was never finished.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Every cloud, eh.
    I feel for you - no one likes to see an animal suffer.
  • Options
    kjh said:

It has been a sad night and I have missed all the goings on here. A young deer that often visits our garden walked up to me (it has never done that before) as if to seek help (I know you shouldn't attribute human emotions to animals). Its head had a wound that was infested with greenbottles. After looking after it for 2 hours while waiting for help it was despatched with a shot to the head and then the heart.

Well. At least if it was looking for help, it found it of a sort. Much admiration for your kindness.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris is committed to deliver Brexit on October 31st whether through a renegotiated Deal or No Deal, including still trying to prorogue Parliament in late October for a November Queen's Despite today's vote. Boris will also not ask for an extension.

So most likely anti Brexit MPs will have to VONC a Boris Government and force a general election or a coalition of Remainers Government to prevent Brexit taking place by the end of the year

Things Boris has been committed to in the past include Britain remaining in the EU, Turkey joining it, and robust criticism of Donald Trump. None lasted.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Every cloud, eh.
    Fortunate for my MiL!, less so for my wife's cousins who have mostly moved to the mainland to find work.

Island medical services are pretty pisspoor though.
  • Options
    kjh said:

It sounds as if you had a sad night, nature can be pretty brutal.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Things Boris has been committed to in the past include Britain remaining in the EU, Turkey joining it, and robust criticism of Donald Trump. None lasted.
    Not to mention discerning he wasn't the right person to be PM.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    kjh said:

I really feel for you, it's very hard when you really don't know how to help or what to do for the best. Things like that upset me for days even when I know it really shouldn't.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,647
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed he has also committed to no GE before Brexit. His only options are BINO or not meeting one of his commitments.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Good point. Although I suspect in that situation Boris would grudgingly ask for an extension so he could stay as PM until the GE.

Maybe we should ask @HYUFD since he clearly knows Boris's every thought.
    A Boris flip.flop on most things is easy to imagine.

It's just he's in soooo very deep on this one, my instinct is he will feel he must keep digging.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

Lyndsey was right, but for *reasons* he disagrees with himself now that we have incontrovertible proof.

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1151928167214530560

It's sad to see people so broken by another that they must debase themselves like that.

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed he has also committed to no GE before Brexit. His only options are BINO or not meeting one of his commitments.
    Certainly I do not know why people still believe that because someone says they will do something, even contradictory things, it means it will happen because it must. Heck, I hope Boris can surprise and pull off some of what he says he will do, but he simply cannot do it all even if it is the second coming of Jesus.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Not to mention discerning he wasn't the right person to be PM.
    He occasionally gets things right!
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    kjh said:

Very sad news. Red in tooth and claw.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

kjh said:

Very sad news. Red in tooth and claw.
    Puts our musings about Boris and his kipper in perspective.
  • Options
    NYT: "Trump Disavows ‘Send Her Back’ Chant as G.O.P. Frets Over Ugly Phrase"

Looks like the private polling was utterly shit for Donald...
  • Options
    I increasingly get the impression that the Democrats would rather lose the next presidential election while retaining purity of thought than winning it if that involves any sort of compromise with moderate ideology.
  • Options
    Ok, kids, something is going on down.

Now Express spashes on dementia and social care. Boris will sort it.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1151967205929705472
  • Options
    The comments under that Omar Ilhan tweet are something to behold.
    Essentially, "You married your brother".
    "So what Trump shags his daughter."
    And we think we are divided and have a poor level of political discourse.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:

I increasingly get the impression that the Democrats would rather lose the next presidential election while retaining purity of thought than winning it if that involves any sort of compromise with moderate ideology.

This . This. :+1: x 100.

Dems are falling right into Trump's trap.

He may be an idiot. He not be even able to read. But he has low cunning of the highest order, and it does not want Biden taking PA.

• Options

So he disavows it, but not so much that he felt compelled to say something at the time. Right.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So he disavows it, but not so much that he felt compelled to say something at the time. Right.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    DougSeal said:

I’ll never completely get over that Halo Jones was never finished.
    Absolutely. Still to my mind the best work Moore ever did. Helped of course by Ian Gibson's brilliant art work.

I have met Moore a couple of times as I have friends who are comic book artists and in spite of his reputation he has always seemed amiable enough. It is remarkable the impact he has had on Comics as a western art form over the last four decades and I am truly sorry he is retiring.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thatcher: every PM needs a Willy.

Boris: every PM needs a minor army officer who has failed in every political post he has held.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Looking lazily at that front page, I’m wondering whether Boris’s dementia is so advanced he needs residential care. Not quite the effect they are aiming for....
  • Options

AndyJS said:

This . This. :+1: x 100.

Dems are falling right into Trump's trap.

He may be an idiot. He not be even able to read. But he has low cunning of the highest order, and it does not want Biden taking PA.

Don't see it myself. I see someone aware of poor polling desperately thrashing about for lines which will stick as his less than stellar record in office comes in for scrutiny and sustained analysis and criticism.
    But hey, I'm not the target audience.
  • Options
    Rebel anti Brexit MPs are planning to ask the Queen to attend the next European Council summit as she is entitled to as Head of State and request an extension of Article 50 as a last resort to avoid No Deal (PM Boris of course would have to submit to the Queen as he is only her chief Minister, she is still head of the executive in the UK).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49040128

If true appalling, I expect the Duke of Edinburgh would be outraged as much as he is still going in this attempt to force the Queen to do diehard Remainers dirty work. Hopefully she would refuse and insist on a general election if necessary
  • Options
    I know there was that story that IDS is really popular among Tory members, but I still don't really understand why. What about him is so bloody great?

Never mind the obvious fact that of all the reasons the Brexit pledges might not happen Boris wavering on them is really not the big issue. The big issue would be why he might waver on them, such as them being undeliverable.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    AndyJS said:

It’s not “the Democrats” who choose the candidate, it’s the voters.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    What extreme Remainers don’t realise is just how insanely popular IDS is across the country, and among all ages too.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sorry to hear that but sounds like you did the best you could for the deer
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1151977101244997633
    I guess I was wrong that the Independents might split the vote between them - only one of them getting any traction there! But result as expected.
  • Options

What extreme Remainers don’t realise is just how insanely popular IDS is across the country, and among all ages too.
    :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Rebel anti Brexit MPs are planning to ask the Queen to attend the next European Council summit as she is entitled to as Head of State and request an extension of Article 50 as a last resort to avoid No Deal (PM Boris of course would have to submit to the Queen as he is only her chief Minister, she is still head of the executive in the UK).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49040128

If true appalling, I expect the Duke of Edinburgh would be outraged as much as he is still going in this attempt to force the Queen to do diehard Remainers dirty work. Hopefully she would refuse and insist on a general election if necessary

Why on Earth would the D of E be especially outraged?
    Why should we care if he is?
    And why on Earth should we be expected to believe such a plan emerged on the very day it was shown there is nowhere near a majority for a No Deal exit?
  • Options

Up here people talk of little else. Indeed, a tear often wells up at the thought of the greatest PM we never had.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

The idea of a DPM is a) tell the PM truths no one else would dare b) be an excellent committee chair across various cabinet committees/departments and agendas (thereby releaving some of the burden).

And IDS is...?

• Options
    edited July 2019

I am going to a dinner with IDS and Dominic Raab tomorrow evening (with rumours of a special blond visitor too) and I can tell you IDS goes down very well with his members and most of his constituents
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

I am going to a dinner with IDS and Dominic Raab tomorrow evening (with rumours of a special blonde visitor too) and I can tell you IDS goes down very well with his members and most of his constituents
    I believe it, I just don't understand why. I understand the appeal of Boris, I understood (to a degree) why May was riding high for awhile, but I'm just not seeing it with IDS. There are MPs who have been more strident in Brexitism, more capable in office, more populous on the backbenchers, what has he got that so many others do not?
  • Options
    Anyone know when the Northumbria PCC result is out? When will we have the tastiest PCC who ever PCC ed? Or possibly a LD?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Former SNP East Dunbartonshire MP John Nicholson on This Week refuses to rule out trying to regain his seat from Jo Swinson at the next general election
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Up here people talk of little else. Indeed, a tear often wells up at the thought of the greatest PM we never had.
    He was, indeed, a titan among men, a giant of modern politics. I mean, who could forget his universal credit scheme, one of the finest pieces of post war public policy since silent bat people.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

2019 election is still better than evens...

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Anyone know when the Northumbria PCC result is out? When will we have the tastiest PCC who ever PCC ed? Or possibly a LD?

Probably tomorrow I should think. If the first PCC elections were anything to go by not many places bother to count them overnight.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Boris: every PM needs a minor army officer who has failed in every political post he has held.

IDS won most votes in both local elections he led the Tories at
  • Options

The idea of a DPM is a) tell the PM truths no one else would dare b) be an excellent committee chair across various cabinet committees/departments and agendas (thereby releaving some of the burden).

And IDS is...?

Another important role is a la Prescott. To act as a credible, trusted and sympathetic conduit for the wing of the Party not in the ascendancy, so that their legitimate concerns are represented at the highest levels.
    Which is IDS all over.
  • Options

“Insanely Popular”

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    It's the perfect campaign promise. They see the newspaper, send back the ballot, throw away the paper and forget they ever read it.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    dixiedean said:

And IDS is...?

Another important role is a la Prescott. To act as a credible, trusted and sympathetic conduit for the wing of the Party not in the ascendancy, so that their legitimate concerns are represented at the highest levels.
    Which is IDS all over.
    IDS would be there to reassure the grassroots Boris will deliver Brexit at last (with the added bonus of annoying TSE)
  • Options
    Brexit strategy going well for the Tories in the Midlands aye.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Verification tonight, counting tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    The polling staff did seem suspiciously pleased to see me. Thought it was my winning smile, good looks and attractive personality.
    Obviously I merely relieved their boredom.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

While not great for the Tories, Labour were second in Daventry at the last general election with 3 times the LD vote, that is a disastrous result for Corbyn Labour to come last.

Even William Hague used to win council by elections, for an opposition leader to see his party lose 10% in a council by election is a dreadful result
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    AndyJS said:

Trump is moderate??
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

Surely they're just venting their frustration that the Tories haven't quite delivered Boris yet.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Former SNP East Dunbartonshire MP John Nicholson on This Week refuses to rule out trying to regain his seat from Jo Swinson at the next general election

Given she beat him at a canter in 2017, not sure she'll be quaking in her boots. Didn't seem to enjoy much of an incumbency boost in the short time he had the seat.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The polling staff did seem suspiciously pleased to see me. Thought it was my winning smile, good looks and attractive personality.
    Could be both?
  • Options

It's the perfect campaign promise. They see the newspaper, send back the ballot, throw away the paper and forget they ever read it.
    :lol:

Who is the guy in the photo? Pretty sure he was in Corrie, playing an abattoir owner.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

AndyJS said:

Trump is moderate??
    Moderate Democrats. Joe Biden is too moderate for some people in the party.
  • Options

I think you must mean diehard Remainers don't realise that an IDS is not just for Christmas, it is for life.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    HYUFD said:

I am going to a dinner with IDS and Dominic Raab tomorrow evening (with rumours of a special blond visitor too) and I can tell you IDS goes down very well with his members and most of his constituents
    Congratulations at getting a couple of double entendres in there.

And commiserations on having dinner with IDS and Raab.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Could be both?
    There is a massive irony here between the populist refrain that the elite and the experts are out of touch/do not represent ordinary folk/have no mandate from the voice of the people.

And yet, when offered a vote, most ordinary people can't be bloody arsed.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    If some Tory MPs are planning to defect to the LDs, the day after the Brecon & Radnor by-election might be a likely time for it to happen.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I am going to a dinner with IDS and Dominic Raab tomorrow evening (with rumours of a special blonde visitor too) and I can tell you IDS goes down very well with his members and most of his constituents
    I believe it, I just don't understand why. I understand the appeal of Boris, I understood (to a degree) why May was riding high for awhile, but I'm just not seeing it with IDS. There are MPs who have been more strident in Brexitism, more capable in office, more populous on the backbenchers, what has he got that so many others do not?
    Six inches of solid oak.

Between his ears.

• Options
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Verification tonight, counting tomorrow morning.
    I can hardly wait.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Whoop! Top result for Remainers.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    DougSeal said:

“Insanely Popular”

If I read that right, his net rating is a solid -20
  • Options
    Piers Morgan on This Week says only Michelle Obama or Oprah Winfrey could beat Trump
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If some Tory MPs are planning to defect to the LDs, the day after the Brecon & Radnor by-election might be a likely time for it to happen.

I was hoping the half hour when Boris is being driven to the Palace myself.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Could be both?
    I strive, at all times, to be a winning combination.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Foxy said:
    The LDs were the only explicit anti Brexit Party standing, 50.5% of voters still did not vote LD
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    ERG member Chris Heaton-Harris‘s constituency. :)
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I was hoping the half hour when Boris is being driven to the Palace myself.
    I considering that, but I think a positive rather than a negative way of doing it is more likely.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:
    The LDs were the only explicit anti Brexit Party standing, 50.5% of voters still did not vote LD
    Yep, won from third place.

• Options
    Christ. This campaign really exists:

https://twitter.com/CampaignForCW
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Congratulations at getting a couple of double entendres in there.

And commiserations on having dinner with IDS and Raab.
    Oops, yes unintentional missed those.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    HYUFD said:

Interestingly, Jo Swinson actually increased her absolute vote tally in 2015. That, I suspect, is unique among LibDem MPs that year.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Piers Morgan on This Week says only Michelle Obama or Oprah Winfrey could beat Trump

That's probably an example of a statement which is made for effect, rather than being literally true. I don't think he really thinks those two could win.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IDS won most votes in both local elections he led the Tories at
    But his vote was down in 2002 and barely changed in 2003. Those against elections in the run up to the disaster of 2001. What was happening at that time was Kennedy's Lib Dems were making hay against Blair's Labour, and the Tories were marooned in between.

IDS was an embarrassing fiasco as leader, and you can't rewrite history on that.
This discussion has been closed.