Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Small minds and Brexit. Jeremy Corbyn’s latest gambit

Comments

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited August 2019
    Sandpit said:

So, if Johnson and Corbyn are both opposed to a proposed government of “unity” (sic), where do the proposers get 200 defectors from the two largest parties for their majority in a vote of confidence.

I could just about see a couple of dozen MPs willing to commit almost certain career suicide over Brexit, but there’s no chance of a couple of hundred doing so.

Indeed. The thread reads like a Remainer fantasy, with ever more absurd & fantastic people being proposed for a GONU. (Liz Saville Roberts -- she has only been in Parliament for 4 years!)

Almost all MPs are now thinking, "There is a GE coming, feck, will I survive?"

Their absolute best bet for survival is to stick with their party. There will be minimal dissenters.

A handful of maniacs like Grieve may want to die in a ditch for the EU. Most don't.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Let us float above the trees and survey the wood.

Yes, we could get a GNU with Not Corbyn as PM. This is unlikely but possible. But that GNU could not deliver Ref2. All it could do is extend Art 50 to allow a GE.

And for Brexit to be stopped (via Ref2) that GE must put the only feasible alternative to Boris Johnson into Number 10. A chap by the name of Jeremy Corbyn.

Stopping Brexit means PM Jezza. There is no way around this.

Again - sorry.

Not so. The most likely outcome, other than a Bozo win, is a balanced parliament in which the remain parties command a majority. I’d expect it most unlikely that JC would emerge as PM from such a scenario.
    Why? The most likely scenario is that Labour is still by some way the largest party in such a remain party majority. So why should Corbyn move, to be replaced by somebody dictated by their electoral opponents?
    Because otherwise they don't have to vote for him.

It has happened before that the leader of a minor party (or no party) has been made PM in an emergency as a compromise. It happened in 1940, 1916, and 1852 (when Russell and Palmerston couldn't agree which of them should be PM and settled on Aberdeen as a compromise).
    Probably missing something in your argument here but Churchill was a Conservative Cabinet member before becoming PM in 1940 and Lloyd George also a very senior Liberal in 1916; neither was in a minority or no party.
    You've misunderstood what I wrote, although with hindsight it wasn't clear. I meant 'people who were leaders of a minor party, or not leaders of any party at all.'
    Right, I see. All this talk about who should lead this unsavory temporary government of all the minorities is rapidly shifting me back to Johnson, albeit that he himself has to (seek to) call an election early next month with polling day pre October 31st. Would save an awful lot of trouble.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    Ken said:

I have been reading this site for quite a few years, but this is my first comment here and hopefully my last. Thanks to PB I made a few bob betting on dear old Donald Trump and I read PB as an aid to my flutters.

How is this piece aiding the political betting of anyone? You may be all in favour of Corbyn or you may hate his guts but all I want from a political betting site are ideas about placing political bets.

For the record, Corbyn is a Brexiteer of many years standing. He heads a party that has been taken over by Federasts, but there is no evidence to suggest that he has changed his views.

He wants to take over after a no-deal exit that comes with political chaos in its wake. So the last thing he wants is to take over now and sort out the mess. Hence his letter which he must know that the minor parties will not accept and which will rally to Tories to Boris. So, his aim is to make sure that the vote of no-confidence which he has to table will be won by the government.

OK, back to political betting posts, please.

Congratulations on your 23rd contribution to the site.

Most of the below discussion is very pertinent to the question of who is the next PM. If any of the long shot options - Clarke, Lucas, Hermon, etc. - came in, they would be very good bets at current odds.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Joe denly is a poor mans james vince....

Other way around. He got 30 not 03.

But England haven't much batting to come. I'm hoping Archer feasted on our bowlers last week to good effect and got his eye in.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I never realised that "unity" is a synonym for "professional liars manoeuvering in the hope of achieving their desired aim while others compromise around them". One learns.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited August 2019
    Ken said:

I have been reading this site for quite a few years, but this is my first comment here and hopefully my last. Thanks to PB I made a few bob betting on dear old Donald Trump and I read PB as an aid to my flutters.

How is this piece aiding the political betting of anyone? You may be all in favour of Corbyn or you may hate his guts but all I want from a political betting site are ideas about placing political bets.

Putting aside the fact that this appears to be your 23rd comment here, I would suggest the bit in italics is actually very clear about potential bets. And @AlastairMeeks is usually very assiduous in doing that.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,906

Ken said:

Putting aside the fact that this appears to be your 23rd comment here, I would suggest the bit in italics is actually very clear about potential bets. And @AlastairMeeks is usually very assiduous in doing that.
    Yes, bizarre comment. Meeks isn't shy in making tips. Maybe the poster didn't read all the way down.
  • Options
    KenKen Posts: 24
    Well, the others were two years ago and I had quite forgotten making them. How does first comment in two years sound?

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    Sandpit said:

So, if Johnson and Corbyn are both opposed to a proposed government of “unity” (sic), where do the proposers get 200 defectors from the two largest parties for their majority in a vote of confidence.

I could just about see a couple of dozen MPs willing to commit almost certain career suicide over Brexit, but there’s no chance of a couple of hundred doing so.

Johnson and Corbyn would both be very happy to expel anyone voting against their own party whip in a vote of confidence, people don’t seem to realise this.

Once a VoNC is caried then it is totally different. Voting for an emergency PM with support from all sides would not be political suicide.

For many MPs allowing No Deal will be political suicide.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

Ken said:

He lost me at “federasts”.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Corbyn remains a far left wretch. Would you put into power someone who happily marches beneath Hitler banners? Whose right hand man openly describes himself as a fascist?

Then why contemplate it for Stalin and Marxist, the far left equivalents?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    IanB2 said:

Ken said:

For the record, Corbyn is a Brexiteer of many years standing. He heads a party that has been taken over by Federasts, but there is no evidence to suggest that he has changed his views.

He wants to take over after a no-deal exit that comes with political chaos in its wake. So the last thing he wants is to take over now and sort out the mess. Hence his letter which he must know that the minor parties will not accept and which will rally to Tories to Boris. So, his aim is to make sure that the vote of no-confidence which he has to table will be won by the government.

It looks like his last comment 2 years ago also used the word "federasts" so at least he's consistent.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Sandpit said:

Indeed. The thread reads like a Remainer fantasy, with ever more absurd & fantastic people being proposed for a GONU. (Liz Saville Roberts -- she has only been in Parliament for 4 years!)

Their absolute best bet for survival is to stick with their party. There will be minimal dissenters.

A handful of maniacs like Grieve may want to die in a ditch for the EU. Most don't.
    A post filled with sanity.

What are you doing here?
  • Options
    OK, readers of this site don't go for Corbyn, by and large, but this article reeks of anti-Corbyn feeling wrapped up in wishful thinking, and so do many of the comments below it. But the issue soon to confront everyone (who cares about it) is how to prevent Johnson leading the lemmings over a no-deal cliff, and Corbyn's time-limited proposal is the only available way to stop that. Wirh maybe a tweak or two, Corbyn's proposal will carry, is my bet.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Ken said:

It looks like his last comment 2 years ago also used the word "federasts" so at least he's consistent.
    What is a federast? It is somebody who only buggers Martin Selmayr?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,375
    ydoethur said:

Josh Hazlewood is a officially a bastard.

“Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard ?”
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    matt said:

I never realised that "unity" is a synonym for "professional liars manoeuvering in the hope of achieving their desired aim while others compromise around them". One learns.

Unity actually means 50% +1 in the current context.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Having said that, it is also true that Jo Swinson's response was a bit inept in its wording.

She can always recant and say she tried, but her back is to the wall and the only hope for NoDeal is to tolerate a Corbyn GNU.

The real question is whether a Corbyn GNU would actually extend A50. "Now we have the Papacy we mean to enjoy it" as the Pope Leo X apparently said.
    A Corbyn GNU which didn't extend would surely only last days.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Seems like Tory remainers are taking a much more measured approach than the Bollocks to Brexit party.

• Options

matt said:

GOMOO not GONU
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    If "[t]he possibilities are therefore unthreatening leaders of minor parties or clapped-out grandees", might I suggest we look to the traditional home of unthreatening clapped-out grandees: the Lords?

Tempting though it is for any number of reasons to suggest Michael Heseltine, if we're restricting ourselves to Labour peers, who better than that pro-European, deal-making ex-Brussels Commissioner, Peter Mandelson? (OK, only joking - semi-serious option on the same logic: Kinnock).
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Josh Hazlewood is a officially a bastard.

“Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard ?”
    He's on course for all ten for pretty well sod all.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Grieve isn't actually a terrible shout (though I have laid him!)

If he resigned from the Tory party, and committed not to stand at the impending GE, might that be enough for Labour? Even then, probably not. And that's why the GNU isn't going to happen...
  • Options

If "[t]he possibilities are therefore unthreatening leaders of minor parties or clapped-out grandees", might I suggest we look to the traditional home of unthreatening clapped-out grandees: the Lords?

Tempting though it is for any number of reasons to suggest Michael Heseltine, if we're restricting ourselves to Labour peers, who better than that pro-European, deal-making ex-Brussels Commissioner, Peter Mandelson? (OK, only joking - semi-serious option on the same logic: Kinnock).

Peerage for Jack Straw?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Really? I wouldn't have thought he was your type.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

HYUFD said:

Rather than analyzing who is saying what, just look at the arithmetic. Swinson, at the most, can be a spoiler, not a maker.

Not necessarily

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1144630145208246272?s=20
    No way does that 19% stick with Brexit Party if it results in Swinson PM dsimantling Brexit. Just, no way. You'd end up with Brexit Party candidates saying "don't vote for me - vote Tory". At least half would peel off.

I'd like to see some polling of that 19% on the question "If voting for the Brexit Party would result in a Prime Minister who would prevent Brexit, would you change your vote? If so, to which Party?"

I suspect that the Tories already have that polling in their back pocket.
    Yes I'm sure you're right. I'd be interested to know if any of the people answering the poll were saying Brexit Party to exert influence while having no intention of actually voting for them. And at the other end of the scale, there must be a chunk of those 19% who don't even support Brexit and are making the oft made mistake of thinking no deal means no Brexit.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    edited August 2019
    TGOHF said:

But Jezza is only promising a ref if he wins a majority in a GE.

So that ain’t happening.

Jezza can see we are leaving - this is just a fig leaf for the post Brexit election.

It could be that he is hoping for a Tory No Deal and a GE after that. But this doesn't matter. If we get a GE before Brexit, the Labour manifesto is going to have Ref2. No doubt about that.

Then if they are largest party, he as PM will have to deliver it in return for the backing of LD and SNP. Thus the fig leaf falls and what is revealed is ... the only feasible path to No Brexit.

Which is PM Corbyn.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Cameron had only been in Parliament for four years when he became LOTO, and LOTO should be prepared to become PM at short notice.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I've laid nearly everyone who's anyone in Westminster. Across a variety of markets, natürlich.
  • Options
    In Ken we trust...

but not at 25-1
  • Options
    The point of this preliminary flirting is to get as many Tories as possible into bed. The swiping right has started. JC was swiftly dismissed. Ken Clarke and Harriet Harman next to see if the punters get hard.
    This will continue until Parliament re-assembles. Either a consensus or not will emerge.
    Which was why Corbyn's letter and Swinson's response were vital first moves. Want a bit on the side Tories? Don't worry, it won't be Jezza.
    Wouldn't be surprised if hadn't been co-ordinated.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Seems like Tory remainers are taking a much more measured approach than the Bollocks to Brexit party.

It does seem that way.
    Swinson is more against Corbyn than preventing no deal under any circumstances.
    Which feeds into, the Tory little helpers tag.
    In contrast the Lucas response to Corbyn was spot on.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

Cameron had only been in Parliament for four years when he became LOTO, and LOTO should be prepared to become PM at short notice.

I have met Liz Saville-Roberts. Have you?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

matt said:

GOMOO not GONU
    MOO? Please explain.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

I've laid nearly everyone who's anyone in Westminster. Across a variety of markets, natürlich.
    Wow.

Even Lloyd George didn't have that sort of energy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    edited August 2019
    eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

Johnson and Corbyn would both be very happy to expel anyone voting against their own party whip in a vote of confidence, people don’t seem to realise this.

Once a VoNC is caried then it is totally different. Voting for an emergency PM with support from all sides would not be political suicide.

No it isn’t, that’s the whole point.

Boris Johnson remains leader of the Conservative Party, and Jeremy Corbyn remains leader of the Labour Party.

Anyone who votes against their party whip in a vote of confidence can be expected to lose the whip, deselected at the next election and probably be expelled from the party.

Dominic Grieve might be okay with that, but I don’t think 200 current Con and Lab MPs will be.

Corbyn’s made it quite clear today, that’s either he’s the next PM or we have an election (on a date of Boris Johnson’s choosing).

Corbyn is quite happy for Brexit to happen in six weeks’ time with no deal, he’s never been a supporter of the EU and thinks he can benefit from an election at a time of considerable pressure on the government.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

I never suggested she should be PM. I just pointed out that only 4 Years in Parliament is not a good reason to exclude someone.
  • Options

It has to be someone who a majority of MPs think is experienced and competent to be PM (not necessarily great, but able to deal with another emergency should one occur whilst in temporary charge) and who demonstrably has no axe to grind in terms of wanting the job long term.

Corbyn is neither of those - even a fair number of his own MPs severely doubt his competence.

Realistically - as Swinson has said - hard to see past Harman or Clarke.

Clarke is a stretch given they need so many Labour votes. Harman has limited experience of government. John Prescott has the govt experience (and has previously spoken out in support of Jezza i think?)
  • Options

In Ken we trust...

but not at 25-1

Are you saying it is passed beyond our Ken?
  • Options
    Oh feck, our one decent batsman gone.

England will be pretty lucky to make 200 here.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

JohnO said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

Let us float above the trees and survey the wood.

Yes, we could get a GNU with Not Corbyn as PM. This is unlikely but possible. But that GNU could not deliver Ref2. All it could do is extend Art 50 to allow a GE.

And for Brexit to be stopped (via Ref2) that GE must put the only feasible alternative to Boris Johnson into Number 10. A chap by the name of Jeremy Corbyn.

Stopping Brexit means PM Jezza. There is no way around this.

Again - sorry.

Not so. The most likely outcome, other than a Bozo win, is a balanced parliament in which the remain parties command a majority. I’d expect it most unlikely that JC would emerge as PM from such a scenario.
    Why? The most likely scenario is that Labour is still by some way the largest party in such a remain party majority. So why should Corbyn move, to be replaced by somebody dictated by their electoral opponents?
    Because otherwise they don't have to vote for him.

It has happened before that the leader of a minor party (or no party) has been made PM in an emergency as a compromise. It happened in 1940, 1916, and 1852 (when Russell and Palmerston couldn't agree which of them should be PM and settled on Aberdeen as a compromise).
    Probably missing something in your argument here but Churchill was a Conservative Cabinet member before becoming PM in 1940 and Lloyd George also a very senior Liberal in 1916; neither was in a minority or no party.
    You've misunderstood what I wrote, although with hindsight it wasn't clear. I meant 'people who were leaders of a minor party, or not leaders of any party at all.'
    Right, I see. All this talk about who should lead this unsavory temporary government of all the minorities is rapidly shifting me back to Johnson, albeit that he himself has to (seek to) call an election early next month with polling day pre October 31st. Would save an awful lot of trouble.
    At this stage, can he be trusted to call an election pre Oct 31st? I'd argue not...
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    dixiedean said:

The point of this preliminary flirting is to get as many Tories as possible into bed. The swiping right has started. JC was swiftly dismissed. Ken Clarke and Harriet Harman next to see if the punters get hard.
    This will continue until Parliament re-assembles. Either a consensus or not will emerge.
    Which was why Corbyn's letter and Swinson's response were vital first moves. Want a bit on the side Tories? Don't worry, it won't be Jezza.
    Wouldn't be surprised if hadn't been co-ordinated.

I thought that but most would think it beyond them to coordinate it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

Cummins may well have his number for the series now, was working him over hard with the short stuff before the dismissal. I note the Aussies finally have a fielder who seems able to catch too !
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Bernard Connolly spells out @MarqueeMark's observation that Corbyn wants power through chaos.
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/how-to-make-sense-of-jeremy-corbyns-pitch-to-remainers/
    I buy this argument. Only a politician steeped in Marxist thinking would have the patience to pursue it.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

I never suggested she should be PM. I just pointed out that only 4 Years in Parliament is not a good reason to exclude someone.
    It is not a good reason to exclude someone. but the header by Meeks describes her as an "experienced politician".

I don't think Liz Saville-Roberts can legitimately be described as an "experienced politician".
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

It has to be someone who a majority of MPs think is experienced and competent to be PM (not necessarily great, but able to deal with another emergency should one occur whilst in temporary charge) and who demonstrably has no axe to grind in terms of wanting the job long term.

Corbyn is neither of those - even a fair number of his own MPs severely doubt his competence.

Clarke is a stretch given they need so many Labour votes. Harman has limited experience of government. John Prescott has the govt experience (and has previously spoken out in support of Jezza i think?)
    Harman's goverment shadow government experience
    Shadow Cabinet posts 2010-15
    Ministerial posts 1997-2010
    Shadow Cabinet posts 1992-97
    (Source Wikipedia)

I do not call that "limited experience"
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    ydoethur said:

we didn't lose a single wicket when I was there yesterday.....
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Cummins may well have his number for the series now, was working him over hard with the short stuff before the dismissal. I note the Aussies finally have a fielder who seems able to catch too !
    If Paine keeps dropping easy chances and conceding innumerable byes, Bancroft may find himself keeping wicket before too long.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Any Test team with only one good batsman will struggle to get 200.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

If Paine keeps dropping easy chances and conceding innumerable byes, Bancroft may find himself keeping wicket before too long.
    Who will report to Steve Smith as captain ?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    eristdoof said:

rkrkrk said:

(Source Wikipedia)

She didn't all her time as a minister from 1997-2010. She was removed from government in 1998 and returned as solicitor general (not a minister) in 2001, serving until 2005.
  • Options

Corbyn remains a far left wretch. Would you put into power someone who happily marches beneath Hitler banners? Whose right hand man openly describes himself as a fascist?

I explained at some length, when you said this last time, why it is highly inappropriate to liken Corbyn to a Nazi sympathizer.

Disappointed, therefore, to see it make another outing.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Who will report to Steve Smith as captain ?
    I don't think there's a market yet, but if there was I would be inclined to bet on Travis Head as next Australia captain. I can't see Paine staying much longer and Smith still has a year's ban to serve. Meanwhile Head is quietly and unassumingly batting brilliantly and serving thanklessly as the vice captain.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kinabalu said:

I explained at some length, when you said this last time, why it is highly inappropriate to liken Corbyn to a Nazi sympathizer.

kinabalu said:

Read MD post again he’s not saying that corbyn is a nazi sympathizer but the opposite
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Scott_P said:
    Translation: I’ve given up on Scotland and can live with a socialist paradise in England only (and perhaps Wales but if push comes to shove I can live without that as well).
  • Options
    Mr. kinabalu, you can explain whatever you please. It doesn't justify a senior politician marching below the banner of mass murderers.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

No it isn’t, that’s the whole point.

Boris Johnson remains leader of the Conservative Party, and Jeremy Corbyn remains leader of the Labour Party.

Anyone who votes against their party whip in a vote of confidence can be expected to lose the whip, deselected at the next election and probably be expelled from the party.

Dominic Grieve might be okay with that, but I don’t think 200 current Con and Lab MPs will be.

Corbyn’s made it quite clear today, that’s either he’s the next PM or we have an election (on a date of Boris Johnson’s choosing).

Corbyn is quite happy for Brexit to happen in six weeks’ time with no deal, he’s never been a supporter of the EU and thinks he can benefit from an election at a time of considerable pressure on the government.
    I repeat the words of Wes Streeting Labour MP
    "The overriding priority for every Member of Parliament who doesn’t want to see [no-deal] happen, which is a clear majority of the House of Commons, must be preventing this outcome."

If Corbyn is not the next PM he will be powerless to prevent a GoNU with another PM forming.
  • Options

Mr. kinabalu, you can explain whatever you please. It doesn't justify a senior politician marching below the banner of mass murderers.

"marching below the banner" = attending the same rally as someone with a daft banner

I've been on a march where there were SWP placards, plus those of the Lib Dems. Doesn't make me one of either.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

True, however Blair had a comfortable majority when Cameron became Tory leader and the prospects of an early snap election - certainly within Cameron's first year as LotO - were slim.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

rkrkrk said:

(Source Wikipedia)

Yes, sorry I meant to put 'at senior levels'.
    Shadow cabinet stuff is all very nice but I'd have thought someone with a bit more experience running stuff in govt would be desired.
  • Options

Well if you get triggered by a Soviet flag then wait until see what a former Tory leader did with the Soviets.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    My daughter, who takes a somewhat different view to me on matters of Brexit, sent me this:

"I'm not saying that there wasn't a democratic mandate for brexit at the time. I'm just saying that if I narrowly decided to order fish in a restaurant that was known for chicken, but said it was happy to offer fish, and so far I've been waiting 3 hours, and two chefs who promised to cook the fish have quit, and the third one is promising to deliver the fish in the next five minutes whether it is cooked or not, or indeed still alive,and all the waiting staff have spent the last few hours arguing amongst themselves about whether I wanted battered cod, grilled salmon, jellied eels or dolphin kebabs, and if large parts of the restaurant appeared to be on fire but no one was paying any attention to it because they were all arguing about fish, I would quite like, just once, to be asked if I definitely still wanted fish."

I thought some on here might appreciate it. Even as a leaver I thought it was bloody funny.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Well if you get triggered by a Soviet flag then wait until see what a former Tory leader did with the Soviets.

The lesser of two evils?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    rkrkrk said:

eristdoof said:

rkrkrk said:

(Source Wikipedia)

Shadow cabinet stuff is all very nice but I'd have thought someone with a bit more experience running stuff in govt would be desired.
    Deleted as inaccurate.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    What is Corbyn's position on the Kashmir question?

He does not want to alienate either side I guess, so another Brexit balancing act coming up for him?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-kashmir-britain-idUSKCN1V51AL?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5d5563326f0c9700014b378d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

• Options
    Dear England selectors.

There are 17 first class counties - not including Middlesex - who have an average of 20 players on their books.

Out of that, is it really asking too fecking much for you to find six batsman who are just about capable of holding a bat the right way up?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

IanB2 said:

matt said:

GOMOO not GONU
    MOO? Please explain.
    It was correctly pointed out several days back that national unity is unachievable right now, whether Brexit happens or not, and the simple fact is that an alternative government simply needed to be a Government Of a Majority Of One.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, if a Conservative attended a rally where people had swastikas galore and some banners of Hitler, Eichmann, and Heydrich, would you shrug it off?

https://twitter.com/syd_viciously/status/872616086348353536
  • Options
    Of course this only becomes a Moral Panic when the dead druggie is a pretty middle class girl. The rest of the time nobody gives a toss.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    dixiedean said:

rkrkrk said:

eristdoof said:

rkrkrk said:

(Source Wikipedia)

Deleted as inaccurate.
    Hey, steady on. Don't want too much of that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited August 2019

Scott_P said:
    Translation: I’ve given up on Scotland and can live with a socialist paradise in England only (and perhaps Wales but if push comes to shove I can live without that as well).
    So, in other words, it seems that Corbyn is an English Nationalist just like some of the Tory party? Maybe he should cross the chamber... :D
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
  • Options
    O/T EMU UPDATE: the search for the missing North Caroline emu continues; meanwhile he now has 5000 Facebook friends and features in a local County advertising campaign.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, thank you for reinforcing my point about your lack of historical understanding. No wonder you think Caesar was a better general than Hannibal.
  • Options

Mr. Rentool, if a Conservative attended a rally where people had swastikas galore and some banners of Hitler, Eichmann, and Heydrich, would you shrug it off?

Tories just have the flag or apartheid-era South Africa on their mantelpieces.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

eristdoof said:

rkrkrk said:

(Source Wikipedia)

Not sure a putative Harman government would have a long term aim to run very much.
  • Options
    Its a good job england bat deep....
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Read MD post again he’s not saying that corbyn is a nazi sympathizer but the opposite

He is saying that he is as bad as a Nazi sympathizer. The left wing equivalent of a Hitler fanboy.

Which is 'frothy' in the extreme.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    RobD said:

The lesser of two evils?
    "If Hitler invaded Hell ..."
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, does the leader of the Conservative Party?

If not, the comparison's not valid.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

Tories just have the flag or apartheid-era South Africa on their mantelpieces.
    And nameplate on an A4:

http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/ArchiveSteam/asmisc02/Dsc_1000.jpg
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

The CPGB(ML) are right up your street as they are leavers who don't care for identity politics.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, thank you for reinforcing my point about your lack of historical understanding. No wonder you think Caesar was a better general than Hannibal.

What would happen to poster who suggested that both of those were inferior to the Duke of Goa?
  • Options

The current leader of the Conservative party was front man for a largely bigoted campaign that you voted for.

A campaign the other front man said went too far in whipping up Islamophobic fears.
  • Options

Bozo has countless other ways to express his racism.
  • Options
    Don't worry YJB will save us then Jofra will bowl the Aussies all out for 26.
  • Options

Its a good job england bat deep....

They don't bat deep enough to get out of this.

Did I say 200? If they get to 150 they'll have done well.

Time for Bairstow to make way for Foakes and Buttler or Roy for Sibley.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

"marching below the banner" = attending the same rally as someone with a daft banner

I've been on a march where there were SWP placards, plus those of the Lib Dems. Doesn't make me one of either.
    Naturally all the wild smears against Corbyn are going to go into overdrive at a time like this.

How many accusations could be made against Boris Johnson with more justification? My God, his great grandfather was actually an official of the anti-semitic Ottoman Empire!
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Much as I loathe the oily Mandelson, he is a more professional politician than any of the current party leaders.

But surely the Labourites would slay their first-born before they agree to the Prince of Darrkness taking charge?
  • Options
    I'm not sure what's the bigger clusterfuck

1) Brexit

2) The Grand Poobah at the ECB who thought scheduling The Ashes 17 days after the World Cup final was a good idea.
  • Options

I didn't seek to justify that. I explained to you why it is deeply inappropriate to draw an equivalence between hard left political views (offensive as one may find them) and the Nazi ideology of Adolf Hitler and the 3rd Reich.

And I thought you had processed and understood. Hence the disappointment.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, I'd be interested in hearing the case for the Duke of Goa.

Mr. Eagles, I didn't vote for a campaign. I voted to leave the EU for reasons I've made plain here many times (happy to repeat if you've forgotten, though I'd be surprised given how active we both are here).

Mr. Rentool, Boris Johnson is an imbecile, and unfit to be in Cabinet let alone leader of the nation. That doesn't make Corbyn anything other than a far left wretch.
This discussion has been closed.