Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Small minds and Brexit. Jeremy Corbyn’s latest gambit

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited August 2019
    This is what I've been saying would happen:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/why-october-10th-is-boris-johnsons-best-bet-for-a-snap-election/

Boris does a Theresa and calls a general election on the day Parliament returns on 4th September.

"Johnson, however, can pre-empt such manoeuvres on September 4 when Parliament returns by tabling a motion for an early general election, to be held on October 10.

This date is opportune for two reasons. First, Parliament would dissolve by law on September 5. This immediately eliminates the threat of MPs taking control of parliamentary time, keeping the exit date of October 31 intact.

Second, this election date comes a week before the EU Council summit. If his gamble pays off and he were to win a majority, the PM would have the strong negotiating position required to obtain a new deal. If the EU still refuses to budge, the Government could spend the final weeks passing relevant no-deal legislation to minimise disruption before Britain leaves the EU."
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191

I'm not sure what's the bigger clusterfuck

1) Brexit

2) The Grand Poobah at the ECB who thought scheduling The Ashes 17 days after the World Cup final was a good idea.

3) The person who thought the Hundred would be a financial success.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

But surely the Labourites would slay their first-born before they agree to the Prince of Darrkness taking charge?

They said that last time, before Gordo resurrected his career
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Mr. kinabalu, you can explain whatever you please. It doesn't justify a senior politician marching below the banner of mass murderers.

I didn't seek to justify that. I explained to you why it is deeply inappropriate to draw an equivalence between hard left political views (offensive as one may find them) and the Nazi ideology of Adolf Hitler and the 3rd Reich.

And I thought you had processed and understood. Hence the disappointment.
    OK, speaking as somebody who teaches Russian and Soviet history, and has studied the Holocaust, I'll ask. In what meaningful ways were they significantly different?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. kinabalu, hmm. It's possible I've genuinely forgotten, as that doesn't ring a bell.

[NB I need to get a spot of work done just now. I will be checking the thread but if I'm a shade slow, that'll be why. If you prefer to message me, or post in the thread, that's cool].
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    The Lib Dems are in danger of following the two big parties into Brexit-inspired splits.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    Meanwhile on LibDemVoice:
    If the party wants to prevent a no-deal Brexit, it is going to have to make a Hobson’s choice – prop up a temporary Corbyn government, so that he seeks an extension to Article 50 and calls a General Election or see Boris Johnson ram through no deal.
    If we allow a no-deal Brexit to happen because we fail to work with other parties, then we will never be forgiven by the millions of people who voted to Remain and the tens of thousands who have joined us since the referendum.

https://www.libdemvoice.org/a-no-deal-brexit-is-irreversible-a-jeremy-corbyn-government-is-not-61739.html
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/why-october-10th-is-boris-johnsons-best-bet-for-a-snap-election/

Boris does a Theresa and calls a general election on the day Parliament returns on 4th September.

"Johnson, however, can pre-empt such manoeuvres on September 4 when Parliament returns by tabling a motion for an early general election, to be held on October 10.

This date is opportune for two reasons. First, Parliament would dissolve by law on September 5. This immediately eliminates the threat of MPs taking control of parliamentary time, keeping the exit date of October 31 intact.

Second, this election date comes a week before the EU Council summit. If his gamble pays off and he were to win a majority, the PM would have the strong negotiating position required to obtain a new deal. If the EU still refuses to budge, the Government could spend the final weeks passing relevant no-deal legislation to minimise disruption before Britain leaves the EU."

The opposition agrees to the election only if BoZo extends Article 50...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    kinabalu said:

Mr. kinabalu, you can explain whatever you please. It doesn't justify a senior politician marching below the banner of mass murderers.

I didn't seek to justify that. I explained to you why it is deeply inappropriate to draw an equivalence between hard left political views (offensive as one may find them) and the Nazi ideology of Adolf Hitler and the 3rd Reich.

Who killed most - Hitler, Stalin or Mao?
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, I'd be interested in hearing the case for the Duke of Goa.

He had practically no soldiers, because Portugal had virtually no inhabitants, and most of those few that were sent to him died of disease.

Yet he still won every battle he fought.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

"Johnson, however, can pre-empt such manoeuvres on September 4 when Parliament returns by tabling a motion for an early general election, to be held on October 10. ...

Which would require a 2/3 majority! Has the author read the FTPA?
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Scott_P said:

But surely the Labourites would slay their first-born before they agree to the Prince of Darrkness taking charge?

They said that last time, before Gordo resurrected his career
    Yes, but they were terrified of Gordon "Clunking fist" Brown and his fulisade of flying mobile phones.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Depends on what you mean by 'killed.' If you mean 'killed directly,' Mao. If you mean 'died as a wider result of events they caused,' Hitler would probably just have the edge.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Having said that, it is also true that Jo Swinson's response was a bit inept in its wording.

She can always recant and say she tried, but her back is to the wall and the only hope for NoDeal is to tolerate a Corbyn GNU.

The real question is whether a Corbyn GNU would actually extend A50. "Now we have the Papacy we mean to enjoy it" as the Pope Leo X apparently said.
    A Corbyn GNU which didn't extend would surely only last days.
    We only have days...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

The opposition agrees to the election only if BoZo extends Article 50...
    If the election is held of 10th Ocotber (21 days before 31st October) why would extension of A50 be an issue unless the Opposition are going into the election expecting to lose? ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,294
    kinabalu said:

What a patronising twat you sound.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    edited August 2019
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Depends on what you mean by 'killed.' If you mean 'killed directly,' Mao. If you mean 'died as a wider result of events they caused,' Hitler would probably just have the edge.
    Does that include the deaths caused by the Japanese waging war in the Pacific as events caused by Hitler's doing?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Mr. kinabalu, hmm. It's possible I've genuinely forgotten, as that doesn't ring a bell.

[NB I need to get a spot of work done just now. I will be checking the thread but if I'm a shade slow, that'll be why. If you prefer to message me, or post in the thread, that's cool].

OK. More likely you missed it. Fair enough.

I'll try and do it again - or similar - and post at some point when you're around.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    TOPPING said:

What a patronising twat you sound.

Well, you know.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    ydoethur said:

Dear England selectors.

There are 17 first class counties - not including Middlesex - who have an average of 20 players on their books.

Out of that, is it really asking too fecking much for you to find six batsman who are just about capable of holding a bat the right way up?

Yeah this England team is rubbish. When's the last time they won anything?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So are we to conclude that that the Lib Dems were happy to jump into bed with Cameron and Osborne (and IDS) and impose austerity, tuition fees and Universal Credit but jumping into bed with Corbyn to stop Brexit is impossible under any circumstances.

Hmmmmmmm
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Does that include the deaths caused by the Japanese waging war in the Pacific as events caused by Hitler's doing?
    No.
  • Options
    Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

"Johnson, however, can pre-empt such manoeuvres on September 4 when Parliament returns by tabling a motion for an early general election, to be held on October 10. ...

Labour were compliant enough last time. They agreed in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Gibraltar release Grace 1. Good news for Iran but US going to be very annoyed.
  • Options

So are we to conclude that that the Lib Dems were happy to jump into bed with Cameron and Osborne (and IDS) and impose austerity, tuition fees and Universal Credit but jumping into bed with Corbyn to stop Brexit is impossible under any circumstances.

Yes.

Corbyn is just that toxic.
  • Options

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Maybe you haven't been following the news this time?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

Dear England selectors.

There are 17 first class counties - not including Middlesex - who have an average of 20 players on their books.

Out of that, is it really asking too fecking much for you to find six batsman who are just about capable of holding a bat the right way up?

Well the last time THIS England team won anything was last summer against India.

A radically different England team - different captain, different bowlers, different batsman and a different wicket keeper - did win another tournament recently, but it was in hit and giggle not proper cricket.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

It shouldn't do. Japan's war was in progress before Hitler's and while their strategy might have been informed by events in Europe, the US sanctions on Japanese access to raw materials would likely have produced something of a similar grand strategy even without Hitler (after all, Tokyo had no pressing need to strike the US when it did).

That said, Hitler was in power for a lot less time than either Stalin or Mao.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

OK. More likely you missed it. Fair enough.

I'll try and do it again - or similar - and post at some point when you're around.
    I shall look for it as well with interest. I have to go off as well now but I am intrigued as to your views on this.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    GIN1138 said:

But he would have to get this through the Commons with 433 MPs voting for. That is far from certain given that this would look lie a device to avoid the Commons
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Labour are not going to be turning down a GE thats true.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,604

kinabalu said:

Is that a trick question, and the answer is Churchill?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Why? Has Corbyn announced that he does not believe he can win?

We may not think that The Cult can win, but I am sure The Cult thinks they can win.

It is Corbyn's last shot. He has to try. If he declines the chance then what is the point?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Hmmmmmmm
    It's not even a matter of "jumping into bed" with Corbyn. It's a matter of authorising him to ask the EU for an extension, and then cooperating in the dissolution of parliament so that there can be an election.

Essentially it's just a matter of whether the Lib Dems could be trusted at all when they said they thought Brexit would be so disastrous that the result of the referendum - the referendum that they supported before they knew what the result would be - should be overturned.

If that's how bad any Brexit would be, by implication, a No Deal Brexit would be an absolute catastrophe. But now the Lib Dems tell us that Jeremy Corbyn being prime minister in name only for a few weeks would be even worse.

Perhaps we should just conclude that a No Deal Brexit will be only a mild inconvenience after all, and let Boris Johnson get on with it.

But if it turns out to be a catastrophe, Swinson will have to bear her full share of the responsibility.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited August 2019

GIN1138 said:

But he would have to get this through the Commons with 433 MPs voting for. That is far from certain given that this would look lie a device to avoid the Commons
    What's wrong with going to the people? I suppose they might give the wrong answer :p
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    ydoethur said:

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

Dear England selectors.

Well the last time THIS England team won anything was last summer against India.

A radically different England team - different captain, different bowlers, different batsman and a different wicket keeper - did win another tournament recently, but it was in hit and giggle not proper cricket.
    5/7 batsmen are the same as those who won the world cup.
    I'd suggest they actually might know how to hold a bat the right way up.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Scott_P said:
    Translation: I’ve given up on Scotland and can live with a socialist paradise in England only (and perhaps Wales but if push comes to shove I can live without that as well).
    Freedom for Tooting :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yes.

But some remainer Tories have agreed to talk to him. And the other minor parties have made non-committal responses.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I note - alone on here - that sterling has recovered all of its losses from the other week against the Euro. Interestingly it does not feature at all on any of the news channels or among the myriad of people on here who were so worried when its decline was heralded as the ruination of all foreign holidays as well as forcing elderly Brits in Europe back to blighty pronto. Funny that....
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

He's announced he wants to prevent a No Deal Brexit.

Under the Fixed Term Parliaments Act there is no mechanism for the Commons to vote for an election on a specified date, as suggested above. The wording of the motion is dictated by the Act - "That there shall be an early parliamentary general election".

The date of the election, if such a motion were passed, would be in the gift of the prime minister. If people weren't aware of that trap before Dominic Cummings started his vapourings, they are now. Except for the employees of the Spectator, apparently.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Scott_P said:

Yes.

But some remainer Tories have agreed to talk to him. And the other minor parties have made non-committal responses.
    Those remainer Tories would do anything to remain in the EU at this point.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,253
    felix said:

I note - alone on here - that sterling has recovered all of its losses from the other week against the Euro. Interestingly it does not feature at all on any of the news channels or among the myriad of people on here who were so worried when its decline was heralded as the ruination of all foreign holidays as well as forcing elderly Brits in Europe back to blighty pronto. Funny that....

I think that that is a slight overstatement. But it has been a much better day for Sterling.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes.

Certainly, I understand their position. I thought the Lib Dems shared it, but it seems not.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,058
    edited August 2019
    geoffw said:

Bernard Connolly spells out @MarqueeMark's observation that Corbyn wants power through chaos.
    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/08/how-to-make-sense-of-jeremy-corbyns-pitch-to-remainers/
    I buy this argument. Only a politician steeped in Marxist thinking would have the patience to pursue it.

I can think of another UK politician who's enthusiastically ridden the chaos wave.

Edit: actually a few, but only one who is indubitably in power.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

GIN1138 said:

Such a motion - specifying a date - would have no effect under the FTPA. The motion has to be simply "That there shall be an early parliamentary general election."

If we laymen are aware of the terms of the FTPA, why isn't Mr Alexander Pelling-Bruce of the Spectator? Do they not allow him Internet access at work for some reason?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    edited August 2019
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes.

Real patriots, a bit like those patriots who proposed a Franco-British Union in 1940.
  • Options
    felix said:

No, it hasn't. Still another 1.5 cents to go before it gets back to pre-Boris levels.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    felix said:

What do you want the news to say? Sterling is below where it was a month ago.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

Corbyn remains a far left wretch. Would you put into power someone who happily marches beneath Hitler banners? Whose right hand man openly describes himself as a fascist?

Then why contemplate it for Stalin and Marxist, the far left equivalents?

I explained at some length, when you said this last time, why it is highly inappropriate to liken Corbyn to a Nazi sympathizer.

Disappointed, therefore, to see it make another outing.
    I have to break it to you that MD is not one to give up a trope lightly, even after it's been taken round the block repeatedly.
  • Options

felix said:

No, it hasn't. Still another 1.5 cents to go before it gets back to pre-Boris levels.
    The extreme Brexiteers seem to be adopting a strategy of just making stuff up these days. Particularly about the exchange rate. It seems pretty stupid, because everyone has access to data about the exchange rate. Yet only a few days ago somebody posted completely false figures about the change in the value of sterling over the last ten years, as though they expected everyone to swallow them without even checking.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Hmmmmmmm
    Come on, Cameron very obviously had no ego, so no problemo.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

felix said:

I think that that is a slight overstatement. But it has been a much better day for Sterling.
    Probably a reaction to Corbyn's "stop Brexit" offer. Whoever thought the prospect of a Corbyn premiership would be positive for sterling....
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,713
    Chris said:

If the party wants to prevent a no-deal Brexit, it is going to have to make a Hobson’s choice – prop up a temporary Corbyn government, so that he seeks an extension to Article 50 and calls a General Election or see Boris Johnson ram through no deal.
    If we allow a no-deal Brexit to happen because we fail to work with other parties, then we will never be forgiven by the millions of people who voted to Remain and the tens of thousands who have joined us since the referendum.

https://www.libdemvoice.org/a-no-deal-brexit-is-irreversible-a-jeremy-corbyn-government-is-not-61739.html
    Surely this is a judgement on the best chance of getting a majority in the House. How many Tories would accept Corbyn as PM versus how many would accept anybody else as PM?
  • Options

Well if you get triggered by a Soviet flag then wait until see what a former Tory leader did with the Soviets.

The difference between working with Stalin to defeat Hitler and working with Corbyn to stop No Deal is that Stalin wanted to defeat Hitler.
    Och, I don't know, 1939-41 could be described as a period of Corbynite constructive ambiguity.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859
    felix said:

PM Corbyn bounce
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Dura_Ace said:

Mr. Rentool, if a Conservative attended a rally where people had swastikas galore and some banners of Hitler, Eichmann, and Heydrich, would you shrug it off?

https://twitter.com/syd_viciously/status/872616086348353536

The CPGB(ML) are right up your street as they are leavers who don't care for identity politics.
    What does the ML stand for? Manual Labourers? Merton and Leyton? Marxism Lenninism?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Well if you get triggered by a Soviet flag then wait until see what a former Tory leader did with the Soviets.

The difference between working with Stalin to defeat Hitler and working with Corbyn to stop No Deal is that Stalin wanted to defeat Hitler.
    Och, I don't know, 1939-41 could be described as a period of Corbynite constructive ambiguity.
    Britain didn't work with him then!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Endillion said:

Anorak said:

Is there any union associated with the LibDems?

Is there any prospect of them attracting one? Would they want to? A large union, frustrated with JC and the threat to its members from No Deal, moving allegiance would be a game-changer, IMHO.

I await a slew of responses explaining why this is a non-starter!

Do the lib dems show any sign of caring about organised labour?
    They seem to be profiting greatly from Disorganised Labour!
    ydoethur said:

Anorak said:

Is there any union associated with the LibDems?

Is there any prospect of them attracting one? Would they want to? A large union, frustrated with JC and the threat to its members from No Deal, moving allegiance would be a game-changer, IMHO.

I await a slew of responses explaining why this is a non-starter!

Do the lib dems show any sign of caring about organised labour?
    Well, they've just rejected working with disorganised Labour. Does that count?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvVOXKQ57a4
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:

Hmmmmmmm
    It's not even a matter of "jumping into bed" with Corbyn. It's a matter of authorising him to ask the EU for an extension, and then cooperating in the dissolution of parliament so that there can be an election.

Essentially it's just a matter of whether the Lib Dems could be trusted at all when they said they thought Brexit would be so disastrous that the result of the referendum - the referendum that they supported before they knew what the result would be - should be overturned.

If that's how bad any Brexit would be, by implication, a No Deal Brexit would be an absolute catastrophe. But now the Lib Dems tell us that Jeremy Corbyn being prime minister in name only for a few weeks would be even worse.

Perhaps we should just conclude that a No Deal Brexit will be only a mild inconvenience after all, and let Boris Johnson get on with it.

But if it turns out to be a catastrophe, Swinson will have to bear her full share of the responsibility.
    Swinson made to look like a liar as well as weak caving into Chukka.

Welcome back to Labour Remainers.
  • Options

Chris said:

Surely this is a judgement on the best chance of getting a majority in the House. How many Tories would accept Corbyn as PM versus how many would accept anybody else as PM?
    If Swinson had been concerned about the reaction of Tory MPs, wouldn't it have been wiser to try to gauge that reaction first, rather than publicly attacking the proposal immediately?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Swinson needs to think again.With some in her own party, the SNP, Greens,conservatives willing to consider Corbyn's proposal to stop no deal.She is trashing the stop no deal brand.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Under the Fixed Term Parliaments Act there is no mechanism for the Commons to vote for an election on a specified date, as suggested above. The wording of the motion is dictated by the Act - "That there shall be an early parliamentary general election".

The date of the election, if such a motion were passed, would be in the gift of the prime minister. If people weren't aware of that trap before Dominic Cummings started his vapourings, they are now. Except for the employees of the Spectator, apparently.
    Before Boris presents the bill to Parliament he will almost certainly make a speech in Downing St. naming 10th October as the day of the election (he will probably do the courtesy of informing the Queen as well I'd think)

Now after doing all that he could do an about turn and make the election for 1st November once the bill is passed but of course he wouldn't in practice...

When the Prime Minister tells the general public we'll have an election on 10th October he's not going to go back on that.

You seem somewhat paranoid about Boris if I may say so? ;)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So what are the 2 groups going to be after we leave on 31/10 ?

Rejoiners
    Stay outers ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,562
    ydoethur said:

Its a good job england bat deep....

They don't bat deep enough to get out of this.

Did I say 200? If they get to 150 they'll have done well.

Time for Bairstow to make way for Foakes and Buttler or Roy for Sibley.
    Well played !

Have you been taking coaching from Vaughan ?
  • Options
    Unfortunatly this article perpetuates the myth thst the aim of an extension is to prevent No Deal. It is not. It is to allow Remainers more time to try and reverse the Brexit vote. My preferencecwss for a deal and a soft Brexit. But given the antics of Remainers over the past three years I have run out of patience and will accept whatever sort of Brexit we can get.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,892
    eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

eristdoof said:

Sandpit said:

So, if Johnson and Corbyn are both opposed to a proposed government of “unity” (sic), where do the proposers get 200 defectors from the two largest parties for their majority in a vote of confidence.

I could just about see a couple of dozen MPs willing to commit almost certain career suicide over Brexit, but there’s no chance of a couple of hundred doing so.

Johnson and Corbyn would both be very happy to expel anyone voting against their own party whip in a vote of confidence, people don’t seem to realise this.

Once a VoNC is caried then it is totally different. Voting for an emergency PM with support from all sides would not be political suicide.

For many MPs allowing No Deal will be political suicide.
    No it isn’t, that’s the whole point.

Boris Johnson remains leader of the Conservative Party, and Jeremy Corbyn remains leader of the Labour Party.

Anyone who votes against their party whip in a vote of confidence can be expected to lose the whip, deselected at the next election and probably be expelled from the party.

Dominic Grieve might be okay with that, but I don’t think 200 current Con and Lab MPs will be.

Corbyn’s made it quite clear today, that’s either he’s the next PM or we have an election (on a date of Boris Johnson’s choosing).

Corbyn is quite happy for Brexit to happen in six weeks’ time with no deal, he’s never been a supporter of the EU and thinks he can benefit from an election at a time of considerable pressure on the government.
    I repeat the words of Wes Streeting Labour MP
    "The overriding priority for every Member of Parliament who doesn’t want to see [no-deal] happen, which is a clear majority of the House of Commons, must be preventing this outcome."

If Corbyn is not the next PM he will be powerless to prevent a GoNU with another PM forming.
    Which is fine, but Mr Streeting is a Labour MP at Mr Corbyn’s discretion.

If sh!t goes down, then he won’t be a Labour candidate at the next election.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Swinson needs to think again.With some in her own party, the SNP, Greens,conservatives willing to consider Corbyn's proposal to stop no deal.She is trashing the stop no deal brand.
    Bollox to stopping Brexit

Not quite the same attraction with voters methinks.

• Options
    Chuka splinter group in LDs when Swinson caves ro the pressure to back Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Britain didn't work with him then!
    And the jury's still out as to whether Stalin wanted to defeat Hitler until the very real possibility of Hitler defeating him. I'd accept that Corbyn & co are still in a 'Brexit an opportunity rather than a threat' phase, but that may change.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    TGOHF said:

So what are the 2 groups going to be after we leave on 31/10 ?

Rejoiners
    Stay outers ?

Rejoiners and people who change the subject.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Such a motion - specifying a date - would have no effect under the FTPA. The motion has to be simply "That there shall be an early parliamentary general election."

If we laymen are aware of the terms of the FTPA, why isn't Mr Alexander Pelling-Bruce of the Spectator? Do they not allow him Internet access at work for some reason?
    To be fair, May announced the date of the 8th of June before the vote in parliament. There's no chance Johnson could get a 2/3rds majority to give him a blank cheque to name a date afterwards.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A lot of people are interested in being prime minister at the moment.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Before Boris presents the bill to Parliament he will almost certainly make a speech in Downing St. naming 10th October as the day of the election (he will probably do the courtesy of informing the Queen as well I'd think)

Now after doing all that he could do an about turn and make the election for 1st November once the bill is passed but of course he wouldn't in practice...

When the Prime Minister tells the general public we'll have an election on 10th October he's not going to go back on that.

You seem somewhat paranoid about Boris if I may say so? ;)
    I'm not paranoid. I just don't think anyone in their right mind would trust him an inch.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

Unfortunatly this article perpetuates the myth thst the aim of an extension is to prevent No Deal. It is not. It is to allow Remainers more time to try and reverse the Brexit vote. My preferencecwss for a deal and a soft Brexit. But given the antics of Remainers over the past three years I have run out of patience and will accept whatever sort of Brexit we can get.

Corbyn is suggesting a soft Brexit and a deal so why won’t you get behind him?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    No mandate for no deal as it was never raised as a possibility pre referendum?

https://youtu.be/zy3fPPuR9_0
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

Agreed.
    If May when PM could bring herself and the government to discuss a deal with Corbyn and Labour, for weeks.
    Why can't Swinson ?
  • Options

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

To be fair, May announced the date of the 8th of June before the vote in parliament. There's no chance Johnson could get a 2/3rds majority to give him a blank cheque to name a date afterwards.
    Unfortunately, there's no mechanism for the Commons to stipulate the date of the election, so a 2/3 vote for an election would in fact and in law give him the power to choose the date.
  • Options

It was explicitly disavowed by the Brexiteers.

They said it would not happen.
  • Options

I was told that was Project FEAR so I dismissed it upon the guidance of Bojo and Banks.
  • Options

I was told that was Project FEAR so I dismissed it upon the guidance of Bojo and Banks.

Apparently you had to believe the Brexiteers and vote for Brexit, while also believing that it would be a No Deal shitshow despite what they said
  • Options

I hadn't realised that you were that gullible (I don't really think you are)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Glad I am not the only person disappointed with Swinson.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It was explicitly disavowed by the Brexiteers.

They said it would not happen.
    Who said this, and when?
  • Options

Because like you he is a liar and utterly untrustworthy.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

Unfortunately, there's no mechanism for the Commons to stipulate the date of the election, so a 2/3 vote for an election would in fact and in law give him the power to choose the date.
    Agreed, but there would be an immense political cost to naming a date and then postponing it after the vote. Plus the government could simply be VoNCed if they did that.
  • Options

Maybe cause he voted against such a deal three times.
  • Options

Because like you he is a liar and utterly untrustworthy.
    So quick to rage and abuse, Tyndall.
    Did someone take a dump in your archaeology pit?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Agreed.
    If May when PM could bring herself and the government to discuss a deal with Corbyn and Labour, for weeks.
    Why can't Swinson ?
    Owen Jones reckons Chuka wouldn't let her.

Weak weak weak if true.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited August 2019
    Mr Bebb seems very keen to be thrown out, rather than defect.
  • Options

How typical of Brexiteers to claim a mandate for No Deal on the basis that - even though they were all lying through their teeth during the referendum campaign - Philip Hammond was truthfully warning people of the very danger we're all facing now!
This discussion has been closed.