Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Small minds and Brexit. Jeremy Corbyn’s latest gambit

123457»

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

A 'Brexit election' would not solve the Brexit problem because the issue could not be kept to Brexit in the campaign. For that reason, if it is to go back to the people, it would need to be another referendum.

HYUFD said:

'JoSwinson is a Tory' now trending on Twitter

Twitter is worse than a school playground, and why on earth is Facebook poking in here?
    Agreed. Last thing I want here is to be linked to Facebook. If it somehow links to who I am on Facebook, that will be last time I post on here.
    Vanilla adde the Facebook button. I have no idea what it does, but to play it safe I won't be pressing it.
    I'm still unable to read the comments on politicalbetting.com, which is the site I used to use and where the last comment was at the top, etc, etc. As when accessing PB in the last 5-6 years, I'm using a Lenovo laptop with Firefox and Windows 7.

To read comments, I have to use

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7880/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-small-minds-and-brexit-jeremy-corbyn-s-latest-gambit/p6?

and I notice that if I make a draft comment but decide not to post it, and just delete it, the text is still there if I reload the page or do all sorts of things. It's even there if I come back later and want to post a comment; the old text is at the top of the comment box.

Private Eye once revealed I think that Facebook spies on users' thoughts by doing this. One can write something on screen, decide not to send it in a message but Facebook knows exactly what was written. If you drafted a message three times, and still didn't send it, FB probably has three sets of text.

So I'm not at all happy with Vanilla doing the same. It's probably breaching all sorts of UK and EU laws ... but maybe not any US laws as they don't seem to take electronic privacy seriously at all (spam is still legal up to a point).
    To delete drafts, you can go here:

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com

On the left hand side, there is a button called 'drafts'. Select, and it will show you all saved drafts. Hover the mouse over them and click on the little cross that appears.

A bit cumbersome but easier than deleting.

Alternatively select all, delete, type a full stop and 'save draft.'
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    malcolmg said:

Brom said:

Swinson having a car crash interview on Channel 4 news, pretty much caught lying about a personal conversation with Harriet Harman going behind Corbyn's back to become leader. If this is Krishnan taking her to the cleaners imagine what a top class interviewer would do. Really think those on the fence will vote Lib Dem despite not because of her.

I have said on here previously and repeat again she is an absolute duffer.
    But you yet haven’t said anything to differentiate her from all the other non-SNP politicians you comment on.....
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    For goodness sake, why? Healthcare is not sweeties, you don't dish it out because you like somebody.

As long as Scottish taxpayers are paying for this largesse....
    Nicola obviosly hoping that this will be reciprocated for Scots people when visiting the EU. Then she'll have another area where you get a better deal being Scottish
    That seems unlikely to happen.
    Typical self seeking unionist me me thinking. Yes it will.
    How do you propose that the EU differentiates between Scots and U.K. citizens?
    Who cares we have hearts we will not refuse sick people treatment.
    It’s fine on an individual level but more challenging when you aggregate. Of course no one denies emergency medicine and acute care, but to have an open door policy on chronic care is a significant financial commitment. I’d rather see that money spent on better education or housing or whatever for taxpayers
    We would not want to be seen to be isolationist , it really is very poor show.
    Scotland wants to be part of Europe.
    Many parts of the EU charge U.K. citizens at present , sometimes with reimbursement via EHIC. asking people to contribute to the cost of their care, either via taxation or directly, is not unreasonable
    It's probably possible to have reciprocal arrangements with countries that have universal healthcare free or virtually free at the point of use, like Sweden, Finland or some countries in the south.

I can't see how they could do it with France or Germany which have private insurance, private hospitals and doctors and although the government regulates it and pays for most of your care it's a huge admin. load. Germans visiting Scotland for free treatment but German hospitals charging visiting Scots the normal fee for the same operation wouldn't go down well.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

A 'Brexit election' would not solve the Brexit problem because the issue could not be kept to Brexit in the campaign. For that reason, if it is to go back to the people, it would need to be another referendum.

HYUFD said:

Twitter is worse than a school playground, and why on earth is Facebook poking in here?
    Agreed. Last thing I want here is to be linked to Facebook. If it somehow links to who I am on Facebook, that will be last time I post on here.
    Vanilla adde the Facebook button. I have no idea what it does, but to play it safe I won't be pressing it.
    It says if you log in to FB, you can automatically share or retweet or whatever tf they call it the post in question.
    So if I don’t press the Facebook button the post doesn’t go there. What happens to the posts quoted. I’m with Mr MM (I think); if my identity is going to be linked on F/B I’m out of here!
    A disappointing attitude. As Forster nearly said: If I had to choose between betraying facebook and betraying PB I hope I should have the guts to betray facebook..
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    No idea what lies ahead , but Corbyn has rather rattled the cage today and put Swinson on the back foot. First time for quite a while that he has 'made the political weather'.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    IanB2 said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

Swinson having a car crash interview on Channel 4 news, pretty much caught lying about a personal conversation with Harriet Harman going behind Corbyn's back to become leader. If this is Krishnan taking her to the cleaners imagine what a top class interviewer would do. Really think those on the fence will vote Lib Dem despite not because of her.

I have said on here previously and repeat again she is an absolute duffer.
    But you yet haven’t said anything to differentiate her from all the other non-SNP politicians you comment on.....
    In fairness Malcolm isn't precious. He slags off the SNP on a fairly regular basis too.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    ydoethur said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

It says if you log in to FB, you can automatically share or retweet or whatever tf they call it the post in question.
    Why would you want to? I post very little in FB, and certainly I save my awesome punning and cricketing skills for here. Ripped out of context they would be meaningless anyway.

And now it seems to have disappeared. Has @rcs1000 done something clever or is it a temporary improvement?
    I am increasingl pissed off with Facebook spreading like a cancer into everything.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited August 2019

I'm still unable to read the comments on politicalbetting.com, which is the site I used to use and where the last comment was at the top, etc, etc. As when accessing PB in the last 5-6 years, I'm using a Lenovo laptop with Firefox and Windows 7.

To read comments, I have to use

https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7880/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-small-minds-and-brexit-jeremy-corbyn-s-latest-gambit/p6?

I've been unable to post on the embed on PB.Com with Google Chrome but can post with Firefox (using Windows 10)

This wrror is the reason Google Chrome won't load the embed:

Refused to display 'https://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/embed/?c=1565894393948&vanilla_identifier=113853&vanilla_url=http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/08/15/small-minds-and-brexit-jeremy-corbyns-latest-gambit/' in a frame because an ancestor violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "frame-ancestors 'self' www2.politicalbetting.com *politicalbetting.com".

Worryingly Firefox also have the same error but in the case of FF it's just a warning at the moment rather than an actual refusal to display as it is on Google Chrome.

Though where Google leads everyone else eventually follows so sooner or later FF will stop the eembed from loading.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,986
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

So if I don’t press the Facebook button the post doesn’t go there. What happens to the posts quoted. I’m with Mr MM (I think); if my identity is going to be linked on F/B I’m out of here!
    A disappointing attitude. As Forster nearly said: If I had to choose between betraying facebook and betraying PB I hope I should have the guts to betray facebook..
    I have world-wide family and friends with whom I keep in tough via Facebook. Understand what you mean, though.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    edited August 2019
    The Facebook pixel is basically spyware that tracks your data and interests everywhere. I think that you have to actively log out of FB to stop it, and even then I have my doubts.

https://blog.hootsuite.com/facebook-pixel/
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

New Fred

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,986
    Facebook icon seems to have vanished!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,192
    justin124 said:

No idea what lies ahead , but Corbyn has rather rattled the cage today and put Swinson on the back foot. First time for quite a while that he has 'made the political weather'.

Yes he's knocked Johnson and his braindead crap off the headlines. Result.

But more importantly he's brought the following risk to people's attention -

If too many of those who want to stop Brexit are more concerned about stopping him becoming PM it will stop Brexit being stopped.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,962
    Omnium said:

@malcolmg, and @stewartdickson

There's an interesting thing here in that Brexit makes Scottish independence harder - you'd be a new country, and yet it makes it easier in terms of you'll get it through.

I imagine that there might be SNP factions which urge Leave - incite the rebellion, and those that urge Remain - smoothly does it. Is this a thing?

Most people want to stay in EU, in the UK or independent. Personally I would like to see a No Deal as that will guarantee independence for sure.
This discussion has been closed.