Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson loses his first Parliamentary vote, no wonder he

Comments

• Options
    In a delicious irony, 328-301 is 52-48 in percentage terms.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I don't think that source is Tory anymore.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Scott_P said:
    It has finally decided to respect democracy and the Leave vote
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Siri - what does privileged, arrogant, entitlement look like?
    https://twitter.com/annaturley/status/1168980398166237185?s=21

No, Rees Mogg a Patriot unlike MPs like Turley showing true arrogance, entitlement, disrespect and contempt for the will of the people

Rees Mogg has no notion of true patriotism. He is the richest, most privileged cartoon character in the world.

Rees Mogg now has far more in common with the average working class Leave voter than the likes of you do
    Have you lost your mind? The men in white coats have been summoned, await their calling!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Foxy said:
    That’s for sure.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:
    Good. If we are to have realignment, let’s get on with it. Enough faffing. WE DON’T HAVE ANY TIME LEFT
    Kaboom! Boris goes down in history as splitting the broad church conservatives.

It will not end well in the long term.
    Kaboom! Boris unites the vast majority of Leave voters behind the Tories while the diehard Remainers are split down the middle.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    HYUFD said:

Rees Mogg now has far more in common with the average working class Leave voter than the likes of you do

I've nothing to say, but I want to make sure this comment doesn't disappear, it's a corker.
  • Options
    Is PM Corbyn in the current parliament perhaps closer than people think?

Torys approx 290, Dup 10
    Lab, SNP, LD, Green, PC approx 300

If the independents, remain tories and cUK balance each other out seems pretty close.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956

Is it time to open the book on the next Tory leader?

Nigel Farage or Steve Baker?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think Boris is getting a sharp lesson tonight in not having it all his own way.

His disdain for people whose votes he needs has resulted in a worse-than-inevitable defeat in the HoC, which may be a useful take-out for him ahead of a general election campaign. He’ll probably have most of the (sizeable) Farage crowd eating from his hand, but a lot of moderate, business-minded people will not feel obliged to meet him halfway.

Meanwhile, the HoC looks like treating him in much the way a cat does a captive mouse. Not willing to kill him off because it gets more utility from a still-wriggling near-corpse.

Again this must have been entirely expected from the moment he started talking about "do or die" on 31st October. Sooner or later it was going to come to the crunch when this Parliament would vote to take no deal of the table.

If he'd wanted to compromise he could have done. This is entirely what was expected to happen and its now Parliament Vs The Poeple and Parliament has written his script for him.
    You may be right. His calculation may be that he can do without every single member of the 48pc, and pushing them out of the “reasonable, respect the vote” crowd is worth it.

But he’s also writing a script for the section of The People who will organise tactical voting, and talk up the sort of Project Fear about him that Tories do about Corbyn. I don’t think Corbyn will win an overall majority for a minute (nor that this would be a bad thing for Brexit!). But an SNP whitewash in Scotland and big LD gains in England leaves the possibility of a freshly-mandated majority for far less Brexit than TM or BJ planned. In which circumstances, his desire to grind his opponents into the ground might look like a mistake.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Boris still can’t be trusted by patriots because he wants to do a shady deal with the EU. No Deal is the only acceptable Brexit. ;)
  • Options
    Remember comrades, if it wasn't for us Labour Leavers, the Tories wouldn't be in this mess.

Please form an orderly queue to buy me and BJO a pint...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    Tonight I have learned on PB -

1) Tonight’s vote was a “confidence” motion, so the whip should be withdrawn from the rebels, unlike those who voted against the WA, but that the Prime Minister doesn’t have to resign having lost it

2) The Conservative & Unionist Party is the “anti-establishment” party.

Wow.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

Can we please have an election so that we have resolution one way or another.

A GE atm would see us right back to where we started ie stalemate.
    Most likely not. The parties this time around would be elected under such terms that one has to consider it likely that a majority either to prosecute Brexit or to wriggle out of it would emerge.
    Jezza still gets to befuddle. Vote for us for a Labour deal.
    If there's a Labour majority then we'll all have more important things to worry about than Brexit! In any event, you can imagine their endgame being a second referendum under loaded terms (Labour's very much like May's deal versus Remain,) and if Labour's well short of a majority - which seems far more likely - then they'll have to rely on the SNP and/or Lib Dems and an unpicking of Brexit, one way or another, is guaranteed.
    Sounds good to me! happy to push leaflets for it.
    Labour minority government and a May vs Remain referendum is the ideal scenario. Bring it on.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    HYUFD said:

Boris has done the unthinkable with his constitutional games - he’s kickstarted the unification of the left.

No he has kickstarted the reunification of the Leave vote while the Remain vote still remains split down the middle
    He is turning the conservative party into a no deal leave party which means it's not your party.
  • Options
    Cummings bawling at Jezza from the pavement to agree to a general election smacks of panic to me. I think Cummings has released that all his chicanery about proroguing and the FTPA has given Jezza the perfect excuse to tell Boris where to stick his GE.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, Rees Mogg a Patriot unlike MPs like Turley showing true arrogance, entitlement, disrespect and contempt for the will of the people

Rees Mogg has no notion of true patriotism. He is the richest, most privileged cartoon character in the world.

Bless you!

• Options

If that's the case, surely its too close to be allowed to stand? 😜
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Rory Stewart not standing at the next election

Regrettable but inevitable. They all need to go, they really do.
    By standing down they make life much easier for Boris, removing the danger of split votes.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

“The likes of you”
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:
    Good. If we are to have realignment, let’s get on with it. Enough faffing. WE DON’T HAVE ANY TIME LEFT

Kaboom! Boris unites the vast majority of Leave voters behind the Tories while the diehard Remainers are split down the middle.

If a footie team finished bottom of the league the manager and bad players would be out on their ear.

The Cons have changed their manager now the duff big time players have sold themselves to Rochdale.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    The next UK opinion polls are going to be incredibly interesting - and maybe v v important. How will the voters react?

So hard to call.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Time for Dom to get the bullet surely?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

The people being kicked out of the party represent Tory Remain voters who have been loyal thus far. You can’t afford to lose them.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

add him to the list...

https://twitter.com/Williamw1/status/1169004688643149824

of MPs standing down.

Good riddance
    Agreed.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Nice to see plenty of Palestinian flags mixing with the EU ones outside parliament.

Interesting bedfellows.

How did Rory Stewart vote today?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,327
    The Leadsom subplot is curious - her assertion that the rebels wouldn't lose the Tory whip was proved wrong within minutes. Perhaps she should resign...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris has done the unthinkable with his constitutional games - he’s kickstarted the unification of the left.

No he has kickstarted the reunification of the Leave vote while the Remain vote still remains split down the middle
    Most Leave voters didn't vote for Bozo's No Deal Crash-Out Brexit.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    TGOHF said:

Nice to see plenty of Palestinian flags mixing with the EU ones outside parliament.

Interesting bedfellows.

Probably doing the two protests in one, after the protest at London Excel

https://twitter.com/PSCupdates/status/1168483021181333504?s=19
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Tonight I have learned on PB -

1) Tonight’s vote was a “confidence” motion, so the whip should be withdrawn from the rebels, unlike those who voted against the WA, but that the Prime Minister doesn’t have to resign having lost it

2) The Conservative & Unionist Party is the “anti-establishment” party.

Wow.

You missed the best one of all...

3). Jacob Rees-Mogg is a Northern working-class hero
  • Options
    Roger said:

He's lost his majority and he's lost his vote. What does a PM have to do to get the boot around here?

Lose HYUFD then yer toast.
  • Options

Cummings bawling at Jezza from the pavement to agree to a general election smacks of panic to me. I think Cummings has released that all his chicanery about proroguing and the FTPA has given Jezza the perfect excuse to tell Boris where to stick his GE.

Er, Corbyn has just agreed to a GE, as soon as the Surrender Bill passes
  • Options

Andrea Leadsom to believe that Pathetic Bunter has folded on removing the whip from the Tory rebellion.

Absolutely first class bottling by Bottler Billy Bunter, Mug Punter.

He hasnt folded.

It is tactics. Do you really not understand that?!
    Guardian now reporting the whip is being withdrawn after all. Confusion all round.

Is that tactics too?
  • Options
    More rebels will need to be deselected tomorrow, I reckon.

(By 'rebels', I of course mean loyal Conservatives with many years of service to the party and country).
  • Options

He has clearly reunited the Labour Party.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,651
    Boris: "I can confirm that tonight we will are tabling a motion under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act."

Presumably that FTPA motion can't be debated tomorrow because the HoC is taking control.
  • Options

If that's the case, surely its too close to be allowed to stand? 😜
    I think it means we get another go. We just need to dither for 3 years first.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    eek said:

Gabs2 said:

It would be ironic if the only way Boris gets his Brexit majority is by Scotland leaving.
    Scotland won't leave in time to save Boris...
    One of the great ironies of the SNP helping to keep the UK in the EU, if that is indeed what happens in the end, is that it will make independence a harder sell for them. Having spent so long in a state of extreme agitation over Scotland departing the EU, how are they going to sell a policy that would necessarily involve Scotland departing the EU?

It would be ridiculous indeed if, a few years down the line, England was still in the EU having voted to leave, whereas Scotland wasn't despite wanting to stay.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But you are a REMAIN voter....
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited September 2019
    What Labour really need to do is find a way to get the election called for post October 31st, meaning the extension legislation will have to be used, and the do or die deadline passes, and with it any credibility Boris has left. Could proroguing parliament actually help here? Just need to avoid having an election vote before next week, then can't have one until afterward in October.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Byronic said:

Which could be Friday - Oct 15th here we come.

The Facebook ads are targeted and booked.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

John and Emily will have a quiet word...
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited September 2019

(By 'rebels', I of course mean loyal Conservatives with many years of service to the party and country).

Yes. I did wonder whether the Theresa May subplot might be that she doesn't support the Order Paper motion, but does vote against No Deal. That would be consistent with what we know of her, and also the Banter Heuristic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    But you voted REMAIN
  • Options

No he hasn't, 17 Labour MPs have just proposed an amendment tomorrow to defy Corbyn and back May's Withdrawal Agreement
  • Options

Doesn't matter how many years of service to the party and country you have if you vote against on a confidence matter does it?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

Possibly.

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

The people being kicked out of the party represent Tory Remain voters who have been loyal thus far. You can’t afford to lose them.
    They might be able to afford it. Depends how the expelled now react, and whether Boris has convinced enough leavers he means business yet, and whether that is all they will care about.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Rory Stewart not standing at the next election

Regrettable but inevitable. They all need to go, they really do.
    By standing down they make life much easier for Boris, removing the danger of split votes.
    Indeed. And like 2 year olds our MPs may slowly start to learn that actions have consequences. Not been the case for far too long.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    This is a truly terrible loss to politics in general and to the future of Cons, if and when they recover the idea of being a broad church.
  • Options
    ‪Maverick genius Dominic Cumming has reunited the Labour Party and split the Conservative Party. In a month. That’s one hell of an achievement‬
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,327
    Byronic said:

The next UK opinion polls are going to be incredibly interesting - and maybe v v important. How will the voters react?

So hard to call.

I think the Tories will still be comfortably ahead, but also that tactical anti-Tory voting is now going to be commonplace. We've seen several examples here of posters who were never-Corbyn who are going to vote Labour tactically, and I know several Labour people who are going to vote LibDem, in some cases in a quiet agreement with someone in another seat going the other way. The Johnson/Cummings assault has pushed the opposition parties much closer together.
  • Options
    Gutted over the Rory news.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Yeah, just like every other political development for the last seven years.

Listen, I hate to break it to you, but when it comes to matters of sovereignty the Scottish electorate are cuckolds. They voted for Union cuckoldry in 2014 and they voted for supranational cuckoldry in 2016. I can only think of a handful of countries that have eschewed independence when it's been offered at the ballot box, and north of the border you've done it twice in thirty months.

What makes you think that there's any possibility of Scotland voting to leave the UK outside the EU?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No he hasn't, 17 Labour MPs have just proposed an amendment tomorrow to defy Corbyn and back May's Withdrawal Agreement
    If Corbyn and Boris whip against that we could see that going down by 400 votes.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Why? The plan is apparently to get an election, and that has not failed yet, though its not done yet either.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Why? The plan is apparently to get an election, and that has not failed yet, though its not done yet either.
  • Options
    Surely Rory would have won hos seat as an Indie Tory?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Drutt said:

Listen, I hate to break it to you, but when it comes to matters of sovereignty the Scottish electorate are cuckolds. They voted for Union cuckoldry in 2014 and they voted for supranational cuckoldry in 2016. I can only think of a handful of countries that have eschewed independence when it's been offered at the ballot box, and north of the border you've done it twice in thirty months.

What makes you think that there's any possibility of Scotland voting to leave the UK outside the EU?
    How horribly offensive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

They will not back the government tomorrow. They will vote with their colleagues.

• Options
    I'm absolutely heart broken that Kenneth Clarke has been kicked out of the Tory party, nearly fifty years of service in Parliament, over 25 years on the front bench.

He was the greatest Chancellor of my lifetime, and one of the main reasons I'm a Conservative and joined the Tory party.

Not regretting my resignation, but regretting that it has come to this for Ken.
  • Options

Doesn't matter how many years of service to the party and country you have if you vote against on a confidence matter does it?
    Oh, quite. Rees-Mogg, Steve Baker, Boris and the rest of the nutjobs should have been sacked by Theresa May. Unfortunately she didn't have the numbers or support to do so, but nor does Boris.
  • Options

‪Maverick genius Dominic Cumming has reunited the Labour Party and split the Conservative Party. In a month. That’s one hell of an achievement‬

He's united the Conservative Party.

I think you will find 100% of Conservative MPs voted with the whip tonight. The party is united.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,651

What Labour really need to do is =1find a way to get the election called for post October 31st, meaning the extension legislation will have to be used, and the do or die deadline passes, and with it any credibility Boris has left. Could proroguing parliament actually help here? Just need to avoid having a tué Bill passed and an election vote before next week, then can't have one until afterward in October.

+1
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    TGOHF said:
    I wish people wouldn't use that formula, I have just lost precious minutes to wondering what was wrong with the old spokesman.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Corbyn and Boris whip against that we could see that going down by 400 votes.
    The government should whip in support of it. But they won’t.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

This may be a minority view on here but I think in a GE campaign Corbyn would run rings round Johnson. Tonite's exhibition rather confirmed that belief.

I think we've all now seen the emperor without his clothes. A lot of us thought that's what we'd see. Others were more easily fooled. Getting rid of him is now more pressing than any reservation about Corbyn
  • Options

I'm absolutely heart broken that Kenneth Clarke has been kicked out of the Tory party, nearly fifty years of service in Parliament, over 25 years on the front bench.

He was the greatest Chancellor of my lifetime, and one of the main reasons I'm a Conservative and joined the Tory party.

I expect he'll take it in his stride. His sense of perspective is unrivalled.
  • Options
    The truly interesting thing coming out of tonight is whether the Yellow Peril and Labour agree to stand down in winnable seats for each other in a remainer deal and the same for a Tory/BXP deal for leavers. Whoever manages to do so will, in my opinion, win a GE with a large majority. I suspect the latter is more likely as BXP are only in it for Brexit whereas the LDs (in the smaller party situation on the other side) will want to have clear blue water between themselves and Mr. Corbyn.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Byronic said:

Which could be Friday - Oct 15th here we come.

The Facebook ads are targeted and booked.
    Targetted adds to Tory Remainers and soft-Brexiters: "Feck off!"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And what do you expect those Labour MPs to do tomorrow if said amendment fails? Only 5-6 of them voted for the WA previously, so will they and the rest fall behind the Labour position if it is that or no deal? Clearly they are not that concerned with passing the deal given they avoided it three times.
  • Options

Oh, quite. Rees-Mogg, Steve Baker, Boris and the rest of the nutjobs should have been sacked by Theresa May. Unfortunately she didn't have the numbers or support to do so, but nor does Boris.
    Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion? Confidence motion?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

The Tories learnt nothing from Labour's travails. The Tories have let a load of Kippers join and elect a total bloody idiot for leader. We'd be better of if both Labour and the Tories kicked the bucket.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    But you voted REMAIN
    But he respects the result of the vote. A sign of maturity rather than a fault.
  • Options
    It is barely believable, but a Cons PM has removed the whip from Ken Clarke.

Truly the shark has been jumped several times.
  • Options

I expect he'll take it in his stride. His sense of perspective is unrivalled.
    I know but still feel incredibly sad.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Drutt said:

How horribly offensive.
    With all of the overblown and violent rhetoric on here recently, I've been waiting for people to start using the "cuck" word. I see the sewer mentality of Twitter is now fully established here. Depressing.
  • Options

Byronic said:

So hard to call.

I think the Tories will still be comfortably ahead, but also that tactical anti-Tory voting is now going to be commonplace. We've seen several examples here of posters who were never-Corbyn who are going to vote Labour tactically, and I know several Labour people who are going to vote LibDem, in some cases in a quiet agreement with someone in another seat going the other way. The Johnson/Cummings assault has pushed the opposition parties much closer together.
    Yes, agreed. BUT I cannot see a formal alliance, between the SNP, LDs and Lab. That means the “Remain” vote will be horribly split, still. And will be split during the GE.

So it all comes down to the right/Leave vote. Will BXPers rally behind Boris? If they do, he could still emerge the hero (until apocalyptic No Deal etc).

I remember when we all fainted at the idea of a Clegg Cameron coalition.. Never such innocence again.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Bless you!

Judging by the sheer nastiness of some of the leaver commentators tonight I think it's safe to say this is not going well for them HYUFD sounds more barking by the day.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    And then those he was speaking to beat him through extremely convoluted means - so the message is the political class should continue to resist the WA because something else will come along?
  • Options

He's united the Conservative Party.

I think you will find 100% of Conservative MPs voted with the whip tonight. The party is united.
    Where's yer majority now? :lol:
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,294
    edited September 2019

This may be a minority view on here but I think in a GE campaign Corbyn would run rings round Johnson. Tonite's exhibition rather confirmed that belief.

Incredible, isn't it?

Well, love him or loathe him, you have to acknowledge he performed pretty well during theprevious GE. Why would the coming one be any different?

May campaigned poorly, but I don't anticipate Boris being any better and he has some truly awful history that can be exploited by the Opposition.

He can't be looking forward to it.
  • Options

No May didn't have the self-confidence to do it because she flunked the General Election once already. Had she not screwed that up she could and probably should have made the issue a matter of confidence and gone to the polls if need be with a slate of MPs and PPCs prepared to back her deal. She didn't though.

21 MPs have chosen to lose the whip tonight, their choice. So be it.
    28 hardworking Conservative MPs with service to the party and country lost their seats due to May's hubris and arrogance in 2017.

I know which annoys me more.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

You realise Martin Kaboom Boon lost his job he was so far wrong with his Kaboom poll
  • Options
    Drutt said:

You're ranting at someone who isn't Scottish or lives there, which is a metaphor for something I guess.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Scott_P said:
    I don't think that source is Tory anymore.
    The person who most often mentions that Soames is Churchill's grandson is a certain N Soames, Esq.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BoZo loses his first vote as PM

He won't win tomorrow.

the only vote he may win as PM is the one removing him from office.

Quite an achievement
  • Options

Byronic said:

So hard to call.

The maverick genius of Dominic Cummings.

• Options

And yet he is doing it anyway and rightfully so. If only May had shown that sort of bottle we might not be in this mess.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    kle4 said:

whether Boris has convinced enough leavers he means business

"Fuck business"
    -- Boris Johnson
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

You realise Martin Kaboom Boon lost his job he was so far wrong with his Kaboom poll
    That's fake news and you know it.
  • Options

Remember comrades, if it wasn't for us Labour Leavers, the Tories wouldn't be in this mess.

Please form an orderly queue to buy me and BJO a pint...

Will sound very hubristic if they win a GE with the most right wing intake in living memory. That’s a risk.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    Drutt said:

No, the UK is done. It is just a matter of timing now.

Brexit has created such a schism between England and Scotland and England that the Union is over, even if we Remain.
  • Options

No May didn't have the self-confidence to do it because she flunked the General Election once already. Had she not screwed that up she could and probably should have made the issue a matter of confidence and gone to the polls if need be with a slate of MPs and PPCs prepared to back her deal. She didn't though.

21 MPs have chosen to lose the whip tonight, their choice. So be it.
    28 hardworking Conservative MPs with service to the party and country lost their seats due to May's hubris and arrogance in 2017.

I know which annoys me more.
    The first rule of politics is to learn to count.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:

If a footie team finished bottom of the league the manager and bad players would be out on their ear.

The Cons have changed their manager now the duff big time players have sold themselves to Rochdale.

I really don'r think that that's how the average punter is going to see the likes of Rory Stewart, Ken Clarke, Justine Greening and Philip Hammond being kicked out of the Conservative Party.
This discussion has been closed.