Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson loses his first Parliamentary vote, no wonder he

Comments

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Lol, swinson wont back a Corbyn government.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

No, Cambridge Analytica played a big part.

They went into liquidation. Anyone know who Cummings is using now?

Are the same "brains" not running under a new name?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Commons majority for Boris is -45 at the moment. So it'd make sense if someone else took over quite honestly.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

isam said:

Mail: "RIP democracy"

Oh FFS. We are just winding ourselves in to a virtual civil war.

All because the middle class don’t understand why the working class wanted restrictions on FOM
    The Daily Mail is the middle class
    It isn't, it's a mixture of lower middle-class and upper working-class. It's not that popular with the middle-middle classes.
    Why are people so class obsessed!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

BoZo first (probably last) PMQ's tomorrow

Q1. Prime Minister, exactly how fucked are you now?

Corbyn: Bearing in mind the grave crisis this country faces, I would like to ask about rural bus service cuts in Derbyshire.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:

"Pfeffle, pfeffle, waffle, waffle pfeffle."
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Lol, swinson wont back a Corbyn government.
    She could C&S a Corbyn minority government temporarily.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,727
    GIN1138 said:

I think 17th October would still be viable if the House votes for an election on Monday?
    Gods, can they not hurry it up and do it tomorrow? I won't say I'm too busy for this as it is clearly not the case, but the anticipation is killing me.
  • Options

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    Any news on how Andrea Leadsom got it so wrong?
    Is it because she's an idiot, and Johnson's whole operation is a joke shop run by a Poundland Steve Bannon?
    I've done the maths, this adds up
    Adds up to what?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Noo said:

So where’s this Scottish poll?

Vagueish so far.

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1169012675961073667?s=20
    nothing earth shattering there... apart from the 48% figure seems a little lower than I'd expect.
    Yes, the Golden Rule of ramped polls applies.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Equivocate people!

Are you new here?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

Scott_P said:
    Ouch!

I wonder which part of the wargame plans included this possibility?
    Plenty, Boris could be Leader of the Opposition and largest party with Leavers united behind him against a Remain coup to deny Brexit and the weakest most disunited government in history with nothing in common apart from opposing the will of the people
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Ouch!

Plenty, Boris could be Leader of the Opposition and largest party with Leavers united behind him against a Remain coup to deny Brexit and the weakest most disunited government in history with nothing in common apart from opposing the will of the people
    Why don’t you tell us what you really think?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Scott_P said:
    This will quicky gain momentum as an alternative to an election. What has Boris done......
    I rather doubt the Tory rebels will abstain.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

Equivocate people!

Are you new here?
    Yes, the name's Tean Shomas.

Edit: Crap, signed in with the wrong account.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    kle4 said:

While I don't think the plan, even if accounting for this loss tonight, is going well for BoJo, some people may be setting themselves up for a grand fall if the convoluted plotting of him and Cummings pays off. Equivocate people!

The madness was to think any Con leader this summer could go on until 2022 - was rooked from the start.

An election - well framed - as per now - was the only chance.

A huge gamble - today brings the denouement closer.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

isam said:

Mail: "RIP democracy"

Oh FFS. We are just winding ourselves in to a virtual civil war.

All because the middle class don’t understand why the working class wanted restrictions on FOM
    The Daily Mail is the middle class
    It isn't, it's a mixture of lower middle-class and upper working-class. It's not that popular with the middle-middle classes.

It’s much more an age thing. The older you are, the more likely you are to read the Mail. Like the Leave vote, too.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

No idea. What they were doing was clever, and legal, if underhand. You'd think somebody else would have picked up from where they left off.

• Options
    https://twitter.com/LucyMPowell/status/1169022722866855936

Now, Lucy is generally an idiot, but if even she has worked out that BoZo demonstrably doesn't have the confidence of the House, others will notice too...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

While I don't think the plan, even if accounting for this loss tonight, is going well for BoJo, some people may be setting themselves up for a grand fall if the convoluted plotting of him and Cummings pays off. Equivocate people!

The way I look at it is if we are going to no deal, better it is with a Tory majority in 4 months time than in one month with a hung parliament.

There are no good outcomes, but the outcomes are slightly better this evening than they were before the half hearted prorogation showed the PM lacked the courage to go for no deal at the end of October.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:
    We have been here. Corbyn will not let anyone else be the PM of GNU, and the LDs will not support him.
    But now the LDs don't have the "Tory rebels won't support Corbyn" excuse
  • Options
    Dark place?

Dark?

The racism is worse than we imagined!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Ouch!

Hip hop Hoorah
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Scott_P said:

Corbyn: Bearing in mind the grave crisis this country faces, I would like to ask about rural bus service cuts in Derbyshire.
    +1
    I could genuinely see this happening
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Scott_P said:
    Not an MP this time next year. The whips told him his job was at risk, but some things matter more and he voted the way he thought was right.

Perhaps we are not so far apart after all.
    At least he has integrity enough to do put the country ahead of his party
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    edited September 2019
    kle4 said:

What’ll win the Tories the election is who they are up against. Corbyn remains their strongest weapon.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Scott_P said:
    I'm confused about this. Only one actually crossed the floor, right? How does that get them to a majority?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    The government should let the Surrender Bill go through the Commons and Lords with no delays and then send it to the Queen...

Then get on with the general election.

Make repeal of Parliaments Surrender bill on 16th or 17th October the center piece of their manifetso.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    edited September 2019
    Foxy said:

The prorogation may not look like a masterstroke if it prevents BoZo from having the vote needed to get an election.
    That's if he really wants an election.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    HYUFD said:

egg said:

HYUFD said:

This is excellent tactics by Boris, tonight in prime time on BBC1 and ITV and the news channels all the coverage was of Boris promising to deliver Brexit Deal or No Deal and of Corbyn committing to try and ban No Deal Brexit and extend again, costing him potentially millions of Labour Leave voters in the process whether to the Tories or the Brexit Party

If that is true, and I’m not saying it isn’t, is it important to now secure that election soonest to cash in on the moment? How long does such a moment last until it’s replaced by another moment, such as the moment Boris will find himself in next month if there isn’t a GE?
    Boris will propose an election tomorrow, he is no coward, Corbyn may well be though
    Overused though it is in politics, I can understand calling Corbyn a coward now he prevents an election till the new year, feb March earliest. But the fact is, having Johnson trapped powerless in a sort of vacuum that doubles as a credibility shredding machine, Corbyn wouldn’t now call an election even if he wasn’t a coward? He would be daft to wouldn’t he?

Either the way you still haven’t answered the question. Denied an election till next year by the coalitions ftpa where does Boris credibility go in the coming weeks. By the time that election now comes, what will the polls look like?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

No idea. What they were doing was clever, and legal, if underhand. You'd think somebody else would have picked up from where they left off.

The parent company plead guilty to breaking UK election law so doubt it was fully legal.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Scott_P said:

+1
    I could genuinely see this happening
    If it does, my respect for him, as a possessor of comic timing at least, will increase immensely. He can play it off as a confidence thing afterwards - this government is such a shambles I didn't even need to use all my questions on Brexit, I wanted him to sit there, dreading the question not knowing when I would let loose.
  • Options

What’ll win the Tories the election is who they are up against. Corbyn remains their strongest weapon.

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1169023018938642434

If Corbyn is smart enough (yes, i know) he can let BoZo destroy all of his USP before any election campaign.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477

Scott_P said:
    We have been here. Corbyn will not let anyone else be the PM of GNU, and the LDs will not support him.
    But now the LDs don't have the "Tory rebels"
    The like of Gawke and Hammond, having pushed this Bill through, won’t enable Corbyn. Not would Soubry etc. and there’s no need for Swinson to. There’ll be an election soon enough and she doesn’t that in her southern seats.
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Ouch!

Why don’t you tell us what you really think?
    I think he did .... :open_mouth:
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited September 2019
    Drutt said:

Scott_P said:
    This will quicky gain momentum as an alternative to an election. What has Boris done......
    I rather doubt the Tory rebels will abstain.
    Ken Clarke has said if needed he will vote for Corbyn. What price he becomes the leader of that gang?

For the last few months people have said Tories wont vote against their party. They said that if the Tories ask for an election they get it without delay.

It is time people realise no deal isnt happening under this parliament whatever games the PM tries to play. If he pushes the limits further then the rebel Tories will allow Corbyn to take over and get royal consent.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The threat of no deal to the noble hobby of philately.
  • Options
    Once you cross the threshold and end your political career by taking one action, other actions previously considered impossible to contemplate might well seem more reasonable.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The parent company plead guilty to breaking UK election law so doubt it was fully legal.
    Didn't they do that just to avoid answering more awkward questions?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The government should let the Surrender Bill go through the Commons and Lords with no delays and then send it to the Queen...

Make repeal of Parliaments Surrender bill on 16th or 17th October the center piece of their manifetso.

They couldn’t repeal it before the new Parliament sits, though. That won’t happen for a while.

• Options
    After what's been going on Westminster these last few months Scots still would vote to Remain in the Union might cause alarm bells for the SNP.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Cowardly Corbyn running scared of the voters!
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 778
    So far so predictable.

I wonder now whether Cummings will make a tactical retreat from the call for a general election given it's clear the opposition will pass the legislation first? There's only so much that can be gained by engineering another defeat.

Either way, an election before the end of October is almost certain, but instead it will be approved early next week. It's the only card Johnson has left after losing 22 Conservative MPs in a day, one way or another. And better that it is called for before 31 October than after from his perspective.

Still - the legislation may remain a talking point in the election campaign. If Johnson wins he will be forced to ask for an extension unless he can repeal the law in record time (which seems unlikely given the composition of the Lords).
  • Options
    And so to bed. Tomorrow (today even) will be another historic one
  • Options
    Enjoying how few people even know who Richard Leonard is.
  • Options
    There must be a chance we won’t have an election, and the PM who goes to the October summit won’t be Johnson or Corbyn.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    GIN1138 said:

What if Corbyn says "fine, we'll have an election, but the public needs a long campaign to make an informed choice, so we'll amend polling day to December, thanks"? :D
  • Options
    SNP still down on 2015 levels and the Tories still have more seats than at any general election in Scotland from 1997 to 2017.
    Which the pro Union side would win again, despite all the diehard Remainer whinging Boris and Brexit guarantees Scottish independence

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1169024647435902976?s=20
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Labour stood against the Conservative speaker in 1987 in Croydon North East.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

GIN1138 said:

They couldn’t repeal it before the new Parliament sits, though. That won’t happen for a while.

If the election is on Monday 14th October there's nothing to stop a sitting pf Parliament to repeal the surrender bill on Wednesday 16th October is there?
  • Options

Raymond Leopard you mean surely?
  • Options
    The human equivalent for me is that the start of Operation Barbarossa is closer to my date of birth than the present day is.

I'm like a living fossil.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    They'd have to come from Labour leave areas like Dudley North and Newcastle-under-Lyme.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    ok, the 48-5 is MUCH more like what I was expecting!
    I thought from the headline it was 48-52, i.e. Scots think Boris is helpful to the union.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I dont know, if that were true then perhaps those questions might relate to other illegality? Generally if someone pleads guilty I assume their actions were not legal, of course that will not be correct 100% of the time, but it should be reasonably close.
  • Options

Raymond Leopard you mean surely?
    'An empty taxi drew up, and Mr Leonard got out'
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

If the election is on Monday 14th October there's nothing to stop a sitting pf Parliament to repeal the surrender bill on Wednesday 16th October is there?
    Lots. You'd have to swear them in and have a Queen's speech. Ditto the Lords.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I'm confused about this. Only one actually crossed the floor, right? How does that get them to a majority?
    Must mean a majority excluding the new Tory rebels, which doesn't make much sense.
  • Options
    Playing with the Scotland figures, its about a 2% swing to get to 5 seats for the blues which would also add fife ne to the Lib rally. If these %s maintain into a campaign I'd think team blue would be looking at maybe 6 they feel they could hold on a good day - the borders and 3 fishing facing seats in the NE perhaps? Labour look shot and the LDs will focus on holding 4 and target Fife. SNP will go for the lot and at 40 plus will surely get close to 50
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,313
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:

I dont know, if that were true then perhaps those questions might relate to other illegality? Generally if someone pleads guilty I assume their actions were not legal, of course that will not be correct 100% of the time, but it should be reasonably close.
    I really don't know but I have noted no reincarnation of CA, yet I cannot believe Cummings is running the Johnson operation without some such support.
  • Options

The human equivalent for me is that the start of Operation Barbarossa is closer to my date of birth than the present day is.

I'm like a living fossil.
    Me too :(

Some mornings I have doubts about the living part.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    If the people vote for no deal in another election then on their heads be it. The point is to stop it happening without consent from the public.

That’a why it doesn’t matter if a Boris majority repeals it.
  • Options

There must be a chance we won’t have an election, and the PM who goes to the October summit won’t be Johnson or Corbyn.

I liked the idea of May rebelling, becoming leader of GONU and calling up Barnier.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Scott_P said:

If Corbyn is smart enough (yes, i know) he can let BoZo destroy all of his USP before any election campaign.
    If Johnson just refuses to ask for an extension, insisting it will wait until after an election, what happens? It goes to court of course, but what is the remedy from a judge's perspective?
  • Options

To be fair to Leonard he still has a 25% higher net approval rating than Corbyn does.

Corbyn is far more unpopular in Scotland than Boris is too on that poll
  • Options
    Considering I was expecting a 4-6 point lead for Yes, 51% for No is actually somewhat of a relief.
    Interesting to see that more Scots are inclined to think PM Corbyn would be helpful to the Yes campaign than those who think he'd be an asset for the union. Suggests independence inclined voters think he'd be as effective as campaigning for the union as he was for the EU.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

To be fair to Leonard he still has a 25% higher net approval rating than Corbyn does.

Corbyn is far more unpopular in Scotland than Boris is too on that poll
    And?
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Scott_P said:

If Johnson just refuses to ask for an extension, insisting it will wait until after an election, what happens? It goes to court of course, but what is the remedy from a judge's perspective?
    He will be sacked by parliament.
  • Options
    Here's a new YouGov Scottish poll, combined with one for England and Wales.

Highest Con and Lab and lowest LD since Johnson became Con leader.

Con 35 (+2)
    Lab 25 (+3)
    LD 16 (-5)
    Brexit 11 (-1)
    Green 7 (uc)
    SNP 4 (uc)

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/c68uv1jm1d/TheTimes_190903_VI_Trackers_w.pdf
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Lots. You'd have to swear them in and have a Queen's speech. Ditto the Lords.
    Although a working majority would make the EU aware of the electorates wishes and they would likely not offer an extension if the new government is on a no deal if no movement on the 17th ticket
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Dominic Grieve clearly channelling what Egg said yesterday. So that’s Egg’s man of the people credentials pretty much fried then. 🍳

Egg
    No deal is certainly not the end of it. It is not closure and move on. No deal is not actually an answer to anything, it’s a billboard to the world of our failure to achieve the answer. A symbol of failure etched forever into British history. Because ultimately what hurts UK from No Deal is not just the indelible impact on our farming and other industry and business in the painful fast forward to global Britain, but the political crisis in Britain extending into the longer term, because we wouldn’t be able to get EU to table and compromise without ourselves climbing down and sucking down exactly what they are currently asking from us. In other words, just as May and the Conservative moderates explained, we can only achieve leave deal with EU by making a compromise, by facing up to compromise, and its damn harder for us to make that compromise after a no deal Brexit. We will become even more firmly stuck in a political crisis that impacts EU to far lesser degree.

Greive
    [If we crash out of the bloc] it’s not going to be over, is it? The moment we leave the EU, every single sinew of the UK government machine will be dedicated to trying to do a deal, a trade deal with the EU from the outside. It is going to take up every week, month, day of our working lives for the next five to 10 years, and we’re going to be negotiating from a position of maximum weakness and disadvantage.

I don’t agree with Grieve on lotta stuff, but I clearly do on this. No Deal actually means a failure. A failure to be able to compromise and close a deal. No deal is different from Brexit that was on the ballot in the referendum because it highlights the reasons we can’t leave with a deal. The Conservative Party is wedded to No Deal not to apply pressure in the negotiation (that suggestion less credible by the day), they are driven by fear not for national interest but of The Party losing out to Farage the longer this moves from 2016 without delivering a meaningful Brexit. That’s right isn’t it? The Fear of Tory leaders and business managers of euro scepticism in and outside acting upon their party from Cameron to Boris that created this political crisis. Cameron’s gamble was he could crush it for a generation by winning a ref with a project fear. In Boris mind is exactly what HY has been posting for us, no meaningful brexit, Farage sucks from the Tory Party just like image of a black hole devouring a sun.

So its a policy driven by fear, highlighting an inability to compromise and achieve an important deal, to no deal outcome putting Britain at maximum weakness and disadvantage in this world for years to come.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    They'd have to come from Labour leave areas like Dudley North and Newcastle-under-Lyme.
    What exactly have the Tories done to make themselves more appealing in these places than they were in 2017?
  • Options

Playing with the Scotland figures, its about a 2% swing to get to 5 seats for the blues which would also add fife ne to the Lib rally. If these %s maintain into a campaign I'd think team blue would be looking at maybe 6 they feel they could hold on a good day - the borders and 3 fishing facing seats in the NE perhaps? Labour look shot and the LDs will focus on holding 4 and target Fife. SNP will go for the lot and at 40 plus will surely get close to 50

Fife NE unionist tactical vote would secure it for the Tories. Depends how cross everyone is about Europe/Boris, though.

Seats along the border to hold, but the SNP will throw everything at DCT to try and unseat Fluffy Mundell.
  • Options
    From tonight's GB YouGov poll.

Whether or not you agree with them, do you think MPs and
    politicians who OPPOSE leaving the EU without a deal are
    behaving in a way that respects British democracy?

Are 27
    Are Not 49

• Options

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    What exactly have the Tories done to make themselves more appealing in these places than they were in 2017?
    Standing still as labour go backwards.
  • Options

Con 35 (+2)
    Lab 25 (+3)
    LD 16 (-5)
    Brexit 11 (-1)
    Green 7 (uc)
    SNP 4 (uc)

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/c68uv1jm1d/TheTimes_190903_VI_Trackers_w.pdf

Tories lead 42% to 19% for the LDs in the South and 42% to 24% for Labour in the Midlands and Wales.

Labour lead 35% to 29% for the Tories in London and 33% to 28% for the Tories in the North (the Brexit Party's highest score is 16% in the North).

• Options

If the people vote for no deal in another election then on their heads be it. The point is to stop it happening without consent from the public.

But they could vote for no deal and get it with only 35-40% in an election
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Con 35 (+2)
    Lab 25 (+3)
    LD 16 (-5)
    Brexit 11 (-1)
    Green 7 (uc)
    SNP 4 (uc)

Tories lead 42% to 19% for the LDs in the South and 42% to 24% for Labour in the Midlands and Wales.

Labour lead 35% to 29% for the Tories in London and 33% to 28% for the Tories in the North (the Brexit Party's highest score is 16% in the North).

You’re not looking at subsamples again are you?
  • Options

But they could vote for no deal and get it with only 35-40% in an election
    I know but what can you do? 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Voters oppose further extension of the Brexit deadline by 44% to 35%.

23% of 2017 Labour voters oppose further extension to only 13% of 2017 Tories who back further extension

• Options

Are 27
    Are Not 49

And there's the thing the rebels dont get. Boris the insurgent. Its madness but it might just work
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Are 27
    Are Not 49

Too many negatives in the question. Confusing.
  • Options
    Voters believe MPs who oppose leaving the EU without a Deal are not respecting democracy by 49% to 27%.

35% of 2017 Labour voters believe MPs are not respecting democracy while only 10% of 2017 Tory voters believe they are.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

A lot of the results will not be known until 15th. Then PM needs to meet the Queen. MPs sworn in. Speaker needs to be elected. The Parliamentary schedule needs to be decided. Plus dozens of other things. Maybe even a Queen’s speech?

• Options

Are 27
    Are Not 49

Few things. 1. you’ve ignored ‘don’t knows’ and 2, from the same poll

Whether or not you agree with them, do you think MPs and politicians who SUPPORT leaving the EU without a deal are behaving in a way that respects British democracy?

Are 35
    Are Not 41
    Don’t know 24
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Talking of which, is Sajid Javid still doing his election giveaway tomorrow?
  • Options
    Headbangers will eat themselves at this rate when there's no one else to blame
    Good.
This discussion has been closed.