Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Cummings & Johnson strategy could well be dubbed as the ch

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

Byronic said:

OK, I’ve had time to digest everything (including a very nice Greek breakfast, in the Arcadian sun - who knew fresh figs go so well with blue cheese?).

Isn't this common knowledge? Fresh figs go really well with blue cheese. Honey completes the perfection.
    Fresh figs go even better with parma ham and focaccia.
  • Options
    Incidentally, Nigel Farage was last matched on Betfair for next Prime Minister at 18.
  • Options

..and I don't think she has yet had the last laugh. The extremists may have overplayed themselves somewhat. It is like one of those games allegedly played in dorms at Eton. Boris will get to eat the biscuit
    I choose not to google that. If it’s anything like Dave Cameron and porking the pig, I really don’t want to know.
  • Options
    I got it slightly wrong last night. Looks like it will be The Saj who will be revealing his rear-end in Binn's window.

#DailyDeadCat
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

HYUFD said:

Agree though that it is bad news for the SNP that despite Brexit 51% of Scottish voters would still vote to stay in the UK

For a separatist party 49% is fine, it is well within the margin of error and they only need to win one referendum whereas unionists need to win every referendum.

Except that they only get one referendum a generation, and if they lose two the cause dies out, possibly forever. Cf Quebec.

I don’t think there will be a vote in Scotland for 10 years or more. Brexit is too horrific an example of what happens if you try to enact dramatic constitutional change on a divided country, on the back of a plebiscite. Memories of it will need to fade before the Nats can or will try again
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    St Caroline of Lucas appears to be on the march for higher standards. No more lounging on government benches for Rees-Mogg. Straighten your back, no slouching. @Ave_it marked her card last night.

https://twitter.com/bbcrb/status/1169151371263787008
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Tory activists are going to be very much up for the election fight.

What election?
    What activists?
    It won’t surprise many to find that @MarqueeMark is more in line with Tory activist motivations and opinions than @Jonathan

People who were reluctant just months ago are coming back - and people who have never helped have signed up too.
    No evidence of that round here with people like David Herdson sitting it out. Enjoy Moggmentum.
    PB is not the Tory party, or the country.

No, but there are a number of us on here who have held positions of responsibility within the party locally or nationally. We therefore know that there are a substantial number who will not come back until this cabal is no longer influential
  • Options

Incidentally, Nigel Farage was last matched on Betfair for next Prime Minister at 18.

That would certainly make the IndyRef2 market interesting. The Brexit Party MEP in Scotland told a hustings that his party was neutral on the Scottish independence question. 😳
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

OK, I’ve had time to digest everything (including a very nice Greek breakfast, in the Arcadian sun - who knew fresh figs go so well with blue cheese?).

Isn't this common knowledge? Fresh figs go really well with blue cheese. Honey completes the perfection.
    The good news for me is that I shall be in my Hungarian country place from the weekend, plucking figs straight from the tree.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Byronic said:

I’ve been trying to reconcile my beliefs that 1 Boris will benefit from a surge in patriotic support, but that 2, Brexit will now, probably, be stopped

I see it this way. Unless Boris finds a way to dodge the rebel vote, or push us over the No Deal cliff anyway (possible but unlikely) we are headed for a GE with Brexit unresolved.

In that election I expect Boris to increase his vote share, even from his present elevated polling, squeezing the BXP in particular. The patriot thing. However I also expect the SNP and LDs to take seats off him and Labour seats will prove hard to crack. Tactical voting and other factors will see the return of the inefficient Tory vote.

Result? Another hung parliament, yet this time it will produce a minority Corbyn government, offering another referendum. God help us.

A tremendous thread header by TSE.

Byronic you're a bit more sensible, less manic, when you're sober. Presumably we have an hour or two's grace?

I'd like to find myself agreeing with this post but I still think you're only half right. First, I'm sceptical that Johnson will benefit from a 'patriotic surge.' He already looks like a loser. He's out of control. He has an idiot advising him. He's alienated a significant part of his party. He looks far from a sure touch. And in a 5 or 6 week campaign he is going to look like the fool he is. Most of us on here have seen through the magician's sleight of hand. It's only a matter of time until the public do. Though calling Johnson a magician is an insult to them.

Second, a disunited party never wins elections. And, oh boy, is this tory party riven. During an election campaign? All hell will break loose. You just wait and see. It will be civil war in front of the British people.

So, given those things, you seriously believe that Johnson will poll more Thant 42.4%?

42.4%!!! That's what Mrs May got in 2017 and you seriously think he will increase that voteshare?!

Edit. Just seen you are referencing it to his current polling. Which brings us back to the thread header by TSE. If he's falling off Mrs May's polling level, where is he going to gain these seats? The Labour heartland ...? If that's Cummings' strategy he's a moron.
    I'm surprised you don't understand how FPTP works. It is not decided on national vote share. Because of the changed configuration of parties and shares since 2017, he is likely to be able to gain a parliamentary majority with less than 40% of the votes.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

About 1/3 will not be. They tended to be the more knowledgeable ones that marshalled the rest.
    For example..
    https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/ex-yorkshire-tory-association-chairman-says-he-is-politically-homeless-as-he-quits-party-after-24-years-1-9922447
    I was also with the party for over 20 years, and held, not the same, but a similar position
  • Options

If the Lords scupper Benn via these mass amendments then its Boris back in the driving seat as prorogation would mean no extension will be requested at the EU summit, and any offer of one refused and Corbyns refusal of a GE will look rather silly.
    Big if though

It is amazing people think Hammond and Clarke have sacrificed their careers for this bill but will let the PM destroy it in the Lords. They would simply change the PM if forced to by further shenanigans. It is obvious. The bill will pass and become law. The interesting question is who will be PM when it happens.
    If the Lords talk it out to Saturday as mooted prorogation kicks in Monday and Boris is untouchable till mid October and is not bound by benn. Its whether the Lords can achieve this that's the question. Theres a plan, will it work?
    It doesnt matter. Even if you are right and he is untouchable til October what then? He has a month of office but no power, fails to get anything done with the EU who have no incentive to give him an inch, and gets no confidenced with an alternative PM, probably Corbyn who enacts the legislation.

The lesson of the last year is parliament is sovereign, if the executive insists on a policy strongly at odds with the Commons it will keep losing. Each time it loses it loses further power. It needs to accept the will of the Commons.
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

FPT
    Big_G_NorthWales said:

» show previous quotes
    As you know Malc, the time comes when a single party dominating the government over years (SNP) and here in Wales (labour) sees the shine eventually coming off and disenchantment sets in.

I expect labour to continue to decline in Wales as they have been in power so long, and with our NHS and Education on it's knees the resentment is tangible

Labour have done the same to Wales as they did in Scotland previously. Scotland under SNP on the other hand is looking better and hard to see any change of government in the long term, 12 years and more popular than ever is a good record.

12 years in government and still popular. Unique in contemporary European politics, probably in world politics.
    Fully understandable if you believe (as I do) that people vote for the least worst party.
    Scottish Labour really is the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    edited September 2019

If the Lords scupper Benn via these mass amendments then its Boris back in the driving seat as prorogation would mean no extension will be requested at the EU summit, and any offer of one refused and Corbyns refusal of a GE will look rather silly.
    Big if though

The refusal to request Queen's consent looks a more likely way of scuppering it. But being seen to be forced into an election may be his way out now.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Agree though that it is bad news for the SNP that despite Brexit 51% of Scottish voters would still vote to stay in the UK

For a separatist party 49% is fine, it is well within the margin of error and they only need to win one referendum whereas unionists need to win every referendum.

Except that they only get one referendum a generation, and if they lose two the cause dies out, possibly forever. Cf Quebec.

I don’t think there will be a vote in Scotland for 10 years or more. Brexit is too horrific an example of what happens if you try to enact dramatic constitutional change on a divided country, on the back of a plebiscite. Memories of it will need to fade before the Nats can or will try again
    I am exhausted trying to keep up with UK politics so dont particularly follow Scottish specific politics but from a mathematical angle 49% is not a problem for a separatist party, particularly when the direction of travel is in their favour.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

The good news for me is that I shall be in my Hungarian country place from the weekend, plucking figs straight from the tree.
    Jó étvágyat!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Cowardly Corbyn Frit! :D
    Hmmmm. Corbyn shows all the fear of an executioner choosing when to drop the axe on Boris’ neck. Patience Boris, release will come soon enough!
    But how long will Corbyn’s unCorbyn-like restraint last? A day? Three days? Til Monday?
    Either until Royal Assent for the anti-no deal bill is granted, or until just after the EU council in October when Parliament approves the change to Exit Day in the EU Withdrawal Act.

I think he would prefer that the election is held after October 31st, while we are still in the EU, so that Boris can be shown not to have been able to deliver on his promises - all subsequent promises made in the election campaign can then be compared to his track record of promising things he is unable to deliver. "You can't trust a word Boris says..." they will say.
    Yes - once an extension has been forced there is no incentive for any none Tory to have an election prior to October 31st - in fact the election would be a lot easier
    Nigelb said:

About 1/3 will not be. They tended to be the more knowledgeable ones that marshalled the rest.
    For example..
    https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/ex-yorkshire-tory-association-chairman-says-he-is-politically-homeless-as-he-quits-party-after-24-years-1-9922447
    The Tory people who are leaving are those who have campaigned and know how to campaign. The campaigners who are left don't have the experience and may well be people you don't want near actual voters.

Edit to add although it's likely that Labour has the exact same problem.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

I’ve been trying to reconcile my beliefs that 1 Boris will benefit from a surge in patriotic support, but that 2, Brexit will now, probably, be stopped

I see it this way. Unless Boris finds a way to dodge the rebel vote, or push us over the No Deal cliff anyway (possible but unlikely) we are headed for a GE with Brexit unresolved.

In that election I expect Boris to increase his vote share, even from his present elevated polling, squeezing the BXP in particular. The patriot thing. However I also expect the SNP and LDs to take seats off him and Labour seats will prove hard to crack. Tactical voting and other factors will see the return of the inefficient Tory vote.

Result? Another hung parliament, yet this time it will produce a minority Corbyn government, offering another referendum. God help us.

A tremendous thread header by TSE.

Byronic you're a bit more sensible, less manic, when you're sober. Presumably we have an hour or two's grace?

I'd like to find myself agreeing with this post but I still think you're only half right. First, I'm sceptical that Johnson will benefit from a 'patriotic surge.' He already looks like a loser. He's out of control. He has an idiot advising him. He's alienated a significant part of his party. He looks far from a sure touch. And in a 5 or 6 week campaign he is going to look like the fool he is. Most of us on here have seen through the magician's sleight of hand. It's only a matter of time until the public do. Though calling Johnson a magician is an insult to them.

Second, a disunited party never wins elections. And, oh boy, is this tory party riven. During an election campaign? All hell will break loose. You just wait and see. It will be civil war in front of the British people.

So, given those things, you seriously believe that Johnson will poll more Thant 42.4%?

42.4%!!! That's what Mrs May got in 2017 and you seriously think he will increase that voteshare?!

Edit. Just seen you are referencing it to his current polling. Which brings us back to the thread header by TSE. If he's falling off Mrs May's polling level, where is he going to gain these seats? The Labour heartland ...? If that's Cummings' strategy he's a moron.
    6% of 2017 Labour voters voting Tory with Yougov today, 8% of 2017 Labour voters now voting Brexit Party, only 1% of 2017 Tory voters voting Corbyn Labour. Tories have a 10% lead overall.

Cummings is a genius
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Hmmmm just for fun
    Benn passes, corbyn keeps Boris in place to make him accept the extension. At the very last moment before the bill states he has to accept the entire government resign and recommend HMQ send for Corbyn. Corbyn is made PM but being a dithering twat doesn't know how to accept the extension offered and is in breach of UK law as set out in the Benn (up yours Boris) act 2019
    Just.for.fun
  • Options

Byronic said:

Indeed. I thought Byronic was supposed to be a sybarite.
    You appear to be confusing me with someone else. It is not unknown.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

What election?
    What activists?
    It won’t surprise many to find that @MarqueeMark is more in line with Tory activist motivations and opinions than @Jonathan

People who were reluctant just months ago are coming back - and people who have never helped have signed up too.
    No evidence of that round here with people like David Herdson sitting it out. Enjoy Moggmentum.

Of that there is no doubt!
  • Options

..and I don't think she has yet had the last laugh. The extremists may have overplayed themselves somewhat. It is like one of those games allegedly played in dorms at Eton. Boris will get to eat the biscuit
    I choose not to google that. If it’s anything like Dave Cameron and porking the pig, I really don’t want to know.
    Best not to, but Bozo's new best buddy's surname (you know the bloke who is supposed to be the great strategist) works quite well with this particular metaphore
  • Options
    Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

This is clearly wrong. Brexit is the exception, not the rule. A better comparison would be the split of Czechoslovakia, which most people didn't want but which most people quickly became rather happy with.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2019
    Dadge said:

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

Jó étvágyat!
    deleted
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I disagree, on the latest Yougov the Tories will still win more seats in Scotland than they did at any general election from 1997 to 2017. The Tories are also winning 6% of 2017 Labour voters with Yougov while only losing 1% of 2017 Tory voters to Labour and Labour is also losing 8% of 2017 Labour voters to the Brexit Party too all of which adds up to a clear swing from Labour to the Tories in Labour Leave seats even if Corbyn reduces the loss of 2017 Labour voters to the LDs and Greens

Your post last night really made me laugh. It was your best yet (the one about it being a tactical triumph for Boris!!!). Sadly I couldn't applaud as I didn't have time. But well done. Your mentor Comical Ali has nothing on you
    Odds on a tory maj have been shorteningin the last couple of days and are approaching 50%. So it looks to me as if HYUFD is more on the money than you are, actually.

Odds of a Lab maj are at 12/1
  • Options

It is raining at Old Trafford.

Bravo ECB.

Yes, I know saying it is raining in Greater Manchester is like saying water is wet.

On this we can agree 100%. An Ashes Test in Manchester in September is insane.

Every 21st century Old Trafford Test has been drawn. Weather here is well known. Good to have a North West Test and not have Headingley as our closest but it shouldn't be in September.

Why couldn't Old Trafford have been the first Test in Summer and have eg Lords and The Oval as the autumnal Tests if we need to be playing The Ashes in September?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:
    A timely reminder that the remain alliance may have won the battle, but whatever the next steps, whichever side evenutally wins the war, the country loses!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Indeed. I thought Byronic was supposed to be a sybarite.
    You appear to be confusing me with someone else. It is not unknown.
    I guess you're more likely to be making cocoa for Kingsley Amis.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Remainers are trying to prove that isn't true.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

No need for senakot for you then......
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No, for a separatist party 49% for independence excuding Don't Knows is bad news.

In Quebec in 1995 the pro independence side had a narrow lead in final polls excluding Don't Knows in their second independence referendum but No won as Don't Knows went No and No won 51% to 49%.

Quebec has never had another independence referendum again and is now firmly in Canada with devomax
  • Options

Bravo ECB.

Yes, I know saying it is raining in Greater Manchester is like saying water is wet.

Every 21st century Old Trafford Test has been drawn. Weather here is well known. Good to have a North West Test and not have Headingley as our closest but it shouldn't be in September.

Why couldn't Old Trafford have been the first Test in Summer and have eg Lords and The Oval as the autumnal Tests if we need to be playing The Ashes in September?
    Meanwhile sunny here in Brum, and no rain forecast all day.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    My ideal Christmas present:

Lab refuses to approve a GE until after 31st as only way of making sure govt do not renege on law. Nov 4th, Lab VoNC govt in knowledge deadline is gone and they have until whenever to worry about no deal. Either Labour led gov forms and immediately calls a GE or 14 days go by, no govt forms, GE is called. The Thursday 6 weeks after that 14 days? Boxing day. Good GE day: people already off work (sorry council workers who have to do the count), families are together so intergenerational discussion on which direction the country should go, New Year, New Govt, start 2020 tabula rasa (yeah, right).
  • Options

In heaven's name, why?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I disagree, on the latest Yougov the Tories will still win more seats in Scotland than they did at any general election from 1997 to 2017. The Tories are also winning 6% of 2017 Labour voters with Yougov while only losing 1% of 2017 Tory voters to Labour and Labour is also losing 8% of 2017 Labour voters to the Brexit Party too all of which adds up to a clear swing from Labour to the Tories in Labour Leave seats even if Corbyn reduces the loss of 2017 Labour voters to the LDs and Greens

Your post last night really made me laugh. It was your best yet (the one about it being a tactical triumph for Boris!!!). Sadly I couldn't applaud as I didn't have time. But well done. Your mentor Comical Ali has nothing on you
    Odds on a tory maj have been shorteningin the last couple of days and are approaching 50%. So it looks to me as if HYUFD is more on the money than you are, actually.

I don't have a crystal ball, but my guess (based on following politics for 40+ years) is another hung parliament
  • Options
    From the people ive spoken to Labour denying an election is going to backfire badly.

• Options

The liberal party became a third party in the 1920s. Is it possible the same could happen to the conservatives in the 2020s?

Nope but it is possible it could happen to Corbyn Labour as the Liberals overtake them again.

The Tories would only have come third had the Brexit Party overtaken them
  • Options

In heaven's name, why?
    Bit like the clown who bet the house on Kipper most seats when they were only standing in about half
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

What election?
    What activists?

I'm unenthused too to be honest Mortimer. I neither trust nor like Johnson,and I think his strategy is both disingenuous and doomed to failure.

But, without sounding too misanthropic, I basically dislike all sides these days.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Cowardly Corbyn Frit! :D
    Corbyn said yesterday in the Commons he will back a general election if the Bill passes today to block No Deal, Starmer is not Corbyn
  • Options

From the people ive spoken to Labour denying an election is going to backfire badly.

Theyll be getting feedback from the doorstep as the day progresses no doubt!
  • Options

In heaven's name, why?
    While I was the one laying it, I don't scoff at my counterparty. If Boris Johnson becomes a busted flush - and he's straying perilously close to that - if he's not replaced before an election, where are all the Leavers going to go?
  • Options

Bravo ECB.

I presume you mean every 21st century Ashes test has been drawn? Old Trafford has been getting more results recently than it used to:

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Grounds/GroundMatches.asp?GroundCode=047
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I don't have a crystal ball, but my guess (based on following politics for 40+ years) is another hung parliament
    Well the odds are the odds. That is still the odds on bet. The interesting thing is that the odds on a tory maj have been shortening and are now nearly 50/50.

Which suggest that all the piss and wind currently on the MSM, PB etc cuts little ice with the general public.

That is the problem with echo chambers.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Sacrificing some of your MPs make sense if they're never going to vote with you. Like so many things, better out than in.

What if they nearly always vote for you, and have done for decades, and would continue to always vote for you, except on this one issue?
    Is this one issue an issue of confidence or not?

Parties should be a broad church but absolutely must come together on issues of confidence.

Even Redwood, Cash and IDS voted through Maastricht when it became a confidence motion. Soames, Hammond etc chose to cross a bridge even Cash wouldn't cross.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited September 2019

How exactly do labour think they will get the election they say they want if they refuse to vote for it? And how do they honestly think this looks to the electorate?

Inded.

I think we'll see Con 40%+ in the weekend polls.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Scott_P said:
    Was that greater or less than a million to one?
  • Options
    Interesting that Adam Boulton has suggested the mps voting against yesteday can still stand as a conservative candidates if the election is within 3 months of their rejection

I have no idea how true that is
  • Options
    But any election will be fought on the basis that the law will be revoked!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Remainers are trying to prove that isn't true.
    It is leavers self destructing making it less likely!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

How exactly do labour think they will get the election they say they want if they refuse to vote for it? And how do they honestly think this looks to the electorate?

Inded.

I think we'll see Con 40% in the weekend polls.
    Corbyn's a turkey voting for an early Xmas
  • Options

Big if though

It is amazing people think Hammond and Clarke have sacrificed their careers for this bill but will let the PM destroy it in the Lords. They would simply change the PM if forced to by further shenanigans. It is obvious. The bill will pass and become law. The interesting question is who will be PM when it happens.
    If the Lords talk it out to Saturday as mooted prorogation kicks in Monday and Boris is untouchable till mid October and is not bound by benn. Its whether the Lords can achieve this that's the question. Theres a plan, will it work?
    It doesnt matter. Even if you are right and he is untouchable til October what then? He has a month of office but no power, fails to get anything done with the EU who have no incentive to give him an inch, and gets no confidenced with an alternative PM, probably Corbyn who enacts the legislation.

The lesson of the last year is parliament is sovereign, if the executive insists on a policy strongly at odds with the Commons it will keep losing. Each time it loses it loses further power. It needs to accept the will of the Commons.
    If the bill fails because Lords but there's no imminent election, what do we reckon about the next steps for the "Rebel (not much of an) Alliance"?

I think most of the expelled would probably now coalesce around almost any alternative govt in a VONC scenario - absolutely zero f*cks given by Rory Stewart or Ken Clarke for giving BJ a bloody nose. The bigger question is whether Lab or the SNP/LDs can agree on who should lead it. Perhaps we need some indicative votes :)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well the odds are the odds. That is still the odds on bet. The interesting thing is that the odds on a tory maj have been shortening and are now nearly 50/50.

Which suggest that all the piss and wind currently on the MSM, PB etc cuts little ice with the general public.

That is the problem with echo chambers.
    The last matched odds on Betfair for a Conservative overall majority are 2.76 (7/4 in old money). You're entitled to your own opinions but not to your own facts.
  • Options

It's delaying to avoid a fait accompli.

Equally over an election campaign as Boris implodes and avoids any unmanaged campaign stops I believe Boris's unsuitability for anything will become very clear.
  • Options
    The Lab-Lib line really isn’t “simplicity itself”. They are deeply confused and divided as to when and how to agree to a new election, one that will simultaneously prevent a formal No Deal and disallow Boris from sneaking a crash out by shifting the date.

Everything is still in flux.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    In a post Scotland part of the UK world, it seems there would be a clear majority for an English nationalist government, whether Bluekip or Brexit Party.

Again the remain alliance should be thinking this through further than todays battles. It is impossible to stop Brexit without SNP support. SNP support has a reasonable chance of resulting in Scotland leaving the union. Whats left would Brexit anyway.

Ergo the remain alliance should be focused on delivering a soft Brexit, not remain.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,295

Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

If you read the Never Mind, Edward St. Aubyn's first of the Patrick Melrose novels you will never look at figs in the same way again.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    US Vice President tells Ireland US backs Brexit

"As the deadline for Brexit approaches we urge Ireland, and the EU as well, to negotiate in good faith with Prime Minister Johnson,"

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/dismay-after-pence-backs-brexiteers-over-ireland-38465286.html
  • Options
    148grss said:

My ideal Christmas present:

Lab refuses to approve a GE until after 31st as only way of making sure govt do not renege on law. Nov 4th, Lab VoNC govt in knowledge deadline is gone and they have until whenever to worry about no deal. Either Labour led gov forms and immediately calls a GE or 14 days go by, no govt forms, GE is called. The Thursday 6 weeks after that 14 days? Boxing day. Good GE day: people already off work (sorry council workers who have to do the count), families are together so intergenerational discussion on which direction the country should go, New Year, New Govt, start 2020 tabula rasa (yeah, right).

Boxing Day is a Bank Holiday - it would be January 9th were we to follow the tradition of Thursday elections.
  • Options

But any election will be fought on the basis that the law will be revoked!
    And if there is a hung parliament, as is odds on, it wont get repealed.
  • Options

"As the deadline for Brexit approaches we urge Ireland, and the EU as well, to negotiate in good faith with Prime Minister Johnson,"

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/dismay-after-pence-backs-brexiteers-over-ireland-38465286.html

Um, I think the EU is negotiating in Good faith - it seems from all reports that it's the UK that isn't.
  • Options
    eek said:

Um, I think the EU is negotiating in Good faith - it seems from all reports that it's the UK that isn't.
    Tell that to Mike Pence.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

The Lab-Lib line really isn’t “simplicity itself”. They are deeply confused and divided as to when and how to agree to a new election, one that will simultaneously prevent a formal No Deal and disallow Boris from sneaking a crash out by shifting the date.

Everything is still in flux.
    The Lib Lab line of no election until we know you can't trick us out of the EU on October 31st is clear cut.

The presentation of it as a problem as it's multiple people saying the same thing in very different ways.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    eek said:

It's delaying to avoid a fait accompli.

Equally over an election campaign as Boris implodes and avoids any unmanaged campaign stops I believe Boris's unsuitability for anything will become very clear.
    Like in the two mayoral elections?
    Not posted as a Boris voter btw, I have genuinely no idea who I'll vote for, the person best placed to unseat the odious Clive Lewis
  • Options

Interesting that Adam Boulton has suggested the mps voting against yesteday can still stand as a conservative candidates if the election is within 3 months of their rejection

I read something similar on politico, it was unconfirmed but someone arguing re Hammond, if tory party association has selected you, you can stand for 3 months from the selection even if you dont have the whip. No idea if true or not.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

Well, Trump / Pence might.

The Senate on the other hand backs winning reelection, and that involves lots of voters who care more about their Irish identity than perfidious Albion. It also involves all the different lobbies below, one of the most powerful being the Pork Lobby, who really want to sell their pork in Europe but can't because the EU has actual standards...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/us-lobbyists-brexit_uk_5c5b26c6e4b00187b5579f64?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJlYTa9nAZO9Vr6n_IGhj0dr5dbOA1jSUQOqBYljC2Vg-UEpzu-izS8Ul4MRF5NMDwckPesImJc8Fur70IqMR4SD5Nm16Ph6y_VHL3W0JSVUQMxMsQQB4yhKp_-TE7SbYo2qix8WVngaKaFulwznry22QINgxnCHo8q2mC-banPc
  • Options
    If it's of any interest, last night's dramas have made headline news on multiple Bulgarian national and local radio stations.

I've been quizzed about it twice this morning.
  • Options

It's not true. Mark Wallace sets out the position very clearly here: https://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2019/09/no-philip-hammonds-reselection-last-night-does-not-protect-him-from-being-deselected-if-he-loses-the-whip.html
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    CUMMINGS HAS WARGAMED THIS !!!

https://twitter.com/gavinesler/status/1169160161757470720

Hasn't he?
  • Options

It shouldn't have been, that was dumb. They've lost Big_G and many other _Gs of various sizes, they no longer have a majority to pass anything else, and they gained what? They lost a vote by a marginally smaller margin than they would otherwise. The voters think Boris is determined to Brexit which is part of the strategy so it's on-brand but the voters already thought that.

The overall strategy is probably OK but this move was very stupid (or incredibly clever, pending some amazing 4D chess move that we are yet to witness).
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

If it's of any interest, last night's dramas have made headline news on multiple Bulgarian national and local radio stations.

I've been quizzed about it twice this morning.

A close friend of mine in Finland sent a video of Finnish news coming live from the HOC along with a gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Although it is down to Irish lawlessness, and not Brexit:

"illegal blockades of beef processing facilities"

Has Nanci Pelosi opined yet?
  • Options

It's not true. Mark Wallace sets out the position very clearly here: https://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2019/09/no-philip-hammonds-reselection-last-night-does-not-protect-him-from-being-deselected-if-he-loses-the-whip.html
    Thank you
  • Options

In heaven's name, why?
    While I was the one laying it, I don't scoff at my counterparty. If Boris Johnson becomes a busted flush - and he's straying perilously close to that - if he's not replaced before an election, where are all the Leavers going to go?
    Not all to the BXP and even if they did by some miracle elect Farage he couldn't command the Commons with anything close to a majority.

He should be 100/1.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Well, Trump / Pence might.

The Senate on the other hand backs winning reelection, and that involves lots of voters who care more about their Irish identity than perfidious Albion. It also involves all the different lobbies below, one of the most powerful being the Pork Lobby, who really want to sell their pork in Europe but can't because the EU has actual standards...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/us-lobbyists-brexit_uk_5c5b26c6e4b00187b5579f64?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJlYTa9nAZO9Vr6n_IGhj0dr5dbOA1jSUQOqBYljC2Vg-UEpzu-izS8Ul4MRF5NMDwckPesImJc8Fur70IqMR4SD5Nm16Ph6y_VHL3W0JSVUQMxMsQQB4yhKp_-TE7SbYo2qix8WVngaKaFulwznry22QINgxnCHo8q2mC-banPc
    Trump came to power assisted by disaffected Irish blue collar workers in rust belt states.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:

Hasn't he?

Yes he has! I sincerely believe it is all happening to plan, they are deliberately self destructing to avoid responsibility for an extension, then plan to win an election and use the majority and time from the extension to start the real negotiations with the EU. It is not a terrible plan once the PM had boxed himself in by committing to comply with the French deadline, but utterly cynical.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:
    A timely reminder that the remain alliance may have won the battle, but whatever the next steps, whichever side evenutally wins the war, the country loses!
    Remainers will never win so long as they consistently give out strong pheromones that they think the concept of this country is redundant.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited September 2019

kyf_100 said:

Sacrificing some of your MPs make sense if they're never going to vote with you. Like so many things, better out than in.

What if they nearly always vote for you, and have done for decades, and would continue to always vote for you, except on this one issue?

Parties should be a broad church but absolutely must come together on issues of confidence.

Even Redwood, Cash and IDS voted through Maastricht when it became a confidence motion. Soames, Hammond etc chose to cross a bridge even Cash wouldn't cross.
    It was not a vote of confidence. Tabled by neither the government or the LotO.
  • Options
    Now the Tory government is a minority government, surely MPs' thinking should be steered back towards a VoNC and setting up a temporary anti-No Deal government?
  • Options

Although it is down to Irish lawlessness, and not Brexit:

"illegal blockades of beef processing facilities"

Has Nanci Pelosi opined yet?
    it;s down to supermarkets and processors not paying enough to cover farmers costs. Its the same problem we have with dairy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Hasn't he?

I'd think hed accept, call it for Oct 15 then once parliament is dissolved make it clear to the EU if he gets a majority not to bother offering an extension.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Scott_P said:

Hasn't he?

It can say what it likes - the law will have no force if Boris wins a majority in that election.

Not good news for Corbyn if this goes through, as unlike 2017 this election will most definitely be a Brexit election.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Always suspected the Lords could and would filibuster. Another twist.

https://order-order.com/2019/09/04/revealed-lords-plan-block-remainer-legislation/

Well that's the Lords finally going to be reformed come the next non-Tory government
    Everyone threatens electoral reform until they get in to power. Then they find they like the system that got them there.
    That's why I suspect we will get Lords reform - it's less painful than changing our FPTP system..
    This talk of Lords Filibuster is surely overdone. If they thwart the Government in this way, the institution is finished. Even fairly wishy washy opponents like me would want it abolished.

They must know that.
  • Options

It shouldn't have been, that was dumb. They've lost Big_G and many other _Gs of various sizes, they no longer have a majority to pass anything else, and they gained what? They lost a vote by a marginally smaller margin than they would otherwise. The voters think Boris is determined to Brexit which is part of the strategy so it's on-brand but the voters already thought that.

The overall strategy is probably OK but this move was very stupid (or incredibly clever, pending some amazing 4D chess move that we are yet to witness).
    Was it? I regret what happened yesterday and the probable loss of many dedicated Conservative MPs (and, indeed, @Big_G_NorthWales 's resignation this morning) but Tom McTague has a point here:
    https://twitter.com/TomMcTague/status/1168793646071726081
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

Jonathan said:

You get the feeling that the Tory party will wake up at some point realising what the hell it has done to itself. The only question is will it be too late to do anything about it.

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonMSP/status/1169144620258910208
    Because if he votes against the party on a matter of confidence then he has chosen his path.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Hasn't he?

Yes he has! I sincerely it is all happening to plan, they are deliberately self destructing to avoid responsibility for an extension, then plan to win an election and use the majority and time from the extension to start the real negotiations with the EU. It is not a terrible plan once the PM had boxed himself in by committing to comply with the French deadline, but utterly cynical.
    "start the real negotiations" lol

We do have some comedians on PB.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited September 2019
    Dadge said:

Byronic said:

I s.

I'm surprised you don't understand how FPTP works. It is not decided on national vote share. Because of the changed configuration of parties and shares since 2017, he is likely to be able to gain a parliamentary majority with less than 40% of the votes.
    I'd like to think I do understand how FPTP works ;)

I'd like to press you to follow through the logic of what you have, correctly, written. Where exactly are the tories going to pick up these extra seats on their lower vote share? Be pragmatic for a moment. That's the point of this excellent TSE thread header. Here are the plausible outcomes:

1. The South

Con to LibDems. Possibly in large numbers.

2. Scotland

Con to everyone else. Probably in large numbers

3. The North

So this is Cummings' brainwave? Weaponise liberal leftie policies like gay and trans rights, pitch at the Labour working class Brexit vote.
    Even if they did abandon Labour (which I doubt) do we really think that the Labour heartlands are going to fall for Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg over the blokey Nigel Farage?

Labour will perform better than current polling I suspect because all the polls have been conducted in the nexus of Brexit. Amazingly, people will be concerned about loads of other things during the General Election campaign. Brexit will burn brightly at first then fade. It's never really been of that much interest to people outside the right-wing of the tory party. Issues like the NHS, schools, transport, jobs, inflation, climate etc. etc. will be coming to the fore. I cannot see the Johnson Conservatives leading the way on them. Rory Stewart would. But not Johnson.

Labour heartlands won't turn from Labour.

So I reckon the FPTP will work the opposite way from how you think. Because of the geographical nuances, the Conservatives will outperform in vote share their actual share of the seats.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Hasn't he?

It can say what it likes - the law will have no force if Boris wins a majority in that election.

Not good news for Corbyn if this goes through, as unlike 2017 this election will most definitely be a Brexit election.
    hmmmm

I think Jezza will make it a bread and butter issue election as its more in tune with the voters. The Tories had better have something similar lined up as Brexit alone wont cut it. See Theresa May.
  • Options

Was it? I regret what happened yesterday and the probable loss of many dedicated Conservative MPs (and, indeed, @Big_G_NorthWales 's resignation this morning) but Tom McTague has a point here:
    Struggling a bit there TP.

Keep your head down and good luck in the forthcoming GE. The House needs you and your sort. Hope the Party still has room for you.
  • Options

Bravo ECB.

I presume you mean every 21st century Ashes test has been drawn? Old Trafford has been getting more results recently than it used to:

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Grounds/GroundMatches.asp?GroundCode=047
    Yes Ashes I meant to say.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Always suspected the Lords could and would filibuster. Another twist.

https://order-order.com/2019/09/04/revealed-lords-plan-block-remainer-legislation/

Well that's the Lords finally going to be reformed come the next non-Tory government
    Everyone threatens electoral reform until they get in to power. Then they find they like the system that got them there.
    That's why I suspect we will get Lords reform - it's less painful than changing our FPTP system..
    This talk of Lords Filibuster is surely overdone. If they thwart the Government in this way, the institution is finished. Even fairly wishy washy opponents like me would want it abolished.

They must know that.
    If the party can discard 21 of its own mps, many long standing servants of the party, it can most certainly filibuster the HOL

The party has lost all sense of perspective
  • Options

Parties have positions and not all their MPs believe in them, that's normal. The Tories still have *lots* of MPs who don't believe in No Deal but didn't vote with the opposition on that particular motion.
This discussion has been closed.