Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Boris Johnson ignores the no deal law then 50/1 on him bein

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    eek said:

It's completely unfair but surely CUMMINGS HAS WARGAMED THIS !!!

https://twitter.com/KarlBuzz16/status/1169286171903610881
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited September 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Either you, the guardian or Carney is wrong. Or all of you. See my recent post

It depends what timescale you look at. Yes it's lost growth if you look far enough out, but to get there you have substantial downturn first.
    Hahaha. I pwned the great Nabavi. All your base are belong to I. Etc

But it’s an understandable error. That is truly shit reporting by the Guardian. Making lost growth look like absolute shrinkage? TSK
    You are quibbling over details. To people losing jobs because of it, they will not gave a d*mn which category the recession belongs to.
    You don’t understand basic economics. There is a WORLD of difference between 5% shrinkage in absolute GDP, and a 5% opportunity cost in lost growth
    If I lose my job because of it, why would I care which category it belongs in?

What difference would it make? I would still be unemployed.
    Finally a remain voter is in the mindset of the people who voted Leave because of the mass immigration of cheap EU labour
    Is the average EU migrant earning more or less than you, I wonder?
    Me personally? It depends which year

But the pressure put on wages, job security & state services added to the rapid change in their neighbourhood demographic were the equivalent of a No Deal Brexit on the lowest paid British workers from 2004-2016, that's why they voted Leave, and the lack of negative impact on richer Brits was the reason they didn't/don't understand the problem with FOM

Except the highest Brexit votes were in areas of low EU immigration. The laces where most EU immigrants tend to settle voted Remain.

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,898
    Brilliant!
    Pulpstar said:

eristdoof said:

AndyJS said:

No bails on the stumps FFS.

Never seen that before. I've seen the heavy bails being used a few times.
    They are trying the heavy bails now – with screws in the end to make them even heavier.
    You could screw them to the stumps to stop them from blowing away!
    Not heavy enough for Labuschagne.
    Did Overton's delivery actually clip that screw they driven into the off bail?? Looked a bit like it!
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, I did say beforehand (many times) the Conservative MPs were nuts to back Boris Johnson.

Given how things are going, I wonder if some of them are contemplating throwing him overboard before he does that to them.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Scott_P said:
    One wonders how we will all get on if we Revoke and Remain, after, say, a 2nd referendum. Very uncomfortable.
    Disastrously. A very karge portion of the population will vote for anyone who can undermine and derail any relationship with the EU. Any party promising using blanket vetoes on all EU plans such as budgets will do very well.
  • Options

As usual TSE is talking rot. The first to break precedent was the speaker acting on behalf of remainers:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/09/john-bercow-decision-endangers-the-office-of-speaker-and-our-democracy

Look plank, there's a distinction between breaking a precedent, and breaking the law.
    he wont be breaking the law until it is signed into law by the Royal assent. Which can be (legitimately) delayed. Two can play at Parliamentary games.

Your language is unhelpful and betrays both a slightly weak mind as well as a weak argument.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,928
    Tabman said:

isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

It depends what timescale you look at. Yes it's lost growth if you look far enough out, but to get there you have substantial downturn first.

But it’s an understandable error. That is truly shit reporting by the Guardian. Making lost growth look like absolute shrinkage? TSK
    You are quibbling over details. To people losing jobs because of it, they will not gave a d*mn which category the recession belongs to.
    You don’t understand basic economics. There is a WORLD of difference between 5% shrinkage in absolute GDP, and a 5% opportunity cost in lost growth

Finally a remain voter is in the mindset of the people who voted Leave because of the mass immigration of cheap EU labour

But the pressure put on wages, job security & state services added to the rapid change in their neighbourhood demographic were the equivalent of a No Deal Brexit on the lowest paid British workers from 2004-2016, that's why they voted Leave, and the lack of negative impact on richer Brits was the reason they didn't/don't understand the problem with FOM
    Trouble is, you expel productive European workers and sack higher rate taxpayers, shrink the economy and wreck trade for decades, you're not going to make life any better for anyone.
    But the have nots / those without hope don't care about that as they won't initially see the impact.

That will only occur later when austerity 2 needs to be rapidly implemented to make up for the tax shortfalls.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,286
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1169287207187886081

Kicking out Spelman is sure to calm some nerves...

So tonight we're going to get the usual: 'One MP, not normally a loyalist, told me that Boris received the most positive reception he'd ever seen. Everyone was cheerful and relaxed.'
  • Options
    I reserve the right to laugh myself to death if the PCP returns to reason and subjects the PM to a no confidence vote. :p

Don't think it'll happen immediately, mind.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Except the highest Brexit votes were in areas of low EU immigration.

What gave you that absurd idea? The highest Brexit votes were in eastern English areas exposed to mass EU immigration. The biggest leave vote of all was in Boston

How immigration changed Boston, Lincolnshire http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36258541

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/20-areas-in-the-uk-that-recorded-highest-leave-and-remain-votes-in-the-brexit-referendum-897432.html

Fail.
  • Options

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Unless the Queen signs a law requiring further extension Boris will not be breaking the law as passage of an Act of Parliament alone does not a law make, it also requires royal assent.

With over 20% of UK voters believing the Queen was right to assent to proroguing Parliament the current crisis is not harming the monarchy but the legislature

Over 20%. Wow. A colossal level of public support.
    Over 20% - which means over 70% believe the Queen was wrong to assent to proroguing Parliament.

Boris is really going to be remembered - as the person who destroyed the UK and destroyed the monarchy with it.
    The Queen acts on the advice of her PM. The truly revolutionary act would have been to refuse Johnson's request (which after all was only for 4 days).

You people are sowing dragons' teeth with this nonsense...
    For those who understand how Parliament works 4 days is a obvious falsehood.
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, I did say beforehand (many times) the Conservative MPs were nuts to back Boris Johnson.

Given how things are going, I wonder if some of them are contemplating throwing him overboard before he does that to them.

Your words would have greater impact had you not recently pledged your allegiance to Andrea Jenkyns.
  • Options
    I have to admit, I was not in favour of Brexit.

Didn't vote for it, didn't think it was a good idea.

But, this Parliament Taking Back Control lark is extremely entertaining...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    Cicero said:

I think the past 24 hours have been utterly devastating for the Conservatives. Worse than Black Wednesday by a significant factor.

The optics are truly awful. Starting with Johnson's bullshit speech outside Number 10 being drowned out by booing. Losing a phlanx of the most solidly Tory MPs you could imagine through your own childish intransigence. The utterly bollocks "rowing back from austerity", Lee crossing the floor, the much bigger defeat than expected and the body language of Rees Mogg. 100,000 signing up to vote in 24 hours- the *same 24 hours* as the Tory government imploded.

This is the inflection point when the Tories can't get it back.

I think the polls will be increasingly terrifying for Johnson- no one likes losers, and they particularly don't like entitled bastard losers.

I also think that tactical voting against the Tories will accelerate the losses they are going to make.

1997 may not be the low point for the Tories- this time I don't think that they can come back.

What utter crap, the latest poll gives a 10% Tory lead what clueless diehard Remainers like you cannot understand is the people have had enough, they are fed up with being patronised by the likes of you and by a Commons which refuses to respect their Leave vote which is why Boris will win the next general election and crush Corbyn Labour once and for all into the bargain
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Haven't heard anything for a while about the "Money Resolution" issue.

ie Staying in the EU requires the spending of money and only the Govt can propose the spending of money.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1169287207187886081

Kicking out Spelman is sure to calm some nerves...

So tonight we're going to get the usual: 'One MP told me, not normally a loyalist, that Boris received the most positive reception he'd ever seen. Everyone was cheerful and relaxed.'
    The 1922 committee meetings are possibly the global acme of hail-fellow-well-met hypocrisy.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    eek said:

Tabman said:

isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Trouble is, you expel productive European workers and sack higher rate taxpayers, shrink the economy and wreck trade for decades, you're not going to make life any better for anyone.
    But the have nots / those without hope don't care about that as they won't initially see the impact.

That will only occur later when austerity 2 needs to be rapidly implemented to make up for the tax shortfalls.
    Depend whether anyone points out the connection between tax revenues and benefit handouts, I suppose.
  • Options

As usual TSE is talking rot. The first to break precedent was the speaker acting on behalf of remainers:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/09/john-bercow-decision-endangers-the-office-of-speaker-and-our-democracy

Look plank, there's a distinction between breaking a precedent, and breaking the law.
    he wont be breaking the law until it is signed into law by the Royal assent. Which can be (legitimately) delayed. Two can play at Parliamentary games.

Your language is unhelpful and betrays both a slightly weak mind as well as a weak argument.
    Says the guy who called me mad earlier.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,789
    Scott_P said:
    Unfortunately Nicola doesn't want to hang around until Labour's polls lead recovers. ;)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    MikeL said:

ie Staying in the EU requires the spending of money and only the Govt can propose the spending of money.

I think Bercow announced it wasn't a money issue, but can't find a source for that at the moment. Given that the bill has reached second reading already makes that a moot point, surely?
  • Options
    BoZo is a man of his word, who does what says and says what he does...

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1169289589200175106
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,881

The fallout from both 2014 and 2016 has been a masterclass in why representative and direct democracy are wholly incompatible. First the Scottish electorate votes in a Nationalist Government and then denies it its core policy objective at a referendum. Then the UK electorate votes for a policy in a referendum, but elects a Parliament that is unwilling and unable to implement the policy. The result is that the policy in dispute gains a life of its own and all else begins to revolve and polarise around it. Scotland has Ulsterized around independence, and it's quite possible that England will Ulsterize around membership of the EU. It's hugely destructive.

We should therefore follow the example of the Germans and ban plebiscites under all circumstances save two: an NI border poll, because of the GFA, and for ratification or amendment of a constitution, should Parliament decide that one is needed and put it to the people.

As far as any other issue, include Scottish independence, is concerned, it should be a matter for our representatives. England as well as Scotland and Wales should have its own Parliament and, if we are going to continue to recognise the Union between them as temporary and dissoluble rather than permanent, then all three of those bodies should have a right to vote for secession, subject to certain limited safeguards.

Couldn't disagree more. Plenty of countries make referendums a key part of their legislation and do it very well. And your two examples of failure are spurious.

In the case of the Scottish vote there is nothing problematic or inconsistent with having the SNP elected with one their policies being independence and then having that specific policy rejected by the electorate. They still have many other policies they can enact in Government. Moreover the alternative would be to say that the SNP should simply have declared independence without a referendum - something that at the time clearly had only minority support as we well know from the referendum itself.

As far as Brexit is concerned I would suggest many of those MPs now obstructing or trying to reverse Brexit would never have got elected in 2015 had they been honest and said they would try to reverse the referendum.

The problem is not referendums it is the MPs.
    I presume you mean 2017.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    No it is great news for Boris, Parliament blocking the will of the people and defying 17 million Leave voters as the Tories poll lead grows further
    No so sure. It is certainly chaotic and Boris has had a nightmare 48 hours
  • Options
    Byronic said:

isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

What gave you that absurd idea? The highest Brexit votes were in eastern English areas exposed to mass EU immigration. The biggest leave vote of all was in Boston

How immigration changed Boston, Lincolnshire http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36258541

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/20-areas-in-the-uk-that-recorded-highest-leave-and-remain-votes-in-the-brexit-referendum-897432.html

Fail.

Hmmmm ....

http://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-how-areas-with-low-immigration-voted-mainly-for-brexit-62138

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Byronic said:

Scott_P said:
    One wonders how we will all get on if we Revoke and Remain, after, say, a 2nd referendum. Very uncomfortable.
    Disastrously. A very karge portion of the population will vote for anyone who can undermine and derail any relationship with the EU. Any party promising using blanket vetoes on all EU plans such as budgets will do very well.
    Oh surely not: we're so genteel.

While I'm up & running let me ask why we don't "bin" the monarchy and write a few things down?
  • Options

Spellman expelled

She's the one that forced those ghastly slop buckets into every kithcen in the land!

Good riddance. :D
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Spellman expelled

Last days of Rome? It’s embarrassing.
    Will the last Tory MP in the Commons please turn out the lights.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Scott_P said:
    Unwise to use him as your standard bearer. His twitter feed describes him as

"Actor, writer, director, fool."

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Except the highest Brexit votes were in areas of low EU immigration. The laces where most EU immigrants tend to settle voted Remain.

Wrong.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    edited September 2019

isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

I think both statements can be true. The immigrants who had a positive impact on the country predominantly moved to and could afford to live in the remain areas. The immigrants who brought fewer positives perhaps couldnt afford to live in the more affluent remain areas and were therefore disproportionately in the leave areas.

It was clearly a factor in some leave voters decisions and whether their perception is correct or not it is hard to argue that was not their perception.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

I think the past 24 hours have been utterly devastating for the Conservatives. Worse than Black Wednesday by a significant factor.

The optics are truly awful. Starting with Johnson's bullshit speech outside Number 10 being drowned out by booing. Losing a phlanx of the most solidly Tory MPs you could imagine through your own childish intransigence. The utterly bollocks "rowing back from austerity", Lee crossing the floor, the much bigger defeat than expected and the body language of Rees Mogg. 100,000 signing up to vote in 24 hours- the *same 24 hours* as the Tory government imploded.

I think the polls will be increasingly terrifying for Johnson- no one likes losers, and they particularly don't like entitled bastard losers.

I also think that tactical voting against the Tories will accelerate the losses they are going to make.

1997 may not be the low point for the Tories- this time I don't think that they can come back.

What utter crap, the latest poll gives a 10% Tory lead what clueless diehard Remainers like you cannot understand is the people have had enough, they are fed up with being patronised by the likes of you and by a Commons which refuses to respect their Leave vote which is why Boris will win the next general election and crush Corbyn Labour once and for all into the bargain
    I think you will be proved correct.
    The split opposition lab lib and a deal with Farage , will ensure a healthy Johnson majority.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

She's the one that forced those ghastly slop buckets into every kithcen in the land!

She's BAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKK!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    No it is great news for Boris, Parliament blocking the will of the people and defying 17 million Leave voters as the Tories poll lead grows further
    No so sure. It is certainly chaotic and Boris has had a nightmare 48 hours
    Has he? Lets see how his poll lead looks on Saturday evening shall we?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/5076e5ab-fc2c-4617-8e4e-c073c96daa19

• Options
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

I think Bercow announced it wasn't a money issue, but can't find a source for that at the moment. Given that the bill has reached second reading already makes that a moot point, surely?
    Some existing bill or other made extensions allowable so it's not a monetary issue as the extension falls under that act.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

Don't think so - Money Bill and Money Resolution are two completely different things!
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

The fallout from both 2014 and 2016 has been a masterclass in why representative and direct democracy are wholly incompatible. First the Scottish electorate votes in a Nationalist Government and then denies it its core policy objective at a referendum. Then the UK electorate votes for a policy in a referendum, but elects a Parliament that is unwilling and unable to implement the policy. The result is that the policy in dispute gains a life of its own and all else begins to revolve and polarise around it. Scotland has Ulsterized around independence, and it's quite possible that England will Ulsterize around membership of the EU. It's hugely destructive.

We should therefore follow the example of the Germans and ban plebiscites under all circumstances save two: an NI border poll, because of the GFA, and for ratification or amendment of a constitution, should Parliament decide that one is needed and put it to the people.

As far as any other issue, include Scottish independence, is concerned, it should be a matter for our representatives. England as well as Scotland and Wales should have its own Parliament and, if we are going to continue to recognise the Union between them as temporary and dissoluble rather than permanent, then all three of those bodies should have a right to vote for secession, subject to certain limited safeguards.

Couldn't disagree more. Plenty of countries make referendums a key part of their legislation and do it very well. And your two examples of failure are spurious.

In the case of the Scottish vote there is nothing problematic or inconsistent with having the SNP elected with one their policies being independence and then having that specific policy rejected by the electorate. They still have many other policies they can enact in Government. Moreover the alternative would be to say that the SNP should simply have declared independence without a referendum - something that at the time clearly had only minority support as we well know from the referendum itself.

As far as Brexit is concerned I would suggest many of those MPs now obstructing or trying to reverse Brexit would never have got elected in 2015 had they been honest and said they would try to reverse the referendum.

I presume you mean 2017.
    Apologies yes.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

She's BAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKK!
    Are you OK?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Unfortunately Nicola doesn't want to hang around until Labour's polls lead recovers. ;)
    Nicola + Boris isn't 440 MPs. And the FTPA requires 440 MPs to vote for an early election.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited September 2019
    eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Nicola + Boris isn't 440 MPs. And the FTPA requires 440 MPs to vote for an early election.
    But a one clause Bill doesn’t: and if they are agreed on the text it won’t be amended. If it looks likely, Corbyn will have to find a way to support.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I have to admit, I was not in favour of Brexit.

Didn't vote for it, didn't think it was a good idea.

But, this Parliament Taking Back Control lark is extremely entertaining...

Why don't you share a couple of hundred tweets to show us just how entertaining?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So how does agrifood resolve all the other markets, taxes and laws...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

The split opposition lab lib and a deal with Farage , will ensure a healthy Johnson majority.
    I agree Boris will get a majority mainly through gains from Labour but I do not expect a huge Tory majority as he will also lose some seats to the LDs and SNP
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Nick Soames very witty.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

But FOM

I think both statements can be true. The immigrants who had a positive impact on the country predominantly moved to and could afford to live in the remain areas. The immigrants who brought fewer positives perhaps couldnt afford to live in the more affluent remain areas and were therefore disproportionately in the leave areas.

It was clearly a factor in some leave voters decisions and whether their perception is correct or not it is hard to argue that was not their perception.

I totally agree. But it is also the case that areas in which immigration is relatively low tended to vote Leave, while those where it is high tended to vote Remain. What is also the case, without question, is that those areas in England and Wales where wages are low and pubic services are most constrained also tended to vote Leave - regardless of EU immigration levels. The other hting to throw into the mix, of course, is age: the older you were the more likely you were to vote Leave, wherever you lived and whatever your financial circumstances.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,089
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

From the Hansard website:
    The hon. Gentleman has raised very important questions about a money resolution and Queen’s consent. Yes, this Bill is different, but I have, of course, consulted the Clerk of Legislation and other senior Clerks, on whose procedural expertise we regularly call. My ruling on Wednesday 3 April 2019, in respect of the earlier Bill that the hon. Gentleman referenced, was that

“the European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 5) Bill does not require either a Ways and Means motion or a money resolution… extending the period under article 50 would continue the UK’s rights and obligations as a member state of the EU for the period of the extension, which would have substantial consequences for both spending and taxation.”—[Official Report, 3 April 2019; Vol. 657, c. 1130-31.]

Clause 4(1) of the Bill before us today would require exit day to be moved to match any extension agreed with the European Council. The financial resolutions passed on Monday 11 September 2017 give fully adequate cover for the exercise by Ministers of their powers under sections 23 and 24 of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 to move exit day in order to keep in lockstep with the date for the expiry of the European treaties, which, of course, is determined by article 50 of the treaty on European Union.

So far as Queen’s consent is concerned, my ruling on Wednesday 3 April was that

“as no prerogative consent was required for the Bill in 2017 giving parliamentary authority to the Prime Minister to take action under article 50 of the treaty on European Union, there is no requirement for new and separate prerogative consent to be sought for legislation in 2019 on what further action the Prime Minister should take under the same article 50 of the treaty on European Union.”

The Bill before us today could require the Prime Minister to seek and accept an extension in certain circumstances, although it would still be up to the European Council to agree unanimously to an extension with the UK. In these circumstances, and I say this on the basis of professional advice, my ruling is that Queen’s consent is not needed for this Bill.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    But a one clause Bill doesn’t: and if they are agreed on the text it won’t be amended. If it looks likely, Corbyn will have to find a way to support.
    Where did this one clause Bill idea come from as it's not supported under the FTPA.
  • Options
    eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Not if they go for passing a one line bill stating that the election will be on "X" day.

That only requires a majority of one. Boris + Nicola + DUP will get the job done but Labour will have to reverse ferret as soon as it looks like an election is going to happen.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Fail.

Hmmmm ....

http://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-how-areas-with-low-immigration-voted-mainly-for-brexit-62138

You’ve just taken a favorite left wing talking point and used it to furnish your argument, without bothering to check whether it’s true. Embarrassing
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Wrong.
    I don't know all the areas well but Hartlepool????
  • Options
    Stephen Kinnock talking a lot of sense.
  • Options
    eek said:

Where did this one clause Bill idea come from as it's not supported under the FTPA.

It could repeal the FTPA
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Yorkcity said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

How many prospective Tory voters would be put off by a deal with Farage? I find him horrible but I guess the Tories have already lost everyone put off by him.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,688
    Byronic said:

FF43 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

It didn't cut any ice with those that accused the Treasury for lying when they made the same point in their short term impacts report back in 2016.

I admit to being surprised by suggestions that No Deal will cost a couple of percentage points over ten years when Brexit has already cost 3% over three years and we haven't left yet.
    For my sins, I’ve just read the BoE report on No Deal Brexit. To be fair, me, Nabavi and the Guardian are allowed to be confused, because the bank itself is confused. These predictions are so tenuous as to be practically valueless. Also, we have no real idea what might have happened in alternative scenarios, not more than a year or so into the “future”, anyway

The one thing we can say is that No Deal will be painful. With a potential to be hideously painful. And is really best avoided, if poss.
    I think it's simpler than that. No Deal just isn't viable beyond a short term. What does "No Deal" actually mean? It means the absence of agreement. The UK cannot function never agreeing anything with the countries it shares a continent with and with which it is highly integrated.

This leads to the central contradiction of Brexit. Any acceptable outcome involves a very close relationship with the EU, which will be on the EU's terms. If you voted Leave to "take back control", you won't be happy with a rule taking arrangement that results in less influence over the things that matter.

The political mess, which was entirely predictable back in 2016 in scale if not the detail comes from Leavers' continuing unwillingness to accept that contradiction.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

eek said:

It could repeal the FTPA
    That would require more than 1 clause...
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

isam said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

But reason they didn't/don't understand the problem with FOM

Fail.

Hmmmm ....

You’ve just taken a favorite left wing talking point and used it to furnish your argument, without bothering to check whether it’s true. Embarrassing

OK.

• Options
    eek said:

ab195 said:

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

"Alternatively, as the New Statesman’s political editor Stephen Bush has noted, an election can be called by “passing a one-line bill stating that ‘notwithstanding the Fixed-term Parliaments Act, the next election will be on X, the FTPA act will continue to apply otherwise” (one route Theresa May considered in 2017)."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/09/how-general-election-called
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

In the case of Brexit, (most) MPs are obviously to a very large extent to blame for this mess - if, as seems pretty clear, the majority of them thought leaving the EU a disaster not to be contemplated, then they should never have voted to hold the referendum in the first place - but it doesn't solve the central problem of trying to treat our representatives as delegates.

By voting contrary to what MPs were willing to stomach in a referendum, and then compounding the situation by voting in another contrarian Parliament, voters have created circumstances - and this isn't deliberate and isn't their fault, but it is what has come about nonetheless - in which continual corrosive damage to democracy is bound to result. We end up with a confused, dithering and impotent Parliament which contains a majority of members that wish either to comply with the instruction given in the referendum half-heartedly or not at all, and cannot agree on any resolution at all as a result. Meanwhile, a large chunk of the Leave electorate now feels insulted and robbed. It's madness.

In Scotland the situation is somewhat different. Voters have rejected independence in a plebiscite, but keep returning secessionist Parliaments - there is sufficient support for one thing but not quite enough for the other. The risk is that, therefore, both Scotland and the rest of the UK become stuck in a rut: as long as this stalemate exists, the Scottish Government will keep trying to engineer independence referendums and the rest of the UK will be under constant threat of dissolution, with no idea as to if or when it might happen. It's not exactly ideal...
  • Options
    If I could offer a suggestion to those who are currently utterly giddy with every rumour and tweet relating to the goings on in parliament.

Stand back and have a look at the bigger picture.

Perhaps even chat with normal people who have rounded lives and don't sit obsessing about politics.

I think you might find that the wider perception is more like:

1. Johnson is trying to get Brexit through

2. Parliament are stopping him implementing the referendum result

For the vast majority of normal people it goes no deeper than that.

Which is why the swivel-eyed headbangers on here are in all likelihood going to get an enormous shock the morning after the GE.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    How will Remainers react if there is an election and Boris wins a comfortable majority?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Voting for it at third reading is where it matters.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    The SNP can't be of any practical help in the House of Lords, of course.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    eek said:

Scott_P said:
    I understand there are three areas at stake:

- People
    - Customs
    - Live animals

People seems to be dealt with by CTA/Schengen opt out for Ireland. Customs can be done by making it a criminal act in each side's domestic law. Live animals os a thorny one but looks like Boris is playing for DUP to back down.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,895
    Loads of people want to be MPs, I think many of them have an overinflated sense of their own self importance. If 70 novices are put in place over 70 deselections it won't change the voting totals one bit.
  • Options

If I could offer a suggestion to those who are currently utterly giddy with every rumour and tweet relating to the goings on in parliament.

Perhaps even chat with normal people who have rounded lives and don't sit obsessing about politics.

Which is why the swivel-eyed headbangers on here are in all likelihood going to get an enormous shock the morning after the GE.

Until that last sentence I thought you were going to say you thought Johnson would win a general election!
  • Options

For those with 7 and 8 figure assets or those with fixed incomes immigration has been fantastic.

The downwards pressure on the wages of the poorest has kept inflation in check which is the number 1 enemy for those with wealth.

Stuart Rose let the cat out of the bag and was promptly sacked from the Remain campaign in 2016.

Keep the doors wide open as far as i'm concerned.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    AndyJS said:

How will Remainers react if there is an election and Boris wins a comfortable majority?

Sit back and let him enjoy the sunlit uplands and reap his reward until such time he will have occupied the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

The split opposition lab lib and a deal with Farage , will ensure a healthy Johnson

I thought I'd stumbled into a GUM clinic ....
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited September 2019
    AndyJS said:

Why, we'd probably lead the leavers off the cliff.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Bills that pass both houses of parliament automatically become law on prorogation.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    GIN1138 said:

eek said:

ab195 said:

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

"Alternatively, as the New Statesman’s political editor Stephen Bush has noted, an election can be called by “passing a one-line bill stating that ‘notwithstanding the Fixed-term Parliaments Act, the next election will be on X, the FTPA act will continue to apply otherwise” (one route Theresa May considered in 2017)."

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/09/how-general-election-called
    And thus the supermajority provision in the FTPA is effectively worthless, because it can be set aside by a simple majority. Boris Johnson's problem is, of course, that he doesn't have even a simple majority that will support him, hence the fact that neither this route nor the mechanism of simply no-confidencing himself are available to him.

For supermajorities to be effective, e.g. as used for some decisions in the US Congress, they need to be contained within constitutions or basic laws that a legislature can't simply amend or repeal entirely under its own authority.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    How in God's name was that comment off topic? :D
  • Options

In the case of Brexit, (most) MPs are obviously to a very large extent to blame for this mess - if, as seems pretty clear, the majority of them thought leaving the EU a disaster not to be contemplated, then they should never have voted to hold the referendum in the first place - but it doesn't solve the central problem of trying to treat our representatives as delegates.
    I don't think that's clear at all. All but a small handful, like Ken Clarke, were utterly complacent about what leaving the EU would actually entail, and after a couple of decades of a 'special status' relationship, naively thought that even if the vote were lost, we could maintain much the same benefits as a non-member.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Why do so many people on this site think that the twitter opinions of non-entities add something to debates or discussions?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,311
  • Options
    BoZo: So we remove the whip from anyone that votes against us?

DC: Yes

BoZo: Including Spelman.

DC: No, that's just what they expect us to do. Now we really fuck up their OODA loop...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

This is the most likely scenario. We will all have to suck it up and then watch what happens as Johnson delivers his "easily manageable" No Deal Brexit.

• Options

For those with 7 and 8 figure assets or those with fixed incomes immigration has been fantastic.

The downwards pressure on the wages of the poorest has kept inflation in check which is the number 1 enemy for those with wealth.

Stuart Rose let the cat out of the bag and was promptly sacked from the Remain campaign in 2016.

Keep the doors wide open as far as i'm concerned.
    It is more complicated than just money and incomes though. The last decade the over 50s have got richer and richer and the under 50s have struggled more than ever. Yet the opposite trend is shown in the Brexit vote.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

a lot of truth in that

here we analyse the inside of a maggots arse. Most of it is just wasted pixels.

In the wider world there is a much simpler narrative people just arent that interested in politics/
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:

- People
    - Customs
    - Live animals

People seems to be dealt with by CTA/Schengen opt out for Ireland. Customs can be done by making it a criminal act in each side's domestic law. Live animals os a thorny one but looks like Boris is playing for DUP to back down.
    Sorry, but how does making cross-border trade without paying tariffs a criminal act protect the Good Friday Agreement?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    A fight for the soul of the party. May common sense prevail

Accept Bill and get RA

Reinstate the mps

Seek an election for the 15th October

All on monday

And then prorogue parliament
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Keep buying the baked beans.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A different point of view to the majority on PB:

"Why Remoaners are so terrified of a General Election
    These anti-democrats fear the judgement of the people. And they’re right to fear it.

Brendan O'Neill"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/09/04/why-remoaners-are-so-terrified-of-a-general-election/
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:

- People
    - Customs
    - Live animals

whats there to back down from ?. technically the island of Ireland has always operated as one when controlling livestock, its to prevent things like foot and mouth and increasingly to protect native flora and fauna.
  • Options
    Mr. Anabozina, my words also might have more impact if I erected them in stunning rainbow lights across the Palace of Westminster.

Of course, you could engage with what I say. If you wanted to.
  • Options

a lot of truth in that

here we analyse the inside of a maggots arse. Most of it is just wasted pixels.

In the wider world there is a much simpler narrative people just arent that interested in politics/
    Just as there is an extremely simple narrative within a herd of lemmings, of course.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

eek said:

Scott_P said:

- People
    - Customs
    - Live animals

Sorry, but how does making cross-border trade without paying tariffs a criminal act protect the Good Friday Agreement?
    you know little of beef farming
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    There are a lot of remain voting conservatives who now have to come to terms with the fact that JRM has voted against his party on numerous occasions whilst DG has only ever done once. You must be a different type of conservative who his happy with this right wing take over
  • Options

AndyJS said:

This is the most likely scenario. We will all have to suck it up and then watch what happens as Johnson delivers his "easily manageable" No Deal Brexit.

Leavers are going to be tearing down the doors at the polling stations after Brexit is delayed again.There is a lot of anger out there now.
This discussion has been closed.