Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jo Johnson’s resignation will only reinforce the doubts that B

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940

Also, leaving your wife (because you were cheating on her yet again) when she's being treated for cancer.

He's a class act.
    Boris' wife was treated for cancer after their divorce, very distasteful post from you
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jo Johnson is a diehard Remainer who voted for EUref2 and did not even vote for the Withdrawal Agreement.

It is good for Boris that he is showing he will take on the diehard Remainers trying to deny the will of the people even if one is his own brother

This one is even better than some of your previous masterpieces. How can you even try and spin this as something positive, it is PR disaster for Johnson.

Boris is such a first class wanker and liar that he cannot even retain the loyalty of his brother. I wonder when Johnson senior will disown him!
    No, half the Johnson family voted Remain and it is clear Jo is a diehard Remainer who refused to accept the will of the people.

To reassure Leavers it is great news for Boris that even if it costs his brother his political career Boris will not back down from taking on the diehard Remainer traitors and Corbyn who refuse to respect the Leave vote
    May I suggest that referring to Remainers as "traitors" is inappropriate. You should take the opportunity to apologise and moderate your language, or perhaps have a cold shower.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jo Johnson is a diehard Remainer who voted for EUref2 and did not even vote for the Withdrawal Agreement.

It is good for Boris that he is showing he will take on the diehard Remainers trying to deny the will of the people even if one is his own brother

This one is even better than some of your previous masterpieces. How can you even try and spin this as something positive, it is PR disaster for Johnson.

Boris is such a first class wanker and liar that he cannot even retain the loyalty of his brother. I wonder when Johnson senior will disown him!
    No, half the Johnson family voted Remain and it is clear Jo is a diehard Remainer who refused to accept the will of the people.

To reassure Leavers it is great news for Boris that even if it costs his brother his political career Boris will not back down from taking on the diehard Remainer traitors and Corbyn who refuse to respect the Leave vote
    The only traitors here are the cnuts like you that do the bidding of the worst PM in history who is in turn doing the bidding of Vladimir Putin. be careful about bandying around words that apply far more to extremely gullible self than other people.
    No it is the likes of you showing contempt for the biggest vote in postwar history, Boris has shown frequently he is willing to take on Putin over Salisbury etc.

As Vernon Bogdanor said recently liberal elitists like you do not like losing, you clearly only accept democracy when you win, well this time you lost the vote and it will be delivered no matter what the cost
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

May I suggest that referring to Remainers as "traitors" is inappropriate. You should take the opportunity to apologise and moderate your language, or perhaps have a cold shower.
    Leave him. For all his bluster his favourite chap is not having a good day. Or week. It's got to be hard.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Also, leaving your wife (because you were cheating on her yet again) when she's being treated for cancer.

He's a class act.
    Boris' wife was treated for cancer after their divorce, very distasteful post from you
    They are not divorced.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    @HYUFD could very easily be right about all of this. Let’s see. None of us really know.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Those who betrayed the winning Leave vote despite voting for the referendum and to trigger article 50 are traitors to democracy and I will continue to describe them as such
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The only traitors here are the cnuts like you that do the bidding of the worst PM in history who is in turn doing the bidding of Vladimir Putin. be careful about bandying around words that apply far more to extremely gullible self than other people.
    No it is the likes of you showing contempt for the biggest vote in postwar history, Boris has shown frequently he is willing to take on Putin over Salisbury etc.

As Vernon Bogdanor said recently liberal elitists like you do not like losing, you clearly only accept democracy when you win, well this time you lost the vote and it will be delivered no matter what the cost
    The "etc" in that sentence is doing a lot of heavy lifting.
  • Options
    What we need to do is gauge @TheScreamingEagles ‘s mood to work out what the embargoed polls show.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He's a class act.
    They're still married. The decree absolute hasn't been granted yet. He's technically living in sin.
  • Options
    Good to know that some bits of the state are still functioning

https://twitter.com/hthjones/status/1169597761026744326?s=20
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

Gabs2 said:

If Boris gets 30-35% of the country he wins the election, which is entirely in line with the 2:1 split. The position of that third of voters is that he might be in it for himself but will still do what they want. Not wilting in front of his brother and refusing to follow the law to request an extension just helps him with those voters.

We need to separate how we want the world to work from what actually happens. I am appalled as anyone at the trashing of our civil norms but I just don't think it matters in the short term. I think Boris will get a small majority.

There is easily a situation where Johnson gets 30-35% of the vote but doesn't get a governable number of seats. All the other parties (bar BXP and NI parties) cannot be seen to prop up Conservatives, let alone Johnson. They can be seen as moderating Corbyn.
    Boris gets a Tory majority of over 40 with Hanbury today and Swinson has made clear under no circumstances whatsoever will she allow Corbyn to become PM
    One poll is not a good basis for projection. An average of polls, or even a range of potential outcomes is preferred. As I said there is easily a situation where Johnson gets 30 - 35% of the vote and doesn't get a governable number of seats. I would go so far as to say that is the likely scenario. Under FPTP we can never know what is going to happen, yet it looks clear that Scotland is going back to the SNP and the South West is likely to go back to the LDs. The big issue for Cons may be that this time the vote share is too concentrated than too spread thin; it is possible that some very Conservative areas see increases in vote share for their incumbent MP, but marginals see more tactical voting preventing a Conservative win.

Obviously it is possible Johnson can win a majority, in a way I think it is easy to say it is not for Corbyn. But I think, when push comes to shove, the country will vote in such a way that Tories cannot form a majority government, and when push comes to shove, LDs will not make the coalition mistake twice, especially now Brexit is in the mix.

EDIT: GDI messed up the blockquotes; and I'd been doing such a good job recently.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    I think a one line bill naming Oct 15 has a good chance of passing. Benn will have assent so it will be law to request the extension and as the main argument is now Boris can't be trusted then an opportunity is being presented to take him out of the equation before the EU meeting. There is no time to repeal Benn following an election even if Boris gets a majority, parliament wont be in session in time. Labour and SNP leadership want an election. If that can't pass then politics is broken.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

He's a class act.
    They're still married. The decree absolute hasn't been granted yet. He's technically living in sin.
    So Boris Johnson is not only an adulterer he's also a fornicator!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Those who betrayed the Leave vote despite voting for the referendum and to trigger article 50 are traitors to democracy and I will continue to describe them as such
    So that's all the ERG members and everyone who didn't vote for all 3 of May's voters including JRM and Boris.

It also excludes every MP who had the whipped withdrawn this week.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883

Thoughts:
    4. Why do I keep seeing parallels to the Donitz led government of May 1945? In office, with titles running paper departments, but without the power to do anything other than squabble internally and reorganise the paper clips

That is a bit harsh. Donitz was only Chancellor for 23 days. Boris has managed 43 already! I also think that the state of the country that he inherited was considerably better than Germany on 30th April 1945
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

He's a class act.
    Yes. It's also perfectly accurate to say that he cheated on his wife while she was being treated for cancer. Sorry @HYUFD . I'm sure everything else you say is 100% true though.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    I’m sitting in a pergola, just outside ‘Fabled Mycenae, rich in gold.’ The barman has closed the taverna but left me to finish my Mythos

Can anyone sum up the day in two sentences? I know about jo. Is there anything else? Any polls?!?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This election will turn on the level, or lack of tactical voting. 35% could win a healthy majority or a dismal defeat. We'll see.

Also - if we kick the brexit can down the road yet again millions won;t bother voting. This time, or ever again. And who can blame them.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

To be fair, I was ripping Jo Johnson the other day for being the only MP to vote against Mrs May's deal from the Remain side and yet back the Government on No Deal. That did make him look like the most unprincipled MP on the Tory benches. I retract that cynicism now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It highlights that Johnson gave jobs in government to "diehard Remainer traitors" and still harbours them in his Cabinet! Only this morning, Michael Gove said he still supported Theresa May's hated Versailles Treaty and Boris hasn't taken any action against him.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,518
    GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

eek said:

Gabs2 said:

eek said:

Gabs2 said:

I am not sure right wingers will feel this way. Jo Johnson knew his brother's do or die push, so his flip flopping from supporting May to resigning to supporting Boris to resigning makes him look like the untrustworthy one.

Good try but "Boris can't be trusted"
    Everyone knows that already though so it is priced in. The question is whether this will somehow make it worse.
    You think it's priced in - I really don't think it is. After 6 weeks of all parties using the phrase with multiple stories and examples things may look very different.
    Labours entire 2008 mayoral campaign was based on "you can't trust Boris" "Boris is evil" "Boris will kill your first born" etc.

When you think of some of Toynbee's anti-Boris pieces in 2008 barely anything has changed in 11 years.

Now of course, the attack lines could be more damaging for Boris in 2019 than they were in 2008 but somehow Boris has that "teflon" feel of a Blair.
    Get real! at the moment BoZo is a shit magnet.

His dog will ask to be rehomed in Battersea shortly...
    So why are polls consistently showing the Conseravtives with majority winning leads?
    Because they haven't caught up with reality yet, but they will...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

That did make him look like the most unprincipled MP on the Tory benches.

Gove retains the title?
  • Options
    As I see the main GE fight.. Lab and Con each have a (currently fairly low) core who'd walk across hot coals for their guy - say 25pc for Boris and 20pc for Corbyn, give or take. Contrast that with the 80 per cent between them at GE2017.

That leaves more than half the electorate over which they will have to scrap with the other parties.

My hunch is that more of them are Boris's for the taking, especially with some well-placed police/school/hospital spending.. but the deselections this week won't help on one side, and Farage's fate is still inextricably linked on the other.

The variable for Labour is where their Brexit policy lands (and how much credibility it carries), and how much they can communicate free owls for everyone.. or the modern equivalent.. over the stereo drone of Brexit and anti-semitism.

Boris might get a majority, possibly even a working one. Corbyn won't (and I suspect will have a problem getting others in the tent while he's still leader).
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    edited September 2019
    eristdoof said:

Thoughts:
    4. Why do I keep seeing parallels to the Donitz led government of May 1945? In office, with titles running paper departments, but without the power to do anything other than squabble internally and reorganise the paper clips

That is a bit harsh. Donitz was only Chancellor for 23 days. Boris has managed 43 already! I also think that the state of the country that he inherited was considerably better than Germany on 30th April 1945
    If we really stretch the analogy, Donitz heralded a massive period of economic expansion over the following 20 years. He did this by moving Germany away from the policies of his predecessor, who had favoured a united Europe.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

eek said:

Gabs2 said:

eek said:

Gabs2 said:

I am not sure right wingers will feel this way. Jo Johnson knew his brother's do or die push, so his flip flopping from supporting May to resigning to supporting Boris to resigning makes him look like the untrustworthy one.

Everyone knows that already though so it is priced in. The question is whether this will somehow make it worse.
    You think it's priced in - I really don't think it is. After 6 weeks of all parties using the phrase with multiple stories and examples things may look very different.
    Labours entire 2008 mayoral campaign was based on "you can't trust Boris" "Boris is evil" "Boris will kill your first born" etc.

When you think of some of Toynbee's anti-Boris pieces in 2008 barely anything has changed in 11 years.

Now of course, the attack lines could be more damaging for Boris in 2019 than they were in 2008 but somehow Boris has that "teflon" feel of a Blair.

So why are polls consistently showing the Conseravtives with majority winning leads?
    You may be surprised if you think this week's pile on won't energize Boris-leaning voters in a major way.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,095
    Byronic said:

I’m sitting in a pergola, just outside ‘Fabled Mycenae, rich in gold.’ The barman has closed the taverna but left me to finish my Mythos

Can anyone sum up the day in two sentences? I know about jo. Is there anything else? Any polls?!?

Well there's my polling here in Hampstead.

People not too impressed with Johnson's shenanigans.

Sorry that was 3 sentences. 4 now.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    edited September 2019
    Apologies if someone else has already noted that Jo's departure has to be an almost unique case of a Minister resigning to spend less time with his family.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Those who betrayed the Leave vote despite voting for the referendum and to trigger article 50 are traitors to democracy and I will continue to describe them as such
    How do you define betraying the Leave vote? Voting against May's deal (like the current PM, twice)? Voting to rule out a no deal Brexit (that was never on the ballot paper)? What, exactly, do you mean?

"Traitor to democracy"? That (a) has no meaning and (b) isn't what you said.

Seriously, don't call people traitors. It's language like this that creates the breeding ground for violent extremism, which has already claimed the life of an MP.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    JohnO said:

Apologies if someone else has also noted that Jo's departure has to be an almost unique case of a Minister resigning to spend less time with his family.

fewer...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

That Boris is a rascal. ;)
    I suspect female voters - already less keen on BREXIT than male may reach a less forgiving conclusion. While we’ve had promiscuous philanderers as PM before, have we had one with such a “colourful” private life in the age of female emancipation or tabloid journalism?
    This is another reason why "you can't trust Boris" is such a powerful rallying call for his opponents. He is fundamentally an untrustworthy liar, both politically and personally.

My wife, who is not very interested in politics and thought Theresa May was doing her best against the odds, thinks he is a disgusting individual unfit to be PM, not because of Brexit but because of his attitude to women. I am sure she is not alone in taking this view.

Most posters on here are men I think - if there were more women we would hear more of that aspect of Johnson's character. It will be a factor in the election, perhaps a decisive one.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,518
    blueblue said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

eek said:

Gabs2 said:

eek said:

Gabs2 said:

You may be surprised if you think this week's pile on won't energize Boris-leaning voters in a major way.
    I expect there will be some deluded and some bullied and bribed. Others sympathetic to someone having the shit kicked out of him...

It will take a week or two to percolate through to the polls.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Those who betrayed the winning Leave vote despite voting for the referendum and to trigger article 50 are traitors to democracy and I will continue to describe them as such
    Please do so. Its almost as funny as the Leader of the House lounging disrespectfully across the Treasury Bench.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Byronic said:

Well there's my polling here in Hampstead.

People not too impressed with Johnson's shenanigans.

Sorry that was 3 sentences. 4 now.
    Metropolitan liberal elite scum!!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2019

GIN1138 said:

I suspect female voters - already less keen on BREXIT than male may reach a less forgiving conclusion. While we’ve had promiscuous philanderers as PM before, have we had one with such a “colourful” private life in the age of female emancipation or tabloid journalism?
    This is another reason why "you can't trust Boris" is such a powerful rallying call for his opponents. He is fundamentally an untrustworthy liar, both politically and personally.

My wife, who is not very interested in politics and thought Theresa May was doing her best against the odds, thinks he is a disgusting individual unfit to be PM, not because of Brexit but because of his attitude to women. I am sure she is not alone in taking this view.

Most posters on here are men I think - if there were more women we would hear more of that aspect of Johnson's character. It will be a factor in the election, perhaps a decisive one.
    And yet he’s got a very hefty poll bounce.

Most people find it quite easy, these days, to separate the politician from the person. They don’t care if you shag mewling blind hamsters at 4am, as long as you get the job done.

Boris, who is clearly a shit, looks like he wants to get the job done, and has the mojo to do it. Theresa, who was so fundamentally decent she thought running in wheat fields was outrageous, was a shit politician who got nothing done, so the voters decided not to give her a majority, even against Corbyn.

Let’s wait for the post-Surrender Act polls. You may be disappointed
  • Options
    Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Most people find it quite easy, these days, to separate the politician from the person. They don’t care if you shag mewling blind hamsters at 4am, as long as you get the job done.

Boris, who is clearly a shit, looks like he wants to get the job done, and has the mojo to do it. Theresa, who was so fundamentally decent she thought running in wheat fields was outrageous, was a shit politician who got nothing done, so the voters decided not to give her a majority, even against Corbyn.

The genius of the FTPA is that the better the polls are for him, the less likely he is to get an election.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

This election will turn on the level, or lack of tactical voting. 35% could win a healthy majority or a dismal defeat. We'll see.

Also - if we kick the brexit can down the road yet again millions won;t bother voting. This time, or ever again. And who can blame them.
    If we allow no-deal to pass then we might as well kick our economy and our flawed system of democracy down the road, both of which will become, just like the advocates of Brexit, vacuous basketcases
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

Supplementary polling questions on Brexit also great for Boris.

Voters oppose further extension with both the latest Yougov and Survation polls and 52% of voters back Boris plan for the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop with Survation too

Of course people back the Withdrawal agreement and no back stop. It is not an option though.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

The genius of the FTPA is that the better the polls are for him, the less likely he is to get an election.
    Yes. Ironic.

There is a very good chance Boris will have to resign in October, if the alternative is asking fir an extension. I can’t see him doing that. He will let Corbyn or Clark do it
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619
    @rcs1000
    You know that
    Byronic said:

Boris has lost every single battle except for the important one.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Please do so. Its almost as funny as the Leader of the House lounging disrespectfully across the Treasury Bench.
    I think I will have to continue to describe HYUFD as a thick cnut who does the bidding of Putin. What a twat! What a joke!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Despite being of the Nabavi/Herdson/TSE/Scrapheap/Casino persuasion (albeit not resigning Tory membership), I strongly suspect that you and HYUFD are closer to calling the electoral impact correctly than 80% of the other regular posters here.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    Wow. More people agree with that than Brexit? Can't be right.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How do you define betraying the Leave vote? Voting against May's deal (like the current PM, twice)? Voting to rule out a no deal Brexit (that was never on the ballot paper)? What, exactly, do you mean?

Seriously, don't call people traitors. It's language like this that creates the breeding ground for violent extremism, which has already claimed the life of an MP.
    You have to understand that HYUFD like so many of the leave chanters don't know what "leave" and "European Union" mean. The May deal to leave the EU was wrong because it meant we didn't leave I keep being told. Except that we WOULD leave the EU. So they simply don't know what "EU" actually is - apparently it now includes all kinds of non-EU things like the EEA which is 100% legally organisationally or rationally the EU.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    Gabs2 said:

It’s possible that Boris made promises about being serious about going for a deal and Jo has now realised that he was being played.

I also wonder how much the expulsion of the 21 has changed matters. It is such a vindictive act.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Bill Clinton, Trump, Berlusconi all adulterers, all hugely charismatic, all won.

Indeed even now Boris does better with men than women
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Voting against the Withdrawal Agreement and voting for extension over No Deal by definition makes you a traitor to democracy and the Leave vote
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Supplementary polling questions on Brexit also great for Boris.

Voters oppose further extension with both the latest Yougov and Survation polls and 52% of voters back Boris plan for the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop with Survation too

Of course people back the Withdrawal agreement and no back stop. It is not an option though.
    Most people don’t know what either are in any detail
  • Options

dixiedean said:

If we allow no-deal to pass then we might as well kick our economy and our flawed system of democracy down the road, both of which will become, just like the advocates of Brexit, vacuous basketcases
    I am not as pessimistic about no deal as you, but even if i was, it doesn't change the fact that many, many people won't bother voting again if the vote in the referendum is not implemented as promised.
  • Options
    So the 52% Leave voting majority now united behind Boris
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Voting against the Withdrawal Agreement and voting for extension over No Deal by definition makes you a traitor to democracy and the Leave vote
    What definition is that?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Despite being of the Nabavi/Herdson/TSE/Scrapheap/Casino persuasion (albeit not resigning Tory membership), I strongly suspect that you and HYUFD are closer to calling the electoral impact correctly than 80% of the other regular posters here.
    Boris will get sympathy, and maybe a patriotic slap on the back, from voters

I think, more importantly, PBers are underestimating the anger out there: aimed at ALL politicians. So they don’t want Boris and they don’t want No Deal, what do they want? How are they gonna end this, if not the boris way?!

This anger, already unprecedented, will probably get worse if Labour, et al, successfully force an extension, as seems likely.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Fear of a no deal Brexit is right up there with the other wacko doomsday cult religions like End of Days climate change, anti-vac and veganism.

Trouble with fervent faith is the desire to eliminate all non believers from the face of the earth - most selfish.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Gabs2 said:

It’s possible that Boris made promises about being serious about going for a deal and Jo has now realised that he was being played.

I also wonder how much the expulsion of the 21 has changed matters. It is such a vindictive act.
    It is in no way a vindictive act. It is absolutely vital if one wants to secure Brexit. What would be the point of Boris securing a majority and then finding that some of those elected on his manifesto of leaving the EU no matter what, were unwilling to back that once they had won their seats. We would be right back where we are now

Part of the reason we are in this mess now is because MPs have lied about their intentions so as to get elected. Who in their right mind would want the Government to be right back in the same position again after an election?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So the 52% Leave voting majority now united behind Boris
    Maybe they do. The irony is that if you want a general election to happen you have to hope you are wrong. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. Politicians only seek to trigger an election if it suits them and, if you are right, it won't suit the majority of Parliament if this weekend's polls bear your thesis out.
  • Options
    The next time JRM is interviewed he’s going to be asked to repeat that slander without the benefit of Parliamentary privilege.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,896
    DougSeal said:

Just picked up this news. No doubt HYUFD will say it is a master stroke form the Boris family, and is actually designed to ensure Boris will achieve the landslide that his total brilliance deserves

I'm relatively new here, am I correct in saying that @HYUFD is a member of the Conservative Party?
    Yes. He’s the one who consistently said (and was consistently ridiculed for saying) Boris would win the leadership contest, while everyone else advised laying him at 5/1 and bigger.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris voted against the Withdrawal Agreement twice.
    The referendum didn't mention No Deal, we've never been offered a democratic vote on it.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The referendum didn't mention No Deal, we've never been offered a democratic vote on it.
    The referendum didn’t mention a lot of things.

Let me know when it has been enacted.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Gabs2 said:

Please explain how it is vindictive? They were told the consequences, told it was a confidence motion and made their choice.

Are all confidence motions vindictive?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If you vote against the only available Deal and against No Deal then by basic elimination you have to be voting against Leave altogether. After all we keep being told there is no alternative Deal available.
  • Options

Please explain how it is vindictive? They were told the consequences, told it was a confidence motion and made their choice.

Kind of a weird confidence motion because the Prime Minister lost it but didn't resign, he's literally still there being Prime Minister.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

The next time JRM is interviewed he’s going to be asked to repeat that slander without the benefit of Parliamentary privilege.
    It's not slander. If he thinks he is that irresponsible it's his factual opinion of the man. A worse striker than John Fashanu is not a slander.
    It's a stupid and misguided opinion though
  • Options
    Off-topic:

You would expect the chatter at the school gates on the first couple of days back after the summer hols to be the annual who-had-the-grandest-holiday borefest.

Instead, there was a fair amount of frustration - bordering on anger - about the school funding recently announced by the government. According to a local website, two of the four primary schools in our village are getting increased funding - potentially £446 and £393 per pupil - whilst apparently the other two get nothing.

Annoyingly, this includes the school my son attends.

I daresay there is a very strict formula for how the new funding is allocated, and the new funding might offset existing imbalances (I cannot find the figures atm (*)). But four schools within a mile or so of each other being treated so differently has annoyed a few people.

(*) If anyone can point me towards such figures for spending per pupil per school, I'd be grateful.
  • Options
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    If you are prepared to conspire to have a reporter beaten up.
    Having your brother resign is small beer.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,289
    edited September 2019
    ZAP!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Gabs2 said:

Calling a motion a "confidence" motion in the full knowledge that it, for you, will have none of the traditional adverse consequences of such a motion if you lose, but it will for those who don't follow the whip, is indeed vindictive. Or perhaps cowardly is a better word. It's a heads I win, tails you lose situation. Had this happened in 2010 there would have been a resignation or an election. But there's no resignation, there is no election, and yet they had the whip removed anyway. That's vindicitive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, it doesn’t. For someone who claims to be so keen on democracy you seem to lack the most basic understanding of it. The concept of opposition is integral to it. It is inherent in any democracy that anyone is entitled to disagree with the verdict of the majority and seek to change it. Opposition and disagreement are legitimate, indeed necessary. They do not make you a traitor.

You keep on repeating this. It is wrong. It is tiresome. It is offensive. And it diminishes you.

Your mindset is, I’m afraid to say, not that of a democrat but more akin to those who think there can only be one legitimate way of thinking about a policy. Countries that operate like this tend to be found in the Middle East and similar places. If you want to understand what is really needed for a country to be democratic, read this - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/07/21/cultivating-democracy/. You might even learn something.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ludicrous!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Most people find it quite easy, these days, to separate the politician from the person. They don’t care Corbyn.

I think, more importantly, PBers are underestimating the anger out there: aimed at ALL politicians. So they don’t want Boris and they don’t want No Deal, what do they want? How are they gonna end this, if not the boris way?!

This anger, already unprecedented, will probably get worse if Labour, et al, successfully force an extension, as seems likely.
    People want a leader who says he’s going to do something simple and understandable then does it. People on here are fans of wordy, lawyerly prose because it’s clever clever. The public despise it.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

DougSeal said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes. Ironic.

There is a very good chance Boris will have to resign in October, if the alternative is asking fir an extension. I can’t see him doing that. He will let Corbyn or Clark do it
    (..fetches popcorn..)

The best bit is, that (a) having made such a fuss about "do or die" and (b) given the sub-optimal attention to detail among most voters, Boris would actually get a fair chunk of the blame for not delivering Brexit.. especially if a certain insurgent with a tweed jacket and a pint in his hand is saying so every hour on the news.
  • Options
    Jo Johnson has confirmed to Tom Newton Dunn he is 100% behind Boris one nation domestic agenda, but his resignation is all about Brexit. He says domestic one nation conservatism is 'what Boris is good at'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To oppose a majority opinion is not traitorous. If you believe so you are no democrat.
  • Options

It's not slander. If he thinks he is that irresponsible it's his factual opinion of the man. A worse striker than John Fashanu is not a slander.
    Wakefield is discredited, struck off for unethical behaviour, misconduct and dishonesty and authoring fraudulent research. Let’s see if JRM repeats his remarks outside the house.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"TraitoP.
    Voting against the Withdrtraitor to democracy and the Leave vote
    No, it doesn’t. For someone who claims to be so keen on democracy you seem to lack the most basic understanding of it. The concept of opposition is integral to it. It is inherent in any democracy that anyone is entitled to disagree with the verdict of the majority and seek to change it. Opposition and disagreement are legitimate, indeed necessary. They do not make you a traitor.

You keep on repeating this. It is wrong. It is tiresome. It is offensive. And it diminishes you.

Your mindset is, I’m afraid to say, not that of a democrat but more akin to those who think there can only be one legitimate way of thinking about a policy. Countries that operate like this tend to be found in the Middle East and similar places. If you want to understand what is really needed for a country to be democratic, read this - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/07/21/cultivating-democracy/. You might even learn something.
    You are entitled to fight for your beliefs in an election or referendum campaign, you can even try and reverse the result in a subsequent election or referendum, what you are NOT entitled to do and the reason why so many Leavers (and even a few Remainers) are so angry now is refuse to implement the result of that election or referendum in the first place because you don't like it.

That is the way democracy dies
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Totally agree.
  • Options
    isam said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Most people find it quite easy, these days, to separate the politician from the person. They don’t care Corbyn.

People want a leader who says he’s going to do something simple and understandable then does it. People on here are fans of wordy, lawyerly prose because it’s clever clever. The public despise it.
    That's is a remarkably patronising and elitist view of the electorate.
  • Options
    isam said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

Build the wall, lock her up, no obstruction no collusion, witch hunt
    Trump plays purely on these simple messages
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Where are you seeing all this 'anger' out of interest? I don't think I live a sheltered life, yet I haven't met a single human being since the vote whom I could describe as 'angry' about Brexit - at worst there might be a kind of eye-rolling, bewildered annoyance.
  • Options

ZAP!!!!!!!!!

Pardon me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"TraitoP.

You are entitled to fight for your beliefs in an election or referendum campaign, you can even try and reverse the result in a subsequent election or referendum, what you are NOT entitled to do and the reason why so many Leavers (and even a few Remainers) are so angry now is refuse to implement the result of that election or referendum in the first place because you don't like it.

Democracy dies when self appointed London elitists like you seek to imply a result into the 2016 referendum that was not there.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Bill Clinton, Trump, Berlusconi all adulterers, all hugely charismatic, all won.

Indeed even now Boris does better with men than women
    So what does that say for Boris who is an adulterer and hugely uncharismatic?
  • Options

Wakefield is discredited, struck off for unethical behaviour, misconduct and dishonesty and authoring fraudulent research. Let’s see if JRM repeats his remarks outside the house.
    So he thinks he is very irresponsible. Where is the slander? He did not say he was more unethical, worse in conduct or fraudulent.
    I agree hes talking shit but it's not slander.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

isam said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

That's is a remarkably patronising and elitist view of the electorate.
    No it’s the truth.

Nice try at turning the tables, unlucky.
  • Options

If made outside Parliament I have little doubt that such a statement would be deemed libellous.

He is attacking the doctor’s integrity and competence by comparing him to Wakefield and unless he can justify those statements it is a libel and a pretty serious one, too.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

He's a class act.
    Can one be an adulterer without being a fornicator?

Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"TraitoP.

In your opinion.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    edited September 2019

Byronic said:

Where are you seeing all this 'anger' out of interest? I don't think I live a sheltered life, yet I haven't met a single human being since the vote whom I could describe as 'angry' about Brexit - at worst there might be a kind of eye-rolling, bewildered annoyance.
    I think it depends on the circles you live in. I don't mean that in an insulting way. We all move in different circles and have different experiences. So amongst those I work with - who tend to have a fairly high number of consultants and people with their own businesses - Brexit is more popular than average and hence anything seen to be stopping it is a topic of conversation.
  • Options

I'd agree with you if Wakefield was merely a dick who people disagreed with. But as his reputation was so authoritatively trashed by scientists and regulators, comparing others negatively to him is a risky business.
  • Options

isam said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

This is another reason why "you can't trust.

Build the wall, lock her up, no obstruction no collusion, witch hunt
    Trump plays purely on these simple messages
    Yes, seems obvious to me that’s what Boris is trying to do. His PMQ answers were just simple sound bites that often had nothing at all to do with the question.
  • Options
    isam said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

GIN1138 said:

While being careful about the impact of opinion polls and accompanying hyperbole, I do believe those published this weekend are very important one way or the other. For example, what if they collectively show the Tories actually losing ground, will the Government be as eager for that mid October election? My own hunch is the lead will stay the same or go higher which generates its own huge political pressures ahead of Monday's fateful vote.
  • Options

Kind of a weird confidence motion because the Prime Minister lost it but didn't resign, he's literally still there being Prime Minister.
    Blame the FTPA. He tabled an election motion under the FTPA and Parliament chose to reject it.

It's a post FTPA confidence motion.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How can you even try and spin this as something positive, it is PR disaster for Johnson.

If you vote against the only available Deal and against No Deal then by basic elimination you have to be voting against Leave altogether. After all we keep being told there is no alternative Deal available.
    But there are other options available if we change our red lines. 5/6 MPs have voted for either a customs union brexit or Mays deal. The blame cannot lie with individual MPs on that basis, if collectively they have been gridlocked, it is the party leaderships who are to blame.
This discussion has been closed.