Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jo Johnson’s resignation will only reinforce the doubts that B

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Scott_P said:

The story is hardly surprising. That it’s in the Telegraph is.
    Not if it's leaked by Boris..
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

This should be the death knell for an October election - no one is voting for it until an extension actually takes effect (not just the bill becoming law)

Cummings is leaving at the end of October (he’s delayed surgery to get Brexit done).....
    Ah. I’d suggest he gets the surgery done.
    Wonder if he'll consult JRM about which surgeon is competent?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:
    I think that's smart tactics from No 10, the Benn bill will have RA by that point so Corbyn (Not Starmer !) objection last time round is fulfilled.
    If Johnson doesn't get the 434 votes, he either goes long, resigns or awaits a VONC from Corbyn.
    He will say he said (meant) the extension secured and he can’t trust the PM to do it until the 17th October EU council meeting.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Re the Opposition fear that Boris wont follow the law, if they truly believe that that must VONC Monday knowing he will lose and be removed and be unable to break the law

There's a legitimate problem that there are also potential shenanigans regarding getting a replacement in place and/or scheduling an election, which is a process that his team has previously suggested they will abuse.
    So long as he is PM he's subject to the law of the land election period or not.
    The PM has some discretion in both advising The Queen who can form a majority and setting an election date, and his supporters have at various times suggested he'll abuse both of these.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    If no GE called before prorogation, Parliament returns on Mon 14 Oct but quite likely GE would not be called until after EU Meeting at end of week so that takes it to Mon 21 Oct.

If GE Motion passed on Mon 21 Oct, likely date would be 5 weeks from Thur 24 Oct, ie Thur 28 Nov.

This takes it very close to December - and worth noting a December GE has shortened a lot on Betfair in last couple of hours.

Also, I wonder if late Nov / early Dec is better for Boris than early Nov - if he has to extend it's better if there is some time for the embarrassment etc to settle down. It would be better for him than having to extend mid campaign.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Scott_P said:
    Rentoul seems a bit over-excited this afternoon?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,989
    Some small relief. Paine is out. First ball after tea.
  • Options
    Wasn't the PM supposed to speaking unto the nation this afternoon?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Rentoul seems a bit over-excited this afternoon?
    How does / could Boris resign?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Latest:

Oct - 2.52 / 2.58
    Nov - 3.05 / 3.7
    Dec - 4.0 / 5.9
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Also - if on 21 Oct Boris then votes against a GE and forces Corbyn to go VONC route then GE can't happen until 12 Dec!

By then another Benn Bill will be needed to force Govt to extend beyond 31 Jan if No Deal!

Could 2020 still be a winner?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    MikeL said:

If no GE called before prorogation, Parliament returns on Mon 14 Oct but quite likely GE would not be called until after EU Meeting at end of week so that takes it to Mon 21 Oct.

If GE Motion passed on Mon 21 Oct, likely date would be 5 weeks from Thur 24 Oct, ie Thur 28 Nov.

This takes it very close to December - and worth noting a December GE has shortened a lot on Betfair in last couple of hours.

Also, I wonder if late Nov / early Dec is better for Boris than early Nov - if he has to extend it's better if there is some time for the embarrassment etc to settle down. It would be better for him than having to extend mid campaign.

If we go into Dcember then everyone will then start saying the nights are too dark and the weather too bad for an election and best to wait until next Spring.

My guess is that if this doesn't happen by the end of October it won't happen for the next six months more more.

Remember the Labour Party is absolutely terrified and panic stricken at the prospect of facing the electorate and they'll look for any trick in the book not to have an election.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    Those documents all support the Gvt defence and rather suggest they were doing as they said they were....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    I find it hard to believe the rebels would have voted for against the Benn bill had it not been for prorogation.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,894

Dadge said:

Dadge said:

Dadge said:

Why doesn't Opposition vonc Boris now, take over govt, stop prorogation (why are we still proroguing anyway?), delay Brexit, and call GE on its terms?

Corbyn wont get the confidence of the house, hes terrified of being marginalized by a caretaker and Boris taking over as LOTO
    Ken Clarke as caretaker leader seems a good answer to your objections.
    And who will be in his cabinet? What programme of government will he be following? Boris will be LOTO, what is Corbyns position? Blackford loses his 3 questions, they go to Corbyn. Will HMQ appoint a leader just to pass am extension and call an election?
    Not HMQ's business. As far as the rest of the questions are concerned, they're all capable of being dealt with.
    As HMQ has to appoint him very much her business. Remember after 2010 election she needed assurances of the stability of the proposed government, she would need some idea of what is being proposed to appoint someone with no party as PM on the nod of a divided parliament. There are constitutional issues here.
    This is not true. Gordon Brown said "I am not going to be PM any more" and reccomended to the Queen Cameron as next PM.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928
    RobD said:

I find it hard to believe the rebels would have voted for against the Benn bill had it not been for prorogation.
    It's smoked them out I reckon. Johnson didn't get Cummings in to stroke MPs egos, he got him in to win.
  • Options
    The critical question here - not fully answered as yet - is what _precisely_ happens, if Boris stays on as PM until October 19 and refuses to ask for an extension.

Has he committed a criminal offence? What sanction does it carry? Can he be rapidly removed from Parliament / office? What _exactly_ prevents him from hanging on until Oct 31 in those circumstances?
  • Options
    There hasn't been a November election since 1935.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Scott_P said:
    Can I make the ‘all part of the plan’ joke again?
  • Options
    Really starting to wonder if Boris has a number of wagers on himself as shortest serving PM with all the bookies, and this is just an elaborate ruse.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    eristdoof said:

Dadge said:

Dadge said:

Dadge said:

Why doesn't Opposition vonc Boris now, take over govt, stop prorogation (why are we still proroguing anyway?), delay Brexit, and call GE on its terms?

Corbyn wont get the confidence of the house, hes terrified of being marginalized by a caretaker and Boris taking over as LOTO
    Ken Clarke as caretaker leader seems a good answer to your objections.
    And who will be in his cabinet? What programme of government will he be following? Boris will be LOTO, what is Corbyns position? Blackford loses his 3 questions, they go to Corbyn. Will HMQ appoint a leader just to pass am extension and call an election?
    Not HMQ's business. As far as the rest of the questions are concerned, they're all capable of being dealt with.
    As HMQ has to appoint him very much her business. Remember after 2010 election she needed assurances of the stability of the proposed government, she would need some idea of what is being proposed to appoint someone with no party as PM on the nod of a divided parliament. There are constitutional issues here.
    This is not true. Gordon Brown said "I am not going to be PM any more" and reccomended to the Queen Cameron as next PM.
    After a stable coalition agreement had been sorted. The talk of assurances etc was during that chaos after the result, the same chaos we will have after a VONC
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Those documents all support the Gvt defence and rather suggest they were doing as they said they were....

or that they were created to ensure it looked like they were doing what they said they did.
  • Options
    Have we established the sleeping arrangements at Balmoral for Mr Johnson and Miss Symonds?
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Those documents look like they've played a pretty straight bat.
  • Options
    eek said:

ab195 said:

or that they were created to ensure it looked like they were doing what they said they did.
    I dont think the judge is going to make that determination
  • Options
    eek said:

ab195 said:

Conspiracy theorists will say anything.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Latest:

Oct - 2.52 / 2.58
    Nov - 3.05 / 3.7
    Dec - 4.0 / 5.9

I got on Dec at 14.0 this morning.

But my main play is laying this year.
  • Options

If nobody clearly has confidence then the law is we have an election to sort it out. Let the several others either demonstrate a majority or agree to an election.

Is the PM taking soundings to determine who may command a majority? Because that's what his job is, if he really thinks he's lost a confidence vote.

Of course he doesn't really think he's lost a confidence vote, it's just a powerplay.
    No its not, it is to have an election. Parliament chose to reject an election AND to reject a formal VoNC so I think its fair to say Parliament has given him confidence back.
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    eek said:

ab195 said:

A court can’t decide that’s true with no evidence, just because you’d like it to be.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    eek said:

ab195 said:

It makes the petitioner's case very weak.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

Have we established the sleeping arrangements at Balmoral for Mr Johnson and Miss Symonds?
    In the doghouse?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

If we go into Dcember then everyone will then start saying the nights are too dark and the weather too bad for an election and best to wait until next Spring.

My guess is that if this doesn't happen by the end of October it won't happen for the next six months more more.

Remember the Labour Party is absolutely terrified and panic stricken at the prospect of facing the electorate and they'll look for any trick in the book not to have an election.
    And that's why I still think Nicola will go for it in mid October.

She won't want a general election being put off into next year and having it around or after the Salmond case. It's in the SNPs interests to have it in October - They'd be mad to let Labour keep putting it off and putting it off into next year.
  • Options
    Totally O/T, but TSE might be able to confirm.
    Reported on BBC that an Australian cricket journalist was charged £55,000 for a bottle of beer!

Peter Lalor ordered the £5.50 Deuchers IPA at Manchester's Malmaison hotel before being stunned to discover he had been charged $99,983.64 (£55,315.12).

It's being put right apparently , but .......
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

It's smoked them out I reckon. Johnson didn't get Cummings in to stroke MPs egos, he got him in to win.
    How’s that going for him then?

He’s ripped the heart out of the Conservative Party in pursuit of a pure ideology.

Long-standing members won’t have it, and we haven’t seen the end of it.

I’m furious.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It was very odd that she joined his Cabinet in the first place.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Am i being stupid, but whats stopping labour saying no again? Given the bill that basically says Boris MUST call an exention then he'd be forced to resign by his own words.

That is exactly the plan
    Thats what i thought.

But what happens then?? Who the f-knows. corbyn gets to be PM I guess?
    Who knows.
    Maybe Corbyn gets first try and fails (Swinson against). Then maybe Ken Clarke?
    There's no such thing as "first try" as Brown showed in 2010. Either someone else can command Parliament, in which case they become PM, or nobody can in which case we need an election. Otherwise until then the existing PM remains in situ until there is either a clear alternative or an election that generates a clear alternative [and if the election is inconclusive the PM remains until a conclusion is reached].
  • Options
    ab195 said:

eek said:

ab195 said:

A court can’t decide that’s true with no evidence, just because you’d like it to be.
    I was being snarky although others who should know more have hinted to similar on twitter.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Who is this guy though? I know Heidi Allen retweeted it but where is he getting his rumours? If the press pack start tweeting it then more interesting
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I've always thought she was there as a 'lone' remainer to try to speak reason, but I could understand if shes had enough.

Really what will be left of the Tories after this? There's so much talent which was gone, not from the government but from the party...

someone needs to reforge these people into something else.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,969
    kinabalu said:

Do you really think the public are that stupid? Saddening if you are right.

I'm not a big fan of the public but I would baulk at stupid.

I'd more say shallow, intellectually lazy, and apolitical.

Thus prone to be attracted to 'simple' and 'entertaining' over something more challenging.

Johnson could benefit big time from this. I think he probably will.
    show them something shiny or sparkly and you have them
  • Options
    edited September 2019

MikeL said:

Latest:

Oct - 2.52 / 2.58
    Nov - 3.05 / 3.7
    Dec - 4.0 / 5.9

I got on Dec at 14.0 this morning.

But my main play is laying this year.
    Really can't see a December election.

Weather's terrible. Is dark by 4pm. Most people are more concerned about Christmas and New Year.

December, January and February are all out, IMO.

November is very tricky too really.

I think it either happens in October or it's off until April/May and what the hell happens in the six months between October and April is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,764

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    I've always thought she was there as a 'lone' remainer to try to speak reason, but I could understand if shes had enough.

Really what will be left of the Tories after this? There's so much talent which was gone, not from the government but from the party...

It's difficult to forge sh[that's enough rude words - Ed]
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Are they not moving over to the Liberal Democrats, in dribs and drabs, of course?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Who is this guy though? I know Heidi Allen retweeted it but where is he getting his rumours? If the press pack start tweeting it then more interesting

Yeah, not seeing it anywhere else at the moment
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984

So far the Battle of Ipsus has developed in a way not necessarily to the Prime Minister's advantage.

Eh? But the PB Tory Trumptons assured us it was all part of a master plan.
  • Options
    O/T but just saw first Christmas stockings for sale in my local Asda
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    There used to be an advert for something of other that featured a mediaeval castle, where one man with a sword was fighting off a horde of warriors armed with pikes.

Sounds a bit like Mr B Johnson.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Yeah, not seeing it anywhere else at the moment
    If hes getting rumours I'd have thought the journos would have had the tip, especially as he claims multiple sources! Could be though, more likely she will not stand again given her majority and simply fade away
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

O/T but just saw first Christmas stockings for sale in my local Asda

By George, Nanny’s been to Asda

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Sounds positive. Strike out the backstop, don't replace it and we can avoid no deal.
  • Options
    The odious clown might as well go for drinks with queenie pops.

It’s not as if he’s helping out down here.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Can I make the ‘all part of the plan’ joke again?

It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Options
    So, another quiet day then?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Rudd should never have been in.

Another barnacle off the boat.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Since when did you lose your own mind and become a YTS copywriter for the Tory Press Office?
  • Options

So, another quiet day then?

A wrecking ball is probably the only chance Brexit has of getting consent from the MPs elected to implement it
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

The Rudder snaps
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited September 2019
    TGOHF said:

[the titanic]

[rudderless]
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), Boris Johnson isn't clearing barnacles so much as tearing out futtocks.

I'm not persuaded by those who think this works electorally. I don't think anti-EU voters are as prone to tactical voting as pro-EU voters, and I do think the PM's at serious risk of chasing off floating voters.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

[the titanic]

[rudderless]
    👍the jokes write themselves.

• Options
    For goodness sake Boris - resign
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,002
    edited September 2019
    Of the Brexit outcomes British voters think are still realistically possible, a plurality of 21% now prefer No Deal YouGov finds today.

Tied second are leaving the EU on a renegotiated Deal as Boris wants and Remaining in the EU after all on 19% each.

12% back a soft Brexit staying in the single market and customs union, 10% back EUref2 and just 5% back the date of Brexit being delayed past 31st October and 2% back May's existing Brexit Deal.

Leave voters split 41% for No Deal, 31% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal and 9% for soft Brexit. Remain voters split 38% for Remain, 18% for EUref2 and 14% for soft Brexit.

Tory voters split 42% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal, 35% for No Deal and 8% for soft Brexit, Labour voters split 35% for Remain, 18% for EUref2 and 15% for soft Brexit, LD voters split 42% for Remain, 16% for EUref2 and 14% for soft Brexit and Brexit Party voters split 59% for No Deal, 30% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal and 5% for soft Brexit.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/09/05/what-do-public-think-can-still-realistically-happe
  • Options

Mr. Flashman (deceased), Boris Johnson isn't clearing barnacles so much as tearing out futtocks.

I'm not persuaded by those who think this works electorally. I don't think anti-EU voters are as prone to tactical voting as pro-EU voters, and I do think the PM's at serious risk of chasing off floating voters.

Two boat wordplays in one - bravo 👏

(Although the latter one might not have been intentional?)
  • Options

Are you still on holiday with Mrs G?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Is Erdogan on Farages pay roll ?

Just in time for GE or EUref2 he threatens to flood the EU with migrants.

https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/article199750678/Tuerkischer-Praesident-Erdogan-droht-Migranten-nach-Europa-zu-lassen.html
  • Options
    The whip removal was I think the big error, without that hed almost certainly have got a one line bill for a GE through, mann is already calling for Corbyn to 'go early' and Hoey and a couple others (elphicke, hermon etc) could have been bought off
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Rory’s local rag endorses him regardless.

https://twitter.com/newsandstar/status/1169622463057035265?s=21
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Of the Brexit outcomes British voters think are still realistically possible, a plurality of 21% now prefer No Deal YouGov finds today.

Tied second are leaving the EU on a renegotiated Deal as Boris wants and Remaining in the EU after all on 19% each.

12% back a soft Brexit staying in the single market and customs union, 10% back EUref2 and just 5% back the date of Brexit being delayed past 31st October and 2% back May's existing Brexit Deal.

Leave voters split 41% for No Deal, 31% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal and 9% for soft Brexit. Remain voters split 38% for Remain, 18% for EUref2 and 14% for soft Brexit.

Tory voters split 42% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal, 35% for No Deal and 8% for soft Brexit, Labour voters split 35% for Remain, 18% for EUref2 and 15% for soft Brexit, LD voters split 42% for Remain, 16% for EUref2 and 14% for soft Brexit and Brexit Party voters split 59% for No Deal, 30% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal and 5% for soft Brexit.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/09/05/what-do-public-think-can-still-realistically-happe

He is an utter disaster and has to go

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

HYUFD said:

will you be reoining if he does ?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Did someone say they'd seen Christmas stockings for sale? I've just had an advert pop up for Asda's Easter deliveries.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294
    edited September 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Are you still on holiday with Mrs G?
    Not gone yet Gin - leave week on saturday
  • Options

HYUFD said:

79% oppose No Deal.

I dare say most of the 21% that support it haven’t the faintest idea what it entails.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,537

Scott_P said:

Am i being stupid, but whats stopping labour saying no again? Given the bill that basically says Boris MUST call an exention then he'd be forced to resign by his own words.

That is exactly the plan
    Thats what i thought.

Who knows.
    There's no such thing as "first try" as Brown showed in 2010. Either someone else can command Parliament, in which case they become PM, or nobody can in which case we need an election. Otherwise until then the existing PM remains in situ until there is either a clear alternative or an election that generates a clear alternative [and if the election is inconclusive the PM remains until a conclusion is reached].
    True, but what that leaves unaddressed is the situation - not now impossible - in which the PM resigns - perhaps the only way of fulfilling his promise of not asking for an extension - but does not name a successor to HM the Queen because there isn't one in his opinion that could command a majority - just as he can't.

(While parliament perhaps declines to VONC a non existent PM and declines to agree to an election).

Any thoughts?

• Options

Good
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:
    The only police Jezza would gladly pose with is the Stasi.
  • Options
    PM seems to be suggesting he will resign if we're not heading out on the 31/10.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Scott_P said:

That is exactly the plan
    Thats what i thought.

Who knows.
    True, but what that leaves unaddressed is the situation - not now impossible - in which the PM resigns - perhaps the only way of fulfilling his promise of not asking for an extension - but does not name a successor to HM the Queen because there isn't one in his opinion that could command a majority - just as he can't.

(While parliament perhaps declines to VONC a non existent PM and declines to agree to an election).

Any thoughts?

Could Boris resign and be the next PM?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

will you be reoining if he does ?
    As a one nation conservative I would if the ERG were sidelined
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Are they police officers?

Double deletion from the Secret Barrister and @Scott_P tut tut
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,537

Good
    And this constituent agrees. Hope many in Penrith and Border think the same.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Why is valuable police time being wasted standing behind the PM? Don't they have work to do?
This discussion has been closed.