Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jo Johnson’s resignation will only reinforce the doubts that B

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,799

GIN1138 said:

For goodness sake Boris - resign

Are you still on holiday with Mrs G?
    Not gone yet Gin - leave week on saturday
    Ah right. I thought I read someone saying you and Mrs G were cruising but I thought it'd be odd if you were on holiday and posting on here.

Hope you both have a nice time. :)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,514
    isam said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_P said:

Am i being stupid, but whats stopping labour saying no again? Given the bill that basically says Boris MUST call an exention then he'd be forced to resign by his own words.

That is exactly the plan
    Thats what i thought.

But what happens then?? Who the f-knows. corbyn gets to be PM I guess?
    Who knows.
    Maybe Corbyn gets first try and fails (Swinson against). Then maybe Ken Clarke?
    There's no such thing as "first try" as Brown showed in 2010. Either someone else can command Parliament, in which case they become PM, or nobody can in which case we need an election. Otherwise until then the existing PM remains in situ until there is either a clear alternative or an election that generates a clear alternative [and if the election is inconclusive the PM remains until a conclusion is reached].
    True, but what that leaves unaddressed is the situation - not now impossible - in which the PM resigns - perhaps the only way of fulfilling his promise of not asking for an extension - but does not name a successor to HM the Queen because there isn't one in his opinion that could command a majority - just as he can't.

(While parliament perhaps declines to VONC a non existent PM and declines to agree to an election).

Any thoughts?

Could Boris resign and be the next PM?
    Plainly yes, but my question still stands. Can anyone solve it?

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

Rory’s local rag endorses him regardless.

https://twitter.com/newsandstar/status/1169622463057035265?s=21

Good
    Think he has a chance. Said last night this reminds me of the Blaenau Gwent situation under New Labour.
  • Options
    Mr. Anabobazina, ha, I must confess the second one was not intentional.

Futtocks is a marvellous word, though.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,135

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

I find it hard to believe the rebels would have voted for against the Benn bill had it not been for prorogation.
    It's smoked them out I reckon. Johnson didn't get Cummings in to stroke MPs egos, he got him in to win.
    How’s that going for him then?

He’s ripped the heart out of the Conservative Party in pursuit of a pure ideology.

Long-standing members won’t have it, and we haven’t seen the end of it.

I’m furious.
    Can I correct your statement please? He's ripped the heart out of the Conservative Party in pursuit of a pure personal ambition. Thanks.
  • Options

The whip removal was I think the big error, without that hed almost certainly have got a one line bill for a GE through, mann is already calling for Corbyn to 'go early' and Hoey and a couple others (elphicke, hermon etc) could have been bought off

Elphicke does not need to be bought off. He should not be counted as an Independent for these votes, as he is a careerist Conservative who will do whatever BJohnson asks. Sadly for him he is due in court tomorrow.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,799

The whip removal was I think the big error, without that hed almost certainly have got a one line bill for a GE through, mann is already calling for Corbyn to 'go early' and Hoey and a couple others (elphicke, hermon etc) could have been bought off

If/when he gets the election the whip withdrawal will be important in getting BXP voters to vote Con.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    TGOHF said:

Rudd should never have been in.

Another barnacle off the boat.

Rudd(erless) then ?!?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2019
    It's funny how talking about Bercow's wife was deemed to be unacceptable, but talking about Boris's brother is just fine.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Not gone yet Gin - leave week on saturday
    Ah right. I thought I read someone saying you and Mrs G were cruising but I thought it'd be odd if you were on holiday and posting on here.

Hope you both have a nice time. :)
    Thanks Gin
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    AndyJS said:

It's funny how talking about Bercow's wife was deemed to be unacceptable, but talking about Boris's brother is just fine.

Well he is an MP in his own right.
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Well he is an MP in his own right.
    IIRC she was intending to stand as a councillor in Westminster.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Yet Jezza is still chicken...
  • Options
    Wow, that song came into my head too as I saw the comment above!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Graham Brady better check his mailbox.

And Gove should assemble the men in grey suits...
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Scott_P said:

Am i being stupid, but whats stopping labour saying no again? Given the bill that basically says Boris MUST call an exention then he'd be forced to resign by his own words.

That is exactly the plan
    Thats what i thought.

Who knows.
    There's no such thing as "first try" as Brown showed in 2010. Either someone else can command Parliament, in which case they become PM, or nobody can in which case we need an election. Otherwise until then the existing PM remains in situ until there is either a clear alternative or an election that generates a clear alternative [and if the election is inconclusive the PM remains until a conclusion is reached].
    True, but what that leaves unaddressed is the situation - not now impossible - in which the PM resigns - perhaps the only way of fulfilling his promise of not asking for an extension - but does not name a successor to HM the Queen because there isn't one in his opinion that could command a majority - just as he can't.

(While parliament perhaps declines to VONC a non existent PM and declines to agree to an election).

Any thoughts?

If I was Boris I would "write two letters" and send BOTH to the European Council.

In one letter I would copy and paste the letter Parliament has drafted in the bill.

In the other letter I would write that Parliament has declined to pass any deal, there is no intention to ratify any deal by Parliament and that this is just messing around so he does not want an extension but is legally obliged to ask . . . but if they want to reject the request he would understand and respect that.

EU would extend no doubt but it would be clear who the request has come from.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Looks a bit weird standing in front of group of police officers. The sort of thing politicians like to do in the United States, not here so much.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1169650387416207360

He's having a nervous breakdown on live TV
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Latest:

Oct - 2.52 / 2.58
    Nov - 3.05 / 3.7
    Dec - 4.0 / 5.9

I got on Dec at 14.0 this morning.

But my main play is laying this year.
    Really can't see a December election.

Weather's terrible. Is dark by 4pm. Most people are more concerned about Christmas and New Year.

December, January and February are all out, IMO.

November is very tricky too really.

I think it either happens in October or it's off until April/May and what the hell happens in the six months between October and April is anyone's guess.
    It’s very possible.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    Is Boris genuinely ill?

This rally with five-oh looks ludicrous. Dark, sinister and risible.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    What an earth possessed them to do that? (Boris' advisors, not the police)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    As I said earlier, If there's no GE in October Boris will resign as PM and advise HMQ to invite Corbyn to form a government. Then he can fight the next GE as LOTO.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Yet Jezza is still chicken...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854
    GIN1138 said:

He does not go till 18th September
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Scott_P said:

That is exactly the plan
    Thats what i thought.

Who knows.

Any thoughts?

If I was Boris I would "write two letters" and send BOTH to the European Council.

In one letter I would copy and paste the letter Parliament has drafted in the bill.

In the other letter I would write that Parliament has declined to pass any deal, there is no intention to ratify any deal by Parliament and that this is just messing around so he does not want an extension but is legally obliged to ask . . . but if they want to reject the request he would understand and respect that.

They do speak English and read the UK media you know.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1169650387416207360

He's having a nervous breakdown on live TV

He's quite right too, it only looks shocking after the total lack of discipline that May permitted.

Major did the EXACT SAME THING which Boris's critics seem to conveniently forget.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887
    Scott_P said:
    This is a very worrying thing for a PM to say.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

PM seems to be suggesting he will resign if we're not heading out on the 31/10.

If the Opposition continues to block an election then it's what the logic of his position dictates. He can then fight an eventual election as Leader of the Opposition and blame Corbyn (assuming that he's then PM, although AFAIK there's no bar on Johnson recommending the Queen call for somebody else) for the extension.

The other two options - asking for the extension himself, or breaking the law - are both electoral suicide, and the latter would presumably be subject to defeat in both the UK and EU courts in any event.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    The optics of those poor police officers behind him are terrible on so many levels.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    It make him look tough and ready to push things forward
  • Options
    I'm embarrassed that this buffoon is Prime Minister of our nation. I pity the Queen.
  • Options
    This is bizarre. A WPC has taken a turn behind Boris by all accounts, live on TV. Who is writing this stuff?
  • Options
    Streeter said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_P said:

That is exactly the plan
    Thats what i thought.

Who knows.

Any thoughts?

So?
  • Options
    Ruddgate:

Will Amber be part of a traffic light coalition?

(My coat is right next to me)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

He's an MP. She's not.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

If/when he gets the election the whip withdrawal will be important in getting BXP voters to vote Con.
    Doesn't help him if there's no early election.
  • Options
    WHAT IN THE NAME OF ARSE WAS THAT?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:

Nope, as we face the final showdown battle in the war with the diehard Remainers Boris has the public increasingly on his side as we prepare for the last battle and with the Tories ahead in every poll, any Tory MP who refuses to back Brexit Deal or No Deal is rightly now going to be thrown out of the party and unable to stand as a Tory candidate again
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    He should have done that with words. Not by using police officers as props.
  • Options
    Smith out.
  • Options
    DougSeal

One of the lady officers has just had to sit down, apparently unwell/sickened.

It really is very weird stuff.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Bad idea to have all those police officers standing behind Boris like that. Looked awful.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Good grief what a car crash .

Bozo the apparent great media performer looks like he’ll be wetting himself anytime soon.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The optics of those poor police officers behind him are terrible on so many levels.

It's a little bt 1984/V for Vendetta isn'tit ...
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

Scott_P said:
    As I said earlier, If there's no GE in October Boris will resign as PM and advise HMQ to invite Corbyn to form a government. Then he can fight the next GE as LOTO.
    Less than a week ago all the Conservatives here were saying that BJ would rather be taken away in a straightjacket than hand the keys of No 10 to Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options

Smith out.

What seat do they represent? Are they going to the lib dems? ;0
  • Options

It's a little bt 1984/V for Vendetta isn'tit ...

England Prevails !!!
  • Options

DougSeal

One of the lady officers has just had to sit down, apparently unwell/sickened.

It really is very weird stuff.

Swept off her feet by his sweet talking.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

Of the Brexit outcomes British voters think are still realistically possible, a plurality of 21% now prefer No Deal YouGov finds today.

Tied second are leaving the EU on a renegotiated Deal as Boris wants and Remaining in the EU after all on 19% each.

12% back a soft Brexit staying in the single market and customs union, 10% back EUref2 and just 5% back the date of Brexit being delayed past 31st October and 2% back May's existing Brexit Deal.

Leave voters split 41% for No Deal, 31% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal and 9% for soft Brexit. Remain voters split 38% for Remain, 18% for EUref2 and 14% for soft Brexit.

Tory voters split 42% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal, 35% for No Deal and 8% for soft Brexit, Labour voters split 35% for Remain, 18% for EUref2 and 15% for soft Brexit, LD voters split 42% for Remain, 16% for EUref2 and 14% for soft Brexit and Brexit Party voters split 59% for No Deal, 30% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal and 5% for soft Brexit.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/09/05/what-do-public-think-can-still-realistically-happe

He is an utter disaster and has to go

You have already gone from the Tory Party, your choice but the party itself is now fully behind Brexit Deal or No Deal and with Boris in the war with the diehard Remainers and Corbyn
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Nope, as we face the final showdown battle in the war with the diehard Remainers Boris has the public increasingly on his side as we prepare for the last battle and with the Tories ahead in every poll, any Tory MP who refuses to back Brexit Deal or No Deal is rightly now going to be thrown out of the party and unable to stand as a Tory candidate again
    You have lost it as has Boris

Both of you are heading for defeat
  • Options

Ruddgate:

Greens are up for it!
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    DougSeal said:

Not to a lot of people
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Boris definitely will not be asking for an extension. Its resign and put Corbyn into bat, run as the insurgent alongside Farage seems to be the strategy.
    Or fire Cummings!
  • Options
    I thought May was the one terrible with the media?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,180
    JackW said:

I'm embarrassed that this buffoon is Prime Minister of our nation. I pity the Queen.

Indeed. They say that where America goes we follow after a year or two.

And as with most things that 'they say', it is total bollox.

But every so often it isn't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Of the Brexit outcomes British voters think are still realistically possible, a plurality of 21% now prefer No Deal YouGov finds today.

Tied second are leaving the EU on a renegotiated Deal as Boris wants and Remaining in the EU after all on 19% each.

12% back a soft Brexit staying in the single market and customs union, 10% back EUref2 and just 5% back the date of Brexit being delayed past 31st October and 2% back May's existing Brexit Deal.

Leave voters split 41% for No Deal, 31% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal and 9% for soft Brexit. Remain voters split 38% for Remain, 18% for EUref2 and 14% for soft Brexit.

Tory voters split 42% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal, 35% for No Deal and 8% for soft Brexit, Labour voters split 35% for Remain, 18% for EUref2 and 15% for soft Brexit, LD voters split 42% for Remain, 16% for EUref2 and 14% for soft Brexit and Brexit Party voters split 59% for No Deal, 30% for a Boris renegotiated Brexit Deal and 5% for soft Brexit.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/09/05/what-do-public-think-can-still-realistically-happe

You have already gone from the Tory Party, your choice but the party itself is now fully behind Brexit Deal or No Deal and with Boris in the war with the diehard Remainers and Corbyn
    "Now fully behind Brexit Deal or No Deal and with Boris".

Excellent. Are you guaranteeing no more resignations, defections or expulsions then?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,500
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    What a load of arse.
    If you're making a big political speech about Europe, drafting in a backdrop of police cadets is not a good look. Makes him look quite the opposite of tough.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    LOL
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Yep - I can think of 3 immediately and I'm hardly trying.
  • Options
    British proposals to EU reported by BBC.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

"final showdown", "last battle", "war". Are we expectng the Rapture as well? Are you okay?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Come back May all is forgiven.
  • Options
    Brom said:

DougSeal said:

Not to a lot of people
    To a lot of people he needs to persuade to vote for him.
  • Options
    Johnson just isn’t up to it and he seems to be realising it.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Latest:

Oct - 2.52 / 2.58
    Nov - 3.05 / 3.7
    Dec - 4.0 / 5.9

I got on Dec at 14.0 this morning.

But my main play is laying this year.
    Really can't see a December election.

Weather's terrible. Is dark by 4pm. Most people are more concerned about Christmas and New Year.

December, January and February are all out, IMO.

November is very tricky too really.

I think it either happens in October or it's off until April/May and what the hell happens in the six months between October and April is anyone's guess.
    It’s very possible.
    If Johnson resigns and puts Corbyn into bat, and then demands an immediate VONC, he'll almost certainly get his election. There are too many MPs outside of the Labour Party who are too vehemently opposed to Corbyn in power to vote to keep him there. After all, as far as the Remainers are concerned they only need a PM in place who's ready and willing to ask for the A50 extension - and Corbyn will do that, because obviously to fail to do so would destroy the Labour Party. Beyond that, he's of no further use to all those who would otherwise oppose him politically.

The VONC would not affect Corbyn's ability to go to the EU summit and ask for the extension so, unless the Commons thinks there's a realistic chance of the EU27 saying no, there's no harm for the Remainers in voting him out immediately: as the incumbent, he would stay in as caretaker until election day. Therefore, if Labour declines to back an October 15th poll then November looks pretty much nailed on.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,500

Ruddgate:

Damien Green to follow ???
  • Options

Streeter said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_P said:

That is exactly the plan
    Thats what i thought.

Who knows.

Any thoughts?

So?
    So it doesn’t matter how many letters Boris writes, or whether they’re in English or Mandarin, the EU knows exactly what’s happening in the UK. Your comment was utterly crass and stupid, but that’s what we’ve come to expect from you.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    The most unforgivable thing in cricket is a slow bowler bowling a no ball when a wicket would have been taken. That happened earlier today.
  • Options

My favourite word is 'milk'.

Has been for some time.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Make Steve Smith a French citizen and ineligible for test cricket for Australia ?
  • Options

Johnson just isn’t up to it and he seems to be realising it.

Utter crap, Boris is taking on the diehard Remainer fanatics like you once and for all in a way May never was, you wanted a war, boy have you now got one!!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

You have lost it as has Boris

Both of you are heading for defeat
    No, we are heading for victory, even without you BigG
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Who cares what the fake news journos say, Boris is saying what the people want to hear
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Perhaps it's to deter anyone throwing eggs & the like.
  • Options
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,268
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am saddened HYUFD that you have transformed from a sensible conservative with an obsession with polls to a deluded disciple of a cult that is trashing everything you once stood for

I am a one nation conservative, not a Farage tribute act, and support the 100 conservatives/or sacked conservatives who I hope rebel in a block and create their own movement, and by the way, see the end to this disastrous brexit earthquake and engineer either a soft brexit or even remain

I am bitterly upset at what is happening but inthe end decency will prevail as we start to slowly heal the wounds both in the UK and the EU and restore international friendships and our reputation.

I no longer want to be associated with those who would create division and hatred against so many here and abroad

And I even accept that could be under Corbyn, but if it is, Boris, the ERG and yourself are all responsible for the economic armagedon that would follow him in office
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    kinabalu said:

My favourite word is 'milk'.

Has been for some time.
    autocorrect of "milf"?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

.... the party itself is now fully behind Brexit Deal or No Deal
    Is that strictly accurate? As with May many Tories will be 'fully behind [a] Brexit deal' in theory but not like the look of the one they get. Won't we need to see what deal Boris achieves and see if all remaining Tory MPs back it before we declare them 'fully behind' it? Are Baker and Francois behind it? Clearly they are not behind any deal, so until we see the deal they cannot be assumed to be in support for starters.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

Who cares what the fake news journos say, Boris is saying what the people want to hear
    What's with the fake news tag? Are you consciously trying to adopt a Trumpian style?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am saddened HYUFD that you have transformed from a sensible conservative with an obsession with polls to a deluded disciple of a cult that is trashing everything you once stood for

I am a one nation conservative, not a Farage tribute act, and support the 100 conservatives/or sacked conservatives who I hope rebel in a block and create their own movement, and by the way, see the end to this disastrous brexit earthquake and engineer either a soft brexit or even remain

I am bitterly upset at what is happening but inthe end decency will prevail as we start to slowly heal the wounds both in the UK and the EU and restore international friendships and our reputation.

I no longer want to be associated with those who would create division and hatred against so many here and abroad

And I even accept that could be under Corbyn, but if it is, Boris, the ERG and yourself are all responsible for the economic armagedon that would follow him in office
    Big G you are a class act.
  • Options
    JackW said:

dixiedean said:

Make Steve Smith a French citizen and ineligible for test cricket for Australia ?
    Pretty sure you can play as a dual citizen, alas, so we need more. Plus that would just mean the French cricket team was good enough to be a test team through him alone, and still beat us.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

autocorrect of "milf"?

You are a one!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    211? FFS.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    AnneJGP said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:
    Perhaps it's to deter anyone throwing eggs & the like.
    Yorkkshire Police have form.
This discussion has been closed.