Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Government of Laws

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

RobD said:

RobD said:

Refusing royal assent would be outrageous. The Parliament has passed a law, you can't just ignore it because it is inconvenient.

Parliament can change the PM if its not happy with the veto.
    How can it if it is prorogued minutes after assent is refused?
    If black rod came to summon the Commons minutes after assent is refused I think Speaker Bercow would shout out to lock the doors prior to the debate being concluded and refuse the summons. That's just not going to happen.
    No one could possibly be as stupid as you're pretending to be.

The MPs are summoned first. They go into the House of Lords. Then royal assent is granted (or not). Then parliament is prorogued.

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    edited September 2019

Mr. Thompson, the PM does not have a veto right over the entire Palace of Westminster. He isn't a Roman consul. The Commons and Lords are not mere debating chambers awaiting the nod of approval of the Glorious Prime Minister for their words to be given meaning, or frustrated by the shaken head of denial.

The PM should or royal assent is meaningless.

That doesn't make the Commons and Lords mere debating chambers since a veto would be a nuclear option - and the Commons can immediately on a simple majority pull down the PM and replace them with another.

When the POTUS vetoes a bill it takes more than a simple majority to override that veto and doing so doesn't pull down the POTUS.
    The Queen exercises her executive functions on the advice of the Prime Minister. This is a legislative issue though. Also the POTUS is both Head of State and Head of Government. As you know the positions are split in our constitution
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

No, please just read it. The Commons have already been summoned to the Lords. They aren't sitting any more. There is royal assent (or not), then a speech, and then parliament is prorogued. There is no opportunity for an "urgent debate" in the House of Commons.

As for MPs refusing to proceed with the ceremony, "and rightly so!", you've only just told us on the other thread that you think the government "should 100% refuse royal assent."

How can anyone make sense of such drivel?

Those two statements aren't contradictory.

The government should refuse royal assent and then the Commons should urgently debate that and hold a VONC if the Commons wishes to do so.

I see no reason to interrupt that debate with black rod and I think that would be considered unlawful. At the moment assent is refused Parliament will be sitting, it won't be prorogued yet. Unless this drama is resolved, whether through the courts or not, the Commons will refuse to be summonsed for prorogation.
    I've just told you - the Commons will already have been summoned to the Lords. They will already be in the Lords. They will not be sitting any more.

I wish I understood what people think they are achieving when they behave like this. Surely they can't believe they are influencing public opinion? Certainly they may disrupt the discussion and confuse a few people, but is that really sufficient reward for posting hundreds of comments here, day in and day out?
    Are they teleported? Is there some magic in the House of Commons I wasn't aware of?

If they're summoned to the Lords they will be in the Commons not the Lords. If they're summoned then, I see no reason the Commons wouldn't say "no, we refuse to be summoned".
    I keep asking you to read the information I posted. Please do so, and stop wasting everybody's time.
    I did read it. At the time of the summons MPs will be physically sat in the Commons.

If Bercow shouts to lock the doors on Black Rod and refuses to open them again and MPs simply continue with the debate then that is what they do.

The Commons is independent of Black Rod. Every year the Commons slams the door on Black Rod's face to emphasise that. If Black Rod tried to override an urgent Commons debate they would just slam the door in his face and continue the debate. https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/principal/black-rod/
    Phillip HMQ wont permit black rod or anyone else associated with her to be involved in a low budget made for TV movie
  • Options
    nico67 said:

As a Remainer I would have been disgusted if say the EU ref had been to stay and then the government tried to bring in the Euro by advising the Queen to refuse her consent to a Bill blocking that .

Leavers have to realize that whilst you might think you can accept certain Johnson actions now because in your opinion the end goal is worth it what happens if you’re on the opposing side of the argument in the future on something different .

The reason the HOL filibuster was dropped is because in the future that precedent would allow future Bills to go the same way when the government might be in opposition .

I've no idea how thing will play out but I'm convinced that Boris doesn't want No Deal.

I would really love a Boris GE win just to see the reaction of the Baker-Francois gang when they discover they've been the useful idiots for the ambition of Boris.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

No, please just read it. The Commons have already been summoned to the Lords. They aren't sitting any more. There is royal assent (or not), then a speech, and then parliament is prorogued. There is no opportunity for an "urgent debate" in the House of Commons.

As for MPs refusing to proceed with the ceremony, "and rightly so!", you've only just told us on the other thread that you think the government "should 100% refuse royal assent."

The government should refuse royal assent and then the Commons should urgently debate that and hold a VONC if the Commons wishes to do so.

I see no reason to interrupt that debate with black rod and I think that would be considered unlawful. At the moment assent is refused Parliament will be sitting, it won't be prorogued yet. Unless this drama is resolved, whether through the courts or not, the Commons will refuse to be summonsed for prorogation.
    I've just told you - the Commons will already have been summoned to the Lords. They will already be in the Lords. They will not be sitting any more.

I wish I understood what people think they are achieving when they behave like this. Surely they can't believe they are influencing public opinion? Certainly they may disrupt the discussion and confuse a few people, but is that really sufficient reward for posting hundreds of comments here, day in and day out?
    Are they teleported? Is there some magic in the House of Commons I wasn't aware of?

If they're summoned to the Lords they will be in the Commons not the Lords. If they're summoned then, I see no reason the Commons wouldn't say "no, we refuse to be summoned".
    I keep asking you to read the information I posted. Please do so, and stop wasting everybody's time.
    I did read it. At the time of the summons MPs will be physically sat in the Commons.

If Bercow shouts to lock the doors on Black Rod and refuses to open them again and MPs simply continue with the debate then that is what they do.

The Commons is independent of Black Rod. Every year the Commons slams the door on Black Rod's face to emphasise that. If Black Rod tried to override an urgent Commons debate they would just slam the door in his face and continue the debate. https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/principal/black-rod/
    That's before assent is refused/accepted to the bills that are still outstanding.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Refusing royal assent would be outrageous. The Parliament has passed a law, you can't just ignore it because it is inconvenient.

If black rod came to summon the Commons minutes after assent is refused I think Speaker Bercow would shout out to lock the doors prior to the debate being concluded and refuse the summons. That's just not going to happen.
    If I remember previous prorogation ceremonies, the house of commons are standing inside the Lords as the commission is read and assent to acts is given. They'd have to run back in the commons and do god knows what to somehow prevent the parliament being prorogued. After the speech, the speaker doesn't resume his seat in his normal chair because the session is over.
    Why are the Commons standing inside the Lords? They're not normally are they. You've skipped some steps. How do you think they will get the MPs from the Commons to the Lords?
    I posted it once for you. Now read it:
    A Royal Commission consisting of five Peers, all Privy Councillors, appointed by the Queen enter the Chamber, and instruct Black Rod to summon the House of Commons, which he does.
    When the Commons arrive, the Royal Commission and representatives of the Commons, including the Speaker, the Clerk and the Serjeant at Arms, ceremonially greet each other: the Lords doff their hats and the Members and officials of the Commons bow in return.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/evolutionofparliament/parliamentwork/offices-and-ceremonies/overview/prorogation1/prorogation/
  • Options
    Interesting (and in the comments much disputed) post on “can the queen refuse royal assent on the advice of the PM:

https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2019/09/05/michael-detmold-the-proper-denial-of-royal-assent/
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Phillip HMQ wont permit black rod or anyone else associated with her to be involved in a low budget made for TV movie
    That's my point!
  • Options
    Have we got to the bit in the story where Bercow shouts smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast and suicide charges the grenadiers guards sent to impose HMQs will?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The MPs are summoned first. They go into the House of Lords. Then royal assent is granted (or not). Then parliament is prorogued.

So, let us assume that when the list of Bills to be assented to is read out one isn't there. There's time enough for the Speaker, as representative of the House of Commons to turn round and return to the Commons. Probably lock the doors.
    Could/would Assent be given to anything in those circumstances? The Soveriegn is no longer with both Houses.
    And what sort of deep doo-doo would that land us in?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    ab195 said:

This should be very simple for everyone. Our Parliament has passed a law. Whether we like it or not, it is the law. If you depart from that statement you’re saying you no longer believe in the rule of law.

I’d be a little sympathetic if there were reason to suggest Parliament was acting ultra vires. But that’s not possible in our system - Parliament can do what it wants.

I want to leave the EU. I now think we have to do this by leaving with no deal. I think Parliament has acted disgracefully. But we must follow the law. The comeuppance will or won’t come at the following election. I think it will, but only time will tell.

I'm almost tempted to agree with you, but obeyance of the law isn't automatic. If Parliament passed a law mandating the slaughter of the firstborn, to disobey that law would be an act of civil disobedience and arguably a moral duty.

In demanding an extension while refusing an election, parliament has deliberately acted so as to frustrate the result of the 2016 referendum and as scuch is a direct attack on democracy. For the government of the day to disobey such a law is arguably a moral duty. And if Parliament don't like it, they can always call an election.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

This should be very simple for everyone. Our Parliament has passed a law. Whether we like it or not, it is the law. If you depart from that statement you’re saying you no longer believe in the rule of law.

I’d be a little sympathetic if there were reason to suggest Parliament was acting ultra vires. But that’s not possible in our system - Parliament can do what it wants.

I want to leave the EU. I now think we have to do this by leaving with no deal. I think Parliament has acted disgracefully. But we must follow the law. The comeuppance will or won’t come at the following election. I think it will, but only time will tell.

If Boris is unable to accept the law he should resign as PM but if he remains as PM he should accept the law.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Goodbye all.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Brexit is in danger of poisoning everything unless Bozo sees sense .

Remainers and Leavers can argue about Brexit , fair enough but for a PM to ignore a law and try and gain public support for that action is reprehensible .

• Options
    RobD said:

That's before assent is refused/accepted to the bills that are still outstanding.
    Yes and considering refusing assent is not just being discussed as a possibility now, but was discussed as a possibility in March too, MPs will demand assent prior to the ceremony commencing so it is not still outstanding.

Similarly while HMQ might agree to refuse assent on the advice of her ministers - she certainly won't be involved with doing so during the formal prorogation ceremony.

If Boris advices HMQ to refuse assent and she agrees I think she would rightly insist that occur prior to the prorogation ceremony.
  • Options

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

So, let us assume that when the list of Bills to be assented to is read out one isn't there. There's time enough for the Speaker, as representative of the House of Commons to turn round and return to the Commons. Probably lock the doors.
    Could/would Assent be given to anything in those circumstances? The Soveriegn is no longer with both Houses.
    None of the bizarre scenarios being discussed will ever come to pass. I mean we are through the looking glass if we are discussing Bercow barricading himself in the commons. It's the end of sodding days if we get there!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yes Stewart you did. You betrayed your party and country and colluded with the enemy before doing so.
  • Options
    A more intelligent way of getting around the problem might be to use a little lateral thinking to prevent the EU offering an extension in the first place.

I.e. Boris requests an extension, and makes it clear that if it is granted the UK will exercise every single legal right and veto it possesses, on every single part of the EU's business it can affect, every single day, to bring the EU apparatus grinding to a halt.

Et voila! The EU may just refuse the extension.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Goodbye all.

Sounds ominous...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,981
    If anyone wants to bet, I'll offer 10-1 on the Queen refusing Royal Assent for the bill.

@Philip_Thompson ?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yes Stewart you did. You betrayed your party and country and colluded with the enemy before doing so.
    The EU is not an enemy. Nearly all of its member states are NATO allies. They are not, and are not threatening, to violently harm anyone here. Dial it down.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Nestacres said:

Royal Veto last used by Tony Blair in 1999 to avoid a bill for a vote on Iraq War

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/15/ministers-exploited-royal-veto-legislation

Wouldnt be surprised if this isnt seen on Monday.....

Nothing referred to ever got as far as passing all it's stages though. Or have I misread.
    There appears to be Consent, which is at an earlier stage, and Assent which is after the Bill has passed both Houses.

Bercow apparently overrode the need for Consent. Surprised that wasn't challenged in the courts after reading that Guardian article.
    One assumes that the Monarch could over-rule the Speaker, if the Monarch considered their powers were being effectively usurped by a ruling of that Speaker?

Not that I expect HM the Q to get in the middle of next week's fiasco.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:
    The EU is not an enemy. Nearly all of its member states are NATO allies. They are not, and are not threatening, to violently harm anyone here. Dial it down.
    You have to admit, working with the EU to undermine Brexit is not a good look.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:
    I am a EU citizen. They are EU citizens. What’s the issue here?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Also I would love to know in what capacity you have served your country that allows you to so disgracefully demean a former armed serviceman and civil servant in that way.
  • Options
    Brilliant from Dom if true. No Deal it is then.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    Hard to see how brexiters are going to get a deal if talking to the EU is treason now
  • Options
    edited September 2019

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:
    In case you hadn't noticed, there is a negotiation to leave, and there are two negotiating teams not one.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:
    In case you hadn't noticed, there is a negotiation to leave, and there are two negotiating teams not one.
    and?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Hard to see how brexiters are going to get a deal if talking to the EU is treason now

Fine for the government to talk to them, as they are the ones doing the negotiation. It's different when people that are actively seeking to undermine Brexit entirely enter into secret talks with them.
  • Options

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:
    and?
    and your point about everyone being EU citizens is therefore irrelevant.
  • Options

Interesting (and in the comments much disputed) post on “can the queen refuse royal assent on the advice of the PM:

https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2019/09/05/michael-detmold-the-proper-denial-of-royal-assent/

Interesting article , thanks for posting . I think his arguments are good and I can see why the Queen has to follow that advice .

Unfortunately though the Queen will be drawn into the political drama if Johnson tries to do this . And it will cause a further rupture in the Tory party .

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

Brilliant from Dom if true. No Deal it is then.
    And a hell of a court case with Dom and Boris owing the UK a few billion if he is wrong.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    RobD said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:
    and?
    It’s not irrelevant when people are throwing around hyperbole like “collaborating with a foreign power”.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,528
    edited September 2019
    Interesting article, but a bit exaggerated. In this high stakes stand off each side is giving nothing away whatever. Neither Gove nor Boris have either broken the law or said they would do so. An interpretation - and that's all - turns words in that direction and becomes a headline.

Boris has a number of ways of adhering to the law. These include doing a deal in time, or resigning, or playing games with who is empowered to do the actual obeying of the law, or challenging in court its meaning, validity or force. He may find a way of technically complying while making sure it doesn't happen. He of course can also obey the law by the humiliating actions the Benn Bill requires on its face. But that is not how politics works. There are egos at stake, and not only Boris's.

Personally I think it would be good if he used it ("my hands are tied") to bring back TMs deal. If he does and the Commons rejected it again I think it could be turned to his advantage. A situation where the Commons won't agree an election, won't VONC, won't agree a deal and will force an extension without any reasons for it does not look great.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Interesting article , thanks for posting . I think his arguments are good and I can see why the Queen has to follow that advice .

Unfortunately though the Queen will be drawn into the political drama if Johnson tries to do this . And it will cause a further rupture in the Tory party .

The party is already ruptured.

If the Commons wishes to override Boris's veto let it remove Boris. Job done.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:
    and?
    It’s not irrelevant when people are throwing around hyperbole like “collaborating with a foreign power”.
    Yes, that is silly. But on the broader point they are right. British politicians secretly discussing with the EU ways to undermine Brexit isn't a good look.
  • Options

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

None of the bizarre scenarios being discussed will ever come to pass. I mean we are through the looking glass if we are discussing Bercow barricading himself in the commons. It's the end of sodding days if we get there!
    Its not through the looking glass, MPs barricade themselves in the Commons annually.

MPs will demand assent before prorogation - and if assent is denied will refuse to be prorogued prior to debating that [and voting on a VONC if necessary]
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Yes, Rory's right. They're starting to sound scary.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

ab195 said:

I'm almost tempted to agree with you, but obeyance of the law isn't automatic. If Parliament passed a law mandating the slaughter of the firstborn, to disobey that law would be an act of civil disobedience and arguably a moral duty.

In demanding an extension while refusing an election, parliament has deliberately acted so as to frustrate the result of the 2016 referendum and as scuch is a direct attack on democracy. For the government of the day to disobey such a law is arguably a moral duty. And if Parliament don't like it, they can always call an election.

Except that parties opposing a No Deal Brexit got a majority of the votes in the 2017 general election.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

kyf_100 said:

ab195 said:

Except that parties opposing a No Deal Brexit got a majority of the votes in the 2017 general election.

Good job they accepted a deal then.....
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:
    Also I would love to know in what capacity you have served your country that allows you to so disgracefully demean a former armed serviceman and civil servant in that way.
    Robert E. Lee was an active armed serviceman. Didn't stop him betraying his country.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, and yet MPs standing for parties opposed to no deal refused to support a deal on multiple occasions.
  • Options
    Re the secret talks alleged. It is problematic. Nobody but the government has the authority to negotiate on behalf of the country/HMQ, the LOTO is slightly different because they represent the government in waiting as it were, and informal talks are not an issue in that regard. But a group of backbenchers cannot seek to undermine the UK position by negotiating with the EU.
    That's the rebel alliance's biggest problem with keeping Bojo at the crease, the EU cannot assume what the UK position would be if he were not there, BJ is the UK at the summit and if he says no referendum, no election, no money for you then that is the UK position. If they demand to know what he will do with the extension and he replies 'nothing' then that is the position of the UK and they can't assume otherwise.
    If it came out definitively that backbenchers had cut a deal with the EU negotiating team it would be very very problematic, and would be treason in the strictest sense of the word, the undermining of and acting against HMQ and her government with a foreign power.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    Aus 1.56
    Draw 3.1

So Aus are clear favourites to win but do they have time? Surely they will set a target of at least 350 and probably a bit more - so they aren't going to have much time to bowl this evening.
  • Options

Re the secret talks alleged. It is problematic. Nobody but the government has the authority to negotiate on behalf of the country/HMQ, the LOTO is slightly different because they represent the government in waiting as it were, and informal talks are not an issue in that regard. But a group of backbenchers cannot seek to undermine the UK position by negotiating with the EU.
    That's the rebel alliance's biggest problem with keeping Bojo at the crease, the EU cannot assume what the UK position would be if he were not there, BJ is the UK at the summit and if he says no referendum, no election, no money for you then that is the UK position. If they demand to know what he will do with the extension and he replies 'nothing' then that is the position of the UK and they can't assume otherwise.
    If it came out definitively that backbenchers had cut a deal with the EU negotiating team it would be very very problematic, and would be treason in the strictest sense of the word, the undermining of and acting against HMQ and her government with a foreign power.

Good grief drop the hyperbole .

The so called talks could have simply been is an extension likely . They’re hardly plotting an invasion with EU tanks on the Mall .

• Options
    Re the whip losing MPs.

I think there's a difference between those who also opposed the WDA and so deserve no sympathy and those who voted for the WDA and do.

If May had chosen to be decisive instead of can kicking its possible it would be the Baker-Francois gang who lost the whip rather than Rory and KenC.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Tbf if there were secret talks between the EU and the rebels and action agreed to subvert the UK government's position then it is collusion with a foreign power. The government are the only people that can negotiate with the EU.
    The language is of course deliberately provocative and not necessary
  • Options

Mr. Observer, and yet MPs standing for parties opposed to no deal refused to support a deal on multiple occasions.

Yep, so we need another deal.

• Options

Scott_P said:
    Tbf if there were secret talks between the EU and the rebels and action agreed to subvert the UK government's position then it is collusion with a foreign power. The government are the only people that can negotiate with the EU.
    Indeed and the idea that this is a domestic matter as we are a part of the EU is not true. The decision to extend or not as far as the EU is concerned is decided by 27 countries but explicitly not ours. As people have pointed out, we are "outside the room". They are foreign powers this is not domestic.
  • Options

Re the whip losing MPs.

I think there's a difference between those who also opposed the WDA and so deserve no sympathy and those who voted for the WDA and do.

If May had chosen to be decisive instead of can kicking its possible it would be the Baker-Francois gang who lost the whip rather than Rory and KenC.

Yes entirely correct. It was May's weakness that caused this.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

There is no other deal.

As you well know. Parliament voted agai8 the only deal 3 times, so now the only option left is no deal.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The so called talks could have simply been is an extension likely . They’re hardly plotting an invasion with EU tanks on the Mall .

Who knows? Maybe they gave the EU advice on how to stonewall the government's negotiators.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The EU have been discussing Brexit with all the parties since 2016. This is nothing new.

I would expect UK officials have regular discussions with Nancy Pelosi. It does not make Pelosi a traitor or the UK trying to collude against the US govt.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Aus 1.56
    Draw 3.1

So Aus are clear favourites to win but do they have time? Surely they will set a target of at least 350 and probably a bit more - so they aren't going to have much time to bowl this evening.

Its a bet on whether you think England have the maturity and patience to bat 100 overs.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

As you well know. Parliament voted agai8 the only deal 3 times, so now the only option left is no deal.
    or extend and renegotiate with different red lines...
  • Options
    RobD said:

nico67 said:

Who knows? Maybe they gave the EU advice on how to stonewall the government's negotiators.
    Absolutely!

What possible reason do the EU have to grant us any concessions if these traitors have decided to collude with them?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The talks should not happen at all, the rebels have no authority to conduct talks with another country/group of countries. I guess they are welcome to say what they think might happen but HMQs government are looking to leave Oct 31, negotiating how to make that not happen with the EU is very very problematic. They carry no authority and are therefore working to undermine the government.
    That's not hyperbole its fact. You can't just run around negotiating with whonever you like
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Nobody serious imagines PM Boris will explicitly break the law and face jail time.

Simply remainer frothing.

There are many many other scenarios that may occur - probably some not even been mentioned.
  • Options

They mostly voted against "the" deal not a deal. Leavers do not seem to realise 5/6 MPs have voted for either Mays deal or soft Brexit. The indicative votes made clear the majority in the commons is for soft Brexit once Mays payroll vote which included plenty of the now rebels, is taken into account.

The anger for brexit not being delivered should be against the leaderships of both parties, not the individual MPs.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

EEA/EFTA would get through the Commons and be acceptable to a majority in the country.

Brexit is tough. No Deal is no solution.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    If Boris doesn't ask for an extension how long would Court case take?

I know Courts will move quickly but no case could even be initiated until after 19 Oct. A hearing would then have to be scheduled, case heard, judgement delivered then the whole process repeated for an appeal etc. Could it be strung out past 31 Oct?

The prorogation cases are still ongoing - and they've been allowed to drag on beyond the date of prorogation.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Aus 1.56
    Draw 3.1

Its a bet on whether you think England have the maturity and patience to bat 100 overs.
    QTWAIN.

Unless the weather interferes if Australia declare with a 400 lead and 100 overs remaining I'd sooner back England to hit the target than bat out the overs.
  • Options
    Let's be honest here, if Boris refuses to ask for an extension under dubious interpertation of the no deal law, what exactly can Parliament do about it?
  • Options

nico67 said:

The talks should not happen at all, the rebels have no authority to conduct talks with another country/group of countries. I guess they are welcome to say what they think might happen but HMQs government are looking to leave Oct 31, negotiating how to make that not happen with the EU is very very problematic. They carry no authority and are therefore working to undermine the government.
    That's not hyperbole its fact. You can't just run around negotiating with whonever you like
    Absolute drivel. Govts across the world talk to opposition leaders around the world on an hourly basis. This is common sense.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

If Boris doesn't ask for an extension how long would Court case take?

I know Courts will move quickly but no case could even be initiated until after 19 Oct. A hearing would then have to be scheduled, case heard, judgement delivered then the whole process repeated for an appeal etc. Could it be strung out past 31 Oct?

The prorogation cases are still ongoing - and they've been allowed to drag on beyond the date of prorogation.

IANAL but I'd imagine the courts could issue an injunction within 24 hours and a full remedy before then.

A VONC could be done instantly if the Commons ever wishes to act like grown ups.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The EU have been discussing Brexit with all the parties since 2016. This is nothing new.

I would expect UK officials have regular discussions with Nancy Pelosi. It does not make Pelosi a traitor or the UK trying to collude against the US govt.
    Well that's the point, its discussion on unofficial levels which are irrelevant versus negotiation and agreed actions. If the EU just want to know what the rebels position is thats fine, but they can't agree they will offer x y and z in return for the rebels ensuring the Benn Bill passes, for example.
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

EEA/EFTA would get through the Commons and be acceptable to a majority in the country.

If it includes FoM, then it is unacceptable.
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

How can you say that when EEA/EFTA was voted down in the indicative votes?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    edited September 2019

Scott_P said:
    Weren't they just checking that the EU would indeed grant an extension if one was requested? If anything they were being helpful to Boris - no point losing him his majority if No Deal was nailed on anyway. Boris and Cummings should be thanking them for injecting a bit of clarity and thoroughness.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Let's be honest here, if Boris refuses to ask for an extension under dubious interpertation of the no deal law, what exactly can Parliament do about it?

Lock him up in Big Ben (seriously within their powers, not sure if the renovations have kept the cells there or not though).

In practice just vote for anyone else to be PM for a day and let Boris and anyone who colluded with him become bankrupt with civil litigation from those who lose out from no deal. Probably not appealing for elite Eton baronets with £100m+ fortune types.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

VONC him and install a PM who will ask for the extension.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Well that's the point, its discussion on unofficial levels which are irrelevant versus negotiation and agreed actions. If the EU just want to know what the rebels position is thats fine, but they can't agree they will offer x y and z in return for the rebels ensuring the Benn Bill passes, for example.
    What do you think the UK govt will be doing with Pelosi? They will be saying can we get x, y and z through congress in a trade deal.
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

Because the indicative votes where a sham. They were whipped.
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

Because the May govt had a large number of MPs who would have supported any deal to move on to brexit but were not allowed to vote.
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

Didn't May give a free vote? Who whipped against EEA/EFTA in the Commons and why didn't MPs break the whip if they cared so much?
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

Didn't May give a free vote? Who whipped against EEA/EFTA in the Commons and why didn't MPs break the whip if they cared so much?
    No it was not a free vote for payroll MPs.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

To you, perhaps.

• Options

Scott_P said:
    Weren't they just checking that the EU would indeed grant an extension if one was requested? If anything they were being helpful to Boris - no point losing him his majority if No Deal was nailed on anyway. Boris and Cummings should be thanking them for injecting a bit of clarity and thoroughness.
    It's a thin line to tread and easy to overstep if one gets excited at all the sovereign power one suddenly thinks one has.
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

No. The payroll were not allowed to vote.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    C’mon, ye pollsters......
  • Options
    nunuone said:

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

It is the democratic will of the 2017 electorate. How dare you go against democracy?

See how silly this can become?
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

LMFAO! EEA/EFTA was called Common Market 2.0

Labour MPs were whipped to support Common Market 2.0

Conservatives were given a free vote [except cabinet abstaining] on Common Market 2.0

Considering the opposition whipped to support it and the government gave a free vote, tell me again how the Commons supports it?
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

Wrong. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/apr/01/brexit-latest-live-news-indicative-votes--brexiters-dismiss-customs-union-plan-as-unacceptable-as-mps-prepare-for-more-indicative-votes-live-new?page=with:block-5ca2875de4b0b4d18bde44fe#block-5ca2875de4b0b4d18bde44fe
  • Options

Scott_P said:

What do you think the UK govt will be doing with Pelosi? They will be saying can we get x, y and z through congress in a trade deal.
    Separation of powers is different in the States. But they wont be negotiating with Pelosii they will be discussing their respective positions, Pelosi has no authority to conclude a trade deal
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

Conservatives were given a free vote [except cabinet abstaining] on Common Market 2.0

Considering the opposition whipped to support it and the government gave a free vote, tell me again how the Commons supports it?
    Tell me how that shows the Commons would not support it now?
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

The Commons had their chance to support it. The Commons rule it out and every other deal out.
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

Wrong. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/apr/01/brexit-latest-live-news-indicative-votes--brexiters-dismiss-customs-union-plan-as-unacceptable-as-mps-prepare-for-more-indicative-votes-live-new?page=with:block-5ca2875de4b0b4d18bde44fe#block-5ca2875de4b0b4d18bde44fe
    I stand corrected. It is rather irrelevant though. It does not prove that the Commons does not support it now.
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

The Commons had their chance to support it. The Commons rule it out and every other deal out.
    Well fine. The Commons has also voted convincingly to rule ‘No Deal’ illegal. What is your point?
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

I stand corrected. It is rather irrelevant though. It does not prove that the Commons does not support it now.
    It doesn't prove that the Commons does not support May's deal now either.

The Commons rejected every possible deal and has given no evidence of supporting this rejecting it when it was proposed.
  • Options

Boris should deny royal assent to the bill since the opposition have refused an election or VONC.

Let the opposition VONC him if they want assent given.

He can't. Royal assent is a formality. It is never denied. If Boris tried to drag the Queen into politics by asking her to refuse or delay assent to this bill he will, I am quite certain, be told where to go.
    That's not true. It was denied in 1707.

Everything is a formality until it isn't.
    It has been a formality for three centuries. For over a century the monarchy has kept itself out of politics. If you really think our current Queen will change that I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

It doesn't prove that the Commons does not support May's deal now either.

The Commons rejected every possible deal and has given no evidence of supporting this rejecting it when it was proposed.
    Only one way to find out: another vote.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2019

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

Well fine. The Commons has also voted convincingly to rule ‘No Deal’ illegal. What is your point?
    The Commons should do its job, or the executive should do its to bring this to a conclusion.

Or given that this Commons has ruled out every option we should have an election and let the public choose a new Commons.
  • Options

nunuone said:

There is no other deal.

The Commons should do its job, or the executive should do its to bring this to a conclusion.
    The Commons are legislating pretty damn effectively in my opinion.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    JohnO said:

C’mon, ye pollsters......

Well, well, well, JohnO. Are you still a member?
  • Options

Boris should deny royal assent to the bill since the opposition have refused an election or VONC.

Let the opposition VONC him if they want assent given.

He can't. Royal assent is a formality. It is never denied. If Boris tried to drag the Queen into politics by asking her to refuse or delay assent to this bill he will, I am quite certain, be told where to go.
    That's not true. It was denied in 1707.

Everything is a formality until it isn't.
    It has been a formality for three centuries. For over a century the monarchy has kept itself out of politics. If you really think our current Queen will change that I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
    The monarchy keeps itself out by accepting her ministers advise.

If the monarch's ministers advise her to refuse assent then what is the monarch to do?
This discussion has been closed.