Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. Where do we go from here and

123457»

Comments

• Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

TUC president, left-winger Mark Serwotka, claims Mr Johnson was "worse than Thatcher" and a "vicious, nasty, right-wing bigot".
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/worse-than-thatcher-unions-attack-boris-johnson/ar-AAGZAiN?ocid=spartanntp

My goodness if Boris wins the wailing from the left will be a sight to behold!

The wailing from Muslims will be more worrying, since Boris is an islamophobe, a Muslim-baiter. That's not the kind of thing that worries only the left. It goes across the spectrum.
    Boris is himself part Muslim through his Turkish great-grandfather
    "part Muslim"? What, does he go to the mosque only on the first Friday of the month?

Boris's Turkish ancestry doesn't make a bit of difference. He's an islamophobe. You shouldn't be defending him, you should condemn him exactly the same as you would if he were attacking Jews.
    As far as I can see, Boris' attitude is more liberal than Macron's, who has banned the burqa and niqab in public spaces.

Boris, in his infamous article, said these garments should not be banned.
    Whataboutery. If you want to talk about someone else's islamophobia, you should do it in the spirit of adding to the discussion in hand, not deflecting it. It doesn't defend Boris that someone in the world is worse than he is.

I'm aware of the content of Boris's article. It doesn't save him. Consider if someone wrote an article about Jews wearing the yarmulkah and comparing them with [something offensive, I'm not going there], but then said "oh but of course we shouldn't ban them", would you seriously be saying that this was all ok? I'm willing to bet not.
    What's your line on Salman Rushdie?
    I've read Midnight's Children and thought it was a splendid book.
    I don't know much else about him, and don't intend to get into yet another tangent. Islamophobia is as wrong as antisemitism. Can't people see that? Can you all really not see it?
    Do you think he should die for writing The Satanic Verses?
    No. I don't think anybody should die for things they say or write.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    So Boris is moving towards accepting the three months. If the courts say it’s a law you have to abide by it, although theoretically he has a decision to make, in reality he has to accept the courts decision. Also, at this moment today we know exactly what answer the court will give, don’t we?

So Overnight Boris becomes level pegging or worse with Labour because of support flouncing off to Farage.

In that circumstance does Boris still want an election? Because yet again in theory he might or might not, but in reality he has to have the election because changing his mind to a no would hole his confidence and poll ratings beneath the water line.

This is what I am claiming happens next, courts say it’s law, Boris abides by it, UK extends exit, Boris has to go to country despite reduced poll lead (possible deficit) a resurgent insurgent Brexit Party. What bit have I got wrong?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734

Noo said:

Noo said:

Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

TUC president, left-winger Mark Serwotka, claims Mr Johnson was "worse than Thatcher" and a "vicious, nasty, right-wing bigot".
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/worse-than-thatcher-unions-attack-boris-johnson/ar-AAGZAiN?ocid=spartanntp

The wailing from Muslims will be more worrying, since Boris is an islamophobe, a Muslim-baiter. That's not the kind of thing that worries only the left. It goes across the spectrum.
    He has criticized niqab-wearers, who are less than 5% of Muslims. Has he said something about Muslims more broadly?
    Alas, that is enough. Attacking a subset of a religion for the way they express their religion through dress is enough for the charge to stick.
    But he has said other things, stupid ahistorical theories about progress and Islam. He's got a problem with Islam and Muslims.
    So, are the governments of France, Denmark, Belgium, & Austria islamophobic?

They have banned the full veil in public spaces. There are also partial bans & restrictions (I believe) in Germany, the Netherlands, parts of Italy and Catalonia.

These are your beloved EU governments. They are much less liberal than Boris, who said that the garments should not be banned.
    Whataboutery. If you want to talk about someone else's islamophobia, you should do it in the spirit of adding to the discussion in hand, not deflecting it. It doesn't defend Boris that someone in the world is worse than he is.

And for what it's worth, yes. You've successfully found OTHER examples of islamophobia. Islamophobia is widespread. All the more reason to join the fight and condemn it in all its manifestations. That means Boris (and any other whatabouteries you want to add to the list.)
    Is it phobic to ban or dislike KKK regalia? Those wearing it find it important to their beliefs. I find it disgusting and I find the belief that one race is superior to be disgusting and I'm prepared to call them out on it. That doesn't make me phobic and more than I'm prepared to call out the incredibly similar dehumanising, demeaning and misogynistic niqab.

You can have your beliefs all you want. Doesn't mean your beliefs aren't vile and shouldn't be called out, whether that be the KKK or the niqab or anything else that comparable that dehumanises people.
    Why are you talking about the KKK?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Surely you are either adherents of a faith or you are not, can you be part Muslim/Christian?
    As a Muslim, no. You are either Muslim or not.
    Anyone left to give a Christian view?
  • Options

If you believe all these governments are islamophobic, do you spend as much time attacking Merkel or Macron as you do Boris?

I think I have successfully shown that Boris (on this matter) is much more liberal than almost all the EU.

After all, I haven't yet got to the East where Victor Orban and Mateusz Morawiecki & Co are lurking with their emphasis on Christian Europe.

I have seen some discussion of antisemitism on here, and I don't recall people anyone being asked to follow up their condemnation of something antisemitic by having to condemn each individual act of antisemitism.
    You wouldn't do that, so why do you think it's right to do the same with Boris's islamophobia?
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

"part Muslim"? What, does he go to the mosque only on the first Friday of the month?

Boris's Turkish ancestry doesn't make a bit of difference. He's an islamophobe. You shouldn't be defending him, you should condemn him exactly the same as you would if he were attacking Jews.
    As far as I can see, Boris' attitude is more liberal than Macron's, who has banned the burqa and niqab in public spaces.

I'm aware of the content of Boris's article. It doesn't save him. Consider if someone wrote an article about Jews wearing the yarmulkah and comparing them with [something offensive, I'm not going there], but then said "oh but of course we shouldn't ban them", would you seriously be saying that this was all ok? I'm willing to bet not.
    I don't know much else about him, and don't intend to get into yet another tangent. Islamophobia is as wrong as antisemitism. Can't people see that? Can you all really not see it?
    For the more thoughtful sequel, Buddah’s a fat bastard, he should be condemned to death by OMing. Release the Flying Yogi’s!
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

That seems not to be a view shared by lots of Muslims
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2019
    viewcode said:

@Noo ludicrously compared the Niqab to the yarmulkah. That's like comparing somebody wearing a cross to somebody hanging someone on a cross.

The niqab is directly comparable to people wearing KKK regalia. A full body garment that is directed by beliefs rooted in dehumanising people and treating some people as less than others.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Noo said:

Noo said:

The yarmulkah is not illiberal, misogynist, offensive and wrong.

The niqab is.

Its more like saying you don't like KKK garbs which are directly comparable to the niqab.
    I'm sorry that this will be difficult for you to hear, but some women wear the niqab out of choice. It's not for you to tell them what they should or shouldn't wear, or to insult them for it. I regret that you have chosen consciously to say something directly islamophobic, with the KKK comparison. I will not engage with /you/ further on this subject because I have nothing kind to say to you.
    I'm sorry that this will be difficult for you to hear, but some women wear the niqab KKK regalia out of choice. It's not for you to tell them what they should or shouldn't wear, or to insult them for it. I regret that you have chosen consciously to say something directly islamophobic antisemitic, with the KKK yarmulkah comparison. I will not engage with /you/ further on this subject because I have nothing kind to say to you I am prepared to stand up to your bigotry and hatred.
  • Options

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Surely you are either adherents of a faith or you are not, can you be part Muslim/Christian?
    I can give a holistic view, Christianity and Islam share a relationship through the older Hebrew religion, so is there an argument neither is actually a unique religion but a sect of a bigger one?
  • Options
    Christ. I hadn't noticed that the witching hour was on us!
  • Options

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

You are either Christian or you are not. I believe the person who said "Boris is himself part Muslim through his Turkish great-grandfather" considered religion to be an ethnicity that can be inherited. A lot of people do think that (especially when it comes to children), although I don't think that's tenable for adults. Boris either believes in Christ as his savior and tries to act consistent with that belief, or he does not.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited September 2019
    Noo said:

If you believe all these governments are islamophobic, do you spend as much time attacking Merkel or Macron as you do Boris?

I think I have successfully shown that Boris (on this matter) is much more liberal than almost all the EU.

After all, I haven't yet got to the East where Victor Orban and Mateusz Morawiecki & Co are lurking with their emphasis on Christian Europe.

I have seen some discussion of antisemitism on here, and I don't recall people anyone being asked to follow up their condemnation of something antisemitic by having to condemn each individual act of antisemitism.
    You wouldn't do that, so why do you think it's right to do the same with Boris's islamophobia?
    You seem excessively judgmental about what people may discuss on a blog, with your shrill cries of Whataboutery.

As it happens, I don't believe Boris is an islamophobe.

And I don't believe Corby is an antisemite.
  • Options
    egg said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

I can give a holistic view, Christianity and Islam share a relationship through the older Hebrew religion, so is there an argument neither is actually a unique religion but a sect of a bigger one?
    That's a tough one this time of night, particularly for an atheist as I must confess to be.
  • Options

viewcode said:

@Noo ludicrously compared the Niqab to the yarmulkah. That's like comparing somebody wearing a cross to somebody hanging someone on a cross.

The niqab is directly comparable to people wearing KKK regalia. A full body garment that is directed by beliefs rooted in dehumanising people and treating some people as less than others.
    Ah I see, thank you.
  • Options
    egg said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed they are both Abrahamic faiths with many of the same prophets and much of the hatred and trouble both have inflicted upon the world over the last millenia has the same origins. The difference between Islam and Christianity is rather like the difference between Catholicism and Mormonism or the difference between Sunnis and Shiites but on a larger scale.
  • Options

Noo said:

You seem excessively judgmental about what people may discuss on a blog. with your shrill cries of Whataboutery.

As it happens, I don't believe Boris is an islamophobe.

And I don't believe Corby is an antisemite.
    You're a very trusting soul, for which you deserve commendation, but don't give out your phone number.
  • Options
    egg said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

It's an argument, yes. Not, I would venture to say, a successful one... :)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Not sure if this poll has been reported?

Express/OnePoll

Con 31% Lab 25% Lib-Dem 16% BXP 14% Con Lead 6%

Lots is interesting questions with the poll as well

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1175471/brexit-news-boris-johnson-EU-jeremy-corbyn-labour-tories

Thank you. I'm not familar with One Poll. The wording of the article suggests they haven't polled since at least the General Election. Though their figures are bang in the middle of this weekend's range so nothing obviously suspect about them.
  • Options

with your shrill cries of Whataboutery.

If someone points out something they think it wrong, and you say "but why aren't you condemning all these other people", that is the very essence of whataboutery. It's exactly what the term is meant to cover. You don't have to do it. You can just say that you disagree (which you have). Maybe we can't convince each other. But you were using a classic diversion tactic, and it's only right I point it out.

I will add that I think it tends to be done when people aren't secure in refuting a point but they also want that point to disappear. It's a fallacy derived from weakness.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

egg said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Philosophically I'd say its quite a successful one and it is the narcissism of small differences that leads to Christians and Muslims sometimes hating each other [or other sects of their own faith] rather than seeing just how much they have in common. Both Abrahamic faiths [and Judaism too] have far more in common with each other than they do with say Hinduism, or Aborigine beliefs, or Buddhism, or Graeco-Roman mythologies, or the Norse or . . . countless other variants of religions that humanity has invented over the millenia.

Indeed the way the Greek and Roman gods can get lumped together as Graeco-Roman gods . . . with Zeus being comparable to Jupiter, Poseidon to Nepture, Cronus to Saturn, Hades to Pluto etc is very comparable to the way the Abrahamic faiths have evolved in their creation.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

egg said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

My argument would sound like this. There are certainly sects within Islam and Christianity, with strong differences of view and fierce rivalry, at the same much similarity between Christianity and Islam and Judaism in how climate and fertility, and naked fear and hatred of women shaped them. For example, when the french government proposed rethink on Halal meat It brought Muslims and Jews together.

https://www.france24.com/en/20120305-fillon-france-kashrut-kosher-halal-jews-muslims-election

A further example is not forgetting how use of veils, for the same reason Islam claim to use them today is part of Christianity, for a long time, though a touch out of favour today.
    Could the change of attitude be related to growing freedom and status of women in Christian societies in stark contrast to the subjugation of women historically?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Boris hasn’t got anything to worry about - a recent PM started and illegal war based on lies and didn’t even get fined.

Why was it an illegal war?

What laws were broken?

I suspect I'll get the same answer when I ask these questions of the Corbynites.
    The argument is that it was a war of aggression and therefore contrary to the UN charter.

The legal justification was twofold. That Hussein was in breach of the security council resolution on disarming weapons of mass destruction, and that there was a humanitarian crisis.

I thought that the evidence was clear that he had actually disarmed, that the inspections had been effective. The humanitarian crisis was caused by sanctions.

There's a long record of Britain not taking international law as seriously as domestic law - ask the Chagos Islanders for example - and this distinction is not in Johnson's favour.
  • Options
    Noo said:

If someone points out something they think it wrong, and you say "but why aren't you condemning all these other people", that is the very essence of whataboutery. It's exactly what the term is meant to cover. You don't have to do it. You can just say that you disagree (which you have). Maybe we can't convince each other. But you were using a classic diversion tactic, and it's only right I point it out.

I will add that I think it tends to be done when people aren't secure in refuting a point but they also want that point to disappear. It's a fallacy derived from weakness.
    Its exactly what you are doing with your vile antisemitic attempts to equate the niqab with the yarmulkah. That is the definition of whataboutery.

Had you said the hijab you may have had a point, but if you think your whataboutery can make anyone with two brain cells to rub together think that the yarmulkah and the niqab are the same thing then you are barking up the wrong tree. You were the one lashing out with whataboutery while accusing others of the same thing - the niqab has literally nothing in common with the yarmulkah yet you tried to use whataboutery to make the comparable.

Disgusting antisemitism to equate a simple skullcap with a dehumanising full body covering.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Noo said:

I think you are going to be very busy if you feel you need to point out all the alleged logical fallacies, inconsistencies, whatabouteries, ad hominem attacks, ad hoc hypotheses, beggings of the question, epistemic commitments, equivocations, loaded questions, special pleadings, red herrings, improper analogies and tautologies that constitute a typical days postings on pb.com.

It is great to have you policing it all.
  • Options
    egg said:

viewcode said:

egg said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

My argument would sound like this. There are certainly sects within Islam and Christianity, with strong differences of view and fierce rivalry, at the same much similarity between Christianity and Islam and Judaism in how climate and fertility, and naked fear and hatred of women shaped them. For example, when the french government proposed rethink on Halal meat It brought Muslims and Jews together.

https://www.france24.com/en/20120305-fillon-france-kashrut-kosher-halal-jews-muslims-election

A further example is not forgetting how use of veils, for the same reason Islam claim to use them today is part of Christianity, for a long time, though a touch out of favour today.
    Could the change of attitude be related to growing freedom and status of women in Christian societies in stark contrast to the subjugation of women historically?
    Halal and Kosher are the same thing [minus differences about blessing, the restrictions on slaughter etc are the same]. That's because they've got the same Abrahamic origins. Halal is to Kosher as Venus is to Aphrodite.
  • Options
    The funny irony is of course while @Noo is trying to pretend the yarmulkah and niqab are comparable [they're of course not], because they've got the same origins what is comparable to the yarmulkah is the taqiyah in Islam.

If someone objected to the taqiyah but not the yarmulkah then that'd be strange - like if someone objects to halal but not kosher. But the whataboutery of trying to equate the niqab with the yarmulkah is nonsense. Its like equating halal with vegan - two very different things.
  • Options

Noo said:

Its exactly what you are doing with your vile antisemitic attempts to equate the niqab with the yarmulkah. That is the definition of whataboutery.

Had you said the hijab you may have had a point, but if you think your whataboutery can make anyone with two brain cells to rub together think that the yarmulkah and the niqab are the same thing then you are barking up the wrong tree. You were the one lashing out with whataboutery while accusing others of the same thing - the niqab has literally nothing in common with the yarmulkah yet you tried to use whataboutery to make the comparable.

Disgusting antisemitism to equate a simple skullcap with a dehumanising full body covering.
    How fucking dare you accuse me of antisemitism? I explicitly drew a parallel with the way people are attacked and dehumanised for what they wear. THIS IS THE LIVED EXPERIENCE OF BOTH JEWS AND MUSLIMS.
    My purpose for bringing it up the parallel is because they are exactly the same thing. Religions where some of its adherents wear clothing that identifies them as being of that religion. It is WRONG that anybody in those circumstances is attacked or insulted.
    The fact that you think I was attacking Jews by making that comparison speaks volumes for your attitudes. Jews and Muslims are equal and deserve equal protection from bigotry.
  • Options
    egg said:

So Boris is moving towards accepting the three months. If the courts say it’s a law you have to abide by it, although theoretically he has a decision to make, in reality he has to accept the courts decision. Also, at this moment today we know exactly what answer the court will give, don’t we?

So Overnight Boris becomes level pegging or worse with Labour because of support flouncing off to Farage.

In that circumstance does Boris still want an election? Because yet again in theory he might or might not, but in reality he has to have the election because changing his mind to a no would hole his confidence and poll ratings beneath the water line.

This is what I am claiming happens next, courts say it’s law, Boris abides by it, UK extends exit, Boris has to go to country despite reduced poll lead (possible deficit) a resurgent insurgent Brexit Party. What bit have I got wrong?

If Boris goes all the way to the courts trying to prevent the extension I don't think that Brexiteers will blame Boris or flounce to the Brexit Party as a result. Brexiteers aren't idiots, much as Remainers like to pretend we are, and can see what Parliament and the courts have done.

If you want to defeat Remainers in Parliament then voting Farage won't do that. Boris will need more MPs behind him to defeat the Remainers.
  • Options

The funny irony is of course while @Noo is trying to pretend the yarmulkah and niqab are comparable [they're of course not], because they've got the same origins what is comparable to the yarmulkah is the taqiyah in Islam.

If someone objected to the taqiyah but not the yarmulkah then that'd be strange - like if someone objects to halal but not kosher. But the whataboutery of trying to equate the niqab with the yarmulkah is nonsense. Its like equating halal with vegan - two very different things.

Stop @ ing me.
  • Options

viewcode said:

egg said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Philosophically I'd say its quite a successful one and it is the narcissism of small differences that leads to Christians and Muslims sometimes hating each other [or other sects of their own faith] rather than seeing just how much they have in common. Both Abrahamic faiths [and Judaism too] have far more in common with each other than they do with say Hinduism, or Aborigine beliefs, or Buddhism, or Graeco-Roman mythologies, or the Norse or . . . countless other variants of religions that humanity has invented over the millenia.

Indeed the way the Greek and Roman gods can get lumped together as Graeco-Roman gods . . . with Zeus being comparable to Jupiter, Poseidon to Nepture, Cronus to Saturn, Hades to Pluto etc is very comparable to the way the Abrahamic faiths have evolved in their creation.
    I like what you saying. But if you are lumping Greco Roman together, why not throw in the other pagan Gods of that ancient Arcadia and have a pan Euro Asian Pagan religion rather than Pagan religions?

Take the days of the week for example. In English a Sunday, a moonday, Tue (war God day) Woden day, Thor day, Freya (lady day), Saturn day. And compare to the days of the week in Roman for example war day, lady day and the rest match, and the Greek too, which suggests pagan europe all joined up long ago rather than stand alone pagan religion?
  • Options
    Noo said:

Noo said:

How fucking dare you accuse me of antisemitism? I explicitly drew a parallel with the way people are attacked and dehumanised for what they wear. THIS IS THE LIVED EXPERIENCE OF BOTH JEWS AND MUSLIMS.
    My purpose for bringing it up the parallel is because they are exactly the same thing. Religions where some of its adherents wear clothing that identifies them as being of that religion. It is WRONG that anybody in those circumstances is attacked or insulted.
    The fact that you think I was attacking Jews by making that comparison speaks volumes for your attitudes. Jews and Muslims are equal and deserve equal protection from bigotry.
    I dare accuse you of antisemitism because you compared pressuring women to cover their entire body up to wearing a cap on the skull.

Islam does not demand the niqab and if it did then it would be entirely appropriate to insult Islam for such a dehumanising demand. Just because preaches something nasty in the name of religion does not make it OK.

Absolutely Jews and Muslims are equally deserving of protection from bigotry. Including your bigoted equation of a skullcap with a full body covering.
  • Options

egg said:

If Boris goes all the way to the courts trying to prevent the extension I don't think that Brexiteers will blame Boris or flounce to the Brexit Party as a result. Brexiteers aren't idiots, much as Remainers like to pretend we are, and can see what Parliament and the courts have done.

If you want to defeat Remainers in Parliament then voting Farage won't do that. Boris will need more MPs behind him to defeat the Remainers.
    That’s a good answer! But let’s see what really happens after no brexit by that 31st, because any amount of support going to Farage in November due to lost faith and trust in Boris we agree could have big impact?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

If Boris goes all the way to the courts trying to prevent the extension I don't think that Brexiteers will blame Boris or flounce to the Brexit Party as a result.

They might not blame him, mostly, but it'll still weaken him.

BXP will also get some switchers just by the issue being foremost in the news. Given how narrow Johnson's electoral window is, I don't think he can afford that.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    egg said:

I like what you saying. But if you are lumping Greco Roman together, why not throw in the other pagan Gods of that ancient Arcadia and have a pan Euro Asian Pagan religion rather than Pagan religions?

Take the days of the week for example. In English a Sunday, a moonday, Tue (war God day) Woden day, Thor day, Freya (lady day), Saturn day. And compare to the days of the week in Roman for example war day, lady day and the rest match, and the Greek too, which suggests pagan europe all joined up long ago rather than stand alone pagan religion?

No religion is real or passed down by their mythical gods, all religions have been invented as stories by humanity and evolved through centuries or millenia of retold human stories. So absolutely you can throw in others together. The distinctions between them can be as arbitrary as trying to distinguish between historical European royal families as being distinct to each nation when they're really intermingled.

European pagan mythologies evolved largely together. Abrahamic religions evolved. The further apart [or more disruptive a change] the more the evolutions changed.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

If Boris goes all the way to the courts trying to prevent the extension I don't think that Brexiteers will blame Boris or flounce to the Brexit Party as a result.

They might not blame him, mostly, but it'll still weaken him.

BXP will also get some switchers just by the issue being foremost in the news. Given how narrow Johnson's electoral window is, I don't think he can afford that.
    We'll see. If foremost in the news is Remainers frustrating Boris it could drive people too Boris rather than away from him. Like how in 2017 Remainers were driven too Corbyn despite Corbyn himself not necessarily being that popular. Polarisation can have unexpected consequences.
  • Options

egg said:

viewcode said:

egg said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Halal and Kosher are the same thing [minus differences about blessing, the restrictions on slaughter etc are the same]. That's because they've got the same Abrahamic origins. Halal is to Kosher as Venus is to Aphrodite.
    And Halal and kosher related to hot climate, that same as speedy burials and not to eat ox you need for tillage and other work that is more vulnerable in hot climate than temperate or colder. The rituals practices and laws directed on societies by climate. Or not?
  • Options
    egg said:

And Halal and kosher related to hot climate, that same as speedy burials and not to eat ox you need for tillage and other work that is more vulnerable in hot climate than temperate or colder. The rituals practices and laws directed on societies by climate. Or not?

Precisely. Many of the rules made sense back then but don't necessarily now etc

All religion evolved as generation to generation of humans retelling rules and explanations as to how they see the world with storytelling mixed in.

Its a shame even intelligent people today can be so blinded by the myths of centuries ago and can read whatever zealotry, hate or bigotry they want into it, while some people can see the same myths from centuries ago and see a simple telling of how to live your life to the best of your ability.
  • Options

egg said:

No religion is real or passed down by their mythical gods, all religions have been invented as stories by humanity and evolved through centuries or millenia of retold human stories. So absolutely you can throw in others together. The distinctions between them can be as arbitrary as trying to distinguish between historical European royal families as being distinct to each nation when they're really intermingled.

European pagan mythologies evolved largely together. Abrahamic religions evolved. The further apart [or more disruptive a change] the more the evolutions changed.
    How far geographically are we taking the joined up euro pagan religions? Did the Persian days of the week match the sequence above? What about above the steppes? Or North Africa?
  • Options

egg said:

All religion evolved as generation to generation of humans retelling rules and explanations as to how they see the world with storytelling mixed in.

Its a shame even intelligent people today can be so blinded by the myths of centuries ago and can read whatever zealotry, hate or bigotry they want into it, while some people can see the same myths from centuries ago and see a simple telling of how to live your life to the best of your ability.
    Did the subjugation of women by these religions stem from a view of fertility being fragile?
  • Options
    egg said:

egg said:

How far geographically are we taking the joined up euro pagan religions? Did the Persian days of the week match the sequence above? What about above the steppes? Or North Africa?
    That's going beyond my knowledge I'm afraid. I do know those societies did interact and there are some shared elements of their mythologies that aren't shared with the mythologies that evolved further afield.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

Erm, if I’m Jeremy Corbyn and I’ve just got a “caretaker” Gvt in power (I think he’d be mad to for the reasons above) I’m going to want it to do more than extend. I’m probably going to want to lay the groundwork for a referendum, essentially doing all the Brexit stuff I don’t want to own, under the cover of political consensus.

Yup, better to do the whole thing: Actually *deliver Brexit*. (Unless the voters vote to cancel it in the confirmatory referendum)

Then Corbyn can fight an election on turf he's more comfortable with.
  • Options

viewcode said:

egg said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Not that it’s a game of oneupmanship, but one of those differences good for Islam for treating its scientists better than the Christian Church treated theirs.
  • Options
    egg said:

egg said:

Did the subjugation of women by these religions stem from a view of fertility being fragile?
    IMHO no. The subjugation of women came from arrogant men in organised religions getting away with what they could get away with. People have used organised religion to further their own agendas.

Historically women have frequently been treated far better than they can be by misogynists who think things like the niqab are anything less than misogyny. There were female priests in antiquity before the Catholic Church banned them.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    egg said:

Not that it’s a game of oneupmanship, but one of those differences good for Islam for treating its scientists better than the Christian Church treated theirs.

100% agreed.

Before the European Enlightenment I think there's a very good case to make that the Islamic world was more enlightened than the Christian one was. The problem is that since then Europe has evolved with the Enlightenment [though there remain many very unenlightened Christians] whereas much of Islam especially as endorsed by the Saudis has gone the opposite direction.

One area we've gone too far is in viewing all religion as equal or acceptable. Its not. All religion is a form of beliefs, and beliefs can be either good or dangerous. We shouldn't tar all with the same brush because they have the same name - but we should absolutely be prepared to call out beliefs that are unenlightened and inferior to our own.

In the same way I'd never compare all of the left to Pol Pot or Stalin and I'd never compare all of the right to Hitler or Mussolini. Some beliefs are good and some beliefs are bad whether they be political or religious. We should be prepared to stand up to extreme beliefs whether they be Nazis or Communists or extreme sects of Islam or Christianity.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "John McDonnell says any caretaker government of Britain must be led by Jeremy Corbyn if Boris Johnson is toppled by a no confidence vote"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7440319/John-McDonnell-says-caretaker-government-Britain-led-Jeremy-Corbyn.html
  • Options
    Yellow_SubmarineYellow_Submarine Posts: 647
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited September 2019
    kle4 said:

But wouldn't a Labour grandee make more sense? Clarke has accepted leaving the EU when the whole point of this is to facilitate remaining. It's a faint risk, but what if he tried to get a deal passed?

I think a Labour grandee is bad for the Team Corbyn because of the risk that they'll run off with the Labour Party, either with an actual leadership contest or just by de-facto marginalizing Corbyn.

You also don't want to have a LibDem or a Green as you'd be bigging up a competitor, so if it isn't Corbyn himself, you need either an ex-Tory or Sylvia Hermon.

There's one more benefit to running an ex-Con, which is that they not only cleave more voters away from the BXP-ified Tories, they may also be able to get more defectors, which is useful if the SNP or the LDs start playing silly buggers.

As far as the risk of Clarke trying to get the thing passed goes, I'd think of that as an opportunity rather than a risk. Get Brexit passed (or defeated), subject to a referendum, than have an election on territory Corbyn is more comfortable with.
  • Options
    KPMG predicts no-deal Brexit recession in 2020
    Accountancy giant forecasts GDP to shrink by 1.5% with business confidence badly dented

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/09/kpmg-predicts-no-deal-brexit-recession-in-2020
  • Options
    So where do we stand?

Johnson will block the delay bill getting the Royal Assent
    Johnson will ignore the bill
    Johnson will resign
    Johnson will refuse to write to the Eu

Johnson will write a second letter to the EU saying “ignore the first”

Am I caught up?
  • Options
    Peter Keller on the two tribes of populism:

http://www.deltapoll.co.uk/breaking-the-grip-2-2
  • Options

Re: next cabinet exit. If I was going to put money on it, Nicky Morgan feels like the one.

She last tweeted (on local matters) last night about the time Rudd quit. She was in the same group as Rudd who kicked off about the 21 expulsions, and was a similarly odd choice for the BJ cabinet.

I guess Julian Smith is another possible.

I reckon Mancock thinks all his Christmases have come at once by keeping his job so far. Having tweeted his loyalty today and been a bit more obvious than Rudd & Morgan in showing his love for BJ, I’d say he’s hanging around for now. That said, he’ll probably calculate at some point that doing so does his future chances more harm than good if Bozza starts breaking laws etc.

Anyone else (I’m assuming Shapps is in the same “all my christmases” boat?)

Is there anyone in British politics who has abased themselves more abjectly than Matt Hancock?
    Ross 'SNP gain' Thomson MP, he beats Hancock on the arslikhan of BJ stakes and he didn't even receive the tiniest bauble for it.
    You can still get a very generous 1/2 for an SNP gain in Aberdeen South. Bearing in mind the willingness of SLab voters to tactically back the SNP this time (and there are a heck of a lot of them in this formerly SLab seat), and the fact that Thomson has proven to be a bell-end of ginormous proportions, it looks like a fairly risk free 50% return on investment.
  • Options

So where do we stand?

Johnson will block the delay bill getting the Royal Assent
    Johnson will ignore the bill
    Johnson will resign
    Johnson will refuse to write to the Eu

Johnson will write a second letter to the EU saying “ignore the first”

Am I caught up?

You missed out: Frogs save Clown.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

I suddenly get the strange impression that a lot of the opposition to a Brexit deal, from certain quarters, is not because this or any Brexit deal is bad, but because it might not be so bad after all, and these people ultimately want Remain.

So a tolerable Brexit deal is the worse result of all, as these people want no Brexit at all.

Oodathunk

For the MPs who really want to stop Brexit the overwhelming goal is a second referendum. Obviously they'd like whatever the alternative to Remain is to be unpopular, but it's quite hard to tell which alternative would be most unpopular, as a harder brexit loses moderate appeal but gains leaver enthusiasm, and vice versa.

They're probably actually the easiest people to satisfy: Provided you give them the second referendum, they'll nod through whatever kind of brexit everyone else is agreed on.
  • Options

Statistical draw for Swinson really, but you'd think she'd be romping ahead with les femmes, especially since Ruth the hearthrob of the centrists is wiv da angels now.

https://twitter.com/KennyFarq/status/1170744021544833024?s=20

We continue to hear a lot of sledging on Ruth Davidson and how crap she is from Scottish Nationalists.

One has to wonder why.
    Because it’s true.

She was SCon leader for many years and totally failed to build anything remotely resembling a policy platform on which to win at Holyrood (her key task). Everyone knew what she was against, but nobody knew what she was for. Not even her. She was an horrific flip-flopper, forever switching position on a whim.

The Ruthie myth was entirely a media-sustained fantasy. She was absolutely crap at her job.

Feel free to believe the myth, but don’t expect many Scots to grieve over the loss of an almighty FM-to-be. She was never going to get anywhere near Bute House.

I expect the Brit Nat media to try the same trick with Vicky Pollard, but as she is a personality-free zone, and not even an MSP, it will be an uphill battle.

Why do the Unionist media need a woman front-figure? There are several reasons, not the least being that the men are all even worse. Murray being the honourable exception.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Against that, when Jo Johnson resigned, I could post here more than a dozen Conservative MPs who went to the same school, and there were a few I missed. Is that desirable? What the cure is, I don't know, but it cannot be healthy that a small group of schools dominates entry to politics (all parties), the media, the professions and even sport.

The abolition is pure marxism

Are you aware how much private schools save the public purse and the cost of abolishing them including new buildings, salary and pension costs, and the loss of foreign students studying in the UK

The cure is and always has been to improve state schools and work in cooperation with the private sector which does occur to some extent at present

There is not one advantage by abolishing them
    Surely if we make state schools as good as private schools, the private schools will go out of business, with the same cost to the public purse
    How much do you think it will cost to prohibit private schools

Ten of billions of new money from the taxpayer just to satisfy marxist dogma
    Much less than your suggestion of raising the quality of state schools to match private schools, is my point
    Yes, let's close our privatest common denominator.

Mrs Thatcher closed most grammar schools.
    The Wilson and Callaghan and Heath governments closed most actually, Thatcher as PM closed fewer than they did and grammar school attendance increased at the end of her premiership and under Major
    Mrs Thatcher was the Education Secretary in Heath's government.
    She had to follow Heath's orders though unlike when she was PM
    Maggie was “just following orders” was she?

I wonder who ordered her to put on that famous European flags suit and campaign hard for membership of the Brussels team?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Yes one of my mother's friends grandchildren have a Muslim mother and Christian father and have been brought up in both faiths
    Brought up in both is one thing but surely the tenets of the faiths preclude simultaneously believing in both.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    AndyJS said:

"John McDonnell says any caretaker government of Britain must be led by Jeremy Corbyn if Boris Johnson is toppled by a no confidence vote"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7440319/John-McDonnell-says-caretaker-government-Britain-led-Jeremy-Corbyn.html

So much for them coming around. Though as it happens I kind of agree with him. If people think no deal Boris must be stopped and his mps will perform the bulk of that stopping they can back him. If they wont I guess they arent that concerned with Boris and are, gasp, virtue signalling.
  • Options
    egg said:

viewcode said:

egg said:

nunuone said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

The English day names are just rough translations of the Latin although with a few deviations - compare the French.

The Lord's Day - Dominicus, Dimanche; Monday - Lundi; Tuesday - Mardi; Wednesday - Mercredi; Thursday - Jeudi; Friday - Vendredi; Saturday - Samedi, the Sabbath, Sabado in Spanish. I don't know what the Latin name is for Sunday that doesn't refer to the Lord. The Sabbath in Sabado etc is the Jewish Sabbath, Saturday.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Is it acceptable to post Islamophobic messages on this forum, such as the one below (and several others subsequent)? Or is this place a free for all?

http://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/2481252#Comment_2481252

I mean, comparing Muslims to the KKK, a group that persecutes and kills them, is not different from those who compare Jews to Nazis, which is correctly regarded in all mainstream circles as antisemitic. I'm struggling to believe it's accepted on these boards, but I don't see a code of conduct anywhere. I've heard that people have been banned from this place in past, so there must be some rules. Would be happy to know exactly what they are.

@rcs1000
    @MikeSmithson
  • Options

So now I understand. The wealthy only send Tarquin and Jemima to private schools out of the kindness of their hearts, so as to save the taxpayer the cost of educating the little darlings.

There are very many ordinary working people who send their children to private school making huge sacrifices. They would not class themselves as the left snear 'weathy'
    HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

HYUFD said:

ab195 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    Or at least long enough to best Boris' tenure as PM?

But wouldn't a Labour grandee make more sense? Clarke has accepted leaving the EU when the whole point of this is to facilitate remaining. It's a faint risk, but what if he tried to get a deal passed?
    We can assume he really would be doing what he thought best, because it absolutely would be the last act of his career. Wouldn’t surprise me if he had one last crack at achieving something. However look to his ministerial career - he enjoys confrontation and has never been a unifier.

There also has to be a Budget of some form, leading to a Finance Bill. I’m not sure Clarke’s new left wing supporters would enjoy his thinking on those things.

Put all that together and I don’t think a Clarke ministry, underwritten by Labour and with a Tory (likely Boris) opposition is a goer.
    Clarke would be PM for 2 months to extend until a general election in November and until the result is declared.

He would be a technocrat PM in all but name
    And therefore all of my post applies. Even if you’re a caretaker, the business of Government must go on and I think a Finance Bill is going to need to be introduced.
    Parliament would be suspended immediately post extension for the duration of the general election campaign so no.

I expect Clarke would spend most of his premiership watching jazz and birdwatching
    PM Clarke could advise the Queen to end the progoration early.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    I was really surprised that Pedley and Barissa were taken in by the report of the poll purporting to show that Britons "would rather have No Deal and no Corbyn". Clue: consider whether the SAME assumption was likely to have been entertained by respondents when considering both parts of the "dilemma".
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    alednam said:

I was really surprised that Pedley and Barissa were taken in by the report of the poll purporting to show that Britons "would rather have No Deal and no Corbyn". Clue: consider whether the SAME assumption was likely to have been entertained by respondents when considering both parts of the "dilemma".

SORRY: Barasi (not Barissa).
This discussion has been closed.