Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Case of the Missing Documents

167891012»

Comments

• Scott_P said:
    Aimed, surely, less at the rebels and more at the media and membership. The Government can portray it as an olive branch but who, honestly, is going to come crawling back after all that has happened? They'd only come back if allowed to vote as necessary to prevent No Deal.
    I agree it is mainly for the media and membership, and in addition it is to appease the Remainers in the PCP. However, not all of the 21 will have given up on their parliamentary careers as Conservatives and some of them may be looking for a way back.

In a scenario where the government resigns and seeks to force a VONC against a Corbyn government, it will help Johnson to be able to count on their votes, so the reference to their future voting pattern is a reminder to them. Those who did not vote against a Corbyn government even after the prospect of a no deal on 31st Oct had disappeared would of course be toast to the Conservatives.

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,112

eristdoof said:

If your asking! I found out this weekend, that to measure the geographical centre of the DDR, researchers at Leipzig Uni made a wooden cut out of the country and found the point where it balanced on a large needle. This is marked by a post in a wood in Fläming (Brandenburg) which I randomly happend to cycle past.

The DDR only had 2 islands of note which are both close to the mainland, so I'm guessing they included the water in between. The UK of course is very non-contiguous and would be difficult to find the centre using this method. I guess you would just have to use the boring method of a computer and some maths to calculate the centre.

The OS have a semi-official answer of somewhere in the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire:
    https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2014/08/where-is-the-centre-of-great-britain-2/
    Fascinating piece. Bur it's about GB not the UK, so we will have to remain agog ...
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Is Lord Nimmo-Smith a funny name for Dominic Cummings?
    I think it's fair to say DC isn't a former senior Scottish judge and pre-eminent expert on Scots law, unlike the good Lord. Can't imagine why Boris wants to see him.. probably just having a catch-up over a cuppa.
    Sorry, I was joking.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Poor old Tom Watson. From being the saviour of the Labour party he now cuts a rather isolated, Carl beech fantasy supporting figure.

It was quite funny this morning when he made his big attention seeking statement, and then 30 minutes later the judgement came down from the Court of Session.

Not even a footnote in history.
    He's actually steered the leadership quite a long way on this issue, and may yet steer them further.

I am not sure his latest statement is directed at the wider public so much as the Labour Party ahead of conference.

Not a great Watson fan in many ways (due to the Beech affair in particular). But he's been resilient and pretty effective as Deputy Leader.
    Don't jump too readily to conclusions in respect of the Beech affair. I know a number of other reliable sources who were as convinced as Watson that there was some fire creating the smoke.

If Watson was at fault it was perhaps in trusting to much in the integrity of the police investigation.
    There were many stories swirling around in the 1980s about political figures from all main parties and their epicurean romantic preferences. Alleged indiscretions by certain high profile figures were widespread in political social circles. Some of these figures have since been publicly exonerated simply because Beech lied about his own (false) associations with them.

I was party to several discussions by different people from different political backgrounds in different locations throughout the UK as to the peccadillos of one of the politicians who has been 'exonerated' post Beech. I would bet my boots that there was at least some foundation to that story.
  • Amazing how some people now get upset about the veracity of government.

Where were they when we were told that net annual immigration was being reduced to the 'tens of thousands' ?

Or when we were told that the government was 'paying down Britain's debts' ?

Or when we were told that the government had 'halved the bill' ?

Or when we were told there was a '70,000 strong' moderate army in Syria ?

Or when we were told that a year long recession would immediately follow a Leave vote ?

Have you been keeping records on people's outrage?

Or are you making stuff up to avoid having to concede the latest dishonesty by HMG?

For the record I'm also upset at the dishonesty of the government over badger culling. Where were you? Where were you...?
    As I said previously there's plenty more you can add to my lists of government mendacity.

And I've been saying so for years on PB as government follows government - the current lot are no more honest and I very much doubt the next one will be any different.

You could also tell which of the above statements you think I've 'made up'.
This discussion has been closed.