Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Case of the Missing Documents

Comments

• Would a patriot deliberately deceive the Queen?

Is there anyone Johnson wouldn't deceive in order to further his own aims?
    Brexiteers are not patriots. They are the utensils of Vladimir Putin
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    As I read on the recent demo.

"YOU WANTED BJ.
    SUCK IT UP!"

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,611

Scott_P said:
    One court has ruled that the action was not illegal. Another court has reached a different opinion. Both have allowed the Supreme Court to have the final word. Why not allow it to do so rather than relying on one opinion rather than the other to pass judgement in the meantime? Everything else is speculation for now.

As for No 10's comments, they are not without foundation. The practice they are drawing attention to is standard procedure in the US. Lawyers routinely refer national cases to federal courts with known tame judges which are judged most likely to reach a judgement in their favour, based on their past record. The case is then referred up the chain to the Supreme Court on appeal. It is accepted practice in the US, and as a consequence the decisions in the lower courts are of limited political consequence, because people are familiar with the game being played. That is particularly the case where different federal courts have reached contrary opinions on the same case.
    But in the US, that's different judges interpreting the same federal law. Even in State court cases which end up with SCOTUS, the state law is being tested against the US constitution.

In this case, it's one court interpreting English law, and one Scottish. And even when the UK Supreme Court hears them, they'll be testing the cases against their respective laws, not "the UK constitution".
    I doubt whether the UKSC will see fit to split hairs in the same way that Scottish nationalists assume that it should.
    That isn't 'splitting hairs' as you claim. That's a fundamental tenet of the Supreme Court's role – and is integral to the Act of Union and Scotland's and England's status as legally separate nations.

I'm surprised you don't grasp this.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Poll of polls, (average of those published in the last 10 days):

Con 32.8%, Lab 25.7%, LD 18.0%, BRX 12.8%, Greens 3.9%, SNP 3.9%.
  • BBC News: "It's mid-day; here are the main stories this morning"
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009

Would a patriot deliberately deceive the Queen?

Is there anyone Johnson wouldn't deceive in order to further his own aims?
    Dominic Cummings?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    GIN1138 said:

Wonder if @HYUFD is getting ready to lead a battalion up to Hadrians Wall? :D

I live north of Hadrian’s Wall and very much still in England so I hope not.
  • Look at the age splits. Farewell Northern Ireland ...
    https://twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/1171736621181526017
  • GIN1138 said:

Wonder if @HYUFD is getting ready to lead a battalion up to Hadrians Wall? :D

He would probably say he had to stay at home because he had a bad back. Solidarity bother/sister!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The thing is, the Queen and her people are not idiots. They knew what was going on, and there was even talk that they'd pushed back on what the government was asking for. I do not understand why courts have been hearing these cases. This is politics. Politicians use process for their own ends all the time.

Those MPs who do not like the current government have an obvious course of action for changing the government. It should be up to elected politicians, not judges, to sort this out.

Great, let parliament decide and vote on it.......ah but they are not allowed to sit! Next!
    At any time parliament could have passed a bill preventing the prorogation without a vote. But it didn't.
    But that isn't the issue. The court isn't saying that prorogation needs a Parliamentary vote. As I understand it, they are saying that it remains a prerogative power but one which was exercised for an improper purpose.

Personally, I'm not sure the Court of Session is correct, but they are applying existing law, and if that is in fact the correct interpretation of existing law, Parliament had no need to pass legislation on it.
    What I'm saying is that this should be left to Her Maj to decide (if you don't like that, get rid of the monarchy - but you'll need to win an election first).

As a general point, I don't particularly like laws where intent matters. I don't like the LBW law in cricket where it matters as to whether a batsmen was playing a shot or not. Similarly, I don't care what motives Boris had for calling a Queen's Speech. If it was in his gift to do so, then so be it.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,275
    edited September 2019

Parliament returns but is open only to MPs in Scottish seats?

I suggested this down thread. It is the obvious course of action for those who object to Scottish courts having extraterritorial jurisdiction.

Would be amusing at the every least.

We'd probably be better off with an SNP government TBH!
    Presumably their action list would be:

1. VoNC Boris
    2. Put Blackford in as PM
    3. Revoke A50
    4. Pass a Scottish Independence Act.

(The HoL might hold them up on step 4. though.)
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited September 2019
    As the nation holds its breath to learn of the Lord Chancellor’s view......we get:

https://twitter.com/RobertBuckland/status/1171737006688362496?s=20
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,611
    148grss said:

Scott_P said:
    One court has ruled that the action was not illegal. Another court has reached a different opinion. Both have allowed the Supreme Court to have the final word. Why not allow it to do so rather than relying on one opinion rather than the other to pass judgement in the meantime? Everything else is speculation for now.

As for No 10's comments, they are not without foundation. The practice they are drawing attention to is standard procedure in the US. Lawyers routinely refer national cases to federal courts with known tame judges which are judged most likely to reach a judgement in their favour, based on their past record. The case is then referred up the chain to the Supreme Court on appeal. It is accepted practice in the US, and as a consequence the decisions in the lower courts are of limited political consequence, because people are familiar with the game being played. That is particularly the case where different federal courts have reached contrary opinions on the same case.
    Wait, the Supreme Court doesn't have the competency to apply laws of other legal jurisdictions to judgements in Scotland.

Its role in this case is simply to check that Scots Law was a properly applied.

People need to understand this.
    Yeah, the difference in the US is there is one overarching federal legal framework; in the UK there is Scottish Law, English Law and Northern Irish Law. The Supreme Court is fluent in all 3 and must judge cases brought in those jurisdictions against the individual traditions and precedents. There is no one overarching UK law.
    Spot on.
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Scott_P said:

But in the US, that's different judges interpreting the same federal law. Even in State court cases which end up with SCOTUS, the state law is being tested against the US constitution.

In this case, it's one court interpreting English law, and one Scottish. And even when the UK Supreme Court hears them, they'll be testing the cases against their respective laws, not "the UK constitution".
    I doubt whether the UKSC will see fit to split hairs in the same way that Scottish nationalists assume that it should.
    Since we are talking about the UKSC in its form as the final interpreter of Scottish Civil Law we should refer to it under its Gaelic name: An Àrd-Chùirt….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_Kingdom
  • BBC News: "It's mid-day; here are the main stories this morning"

I suppose they are technically correct as they were the stories this morning, as in the past tense.
  • WTF is going on, said everyone....

Will just Scottish MPs sit in parliament?!

I didn't have high hopes for Boris but this shambles is beyond all expectations of incompetence.

Has to be an election sooner rather than later, one way or another, right?

As the nation holds its breath to learn of the Lord Chancellor’s view......we get:

Hello darkness my old friend...
  • Look at the age splits. Farewell Northern Ireland ...

Good old Brexiteers! Take back control of a disunited Kingdom! What a bunch of morons they are, they have wrecked the UK.

Look at the age splits. Farewell Northern Ireland ...

If they want to leave the UK, so be it. Same with Scotland. Where did the idea come from that the English want to "hold on" to Scotland and NI?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    The last thing Grieve wants is for Johnson to resign right now.

Perhaps he has threatened Johnson with resignation unless he sacks Cummings (or whoever attacked the judges) and is waiting on his response. Living in hope.
  • tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The thing is, the Queen and her people are not idiots. They knew what was going on, and there was even talk that they'd pushed back on what the government was asking for. I do not understand why courts have been hearing these cases. This is politics. Politicians use process for their own ends all the time.

Those MPs who do not like the current government have an obvious course of action for changing the government. It should be up to elected politicians, not judges, to sort this out.

Great, let parliament decide and vote on it.......ah but they are not allowed to sit! Next!
    At any time parliament could have passed a bill preventing the prorogation without a vote. But it didn't.
    Is that really the case? I dont see why not, but then why didnt they do so?
    The current Speaker of the Commons has been rather accommodating to parliament so I think they could have done so.
    https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2019/08/29/threat-of-prorogation-what-can-the-commons-do/

Sounds like the answer like most of political questions in 2019 is maybe! The speaker would be key so it would have certainly have been plausible, and that parliamentarians didnt even seem to initiate an attempt to do this does give your argument considerable weight.
  • Roger said:

"YOU WANTED BJ.
    SUCK IT UP!"

That’s on a (ahem) different website.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    The whole government will resign I would have thought.

Who knows if anyone else manages to go into government then.
  • GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    Brexit Parties down to 45%. And that was before the party of law & order discovered they'd elected a lying crook
    You're actually going to spin a 14% Con lead as good news for REMAIN? :D
    You can look at it both ways. The Con share is down compared with Kantar's last poll.

On the other hand, the last Kantar poll was the only one they had produced for several months and as a one off the 14% lead then could in part be ascribed to sampling error with the expectation that the lead would revert more closely to the mean in the next sample. Now that they have produced another with the same lead, it's harder to make the argument that the Con lead (as opposed to the Con share) was down to sample variation as opposed to house effects.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    AndyJS said:
    Hmm. Kantar showed the Tories at 42% three weeks ago.

Obviously there is a large persistent difference from other pollsters.
    edited September 2019
    Cummings said: go and talk to some people who aren't rich remainers.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,145
    JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

Since we are talking about the UKSC in its form as the final interpreter of Scottish Civil Law we should refer to it under its Gaelic name: An Àrd-Chùirt….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_Kingdom
    And Scots, of course: the Heich Court ...

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

The current Speaker of the Commons has been rather accommodating to parliament so I think they could have done so.
    https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2019/08/29/threat-of-prorogation-what-can-the-commons-do/

Sounds like the answer like most of political questions in 2019 is maybe! The speaker would be key so it would have certainly have been plausible, and that parliamentarians didnt even seem to initiate an attempt to do this does give your argument considerable weight.
    It's almost as though the opposition wanted the government to prorogue parliament...
    AndyJS said:

If they want to leave the UK, so be it. Same with Scotland. Where did the idea come from that the English want to "hold on" to Scotland and NI?
    Its an extraordinary failing of the Conservative and Unionist Party and perhaps some self reflection by the English Nats about why the other parts of the UK want to leave would be in order.
    Pulpstar said:

Why?
  • AndyJS said:

Why does the government not have a policy of neutrality on the union? There is no mainstream party in England that doesn’t adopt a unionist position.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

Would a patriot deliberately deceive the Queen?

I'm afraid to say that this has entitlement and us vs them written all over it. Hatched by Cummings no doubt and endorsed enthusiastically by his OE acolytes it simply looks as though they had enough disdain of the plebs so as not to care and that they would giggle and brazen (and lounge) their way through it.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

I suggested this down thread. It is the obvious course of action for those who object to Scottish courts having extraterritorial jurisdiction.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I personally believe it would take an Act of Parliament (ie passed by both houses or under the Parliament Act) to fetter the Royal Prerogative of prorogation. My dim memory of constitutional law at law school suggests De Kaiser’s Royal Hotel would be authority for that.
    JonathanD said:

AndyJS said:

Its an extraordinary failing of the Conservative and Unionist Party and perhaps some self reflection by the English Nats about why the other parts of the UK want to leave would be in order.
    Indeed. The whole period of 2012-2014 shows that the English - or at least their reps in Westminster - want to hold on to Scotland. Not so much the English populace, according to polls not so long ago, especially if it gets in the way of Brexit etc. |Which is another reason why confirmation of the Scots court decision,l and of the English one, will have some very interesting political impacts.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

Three judges just ruled it is...
    They’re wrong.
    If the Scottish courts have indeed just made a ruling, the consequences of which are entirely unclear and result in lawyers arguing amongst themselves as to how it should be interpreted, can't we at least agree on one point from across the Brexit divide?

Namely that the Scottish courts are every bit as cr*p as their football team.
    Careful: you’ll upset the nationalists.
    We expect moronic comments like that from xenophobic unionist knuckle draggers.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    Scott_P said:
    A quote from Attwood in that interview:
    "Well, if you don't have parliament you're cooked, because you will have a dictatorship" ... "If that's what you want go ahead. You won't like it!"
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Why?
    He'll either have the choice of backing Corbyn or facing an immediate General Election after which he's lost all power in the House.
  • DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I personally believe it would take an Act of Parliament (ie passed by both houses or under the Parliament Act) to fetter the Royal Prerogative of prorogation. My dim memory of constitutional law at law school suggests De Kaiser’s Royal Hotel would be authority for that.
    You say De Kaiser; I say De Keyser.
  • Observing this government's death is almost getting revolting. It is like watching a medieval execution where the victim is kept alive to see his own organs and entrails slowly removed. The Executive is being slowly executed.
  • AndyJS said:

Why does the government not have a policy of neutrality on the union? There is no mainstream party in England that doesn’t adopt a unionist position.
    Green Party?
    Chris said:

AndyJS said:

Second pollster in a few days to give the Tories a 14% lead. I don't believe they're really ahead by that much.

WTF is going on, said everyone....

Will just Scottish MPs sit in parliament?!

I didn't have high hopes for Boris but this shambles is beyond all expectations of incompetence.

Has to be an election sooner rather than later, one way or another, right?

Soon as Jezza comes out from behind the sofa we can get on with it...

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

You say De Kaiser; I say De Keyser.
    Like I say - a dim memory! TBF I probably made the same mistake in the exam though
  • GIN1138 said:

The whole government will resign I would have thought.

Who knows if anyone else manages to go into government then.
    Ed Davey on BBC New just now pushing this line hard - misled the Queen, causing chaos, the British don't behave this way etc etc.

Lets see if that will cut though with middle England.
    edited September 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    Brexit Parties down to 45%. And that was before the party of law & order discovered they'd elected a lying crook
    You surely don't think the blue rinses are going to stay loyal now that Boris has been caught telling their Queen porkies?
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

That is because Scots law is different to English law and takes a different approach to its interpretation of constitutional law.

Christ, why can't No 10 talk to its Attorney-General or Solicitor-General before coming out with rubbish like this.
    Scottish courts and judges should stick to their jurisdiction - Scotland.

Perhaps this Scottish Court has unintentionally (or, perhaps, intentionally) made Scottish independence inevitable.
    By the same argument, Enbglish courts should stick to England and have nothing to do with pan-UK organizations such as the Westminster Parliament. (I do know Mr Johnson called it the English Parliament recently, but legallfy it hasn't regressed that far, EVEL notwithstanding). That would leave UKSC the only court dealing with Parliament, would it not?
    Some ignorant morons on here who cannot understand that England does not equal UK
    Carnyx said:

JonathanD said:

AndyJS said:

Indeed. The whole period of 2012-2014 shows that the English - or at least their reps in Westminster - want to hold on to Scotland. Not so much the English populace, according to polls not so long ago, especially if it gets in the way of Brexit etc. |Which is another reason why confirmation of the Scots court decision,l and of the English one, will have some very interesting political impacts.
    Why do you say the English want to hold onto Scotland?
  • I fully expect this decision to be overturned in the SC for the reasons given by Lord Sumption on Newsnight. Proroguing for a new Queen's speech is legal and part of our constitution;of course there will be various political reasons for a Government to ask HM to do so some of which may be construed as "good" and some "bad" depending on your political viewpoint.A court cannot intervene to determine which it considers good and which not good as otherwise it would continually be intervening in executive political decisions.Pretty simple really.
  • malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

But it’s not illegal.

Three judges just ruled it is...
    They’re wrong.
    If the Scottish courts have indeed just made a ruling, the consequences of which are entirely unclear and result in lawyers arguing amongst themselves as to how it should be interpreted, can't we at least agree on one point from across the Brexit divide?

Namely that the Scottish courts are every bit as cr*p as their football team.
    Careful: you’ll upset the nationalists.
    We expect moronic comments like that from xenophobic unionist knuckle draggers.
    Far be it for me to defend Casino Royale, but that is a bit rich coming from a nationalist. Nationalism of any stripe a philosophy that has xenophobia, hatred of others and parochialism at its core.
    AndyJS said:

What about rich leavers?

Observing this government's death is almost getting revolting. It is like watching a medieval execution where the victim is kept alive to see his own organs and entrails slowly removed. The Executive is being slowly executed.

And yet we've just had an opinion poll giving this government a 14% lead which in an election would translate to a majority of nearly 150 seats?
    AndyJS said:

Carnyx said:

JonathanD said:

AndyJS said:

Why do you say the English want to hold onto Scotland?
    I don't - their politicians do.
    Carnyx said:

JonathanD said:

AndyJS said:

Except its not even a case of the English wanting to keep a hold of Scotland. Its bonds of family and history tying us together and which have resulted in plenty of people having a British or UK identity. The UK is full of people who might have been born in Wales, married someone from Scotland, whose kids were born in England and who are now living in Northern Ireland. Too much us and them in nationalism.
    "Trudeau will trigger Canadian election, setting up battle for his political survival"

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/10/justin-trudeau-canadian-election-survival-1712761
    GIN1138 said:

Observing this government's death is almost getting revolting. It is like watching a medieval execution where the victim is kept alive to see his own organs and entrails slowly removed. The Executive is being slowly executed.

And yet we've just had an opinion poll giving this government a 14% lead which in an election would translate to a majority of nearly 150 seats?
    An inconvenient fact which explains why the opposition don't want an election.
    AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

An inconvenient fact which explains why the opposition don't want an election.
    We’ve also had polling saying the exact opposite.
  • I fully expect this decision to be overturned in the SC for the reasons given by Lord Sumption on Newsnight. Proroguing for a new Queen's speech is legal and part of our constitution;of course there will be various political reasons for a Government to ask HM to do so some of which may be construed as "good" and some "bad" depending on your political viewpoint.A court cannot intervene to determine which it considers good and which not good as otherwise it would continually be intervening in executive political decisions.Pretty simple really.

It is very unlikely the court is doing that. It is not a political decision it will be based on points of legal interpretation. Three judges are not going to open themselves up to the suggestion of political bias from their peers. They know they will have to endure that from the uninformed, but that goes with the territory.
    How is Corbyn ever going to turn the media's attention away from Lying Loser Boris's accusations that he, Jezza, is frit?

:wink:
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,081

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    You can look at it both ways. The Con share is down compared with Kantar's last poll.

On the other hand, the last Kantar poll was the only one they had produced for several months and as a one off the 14% lead then could in part be ascribed to sampling error with the expectation that the lead would revert more closely to the mean in the next sample. Now that they have produced another with the same lead, it's harder to make the argument that the Con lead (as opposed to the Con share) was down to sample variation as opposed to house effects.
    It depends heavily on how the 53% vote for Remain (including Labour) falls.

I fully expect this decision to be overturned in the SC for the reasons given by Lord Sumption on Newsnight. Proroguing for a new Queen's speech is legal and part of our constitution;of course there will be various political reasons for a Government to ask HM to do so some of which may be construed as "good" and some "bad" depending on your political viewpoint.A court cannot intervene to determine which it considers good and which not good as otherwise it would continually be intervening in executive political decisions.Pretty simple really.

Agree. At the end of the day there's no way, short of getting Cummings, Johnson, Mogg, etc to tell the truth, to prove it was otherwise. Except it seems there was documentation which showed that the Queen's speech ruse was just that. Proroguing is not illegal. Lying about the reasons why proroguing happened appears to be.

I fully expect this decision to be overturned in the SC for the reasons given by Lord Sumption on Newsnight. Proroguing for a new Queen's speech is legal and part of our constitution;of course there will be various political reasons for a Government to ask HM to do so some of which may be construed as "good" and some "bad" depending on your political viewpoint.A court cannot intervene to determine which it considers good and which not good as otherwise it would continually be intervening in executive political decisions.Pretty simple really.

That’s not what the judgment says. It says that the basis for the prorogation was not for the Queen’s Speech, but to prevent parliamentary oversight of the executive, which is unlawful. If the UKSC disagrees then so be it but this judgment expressly says that the reason you recite for the prorogation was not the true one.
    JonathanD said:

Carnyx said:

JonathanD said:

AndyJS said:

Except its not even a case of the English wanting to keep a hold of Scotland. Its bonds of family and history tying us together and which have resulted in plenty of people having a British or UK identity. The UK is full of people who might have been born in Wales, married someone from Scotland, whose kids were born in England and who are now living in Northern Ireland. Too much us and them in nationalism.
    So? Exacty the same could be said about (the rest of) Ireland, Canada, NZ, etc. before and after independence. T
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited September 2019

If the government's omission of the witness documents are for the reasons some have speculated on, it may not be sharing your confidence.
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

That is because Scots law is different to English law and takes a different approach to its interpretation of constitutional law.

Christ, why can't No 10 talk to its Attorney-General or Solicitor-General before coming out with rubbish like this.
    Scottish courts and judges should stick to their jurisdiction - Scotland.

Perhaps this Scottish Court has unintentionally (or, perhaps, intentionally) made Scottish independence inevitable.
    By the same argument, Enbglish courts should stick to England and have nothing to do with pan-UK organizations such as the Westminster Parliament. (I do know Mr Johnson called it the English Parliament recently, but legallfy it hasn't regressed that far, EVEL notwithstanding). That would leave UKSC the only court dealing with Parliament, would it not?
    Some ignorant morons on here who cannot understand that England does not equal UK
    Where's Ming Campbell when you need him?
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    AndyJS said:

Well I think the Conservative & Unionst party is supposed to
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

Roger said:

"YOU WANTED BJ.
    SUCK IT UP!"

You've got time to read more than one?
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    GIN1138 said:

lol - I very much doubt that will happen. It is the ground game that counts and the opposition parties have a tremendous advantage in numbers, motivation etc...
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Grounds for Brenda to fire Boris? Historically, ministries had to have the confidence
    of Parliament and the Crown. The latter has become a dead letter as in effect the ministry is the Crown for almost all practical purposes, but it is based on the assumption that ministers are actually telling the Queen the truth when advising her on exercising her prerogative powers.
  • Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    You surely don't think the blue rinses are going to stay loyal now that Boris has been caught telling their Queen porkies?
    What "porkies" did Boris tell the Queen ? This is highly defamatory .
  • GIN1138 said:

As I say, observe Zimbabwe. Having the largest number of supporters does not always demonstrate purity or legitimacy. Besides those numbers will most probably change. People don't like corrupt government as a whole.
    edited September 2019
    The depressing thing is you could see that this Culture War was likely to arrive here from the United States about 20 years ago. It was always going to take a long time to migrate across the Atlantic but was inevitably going to do so eventually. Politicians and judges at loggerheads for example. Identity politics, etc.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,574

I fully expect this decision to be overturned in the SC for the reasons given by Lord Sumption on Newsnight. Proroguing for a new Queen's speech is legal and part of our constitution....

The court fully acknowledges that, but went on to rule that the principal purpose of this particular prorogation, on the evidence before it, was to frustrate Parliament.

GIN1138 said:

lol - I very much doubt that will happen. It is the ground game that counts and the opposition parties have a tremendous advantage in numbers, motivation etc...
    OK so the Opposition will get on with it then?

Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    LOL read the judgement.
    Advice to Boris and Cummings: next time, don't write it all down.
  • Scott_P said:

That isn't 'splitting hairs' as you claim. That's a fundamental tenet of the Supreme Court's role – and is integral to the Act of Union and Scotland's and England's status as legally separate nations.

Argue it as you like. But I am sure that the UKSC will not in any circumstances reach a judgement that an action in respect of a parliament governing the whole of the UK was legal under English law and illegal under Scottish law.

With your "I'm surprised you don't grasp this" you descended into snide asides so forgive me if I don't bother responding further to you.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Chris said:

iirc Kantar is one of those that doesn't prompt for BXP, and 7% in this poll does look unusually low. Other pollsters have them around 13%ish.

Of course, nobody really knows how that split would play out in a general election.

• Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    The SC will decide.
    The full statement of the court explaining its judgment (not the full judgment itself);

The Inner House of the Court of Session has ruled that the Prime Minister’s advice to HM the Queen that the United Kingdom Parliament should be prorogued from a day between 9 and 12 September until 14 October was unlawful because it had the purpose of stymying Parliament.

A petition for judicial review was raised by 79 petitioners, 78 of whom are parliamentarians at Westminster, on 31 July 2019, seeking inter alia declarator that it would be unlawful for the UK Government to advise HM the Queen to prorogue the UK Parliament with a view to preventing sufficient time for proper consideration of the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union (Brexit).

A substantive hearing was fixed for Friday, 6 September, but on 28 August, on the advice of the Prime Minister, HM the Queen promulgated an Order in Council proroguing Parliament on a day between 9 and 12 September until 14 October. The Lord Ordinary (the judge hearing the case at first instance) refused to grant interim orders preventing the prorogation, but brought the substantive hearing forward to Tuesday, 3 September. On the eve of the hearing, in obedience of its duty of candour, the respondent lodged some partially redacted documents exhibiting some of the Government’s deliberations regarding prorogation, going back to 15 August.

The Lord Ordinary dismissed the petition. He found that the PM’s advice to HM the Queen on prorogation was, as a matter of high policy and political judgment, non-justiciable; the decision to proffer the advice was not able to be assessed against legal standards by the courts...

contd.
  • Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    Have you read the Scottish Court remarks?
    Hmm I don't think my Scottish ancestry is... quite close enough to get a Scottish passport in the case of independence. I think my mother is though...

Roger said:

GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

AndyJS said:
    The court held that he misled the Queen as to the reasons for the prorogation. It held that he did it, not to prepare for the Queen’s Speech, but rather to prevent parliamentary oversight of the executive
    edited September 2019
    Contd.
    ...The reclaiming motion (appeal) was heard by the First Division of the Court of Session over 5 and 6 September. Parliament was prorogued in the early hours of Tuesday, 10 September.

All three First Division judges have decided that the PM’s advice to the HM the Queen is justiciable, that it was motivated by the improper purpose of stymying Parliament and that it, and what has followed from it, is unlawful.

The Lord President, Lord Carloway, decided that although advice to HM the Queen on the exercise of the royal prerogative of prorogating Parliament was not reviewable on the normal grounds of judicial review, it would nevertheless be unlawful if its purpose was to stymie parliamentary scrutiny of the executive, which was a central pillar of the good governance principle enshrined in the constitution; this followed from the principles of democracy and the rule of law. The circumstances in which the advice was proffered and the content of the documents produced by the respondent demonstrated that this was the true reason for the prorogation.

Lord Brodie considered that whereas when the petition was raised the question was unlikely to have been justiciable, the particular prorogation that had occurred, as a tactic to frustrate Parliament, could legitimately be established as unlawful. This was an egregious case of a clear failure to comply with generally accepted standards of behaviour of public authorities. It was to be inferred that the principal reasons for the prorogation were to prevent or impede Parliament holding the executive to account and legislating with regard to Brexit, and to allow the executive to pursue a policy of a no deal Brexit without further Parliamentary interference.

Lord Drummond Young determined that the courts have jurisdiction to decide whether any power, under the prerogative or otherwise, has been legally exercised. It was incumbent on the UK Government to show a valid reason for the prorogation, having regard to the fundamental constitutional importance of parliamentary scrutiny of executive action. The circumstances, particularly the length of the prorogation, showed that the purpose was to prevent such scrutiny. The documents provided showed no other explanation for this. The only inference that could be drawn was that the UK Government and the Prime Minister wished to restrict Parliament.

The Court also decided that it should not require disclosure of the unredacted versions of the documents lodged by the respondent.

The Court will accordingly make an Order declaring that the Prime Minister’s advice to HM the Queen and the prorogation which followed thereon was unlawful and is thus null and of no effect.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Roger said:

"YOU WANTED BJ.
    SUCK IT UP!"

Somethings are hard to swallow! :wink:
    edited September 2019
    rpjs said:

Grounds for Brenda to fire Boris? Historically, ministries had to have the confidence
    of Parliament and the Crown. The latter has become a dead letter as in effect the ministry is the Crown for almost all practical purposes, but it is based on the assumption that ministers are actually telling the Queen the truth when advising her on exercising her prerogative powers.

HMQ does not "fire" her Prime Minister.

But if the supreme court finds the PM has acted unlawfully in the advice he has given her then of course his position and that of his government would be untennable.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    https://twitter.com/tweeting_keith/status/1171743240015482880?s=19

"Boris lies to the Queen" could have cut-through.

Incidentally has the Lord Chancellor publicly condemned No 10's attack o the Scottish judges for doing their job, as he is legally obliged to do?

And if not why not?
  • AndyJS said:

Advice to Boris and Cummings: next time, don't write it all down.

The UK system seems increasingly designed to promote sofa government as practised by Blair.
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm I don't think my Scottish ancestry is... quite close enough to get a Scottish passport in the case of independence. I think my mother is though...

Have a look at the 2014 Independence proposals document which gives SNP thinking on the matter, at least then.
  • AndyJS said:

What about rich leavers?
    The cabinet are too busy discussing their scheming and wheezes to have time to talk to anyone!
    edited September 2019
    Solution to several issues at once - reconvene the UK parliament in Edinburgh.

Addresses: widespread distaste among voters for Westminster; unlawful prorogation; London-centricity; feeling that Scotland is ruled from 'abroad'; issues with the fabric of the Houses of Parliament; congestion around Parliament Square.... Plus lots more no doubt.
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Why isn't it possible for judges to be politically biased?
    It is the whole point of our system
  • GIN1138 said:

rpjs said:

HMQ does not "fire" her Prime Minister.

But if the supreme country finds the PM has acted unlawfully in the advice he has given her then of course his position and that of his government would be untennable.
    Not since the Governor-General (who is sort-of the Queen) sacked the Australian Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    edited September 2019
    JonathanD said:

Carnyx said:

JonathanD said:

AndyJS said:

You're quite right; there's a lot of mixing. Isn't Mr G's wife a Scot?

My sister was born in Wales, married an Englishman of part-Russian ancestry, moved to Scotland and had three children, but now lives in the last remnants of the Duchy of Normandy. One of her children still lives in Scotland, the other two are now in England. One's married to an Ulsterman; their children were, IIRC, born in the UAE.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    CatMan said:

AndyJS said:

Well I think the Conservative & Unionst party is supposed to
    It used to. But not if it costs them their no deal.

Scott_P said:

Argue it as you like. But I am sure that the UKSC will not in any circumstances reach a judgement that an action in respect of a parliament governing the whole of the UK was legal under English law and illegal under Scottish law.

With your "I'm surprised you don't grasp this" you descended into snide asides so forgive me if I don't bother responding further to you.
    Not necessarily in this case - but given the different foundations of government and sovereignty in England&Wales and in Scotland (different acts of different dates, different constitutional principles and precedents) I would have thought that such a conflict is a priori entirely possible while conforming entirely correctly to each legal system.
    Could the Queen be asked to give evidence? Did she directly ask JRM why the government was seeking to have a Queen's Speech?
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

But that isn't the issue. The court isn't saying that prorogation needs a Parliamentary vote. As I understand it, they are saying that it remains a prerogative power but one which was exercised for an improper purpose.

Personally, I'm not sure the Court of Session is correct, but they are applying existing law, and if that is in fact the correct interpretation of existing law, Parliament had no need to pass legislation on it.
    What I'm saying is that this should be left to Her Maj to decide (if you don't like that, get rid of the monarchy - but you'll need to win an election first).

As a general point, I don't particularly like laws where intent matters. I don't like the LBW law in cricket where it matters as to whether a batsmen was playing a shot or not. Similarly, I don't care what motives Boris had for calling a Queen's Speech. If it was in his gift to do so, then so be it.
    Even worse in the LBW rule the intent of playing a shot only matters if the ball hits the batsman outside off stump. The problem here is that against spin bowlers lots of batsmen will bring the bat down behind the front leg only pretending that they are playing a shot.

What I dislike the most is the leg bye rule where your team only get runs if you intended to hit the ball. Either all leg byes should be disallowed or allowed even if no shot was intended.
This discussion has been closed.