Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the eve of the Lib Dem conference defection speculation goe

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited September 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the eve of the Lib Dem conference defection speculation goes in to overdrive

Hearing rumours of another defection from @UKLabour to Lib Dems. If true, surprise. Bad news for what it represents.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    They've been spacing out defections, it'd be pretty cool to get a bunch all at once to showinc increasing momentum.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

David Cameron 'Johnson and Gove behaved appallingly'.. 'Mr Cameron - who was prime minister between 2010 and 2016 - said Mr Johnson, Mr Gove, Penny Mordaunt and Priti Patel had "left the truth at home" on the referendum campaign trail, especially when it came to immigration.'

"I think we can get to a situation where we leave but we are friends, neighbours and partners. We can get there, but I wouleither do I think a no-deal Brexit is a good idea."

However Cameron had warmer words for his successor as PM, Theresa May praising her for her "phenomenal" work rate and her "ethos of public service", even if he was not unquestioning of her strategy.

"I remember frequently texting [Mrs May] about the frustration of getting a Brexit deal and then seeing Brexiteers vote it down possibly at the risk of the whole project they had devoted themselves to," said Mr Cameron. "Maddening and infuriating
    "There's an argument that Brexit is just impossible to deliver and no one could have done, and there's an argument that, well, wrong choices were made. This is somewhere in between."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49690618

Dissing Boris and praising May - I assume you think he is not really a Conservative?
    Where have I said that? I campening and Gyimah and Lee.
    Yes, but you shift on a dime depending on what the Tory policy of the present is, which is why I framed it as a question. Being against no deal, and being against the great Boris, is now enough for you to say MPs should be deselected and indeed kicked out of the party. So why wouldn't I assume it follows that since Cameron doesn't think no deal Brexit is good you would not consider him a Conservative?

If what the leader does is of no concern to you, you will still back them, I wonder how you can even bring yourself to campaign for them since it logically follows that you don't believe half of what you are saying - Boris fans trash May constantly, insist she was terrible, you cannot genuinely have thought May was great before and now believe she was terrible, so which one do you actually back?
    Cameron is not standing for Parliament again, if he did then I would require him to back Brexit Deal or No Deal.
    But if someone not standing for parliament does not support that stance, required to be a Tory MP at least, are they truly Tories? They might not even vote for the party if they don't back that stance!

(That said, not voting Tory seemed to be regarded as the most Tory thing one could do at the Euros)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Another Douglas :(
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Scott_P said:
    Riiiiight...ten day blitz on what? Can't be cannabis, not strong enough.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    fpt for kle

+++

No.

The loss of the EU referendum is the greatest rupture in British peacetime history, certainly over the last century. And Cameron came in wanting to stop the Tories squabbling about Europe! Instead he horribly divided the whole country over Europe.

It is a catastrophic error, by any standards, and it really doesn't matter if he was boringly competent before. It's like saying "oh I was driving fine until I accelerated to 200 mph and ran over all the old ladies". Well, yeah, OK. but you ran over all the old ladies, and in the courtroom of history, that is all that matters.

Moreover, it's not like the referendum loss was some mad random event that came from nowhere. The mishandling of the renegotiations (telling the EU he would never campaign for Leave before he even started?!), the criminally casual way he called the plebiscite, without thinking through the possibility and consequences of defeat, etc etc, all these stem from flaws in Cameron's personality: the complacency, and arrogance, and misplaced self-regard.

He really is a twat.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1172551409511882752
  • Options
    RobD said:

Another Douglas :(

Things are Bader enough already.
  • Options
    FPT Reading between the lines of the Foster tweet but especially his replies the rumoured Lab to LD defector will be one or more of Scottish, Europhile and Jewish. They'll also be previously tribally Labour. Aside from Rosie Duffield I wonder about Ian Murray.
  • Options
    Heidi Allen confirms that something is happening in the course of a denial:

“I think someone is being unveiled at their conference, but it’s not me.”

https://order-order.com/2019/09/13/heidi-allen-defect-lib-dems-tomorrow/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    Time to "weed" out the doubters?
  • Options

First

Your favourite train operator?
  • Options
    FPT There are already energetic and high profile Labour and Lib Dem PPCs catfighting over who is the best challenger to Boris in Uxbridge. I strongly suspect all they'll do is suck inexperienced Momentum and FBPE activists away from much more winnable seats and breed resentment amongst middle class voters by not understanding canvassing.

So what would a rebel Remainer Tory trying to suicide bomb Boris add to that mix ? Absolutely nothing from his left they'll just split the vote. The space for an extra candidate from the Brexit Betrayal right.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Ah, that tweet from ColinW. Gone from here many moons ago but still fondly remembered. His mum too.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Mike Gapes

A senior Lib Dem MP suggested to me earlier this week that any defector this weekend could be ex-Labour.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

It is a catastrophic error, by any standards, and it really doesn't matter if he was boringly competent before. It's like saying "oh I was driving fine until I accelerated to 200 mph and ran over all the old ladies". Well, yeah, OK. but you ran over all the old ladies, and in the courtroom of history, that is all that matters.

I didn't say he would be well regarded by history. In fact I said the opposite. I'm simply saying it is still relevant even if it is eclipsed by other things, but that people lazily don't even bother to attempt an assessment, they just insist x must be the worst even because y as if that's the end of the matter. It might be right, but other things, z, are still valid considerations.
  • Options

First

Your favourite train operator?
    Abellio now run ScotRail.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668

Let's be honest, there are plenty of candidates from both disaffected Labour and Tory MPs
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Ah, that tweet from ColinW. Gone from here many moons ago but still fondly remembered. His mum too.

Is that "our* Colin?
  • Options

FPT Reading between the lines of the Foster tweet but especially his replies the rumoured Lab to LD defector will be one or more of Scottish, Europhile and Jewish. They'll also be previously tribally Labour. Aside from Rosie Duffield I wonder about Ian Murray.

I thought he was regarded as rock solid labour.
  • Options
    Rosie Duffield’s denial could be more categoric about her long term plans.
  • Options
    @TSE

Thanks.

I didn't miss it.

But I still think it's really unfair to wankers.
  • Options

It's a minor masterpiece in the "non denial denial" genre.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Let's be honest, there are plenty of candidates from both disaffected Labour and Tory MPs
    ex . Lab
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Remind me why we were all obsessed with "Colin's Mum". I have clean forgotten.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    Time to "weed" out the doubters?
    More like the smackhead of firm government.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    "Our"? I thought you were new here!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    The question for this observer is IF Boris Johnson is able to bring back a re-badged version of the May WA whether the sense of relief will be so palpable it will sweep through the Commons.

There still seem to be hugely contradictory versions of what's going on - remember the EU line is they will listen to any "serious" solutions to the problems caused by us leaving but that's not to see they will accept any old nonsense put forward.

NI remains an issue and again the EU's view is they will listen to any solutions we put forward but that's a way from saying they will accept anything and especially anything which they perceive as undermining the SM.

I genuinely don't know - pulling rabbits out of hats is good old music hall but how often does it work in reality? It seems a bit like the dance of the seven veils from Salome (hold the mind bleach) but I suspect we will all end up feeling overdressed.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Let's hope this isn't another cunning Cummings plan, otherwise it could end up with 287 more Tory MPs being expelled from the party ...
  • Options

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    I've already confessed that I lurked for ages. I was too afraid to comment because I thought you would laugh at my transvestism.
  • Options

I suppose if she's already booked her hotel and train ticket for Labour conference it would be a waste not to use them.

Then defect to the LibDems during Tory conference.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    I've already confessed that I lurked for ages. I was too afraid to comment because I thought you would laugh at my transvestism.
    So, how was Greenland? :lol:
  • Options

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Gotcha!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Hmm. We'll see.
    I'm leaving for Bournemouth at 7:30am tomorrow morning for a weekend at the LibDem conference - and in particular to vote for "Revoke" in the policy motion in the manifesto.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Well, someone had to keep him under (semi) control. Not unlike your not self.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.
    I'm leaving for Bournemouth at 7:30am tomorrow morning for a weekend at the LibDem conference - and in particular to vote for "Revoke" in the policy motion in the manifesto.
    Interesting. I am currently minded to vote LD in the next GE but I'd prefer Revoke after 2nd Ref tbh.

What's driving you to for Revoke without another referendum?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.
    Interesting. I am currently minded to vote LD in the next GE but I'd prefer Revoke after 2nd Ref tbh.

It would certainly make a mockery out of the word "democrats" in their name.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

I wish I'd had the guts to comment during the SeanT era. I would often find myself convulsed with laughter at the great man's bibulous sallies, to the point of orgasm. I really wish I'd gotten to know him, maybe even become his friend.

Instead I just sat there, in my patterned summer dress, admiring him from afar. Oh well. Too late now.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Mike Gapes

A senior Lib Dem MP suggested to me earlier this week that any defector this weekend could be ex-Labour.

That's not a defector. More like a refugee who has nowhere to go. There are one or two others. I can't recall their names.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Googlebox currently reviewing Boris presser with Leo. Comment "I would have told him to save the Ryanair airfare."
  • Options
    stodge said:

The question for this observer is IF Boris Johnson is able to bring back a re-badged version of the May WA whether the sense of relief will be so palpable it will sweep through the Commons.

There still seem to be hugely contradictory versions of what's going on - remember the EU line is they will listen to any "serious" solutions to the problems caused by us leaving but that's not to see they will accept any old nonsense put forward.

NI remains an issue and again the EU's view is they will listen to any solutions we put forward but that's a way from saying they will accept anything and especially anything which they perceive as undermining the SM.

I genuinely don't know - pulling rabbits out of hats is good old music hall but how often does it work in reality? It seems a bit like the dance of the seven veils from Salome (hold the mind bleach) but I suspect we will all end up feeling overdressed.

Agreed. The other piece of Chemistry is the sheer speed. Post October EUCO Boris has to get the Withdrawal Act through all its stages in less than a fortnight to meet 31/10. A parliament that has got used to flexing its muscles will not like the speed even if it likes the rabbit. Even if Boris pulls off the physics the chemistry might fail.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Not really; they would only get to implement the policy if they won a majority at a GE.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

If a majority of voters choose the Lib Dems, it's democratic. If not, every Lib Dem MP is a vote for a People's Vote and the closest possible relationship with the EU.
  • Options

stodge said:

Agreed. The other piece of Chemistry is the sheer speed. Post October EUCO Boris has to get the Withdrawal Act through all its stages in less than a fortnight to meet 31/10. A parliament that has got used to flexing its muscles will not like the speed even if it likes the rabbit. Even if Boris pulls off the physics the chemistry might fail.
    Labour, SNP and LDs have zero reason to help Boris get a WA through before 31 Oct. Some Labour and one LD might support it but countering that will be ERG diehards.

And the more smoke and mirrors the WA is, the diehardier the ERG will be.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

I wish I'd had the guts to comment during the SeanT era. I would often find myself convulsed with laughter at the great man's bibulous sallies, to the point of orgasm. I really wish I'd gotten to know him, maybe even become his friend.

Instead I just sat there, in my patterned summer dress, admiring him from afar. Oh well. Too late now.
    OK.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    RobD said:

How? In what way? The policy would be explicit in the manifesto so if people voted LD they would know for what they were voting so if the party won a majority they would have the mandate to implement that manifesto.

Are you suggesting that in 2036, assuming we were still in the EU, the Conservatives will be standing on a platform of implementing the 2016 referendum? Seriously?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124

stodge said:

The whole scenario is absurd, based on what we were told early this year about legislation needing something like two months after the Withdrawal Agreement was approved.

A lot of growing up needs to be done among senior conservative politicians.
  • Options

stodge said:

Labour, SNP and LDs have zero reason to help Boris get a WA through before 31 Oct. Some Labour and one LD might support it but countering that will be ERG diehards.

it all depends whether there is still a credible threat of No Deal. e.g. if the EU refuses an extension, or only offers a tiny extension. That will concentrate minds, because, in that case, voting against Bojo's deal will mean voting FOR No Deal.

I do not think any MP would want that on the record, or their conscience. Even Corbyn would surely fold in those circumstances.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    stodge said:

If you have a Times subscription, they have a good piece on how an NI friendly deal may be coming together.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

"Your message on PB horrifies me! Of course there is no possible connexion between Byronic and SeanT. If you suggest such a thing anywhere it will be the end of our beautiful friendship! For Christ's sake lay off the idea of Byronic = SeanT! Just shut up about Byronic! F*ck you, Evelyn Waugh SeanT."
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Byronic said:

stodge said:

it all depends whether there is still a credible threat of No Deal. e.g. if the EU refuses an extension, or only offers a tiny extension. That will concentrate minds, because, in that case, voting against Bojo's deal will mean voting FOR No Deal.

I do not think any MP would want that on the record, or their conscience. Even Corbyn would surely fold in those circumstances.
    Good grief - a glimmer of genuine insight and rational thought.

Are you feeling alright?

Edit: why would the EU refuse an extension when they are on the brink of reversing Brexit. Think what a victory that would be.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Two things.

1. It will only happen in the unlikely event that the LibDems get an overall majority. But in that very unlikely event it will be a very strong mandate for Revoke that would supersede the referendum vote of 2016. If we don't get a majority we will back a second referendum to let the people decide between specific proposals.

2. People on all sides are sick and tired of this going on and on and sucking the oxygen out of political actions on health, education, social services etc. Let it end! Hence the large and surprising support for "No Deal" and the six million who signed the "Revoke" petition. The LibDems will provide a way of simply ending it.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    If I could be bothered I'd work out how many Lib Dem MP's there'd be if they maintained their current average defection rate and the parliament went the full distance to the next election under FTPA. But I can't.
  • Options
    Chris said:

A lot of growing up needs to be done among senior conservative politicians.

FTFY
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,949
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Only SeanT would ever describe a time in PB as "the SeanT era" ;)
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Two things.

1. It will only happen in the unlikely event that the LibDems get an overall majority. But in that very unlikely event it will be a very strong mandate for Revoke that would supersede the referendum vote of 2016. If we don't get a majority we will back a second referendum to let the people decide between specific proposals.

2. People on all sides are sick and tired of this going on and on and sucking the oxygen out of political actions on health, education, social services etc. Let it end! Hence the large and surprising support for "No Deal" and the six million who signed the "Revoke" petition. The LibDems will provide a way of simply ending it.
    Ok that's sound reasoning.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Two things.

Revoke is ridiculously cavalier and dangerous. No one is thinking through the possible consequences of simply "cancelling" democracy. Who would ever vote again? Why bother? It's insanely risky.

But, I can see why the Lib Dems have gone for it in terms of partisan advantage: it offers clarity and firm purpose, which many crave,

Nonetheless it marks down the Libs as a fundamentally unserious party. willing to blow up our political system, and endanger civil peace, just because.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    You know call me crazy but I think a deal might happen.

Johnson has been forced by the anti no deal legislation to confront reality . A deal even if it’s voted down means he will likely romp an election , if he gets a deal which passes then he still wins an election .

What he can’t have is an extension then an election . Another thing in his favour , the right wing press are desperate for him to end up the hero.

Although it might pain the EU to help deliver Johnson anything that could be seen as a victory I think they’re now really fed up .

Whilst they might welcome a general election with a chance of a change of government , what if it ends up another hung parliament or a Tory majority . As for another EU ref, unless Labour get a majority which is highly unlikely how on earth will that happen . The Lib Dems and other opposition would have to support Corbyn for months if it’s a minority government to allow the time for the second vote . I can’t see that happening .

Anyway we’ve been here before , lots of false dawns , so best to wait and see. As someone staunchly pro EU I’m not sure I’m willing to gamble on a complete rupture and terrible relations with the EU and a toxic atmosphere for years to come in the hope there might be a second vote .

An orderly exit with a deal I’m willing to support . I just hope MPs will think hard about what they’re going to do if a deal is reached .

• Options
    Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Two things.

Revoke is ridiculously cavalier and dangerous. No one is thinking through the possible consequences of simply "cancelling" democracy. Who would ever vote again? Why bother? It's insanely risky.

But, I can see why the Lib Dems have gone for it in terms of partisan advantage: it offers clarity and firm purpose, which many crave,

Nonetheless it marks down the Libs as a fundamentally unserious party. willing to blow up our political system, and endanger civil peace, just because.
    Yes dear
  • Options

Byronic said:

stodge said:

I genressed.

Good grief - a glimmer of genuine insight and rational thought.

Are you feeling alright?

Edit: why would the EU refuse an extension when they are on the brink of reversing Brexit. Think what a victory that would be.
    Quite. And as the last extension and this probable next one will likely prove, even if they offer only a short one and say no more, push come to shove if we ask again they will probably concede it in any case.

Deal only ever looked like passing if no deal was indeed credible, Boris and others probably are right about that. But MPs and the EU have never believed we will no deal, and never will with this parliament.

Which parliament seems to know, given they are moving away from a GE toward a referendum apparently - they might think remain parties will win, but are fearful of the risk the Tories will instead and get a deal or no deal afterwards.

Hence why it will be settled in the next extension.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Two things.

Yebbut... in the unlikely event that the LDs win an election, what carries more weight - their (presumably) 2020 election win or a 4 year old referendum?

Revoke without a mandate would be a threat to democracy (unless it was a tactical revoke and re-invoke to overcome a refusal to extend A50).
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Johnson has been forced by the anti no deal legislation to confront reality . A deal even if it’s voted down means he will likely romp an election , if he gets a deal which passes then he still wins an election .

What he can’t have is an extension then an election . Another thing in his favour , the right wing press are desperate for him to end up the hero.

Although it might pain the EU to help deliver Johnson anything that could be seen as a victory I think they’re now really fed up .

Whilst they might welcome a general election with a chance of a change of government , what if it ends up another hung parliament or a Tory majority . As for another EU ref, unless Labour get a majority which is highly unlikely how on earth will that happen . The Lib Dems and other opposition would have to support Corbyn for months if it’s a minority government to allow the time for the second vote . I can’t see that happening .

Anyway we’ve been here before , lots of false dawns , so best to wait and see. As someone staunchly pro EU I’m not sure I’m willing to gamble on a complete rupture and terrible relations with the EU and a toxic atmosphere for years to come in the hope there might be a second vote .

An orderly exit with a deal I’m willing to support . I just hope MPs will think hard about what they’re going to do if a deal is reached .

I am sure wiser heads in Europe have realised that trying to annul the UK referendum vote really isn't worth it. They would have a bitter, divided, angry UK stuck inside the EU, constantly thwarting plans, infecting other countries with scepticism, and threatening to leave, again, every summer.

It would be a nightmare. It would mean endless instability, argument, and angst, and it would menace the Project even more than Brexit.

For that reason, they might be minded to bend over, a bit, for Boris.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Only SeanT would ever describe a time in PB as "the SeanT era" ;)
    It was suggested as some people don't like the modern CE BCE classification of eras.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    The FT report on Johnson's push for a deal seems to chime with the mood music, and it's possible that there is actually a coherent political plan:

1. Convince everyone that No Deal is imminent.
    2. Allow alarm and despondency to spread.
    3. Throw out Remainers ruthlessly.
    4. Then propose a deal, and threaten to turn on hard Leavers just as ruthlessly.
    5. People thank Johnson brokenly for saving them from the terrors of No Deal.
    5. He wins an election.

What I can't work out is what the deal would actually be that doesn't blatantly contradict stated Government policy. But perhaps that's not seen as a problem.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Two things.

boring waffle
  • Options

The FT report on Johnson's push for a deal seems to chime with the mood music, and it's possible that there is actually a coherent political plan:

4. Then propose a deal, and threaten to turn on hard Leavers just as ruthlessly.
    5. He wins an election.

What I can't work out is what the deal would actually be that doesn't blatantly contradict stated Government policy. But perhaps that's not seen as a problem.

Wake up Nick - you're having a bit of a 'mare there!

Not. Happening.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Two things.

Yes dear
    Mock me all you like, but I am right.

Revoke is a crazy idea, which could, probably would, bring plaster off the ceiling.

e.g. take me. I am a lifelong voter. If we simply Revoked, without even a 2nd ref, I would not vote again (unless to keep out Corbyn, but he won't be here forever)

Why bother? Really? Why bother voting if it literally means nothing, and "they" do what they want to, anyway? The entire system would be fatally devalued, democracy would be a proven sham. I would stop voting.

And if I feel that way, how would non-political people feel? Turn-outs would crash below 50% in General Elections. A total calamity for our country.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    A 10 day blitz. Echoes of the Jeremy Vine article about Boris' public speaking appearance.
  • Options

He’s certainly been very angry with the current Labour leadership, both in Edinburgh and London.

If he jumped to the SLDs, he might still manage to hold on in EdS. Used to be quite strong LD patches in that area, combined with strong personal vote, and he’d probably take all his SCon tactical votes with him (maybe even more).
  • Options

5. He wins an election.

Contradicting policy is not the problem. The problem would be winning a majority on that prospectus when BXP and ERG inclined Tories (as if there is a difference) don't vote for Boris because the deal is a betrayal. Even if the ERG kowtow to Boris after he declares he'll kick them out (a £20 donation from me to PB if any of the ERG Spartans is ever kicked out), that won't stop those who like them backing BXP, and them getting, say, 10%, enough to hurt them bad.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Two things.

Yes dear
    Mock me all you like, but I am right.

Revoke is a crazy idea, which could, probably would, bring plaster off the ceiling.

e.g. take me. I am a lifelong voter. If we simply Revoked, without even a 2nd ref, I would not vote again (unless to keep out Corbyn, but he won't be here forever)

Why bother? Really? Why bother voting if it literally means nothing, and "they" do what they want to, anyway? The entire system would be fatally devalued, democracy would be a proven sham. I would stop voting.

And if I feel that way, how would non-political people feel? Turn-outs would crash below 50% in General Elections. A total calamity for our country.

You're still not banned?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Byronic said:

nico67 said:

I am sure wiser heads in Europe have realised that trying to annul the UK referendum vote really isn't worth it. They would have a bitter, divided, angry UK stuck inside the EU, constantly thwarting plans, infecting other countries with scepticism, and threatening to leave, again, every summer.

It would be a nightmare. It would mean endless instability, argument, and angst, and it would menace the Project even more than Brexit.

For that reason, they might be minded to bend over, a bit, for Boris.
    Yes having the UK constantly one election away from more drama is surely effecting how the EU see this .

They want good relations and co operation on a range of issues . The problem is the warring factions in the Commons need to wake up and realize that for the good of the country a deal needs to be reached and passed .

The EU at the moment are still worried that Johnson won’t be able to get a majority .
  • Options
    Noo said:

Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Two things.

boring waffle
    I'm sorry I was so bellicose with you. I was absolutely hammered. And also genuinely angered by the hideously smug threader about Letwin.

My remarks were meant to be amusing hyperbole, but they must have come across as boorish, or even nasty.

Soz boz.
  • Options
    Cameron's quotes about Gove and Boris would be terrible news in normal times. Now it just feels like he's late to the party. Gove and Boris "left the truth at home"? Well, duh. So what are you doing about it then, Davey? "I think about this every day. Every single day I think about it."

Great. Thanks for everything, Davey.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edited September 2019
    nico67 said:

Clearly a deal ought to happen, indeed should have done some time ago. The next issue however is this: Is the intention of the Benn Act to prevent no deal, the simple interpretation, or is the real and political meaning of the act that it enables MPs safely to reject any deal, in the belief that such a rejection cannot lead to a 'no deal' outcome in the short term. If the latter is true - and probably we shall find out - then the prospects of ultimate 'Remain' get higher and higher as time goes on. I wonder whether it is already 50/50. I am inclined to think that 'Remain' is the aim of supporters of the Benn Act.

Boris/Cummings may of course have a clever plan; but I am fairly convinced that come October 30th Boris would not crash out, even if a legal loophole allowed it. So a clever plan may not be enough. The clever plan has to get parliament to agree a deal. I think there is a good chance that Remainers will hold their nerve a little longer than Boris.
  • Options
    SNP continue to shorten in Aberdeen South (Ross Thomson MP, Con)

SNP 2/5 (from 1/2)
    Con 7/3
    LD 25/1
    Lab 100/1

(Shadsy)

Labour at 100/1 !! They used to hold this seat until just 4 years ago.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Noo said:

Byronic said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Hmm. We'll see.

Two things.

boring waffle
    I'm sorry I was so bellicose with you. I was absolutely hammered. And also genuinely angered by the hideously smug threader about Letwin.

My remarks were meant to be amusing hyperbole, but they must have come across as boorish, or even nasty.

Soz boz.
    Apology accepted.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    nico67 said:

Surely, if he gets a deal, pass or not, Farage will be denouncing it from the rooftops. I find your certainty he would win an election then less than convincing.
    Given he would have alienated his left and right flank. And solved Labour's biggest dilemma at a stroke.
    Edit. I see kle4 made the same point to a different poster.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

nico67 said:

The next issue however is this: Is the intention of the Benn Act to prevent no deal, the simple interpretation, or is the real and political meaning of the act that it enables MPs safely to reject any deal, in the belief that such a rejection cannot lead to a 'no deal' outcome in the short term. If the latter is true - and probably we shall find out.
    There's not the slightest doubt that is true. If it were not, more people would be talking about passing a deal, or would have compromised and supported a deal earlier. As it is the most the largest part of them can bring themselves to say is that they will permit a token Labour deal to be put before a referendum, and so far basically no one will campaign for it. I'd guess a tenth of those backing the Benn Act would be prepared to vote for a deal, that being about the number who already did.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Cameron's quotes about Gove and Boris would be terrible news in normal times. Now it just feels like he's late to the party. Gove and Boris "left the truth at home"? Well, duh. So what are you doing about it then, Davey? "I think about this every day. Every single day I think about it."

And others think he should say and have said nothing because it is his fault. So he cannot win.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Noo said:

Well, duh. So what are you doing about it then, Davey? "I think about this every day. Every single day I think about it.".

Probably his thought every single day is "thank fuck I got out of that as soon as possible and didn't have to go through what Theresa did and Boris does".
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Noo said:

And others think he should say and have said nothing because it is his fault. So he cannot win.
    That is true. However, if he felt Boris couldn't be trusted with the truth, then surely he had an ethical imperative to say so during the leadership contest?
    Bit late now, for his party and the country.
  • Options

SNP 2/5 (from 1/2)
    Con 7/3
    LD 25/1
    Lab 100/1

(Shadsy)

Does anyone have any insight into how bookies come up with these prices? Public polling data for sure, but do they buy private polls results either direct of resale? Will they tend to use knowledge on the ground? Demographic data and regression? Or just a finger in the air?
    I've never felt able to jump into these kinds of markets, and I know from friends who campaign actively that it's often difficult even for local parties to know the state opinion in a constituency.
  • Options
    Should Johnson still be 1/5 to hold Uxbridge and South Ruislip if he has to face a One Nation Tory?

Con 1/5
    Lab 6/1
    LD 12/1
    Bxp 20/1
    Ind Tory not priced, yet

(Shadsy)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Mike Gapes

Absolutely never.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

If I could be bothered I'd work out how many Lib Dem MP's there'd be if they maintained their current average defection rate and the parliament went the full distance to the next election under FTPA. But I can't.

650 by next summer...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

Either f*** off or cut this crap.
  • Options
    Noo said:

SNP 2/5 (from 1/2)
    Con 7/3
    LD 25/1
    Lab 100/1

(Shadsy)

Does anyone have any insight into how bookies come up with these prices? Public polling data for sure, but do they buy private polls results either direct of resale? Will they tend to use knowledge on the ground? Demographic data and regression? Or just a finger in the air?
    I've never felt able to jump into these kinds of markets, and I know from friends who campaign actively that it's often difficult even for local parties to know the state opinion in a constituency.
    - “Does anyone have any insight into how bookies come up with these prices?”

A. Initial prices: bookie’s own research plus intuition

B. All subsequent prices: supply and demand. Popular punts will shorten a price. Few backers will lengthen a price.

The Aberdeen South market was launched a couple of weeks ago, and has thus left phase A, so prices based on bets made from now on in.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

F*** off yourself. Wanker.
  • Options
    @StuartDickson, you'll like this.
    I heard someone talking about Richard Leonard the other day. Someone with no connection to Scotland, I should add, city dweller.

"I'm really surprised he hasn't done better. The SNP were shitting themselves when he became leader, weren't they?"

It got me thinking about who in Labour the SNP might scared of. I didn't come up with any answers. Perhaps Corbyn a few years ago, but not now. Starmer, maybe?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Shit the bed, will you stop with the man crush on Dave? It was mildly interesting the first time you posted it, but what's this. 3rd? 4th? Accept it, your man is a has been. It's over.
  • Options

Noo said:

SNP 2/5 (from 1/2)
    Con 7/3
    LD 25/1
    Lab 100/1

(Shadsy)

- “Does anyone have any insight into how bookies come up with these prices?”

A. Initial prices: bookie’s own research plus intuition

B. All subsequent prices: supply and demand. Popular punts will shorten a price. Few backers will lengthen a price.

The Aberdeen South market was launched a couple of weeks ago, and has thus left phase A, so prices based on bets made from now on in.
    Oh, why did I miss out demand? It's been a long week. Thanks for the insight.
    So it certainly sounds like a market you get get ahead of the bookies on if you have a little local knowledge. But probably not for big money before they start to throttle your stakes, I guess.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Shit the bed, will you stop with the man crush on Dave? It was mildly interesting the first time you posted it, but what's this. 3rd? 4th? Accept it, your man is a has been. It's over.
    Cameron delivered you the referendum which allowed you to vote to get out of the EU. You should be sucking his dick. Metaphorically.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited September 2019

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

It is the second time I posted it because the poster I tagged it in originally was around and was around now. I knew it would amuse him because of love of Michael Gove.

The rest of your post is as impressive as your numeracy.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Byronic said:

JohnO said:

Is that "our* Colin?
    Sure is.
    Hah! Splendid!

F*** off yourself. Wanker.
    Well, as we've seen from Cameron it's either that or team player!
  • Options
    So Cammo and SamCam are a pair of pot heads.

Lock 'em up!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    ICYMI

Cameron delivered you the referendum which allowed you to vote to get out of the EU. You should be sucking his dick. Metaphorically.
    Thing is, I'm a grunt. Infantry. Pleb. Foot soldier. Aren't super clever generals supposed to have a plan? Sheer brilliance honed on the playing fields of Eton that scum like me implement on the Battle field? Dave dripped his get the Tories out of jail plan in my ear, I voted accordingly. I don't run the country, I just live here
    Anyway, before I went veggie to help my wife stock up on good stuff before she has chemo, I used to love the taste of pork, so Dave's cock would be right up my street.
This discussion has been closed.