Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Once again political gamblers have been overstating the chance

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited September 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Once again political gamblers have been overstating the chances of an early general election

Chart via the betdata.io

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    First.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    It seemed nailed on, I dont know how the politicians have managed to avoid one.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Another Douglas.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    On the prorogation case, I've not been able to follow the latest, but given a QS is a legitimate purpose, if its unlawful because of other purposes, does that mean the PM is not allowed to have a QS even though that is a legitimate reason? How do they separate out the legitimate reason from the illegitimate? Length alone?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,603
    edited September 2019
    "for it shall come into operation."

That sounds rather biblical...

And I like the idea of referring to inexperienced gamblers as puntets.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,123
    It seems an odd argument that if something has happened several times without coming before the courts, it must be lawful.

Does that go for the rest of us, as well as politicians?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MPs are reluctant to give voters the chance to cast their verdict on their performance- unsurprisingly..
  • Options
    Chris said:

It seems an odd argument that if something has happened several times without coming before the courts, it must be lawful.

One might add that the powers of the sovereign were rather different back in 1948, let alone 1930.
  • Options
    Mr. B, puntigulae?

I think a caligula was a small military sandal, a caliga was a medium, and a caligone was a big one (I stand to be corrected).

We could have puntigula, puntiga, and puntigone.
    Or puntula, punta, puntone.
  • Options
    White collar on a patterned shirt, too.
    That Keen is a dodgy lawyer.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It seemed nailed on, I dont know how the politicians have managed to avoid one.

I guess it is rarely in the interests of both main parties to have an election. Until recently it was not in the interests of the Tories, now it is not in the interests of Labour. A sweet spot that suits both is perhaps harder to find than people expected.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Mr. B, puntigulae?

I think a caligula was a small military sandal, a caliga was a medium, and a caligone was a big one (I stand to be corrected).

We could have puntigula, puntiga, and puntigone.
    Or puntula, punta, puntone.

I was referring to OGH's delightful neologism:
    Clearly from the betting quite a lot of puntets are not fully aware of the implications of this...

And though 'punt' can be traced back to a Latin root, 'punter' is very definitely of English origin, so I'm afraid your potentially useful Latinate inventions aren't quite appropriate.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    I braved the Swinson speech as long as I could but alas I'm out
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Those who followed me into laying September, then October, and also 2022 should (hopefully, in respect of the latter) be looking at a nice profit.
  • Options
    Thank goodness.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

I'm dipping in and out of it waiting for the punch line.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Its terribly earnest. In that hectoring way. Shes gone full sandalista
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

Listening in, had a quick look on the video stream too. I'd really like to be enthused by the LDs, given the current other options, but somehow it just isn't happening. Trying too hard, sounds fake, like Ed Miliband (I don't think he's fake, but I think he looked fake trying to be someone he wasn't).

Still probably vote for them though, as a least bad option.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    edited September 2019
    Interesting that she's framing the narrative on the open/closed axis.

It's a gamble. She's betting on this being the new reality, not the old left/right economic axis. It might not work, but if she pulls it off ... it makes permanent the splits in Labour and Tory parties opened by Brexit.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Chris said:

Yup. You drive at 120 mph many times. Nothing happens. So it must be lawful.
  • Options
    Intentional pun - trucks and media 'pick-up'? If so, bravo, Maybe the pick-up's delayed as it doesn't have the right paperwork.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

The still picture on the Guardian page does make her look as though she's appearing in an amateur production of Mamma Mia...
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/17/jo-swinson-urges-lib-dems-to-fight-populists-for-heart-and-soul-of-britain-brexit
  • Options

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Listening in, had a quick look on the video stream too. I'd really like to be enthused by the LDs, given the current other options, but somehow it just isn't happening. Trying too hard, sounds fake, like Ed Miliband (I don't think he's fake, but I think he looked fake trying to be someone he wasn't).

On the video, there were close ups of Berger and Umunna, both nodding along, smiling and loking like idiots - not their fault, must be horrible being an MP at your leader's conference speech, you have to try and look interested and approving the whole time!

At least the cameras seemed to be leaving Ed Davey alone.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

I think she has yet to learn how to appear good on TV and live at the same time.
    It's not an easy act to pull off.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

When the selling point is we are all terribly lovely and everything is just awful but being super nice will make it all better I can't relate to it politically.
    And staking out we need a grand vision like the architect of Westminster abbey did is the most cloying, ridiculous, year 10 debating society crap. Everybody believes they have vision, saying it doesn't make it somehow revolutionary.
    Ah well, when they ditch the crappy history and tradition and name (and her) and become a proper centrist alliance I'll give them another look.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Barnesian said:

I think you have to be there!
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Chris said:

I can give a counter example where plenty of people were charged with smoking in a London Underground station but it took a long time before somone went before the a court for it. The precedent (of not pressing charges) did not change the legal status. Most (early) cases were where there was an incident with the police were involved and made an arrest. The police has an interest in recording as many crimes as possible such as actual bodily harm, criminal damage, resisting arrest and smoking in the underground. They do this because they know who commited the crime and so gets recorded as 4 different detected crimes for the purposes of the published detected crime rates.

I know someone who was arrested by the police in 1989 or 90 for a scuffle with the police in a tube station entrance. (He reckoned the police started it, I'm not so sure). His solicitor said straightaway, they won't press charges for the smoking as no one had yet been sucessfuly prosecuted for it. The solicitor was right, the other charges were brought before the court, but not the smoking charge.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    I was pleasantly surprised to find yesterday that the US speed limit rises to 80mph once out on the prairie, which means that going up to 90mph is common and relatively risk free. Unlike every other day driving further east, I didn’t see a single patrol car all day and any parked in their customary spot between the lanes would have been visible from miles away given the terrain.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Selebian said:

When the selling point is we are all terribly lovely and everything is just awful but being super nice will make it all better I can't relate to it politically.
    And staking out we need a grand vision like the architect of Westminster abbey did is the most cloying, ridiculous, year 10 debating society crap. Everybody believes they have vision, saying it doesn't make it somehow revolutionary.
    Ah well, when they ditch the crappy history and tradition and name (and her) and become a proper centrist alliance I'll give them another look.
    Give me that ahead of a Tory stamping on my face forever.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

I think you have to be there!
    Its going to end in a massive hug fest.
  • Options
    And most drivers don't even know what the right paperwork is, let alone how to get hold of it (veterinary certificates for animals for example).
  • Options
    Swinson has today ruled out propping up either a Johnson or a Corbyn government in a future hung parliament.

Could she then follow through by tabling a VONC against a Johnson led government whenever parliament resumes, if Corbyn fails to do so?

And if it resumes with Corbyn not Johnson as PM, will she support a VONC that the Conservatives bring against Corbyn?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    I have never been nicked at 120mph. The time I nearly went to jail was 117mph in my 993. I have driven at more than 170mph on the road several times and got away with it so that might be legal. Fuck the pearl clutchers before they start.
  • Options
    "The legal limits on the power of the executive are set by Parliament and not by the courts."

That seems a rather reckless argument, which could be defeated by a single example of the courts ruling against the executive without explicit statutory authority.

Wouldn't the Gina Miller judgment be such an example? If not, what was the statute that the court invoked?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited September 2019
    Seriously, how many times do you think professional transport companies will turn up at a port without the documentation in place?

Alternatively, companies running their own transport fleets are going to let vehicles go without the right paperwork? Once or twice.

Madness to propagate the thought that our business community is stupid enough to send lorries and goods to a port without having required clearances. Sure small companies / individuals may make some cock ups, but I really do not have confidence that our entire road transport industry is completely negligent.

I would think there are other far more likely Brexit disasters. If these tailbacks don't materialise, what a success Brexit has been. Expectations management for after the event is important for both sides.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    I have never been nicked at 120mph. The time I nearly went to jail was 117mph in my 993. I have driven at more than 170mph on the road several times and got away with it so that might be legal. Fuck the pearl clutchers before they start.
    What speed do you have to be going at before a GATSO can't capture you twice on the scale markings?
  • Options

Swinson has today ruled out propping up either a Johnson or a Corbyn government in a future hung parliament.

Could she then follow through by tabling a VONC against a Johnson led government whenever parliament resumes, if Corbyn fails to do so?

And if it resumes with Corbyn not Johnson as PM, will she support a VONC that the Conservatives bring against Corbyn?

Johnson and Corbyn could coalesce (?) with each other.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    I think you are a disgrace and that's nothing to brag about. I hope you get caught and punished severely
  • Options
    Who knew being rude and petty would harm diplomacy?!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

I think she has yet to learn how to appear good on TV and live at the same time.
    Maybe. I wonder how much it can be learned and how much it's have it/don't have it.

Different thing, but Lineker was awful when he started fronting MoTD, but grew into it. With politicians - May never had it, Cameron did, Kennedy did, Blair did, Johnson probably does (in a conference setting). I'm not old enough to remember early Thatcher - did she improve over time?

Only political obsessives like us listen to conference speeches anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter. Performing in a debate is more important now.
  • Options
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Tabman said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    What speed do you have to be going at before a GATSO can't capture you twice on the scale markings?
    I think it is around 140 mph.

I read that. Rather than got away with it.

(Although I did once get found Not Guilty by the magistrates despite having peaded guilty....)

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Maybe. I wonder how much it can be learned and how much it's have it/don't have it.

Different thing, but Lineker was awful when he started fronting MoTD, but grew into it. With politicians - May never had it, Cameron did, Kennedy did, Blair did, Johnson probably does (in a conference setting). I'm not old enough to remember early Thatcher - did she improve over time?

Only political obsessives like us listen to conference speeches anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter. Performing in a debate is more important now.
    Thatcher improved her performances, peaked and then declined a good while prior to her resignation.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    It's nine o'clock on a Saturday...
  • Options

Yes but the Speaker is unlikely to call it forward for debate. Only confidence motions tabled by the LOTO get priority - Cable tabled a VONC a few months ago but it was not debated.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    Rumour has it that none of the current enforcement technology is consistently accurate above 180mph but the OB is tight lipped about it. 90% of the time, in my experience, the cops are fat lazy thick twats who depend on the gullible to admit it rather than rely on evidence from ill maintained and calibrated technology which can often be successfully challenged in court.
  • Options

Didn't Boris refer to the EU as Nazis?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I was driving during most of Jo Swinson's speech and didn't think it sounded great on radio but it came across a lot better when I put the TV on.

It'll be surely be the most positive Liberal Democrat conference in years and that's all that matters.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Re Dover - 95% of containers exported from the ROI go to or through the Uk.

A blocked Dover stuffs Ireland.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    philiph said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Thatcher improved her performances, peaked and then declined a good while prior to her resignation.
    Thatcher famously took voice training in her early years as PM.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    philiph said:

Seriously, how many times do you think professional transport companies will turn up at a port without the documentation in place?

Alternatively, companies running their own transport fleets are going to let vehicles go without the right paperwork? Once or twice.

Madness to propagate the thought that our business community is stupid enough to send lorries and goods to a port without having required clearances. Sure small companies / individuals may make some cock ups, but I really do not have confidence that our entire road transport industry is completely negligent.

I would think there are other far more likely Brexit disasters. If these tailbacks don't materialise, what a success Brexit has been. Expectations management for after the event is important for both sides.
    Even if the paperwork was perfect it’s perfectly possible that people could be sent away as the person checking it says it isn’t or Form 84c is now superseded by Form 84d
  • Options

My understanding is that the government has to allow a VoNC moved by the LotO the following day. I am not sure the government has to treat such a motion by others in a similar manner.
    Of course, in the current climate, Alexander Johnson may ignore any VoNC completely. What does the law say ? Probably completely silent.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Didn't Boris refer to the EU as Nazis?
    As Prime Minister? We are talking Prime Ministers after all...
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    I sincerely apologise for misrepresenting your record.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    I think you are a disgrace and that's nothing to brag about. I hope you get caught and punished severely
    Sounds like a too obvious thing to say, so I guess it must be stupid... but why are cars sold that can go faster than the speed limit?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    eek said:

philiph said:

Even if the paperwork was perfect it’s perfectly possible that people could be sent away as the person checking it says it isn’t or Form 84c is now superseded by Form 84d
    Which is equally possible now. Intra EU trade is not form or paperless today.

I agree the number of forms would be increased.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    Dura_Ace said:

Tabman said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    Rumour has it that none of the current enforcement technology is consistently accurate above 180mph but the OB is tight lipped about it. 90% of the time, in my experience, the cops are fat lazy thick twats who depend on the gullible to admit it rather than rely on evidence from ill maintained and calibrated technology which can often be successfully challenged in court.
    Dura_Ace said:

Tabman said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    Which is why the more clueful police forces now have a small department keeping all that information up to date and suitably trained staff to stand up in court
  • Options
    isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    Sounds like a too obvious thing to say, so I guess it must be stupid... but why are cars sold that can go faster than the speed limit?
    In my case because I go to Germany, France, Holland etc. There isn't an EU imposed speed limit. :smile:
  • Options

Was that Mark Francois perhaps?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Fenster said:

I was driving during most of Jo Swinson's speech and didn't think it sounded great on radio but it came across a lot better when I put the TV on.

It'll be surely be the most positive Liberal Democrat conference in years and that's all that matters.

Yes, as has been reported elsewhere, the mood in the Party is currently buoyant and rightly so.

The Brexit policy, despite its misrepresentations by those not well disposed, is quite clear. Revocation only if the LDs win a Parliamentary majority at the next GE, otherwise support for a second referendum and the Party would campaign to Remain and obviously will continue to work with others to prevent a No Deal A50.

As far as the more domestic is concerned, no support for either a minority Johnson-led Conservative or Corbyn-led Labour Government (there's a nuance or too there I would say).

Of course, if a future Government were to Revoke there would be nothing to stop a later Government with an anti-EU majority re-applying to withdraw under A50 - I'd assume that would be the post-revocation policy of the Conservatives in Opposition.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    philiph said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    In my case because I go to Germany, France, Holland etc. There isn't an EU imposed speed limit. :smile:
    Modern technology should be able to easily identify which country you are in, the relevant speed limit, and restrict accordingly
  • Options

Yes but the Speaker is unlikely to call it forward for debate. Only confidence motions tabled by the LOTO get priority - Cable tabled a VONC a few months ago but it was not debated.
    No of course he wouldn't break with precedent in this case. Not even if the government indicated that it would be willing to set aside time on the order paper for the motion. Heaven forbid that he allowed the country at large to take a view on whether to keep in a job those MPs whose interests he is so keen to defend as their reputation sinks ever lower.

However, that's not the point. The question is, would Swinson be true to her word by trying? Somehow I doubt it.

And the more important question, is would she dare go back on her commitment even before the GE by propping up Corbyn, for all the world to see?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

Tabman said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    Which is why the more clueful police forces now have a small department keeping all that information up to date and suitably trained staff to stand up in court
    It's all strict liability, most of the get outs seem to focus on

a) Having the shits - I reckon if this had been a lay person and not Ferguson/Ferrari? using that excuse the magistrate would rightly have chucked it out.
    b) Desperately needing your car more than anyone else - "Once found guilty with 12 pts.. "exceptional hardship m'lud"
  • Options
    Chris said:

"The legal limits on the power of the executive are set by Parliament and not by the courts."

That seems a rather reckless argument, which could be defeated by a single example of the courts ruling against the executive without explicit statutory authority.

Wouldn't the Gina Miller judgment be such an example? If not, what was the statute that the court invoked?

That wasn't a rhetorical question.

If the government's argument now is that the courts can't limit the executive's power without explicit statutory authority, what was the statutory authority in the Gina Miller case?

Lord Keen is arguing before the same court that made the Gina Miller judgment.
  • Options
    isam said:

philiph said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    Modern technology should be able to easily identify which country you are in, the relevant speed limit, and restrict accordingly
    It should be able to (although my inbuilt satnav dies on the German border and Poland is not mapped).
  • Options
    philiph said:

isam said:

philiph said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    It should be able to (although my inbuilt satnav dies on the German border and Poland is not mapped).
    If only the Wehrmacht had those in their Tanks at the start of WW2
  • Options

No of course he wouldn't break with precedent in this case. Not even if the government indicated that it would be willing to set aside time on the order paper for the motion. Heaven forbid that he allowed the country at large to take a view on whether to keep in a job those MPs whose interests he is so keen to defend as their reputation sinks ever lower.

However, that's not the point. The question is, would Swinson be true to her word by trying? Somehow I doubt it.

And the more important question, is would she dare go back on her commitment even before the GE by propping up Corbyn, for all the world to see?
    IIRC the opposition parties have said they won't do anything that could bring about a dissolution of parliament before 31 Oct so it's not likely anyone will table a VONC before then unless there is an agreement on an alternative government. Which I think would only come about if Bozo intended to defy the Benn bill and take the UK out without a deal on 31 Oct.
  • Options

philiph said:

isam said:

philiph said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    Is the SatNav signal still able to be distorted to render them useless at times of unrest / war?
  • Options
    What do our learned friends on PB make of Lord Keen's submission? Seems like he was going hard after the Scottish Inner House judgement.
  • Options
    They can be waved through when entering the UK, but they have to get back again afterwards!

• Options
    isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    Because not everyone wants to drive around in a fucking Invacar.
  • Options

philiph said:

isam said:

philiph said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    The current Polish border with Germany (Oder/Neisse line) was well inside Germany in September 1939.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    I put 993 into Google translate and got Entry level Nazi penis substitute.
  • Options
    isam said:

philiph said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    My mad proposal of the day. Trackers in all cars a requirement. Develop technology to rate the driving population at the end of each month based primarily on safety, including but not only speed. Safest 10% get a months free insurance and road tax. Lowest 10% get a warning letter, lowest 1% and anyone in lowest 10% 3 months in a row get fined. Lowest 1% twice in a year get retested with a view to a ban.

My sensible proposal for the day. Include third party insurance on petrol and then make further car insurance optional.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    Because not everyone wants to drive around in a fucking Invacar.
    Almost nobody want to drive around with idiots like you on the road.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

That wasn't a rhetorical question.

If the government's argument now is that the courts can't limit the executive's power without explicit statutory authority, what was the statutory authority in the Gina Miller case?

Lord Keen is arguing before the same court that made the Gina Miller judgment.
    The Justices split 4 (Majority)-2 (Dissent)-5 (Not present) from the Miller verdict.
  • Options

isam said:

philiph said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    My mad proposal of the day. Trackers in all cars a requirement. Develop technology to rate the driving population at the end of each month based primarily on safety, including but not only speed. Safest 10% get a months free insurance and road tax. Lowest 10% get a warning letter, lowest 1% and anyone in lowest 10% 3 months in a row get fined. Lowest 1% twice in a year get retested with a view to a ban.

My sensible proposal for the day. Include third party insurance on petrol and then make further car insurance optional.
    What about cars that don't require petrol?
  • Options
    Chris said:

They can be waved through when entering the UK, but they have to get back again afterwards!

Which is to miss the point in its entirety.

With the correct paperwork they will be able to get through. It would seem a stretch to think that the correct paperwork will only be for a one way journey, unless you want to tie up your £100,000 truck, trailer and driver for loads of wasted hours.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    I put 993 into Google translate and got Entry level Nazi penis substitute.
    :D
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    stodge said:

Fenster said:

Yes, as has been reported elsewhere, the mood in the Party is currently buoyant and rightly so.

The Brexit policy, despite its misrepresentations by those not well disposed, is quite clear. Revocation only if the LDs win a Parliamentary majority at the next GE, otherwise support for a second referendum and the Party would campaign to Remain and obviously will continue to work with others to prevent a No Deal A50.

As far as the more domestic is concerned, no support for either a minority Johnson-led Conservative or Corbyn-led Labour Government (there's a nuance or too there I would say).

Of course, if a future Government were to Revoke there would be nothing to stop a later Government with an anti-EU majority re-applying to withdraw under A50 - I'd assume that would be the post-revocation policy of the Conservatives in Opposition.
    What do you think would happen if Lab + SNP + LD is a majority, but Lab refuse to ditch Corbyn?
  • Options
    Noo said:

isam said:

philiph said:

isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace

What about cars that don't require petrol?
    Diesel same process. If powered by green tech lets make it 3rd party insurance free to further encourage take up.
  • Options
    This "lorries won't have the right paperwork" thing seems extremely unlikely. My company like many others had a whole department preparing for Brexit on March 31st, and they reckon they were 90% ready. Now they are probably 99% ready (never going to be 100%, sure)

Business mainly cares about business, not politics, so will be as ready as possible. Bosses might hate Brexit, but they aren't going to let it cause them problems just to help the Lib Dems' optics...

Will it all be smooth? Surely not, it's a ballache we could do without, but it absolutely won't be the hoped-for disaster of the hardcore Remainers.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

Fenster said:

What do you think would happen if Lab + SNP + LD is a majority, but Lab refuse to ditch Corbyn?
    My guess: abstain on budget, vote against on VONC, support policies on a case-by-case basis.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Macron flips on immigration - now hes for toughening up regulations and stopping flows.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/le-scan/decryptages/immigration-comment-macron-a-durci-son-discours-20190917
  • Options
    philiph said:

Chris said:

With the correct paperwork they will be able to get through. It would seem a stretch to think that the correct paperwork will only be for a one way journey, unless you want to tie up your £100,000 truck, trailer and driver for loads of wasted hours.
    One point is being overlooked. Currently, you do not need the "correct paperwork" to drive into France. After a No Deal Brexit you would need to show it. However, fast you are waived through, it would still be slower than now.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Fenster said:

I have to admit that my first thought on Swinson's Article 50 revocation was that it was a smart move in a tactical political sense because it would capture a core of voters (15-20%?) that are hard-line Remainers. However, having spoken to a few of them, their view is the policy is a disaster. Not because they think it is undemocratic but because they see that it gives the Tories carte blanche to take us out of the EU (if we rejoin) without the need for a referendum the next time the Tories win an election.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

Fenster said:

They form a minority government and attempt to govern.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Chris said:

Obviously, the idea of waving them through is so that the need for paperwork doesn't hold things up.

Obviously that will only work one way.

The Yellowhammer assessment was that the rate of flow of goods across the Channel could be more than halved.
  • Options

This "lorries won't have the right paperwork" thing seems extremely unlikely. My company like many others had a whole department preparing for Brexit on March 31st, and they reckon they were 90% ready. Now they are probably 99% ready (never going to be 100%, sure)

Business mainly cares about business, not politics, so will be as ready as possible. Bosses might hate Brexit, but they aren't going to let it cause them problems just to help the Lib Dems' optics...

Will it all be smooth? Surely not, it's a ballache we could do without, but it absolutely won't be the hoped-for disaster of the hardcore Remainers.

Where Brexit will impact - and I see this in my line of work - is the decision making in the medium to long term. The jobs that get sited in the EU27 because that's where they need to be.
  • Options
    isam said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

I call @Dura_Ace
    A car capable of no more than 70mph would have to be very low powered and so dangerously slow at accelerating past bicycles for example.

Also I don't agree with your possible implication that the speed limit is set by people who are benevolent and wise and who deserve to be obeyed with reverence and gratitude for their kind management of our lives...
  • Options

philiph said:

Chris said:

One point is being overlooked. Currently, you do not need the "correct paperwork" to drive into France. After a No Deal Brexit you would need to show it. However, fast you are waived through, it would still be slower than now.
    What makes you think anyone is going to be waved through when entering France?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Tabman said:

rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

Fenster said:

My interpretation of no support means they would Vonc Cornyn. So bavk to anotjer GE whivh risks letting in Johnson and No Deal?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,743
    edited September 2019
    rkrkrk said:

Tabman said:

rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

Fenster said:

My interpretation of no support means they would Vonc Cornyn. So bavk to anotjer GE whivh risks letting in Johnson and No Deal?
    They would let others become the government and vote on an issue by issue basis.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Tabman said:

rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

Fenster said:

Support just means formal coalition.

Another poster has said vote on a case by case basis. Which means a veto on his socialist nonsense. Sounds good to me.
This discussion has been closed.