Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling finds firm backing for final Brexit decisio

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Scott_P said:
    Yes, history will repeat itself once again. Labour will almost certainly go from 25% to 41% during the campaign, as they did in 2017.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    Yesterday was the hottest October day ever recorded in North Carolina, and today is expected to be a degree hotter reaching 100F.

Meanwhile US talk radio is baying for the blood of the whistleblower (now called “the leaker”) suggesting the whole thing was preplanned by the Dems.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    Scott_P said:

Collaborating with a foreign power to thwart the will of Parliament?

The will of parliament is that the PM applies for an extension to avoid no-deal. Nothing here is bypassing that - the EU can approve or reject that as it likes.

Perhaps parliament should have ruled out no-deal in the three chances it already had ….. but it preferred to play silly games.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes, history will repeat itself once again. Labour will almost certainly go from 25% to 41% during the campaign, as they did in 2017.
    Maybe the LibDems will soar from the low 20s this time around?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Hungary ready to veto further extension making the Benn Act redundant, then put the Boris Deal to Parliament as the only alternative to No Deal? Cummings would be a genius if that happened

Genius...
    What the diehard Remainers have been doing with Ireland and Blair has been doing with Macron
    Read the Ireland Act 1948 dear boy. Ireland is for no purposes to be regarded as a foreign country. And you would struggle to find any collusion with Ireland to thwart the will of Parliament. As for Blair, what office in the executive does he hold now?
    The Republic of Ireland is a foreign power by any means, it is not even in the Commonwealth
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

Yesterday was the hottest October day ever recorded in North Carolina, and today is expected to be a degree hotter reaching 100F.

Meanwhile US talk radio is baying for the blood of the whistleblower (now called “the leaker”) suggesting the whole thing was preplanned by the Dems.

Must be the heat generated by warren activities with the young man
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

So more showboating by Bozo to put a deal before the Commons before the EU council meeting .

It would be hilarious if it was amended to include a second vote .

There will probably be an attempt
    317 MPs voted for the Brady amendment and the Withdrawal Amendment minus the backstop ie close to the Boris Deal, only 280 MPs voted for a confirmatory referendum on any Deal in the second round of indicative votes
    I see you’ve dug up the Brady corpse! Voting for a unicorn . I’m sure the Commons also would have voted for all the benefits and none of the obligations out of the EU.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Hungary ready to veto further extension making the Benn Act redundant, then put the Boris Deal to Parliament as the only alternative to No Deal? Cummings would be a genius if that happened

Genius...
    What the diehard Remainers have been doing with Ireland and Blair has been doing with Macron
    Read the Ireland Act 1948 dear boy. Ireland is for no purposes to be regarded as a foreign country. And you would struggle to find any collusion with Ireland to thwart the will of Parliament. As for Blair, what office in the executive does he hold now?
    The Republic of Ireland is a foreign power by any means, it is not even in the Commonwealth
    But we have the Common Travel Area.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Genius...
    Neither is the USA!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That's the message I am getting from my Trump supporting friend in Florida. It was all schemed by Pelosi.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

The problem for the Tories is that another referendum will finally rip the party apart. Personally I don’t have a problem with that but Johnson will do anything to avoid that. His desired outcome will be Brexit and then an election where he will hope the undemocratic electoral system will give him a working majority on 35% of the vote. That of course will rip the country apart.

It wouldn't actually as most Tories are now firmly behind Leave, certainly in the country, as is the Tory Leader (I am a Tory activist for example and voted Remain in 2016 but would now vote Leave and respect the first vote), while LDs and the SNP are firmly behind Remain.

If another referendum ripped any party apart it would be Corbyn Labour, where the recent Labour conference saw the party vote by the narrowest of margins not to commit to campaign for Remain against the wishes of most Labour members and where most Labour voters voted Remain but most Labour seats voted Leave.

I don't want another referendum but it could be win win for the Tories provided Boris campaigned for Leaed
    Would you vote for Labour from then on if they won the next general election?
    Only if they won a general election with a majority and were then prevented from forming a government as that would be disrespecting democracy
    We have a sovereign parliament. Deal with it.

So you would support Jeremy Corbyn. You change with the wind. What kind of a supporter do you call yourself?
    No I support democracy, if a party wins a general election or a referendum campaign wins that referendum that result deserves to be respected otherwise democracy dies and the only beneficiaries are the political extremes and violence
    Some results don’t deserve to be respected. Risking Godwin here, the German general elections of 1932 and 1933 spring immediately to mind. And the 1932 Western Australia independence referendum was not implemented. No violence there. In the case of the 2016 vote, the contradictory promises cannot be delivered so it cannot help but be dishonoured.
    The anti Secessionist Labour Party won the state election on the same date as the plebiscite so there were 2 contradictory results on the same day.

Had the 1932 and 1933 election results not been respected the Nazis would have taken power by force anyway
  • Options

IanB2 said:

That's the message I am getting from my Trump supporting friend in Florida. It was all schemed by Pelosi.
    Phew, at least George Soros is getting a wee rest.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Genius...
    Neither is the USA!
    The USA is also a foreign power
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    FF43 said:

The Johnson Deal is BAD. The only good thing about it is that it will almost certainly never see light of day. The proposal retains the downsides of May's Deal, loses all of that deal's advantages, save one. It adds much more significant problems of its own, particularly for Northern Ireland. It's probably unworkable operationally and it misconceives the purpose of international treaties.

I get that Johnson's Deal is really a political manouevre for his domestic market. But it needs to be underpinned by a real deal.

Oh yes it's terrible.

If you're in Colditz Castle though any escape plan is worth a shout.

This is as good as it gets.

Anything that's really worth having you can leave at any time. Life. Education. The countryside.

Things that can't be left aside easily include taxation, failed marriages, gyms, mailing-lists.

None of the bad things are even slightly as hard to leave as the EU seems to be. It may well be that its that bad.

The EU players in this game have always been playing for time.

The problem with all of the above though is that despite all of the crap from the EU it isn't nearly as bad as it imagines itself to be. They could quite easily have presented themselves as they are, could quite easily have presented an easy exit with 'are you sure?'. They could have quite easily played the truth of their own game.

The Junkers, Verhofstadts, and Barniers of this process are in my view great villains - and that's viewed from either side.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

No I support democracy, if a party wins a general election or a referendum campaign wins that referendum that result deserves to be respected otherwise democracy dies and the only beneficiaries are the political extremes and violence

No you don't. Your mistake is in thinking that things which have the same generic name must all be exactly the same thing. So football is all football whether it's association, rugby, gridiron, Gaelic or Aussie rules. The difference between our constitution, and one in which things are done by plebiscite, is much, much wider than the gap between association and rugby football, and it is trying to play under elements arbitrarily selected from either rulebook which has got us where we are now. Perhaps if we popularised the term "ochlocracy" for the thinking behind the Wilson and Cameron referendums (which is what it is) that would clear up the confusion, and save the "Did Magna Carta Die In Vain" crowd from bloviating itself to death.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

IanB2 said:

So if we don’t ‘respect’ the referendum we are heading to a facist future? Evidence please
  • Options
    nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

So if we don’t ‘respect’ the referendum we are heading to a facist future? Evidence please
    Que?!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

The problem for the Tories is that another referendum will finally rip the party apart. Personally I don’t have a problem with that but Johnson will do anything to avoid that. His desired outcome will be Brexit and then an election where he will hope the undemocratic electoral system will give him a working majority on 35% of the vote. That of course will rip the country apart.

It wouldn't actually as most Tories are now firmly behind Leave, certainly in the country, as is the Tory Leader (I am a Tory activist for example and voted Remain in 2016 but would now vote Leave and respect the first vote), while LDs and the SNP are firmly behind Remain.

If another referendum ripped any party apart it would be Corbyn Labour, where the recent Labour conference saw the party vote by the narrowest of margins not to commit to campaign for Remain against the wishes of most Labour members and where most Labour voters voted Remain but most Labour seats voted Leave.

I don't want another referendum but it could be win win for the Tories provided Boris campaigned for Leaed
    Only if they won a general election with a majority and were then prevented from forming a government as that would be disrespecting democracy

So you would support Jeremy Corbyn. You change with the wind. What kind of a supporter do you call yourself?
    Some results don’t deserve to be respected. Risking Godwin here, the German general elections of 1932 and 1933 spring immediately to mind. And the 1932 Western Australia independence referendum was not implemented. No violence there. In the case of the 2016 vote, the contradictory promises cannot be delivered so it cannot help but be dishonoured.
    The anti Secessionist Labour Party won the state election on the same date as the plebiscite so there were 2 contradictory results on the same day.

Had the 1932 and 1933 election results not been respected the Nazis would have taken power by force anyway
    The Nazis lost ground at the second Reichstag election held in late 1932. The tragedy was that they were manoeurvred into office by Oskar Von Hindenburg, Von Papen et al at the very moment they had lost momentum. Had the Weimar Republic survived but a further six months, the threat might well have receded significantly.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Omnium said:

Anything that's really worth having you can leave at any time. Life. Education. The countryside.

...this mortal coil
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    Poor wee Leo - fucked his tin pot country for a decade.
  • Options

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Que?!
    Sorry no matter how you look at that I think I put it in the wrong place was actually wasting my time replying to the blue team supporter.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Genius...
    But we have the Common Travel Area.
    Did someone say Commons? Prorogue it!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

Some results don’t deserve to be respnoured.

The Nazis lost ground at the second Reichstag election held in late 1932. The tragedy was that they were manoeurvred into office by Oskar Von Hindenburg, Von Papen et al at the very moment they had lost momentum. Had the Weimar Republic survived but a further six months, the threat might well have receded significantly.
    In the March 1933 elections the Nazis won 43% of the vote and 288 seats and with the 52 seats from the Nationalist Conservative DNVP crossed the 324 seats threshold needed for a majority.

It was a matter of when not if they came to power at that point
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

Is this about Argentina?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,561
    Omnium said:

FF43 said:

The Johnson Deal is BAD. The only good thing about it is that it will almost certainly never see light of day. The proposal retains the downsides of May's Deal, loses all of that deal's advantages, save one. It adds much more significant problems of its own, particularly for Northern Ireland. It's probably unworkable operationally and it misconceives the purpose of international treaties.

I get that Johnson's Deal is really a political manouevre for his domestic market. But it needs to be underpinned by a real deal.

Oh yes it's terrible.

Things that can't be left aside easily include taxation, failed marriages, gyms, mailing-lists.

None of the bad things are even slightly as hard to leave as the EU seems to be. It may well be that its that bad.

The problem with all of the above though is that despite all of the crap from the EU it isn't nearly as bad as it imagines itself to be. They could quite easily have presented themselves as they are, could quite easily have presented an easy exit with 'are you sure?'. They could have quite easily played the truth of their own game.

The Junkers, Verhofstadts, and Barniers of this process are in my view great villains - and that's viewed from either side.

"Junkers, Verhofstadts, and Barniers"?? How many of each of them are there?

No wonder they ran rings around May, Johnson and co.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Omnium said:

...this mortal coil
    But not the Hotel California
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

I don't want another referendum but it could be win win for the Tories provided Boris campaigned for Leave, if Remain wins narrowly Boris can be Alex Salmond 2 and win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP thanks to furious Leavers wanting revenge as the SNP did in 2015 after the narrow No vote in 2014.

If Leave wins again Boris would be triumphant as would the Tories with the Remainer parties shattered

Yes you are guilty of Godwin and you should be ashamed.

If you hold a vote and then do not abide by its result that is not democracy. It is the action of a nascent dictatorshop.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    TGOHF2 said:

Well that just about sums you up
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699

isam said:

As if the only options are parliament voting or another referendum!

What other option do you see?
    Rock, paper, scissors between Swindon and Farage. Best of five. Winner gets to implement their preferred outcome.

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

DougSeal said:

If you hold a vote and then do not abide by its result that is not democracy. It is the action of a nascent dictatorshop.
    Who are now running the govt.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

I don't want another referendum but it could be win win for the Tories provided Boris campaigned for Leave, if Remain wins narrowly Boris can be Alex Salmond 2 and win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP thanks to furious Leavers wanting revenge as the SNP did in 2015 after the narrow No vote in 2014.

If Leave wins again Boris would be triumphant as would the Tories with the Remainer parties shattered

It was advisory. If you ask for my advice, you are not obliged to take it.

Re Godwin... There's nothing to be ashamed about remembering how easily Germany stumbled into dictatorship - I advise you watch the BBC's Rise of the Nazis series, it's a salutory lesson for all generations.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Que?!
    Sorry no matter how you look at that I think I put it in the wrong place was actually wasting my time replying to the blue team supporter.
    Lol! So I guessed, but on PB you can never be sure.....
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

The anti Secessionist Labour Party won the state election on the same date as the
    In the March 1933 elections the Nazis won 43% of the vote and 288 seats and with the 52 seats from the Nationalist Conservative DNVP crossed the 324 seats threshold needed for a majority.

But they already had control of the levers of power by that time - Hitler having been Chancellor since 30th January. The last genuinely free elections were in Autumn 1932 when the Nazis lost ground compared with the Reichstag elections held earlier that year.
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Que?!
    Lol! So I guessed, but on PB you can never be sure.....
    Well there are times I do think there is a parallel universe out there that I’m not privileged to join.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Anyone Hungary for a no deal? 😂
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,122

Does anyone think Mark Francois and Guy Verhofstadt look similar ?

Guy is Klopp for me - minus the pearlies.
  • Options

At what point do you think I have the right to have a differing opinion? I think leaving the EU is wrong and I will use my vote to stop it, given any chance. At what point does this "nascent dictatorshop[sic]" become a valid democratic opinion?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Omnium said:

FF43 said:

Oh yes it's terrible.

Well this proposal is worse in every way than May's Deal that Johnson rejected. The deal was there and presumably still is. I'm not saying May's Deal is great. Simply that's it's better and available.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

So, you are claiming that marriage and taxation are worthless?

I agree on gyms and mailing-lists though...

• Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

You mean the March 1933 election that took place "after Nazi stormtroopers had unleashed a widespread campaign of violence against the Communist Party (KPD), left-wingers, trade unionists, the Social Democratic Party of Germany, and the Centre Party"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1933_German_federal_electionhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1933_German_federal_election

Simply astounding!
  • Options

Re Godwin... There's nothing to be ashamed about remembering how easily Germany stumbled into dictatorship - I advise you watch the BBC's Rise of the Nazis series, it's a salutory lesson for all generations.

Careful. Some people might take the... wrong lessons... from watching it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245

It is the confluence of direct and representative democracy.

That the referendum result hasn't been implemented is extraordinary on the face of it given the mandate from the people, but understandable (if not forgiveable) when you realise that the elected representatives were also acting democratically and along party political lines, again a part of our representative democracy.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

"The Tories - a Warning from History" from the mid-1990s was a much better series. Narrated by Samuel West, no less.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Looks like Hungary are being wooed to veto to me.

Or, at least, heavily flirted with to play mind games with the EU.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

They just got their Commissioner vetoed by the European Parliament.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    TOPPING said:

That the referendum result hasn't been implemented is extraordinary on the face of it given the mandate from the people, but understandable (if not forgiveable) when you realise that the elected representatives were also acting democratically and along party political lines, again a part of our representative democracy.
    Exactly. As noted above, it is like livening up the Premier League by incorporating some of the choicer Aussie Rules rules, but without doing anything to integrate them.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

"The Tories - a Warning from History" from the mid-1990s was a much better series. Narrated by Samuel West, no less.

I see what you did there - a reverse-Godwin no less :lol:
  • Options
    Noo said:

Careful. Some people might take the... wrong lessons... from watching it.
    Yeah - I bet Cummings has studied it!
  • Options
    Noo said:

At what point do you think I have the right to have a differing opinion? I think leaving the EU is wrong and I will use my vote to stop it, given any chance. At what point does this "nascent dictatorshop[sic]" become a valid democratic opinion?
    After the result of the vote has been implemented. A democracy is where you count all the votes and all the votes count.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Where did the impression that remain represented the so called metropolitan elite? When leave was always the campaign behind which the real elite hid to further their own financial gains. That is why we have a parliamentary democracy so that people do not make decisions on gut feel reactions.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Well then, if the Benn Act kills No Deal and the Hungarians play silly-buggers with the extension and the only Deal is unworkable, that only leaves one option

VoNC followed by Revoke. I am sure Ms Swinson would write the letter
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.
    What is it about the authoritarian, populist, xenophobic Hungarian government that made Boris think they were the best people to reach out to over this, do you think?
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

After the result of the vote has been implemented. A democracy is where you count all the votes and all the votes count.
    And if the vote is unimplementable?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

TOPPING said:

Where did the impression that remain represented the so called metropolitan elite? When leave was always the campaign behind which the real elite hid to further their own financial gains. That is why we have a parliamentary democracy so that people do not make decisions on gut feel reactions.
    Not entirely sure about the financial gains bit but both campaigns thought they knew best. And their respective supporters agreed with them.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Be careful what you wish for - faced with No Deal the HoC could be forced to Revoke A50.
  • Options
    NorthstarNorthstar Posts: 140
    edited October 2019
    Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.
    What is it about the authoritarian, populist, xenophobic Hungarian government that made Boris think they were the best people to reach out to over this, do you think?
    A fantastic free trade deal covering the very finest Tokaji?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

Some results don’t deserve to be respected. Risking Godwin here, the German general elections of 1932 and 1933 spring immediately to mind. And the 1932 Western Australia independent be dishonoured.

Ooops, did I mis-type there? :innocent:

Episode 1: "2010 - Helped into Power"

:)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Genius...
    HMG is the legitimate executive for foreign policy. Not random groups of MPs.
  • Options
    Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.
    They’re a member of the European Union. With the same rights as any other member State.

Their domestic situation is irrelevant. The European Union ensures all member states comply with and honour the principles on which it was founded.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Well then, if the Benn Act kills No Deal and the Hungarians play silly-buggers with the extension and the only Deal is unworkable, that only leaves one option

Snap!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.

They are no doubt being wooed - but I wonder what the UK could give that would compensate for what the EU could take away. Having thrown billions at the DUP that could have been spent on the NHS instead, we would have to throw billions more at the Hungarians. And all to ensure a No Deal that would cost us billions more. Johnson really is very free with other people's money, isn't he?!!

• Options
    Northstar said:

Noo said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.
    A fantastic free trade deal covering the very finest Tokaji?
    Damn, Tokaj is spectacularly good.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Be careful what you wish for - faced with No Deal the HoC could be forced to Revoke A50.
    If they did that, Boris could resign in disgust and demand a General Election. It is hard to see what other government could be formed afterwards so he would get it.
  • Options
    We discussed this the other day and just now. It is all about leavers taking control by getting a foreign power to overrule our parliament.

Then again them's the rules of the EU so all's fair and all that.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

Ok, so to be clear, you're saying that under your vision of democracy, my opinion is illegitimate. Is that right?
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

If they did that, Boris could resign in disgust and demand a General Election. It is hard to see what other government could be formed afterwards so he would get it.

But we would still have revoked!

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    TGOHF2 said:

You're an asset to this site IMO because you say out aloud what Johnson and his coterie clearly think. An attitude that the Irish must be all too conscious of.

You add insight. Thank you.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,122
    IanB2 said:

Hope you are not listening to US talk radio for more than - at most - 2 minutes at a time. You might think you're strong but best not to take chances.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

Some results don’t deserve to be respected. Risking Godwin here, the German general elections of 1932 and 1933 spring immediately to mind. And the 1932 Western Australia independent be dishonoured.

Just out of interest who did you vote for in 2010? :sunglasses:
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

So Boris stands on a platform of repealing the European Communities Act. Brexit vote goes to the Tory on a big turnout.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

Ok, so to be clear, you're saying that under your vision of democracy, my opinion is illegitimate. Is that right?
    I don't think your opinion is illegitimate. I think you support an illegitimate position. Just as I think someone that wants to bring back absolutist monarchh supports an undemocratic, illegitimate position.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.

They are no doubt being wooed - but I wonder what the UK could give that would compensate for what the EU could take away. Having thrown billions at the DUP that could have been spent on the NHS instead, we would have to throw billions more at the Hungarians. And all to ensure a No Deal that would cost us billions more. Johnson really is very free with other people's money, isn't he?!!

Not quite sure what you mean. All governments are “free”with other people’s money as they can only spend other people’s money.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Snap!
    So Labour would all vote for this?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

TGOHF2 said:

You're an asset to this site IMO because you say out aloud what Johnson and his coterie clearly think. An attitude that the Irish must be all too conscious of.

You add insight. Thank you.
    On a serious note getting caught between a UK focused on low tax/regulation post Brexit and an EU focused on the opposite would see Eire up shit creek, to put it mildly...

High stakes for all concerned.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes but who knows what the outcome of such an election would be, or even what the party platforms would be going into it.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

johnt said:

Just out of interest who did you vote for in 2010? :sunglasses:
    I think I voted Tory :blush:

But I voted Labour in 2015 :p
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.

Labour were all about hosing other peoples money up the wall and you were ok with that until they turned hard left and embraced the lunatic anti semitic left.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

I don't think your opinion is illegitimate. I think you support an illegitimate position. Just as I think someone that wants to bring back absolutist monarchh supports an undemocratic, illegitimate position.
    It's so nice to meet the arbiter of what legitimate positions are.
    Suppose I said to you that Brexit was an illegitimate, undemocratic position. Is that different because, well, I'm not you, the Chosen One?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    The only solution is ctr alt del or pull the plug out what a waste of three year to decide how badly you destroy your future all because the Tory party was worried about ......ha ha ha UKIP well let them sort it out and live and die with the consequences but it will always be what’s best for the Tory party not the country. You don’t have to look too far for evidence to support that
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Snap!
    Good luck with that

Brexit really has driven some people mad.
  • Options

Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes but who knows what the outcome of such an election would be, or even what the party platforms would be going into it.
    Nobody can know for sure, but I strongly believe Boris would get 40%+ of the vote while neither the Lib Dems or Labour would get over 30%.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Only having visited the US a couple of times and never having listend to talk radio there, is it really completely alt-right dominated and if so why?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    You
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Genius...
    It is expressly the law of the land it is not @HYUFD That was the point of the Act. Ireland left the Commonwealth so a special provision was made. Look at section 2 -

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo6/12-13-14/41/enacted
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 86
    People make a great deal about the result of the 2016 referendum being respected before there can be another vote. The problem with that argument is that it relies on an assumption that Johnson’s deal is what people believed was ‘Brexit’ when they voted in 2016. The reality is that the Johnson deal has no mandate and for most people is not what they thought was ‘Brexit’. In fact, it seems to me that Brexit isn’t Brexit and Leave is not Leave.

People I talk to are pretty certain that neither May’s deal nor Johnson’s deal are the Brexit they thought was on offer. So they don’t believe it has any form of democratic mandate.

I suspect if Johnson’s deal is implemented without a public vote it will never be accepted as a democratic outcome by a very large part of the U.K. population.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.

Not quite sure what you mean. All governments are “free”with other people’s money as they can only spend other people’s money.

Ever heard of sovereign wealth funds?
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.

Labour were all about hosing other peoples money up the wall and you were ok with that until they turned hard left and embraced the lunatic anti semitic left.

And you opposed it until it was being done by a friend of xenophobes, bigots and white supremacists!

• Options
    Noo said:

Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

Gabs2 said:

Noo said:

It's so nice to meet the arbiter of what legitimate positions are.
    Suppose I said to you that Brexit was an illegitimate, undemocratic position. Is that different because, well, I'm not you, the Chosen One?
    You are entitled to argue your case just as I am. Others can judge how compelling our cases are. That is the beauty of free speech and debate.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Lmao ! The Hungary veto again .

There are many battles they would like to have with the EU but Leavers are becoming desperate if they think they’re going to veto an extension .
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

So Boris stands on a platform of repealing the European Communities Act. Brexit vote goes to the Tory on a big turnout.

Yep - and then we spend another few years trying to get out of the European Union.

• Options
    On topic: this is another another poll that weights Leavers and Remainers back to the 52/48 split of three years ago.

What's the logic of that when we know more Leavers than Remainers will have passed away and the new under-22 voters are more Remain oriented?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

It’s what I’m hearing.

Let's not spend billions on the NHS, let's give it to the DUP and Hungary instead. Catchy :-D

• Options
    johnt said:

People make a great deal about the result of the 2016 referendum being respected before there can be another vote. The problem with that argument is that it relies on an assumption that Johnson’s deal is what people believed was ‘Brexit’ when they voted in 2016. The reality is that the Johnson deal has no mandate and for most people is not what they thought was ‘Brexit’. In fact, it seems to me that Brexit isn’t Brexit and Leave is not Leave.

People I talk to are pretty certain that neither May’s deal nor Johnson’s deal are the Brexit they thought was on offer. So they don’t believe it has any form of democratic mandate.

I suspect if Johnson’s deal is implemented without a public vote it will never be accepted as a democratic outcome by a very large part of the U.K. population.

Brexit is leaving the EU, nothing more, nothing less. The act of leaving, under any deal or no deal, has a mandate. The act of remaning is undenocratic. It is up to parliament whether they want to accompany the act of leaving with a deal.
  • Options
    johnt said:

100% right, other than Johnson's deal is not a deal. It's a proposal.
    It's only a deal if both parties agree. At the moment, it's far from clear that either party agrees. The technical description for a proposal that neither side agrees with is a "you spaffed your time up the wall, you stupid blond gimp, what the fuck were you thinking, this is such total garbage". Or "garbage" for short.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    https://twitter.com/adamfleming/status/1179827411233447938?s=21
    Feels like an accurate view of where we are at - if there’s enough wiggle room shown by Boris, we might see negotiators enter the fabled ‘tunnel’. Parliament and Ireland acting as bad cops in this negotiation, Junker as good cop (God help us)...
  • Options
    johnt said:

Johnson's proposals cannot work without the consent of the majority of people in Northern Ireland.

• Options

Gabs2 said:

Gabs2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Yep - and then we spend another few years trying to get out of the European Union.

With a massive Tory majority and all its Remainers deselected.
This discussion has been closed.