Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The pact that will make the Commons seat predictors a lot less

Comments

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

ydoethur said:

Yes, that would create a difficulty. This is true of a lot of Labour held seats that might otherwise be attractive targets for the Remain Alliance, such as Bristol West, Norwich South, Cambridge, Leeds North-West, etc.

Surely the most difficult question is what to do in Leave seats with Remain MPs, who really would be at risk in a Brexit dominated election. Caroline Flint springs to mind (if she stands again) or Mary Creagh.

Do they cut a deal with them even though Labour is not a Remainer party? Can they even do so?
    The thread header talks about a deal in 70 seats. Across the UK there are 63 seats which voted Remain by >65% and a further 99 seats which voted Remain by >55%. Some of these 162 seats will be in Scotland or Northern Ireland, or already held by the Lib Dems, Plaid or Greens, but I would guess that the remainder will account for the 70 seats to be targeted by the Remain Alliance.

So the other seats we can presume will essentially have [several] paper candidates [each] from the Remain Alliance.
    The deal has already been done in all the Welsh seats. That is 40 seats.

There are 30 seats left for England & Scotland. Presumably this includes the seats with the current LibDem MPs.

In almost all the Welsh seats, I just don't think this "Remain Alliance" will have much effect, except to depress the Plaid Cymru vote.

Perhaps in Brecon & Radnorshire (though YDoethur argues to the contrary), perhaps in Montgomeryshire. All to the marginal benefit of the LibDems.

Good luck to Plaid in winning votes in the Valleys.

The plucky LibDems have left Plaid Cymru the job of knocking on the doors of the Brexit voting majority in these areas and telling them they’re as thick as two short planks and a bunch of racists and they can’t be trusted to vote the way 'the Remain Alliance' wanted them to.
  • Options

How on earth can Hillary be laid at 13.5?

It's because the sane have maxed out.
    Does this mean an old bet on Gabbard at 22 is good value?
    "Asking for a friend"
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,636
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    nico67 said:

Does Trump actively want to create another migration crisis in Europe?

https://twitter.com/sppeoples/status/1182024931615358976?s=21

Worse than that . He’s basically saying he doesn’t give a fig if they come back to Europe and cause carnage .

The Kurds have been instrumental in defeating ISIS and the thanks they get is to be stabbed in the back and now the nutjob Erdogan is going to run riot .

Utterly despicable actions from Trump .
    Not giving a fig is one thing, but I think he actually calculates that this would help his re-election campaign.
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380

Does Trump actively want to create another migration crisis in Europe?

https://twitter.com/sppeoples/status/1182024931615358976?s=21

Well Russia helped create the first one, and Russia controls Trump. So it's less about what Trump wants and more about what he'll do.
    We need to have a sharp word with Turkey about this.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

The 1959 election is being broadcast live on BBC4 if anyone's interested.

Live?

Have we travelled back in time? Can we rerun 2016 without the referendum?
    I think it is very encouraging that we have developed time travel and are only using for responsible purposes, to enjoy historical moments like observing British General Elections.
    😁😁😁
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    Is anyone aware of any previous occasion where parliament has passed a law instructing a PM to do something and specifying how that something must be done? Is the Benn Act a first?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Live?

What do you mean 'Live'. You must think some of us haven't been born yet!

I was born in 1965 so that means ..... oops (disappears)!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

How dare anyone try to impersonate BritainElects or Opinium.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1181937892194705415

I'm intrigued now, what did the fake poll say?
    It had Con on 40%. #FakePollingNews
    Uhuh. Dom's black ops?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    Another attempt to dig up dirt on political opponents in exchange for a free trade deal/missile system?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Live?

I think it is very encouraging that we have developed time travel and are only using for responsible purposes, to enjoy historical moments like observing British General Elections.
    Any chance we could use it to see how Brexit turns out and save ourselves months (years?) of endless debate?
  • Options

How on earth can Hillary be laid at 13.5?

It's because the sane have maxed out.
    Does this mean an old bet on Gabbard at 22 is good value?
    "Asking for a friend"
    Buttigieg is better at 16.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Trump's an absolute [insert language that gets you banned from PB]

https://twitter.com/SenatorRomney/status/1182015168466882560

Starting to serious reappraise Romney. He is standing up for proper American values and sentiments. At least some are in the GOP.
    Mitt Romney was the one in 2012 who correctly identified Russia as the most serious strategic threat to the United States. He was laughed at at the time, because most people thought he was harking back to a very out of date view of the world, but in fact he was noticing the change in tone from Putin, from being a bit of a pussycat to adopting a quite nasty attitude towards the west. It was around the time that Putin was seriously embracing fascism.

Within four years, Putin had launched a hybrid war against Ukraine, attacked the democratic processes in USA and the UK, including hacking voting machines in all 50 US states in 2016, engaged in a terrifying campaign of civilian bombardment in Syria aimed at driving more refugees across the Mediterranean, and creating an RT- and Twitter-based propaganda machine designed to boost fascist parties in Europe, spread hatred of Muslims, destroy people's faith in democracy, destroy people's faith in media organisations, and destroy the concept of objective truth itself.

As much as I despise the Republican party for its virulently anti-progress standpoint, Romney deserves praise for being ahead of the curve on spotting where Putin was going. Obama, whom I like, was caught with his pants down over Russia. Inexcusable failure on his part.
    :+1:
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,538
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

The Syria decision is Trump's first serious mistake IMO.

No, going into business was Trump's first mistake.

Everything else flows naturally from that.
    Trump going into business was an inevitable reaction against hyper-liberalism.
  • Options
    The Village People are looking old these days.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    humbugger said:

Is anyone aware of any previous occasion where parliament has passed a law instructing a PM to do something and specifying how that something must be done? Is the Benn Act a first?

It’s very unusual . I can’t remember that happening before. But we live in exceptional times .
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    Re Trump,

The most important thing to remember is that - like a lot of rich people - he thinks only in terms of relative performance.

If the US does better than the EU, Japan and China, then his tenure has been a success. Even if the numbers are -10, -15, -20 and -25, then the US has outpeformed and he is a winner.

So, things that negatively affect the EU or China's economic growth (or political stability) are to be encouraged. Because they help the US "win", even if it is at the cost of Americans being - in absolute terms - poorer.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    edited October 2019
    He what now? What does that...why is he...I give up.

I know Trump probably says a lot of things designed to provoke apoplectic or confused reactions out of people who already do not like him, and as astonishing as his remarks often are they haven't hurt him to date, but it's increasingly difficult to believe there's method in the madness.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

humbugger said:

It’s very unusual . I can’t remember that happening before. But we live in exceptional times .
    Didn't the Cooper-Letwin Act (European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 2) Act 2019) effectively do this too?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_(Withdrawal)_Act_2019
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797
    edited October 2019
    humbugger said:

No I don't think it's ever happened before.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He what now? What does that...why is he...I give up.

I know Trump probably says a lot of things designed to provoke apoplectic or confused reactions out of people who already do not like him, and as astonishing as his remarks often are they haven't hurt him to date, but it's increasingly difficult to believe there's method in the madness.
    https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1182034394925670402
  • Options
    In terms of election campaigning what’s the excepted norms .

Are you allowed to use a foreign politician in your campaign material.

Clearly the best way for Labour is to tie Bozo to Trump .
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

ydoethur said:

Yes, that would create a difficulty. This is true of a lot of Labour held seats that might otherwise be attractive targets for the Remain Alliance, such as Bristol West, Norwich South, Cambridge, Leeds North-West, etc.

Surely the most difficult question is what to do in Leave seats with Remain MPs, who really would be at risk in a Brexit dominated election. Caroline Flint springs to mind (if she stands again) or Mary Creagh.

Do they cut a deal with them even though Labour is not a Remainer party? Can they even do so?
    The thread header talks about a deal in 70 seats. Across the UK there are 63 seats which voted Remain by >65% and a further 99 seats which voted Remain by >55%. Some of these 162 seats will be in Scotland or Northern Ireland, or already held by the Lib Dems, Plaid or Greens, but I would guess that the remainder will account for the 70 seats to be targeted by the Remain Alliance.

So the other seats we can presume will essentially have [several] paper candidates [each] from the Remain Alliance.

There are 30 seats left for England & Scotland. Presumably this includes the seats with the current LibDem MPs.

In almost all the Welsh seats, I just don't think this "Remain Alliance" will have much effect, except to depress the Plaid Cymru vote.

Perhaps in Brecon & Radnorshire (though YDoethur argues to the contrary), perhaps in Montgomeryshire. All to the marginal benefit of the LibDems.

The plucky LibDems have left Plaid Cymru the job of knocking on the doors of the Brexit voting majority in these areas and telling them they’re as thick as two short planks and a bunch of racists and they can’t be trusted to vote the way 'the Remain Alliance' wanted them to.
    Are you sure? The article says only "key seats" and specifies "England and Wales", and that the dynamics are different in Scotland and Northern Ireland. It doesn't say that the deal will apply to all 40 seats in Wales. It could just be for half a dozen.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

How likely is it today that a crowd would burst into 'For he's a jolly good fellow' following a declaration? I noticed that happened at both Billericay and Exeter in 1959.

Considerably less likely than in 1959 given a much higher proportion are not 'fellows.'
    And none of them is jolly good.
  • Options

nico67 said:

humbugger said:

Didn't the Cooper-Letwin Act (European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 2) Act 2019) effectively do this too?

It wasn’t so pointed in terms of actions and didn’t set out a template for the letter . May was useless but isn’t a law breaker .
  • Options
    I am amused that psephology is really the study of pebbles.
  • Options
    Yeh Gods. Beyond belief.

Hang your heads in utter shame Republicans. How can you get up in the mornings?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    rcs1000 said:

Re Trump,

The most important thing to remember is that - like a lot of rich people - he thinks only in terms of relative performance.

If the US does better than the EU, Japan and China, then his tenure has been a success. Even if the numbers are -10, -15, -20 and -25, then the US has outpeformed and he is a winner.

So, things that negatively affect the EU or China's economic growth (or political stability) are to be encouraged. Because they help the US "win", even if it is at the cost of Americans being - in absolute terms - poorer.

I remember a question to US citizens 25 years plus ago in the economist. At the time Japan was thought likely to outperform the US in the long-term. The question was to "stop Japan outperforming the US would they support a lower US growth rate, which would stifle Japan's growth" and the respondents replied in the affirmative. So it validates your view of Trump, thinking he is winning when he is losing!
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Increasingly feel that the 25th Amendment is going to eject Trump before any impeachment.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

I cannot imagine there would have been a previous time, because generally the way to achieve it would be to change the identity of the Prime Minister, and it is only the special circumstances of this time - the Brexit split crossing party lines when the leader of the opposition is so toxic to MPs who might otherwise cross the floor - that has made it possible.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Andy_JS said:

The Syria decision is Trump's first serious mistake IMO.

Presumably you mean this week?
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    edited October 2019
    nico67 said:

humbugger said:

I thought so too. Somebody downthread raised (facetiously I suspect) the prospect that the Benn Act infringed the PM's human rights. That reminded me of a recent column in the Sunday Times by Dominic Lawson which IIRC suggested that there is no precedent for parliament instructing a PM in the way the Benn Act does and that doing so is simply not the constitutional role of parliament. Might it be challenged in the courts on this basis?

My apologies if this point has been covered previously on PB.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Floater said:
    They claim it was a typo... I can’t work out what for?!
    Nurtured
    Ok that works
  • Options

Increasingly feel that the 25th Amendment is going to do for Trump before any impeachment.

Difficult to get away with that when he's so clearly lucid a lot of the time.
    He has his moments when one can believe he has dementia but he's clearly walking and talking, so any putative incapacity would be extremely difficult to justify.
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584
    Pesky fake polls !
  • Options

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

How likely is it today that a crowd would burst into 'For he's a jolly good fellow' following a declaration? I noticed that happened at both Billericay and Exeter in 1959.

Considerably less likely than in 1959 given a much higher proportion are not 'fellows.'
    And none of them is jolly good.
    It was only ever being polite, I suspect, rather than as a genuine indicator of jolly goodness. I expect we have a rose tinted views of politicians of a bygone age. There are probably people nostalgic for MPs of the 80s, but of the ones who are left from that time probably only half are any good.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183
    Noo said:

Cyclefree said:

I am contemplating life as a criminal in retirement feeding kitchen scraps to my chickens.

Fortunately there are few policemen in rural Cumbria and those that exist are busy investigating thefts of scones from tea shops.

So I may get away with it.

But, sshhhhh, don't tell anyone.

I'll find a policewoman to arrest you ;)
    So my gin and lemon was not enough for you then.

😥
  • Options

Increasingly feel that the 25th Amendment is going to eject Trump before any impeachment.

Very much doubt it. His Cabinet is stuffed full of business friends isn't it?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Are you sure? The article says only "key seats" and specifies "England and Wales", and that the dynamics are different in Scotland and Northern Ireland. It doesn't say that the deal will apply to all 40 seats in Wales. It could just be for half a dozen.
    In all the Welsh seats (except Ceredigion) there will be a Remain Alliance between Plaid Cymru/LibDems/Greens. That is 39 seats.

I don't know where OGH got the figure "70+" from for England & Wales.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    humbugger said:

nico67 said:

humbugger said:

I thought so too. Somebody downthread raised (facetiously I suspect) the prospect that the Benn Act infringed the PM's human rights. That reminded me of a recent column in the Sunday Times by Dominic Lawson which IIRC that there is no precedent for parliament instructing a PM in the way the Benn Act does and that doing so is simply not the constitutional role of parliament. Might it be challenged in the courts on this basis?

My apologies if this point has been covered previously on PB.
    Courts don't get to challenge Acts. That's what parliamentary sovereignty means.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Noo said:

Starting to serious reappraise Romney. He is standing up for proper American values and sentiments. At least some are in the GOP.
    Mitt Romney was the one in 2012 who correctly identified Russia as the most serious strategic threat to the United States. He was laughed at at the time, because most people thought he was harking back to a very out of date view of the world, but in fact he was noticing the change in tone from Putin, from being a bit of a pussycat to adopting a quite nasty attitude towards the west. It was around the time that Putin was seriously embracing fascism.

Within four years, Putin had launched a hybrid war against Ukraine, attacked the democratic processes in USA and the UK, including hacking voting machines in all 50 US states in 2016, engaged in a terrifying campaign of civilian bombardment in Syria aimed at driving more refugees across the Mediterranean, and creating an RT- and Twitter-based propaganda machine designed to boost fascist parties in Europe, spread hatred of Muslims, destroy people's faith in democracy, destroy people's faith in media organisations, and destroy the concept of objective truth itself.

As much as I despise the Republican party for its virulently anti-progress standpoint, Romney deserves praise for being ahead of the curve on spotting where Putin was going. Obama, whom I like, was caught with his pants down over Russia. Inexcusable failure on his part.
    Romney 2020 perhaps?
  • Options
    Trump is right to be bitter about WW2. Perhaps with a few more allies, his side could have won.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,370
    Oh, this is good, we don't believe No. 10's account of the Merkel call, but Trump's recollection of a conversation with Boris is faultless fact untainted by opinion.
  • Options
    Noo said:

Trump is right to be bitter about WW2. Perhaps with a few more allies, his side could have won.
    Not sure Trump believes that war is really over. He's working on a new front in the USA.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Noo said:

Romney 2020 perhaps?
    I'm on for beer money.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,939

Scumbag.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

In all the Welsh seats (except Ceredigion) there will be a Remain Alliance between Plaid Cymru/LibDems/Greens. That is 39 seats.

It's from the linked Sky News article. Have you heard directly from Plaid Cymru, or do you have a different source?
  • Options

Noo said:

Not sure Trump believes that war is really over. He's working on a new front in the USA.
    Like a lost Japanese soldier* in the jungle, fighting on because he doesn't realise his side surrendered fifteen years ago.

*with bone spurs
  • Options

malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

Floater said:

Bercow and Verhofstadt

What to say

So does ANYONE still think Bercow is a fit person for speaker?

Yes me
    Great speaker
    and me
    And me.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Says in the article she’s going on maternity leave, not quitting...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It's from the linked Sky News article. Have you heard directly from Plaid Cymru, or do you have a different source?
    I think I have seen which parties will fight each Welsh seat somewhere -- I will try and find a link.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,095
    egg said:

Andy_JS said:

No spoilers please.

My money would be on SuperMac increasing the Tory majority.
    I love watching people smoke on-screen. It makes me feel young again.
    The one that was an eye opener was I think the 1970 election repeat when Robin Day pretty much letched over Janet Fookes, he did have a thing for women with red hair.

Christ I cringed so hard my feet shrank three sizes.
    Everyone will be slipping their shoes off, this is just jaw dropping.

“Outside, in the Bentley, ten minutes. And bring your friend”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhHB0dOVOYs

Christ that is awful. The past is another country, indeed. Loved the bit of description of her hair colour "for those watching in black and white," though.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Trump also defended the woman who killed a motorcyclist in Northamptonshire, saying, "We've all done it."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-harry-dunn-anne-sacoolas-car-crash-us-diplomat-uk-a9149746.html
  • Options
    Given the history of the new Government with parliament so far, not sure this is exactly a blow...
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    rpjs said:

Noo said:

Romney 2020 perhaps?
    For those who like things a little mystical, Mitt Romney is supposed by some to be the subject of a Mormon prophecy about someone who saves the US when its constitution is hanging by a thread:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Horse_Prophecy

Well, it is. And Mitt could* be the man to lead the Republicans in Senate to impeach that motherfker.

*probably not
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Trump also defended the woman who killed a motorcyclist in Northamptonshire, saying, "We've all done it."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-harry-dunn-anne-sacoolas-car-crash-us-diplomat-uk-a9149746.html

I have to say I'm struggling to recall the time I knocked down and killed a motorcyclist.
  • Options

So much for being our most important ally :(
  • Options

Shall I? No, I shan't.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    I'm guessing Erdogan isn't doing Turkey's chances of joining the EU much good.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Tonight’s cunning plan.

Tomorrow: Boris Johnson is going to hand deliver the letter to EU HQ while dressed as a mandarin duck, set fire to the building with vanilla vodka and cooks’ matches, and escape in a hot air ballon.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

EU talks have essentially been frozen since the crackdown against the alleged coup-plotters in 2016.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Hugh Gaitskill says he accepts the will of the people (which makes a change) but dismisses Lord Hailshsm's argument the Labour defeat 'means the extinction of Socialism'.

"Lord Hailsham is not an authority on socialism."
    He had this great knack of sounding authoritative even when he knew the square root of bugger all about the topic 😆
  • Options
    Roger said:

Just watching a recording of the 'Tory Party at War'. Very funny particularly Alan Duncan. Speaks his mind! like 'Priti Patel the most useless and incompetent minister we've ever had'. Most of his predictions were right though Including that Patel would be in a Johnson Cabinet. What a bunch of shits the ERG were. How anyone voted for Johnson is just baffling. Surprisingly Farage is more likable than I'd imagined but in that company it's not too difficult

Where can I find this show?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Turkey hasn't cared about that for years.
    TGOHF2 said:
    Doesn't that demand mean opposition parties better vote for one of those options before the Summit?
  • Options

Whose the father!
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    Why does he need to. The EU will know he doesn't want to extend.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Tonight’s cunning plan.

Tomorrow: Boris Johnson is going to hand deliver the letter to EU HQ while dressed as a mandarin duck, set fire to the building with vanilla vodka and cooks’ matches, and escape in a hot air ballon.
    Sounds like a canard to me. Still, where there's smoke there's fire, and Boris is an absolut basket case, so it all fits.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    They are "seeking to obtain" an extension as Parliament wishes.

But Boris is then perfectly entitled to send another letter saying he doesn't want or agree with it if he wishes

We're getting to the point where Benn must be infringing Boris's human rights! :D
    I think that's right - Boris can send another letter but the EU will know they should rightly ignore it. It's clear which will be the official letter.
    The second letter doesn’t say he doesn’t want an extension. It says how he will use an extension
  • Options
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Hugh Gaitskill says he accepts the will of the people (which makes a change) but dismisses Lord Hailshsm's argument the Labour defeat 'means the extinction of Socialism'.

"Lord Hailsham is not an authority on socialism."
    He had this great knack of sounding authoritative even when he knew the square root of bugger all about the topic 😆
    I know you are sensitive on the subject, but I was under the impression that was the whole point of an Eton education!
  • Options
    Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

But Boris is then perfectly entitled to send another letter saying he doesn't want or agree with it if he wishes

We're getting to the point where Benn must be infringing Boris's human rights! :D
    I think that's right - Boris can send another letter but the EU will know they should rightly ignore it. It's clear which will be the official letter.
    The second letter doesn’t say he doesn’t want an extension. It says how he will use an extension
    It wont be up to him how he uses it, they know by the fact of the extension itself that he can be overruled by Parliament whenever it chooses.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578
    Dadge said:
    Are we getting an election?

We may just have a change of PM without a GE, or the opposition may let BoZo twist in the wind until Feb or so.
  • Options

Bloody baby...couldnt it write a letter to the EU asking for an extension in the womb or something...

I am sure the media are getting worse at reporting / spinning stuff.
  • Options
    Turkey was never going to join . This was a diplomatic game that was played . And several countries would have vetoed it anyway .

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Dadge said:

Well we're getting an election, so that's a yes then.

What's the betting parliament tries to meet that condition with a referendum instead?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019
    Forget mrs rooney / vardy bust up, this is really the #1 story in the world. It has huge potential fallout.
  • Options
    She quit in January too.

Did she come back in between, or is this the same story reheated?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

A fake poll is no better or worse than a genuine one at this stage in the game. Generate some random numbers, take your pick.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:

It wont be up to him how he uses it, they know by the fact of the extension itself that he can be overruled by Parliament whenever it chooses.
    Unless he wants to pass any statutes, he can use the extension however he pleases.
  • Options

Fake news, I'm afraid, Billy. Trump is a moron but he was actually talking about driving on the wrong side of the road by accident in a foreign country. I watched that segment of the presser, and Trump was very fair to be honest.
  • Options

Another attempt to dig up dirt on political opponents in exchange for a free trade deal/missile system?
    Nah - he’ll return the diplomats wife in exchange for “a number of things”

Possibly including banning wind farms near a golf course
  • Options

For the record, most of us have only done it while wearing blackface.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I have to say I'm struggling to recall the time I knocked down and killed a motorcyclist.
    Pissed, were you sir?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Ah, the old 'forgetfulness' defence. Let us know how that works out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

For the record, most of us have only done it while wearing blackface.
    You only apply the black to your face? #amateurhour
  • Options
    So is this the EU / Bercow.stitch up, extension with 2nd referendum clause.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,538

Andy_JS said:

A fake poll is no better or worse than a genuine one at this stage in the game. Generate some random numbers, take your pick.
    Rubbish. Genuine polls are very useful, (except for Corbyn supporters).
  • Options

tlg86 said:

EU talks have essentially been frozen since the crackdown against the alleged coup-plotters in 2016.
    Yet it's never taken off the table.
  • Options
    What he’s saying is the Kurds are acting out of their own self interest not because they are strong allies of the US and therefore we do t owe them any favours

That’s a plausible argument to make (even though he has made the wrong decision)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

So is this the EU / Bercow.stitch up, extension with 2nd referendum clause.

What could possibly go wrong?

(As 17.4m boycott the 2nd referendum......)
  • Options
    Maternity leave is not the same as quits
This discussion has been closed.