Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Things that nobody knows. What to watch out for in the coming

123457»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    As a Loughboroughite, perhaps @TwistedFireStopper3 should be allowed the final word on perhaps the most pointless argument on PB!

If he is still around, I would be interested in his thoughts on the Grenfell report. It does sound to me that while the frontline firefighters were often heroic, the management, operational training and situational command were behind the failure on the night. How much of this is individual failure, and how much systemic? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

Being charitable and assuming for a moment none of our parties are cult like, I think it is fair to say at the very least that even for a system which is treated a bit presidential despite not being so, we do tend to overdo the focusing on the party leaders a tad.
    Well, if it isn't Swinson talking about revoking Brexit - what else have the Libdems got? I'm clued up about politics, but I really don't know what else their distinctive offering to the voters entails.

I'm in a LD/Tory marginal....a bit like the choice between eating a pile of vomit/ or chomping on a rotten, maggot infested corpse.....

I will vote LD- but what a terrible choice.....
    Could be worse - I'm in a Tory safe seat :disappointed:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Why is Farage suddenly doing the Tories a favour?
  • Options
    Is he going to nationalize christmas as well as pret and premier league clubs?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

Being charitable and assuming for a moment none of our parties are cult like, I think it is fair to say at the very least that even for a system which is treated a bit presidential despite not being so, we do tend to overdo the focusing on the party leaders a tad.
    Well, if it isn't Swinson talking about revoking Brexit - what else have the Libdems got? I'm clued up about politics, but I really don't know what else their distinctive offering to the voters entails.

The worst thing about the LD's is that they are still spouting their bullshit about how they moderated the Tories in the coalition.....
    What did Labour do to moderate the Tories? Nothing. They lost election after election, in part because of the self-indulgent appointment of a far-left weirdo who befriends and touts anti-Semites.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

As a Loughboroughite, perhaps @TwistedFireStopper3 should be allowed the final word on perhaps the most pointless argument on PB!

I can think of much more pointless arguments.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Who do I want running the country? Seamus Milne or Dom Cummings?

God, this is a depressing election.

If only someone could start a party that campaigns against unelected bureacrats....
    Are those two really bureaucrats. I know a lot of faceless bureaucrats, and these arrogant svengalis strike me as quite different.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

kle4 said:

Do they still support legalizing cannabis?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Foxy said:

If he is still around, I would be interested in his thoughts on the Grenfell report. It does sound to me that while the frontline firefighters were often heroic, the management, operational training and situational command were behind the failure on the night. How much of this is individual failure, and how much systemic? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

As someone who does safety for a living, I'd bet that, regardless of any individual failures, the key failures will turn out to be systemic. Upwards of 90% of those who make an error that is not intentional thought they were doing the right thing. So the question must always be, what about the system made them think that was the right thing?
  • Options

tyson said:

kle4 said:

I'm in a LD/Tory marginal....a bit like the choice between eating a pile of vomit/ or chomping on a rotten, maggot infested corpse.....

Ditto. Interesting to see what numpty gets parachuted into Duncan's old patch. He was always invisible locally, and rude personally but still got 60% of the vote.

There are only a hundred or so seats of interest. The remaining 5/6 of us might as well not bother, such are the Joy's of FPTP.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1189670103736049665

The Conservative Party is over.

Whatever Johnson leads, its not conservative.

It is more conservative than it was from 2010-2015
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

So we get new parties. Why not. It is hard to argue 20th-21st century Britain has been SUCH a success all the major parties need to endure for another 100 years.

Since the second world war, we've done some good things and some bad things. We have been in relative decline for much of that time, but life has got better for millions (as elsewhere).

It's a mixed record. Maybe new parties will improve the picture.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Deleted: duplicate
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We are courting disaster by allowing this to continue.

MPs are quitting in fear.

It is unacceptable and very worrying
    Another reason not to have an election when day light is in short supply IMO. I have a really bad feeling that someone is going to get attacked as the papers crank up division and hatred. It might not be an MP seeking re-election but a foot soldier who is taken unawares...
    I do not think we should be intimidated though
    I would not! :wink:

On a similar subject:
    Membership has declined if not collapsed where as Corbyn has Half a million potential members as foot soldiers! Just saying...
    Erhhh rather than declining isn't the Tory membership the highest its been in ages (170k or something), while its Labour who have been losing members (albeit still with way more than the Tories)?
    winning and losing...
    That is rubbishsplit
    Sorry, I disagree.
    The BBC poll average of Tories 36%, Labour 24%, LDs 18% tells you all you need to know. Indeed I now expect a bigger Labour to Tory swing in London than the North
    I don't agree. I think for mley:
    What 'catastrophic misjudgeection
    No EU extension.
    Boris would rather resign, than have the extension.
    UK would leave on 31/10/2019.
    BJ would not send the letter - different to not signing it.
    These are just the last two weeks...
    I said there would only be an EU extension with a general election or EUref2, we are getting a general election. I said Boris would aim to leave on 31st October, MPs blocked him.

Boris sent no letter requesting extension, just a copy of the Benn Act unsigned and a signed letter with his view opposing extension
    You told us Bozo was a man of principle who would resign rather than break his promise by running with an extension (which was agreed before the GE was agreed, in any event)
    The LDs and SNP made clear they would back a GE before the EU confirmed the extension
  • Options
    Just watching the ITV Border news - they've gone to Workington to vox pop Workington Man.

Workington Man is not keen on that Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

It's not a fact, it's your opinion. An opinion that is self-contradictory because it insists on cancelling the democracy of my elected MP representing her constituents by voting freely in the Commons to the best of her judgement.

You do not preserve democracy in such a way. It's a conflict and a difficult one, but one we can work through peacefully if we don't use threats of violence to try and get our way.

There is no threat. That is simply another way of you trying to close down an argument you don't agree with. Warning about something and threatening it are entirely different and it is clear you try to conflate them because you are not willing to face uncomfortable truths.

Democracy is preserved by adhering to it even when you lose. That is a lesson that clearly the Remain side have failed to learn.
    I didn't say you made a threat. I do say that you are an apologist for the people making those threats to MPs.

Leavers also lost an election. Many elections. They have never elected a majority of MPs who support an agreed way of us leaving the EU.

It is undemocratic to say that the referendum overrides all other votes.
    All those other votes were enacted. The only one which has not been followed through is the one that Leave won.
    But you don't want those votes enacted because you want to restrict the freedom of MPs to vote as they judge appropriate in the Commons.

This goes back to the fundamental problem with Brexit - the Commons that voted for the referendum wasn't in favour of Brexit, of the change that was proposed. It was an abdication of responsibility to vote for the referendum in that circumstance.

One way this could be resolved is if a majority for a specific Leave proposition is elected. I do not think you resolve it by insisting that MPs vote against their personal judgement.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Just watching the ITV Border news - they've gone to Workington to vox pop Workington Man.

Who is?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

tyson said:

kle4 said:

I couldn't live anywhere where I am surrounded by Tories......I am in a LD Marginal- only because the boundaries were changed which roped in a bunch of narrow minded, parochial Tories living in Abingdon (a safe 8 miles away from me)...Noone where I live would admit to voting Tory even if they did.....
  • Options

To be fair on Jezza, he genuinely seems to understand football fans. His plans for fan ownership ala Barca, redistribution of funds to lower leagues and introduction of safe standing areas are reasonably popular. Eccentric billionaire club owners are a mixed blessing, few clubs are as blessed as Leicester City with sane far-sighted owners.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    A Survation poll of Jewish VI for the Jewish Times:

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/election-poll-2019-survation-jn/

Cons 64% (-3)
    LibDem 24% (+19)
    Lab 6% (-4).

Changes since ‘17 GE
  • Options
    Byronic said:

So we get new parties. Why not. It is hard to argue 20th-21st century Britain has been SUCH a success all the major parties need to endure for another 100 years.

Since the second world war, we've done some good things and some bad things. We have been in relative decline for much of that time, but life has got better for millions (as elsewhere).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX_96uKZ7yQ
  • Options
    I do love a bit of random parliamentary trivia - I did not know it took until the 19th C for Acts of Parliament to be given Short Titles for citation purposes, and that they had to pass an Act to give short titles to old Acts. I find that delightful for some reason.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

I couldn't live anywhere where I am surrounded by Tories......I am in a LD Marginal- only because the boundaries were changed which roped in a bunch of narrow minded, parochial Tories living in Abingdon (a safe 8 miles away from me)...Noone where I live would admit to voting Tory even if they did.....
    Oh really
    https://twitter.com/DNimmo_Smith/status/1189211731794563075?s=20
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

You get to vote for Layla? Lucky fellow! She is great.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Mate....an ideological, Europe hating, right wing cult run by the degenerate Johnson is going to do sweet fuck all to improve the country......
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112
    nico67 said:

More rumours the Brexit Party is going to stand in just a small amount of seats , high Labour Leave areas .

I suppose the thinking is to help take Labour Leavers away and allow the Tories to come through .

If they don’t stand though in many other areas then what do Labour Leavers do if they have no party to vote for.

That's a trick question. Where the Brexit Party doesn't stand, they'll probably vote Labour. Quite a few may also vote Labour where the Brexit Party does stand. It depends on whether the Labour campaign reaches them. That's what will decide this election. Keep the 40% he got two years ago and Corbyn gets in.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    MTimT said:

Foxy said:

As someone who does safety for a living, I'd bet that, regardless of any individual failures, the key failures will turn out to be systemic. Upwards of 90% of those who make an error that is not intentional thought they were doing the right thing. So the question must always be, what about the system made them think that was the right thing?
    The ability to sign off against building standards by “desktop research” rather than actual testing, for example for fire resistance.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,347

That Momentum group is interesting - Momentum sending round friendly articles to share. The one today was one about Tories joking about Corbyn's Grenfell tie. What's interesting is that you'd assume someone like Cummings would have a plan to counter it - after all Facebook targeting was the leave campaigns' signature move - although in an age of people being fed up of Fake News and social media fears the subtler and better policy might be to turn it against itself - the nasty Corbynite hordes coming for your Britain...etc.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

This says more about your status anxiety and social neuroses than anything more political.

To be fair, there are a lot of people like you, Middle class affluent types who are so scared of being seen as anything lower, they overreact into absurd Tory-hatred and egregious virtue signalling, just to SHOW how MIDDLE CLASS and NICE they really ARE.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Oh really
    I don't know if I admire you H, or I don't know....where did you find that?
    Granted it is just around the corner from where I live
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited October 2019
    kle4 said:

I do love a bit of random parliamentary trivia - I did not know it took until the 19th C for Acts of Parliament to be given Short Titles for citation purposes, and that they had to pass an Act to give short titles to old Acts. I find that delightful for some reason.

That’s interesting. The Act to name the old ones must be even weirder than the Interpretation Act.
  • Options
    No national opinion polls for 5 days, it seems.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Oh really
    As an Oxfordshire politics obsessive, let me tell you, HYUFD, if you’re quoting DNS you have truly jumped the shark.

Even the Conservatives I know think he’s an embarrassment.
  • Options
    MJW said:

That Momentum group is interesting - Momentum sending round friendly articles to share. The one today was one about Tories joking about Corbyn's Grenfell tie. What's interesting is that you'd assume someone like Cummings would have a plan to counter it - after all Facebook targeting was the leave campaigns' signature move - although in an age of people being fed up of Fake News and social media fears the subtler and better policy might be to turn it against itself - the nasty Corbynite hordes coming for your Britain...etc.
    One thing about Facbook Ads and similar, is that pieces shared by friends are ten times as effective at influencing as paid for ads. That cyberpresence is quite a Labour asset.

Indeed, I might need to reactivate my dormant Facebook account to get a feel of what is going on. I have suspended it for most of this year as Facebook seems to be a particularly unpleasant user of data. Google has far more of my data, but at least doesn't spam me with Bannanite fascism.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    Byronic said:

IanB2 said:

The other BBC documentary worth seeing (now only the accessible version) shows how just a few years after a democratic election a government began murdering its opponents in a concentration camp and then turning up and shooting them in their own homes.

The only reason Sean and Tyndall can talk out of their backsides is lack of experience of what democracy being taken away really means.

Please stop calling me Sean. It is an insult to his greatness
    [psychiatrist fees intensify...]
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

An outrage.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

You get to vote for Layla? Lucky fellow! She is great.

I am quite fond of Layla....she's a bit bonkers, but much better than Jo Swinson...

Whatever happened to Dr Evan Whatshischops? he whom I lost a huge amount betting on 2010
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    IanB2 said:

Cons 64% (-3)
    LibDem 24% (+19)
    Lab 6% (-4).

Changes since ‘17 GE

Is it the SNP/Greens down lots to make the numbers add up?

The article doesn't say. Data tables not yet up on the Survation website. Will have to wait to find out.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scottish polling.

Having a quick look at scotland only polling. It looks a lot like that YouGov have the SNP a fair bit higher than other pollsters.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

An outrage.
    +1
  • Options
    Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

This says more about your status anxiety and social neuroses than anything more political.

To be fair, there are a lot of people like you, Middle class affluent types who are so scared of being seen as anything lower, they overreact into absurd Tory-hatred and egregious virtue signalling, just to SHOW how MIDDLE CLASS and NICE they really ARE.
    Nah, it just isn't pleasant being surrounded by xenophobia. The map of Remainia is a pretty good guide of where to live in the country.
  • Options

kle4 said:

That’s interesting. The Act to name the old ones must be even weirder than the Interpretation Act.
    Apparently the Habeus Corpus Act 1679 used to be 'An Act for the better securing the LIberty of the subject and for prevention of imprisonments beyond the seas', which admittedly is not as snappy.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1896/14/pdfs/ukpga_18960014_en.pdf
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    One year when my then juniors age kids were becoming a bit sceptical that Father Christmas could carry enough toys for all the children of the world, I persuaded them that he solved the logistics by simply making deliveries at the homes of the good children and collecting toys from the homes of the bad ones for future redistribution....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Nah, it just isn't pleasant being surrounded by xenophobia. The map of Remainia is a pretty good guide of where to live in the country.
    Newham voted Remain, as did Slough, as did Glasgow.

Devon and Cornwall voted Leave
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    IanB2 said:

Cons 64% (-3)
    LibDem 24% (+19)
    Lab 6% (-4).

Changes since ‘17 GE

Changes add up to +12 why??
  • Options
    Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

No...I couldn't stand being confronted by fucking parochial Tories in my daily life talking bollox about Brexit and terrified that Corbyn is going to take away their money
  • Options
    tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Oh really
    My partner also lives in North Oxford and remember even Oxford East had a Tory MP until 1987, it may be a left liberal majority now but there are still Tories there
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Inner city shitholes, stockbroker belts, university towns and Scotland ?

But seriously one thing which I don't think has had enough research on is how levels of home ownership correlate to the Referendum result.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cons 64% (-3)
    LibDem 24% (+19)
    Lab 6% (-4).

Changes since ‘17 GE

Why labour arent hurt by having an antisemite enabler still in charge of labour party...no more votes to lose.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Looks like The Mail has a poll but can't see any voting intention on their front page.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

What a narrow minded, prejudiced person you are if that is true. Reminds me of the attitudes of 1960s bigots who couldn't live near blacks.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

IanB2 said:

Cons 64% (-3)
    LibDem 24% (+19)
    Lab 6% (-4).

Changes since ‘17 GE

Why labour arent hurt by having an antisemite enabler still in charge of labour party...no more votes to lose.
    6% lol - how fucking poor is that
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

South Hams voted Remain. Nice spot for my holidays, you can keep Skegness.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Oh really
    My partner also lives in North Oxford and remember even Oxford East had a Tory MP until 1987, it may be a left liberal majority now but there are still Tories there
    I think the last time a Tory won a council seat in Oxford was in 1994.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    edited October 2019
    Poll in tomorrow's mail puts Boris ahead of Corbyn on the NHS and leads in most questions plus poll lead of 8%

34/26/19/12
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

What a narrow minded, prejudiced person you are if that is true. Reminds me of the attitudes of 1960s bigots who couldn't live near blacks.
    Well Tyson does have a habit of living in 'hideously white' areas :wink:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Sorry to be a pedant but didn't Slough vote Leave?
  • Options

Poll in tomorrow's mail puts Boris ahead of Corbyn on the NHS and leads in most questions plus poll lead of 8%

Only 8%...squeaky bum time.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Oh really
    Stephen 'shagger' Norris only got in for one - 4 year term. You probably remember he was MP for that part of Oxford because he later became the MP for Epping Forest but gave that up famously to spend more time with his money! He was also accused of having several mistresses at the same time. Personally, having met hem once 20 years ago I think he is a complete arsehole...
  • Options
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

The worst thing about the LD's is that they are still spouting their bullshit about how they moderated the Tories in the coalition.....
    Okay. I'll bite. The Coalition was a pretty good Government. Not perfect, for sure. But it was a stable five year period following an horrific recession. It never really had a pot to p1ss in, but did some decent things on tax thresholds, pupil premium, gay marriage (all Lib Dem lead).

I got a lot of folk on the doorsteps in 2015 who, frustratingly then and now, said, "I like the Coalition, so am voting Tory." Four years later and it's been unmitigated chaos.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

In shock news this country is one if not the most tolerant countries in the EU

Not that a remainer would ever admit it.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Inner city shitholes, stockbroker belts, university towns and Scotland ?

But seriously one thing which I don't think has had enough research on is how levels of home ownership correlate to the Referendum result.
    Home owners without mortgages were more likely to vote Leave, but that is probably just an indirect way of saying pensioners.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Pierrot said:

nico67 said:

More rumours the Brexit Party is going to stand in just a small amount of seats , high Labour Leave areas .

I suppose the thinking is to help take Labour Leavers away and allow the Tories to come through .

If they don’t stand though in many other areas then what do Labour Leavers do if they have no party to vote for.

That's a trick question. Where the Brexit Party doesn't stand, they'll probably vote Labour. Quite a few may also vote Labour where the Brexit Party does stand. It depends on whether the Labour campaign reaches them. That's what will decide this election. Keep the 40% he got two years ago and Corbyn gets in.

More fascinating for me is Scotland. Just looking through the detailed seat-by-seat projection below, in virtually every Scottish seat the Tories lose - often by projected narrow margins - the BXP vote is significantly bigger than the SNP winning margin. If BXP don't stand at all in Scotland for example - where are their votes going? If they largely go Tory, a number of those Scottish Tory seats presumed lost might still squeak home.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

What pathetic nonsense. Cornwall is beautiful = Leave.

Likewise Dorset, Somerset, Pembrokeshire, north Devon, Herefordshire, the Lake District, Shropshire, Breconshire, Wiltshire, the Broads, the Weald, Snowdonia. THEY ALL VOTED LEAVE.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

South Hams voted Remain. Nice spot for my holidays, you can keep Skegness.

Isn't that sacrilege coming from a Leicester man ?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Oh really
    I think the last time a Tory won a council seat in Oxford was in 1994.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Oxford_City_Council_election

Marston. Tory gain from Lab.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

C4 news went to Warrington and found a bloke from Workington.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Yeah but only the better sort of white clearly.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

He's got a point I couldn't stand living in SW London surrounded by bleeding heart virtue signalling Liberals who paid a fortune for houses in non diverse areas.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Likewise Dorset, Somerset, Pembrokeshire, north Devon, Herefordshire, the Lake District, Shropshire, Breconshire, Wiltshire, the Broads, the Weald, Snowdonia. THEY ALL VOTED LEAVE.
    Snowdonia voted Remain
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Whatever you can say about the Isle of Leicester in the Remania archipelago, hideously white is unlikely to feature!

https://images.app.goo.gl/tdZ5JN8nLSKSTVn86
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Which says more about you than anyone else

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019
  • Options

34/26/19/12

Yeah, but Corbyn's just getting warmed up. He must be so happy right now. No internal wrangling, no Commons gameplaying to worry about, just get out there, say the cliched things, talk to people, and have some fun. Since his seat is safe either way it doesn't even matter if Labour win or lose.

Boris strikes me as more of a worrier - he can bluster, but has less self confidence than he tries to project. I don't think Corbyn has any doubts once he gets going on campaign. Which is not always for the better, but helps his delivery I am sure.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

It did.

The whole discussion is fundamentally flawed as different types of place are appropriate in varying amounts to different types of people.

Which is a good thing as the world would be a worse place if we all wanted exactly the same thing.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Snowdonia voted Remain
    In all honesty, what do you expect from troglodytes living - literally - in caves made of slate? Of COURSE they are Remain. Idiotic bigots.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Oh really
    Stephen 'shagger' Norris only got in for one - 4 year term. You probably remember he was MP for that part of Oxford because he later became the MP for Epping Forest but gave that up famously to spend more time with his money! He was also accused of having several mistresses at the same time. Personally, having met hem once 20 years ago I think he is a complete arsehole...
    He fell out with the blue rinse ladies who ran the EFCA as his wife regularly took tea with them and they were not a fan of his affairs, hence his replacement by Eleanor Laing in 1997
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Whatever you can say about the Isle of Leicester in the Remania archipelago, hideously white is unlikely to feature!

https://images.app.goo.gl/tdZ5JN8nLSKSTVn86
    About as unlikely as Tyson is to move there :wink:
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Apologies, you are right, Luton voted Remain though
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

He's got a point I couldn't stand living in SW London surrounded by bleeding heart virtue signalling Liberals who paid a fortune for houses in non diverse areas.
    Mate. Feel for me. An international male model about to undergo surgical gender-swap, so as to gain a mangina, and who regrets his Remain vote, yet stuck in fucking Richmond. With people like TYSON.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    kle4 said:

34/26/19/12

Yeah, but Corbyn's just getting warmed up. He must be so happy right now. No internal wrangling, no Commons gameplaying to worry about, just get out there, say the cliched things, talk to people, and have some fun. Since his seat is safe either way it doesn't even matter if Labour win or lose.

Boris strikes me as more of a worrier - he can bluster, but has less self confidence than he tries to project. I don't think Corbyn has any doubts once he gets going on campaign. Which is not always for the better, but helps his delivery I am sure.
    Maybe it is because Corbyn passionately believes in the things he advocates where as BJ only believes in things that suit him...
  • Options

Byronic said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

Snowdonia voted Remain
    As did Cardigan bay, the South Hams, the South Lakes.

I note Primrose Hill is a very nice spot in Remania, perhaps @Byronic should explore there. I hear transitioning international male models are welcome there.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

Byronic said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

In shock news this country is one if not the most tolerant countries in the EU

Not that a remainer would ever admit it.
    “Look how tolerant I am. I’m the most liberal, welcoming person in the whole EU. I BLOODY HATE 48% OF THE POPULATION THOUGH”
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited October 2019
    Edit
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tyson said:

tyson said:

kle4 said:

That sounds like you live in a narrow minded parochial place if people are afraid to admit their political leanings to their neighbours
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    In the data:

Trustworthy
    Johnson -30
    Corbyn -37
    Swinson +20
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,245

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

The next set of Conservative MPs will be further to the right than any set we have ever seen before. If Johnson really is the socially liberal, Tory wet we are told he is, then he will be as isolated in his Parliamentary party as Corbyn is in his.

I don't believe the spin about him being socially liberal. He is instigating the change in the PCP. I don't believe he has any intention of implementing a UK/EU deal either in relation to Brexit and will cause the UK to leave the EU on a No Deal basis. He would not be changing the PCP composition as he has been if this was not really his intention..
    Boris is not a social liberal who believes in open door immigration and backs extinction rebellion, however is not a social conservative who opposes gay marriage and abortion either, he is a social moderate
    I don’t think he has any political views or principles at all.

Which as I recall is what his first boss concluded back in his journalist days.

He does however pursue a liberal lifestyle.
    If Boris was a social conservative he would oppose gay marriage, oppose abortion, have abstained from pre marital sex and be sceptical about climate change. As we know none of that applies to him, Ann Widdecombe is a genuine social conservative, Boris is not
    Er... plenty of social conservatives have indulged in pre- and extra-marital sex. Social conservatives tend to prioritise interfering with other people's lives above adopting their strictures themselves.
    yep, about as convincing as "Trump isn't rightwing because he always cheats on his wives"
This discussion has been closed.