Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE19’s first big TV event: A debate between 2 men whose partie

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE19’s first big TV event: A debate between 2 men whose parties between them got just 23.2% in the last UK elections

I alway felt a bit sorry for ITV at GE2017 when the leaders’ debate it got was the one without TMay or Corbyn. Maybe because of that it has sought to push forward with its Johnson-Corbyn clash without anybody else. This means excluding Jo Swinson and Nigel Farage of the two most electorally successful parties currently in the UK.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Good morning!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,979
    There's a simple solution to this. I would bet that YouTube, Channel Four and Channel Five would be very happy to organise a Farage-Swinson debate. I would also reckon that such a debate would be a lot more enjoyable to watch that Corbyn-Johnson,

LibDems and Brexiteers - go for it!
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    This TV debate topic has become a running sore for the last decade it seems. It will never satisfy all the main players, is there anyway this can be taken out of the hands of the broadcasters and party PR machines? I'd prefer something like OFCOM but even then suspect it will be debated about. 2 white men over the age of 50 hardly represents what UK politics should be about.
  • Options
    Forget the LD spin. Almost half their MPs are defectors, not directly elected, but with or without them, the LibDems are not even our third party: the SNP is.

If Swinson has any sense, she will let Boris and Corbyn get on with it, and press for her own head-to-head with Farage. First, she will get more airtime, half as opposed to a third or a fifth or an eighth; second, she will win, at least as far as Remain-leaning voters are concerned; third, it allows Farage to peel off Leave-inclined voters from the two main parties, thus making the LibDems' task easier.

Not to mention that, as OGH implies, Boris will probably take any excuse to skip the debate anyway.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Forget the LD spin. Almost half their MPs are defectors, not directly elected, but with or without them, the LibDems are not even our third party: the SNP is.

If Swinson has any sense, she will let Boris and Corbyn get on with it, and press for her own head-to-head with Farage. First, she will get more airtime, half as opposed to a third or a fifth or an eighth; second, she will win, at least as far as Remain-leaning voters are concerned; third, it allows Farage to peel off Leave-inclined voters from the two main parties, thus making the LibDems' task easier.

Not to mention that, as OGH implies, Boris will probably take any excuse to skip the debate anyway.

I notice that back in 2015, the LibDems weren't keen to let European election performance or opinion polls or even by-elections determine who were in the debates...

Still, I'd argue that the LibDems have a better argument for being at the top table than the SNP. They got two and a half times the number of votes the SNP got, and are actually standing in almost all the constituencies.
  • Options
    Swinson and Farage should collaborate on a live feed streamed over the internet of the Jez-Boz debate, only with them in control of the audio and video, and able to butt in and heckle, and overlay graphics. This would be *way* more entertaining than the original thing, hopefully it would get more viewers.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2019
    rcs1000 said:

I notice that back in 2015, the LibDems weren't keen to let European election performance or opinion polls or even by-elections determine who were in the debates...

Still, I'd argue that the LibDems have a better argument for being at the top table than the SNP. They got two and a half times the number of votes the SNP got, and are actually standing in almost all the constituencies.
    This is how it spirals out of control, like last time. The LibDems want to take part on the basis you state. Then the SNP is admitted because they are the third party by seats. And if you have the SNP, you ought to have Plaid Cymru as the corresponding nationalist party in Wales. And if PC, then the Greens. Oh, and let's not forget BXP on the back of the Euros.

And now you've got a 7- or 8-way debate which will be chaotic and uninformative, so Boris will decline, and if Boris declines so will Corbyn, especially after the way Ed Miliband was stitched up in 2015. This leaves the LibDems scrabbling for attention in a 5-way also-rans debate.

So a Pyrrhic victory for Swinson. No, she should aim directly for the Farage head-to-head for the reasons already stated.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

This is how it spirals out of control, like last time. The LibDems want to take part on the basis you state. Then the SNP is admitted because they are the third party by seats. And if you have the SNP, you ought to have Plaid Cymru as the corresponding nationalist party in Wales. And if PC, then the Greens. Oh, and let's not forget BXP on the back of the Euros.

And now you've got a 7- or 8-way debate which will be chaotic and uninformative, so Boris will decline, and if Boris declines so will Corbyn, especially after the way Ed Miliband was stitched up in 2015. This leaves the LibDems scrabbling for attention in a 5-way also-rans debate.

So a Pyrrhic victory for Swinson. No, she should aim directly for the Farage head-to-head for the reasons already stated.
    Oh, I agree with you. l'd argue that the LDs had a case for being top table when they were getting 20+% of the vote, but don't right now. If they get 20% this time around, then next time, they'll deserve their spot. There needs to be some kind of barrier.

But if Ms Swinson has any sense*, she'll use this to her advantage through organising a competing debate. Both her and Farage would be winners if they went head-to-head, because they're not fishing in the same pond.

* She doesn't have any sense
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    What on earth has gender got to do with it? Simply demeans the argument - especially coming from the LDs whose record on these matters is hardly impressive - Lord Rennard for tea ladies!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2019
    Speaker election betting -- Chris Bryant is now just about the second favourite on Betfair, behind the long odds-on favourite, Lindsay Hoyle.

Ah, this could be why (it seems more likely than my mentioning him the other day):
    In a letter to Monday's Daily Telegraph six Tories including Cabinet Office minister Mr Gove, Transport minister Chris Heaton-Harris and former Cabinet minister Greg Clark backed Mr Bryant in part because he has the "sense of humour to defuse tension" in the House.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/03/labour-mp-chris-bryant-backed-senior-tories-including-michael/
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    "The argument goes that the ITV programme will be limited to just the two leaders who it is argued can become PM after December 12th.

I’d suggest that that is wrong."
    Even if you think that the only possible prime minister is Johnson, that does not mean there should be no debates.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    eristdoof said:

"The argument goes that the ITV programme will be limited to just the two leaders who it is argued can become PM after December 12th.

Even if you think that the only possible prime minister is Johnson, that does not mean there should be no debates.

I guess Mike's unstated point is that the Lib Dems will demand that Corbyn goes. They might be able to demand that, but I think it's unrealistic to think that the leader of the Labour Party wouldn't become PM after a GE at which they've ousted the Tories from office.
  • Options
    BJTBJT Posts: 14

Speaker election betting -- Chris Bryant is now just about the second favourite on Betfair, behind the long odds-on favourite, Lindsay Hoyle.

Ah, this could be why (it seems more likely than my mentioning him the other day):
    In a letter to Monday's Daily Telegraph six Tories including Cabinet Office minister Mr Gove, Transport minister Chris Heaton-Harris and former Cabinet minister Greg Clark backed Mr Bryant in part because he has the "sense of humour to defuse tension" in the House.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/11/03/labour-mp-chris-bryant-backed-senior-tories-including-michael/

I hate to imply there's some politicking in the choice for the next speaker but it's posible the numbers provide a clue to the background to this letter.

Hoyle is the natural favourite, well regarded deputy & Labour member. But... He also represents a heavily leave seat that with the current polling might just be in range for Tories to win at GE19. (It's a push by why take the opportunity off the table)

Bryant's Rhondda on the other hand is a pretty safe seat. However Plaid have said they will contest it anyway. Best case scenario for Conservatives. Chorley is a gain, PC win Rhondda and opportunity to install Government friendly speaker.

Am I overthinking this? Maybe... But you can be damn sure Cummings has overthinked this too.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    ITV have also said they will hold a second multiparty debate as there was in 2015
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,582
    eristdoof said:

Indeed.
    Whatever the metric for a leaders debate, it seems fairly strange that it should be in the gift of ITV to decide whom to include and exclude.
    A pretty arbitrary exercise of power with potentially significant electoral consequences.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ITV have also said they will hold a second multiparty debate as there was in 2015

The LibDems ought to boycott it.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Chris Bryant UGH.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

eristdoof said:

I guess Mike's unstated point is that the Lib Dems will demand that Corbyn goes. They might be able to demand that, but I think it's unrealistic to think that the leader of the Labour Party wouldn't become PM after a GE at which they've ousted the Tories from office.
    They haven't ousted the Tories from office until they've agreed a new PM...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    Good morning everyone. It would, I think, be a pity to have someone else other than Hoyle as Speaker. Seems quietly competent.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The LibDems ought to boycott it.
    Do you think Swinson is stupid enough to do that?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

The debates in some form are inevitable. The fake leadership debates on TV about the Conservative leadership election demonstrate what we already know, they exist only as a vehicle intended to embarass, generally right of centre candidates.

No-one will watch them - that is not their purpose, but no-one can avoid them. Hopefully the needs of the Christmas TV schedules will mean they are broadcast after 11 pm. Perhaps the two genres could be combined in some form of political Crystal Maze or Monkey Tennis. It is unlikely that such a programme would be any less informative than what we have been offered in the past. And how would Jo Swinson cope in any debate - she is so shouty ranty even when she is the only one there ?

There are similar pointless debates within constituencies organised generally by left of centre front organisations. Smile and offer polite answers to the pointless questions posed by your opponents' deliverers.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Christ - As long as noone runs away like May !
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,271
    On what possible basis does Farage get an invite to any debates? He represents a private company, not a party, which has zero MPs, is almost certain to win zero seats, has never even stood for Parliament before and is not a candidate himself.

Mike is understandably disappointed that we are not going to get an "I agree with Jo" moment but the fact is last time out the Lib Dems got 12 seats and 7.4% of the vote. The Lib Dems have to earn back the right to be a major party again. Personally, I think that they will will roughly double the seats they won the last time but Nicola has a much better claim to take part in a debate that is about who the next PM is going to be. She will not be a candidate but she will have a bigger say than the Lib Dems.
  • Options

Good morning everyone. It would, I think, be a pity to have someone else other than Hoyle as Speaker. Seems quietly competent.

I agree. He is the obvious candidate and apprears to be a decent bloke. My only query would be has the back side of the job become so political / debased that a nice person like Lindsey Hoyle would over time become undermined ?

Is he a man would could lay down the law rather than let things ride ?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,204
    In a sane world, this story would be a disaster for both parties:

General Election 2019: Public spending 'to rocket' in next parliament
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50283719

Alas, we no longer live in a sane world.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Labour is doing it out of conviction, the Tories for political expediency. As the party swings ever rightwards, it will quickly change - especially if Johnson is removed after he agrees to extend the transition period. If he doesn’t and we crash out at the end of next year, spending will have to be cut back dramatically anyway.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Christ - As long as noone runs away like May !

Even without the benefit of hindsight that was a truly surreal moment. And the person she sent in her place is, 2 years later, no longer even a member of the party. Worst election campaign ever.
  • Options
    Corbyn’s inability to put a case for Remain in the debate with Johnson is going to be a far better recruiting tool for the LibDems than having Swinson take part.
  • Options

Chris Bryant UGH.
    Could be tactics to split the woke Labour vote going behind Harperson, who would be truly foul speaker
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited November 2019

eristdoof said:

No-one will watch them - that is not their purpose, but no-one can avoid them. Hopefully the needs of the Christmas TV schedules will mean they are broadcast after 11 pm.
    It's rarer than a hind's teeth that I would call out someone for a plainly ridiculous comment but this one I'm afraid needs correcting.

The election tv debates are 'the most influential factor' in voters choosing how to vote https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32673439

7 million people watched the one in 2015 despite the PM Theresa May ducking out

It's on 19th November prime time and it will be widely watched.
  • Options

Corbyn’s inability to put a case for Remain in the debate with Johnson is going to be a far better recruiting tool for the LibDems than having Swinson take part.

I'm not so sure about that.

Labour's policy might have been widely derided but I think his approach may be enough to satisfy his target audience of Labour voters.

Without Swinson's presence you could argue that the inevitability of Brexit in some form or another will be to the fore. Which seems to me to be pretty much the zeitgeist now?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    Thankfully for these two, Bake Off is no longer on the other side.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: entertaining race yesterday, with some slightly strange features.

Will put up the post-race ramble later today.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

One of the frustrating things about this is that in a year or two, once the deficit is soaring up towards £100bn again, and the national debt is expanding as a % of GDP, it will be a much bigger story, but despite our ability to anticipate this we're unable to pay attention to it until it happens.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Labour is doing it out of conviction, the Tories for political expediency. As the party swings ever rightwards, it will quickly change - especially if Johnson is removed after he agrees to extend the transition period. If he doesn’t and we crash out at the end of next year, spending will have to be cut back dramatically anyway.
    I disagree.

Labour are doing it out of expediency too.

One of the more remarkable achievements of Corbyn is that despite a long career of hypocrisy, skulduggery and expediency he has managed to fool people into thinking he has principles.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The weird thing is that the official public spending figures show a declining trend for public spending as a share of GDP , albeit back to that 37% figure. :https://www.statista.com/statistics/375173/government-expenditure-as-share-of-gdp-united-kingdom-forecast/

I think what we will see in practice is a refocusing of public spending onto more consumption driven aspects with some services etc cut deep into the bone. But Tory attacks on Labour's spending will be deeply hypocritical. If Boris gets a majority I hope he thinks hard about who his Chancellor should be. Javid has not impressed.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,415
    Fpt

I take your point. However, burning fossil fuels releases carbon that was captured underground over 300m years ago when C02 levels were at 800ppm (3 x pre-industrial levels). It's releasing that fossil fuel carbon that has driven CO2 levels up from 280ppm to 410ppm, not burning biomass.

When it was stored as carbon is irrelevant. The result is the same. The fact that new biomass crops are grown in its place and draw carbon from the atmosphere once again is more relevant, but it is entirely possible that burning oil and planting a forest would result in less CO2 than burning sugar cane and replanting sugar cane.
    I doubt it.

Growing a field of sugar cane takes X kg of CO2 out of the atmosphere, burning it puts X kg of CO2 back into the atmosphere = net zero.

Burning fossil fuels quickly releases the carbon trapped by forests over potentially millions of years. Planting a new forest is not going to recapture the carbon stored from millions of years of decaying pre-historic forests.
    I don't see the significance of the pedigree of carbon being released. Surely what matters to the greenhouse effect is the quantity being released.

To get the same energy, burning oil and burning biomass release the same carbon (if anything, I'd say fossil fuels tend to be more efficient, so there might be less carbon released for energy gained). Then it is just a matter of which offsetting method draws more carbon out of the atmosphere, a forest, or a new biomass crop.
  • Options

Labour's policy might have been widely derided but I think his approach may be enough to satisfy his target audience of Labour voters.

Without Swinson's presence you could argue that the inevitability of Brexit in some form or another will be to the fore. Which seems to me to be pretty much the zeitgeist now?

The pool of Labour voters is not big enough for Labour to get close to stopping the Tories. Corbyn needs people to switch back from the LibDems. Every time Brexit comes up - as it will, repeatedly, in the debate - and he equivocates on where he stands, he makes Labour’s task harder.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    BJT said:

I hate to imply there's some politicking in the choice for the next speaker but it's posible the numbers provide a clue to the background to this letter.

Hoyle is the natural favourite, well regarded deputy & Labour member. But... He also represents a heavily leave seat that with the current polling might just be in range for Tories to win at GE19. (It's a push by why take the opportunity off the table)

Bryant's Rhondda on the other hand is a pretty safe seat. However Plaid have said they will contest it anyway. Best case scenario for Conservatives. Chorley is a gain, PC win Rhondda and opportunity to install Government friendly speaker.

Am I overthinking this? Maybe... But you can be damn sure Cummings has overthinked this too.
    Chorley is a "heavily Leave" seat, sure (56.8 per cent)

Do you know what they voted in the Rhondda (60.45 per cent) ?

In what world are you living? The thought that the "Remain alliance" parties are going to take the Rhondda is so funny ...

Chorley is an outside Tory gain (they have held in living memory). PC do held the Rhondda in WA elections. But, both these seats are Lab hold in GE 2019, rather easily.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Just had a look at the BBC's newspaper headlines. The 'i' the Mail and the Sun all talk about 'strains' on the NHS. However, the 'I' blames heart faultre cases, the Mail diabetes and the Sun middle-aged cocaine addicts.
    Story on the Times about 'school recruiters' trafficking Asian girls is personally interesting as I know, not well, but I've met, a couple of people who recruit rich Thai and Vietnamese students for top British schools.
    Hm!!!
  • Options

The pool of Labour voters is not big enough for Labour to get close to stopping the Tories.

Manifestly untrue.

2017. Actually, every election for the last 100 years.
  • Options
    Banterman said:

Chris Bryant UGH.
    Could be tactics to split the woke Labour vote going behind Harperson, who would be truly foul speaker
    I think the objective is to get Hoyle knocked out in an early round so that Eleanor Laing can win.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

The pool of Labour voters is not big enough for Labour to get close to stopping the Tories.

Manifestly untrue.

I think the point he is making is that the pool has been drained a bit, so contains less than in previous years.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Banterman said:

Chris Bryant UGH.
    I think the objective is to get Hoyle knocked out in an early round so that Eleanor Laing can win.
    That sounds plausible.
  • Options
    Is the Speaker election today?
  • Options

Banterman said:

Chris Bryant UGH.
    She was spectacularly hopeless during the Early GE Parliamentary bill. I mean, so bad it was embarrassing to watch. I felt pretty sorry for her: she's obviously got a lot of qualities.
  • Options
    TV debates are desired by the LDs to get 20 seconds of anti Boris/Jezza snark to post on twitter.

Absolutely no debating will happen..

Crap formats, presenters and planted party stooges have killed Uk tv debates.
  • Options

Fpt

I take your point. However, burning fossil fuels releases carbon that was captured underground over 300m years ago when C02 levels were at 800ppm (3 x pre-industrial levels). It's releasing that fossil fuel carbon that has driven CO2 levels up from 280ppm to 410ppm, not burning biomass.

When it was stored as carbon is irrelevant. The result is the same. The fact that new biomass crops are grown in its place and draw carbon from the atmosphere once again is more relevant, but it is entirely possible that burning oil and planting a forest would result in less CO2 than burning sugar cane and replanting sugar cane.
    I doubt it.

Growing a field of sugar cane takes X kg of CO2 out of the atmosphere, burning it puts X kg of CO2 back into the atmosphere = net zero.

Burning fossil fuels quickly releases the carbon trapped by forests over potentially millions of years. Planting a new forest is not going to recapture the carbon stored from millions of years of decaying pre-historic forests.
    I don't see the significance of the pedigree of carbon being released. Surely what matters to the greenhouse effect is the quantity being released.

To get the same energy, burning oil and burning biomass release the same carbon (if anything, I'd say fossil fuels tend to be more efficient, so there might be less carbon released for energy gained). Then it is just a matter of which offsetting method draws more carbon out of the atmosphere, a forest, or a new biomass crop.
    Electricity from biomass is no cheaper than renewables, and extremely unlikely to fall in price in the same way that they will over the next decade. It would make considerably more sense to plant more forests and not cut them down.

In the very short term - the next decade - it would make sense to replace coal with natural gas. Virtually no one burns oil for electricity, other than emergency generators.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

The weird thing is that the official public spending figures show a declining trend for public spending as a share of GDP , albeit back to that 37% figure. :https://www.statista.com/statistics/375173/government-expenditure-as-share-of-gdp-united-kingdom-forecast/

I think what we will see in practice is a refocusing of public spending onto more consumption driven aspects with some services etc cut deep into the bone. But Tory attacks on Labour's spending will be deeply hypocritical. If Boris gets a majority I hope he thinks hard about who his Chancellor should be. Javid has not impressed.
    Those figures are from when Hammond was Chancellor. They have no bearing on the new reality.
  • Options

Manifestly untrue.

There is the actual pool of Labour voters and the potential pool. The former is far smaller than the latter, currently. And that’s largely because Corbyn is perceived, correctly, to be a supporter of Brexit.

• Options

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Those figures are from when Hammond was Chancellor. They have no bearing on the new complete lack of reality.
    FTFY.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Manifestly untrue.

I think the point he is making is that the pool has been drained a bit, so contains less than in previous years.
    Yes and it's quite simply untrue. The 'pool' has not been 'drained.' The fact that Labour have lurched hard left and the Conservatives hard right doesn't alter the fact that in any given General Election three-quarters of voters will plump for something reasonable-sounding down the middle. That's Britain.
  • Options

Banterman said:

Chris Bryant UGH.
    She was spectacularly hopeless during the Early GE Parliamentary bill. I mean, so bad it was embarrassing to watch. I felt pretty sorry for her: she's obviously got a lot of qualities.
    The important one is that she's stated Bercow was biased over Brexit. That signals to the people who want a Speaker biased in their favour that she is their woman.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Those figures are from when Hammond was Chancellor. They have no bearing on the new complete lack of reality.
    FTFY.
    Agreed.
    The idea that Hammond was obfuscating a new economic reality perceived by genius of finance Boris Johnson is an odd one.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I disagree.

One of the more remarkable achievements of Corbyn is that despite a long career of hypocrisy, skulduggery and expediency he has managed to fool people into thinking he has principles.

I am far from being a Corbyn fan, but I think it’s tough to argue he only believes in high public spending because it’s expedient to do so!!

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In a suprise move John Lamont commits to a 2020 Scottish Independence Referendum

https://twitter.com/John2Win/status/1190559768215203840?s=19
  • Options

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Those figures are from when Hammond was Chancellor. They have no bearing on the new reality.
    Well we never had that budget so that remains the official figures. How you match that with Javid's promises is, well, you don't, obviously.

What we are going to see is both the main parties supposedly producing "fully funded plans" which don't bear even a cursory examination. Sadly, as @ydoethur points out, people are ok with that.
  • Options

Manifestly untrue.

There is the actual pool of Labour voters and the potential pool. The former is far smaller than the latter, currently. And that’s largely because Corbyn is perceived, correctly, to be a supporter of Brexit.

Right, so just to press your theory that you announced (without any backing argument) you are linking this entirely to Brexit? As has been stated many times on here by Mike, Brexit is not the determining factor that the ERG would like to dream it is for many Labour voters. Other factors will play heavily on Labour voters' minds. The tories never seem to get this point. That's the first thing.

The second is that your point in some ways shows why Labour might be onto something with their voters. If Corbyn is perceived to be pro Brexit then that may be a sufficient sop to Labour Leavers. At the same time, by offering a second referendum he's throwing a considerable bone to Remainers. I've often criticised their befuddled approach but it might just hit the spot.

Corbyn's problem isn't going to be about Brexit ... it's the Marxist policies which I'm mostly cool about but which a lot of the public won't be and the red-top owners certainly aren't.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Nigelb said:

Fpt

I doubt it.

Electricity from biomass is no cheaper than renewables, and extremely unlikely to fall in price in the same way that they will over the next decade. It would make considerably more sense to plant more forests and not cut them down.

In the very short term - the next decade - it would make sense to replace coal with natural gas. Virtually no one burns oil for electricity, other than emergency generators.
    Fun fact, the island of St Lucia gets all its power from burning imported oil.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

FTFY.
    Agreed.
    The idea that Hammond was obfuscating a new economic reality perceived by genius of finance Boris Johnson is an odd one.
    That's not what I meant. The reality I referred to was the increase in public spending that isn't reflected in the figures linked to by DavidL, which are from March.
  • Options

Fpt

I doubt it.

Eh?

If I grow a tree and then burn it, the net carbon released is zero.
    If I did a lump of coal out the ground and burn it, the net carbon released is something.

• Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Johnson will do what’s best for Johnson. Right now a commitment to high public spending is part of the plan because it will help to secure votes from former Labour supporters. The Tory party as a whole will not allow him to keep on spending, though.

• Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    ydoethur said:

You prefer potholes and food banks?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    edited November 2019
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Javid had his budget pulled by Johnson's hijinks, presumably he was in budget purdah before.

Johnson also has that Blairlike delight of announcing changes himself rather than letting his ministers. It is him parading around hospitals and appearing in primary schools, not the ministers of health and education.

Johnson is not a team player, he is an egotist. He dictates policy and changes it on a whim. It is not only the DUP and Mayite Tories that have been shafted by Britain Trump.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I disagree.

I am far from being a Corbyn fan, but I think it’s tough to argue he only believes in high public spending because it’s expedient to do so!
    I’m thinking more about where he spends it. If his current manifesto is anything like 2017 - I haven’t looked at it in detail yet - he will be promising a spending splurge entirely focussed on bungs to the lower middle classes, e.g. free university, free school meals. That was certainly for reasons of political expediency.

If he were genuinely thinking of spending it on the poor I might agree with you, but that’s not been his approach. Indeed, he planned to keep benefit cuts as part of his asinine and unconvincing schtick that his manifesto was costed. That is because he has grasped the poor will probably vote for him anyway and it’s the not very well off he needs to attract.

So I stand by my claim of expediency.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Nigelb said:

Fpt

I doubt it.

Fun fact, the island of St Lucia gets all its power from burning imported oil.
    Global figures:
    https://www.iea.org/geco/electricity/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

If Bozo is still working from that playbook, let’s look forward to his manifesto launch.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Javid had his budget pulled by Johnson's hijinks, presumably he was in budget purdah before.

Johnson also has that Blairlike delight of announcing changes himself rather than letting his ministers. It is him parading around hospitals and appearing in primary schools, not the ministers of health and education.

Johnson is not a team player, he is an egotist. He dictates policy and changes it on a whim. It is not only the DUP and Mayite Tories that have been shafted by Britain Trump.
    I am not the biggest fan of Boris by any means but he will have to go some to match May's efforts in locking her Chancellor in a cupboard for the whole of the campaign despite the Tories having a huge perceived advantage on economic competence at the time. Worst election campaign ever.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Streeter said:

ydoethur said:

Since we had both of those before 2008 when Gordon Brown was splurging money around as if it came from reservoirs, that point won’t stand.

(The real scandal of food banks is not how they’ve grown, it’s how bloody difficult it was to set them up until the crash. The few that were available were grossly overstretched.)
  • Options

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Johnson will do what’s best for Johnson. Right now a commitment to high public spending is part of the plan because it will help to secure votes from former Labour supporters. The Tory party as a whole will not allow him to keep on spending, though.

Who knows? In an era of possibly negative interest rates there is much less incentive to live within our means however much traditionalists like me don't like it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fpt

I doubt it.

Eh?

If I did a lump of coal out the ground and burn it, the net carbon released is something.

Biomass is relatively inefficient and destructive form of energy production. See here:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/31/biomass-burning-misguided-say-climate-experts
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fpt

I doubt it.

Eh?

Oh good, I thought I needed another coffee before facing the traffic because I just wasn't getting that.
  • Options
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

I am not the biggest fan of Boris by any means but he will have to go some to match May's efforts in locking her Chancellor in a cupboard for the whole of the campaign despite the Tories having a huge perceived advantage on economic competence at the time. Worst election campaign ever.
    To be fair to Theresa May (not one of the more common phrases on pb) her Chancellor had just been forced to drop a National Insurance hike because it ran counter to the 2015 manifesto, so Hammond would have been inundated with questions about reintroducing it, and would hardly have been in a position to attack Labour on tax. Not to mention the presidential (strong and stable) campaign was Lynton Crosby's idea. How he managed to blame Nick & Fiona is one of the marvels of the age.
  • Options

#WhoSpeaksforRemainers
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Who knows? In an era of possibly negative interest rates there is much less incentive to live within our means however much traditionalists like me don't like it.

The party of Raab, Patel and Rees-Mogg will not allow high public spending for very long because at some point in the not too distant future it will mean higher taxes.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

The party of Raab, Patel and Rees-Mogg will not allow high public spending for very long because at some point in the not too distant future it will mean higher taxes.

They can just blame the next Labour government for that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Yes. In London he didn’t really care as long as there were big things for him to be photographed opening.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Yes. In London he didn’t really care as long as there were big things for him to be photographed opening.
    Jennifer took photos? :hushed:

Oh - sorry - you said ‘big.’

Have a good morning!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I disagree.

I am far from being a Corbyn fan, but I think it’s tough to argue he only believes in high public spending because it’s expedient to do so!
    I’m thinking more about where he spends it. If his current manifesto is anything like 2017 - I haven’t looked at it in detail yet - he will be promising a spending splurge entirely focussed on bungs to the lower middle classes, e.g. free university, free school meals. That was certainly for reasons of political expediency.

If he were genuinely thinking of spending it on the poor I might agree with you, but that’s not been his approach. Indeed, he planned to keep benefit cuts as part of his asinine and unconvincing schtick that his manifesto was costed. That is because he has grasped the poor will probably vote for him anyway and it’s the not very well off he needs to attract.

So I stand by my claim of expediency.

Got it. Yep, I agree. My guess, though, is that there’ll be a much higher splurge this time because Johnson has set Labour free on spending.

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

We may not see another Labour government. The party is a Long Bailey or Pidcock away from permanent irrelevance.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066
    edited November 2019

And judging by the tweet of him 'watching' the rugby he has eyes on the side of his head, a useful quality in a Speaker I'd have thought.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Well the Saj is definitely in his box, and perceived economic competence will be a bit of a stretch this time round.
    Though admittedly Corbyn is doing his best to maintain the Tory advantage.
  • Options

And judging by the tweet of him 'watching' the rugby he has eyes on the side of his head, a useful quality in a Speaker I'd have thought.
    He has dubious taste in interior decoration, so I would fear for the wallpaper...

Also, the last ‘quiet man’ experiment was not an unqualified success.
  • Options
    F1: Ladbrokes has the 2020 title market up, but nothing each way. So I'm not tempted yet.

The race win for Brazil is up too but it's ridiculously tight (except on Albon) and the each way is only top 2.

Football: backed Norwich and Watford to draw at 3.5. My reasoning is that they're both rubbish this season. [Usual disclaimer: I know nothing about football].
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

With the death of traditional monetary policy now upon us, the conversation is now turning to what sort of fiscal expansionism you wish to pursue.

Lower personal/corporate taxation and increased capital spending is the predictable solution of the political right.

For the left it's increased transfer payments (i.e. current spending) and a bias towards renationalisation, with a scatter gun approach to supply side investment (with some ideological redistributive taxes thrown in for good measure).

Philip Hammond and George Osborne types are going to be as unfashionable as orange-lined nylon bomber jackets. On the assumption that he wins, Boris's pre-feasibility study for "40 hospitals" will appear quite clairvoyant once the next global recession starts to crush. Elements of Jezzanomics would fare quite well too if only he'd drop the spiteful approach to taxation, dogmatic approach to nationalisation and worrying sympathy towards expropriation.

One bet I'll very happily make is that there's going to be a broad political consensus on investment in environmental mitigation measures. For the left it ticks the warm and fuzzy box with a fat green pen (especially the bits that reduce household bills), and for the right it will lead to sustained long term productivity improvements.

And no, neither coal nor biomass deserve long term capital investment formation at this point of the technology curve, even if you sequester the carbon in trees of underground caverns. From here on it it's all about EVs, renewables with battery storage and ultra high voltage transmission networks.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859
    On Topic.

Johnson will pull out

Said that to many a former partner.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I’ve only just noticed...

But isn’t it ironic that the Tory logo looks like Northern Ireland...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    edited November 2019
    rcs1000 said:

l'd argue that the LDs had a case for being top table when they were getting 20+% of the vote, but don't right now. If they get 20% this time around, then next time, they'll deserve their spot. There needs to be some kind of barrier.

But if Ms Swinson has any sense*, she'll use this to her advantage through organising a competing debate. Both her and Farage would be winners if they went head-to-head, because they're not fishing in the same pond.

* She doesn't have any sense

It won't happen, but not becasue she has no sense - but because she does have - a sense of self-preservation at least. The LibDems know not to tangle with Farage, a far superior street fighter to Swinson. She'd get pulled apart on the LibDems historical all-over-the-place positions on the EU and Referendums - and it's down hill all the way from there. Clegg got ripped a new one by Farage in a similar one-on-one debate - and since then Farage has been gifted way more ammunition by the hypocritical LibDems.

Swinson will no doubt fall back on sex, claiming Farage is being beastly because he's a misogynist. Well, if your glossy hagiography tells us you are our next PM (as it does), show us how you are going to mix it with that all-round liberal nice guy, Mr. Putin. Girl.....
  • Options
    A minor carpentry quibble - the top two are now nailed down, not on.

The Hamilton career race wins bet does look on, though.

Sorry to have been travelling this weekend, and missed you Bottas pole spot. 13/1 would have indeed been generous, and I might have had a nibble.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    ydoethur said:

Streeter said:

ydoethur said:

Since we had both of those before 2008 when Gordon Brown was splurging money around as if it came from reservoirs, that point won’t stand.

(The real scandal of food banks is not how they’ve grown, it’s how bloody difficult it was to set them up until the crash. The few that were available were grossly overstretched.)
    The problem was we didn’t have enough food banks and now that problem has been solved? How pleased the poor must be we’ve reached such a sunlit upland.

In the cesspit of PB right wing commentary that turd floats right to the top.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    It's quite natural for non-participants in this one to cry foul. But seriously, it's difficult to map out a route that takes anyone except Johnson or Corbyn to Number 10. I think ITV should have announced the two-stage plan (two leaders in one debate, everyone in the second one) together, and most people would see that as reasonable.

My impression - I can't evidence it scientifically - is that for many voters Brexit is starting to be parked as the dominant issue. There was a poll some weeks back saying IIRC that around half the voters saw it as primary - by polling day, I suspect that'll be down to 25-30%. Leavers feel the job is more or less being done, Remainers feel they've got a shot at stopping it but it's not the only issue. I had nearly 100 replies to my Facebook video endorsing my successor as Labour candidate - some agree, some disagree, but only one mentions Brexit at all.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

We may not see another Labour government. The party is a Long Bailey or Pidcock away from permanent irrelevance.

Lets wait to see if Corbyn can stage a second recovery before writing them off I think.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    This advertisement was bought to you on behalf of the Lib Dems

• Options
    DavidL said:

On what possible basis does Farage get an invite to any debates? He represents a private company, not a party, which has zero MPs, is almost certain to win zero seats, has never even stood for Parliament before and is not a candidate himself.

Mike is understandably disappointed that we are not going to get an "I agree with Jo" moment but the fact is last time out the Lib Dems got 12 seats and 7.4% of the vote. The Lib Dems have to earn back the right to be a major party again. Personally, I think that they will will roughly double the seats they won the last time but Nicola has a much better claim to take part in a debate that is about who the next PM is going to be. She will not be a candidate but she will have a bigger say than the Lib Dems.

Two amazingly incorrect claims in this post.
    Farage has stood for parliament on multiple occasions.
    Nicola Sturgeon could never be PM unless a) she stands for parliament and wins and b) the SNP fight enough seats to at least stand a chance of becoming the government i.e. hundreds more in England and Wales.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

eristdoof said:

The debates in some form are inevitable. The fake leadership debates on TV about the Conservative leadership election demonstrate what we already know, they exist only as a vehicle intended to embarass, generally right of centre candidates.

No-one will watch them - that is not their purpose, but no-one can avoid them. Hopefully the needs of the Christmas TV schedules will mean they are broadcast after 11 pm. Perhaps the two genres could be combined in some form of political Crystal Maze or Monkey Tennis. It is unlikely that such a programme would be any less informative than what we have been offered in the past. And how would Jo Swinson cope in any debate - she is so shouty ranty even when she is the only one there ?

There are similar pointless debates within constituencies organised generally by left of centre front organisations. Smile and offer polite answers to the pointless questions posed by your opponents' deliverers.
    Ooooo... i like the idea of PM debates in the style of the Crystal Maze

Is Richard O’Brien still knocking about?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Lets wait to see if Corbyn can stage a second recovery before writing them off I think.
    My view is that Labour voters are as tribal as hell (even extremely intelligent ones like Jonathan and Southam) and will still vote Labour *despite* Corbyn.

What animates them is a visceral hatred of the Tories and, if it looks like doing so will stop them getting a majority, which it will of course, they will do so with whatever rationalisation suits the moment.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    ydoethur said:

Streeter said:

ydoethur said:

There has always been a massive need for foodbanks. It is to the eternal shame of the last Labour Govt. that they would rather leave people hungry than make an admission that people - for a host of reasons - would let their kids starve in their utopia.

We know that Corbyn hates bankers. That extends to food-bankers too.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Fpt

I doubt it.

Eh?

Strictly speaking, both are zero carbon (in the sense that all carbon on the planet and in the atmosphere is always in balance) it's just the tree does it over a 30-80 year timescale, and the coal over a 10-30 million year one.
This discussion has been closed.