Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ten Lib Dem seats to watch

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ten Lib Dem seats to watch

The Lib Dems do not lack for stated public ambition. Jo Swinson is positioning herself as a potential Prime Minister after the election, which shows some optimism considering that the Lib Dems started the last Parliament with just 12 MPs and ended it with just 20, many of whom look by no means certainties to return to Parliament next time.  

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Who is the libdem candidate in Cheltenham?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    egg said:

Who is the libdem candidate in Cheltenham?

Max Wilkinson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheltenham_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s
  • Options
    Guardian saying
    The announcement of Watson’s departure was carefully choreographed with Corbyn’s office, and there was speculation at Westminster that he could be granted a peerage by the Labour leader after the general election.
    Just to clear that one up, as a few people thought it was sign of Labour war and meltdown when news first hit.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    egg said:

Guardian saying
    The announcement of Watson’s departure was carefully choreographed with Corbyn’s office, and there was speculation at Westminster that he could be granted a peerage by the Labour leader after the general election.
    Just to clear that one up, as a few people thought it was sign of Labour war and meltdown when news first hit.

What's the saying... approbation, elevation, castration?
  • Options
    As a Lib Dem I never bet on them as my emotional attachment can overcome my logical assumptions. However having worked for a previous Lib Dem MP for Cheltenham, I would be surprised and gutted if we don't win this time. I would think the Lib Dems won't do as well as hoped in many leave areas in the South West, but better in remain seats in and around London. I also expect to win Hallam, as O'Mara must surely have tarnished the Labour tag as he was after all originally a Labour MP. I am hoping for forty plus seats, but expecting 30+. Could do with more coverage on tv - the policy of inbvesting in mental health services was hardly mentioned tonight.
  • Options
    Can I say all these headers about seats to watch for, from both betting and political perspective have been an excellent idea and brilliantly put together 🥇

I have gone big on libdems in NE Somerset. If you crack an egg, you need to make the omelette
  • Options
    RobD said:

egg said:

Guardian saying

At least it’s recognition from him of time to move on from banging his head against a wall, leaving on pretty descent terms with Corbyn come the end because didn’t just spring it on him, but allowed leaders office to choose the moment of announcement. Pulls the rug from under some of the more hyperbolic journalism already written in tomorrow’s papers 😆
    And it means normal service of Tory shambles dominating this election narrative will resume again come Friday if not sooner.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    edited November 2019
    I think Rees-Mogg could be prove to be the, "Were you up for Portillo" figure of the 2019 General Election.

He is an easy target for the media and represents a strong Remain seat; so a plausible win for the Lib Dems.

At 6/1, a bet on the Lib Dems to win Somerset North East is my first foray into the GE punting battle.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    madmacs said:

As a Lib Dem I never bet on them as my emotional attachment can overcome my logical assumptions. However having worked for a previous Lib Dem MP for Cheltenham, I would be surprised and gutted if we don't win this time. I would think the Lib Dems won't do as well as hoped in many leave areas in the South West, but better in remain seats in and around London. I also expect to win Hallam, as O'Mara must surely have tarnished the Labour tag as he was after all originally a Labour MP. I am hoping for forty plus seats, but expecting 30+. Could do with more coverage on tv - the policy of inbvesting in mental health services was hardly mentioned tonight.

It seemed odd to me Clegg survived the 15 cull, but succumbed in 17 brexit election to Labour. I feel like Cheltenham has shifted to the Tories and won’t be taken, but there will be unexpected gains. No one is mentioning Wells, but if the labour vote hadn’t been stupidly high last time I think ld would already have it.

That’s how elections work imo. Miliband actually did quite well taking Tory seats, it was Scottish collapse that done for him. In 17 Tory and labour scored off each other in odd places. whose actually got money on Labour gains already? But there will be some even in terrible night of losses.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    egg said:

RobD said:

egg said:

Guardian saying

At least it’s recognition from him of time to move on from banging his head against a wall, leaving on pretty descent terms with Corbyn come the end because didn’t just spring it on him, but allowed leaders office to choose the moment of announcement. Pulls the rug from under some of the more hyperbolic journalism already written in tomorrow’s papers 😆
    And it means normal service of Tory shambles dominating this election narrative will resume again come Friday if not sooner.
    maybe true, but wishful thinking from this poster?
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    stjohn said:

I think Rees-Mogg could be prove to be the, "Were you up for Portillo" figure of the 2019 General Election.

He is an easy target for the media and represents a strong Remain seat; so a plausible win for the Lib Dems.

At 6/1, a bet on the Lib Dems to win Somerset North East is my first foray into the GE punting battle.

No, North East Somerset was estimated to be a leave seat (51.6%) The council area (Bath and North East Somerset) was remain (57.9%), driven by Bath which was overwhelmingly remain (68%).
  • Options
    egg said:

That’s how elections work imo. Miliband actually did quite well taking Tory seats, it was Scottish collapse that done for him. In 17 Tory and labour scored off each other in odd places. whose actually got money on Labour gains already? But there will be some even in terrible night of losses.

If I had to make predictions for seats that could change hands unexpectedly or against the tide...

- LDs to lose Norfolk North, and I'd expect this to be their only loss (excluding defector seats).

- Lab gain Putney with a very low share in a tight three-way contest.

- Surprise LD gain in Hampstead & Kilburn from third place.

- Con gain Runrig Pete's seat, probably their only gain in Scotland.

- Shock Con gain in Warley on a big swing.

And a few surprise retentions...

- Lab to narrowly hold Warwick & Leamington

- Southport stays blue

- Lab retain Gower

- Con hold Winchester. Ideally by 2 votes.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,663
    egg said:

Guardian saying

Could be putting a positive spin on it, but frankly given Watson does not look to be intentionally causing any more trouble I'm inclined to believe it.
  • Options
    egg said:

madmacs said:

It seemed odd to me Clegg survived the 15 cull, but succumbed in 17 brexit election to Labour. I feel like Cheltenham has shifted to the Tories and won’t be taken, but there will be unexpected gains. No one is mentioning Wells, but if the labour vote hadn’t been stupidly high last time I think ld would already have it.

It was something of a surprise that any survivors if the great 2015 cull would then fail to hold on on in 2017, yet in the end I think only 4-5 survived both.

Unexpected gains seems, counter intuitively, expected, but the swings need to be so high it's not hard to see the limits of it unless the tories are in freefall.

Vauxhall is an interesting one as even with a super leavey labour mp the LDs did not get close and yet now might. They really were not being rewarded for their pro remain stance until very recently- as critical as we might be of them theres a reason the change uk lot were not confident of the LDs at first.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    egg said:

Can I say all these headers about seats to watch for, from both betting and political perspective have been an excellent idea and brilliantly put together 🥇

I have gone big on libdems in NE Somerset. If you crack an egg, you need to make the omelette

Agreed. Alastair has spoiled us again.

NE Somerset looks a very long shot indeed, but there is surely some value in giving Rees Mogg a few sleepless nights.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

egg said:

NE Somerset looks a very long shot indeed, but there is surely some value in giving Rees Mogg a few sleepless nights.
    Agree - another excellent thread - better quality analysis than you'll read in any of the broadsheets.

JRM deserves sleepless nights - I can't imagine why anyone in CCHQ thinks he's good for the Conservative's image - unless "out of touch condescending toff" is the look they are going for.....
  • Options

egg said:

"- Lab gain Putney with a very low share in a tight three-way contest."

If you really, really believe that, then rush along to Wm. Hill and lay your money down. They have Labour priced to finish in a lowly third place, priced at 9/2, compared with the Tories as the 4/5 odds-on favourite, with the Lib Dems as runners-up on 13/8.

• Options

Nigelb said:

egg said:

Agree - another excellent thread - better quality analysis than you'll read in any of the broadsheets.

JRM deserves sleepless nights - I can't imagine why anyone in CCHQ thinks he's good for the Conservative's image - unless "out of touch condescending toff" is the look they are going for.....
    As a backbench curiosity it was fine, his brand is being unapologetically posh, but why he is used as a frontman now he's in cabinet I do not know, as that same brand with the authority of cabinet can come across very poorly. Particularly as it turns out he is not as smart as he thinks he is.
  • Options
    Is that OGH's garden fence featured in the header photo? Speaking of which, I wonder whether the purple painted nails will feature again this time, posting off the Smithson household's votes?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

egg said:

As a backbench curiosity it was fine, his brand is being unapologetically posh, but why he is used as a frontman now he's in cabinet I do not know, as that same brand with the authority of cabinet can come across very poorly. Particularly as it turns out he is not as smart as he thinks he is.
    Boris needed the cohesive effect of including Rees Mogg in his first cabinet. I very much doubt he will continue to feature if the Tories gain an overall majority, or for that matter, whether JRM is greatly bothered.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

egg said:

JRM is the reason why a lot of rhe "Workington man" demographic may prove elusive for the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    In the category of you’d struggle to make this stuff up...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/07/ukraine-crisis-put-on-ice-by-trump-staff-busy-working-out-how-to-buy-greenland
    After the White House cut off military aid to Ukraine, Donald Trump’s top officials scrambled to get it restored but were unable to organise a meeting with the president, in part because his staff were too busy pursuing his interest in buying Greenland, according to newly released congressional testimony....
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited November 2019
    Regarding Ross Skye & Lochaber, which I know well, there are a few factors to consider:

Firstly, and most importantly, there is no love lost between the 3 Unionist parties in this seat. They gain their core support from very different groups of people:

The SCon core vote in this seat is probably the largest (perhaps 20%) and most solid of the Better Together parties, comprised almost exclusively of incomers to the area. They are adamant, vocal, determined and vociferously anti-SNP, frequently tipping over to blatant anti-Scottishness.

The SLab core vote (perhaps 10%) is comprised of primarily local people, who vote Labour for largely the same reasons as SLab voters in the Central Belt: social justice, desire for infrastructure investment (especially housing, transport and IT), international solidarity. They are solidly pro-Highland and pro-Scottish, and they look upon Tories with quiet contempt. Although on a good day they might back a pleasant, local Lib Dem, eg Kennedy. Their former MP David Stewart was a kind, well-liked sort, a typical representative of this group. Corbynism is not their thing. They loved Donald Dewar, John Smith and that type of social democrat. They are not particularly anti-SNP, but consider nationalism to be antediluvian. Younger members of these households don’t understand why mum and dad still vote Labour.

The SLD core vote is absolutely minuscule (below 10%), and it it a miracle that Russell Johnston and Charlie Kennedy ever got elected here, let alone held the area for decades. In years of knocking doors when they were the MP I almost never met a Lib/Lib Dem supporter, but have met thousands of SNP/Lab/Con supporters who voted LD tactically to keep some worse party out of power. Their famous Highland support is as tenuous as snow on a dyke in May. The local SLDs are notably left-wing, to an extent that would shock many English Lib Dems.

Anyone with half decent arithmetic can see that the 3 Better Together parties cannot win with Core Vote alone, even if they swung solidly behind just one Unionist candidate (realistically, only the Lib Dem could be that unifying candidate). So they must reach out to the vast number of local people who are largely disinterested in politics, and who are largely agnostic on the great constitutional debate of self-governance versus London-rule.

I have seen zero evidence that any of the 3 Unionist parties are attempting to talk to the huge number of locals in this centre-ground. They are all obsessed with preaching to the converted and motivating their core voters. Which just isn’t enough. Not by a long way.

Blackford, who is respected rather than admired, will hold this seat. For the simple reason that thousands of locals who hate politics, politicians, Brexit and independence-scuffles will be persuaded by the large number of SNP activists in this area that his party is on their side. Which it is.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    stjohn said:

NE Somerset voted marginally Leave in 2016. Rees-Mogg is in little danger.
  • Options

Is that OGH's garden fence featured in the header photo? Speaking of which, I wonder whether the purple painted nails will feature again this time, posting off the Smithson household's votes?

Certainly we do have some generic pictures in our collections and use them at regular intervals where relevant. The postal voting picture features the hands of my younger daughter not me. I have never painted my fingernails.
  • Options
    A good list from Alastair representing an interesting mix. I am only going to comment on the Fat Laird's seat, arguably the most scenic in the UK, taking in as it does much of the rugged West coast of Ross-shire and Skye.

Locals were disgusted at the antics of the SNP in 2015 and many of us who knew Charles well still blame them in large part for his untimely death. For the record I had known Charles since starting university in 1978, the year after him.

Anecdotal comment, just before the 2017 election, a very old friend who happened to be President of the LibDem association said to me it would be sad if the Tory vote prevented "them" (i.e. the Liberals) retaking the seat. After the result was announced I turned his comment around and pointed out that it was disappointing votes for the LibDems prevented it from being another Tory gain!

Personally I expect that the anti-SNP vote is so heavily split between the Tories and Liberals who traditionally swapped Ross and Cromarty (a very different seat) every decade or so. I would be incredibly surprised if the Fat Laird loses, much as though I would love to see either Tory or Liberal unseat him.

Incidentally a tip for you all, I would be astounded if cousin Jamie doesn't vastly increase his majority here in Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross. He is a wonderful chap (well I would say that since my grandmother and his mother were great chums and distant cousins) and HUGELY popular. I cannot envisage any Tory to SNP movers and Labour has almost disappeared.

In Scotland, other than NE Fife and possibly Argyll, I am not expecting the Liberals to win any seats but they may pile up votes helping we Tories to hold on against the SNP in some of the Grampian seats and slightly dent our majorities in others. I expect Jackson Carlaw to fight the campaign almost totally on the Union v IndyRef2 which is even more polarising across Scotland than Brexit.
  • Options
    The analysis by Stuart Dickson relates more to the part of the Fat Laird's seat which was formerly part of Inverness, Nairn and Lochaber. I can assure you that in Ross-shire the Fat Laird is despised and most especially by locals who adored Charles Kennedy. However the younger generation are big Nat voters so as I said the Fat Laird will hold on. For the record, a large part of the Tory vote is not incomer, it is proudly native and unionist but that doesnt fit within the SNP mantra which is very much anti-English and hearing some of the anti-English remarks from SNP supporters is blood curdling. A popular one is "when we get independence, people like you will be sent back south of the border"! Not quite burning English holiday homes as happened in Wales in the 1970s but sometimes not far from it. Even I got accused of being an Englishman a few weeks ago on Facebook by a fanatical SNP supporter and I am a 22x great grandson of Robert the Bruce! (and a descendant of Edward I of England as are all descendants of the Mackenzie of Kintail family)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Interesting that Corbyn goes into this election fully in charge, free of the right, and entirely responsible for the performance of the party.

Success will be owned by him and the left. As will defeat.
  • Options
    Put simply, while Brexiteers believe the threat of “no deal” increases British leverage, the EU calculates the threat increases its leverage, and is therefore happy to play along. The result: an inevitable crisis. If history repeats itself first as tragedy and then as farce, the tragedy of the past three years of protracted and bitter negotiations is that it was all so predictable. The farce is that it might be about to happen all over again.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/11/coming-brexit-farce/601558/
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,969
    Jonathan said:

Interesting that Corbyn goes into this election fully in charge, free of the right, and entirely responsible for the performance of the party.

Success will be owned by him and the left. As will defeat.

Not at all. Defeat will be the fault of the media and ‘Tory Swinson’ for having the temerity to run candidates against Labour.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/07/ukraine-crisis-put-on-ice-by-trump-staff-busy-working-out-how-to-buy-greenland
    After the White House cut off military aid to Ukraine, Donald Trump’s top officials scrambled to get it restored but were unable to organise a meeting with the president, in part because his staff were too busy pursuing his interest in buying Greenland, according to newly released congressional testimony....

The movie of the Trump-era White House is going to be a hoot.

I imagine it must be like a different Marx Brother turning up to work there each day.

"There ain't no sanity clause...."
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

A good list from Alastair representing an interesting mix. I am only going to comment on the Fat Laird's seat, arguably the most scenic in the UK, taking in as it does much of the rugged West coast of Ross-shire and Skye.

Locals were disgusted at the antics of the SNP in 2015 and many of us who knew Charles well still blame them in large part for his untimely death. For the record I had known Charles since starting university in 1978, the year after him.

Anecdotal comment, just before the 2017 election, a very old friend who happened to be President of the LibDem association said to me it would be sad if the Tory vote prevented "them" (i.e. the Liberals) retaking the seat. After the result was announced I turned his comment around and pointed out that it was disappointing votes for the LibDems prevented it from being another Tory gain!

Personally I expect that the anti-SNP vote is so heavily split between the Tories and Liberals who traditionally swapped Ross and Cromarty (a very different seat) every decade or so. I would be incredibly surprised if the Fat Laird loses, much as though I would love to see either Tory or Liberal unseat him.

Incidentally a tip for you all, I would be astounded if cousin Jamie doesn't vastly increase his majority here in Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross. He is a wonderful chap (well I would say that since my grandmother and his mother were great chums and distant cousins) and HUGELY popular. I cannot envisage any Tory to SNP movers and Labour has almost disappeared.

In Scotland, other than NE Fife and possibly Argyll, I am not expecting the Liberals to win any seats but they may pile up votes helping we Tories to hold on against the SNP in some of the Grampian seats and slightly dent our majorities in others. I expect Jackson Carlaw to fight the campaign almost totally on the Union v IndyRef2 which is even more polarising across Scotland than Brexit.

So you predict Swinson will lose her seat and the Lib Dem’s will lose O&S?
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684

Certainly we do have some generic pictures in our collections and use them at regular intervals where relevant. The postal voting picture features the hands of my younger daughter not me. I have never painted my fingernails.
    You’re missing a treat.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited November 2019
    After last night's Survation poll in Wokingham I've a feeling we may be in for some BIG surprises

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1192187159324844032?s=20

p.s. Shouldn't a LibDem have written this thread rather a Labour supporter?
  • Options
    “the SNP are outpolling their 2017 scores…”

I’ve seen this repeated here a few times now. I really think there has to be more polling to substantiate it. Scottish only polling has been few and far between. Though, most of the polling has the SNP either down from, or equal to, what they were polling at in the run up to the last General Election. The SNP seem to be making a bit of a habit, as of late, in underperforming polling figures.

The Nat vote share has been trending down since their peak in 2015. It’ll be interesting to see if that is the case again, given that they have 22 seats with majorities under 3,000 votes!
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Ian Austin standing down.

Backs Boris in GE.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,928

Nigelb said:

The movie of the Trump-era White House is going to be a hoot.

I imagine it must be like a different Marx Brother turning up to work there each day.

"There ain't no sanity clause...."
    O/T I suppose but I like the idea of something being put on ice while a Greenland issue is dealt with!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I’ve seen this repeated here a few times now. I really think there has to be more polling to substantiate it. Scottish only polling has been few and far between. Though, most of the polling has the SNP either down from, or equal to, what they were polling at in the run up to the last General Election. The SNP seem to be making a bit of a habit, as of late, in underperforming polling figures.

The Nat vote share has been trending down since their peak in 2015. It’ll be interesting to see if that is the case again, given that they have 22 seats with majorities under 3,000 votes!

Citation needed. In 2019 there have been 9 Scotland only polls, they have not polled below their 2017 GE number in a single one of them.

Now as it happens I do think the will get below their current polling at the GE but their current polling is not "down or equal to" their GE score.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Miss Vance, bit odd for a Corbyn supporter to castigate others for supporting repressive regimes...
  • Options
    R4 Remain Alliance giving uncontested run to the Lib Dems in Richmond Park or Cheltenham Greens in Isle of Wight & Brighton Pavilion. More to follow.....
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Miss Vance, bit odd for a Corbyn supporter to castigate others for supporting repressive regimes...

Yes, I did wonder when Austen had supported Chavez' Venezuela or Putin's Russia....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Citation needed. In 2019 there have been 9 Scotland only polls, they have not polled below their 2017 GE number in a single one of them.

Now as it happens I do think the will get below their current polling at the GE but their current polling is not "down or equal to" their GE score.
    The point being made, and it’s a fair one, is that the SNP’s polling is below what it was in the run-up to the last election. That’s a fair comparison, though we don’t know how effective pollsters’ corrective actions have been.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    deleted - old news!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    I think that the overwhelming message from Alastair's excellent piece is that between 2015 and 2017 the Lib Dems collapsed as a major electoral force and in many areas of previous strength it is a very long way back with truly massive swings required, often from 3rd. They might be better placed the next time if they double their vote this time but they look certain to disappoint on election night. My guess would be 20-30 seats, very probably at the low end of that.

In my area all their efforts will be going into Fife NE and I do think that they have a good chance there. My guess is that this will be their only Scottish gain although they may fancy a comeback in the borders against the Tories.

In Edinburgh their efforts will be focused on trying to keep Edinburgh West which they largely won on the back of the embarrassment caused by Michelle Thomson for the SNP. That is going to be very difficult unless Swinson can give the Lib Dems a Scottish lift. She herself can take little for granted. She won the seat with tactical unionist support but a chunk of that will have been Tories who were probably leavers. The Union or Brexit, which is more important, will be a real issue in Scotland. I think given her much higher profile now she should be ok but she will be spending more time in her constituency than she would ideally want to.

In Argyll & Bute it seems to me that the Tory is in pole position as the Unionist candidate having received twice the Lib Dem vote the last time but the same fracture, will Lib Dems really back a party committed to Brexit, may undermine further progress.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Be careful of thinking the libdems can win a bunch of inner London seats by coming from third place.

In order to that the Labour vote has to collapse behind the Libdems, and although at the moment that is what the YouGov poll is showing that is unlikely to be the case on election day. Why?
    Because Labour's vote in inner London is majority from the large ethnic minority population and especially large Muslim electorate. These are some of the most loyal voters, prehaps only scouseres are more loyal. Unless the Labour party are planning on invading Iraq again the libdem will not get enough of them to vote tactically for them.

Libdems could see white liberal REMAIN voters back them in these seats but that means a split REMAIN vote.

Libdems will not GAIN Vaxhall(high black population also very loyal to Labour), Westminster ,Kensington, Chealsea and Fulham(Fulham still has a lot of poor people), Hampstead and Kilburn is a bit different, and could be a Libdem GAIN The Labour vote is more sticky in inner London than elsewhere in Britain.

(This does mean however the libdem vote could rise even further in outer London.)
  • Options
  • Options
    Miss Vance, ironically, I was thinking of Iran, but you're right about Venezuela and Russia too, of course.
  • Options
    "Why don't you just f""k off and join the Tories"
    "Ok maybe we need to vote Tory"
    ^Outrage*
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Be careful of thinking the libdems can win a bunch of inner London seats by coming from third place.

In order to that the Labour vote has to collapse behind the Libdems, and although at the moment that is what the YouGov poll is showing that is unlikely to be the case on election day. Why?
    Because Labour's vote in inner London is majority from the large ethnic minority population and especially large Muslim electorate. These are some of the most loyal voters, prehaps only scouseres are more loyal. Unless the Labour party are planning on invading Iraq again the libdem will not get enough of them to vote tactically for them.

Libdems could see white liberal REMAIN voters back them in these seats but that means a split REMAIN vote.

Libdems will not GAIN Vaxhall(high black population also very loyal to Labour), Westminster ,Kensington, Chealsea and Fulham(Fulham still has a lot of poor people), Hampstead and Kilburn is a bit different, and could be a Libdem GAIN The Labour vote is more sticky in inner London than elsewhere in Britain.

(This does mean however the libdem vote could rise even further in outer London.)

https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/1191707948994551808?s=21
  • Options
    Also, it happened too late for me to comment yesterday but I was very surprised by Watson standing down.

If his replacement is a far left fool it'll be something else for Labour moderate MPs to complain about before quietly doing nothing.
  • Options

Yes we really need some Scottish only polls. And even then we should take away a few % from the SNP as they underperform their shares quite a bit recently.

Welcome!
  • Options
    AdrianFrancisAdrianFrancis Posts: 13
    edited November 2019

Alistair said:

The point being made, and it’s a fair one, is that the SNP’s polling is below what it was in the run-up to the last election. That’s a fair comparison, though we don’t know how effective pollsters’ corrective actions have been.
    Exactly my point - perhaps I could have worded it better!

I do hope my post didn’t come across as a criticism. Enjoy the commentary on here and have lurked for years. So I thought I’d - finally - chime in for the run up to this election.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Heidi Allen is a big loss to the Lib Dems . I’m pretty sure she’d have held her seat , not just that she has both charisma , speaks well and is very pretty which helps !

Just seeing here in the Unite to Remain video , that has a great ring to it . With no Labour involvement it does make the impact much less but it all helps .

I think it could have an additional impact though on Labour Remainers in that seat , if the literature is going to households with Unite to Remain one could see a bigger tactical vote by those Labour voters .
  • Options

Miss Vance, ironically, I was thinking of Iran, but you're right about Venezuela and Russia too, of course.

So many to choose from.....
  • Options

nunu2 said:

https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/1191707948994551808?s=21
    As I said I think the labour vote will firm back up on election day itself
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322

Interesting piece, as is Stuart's, but could posters refrain from using colloquial descriptions of candidates that most of us won't recognise? I've no idea who "the fat Laird" and "Charles" and "cousin Jamie" are, making this post difficult to follow. I'd include in-jokes too like OGH and Mike's supposed painted nails.
  • Options

^Outrage*
    The History of the Tiggers - 2019 to 2019 - will be a remarkable WTF??? footnote to the politics of, er, 2019.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2019
    If millionaires were banned from Parliament, would there be anyone left besides the bar staff? Not that the bar staff couldn't make a better stab at running the country, mind.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1192248258430676992?s=19

When Barr is not willing to lie for you then you are fucked.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Heidi Allen is a big loss to the Lib Dems . I’m pretty sure she’d have held her seat , not just that she has both charisma , speaks well and is very pretty which helps !

Just seeing here in the Unite to Remain video , that has a great ring to it . With no Labour involvement it does make the impact much less but it all helps .

I think it could have an additional impact though on Labour Remainers in that seat , if the literature is going to households with Unite to Remain one could see a bigger tactical vote by those Labour voters .

Allen was far too normal for politics in 2019, when to succeed you have to be freakishly tribal and an ideological zealot.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited November 2019
    nico67 said:

One good thing about the Green/Lib Dem alliance is that it will help detoxify the Lib Dems in the eyes of centre-left voters who opposed the coalition. This could boost the LD vote even in seats where the pact isn’t operating.

Also:

http://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1192229185172967426
  • Options

Alistair said:

Ah, I misread. Apologies to @AdrianFrancis
  • Options
    The SNP got squeezed horribly by labour in 2017. I do not see that history repeating itself.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116

^Outrage*
    The History of the Tiggers - 2019 to 2019 - will be a remarkable WTF??? footnote to the politics of, er, 2019.
    They were the Unionist Free Trade league of 2019.

Who were the Unionist Free Trade League, I hear you cry?

To which my reply is, ‘Exactly!’
  • Options

nico67 said:

One good thing about the Green/Lib Dem alliance is that it will help detoxify the Lib Dems in the eyes of centre-left voters who opposed the coalition. This could boost the LD vote even in seats where the pact isn’t operating
    I think that’s true.
  • Options

^Outrage*
    He wasn’t in that group . But overall the Tiggers never stood a chance , especially once the Lib Dems stole a march in the council elections , and then it all went downhill in the Euros where Tig was obliterated.
  • Options

If millionaires were banned from Parliament, would there be anyone left besides the bar staff? Not that the bar staff couldn't make a better stab at running the country, mind.
    They’d be less drunk, for a start.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Has any prominent Brexiteers been asked the question of what happens if (ignoring the obvious flaws in this base assumption) the U.K. utilises it’s tremendous ‘leverage’ from no deal to secure a great EU trade agreement and it’s rejected by a provincial parliament in Wallonia (or even somewhere bigger)?

Because even if the EU leaders will act to protect Ireland, or other majorly affected countries, ultimately passing trade treaties is not in their gift, but requires unanimous agreement from every EU country. And not unanimity among leaders but in accordance with each country’s internal treaty approval processes.

Which idiot says this can happen in 6 months?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Alistair said:

The SNP got squeezed horribly by labour in 2017. I do not see that history repeating itself.

Really don't see that. The Scottish Labour vote was up from 24.3 to 27.1% in 2017. Labour won its seats because the SNP vote fell sharply, not because they were really going anywhere themselves. I do agree that Labour's vote in Scotland is likely to fall this time and most of these gains are extremely marginal and vulnerable.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    egg said:

Guardian saying

I think it’s an issue for the moderates next time.

Obviously the media talks about the known players but they seem to continually recycle Watson, Cooper, Benn etc as the standard bearers. Watson was someone who the moderates could have coalesced around. I don’t see the hunger in Cooper, and suspect (IANAE) that Benn doesn’t have the power base.

Who is going to lead the moderates to regain control of Labour?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    madmacs said:

Re mental health - poor tactics to announce policy on day of another party launch. Labour played it well by contrast
  • Options

nico67 said:

One good thing about the Green/Lib Dem alliance is that it will help detoxify the Lib Dems in the eyes of centre-left voters who opposed the coalition. This could boost the LD vote even in seats where the pact isn’t operating.

Also:

http://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1192229185172967426
    That’s an excellent point re detoxify the Lib Dems in terms of centre left voters . I’ll be really interested in what sort of literature goes out . It will be great to hear from members in here who live in those seats when that starts coming through .
  • Options
    As we all love a bit of BBC bias banter.... their description of Ian Austin's comments are headed:

"Labour MP defends party after Ian Austin jibe"

Jibe - ??
  • Options
    Charles said:

egg said:

Guardian saying

Obviously the media talks about the known players but they seem to continually recycle Watson, Cooper, Benn etc as the standard bearers. Watson was someone who the moderates could have coalesced around. I don’t see the hunger in Cooper, and suspect (IANAE) that Benn doesn’t have the power base.

Do we definitely know if Cooper is standing again?
  • Options
    Laura K: "You have to wonder. On Day One of the campaign the Labour deputy leader quits"

Labour have had a good few days. Not today.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Interesting piece, as is Stuart's, but could posters refrain from using colloquial descriptions of candidates that most of us won't recognise? I've no idea who "the fat Laird" and "Charles" and "cousin Jamie" are, making this post difficult to follow. I'd include in-jokes too like OGH and Mike's supposed painted nails.
    Blackford, Kennedy, Stone. Clear from the context, and working it out will keep the Alzheimers away.

What matters is, not misleading the site on betting sensitive matters, like you did for weeks in 2015.
  • Options
    Charles said:

madmacs said:

Re mental health - poor tactics to announce policy on day of another party launch. Labour played it well by contrast
    The mental health policy is great. Really impressed. They need to repeat it again when there is more air space.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Three totemic moments against Corbyn that I’ve seen and heard in the last 24 hours. I was just listening to r4 today and Ian Austin told listeners to vote for Boris - in his own words he was not abdicating a choice to voters. When he says Corbyn is unfit to be PM he means Boris is.
    Tom Watson resigning will leave moderates without a prominent voice in Parliament.
    And the Bugle podcast has Mark Steel on where he described his nightmare situation of momentum activists going down a street canvassing and converting the street to vote Tory.

These are not right wing voices and all this is entirely predictable. Last night I looked at the MPs who aligned to Owen Smith - lots of well known respected centre left types who I could vote for if they still had influence.
  • Options

Laura K: "You have to wonder. On Day One of the campaign the Labour deputy leader quits"

But we were told it wasn’t important by Mysticros...ah.

Have a good morning.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

The bar staff are millionaires, if they own their homes. The word needs rebasing.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

^Outrage*
    He wasn’t in that group . But overall the Tiggers never stood a chance , especially once the Lib Dems stole a march in the council elections , and then it all went downhill in the Euros where Tig was obliterated.
    That the Tiggers didn't capture him was partly the point. Lots of disgruntled MPs going around and around in Brownian motion, without any purpose, only to - disappear in smoke come the election. Bizarre.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I'm sorry but if you don't know who Porcupine Larry and Old Mother Forest are then you've clearly lost touch with modern politics
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1192354304587452416

Pidcock next leader is still 10 on BF
  • Options
    Charles said:

egg said:

Guardian saying

They need to look beyond the Cooper/Miliband generation. There are two broad options.

1. A moderate such as perhaps Jess Phillips or Caroline Flint.

2. A sane radical, such as perhaps Clive Lewis, who might have a bit more rigour when it comes to policy, and a determination to embody the rhetoric by actually defending Jews from antisemitism.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

The bar staff are millionaires, if they own their homes. The word needs rebasing.
    The Indian term crore - meaning 10,000,000 - needs to be adopted.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    On the Wokingham poll. I was born and brought up there and my parents still live there on a rather leafy cul-de-sac. My father voted Leave and my mother Remain. Despite being almost lifelong Tory voters they both voted LibDem in the last locals. John Redwood is not popular even putting his views on Brexit to one side.

Wokingham has had a massive influx of new residents with vast swathes of fields being obliterated by new builds (one of the reasons I moved out of the area 7 years ago). My mother tell me that these people are likely to be more LibDem leaning.

I am not surprised by the poll and I think at least my Mother is tempted to vote LD. If she and others like her do then Redwood could well lose. I'm not a Redwood fan despite being a Leaver but I pointed out the dangers of voting LD and letting Corbyn in through the back door. Both my parents believe Corbyn would be an absolute disaster for the country.

Bottom line is that I would not be surprised if the LDs win in Wokingham but will people like my Mother at the last minute think the risk of voting LD is worth it in the privacy of the polling booth?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Really don't see that. The Scottish Labour vote was up from 24.3 to 27.1% in 2017. Labour won its seats because the SNP vote fell sharply, not because they were really going anywhere themselves. I do agree that Labour's vote in Scotland is likely to fall this time and most of these gains are extremely marginal and vulnerable.
    Look at the polling average chart from the 2017 polling wiki page.

Labour rose exactly in step with the SNP fall.

Assume the SNP vote formed the largest component of the lost turnout from 2015 plus drift of its left wing to Corbyn Labour and you explain the drop.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

OK at the price I think, StJ, but if you want an intriguing LD longshot try The Cotswolds. It hasn't been priced up yet but my guess is that as target 69 it will be double figures. Why would it succumb to the Peril?

It was one of the few non-metropolitan constituencies to vote Remain and the sitting MP is a jerk.
  • Options

They must have felt the Tory "shit storm starter" was an angle they hadn't wargamed, so had better implement it in case it worked....
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

Three totemic moments against Corbyn that I’ve seen and heard in the last 24 hours. I was just listening to r4 today and Ian Austin told listeners to vote for Boris - in his own words he was not abdicating a choice to voters. When he says Corbyn is unfit to be PM he means Boris is.
    Tom Watson resigning will leave moderates without a prominent voice in Parliament.
    And the Bugle podcast has Mark Steel on where he described his nightmare situation of momentum activists going down a street canvassing and converting the street to vote Tory.

These are not right wing voices and all this is entirely predictable. Last night I looked at the MPs who aligned to Owen Smith - lots of well known respected centre left types who I could vote for if they still had influence.

I understand that many people vilify momentum as hard core lefties, but all the ones I've ever met just seem like any other party activists I've come across; they believe in the party, and can turn on a tiny amount of charm on the door step, whilst not engaging in people who obviously hate them in a way that causes controversy.

It was also the general feeling in the 2017 election that momentum would be a turn off, and yet after the fact it seems many seats were won where they campaigned without official party support. So I don't see momentum as this terrible force on the door step for Labour...
  • Options
    nico67 said:

^Outrage*
    The Lib Dems rose in the council elections precisely because The Independent Group had made such a horlicks of launching a new political party. The voters who at first expressed a willingness to support a new centrist party were forced to forgive them for the Coalition because TIG had proved that a new centrist party wasn't going to be wished out of thin air with a bit of handwaving and cringe-inducing motivational catchphrases.
  • Options

They must have felt the Tory "shit storm starter" was an angle they hadn't wargamed, so had better implement it in case it worked....
    :lol:

And now Ian Austin adds some petrol. And who can blame him.
This discussion has been closed.