Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Seduced and abandoned. The DUP’s chances in the general electi

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Seduced and abandoned. The DUP’s chances in the general election

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2019
    1st
  • Options
    2nd
  • Options
    and a full podium :D:D
  • Options
    It looks like I get 4th place too....
  • Options
    Alistair posted a thread, but nobody came.....
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2019
    6th?

Serious wooden spoon territory.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Ease up, Bev! :o
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Just seen on twitter yougov has some polling on the British Indian vote.

Quite interesting.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

6th?

Serious wooden spoon territory.

Absolutely!!!
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Vote early, vote often.....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ease up, Bev! :o

Well I had to do something. I was beginning to worry that this thread was going to be as empty as a politician's promises
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

CCHQ levels of ballot box stuffing!
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Works for me.

Remain: 302% of the electorate :D:D
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,094
    Absolute scandal. Everything.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TudorRose said:

They are amateurs compared to me ;)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Absolute scandal. Everything.

Who? Me?
  • Options
    Just noticed that #CurseDominicRaab is trending on Twitter. Nice folks these FBPE and JC4PM lot.
  • Options
    Well, although I am in Northern Ireland at the moment, I cannot give any local feedback on politics. Old habits die hard, and around here talking openly about politics was a way to die early. Nobody is talking politics.

OTOH my mother, a DUP voter will probably vote DUP again but she would rather not. According to her, the Alliance Party are traitors who should know better and SF should be locked up or deported.

Tribalism is alive and well in the 80+ voting demographic
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217
    RobD said:

TudorRose said:

If only we could remember who it was that started such dodgy goings on.
  • Options

Quite interesting.

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/1197174180678115329?s=20

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/1197173781451726848?s=20
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Well, although I am in Northern Ireland at the moment, I cannot give any local feedback on politics. Old habits die hard, and around here talking openly about politics was a way to die early. Nobody is talking politics.

OTOH my mother, a DUP voter will probably vote DUP again but she would rather not. According to her, the Alliance Party are traitors who should know better and SF should be locked up or deported.

I wouldn't worry re; your first paragraph, as far as I can tell no-one on this side of the Irish Sea is talking about politics either. Except for on here of course.....
  • Options
    Just seen from the Beeb's live election coverage feed that in Labour's 2017 manifesto they said “A Labour government will guarantee no rises in income tax for those earning below £80,000 a year, and no increases in personal National Insurance contributions or the rate of VAT.”

They're not going to say the same again and try to raise the bulk of the half a trillion spending they've promised by adding loads of it to employers' NICs, are they?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited November 2019
    I'm visiting South Antrim at the moment and yes it's not clear who is the main challenger to the DUP, Alliance or UUP. So they should hold comfortably.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

Just seen from the Beeb's live election coverage feed that in Labour's 2017 manifesto they said “A Labour government will guarantee no rises in income tax for those earning below £80,000 a year, and no increases in personal National Insurance contributions or the rate of VAT.”

They're not going to say the same again and try to raise the bulk of the half a trillion spending they've promised by adding loads of it to employers' NICs, are they?

On the other hand (and given they are most likely to form the government) it will be interesting to see how the Tories' tax cuts + higher spending stacks up once their costed manifesto is published (assuming they bother to cost it this time).
  • Options

On the other hand (and given they are most likely to form the government) it will be interesting to see how the Tories' tax cuts + higher spending stacks up once their costed manifesto is published (assuming they bother to cost it this time).
    I assume they’ll cost it. Whether anyone believes it is another matter. Same for Labour’s.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2019
    Artist said:

I'm visiting South Antrim at the moment and yes it's not clear who is the main challenger to the DUP, Alliance or UUP. So they should hold comfortably.

The UUP is the current challenger. The Alliance are so far behind that SF beat them last time.

[Edit: From a personal perspective, when I was growing up here, South Antrim was a perpetual UUP seat. After I moved to England, it changed hands a few times between DUP and UUP. The Alliance have never even been a footnote in this place]
  • Options

They'll be lots of tricks in regards to nationalising everything that moves, ie, you are purchasing an asset that has a value.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

I assume they’ll cost it. Whether anyone believes it is another matter. Same for Labour’s.
    We will get the IFS costings of course. Speaking of which:

Chart from IFS on proposed Tory tax cuts

https://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/BN251_Boris_Johnson's_tax_policies.pdf
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

I wouldn't worry re; your first paragraph, as far as I can tell no-one on this side of the Irish Sea is talking about politics either. Except for on here of course.....
    I know. We are all so sad....
  • Options

RobD said:

Somewhat unsurprising as the lowest deciles pay so little tax in the first place thanks to various allowances.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905

RobD said:

The landing zone for tax cuts predominantly for the rich, increased public spending and providing a full costing must be pretty narrow.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Somewhat unsurprising as the lowest deciles pay so little tax in the first place thanks to various allowances.
    Hurrah for George Osborne and David Cameron, the champions of lower earners.
  • Options
    Sky and BBC are obsessed with Trump

And they wonder why ordinary folk look on them as an out of touch London media circus
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

What a pair of guys!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

It's rather like that 10 drinkers of different means pooling their resources then getting a refund analogy..
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    edited November 2019

The figures look plausible but not especially British Indian-related - LibDems up 10, Tories down 4, Labour down 12 - all very similar to national shifts when the poll was taken (Nov 13-18). A subsequent LD-Lab shift has probably happened here too.

By the way, does anyone have any idea what is happening in Aberdeen North, an SNP seat with Lab second since the Tory was suspended by the party? Do we expect Labour, LibDems or BXP to benefit?

One could ask the same about Hodge Hill, but as the sensible voters there vote Labour in nearly North Korean proportions (81% last time), the misfortunes of the LibDem candidate aren't too interesting.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    RobD said:

RobD said:

None of the figures in that chart depends on how much tax is paid currently!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,446

And they wonder why ordinary folk look on them as an out of touch London media circus

I'm sick of hearing about Trump as well. Holding an impeachment less than 12 months before the election is a bit silly IMO.
  • Options

But back on the original hand.. It does rather look from the wording that they do plan to increase employers' NICs - otherwise why is it excluded from the wording? And wouldn't that be really stupid? They might be able to call it a tax on corporations, as it's the employers paying the increased tax, but it would just be an incredibly idiotic tax on jobs.
  • Options
    FPT:

Benpointer — if you type the phone number into a search engine it'll probably come up with information about scam calls that other people have been discussing. That's what I do when they happen.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Britain Elects 33,000 votes
    Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Paul Brand ITV 30,000 votes
    Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Martin Lewis 23,000 votes
    Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%
  • Options
    Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

If you don't pay any tax, how can a tax cut net you any more money (both absolute and as a fraction)?
  • Options
    Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The horizontal axis is "income decile". Those with the lowest incomes, surprise surprise, already pay the lowest taxes.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm sick of hearing about Trump as well. Holding an impeachment less than 12 months before the election is a bit silly IMO.
    Surely not? I suspect that what they want is for the Republicans to be tarnished so that their vote share declines.

Guilt by association.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

You like voodoo polls ???
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

Voodoo poll alert. Come on BJO, you know better than this.
  • Options

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

Which polling companies were doing the other polls (apart from the YouGov one)?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

Twitter polls, I assume.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

The YouGov one wasn't conducted on Twitter.

Twitter is far more lefty than real life.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Andy_JS said:

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

Are they as accurate as the Daily Mail up/down arrows?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

If you don't pay any tax, how can a tax cut net you any more money (both absolute and as a fraction)?
    Well, of course if you don't pay the tax that is being cut you won't benefit!

But if you don't think the poor pay indirect taxes, you must be a bit crazy.
  • Options
    Just read to the end of the article linked to on the last thread about the illiterate, racist Lib Dem candidate who's been suspended. He stood for UKIP in the 2010 election. How on earth did he get selected by the Lib Dems in the first place?!
  • Options
    Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

But this isn't looking at indirect taxes, it's the change in income due to the two proposed changes. If you aren't already paying those taxes, you won't benefit from them.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1197187467235020801 LD remove candidate in Birmingham Hodge Hill.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,679

You mean the Lib Dems, of course. The Tory leaders said it was impossible, and opposed it every step of the way. Until the Lib Dems insisted that it was make or break for the Coalition. The the Tories fell into line. And afterwards claimed all the credit.

That`s what Conservatives are like.
  • Options

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The horizontal axis is "income decile". Those with the lowest incomes, surprise surprise, already pay the lowest taxes.
    The chart doesn't tell you anything whatsoever about how much tax is "already paid." It tells you how much the change would be in tax paid - absolutely and as a proportion of income.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1197187467235020801 LD remove candidate in Birmingham Hodge Hill.

How can you oust a candidate after the nomination papers have been filed?
  • Options
    Oh for god's sake. If they had done that, don't you think we'd have noticed on here?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

Must be the old stop canvassing to elect him or her routine.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902

Andy_JS said:

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

Are they as accurate as the Daily Mail up/down arrows?
    The Mail up/down arrows are a good place to work out whereabouts the centre of gravity for Tory/Brexit party votes currently is at.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

Oh for god's sake. If they had done that, don't you think we'd have noticed on here?
    False rumours circulating about YouGov poll on debate

BBC Trending

We’ve seen false rumours floating around about YouGov's snap poll after last night's leaders debate on ITV.

Some people spotted that its web page was created at 6:50pm – before the debate started.

But that was a holding page, allowing the pollsters to get the results online quickly.

All data was actually collected after the debate.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

But this isn't looking at indirect taxes, it's the change in income due to the two proposed changes. If you aren't already paying those taxes, you won't benefit from them.
    My point exactly. The Tories are proposing to reduce the kind of taxes the poor pay less of. Not exactly a surprise.

Perhaps what you meant to say earlier was "If you don't pay the kind of tax that only richer people pay, how can a Tory tax cut net you any more money?"
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Andy_JS said:

Not really. Trump is a crook, and it is the duty of Congress to hold him to account.
  • Options
    Anthony Wells has explained to the ignorant Labour folk that the time stamp relates to the publishing of the holding page, not the time of putting out the poll.

Labour protests too much. Must be very worried.
  • Options
    Idiotic - was it the big bad 'dark powers' behind this too?
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

That said we should do all we can to encourage Labour supporters to take such voodoo polls seriously.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    dr_spyn said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

Must be the old stop canvassing to elect him or her routine.
    Doubt anyone will be bothering in Hodge Hill, probably in the top 10 of Labour safe seats for the next 50 years at least.
  • Options
    RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

Does it matter? It is Liam Byrne's seat and it is one of the safest Labour seats in the country. The LD candidate never had a chance in hell....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Is it not just an article that was updated after publishing?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Tonight's Democratic debate is going to be fascinating. Buttigieg is going to be getting attacked for the first time, and it will be interesting to see if he can handle it.
  • Options

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

'votes'?

You're not quoting voodoo polls are you?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

That means Labour will probably get 80% in the constituency.
  • Options

RobD said:

BBC Trending

We’ve seen false rumours floating around about YouGov's snap poll after last night's leaders debate on ITV.

Some people spotted that its web page was created at 6:50pm – before the debate started.

But that was a holding page, allowing the pollsters to get the results online quickly.

Ah, so my hunch was correct.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    glw said:

RobD said:

BBC Trending

Twitter should just be switched off during elections. It brings no good to anyone.

Or just switched off.
  • Options
    glw said:

Andy_JS said:

Not really. Trump is a crook, and it is the duty of Congress to hold him to account.
    Absolutely. But Sky and BBC are obsessed with constant live coverage
  • Options

glw said:

RobD said:

BBC Trending

Twitter should just be switched off during elections. It brings no good to anyone.
    Wouldn't it be a shame if it was never turned on again?
  • Options

Big red alarm bells ringing when the "sleuth" in this case was called Emz4Corbyn.

I mean, what sort of half-witted, credulous moron falls for this, outside of a Twitter echo chamber.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883
    Fenster said:

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

Twitter is far more lefty than your real life.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited November 2019
    Chris said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

The chart doesn't tell you anything whatsoever about how much tax is "already paid." It tells you how much the change would be in tax paid - absolutely and as a proportion of income.
    Do you want the lowest paid to get NI credits before they hit the current £8.5k threshold?!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2019
    eristdoof said:

Fenster said:

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

Twitter is far more lefty than your real life.
    Twitter is far more lefty than everyone's real life.

If Twitter was representative EICIPM would have been real.
  • Options

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

Does it matter? It is Liam Byrne's seat and it is one of the safest Labour seats in the country. The LD candidate never had a chance in hell....
    No, and perhaps I was being too pedantic. The candidate hasn't been withdrawn, they will just no longer campaign (or be supported).
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Big red alarm bells ringing when the "sleuth" in this case was called Emz4Corbyn.

I mean, what sort of half-witted, credulous moron falls for this, outside of a Twitter echo chamber.
    https://twitter.com/Emz4Corbyn/status/1144698963867688960
  • Options
    Anorak said:

That's no way to talk about BJO. ;)
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

https://twitter.com/Emz4Corbyn/status/1144698963867688960
    After slumber. In unvanquishable number. Oh yeah.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

They should probably run their tweets by FactCheckUK before embarrassing themselves!
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Do you want the lowest paid to get NI credits before they hit the current £8.5k threshold?!
    Please see my replies to the other guy.
  • Options
    I'll let you in to a little secret, I'm editing PB on election night for the third general election in a row.

I do placeholder threads a few hours beforehand.

If I accidentally publish one of them I've not stuffed the ballot boxes beforehand.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited November 2019
  • Options

I'll let you in to a little secret, I'm editing PB on election night for the third general election in a row.

If I accidentally publish one of them I've not stuffed the ballot boxes beforehand.

It would be more fun to pretend you had.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

Which were controlled vs voodoo pills?
  • Options

I'm guessing this is a euphemism that I'm currently not aware of.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

I wouldn't even joke, Momentum are likely already putting you on a list.
  • Options

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

It doesn't matter how many people vote on Twitter, it's worthless in terms of polling accuracy.

From UKPR:

"In the 1930s in the USA the Literary Digest used to do mail-in polls that really did survey millions of people, literally millions. In 1936 they sent surveys to a quarter of the entire electorate and received 2 million replies. They confidently predicted that Alf Landon would win the imminent US Presidential election with 57% of the popular vote and 370 electoral votes. George Gallup meanwhile used quota sampling to interview just a few thousand people and predicted that Landon would lose miserably to Roosevelt. In reality, Roosevelt beat Landon in a landslide, winning 61% of the vote and 523 electoral votes. Gallup was right, the Digest was wrong."

https://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/4874
  • Options
    glw said:

It would be more fun to pretend you had.
    So at 7pm on election night I'll 'accidentally' publish a thread entitled

'Exclusive: SNP set to gain Uxbridge and South Ruislip'
  • Options
    Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

My point exactly. The Tories are proposing to reduce the kind of taxes the poor pay less of. Not exactly a surprise.

Perhaps what you meant to say earlier was "If you don't pay the kind of tax that only richer people pay, how can a Tory tax cut net you any more money?"
    I fear we are on the same side of the argument. My original point was that it wasn't a surprised the lowest decile had no gain because they didn't pay these taxes. Why are we arguing again?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

The Times 8,000 votes
    Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

It doesn't matter how many people vote on Twitter, it's worthless in terms of polling accuracy.

From UKPR:

"In the 1930s in the USA the Literary Digest used to do mail-in polls that really did survey millions of people, literally millions. In 1936 they sent surveys to a quarter of the entire electorate and received 2 million replies. They confidently predicted that Alf Landon would win the imminent US Presidential election with 57% of the popular vote and 370 electoral votes. George Gallup meanwhile used quota sampling to interview just a few thousand people and predicted that Landon would lose miserably to Roosevelt. In reality, Roosevelt beat Landon in a landslide, winning 61% of the vote and 523 electoral votes. Gallup was right, the Digest was wrong."

https://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/4874
    But the unweighted figures show Corbyn doing much better!!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited November 2019
    Andrew said:

I wouldn't even joke, Momentum are likely already putting you on a list.
    I'm already on Momentum's list.

On Twitter a Momentum supporter added me to the list called 'Tory Pollsters'
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Please see my replies to the other guy.
    I wrote that post after seeing your reply. Giving National Insurance credits is the only way to change NI that will benefit people that people that don't pay it. The vast majority of people will benefit from the proposed NI changes, and lower and middle income earners to a bigger percentage degree than higher earners. Obviously the higher rate threshold change will only affect those currently paying the current higher rate, so not me. But I don't begrudge those who will benefit from it, because I don't support politics of envy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I fear we are on the same side of the argument. My original point was that it wasn't a surprised the lowest decile had no gain because they didn't pay these taxes. Why are we arguing again?
    Because you said "If you don't pay any tax." Of course, if you'd said "If you don't pay the tax that's being cut," there would have been no argument.

The poor pay a lot of tax, particularly as a percentage of income.
This discussion has been closed.