Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Majority opinion. Looking at the Conservatives’ chances from a

Comments

• I think we’ve all got so used to Corbyn that we’ve forgotten how unusual it is for a senior religious figure to wade in to an election. It embarrassing for the country that a faith group should feel like this.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

nunu2 said:

It's the Chief Rabbi having a go at Corbyn and Labour for anti-Semitism

That's already (sadly) baked in.
    Agreed. Almost nobody cares about this except Jews, and there aren't enough of them to matter.
    Sean_F said:

I don't know why some people think Labour have an unassailable lead, when in fact they are 7-19% behind.

The gap is going to close, and keep closing. There's a fortnight to go, it's more than enough time.
    I think the gap closes this week and widens next week. By 12/12/19 we'll back where we started with Con getting a 30 seat majority.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010

nunu2 said:

Agreed. Almost nobody cares about this except Jews, and there aren't enough of them to matter.
    Sean_F said:

I don't know why some people think Labour have an unassailable lead, when in fact they are 7-19% behind.

The gap is going to close, and keep closing. There's a fortnight to go, it's more than enough time.
    You don't know that from movement in one poll. You need to watch them all for signs of movement.

At this stage everyone needs to calm down.
    What when the whole thing is just about to crash down about our ears?
  • ydoethur said:

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/jewish-leaders-looking-forward-to-working-with-next-pm-boris-johnson/

He seems to think Boris Johnson is okay - so he's happy to talk up a man who has said some awful and racist things too?

Fucking hell

Has Boris Johnson hung out with Holocaust Deniers, called them his friends or endorsed their political platforms?
    If not, that might be why he’s seen as a bit different.
    Incidentally, it’s interesting that your post implicitly accepts Corbyn is a racist - ‘ so he's happy to talk up a man who has said some awful and racist things too?’
    Boris Johnson literally said he was scared of black people, refused to do an investigation into Islamophobia in his own party, said Muslim women looked like bank robbers, said on live radio money was being "spaffed up the wall" on abuse.

Don't come on here and tell me Boris Johnson is somehow this idea of moral virtue, please.
    Except that Corbyn and Labour _do_ tell us that they are paragons of moral virtue. While simultaneously being stuffed to the gills with racists...
  • Gabs3 said:

https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/jewish-leaders-looking-forward-to-working-with-next-pm-boris-johnson/

He seems to think Boris Johnson is okay - so he's happy to talk up a man who has said some awful and racist things too?

Fucking hell

Oh please fuck off with your whataboutery. You Corbynistas always try to divert attention elsewhere rather than confront your own guilt. It is despicable. This is exactly why Jewish leaders are speaking out. And in return you attack them.
    Corbyn has done more to resolve anti-Semitism in his own party than Boris Johnson has ever done with Islamophobia in his. Yet one gets covered and the other ignored, why?

I despise anti-Semitism and it's true to say Labour has done a poor job of dealing with it. But you cannot sit here with a straight face and say Boris Johnson is doing anything.
  • Gabs3 said:

humbugger said:

ydoethur said:

humbugger said:

IanB2 said:

My bet is a leading Labour figure/candidate disowning Corby.
    I'm amazed that's not happened already. I can't see how Labour moderates can in all conscience support Labour's manifesto.
    Labour moderates have consciences?
    One lives in hope.
    The point Luciana Berger was chased out the party was the point when Labour moderates should have taken a stand. Instead they put their careers first rather than having any solidarity with British Jews. Many used Tom Watson's plea to stay as cover for taking action. Now even he has thrown in the towel while they continue to hide from view.
    Voters in Finchley and Golders Green will have the opportunity to express their solidarity with Luciana Berger shortly by electing her as their MP.

I hope they take it.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769

ydoethur said:

Fucking hell

Has Boris Johnson hung out with Holocaust Deniers, called them his friends or endorsed their political platforms?
    Incidentally, it’s interesting that your post implicitly accepts Corbyn is a racist - ‘ so he's happy to talk up a man who has said some awful and racist things too?’
    Boris Johnson literally said he was scared of black people, refused to do an investigation into Islamophobia in his own party, said Muslim women looked like bank robbers, said on live radio money was being "spaffed up the wall" on abuse.

Don't come on here and tell me Boris Johnson is somehow this idea of moral virtue, please.
    I don’t, and I never have. Anyone who disbelieves me is welcome to check my posting hsitory.
    I just find the idea of Corbyn being held up as moral or virtuous given his frankly appalling record on violence and race relations even more ludicrous.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    If the Tories can’t win an election with most of the press onside and the BBC continually trying to help them by editing items to make Bozo look good then really they are useless !
  • ydoethur said:

Labour canvasser assaulted.
    A 72-year-old party election campaigner has been attacked and injured while going house-to-house.

The man, who uses a walking stick, was initially taken to hospital with a suspected broken jaw, South Yorkshire Police said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50552115

Two in one day? That’s a bit strange. Presumably just coincidence given they are in different parts of the country, but not a pleasant one.
    The woman who was attacked was called a Marxist. Perhaps people shouldn't be throwing these kind of terms around and constantly raising the temperature.
    JohnO said:

I was there and almost every answer was preceded by “as an accountant and economist”. Never mind. The LibDems were there in force and typically loathsome, constantly barracking Raab and at one point almost drowning out his remarks. Of course, not a vote changed one way or the other.
    How have you found things on the doorstep JohnO?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Gabs3 said:

Fucking hell

Oh please fuck off with your whataboutery. You Corbynistas always try to divert attention elsewhere rather than confront your own guilt. It is despicable. This is exactly why Jewish leaders are speaking out. And in return you attack them.
    Why should Corbyn take responsibility for the behaviour of the very small number in the Labour Party who might on a very wide interpretation be described as anti semitic any more than the Chief Rabbi should take responsibility for the two most prominent sex pests Epstein and Weinstein being Jewish?
  • nico67 said:

If the Tories can’t win an election with most of the press onside and the BBC continually trying to help them by editing items to make Bozo look good then really they are useless !

Whats that worth compared to the power to scatter 58 billion around as if it were confetti?
  • Gabs3 said:

Fucking hell

Corbyn has done more to resolve anti-Semitism in his own party than Boris Johnson has ever done with Islamophobia in his. Yet one gets covered and the other ignored, why?

I despise anti-Semitism and it's true to say Labour has done a poor job of dealing with it. But you cannot sit here with a straight face and say Boris Johnson is doing anything.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fucking hell

I don’t, and I never have. Anyone who disbelieves me is welcome to check my posting hsitory.
    I just find the idea of Corbyn being held up as moral or virtuous given his frankly appalling record on violence and race relations even more ludicrous.
    Fine - and I am sorry I snapped at you.
    edited November 2019

ydoethur said:

A 72-year-old party election campaigner has been attacked and injured while going house-to-house.

The man, who uses a walking stick, was initially taken to hospital with a suspected broken jaw, South Yorkshire Police said.

Two in one day? That’s a bit strange. Presumably just coincidence given they are in different parts of the country, but not a pleasant one.
    The woman who was attacked was called a Marxist. Perhaps people shouldn't be throwing these kind of terms around and constantly raising the temperature.
    Indeed. John McDonnell needs to rebadge himself as a Blairite, then we’ll all be happy.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    nunu2 said:

Byronic said:

Is that it? A rabbi goes postal. Great.

Yep.

The country is fucked, because enough people believe you can spend money you don't have and let someone pay it back.

Why work? Why not just claim benefits. You"ll be better of under a Labour government not working.
    An awful lot of us will be discovering the joys of life on Jobseekers' Allowance under a Labour Government, I'm afraid.

The first task if they get in will be to work out how best to hide your savings, so that the Government can't make you live off them until you're penniless once you become long-term unemployed, or steal them straight out of your account once it all goes to pot and they're scrambling around for funds to keep the police and the army on side.
  • Roger said:

Gabs3 said:

Fucking hell

Why should Corbyn take responsibility for the behaviour of the very small number in the Labour Party who might on a very wide interpretation be described as anti semitic any more than the Chief Rabbi should take responsibility for the two most prominent sex pests Epstein and Weinstein being Jewish?
    Absurd post.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094

Btw, there's an official in the Palace of Westminster I know (ish) who is widely respected who thinks we'll be having general elections like this every 18-24 months for the next decade.

Which I thought sounded like fun.

Anyway, that's enough bedwetting for one evening. Supper beckons.

Italy beckons. Il sorpasso.
    l'essere sorpassavo
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Gabs3 said:

Fucking hell

Seriously stop. Labour is a racist cess pit precisely because of Corbyn. These are his people, his causes, his views. It was not like this under Ed M.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776

nunu2 said:

Byronic said:

Yep.

The country is fucked, because enough people believe you can spend money you don't have and let someone pay it back.

Why work? Why not just claim benefits. You"ll be better of under a Labour government not working.
    An awful lot of us will be discovering the joys of life on Jobseekers' Allowance under a Labour Government, I'm afraid.

The first task if they get in will be to work out how best to hide your savings, so that the Government can't make you live off them until you're penniless once you become long-term unemployed, or steal them straight out of your account once it all goes to pot and they're scrambling around for funds to keep the police and the army on side.
    There will not be a Labour government, so the point is moot.
  • maaarsh said:

Gabs3 said:

Fucking hell

Seriously stop. Labour is a racist cess pit precisely because of Corbyn. These are his people, his causes, his views. It was not like this under Ed M.
    The backlog of cases literally built up under Ed M.
  • I think we’ve all got so used to Corbyn that we’ve forgotten how unusual it is for a senior religious figure to wade in to an election. It embarrassing for the country that a faith group should feel like this.

Religion and politics shouldn't mix. I don't think religious leaders should be telling people who to vote for, whatever the reason.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,289
    edited November 2019

nunu2 said:

Byronic said:

Yep.

Thanks to the Tories you can't claim Jobseekers' Allowance any more - it's Universal Credit. And you won't get that if you have more than £16,000 in savings.

Oh, and hiding your savings to claim UC would amount to fraud, so that's a bad idea.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Indeed. John McDonnell needs to rebadge himself as a Blairite, then we’ll all be happy.
    Wasn't it McDonnell who described a student thug who tried to kill a policeman by throwing a fire extinguisher at him as "the best of our movement?" As well as offering paeans of praise to the Provisional IRA, of course.

Not that anybody cares about any of this stuff anymore.

There's a very real risk that politically-motivated violence will become a lot more commonplace and a lot more extreme in the coming years.
  • I have that gut feeling again, the momentum is with Labour

EICIPM 😂
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited November 2019
    Laura Kunnesberg

Labour's handling of anti-Semitism crisis comes blasting back into the campaign - chief Rabbi demands 'every person vote with their conscience' and suggests Corbyn not fit for office

Unprecedented for the leader of a major religious group in UK to make this kind of statement in a General Election campaign - and to feel the need to do so - Labour says they have worked extremely hard to combat the problem and Corbyn has fought racism all his life

If the media pick up this story and run with it tomorrow it could have some legs
  • Sean_F said:

nunu2 said:

Byronic said:

Yep.

I admire your confidence Sean. What makes you so sure?
  • Sean_F said:

nunu2 said:

Sean_F said:

It is baked in. That's why Labour are 10% down on last time. There are non_Jews who detest them.

The gap will close a bit, as Labour waverers come home, but it won't close that much.
    I pray (yes, I'm religious now) that you're right.

Religion and politics shouldn't mix. I don't think religious leaders should be telling people who to vote for, whatever the reason.
    I think there is a difference. We have all, collectively, as a nation allowed a situation in which the ruling clique of a major political party actually scares people. Yuck.
    edited November 2019
    Well, one thing this does seem to have done is driven the manifestoes off the threads. I wonder if it will do that for the wider election campaign.
    Anyway, I am falling asleep, so o will wish the company buenos noches. Have fun.
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    GIN1138 said:

JohnO said:

I was there and almost every answer was preceded by “as an accountant and economist”. Never mind. The LibDems were there in force and typically loathsome, constantly barracking Raab and at one point almost drowning out his remarks. Of course, not a vote changed one way or the other.
    Fine last week. Another Hersham canvass on Friday. Raab’s majority will undoubtedly be sharply reduced, but I still think it will be in five figures in the 12-15,000 range. LibDems making the most of Ian Taylor’s (Tory MP here until 2010) statement today endorsing their candidate. But that’s no surprise and I doubt will have any appreciable impact.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    JohnO said:

Sound pretty well motivated. This is the angry election.

But what if it is Remainers angry at Brexit, and Leavers angry at austerity that turn out?
  • Labour canvasser assaulted.

I notice these brave scum are picking their targets carefully and only attacking those who they think can't fight back. I am not a Momentum fan but it would be rather nice to see one of these thugs suddenly find themselves facing a crowd of angry young labour activists. They might not be so handy with their fists in that case.
  • peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2019
    maaarsh said:

spudgfsh said:

ydoethur said:

Interesting. What scandal have they got hold of?
    Is it the one @Charles knows about Keir Starmer?
    Or are they going to name the senior Labour politician interviewed by Yewtree? (For the avoidance of ambiguity although he wasn’t named in the few reports on the subject I’m 99% sure it wasn’t Corbyn.)
    Or is it something else entirely?
    Could it be the YouGov MRP ?
    Wednesday night
    It had better be a VERY big story ... I mean how much is an annual subscription to The Times ... approx £400 p.a.? Probably needs to be a major scandal or a fraud of some kind. A wanton sex romp, say, by two Labourites in a haystack just doesn't cut it.

Laura Kunnesberg

Labour's handling of anti-Semitism crisis comes blasting back into the campaign - chief Rabbi demands 'every person vote with their conscience' and suggests Corbyn not fit for office

If the media pick up this story and run with it tomorrow it could have some legs

No, I don't think so... As others have said it's already priced in by the electorate, as is Boris's serial lying and non-PC historical comments.
    edited November 2019
    humbugger said:

Roger said:

Gabs3 said:

Fucking hell

Absurd post.
    Reducto ad absurdum,. Correct. As was the one written by the obsessive Gabs.
    edited November 2019
    Users online at the voter registration site jumped from 10,000 in the space of 10 minutes this evening to over 40,000.

This seems to have been in relation to the Grime4Corbyn renewing their support . Still at close to 20,000 now almost 3 hours later.

More good news for Labour .
    Sean_F said:

nunu2 said:

Byronic said:

Yep.

How do you know this?
  • Foxy said:

JohnO said:

But what if it is Remainers angry at Brexit, and Leavers angry at austerity that turn out?
    Then Corbyn is crowned President for Life and the Tories are rounded up and sent to the Scottish Re-education camps in the Outer Isles....
  • First story on Sky news tonight
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

ydoethur said:

Thank goodness nobody on this website is responsible for contributing to the kind of hysterical demonisation of the Labour party that would lead to this kind of violence.

Foxy said:

JohnO said:

Then Corbyn is crowned President for Life and the Tories are rounded up and sent to the Scottish Re-education camps in the Outer Isles....
    What have the Hebrides done to deserve that?!
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

First story on Sky news tonight

What is?
  • It gets to the point though where we know full well what people actually want to happen - and that's Corbyn standing down.

Nothing he does will ever be good enough, the media have spent the last three years using racism as a means to score cheap political points and we know this because every time an Islamophobia issue appears it gets ignored. Boris Johnson is allowed to ignore the issue and put off an investigation and lie about it - yet Corbyn takes action and apologises and is villified.

We get some random Twitter user claiming there are "130" cases outstanding, despite not being on the NEC and not having the ability to get what is confidential information that he wouldn't have.

And yet Boris Johnson says he's afraid of a group of black people and gets away with it, again.

If you hate racism like I do, you'll know full well something stinks here.

What is?
    The chief rabbi condemning Corbyn
  • https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1199086377390034944

The Tories are clearly terrified it is going wrong
  • https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1199086377390034944

The Tories are clearly terrified it is going wrong

There are no tanks in Baghdad !
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

It gets to the point though where we know full well what people actually want to happen - and that's Corbyn standing down.

Nothing he does will ever be good enough, the media have spent the last three years using racism as a means to score cheap political points and we know this because every time an Islamophobia issue appears it gets ignored. Boris Johnson is allowed to ignore the issue and put off an investigation and lie about it - yet Corbyn takes action and apologises and is villified.

We get some random Twitter user claiming there are "130" cases outstanding, despite not being on the NEC and not having the ability to get what is confidential information that he wouldn't have.

And yet Boris Johnson says he's afraid of a group of black people and gets away with it, again.

Yes, something does stink here.

What is?
    First story on the BBC is the climate crisis, and accelerating CO2 emissions. Scary stuff.
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,410

IMO 98% of PB'ers and conservative activists do not give a shit about actual anti semitism just as long as the medias total internal reflection of every story distracts from Boris latest witticisms.
    edited November 2019

What is?
    So far nothing on the BBC . Edit they’re now onto it.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

So bloody proud of this, Lady Hale is going to stand up to the Chinese Government like she did with ours. Hurrah for our brilliant judiciary.
    Baroness Hale of Richmond, the president of the Supreme Court, will sit for a month in Hong Kong’s highest court as the former colony’s judiciary attempts to demonstrate its independence from Beijing.

Lady Hale, who declared Boris Johnson’s prorogation of parliament illegal in September, will take a temporary seat on the bench of Hong Kong’s court of final appeal in the new year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/baroness-hale-will-sit-as-judge-at-hong-kong-court-6kjkdch5r

You know how the Chinese government is going to use that, right?
    edited November 2019
    JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

JohnO said:

Fine last week. Another Hersham canvass on Friday. Raab’s majority will undoubtedly be sharply reduced, but I still think it will be in five figures in the 12-15,000 range. LibDems making the most of Ian Taylor’s (Tory MP here until 2010) statement today endorsing their candidate. But that’s no surprise and I doubt will have any appreciable impact.
    Thank you JohnO. Sound encouraging.

Now that The Herdson has left us all in the lurch and quit Con you are our eyes and ears on the ground! :D
  • John Bercow, a Jewish man, doesn't think Corbyn is Jewish. Ignored.

People in the Islamic community say Boris Johnson has an Islamophobia problem. Ignored.

Noam Chomsky, Jewish, doesn't think Corbyn is anti-Semitic. Ignored.
  • Btw, there's an official in the Palace of Westminster I know (ish) who is widely respected who thinks we'll be having general elections like this every 18-24 months for the next decade.

That sounds a bit like the sort of assumed knowledge that is just begging to be overturned by events.

I still think Johnson will win a big majority, perhaps even a landslide, and it will be all the more shocking because everyone has come to assume that a Hung Parliament, or at most a small majority, is the most that can be achieved.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    My mother in law is coming up for 84. She joined the Labour party in 1963. Her late husband was a Labour Councillor for many years. She has voted Labour all her adult life without hesitation.

Until now. She cannot bring herself to vote for Corbyn. She's really distressed about it but the anti-Semitism is a very big part of it. If Labour are losing people like my mother in law they are in serious trouble.

What is?
    The vast bulk of the population doesn't care about the rights of minorities (and the anti-Semitism thing has been going on for so long that anybody who's concerned about it and convinced by the reports will already be steering well clear of Labour.)

This will make no difference at all.
  • Foxy said:

What is?
    First story on the BBC is the climate crisis, and accelerating CO2 emissions. Scary stuff.
    So can we expect Greta and the XRs to be protesting at Chinese embassies ?
  • ydoethur said:

Thank goodness nobody on this website is responsible for contributing to the kind of hysterical demonisation of the Labour party that would lead to this kind of violence.
    Yes but it's ok because Labour actually is evil, it's on the front pages of all the newspapers so it must be true. I have heard that they have diabolical plans to ask some people who can afford it to pay a bit more in tax so that we don't have kids asking santa for enough food to eat for Christmas. The Marxist bastards. And they hate Britain, whereas I love Britain so much that I will immediately move to Dubai if they put my taxes up marginally. And they're total racists. And PC killjoys who object to a bit of bantz about pillar boxes.
  • Foxy said:

JohnO said:

What have the Hebrides done to deserve that?!
    Hebrides? No cushy numbers please. St Kilda!
  • dr_spyn said:
    Surely it should be "first born" not "Corbyn"?
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    GIN1138 said:

JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

JohnO said:

Thank you JohnO. Sound encouraging.

Now that The Herdson has left us all in the lurch and quit Con you are our eyes and ears on the ground! :D
    Weirdly, for the first election ever, Esher and Walton will be a must watch seat!! I’ll do my best. Delivering today and more tomorrow....

IMO 98% of PB'ers and conservative activists do not give a shit about actual anti semitism just as long as the medias total internal reflection of every story distracts from Boris latest witticisms.
    I abhore anti semitism having seen the horrific aftermath of the liberation of the death camps as a young child and do not connect it at all with this campaign

Labour should be ashamed of the fear they have engendered in the Jewish community but no doubt 2020 will see the ECHC report from which there will be no hiding
  • The result of stories like this is an elderly person gets attacked in the street for supporting Labour.

Jeremy Corbyn gets attacked.

Dianne Abbott gets attacked.

That is what happens with these stories. That is where this goes.

I have been an anti-racist all my (short) life, I would not support a party that was racist. I just wouldn't do it.

Foxy said:

What is?
    So can we expect Greta and the XRs to be protesting at Chinese embassies ?
    The decline in coal burning, even in China, was a positive.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,237
    Gabs3 said:

ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

If it’s an exclusive then the Mail has the same story . Really is this the so called bombshell . As for soul of the nation the Tories are doing a good job in destroying that .

The Mail and the Times have obviously gone code red after the ICM poll. What next Corbyn will order the slaying of the first born son !
    It is.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ephraim-mirvis-what-will-become-of-jews-in-britain-if-labour-forms-the-next-government-ghpsdbljk

You're welcome.

Nobody who reads this is going to have their mind changed, especially not in the Times of all places
    QED.
    Just shows how pathetic and immoral 80% of British left of centre voters are. It has started to make me question my economic views. Why should I be happy to pay for others less fortunate out of solidarity if they show no solidarity to me?
    It's not a bad point. In these fractious times, where screaming on twitter and maiddle-class echo chambers take the place of calm rationality, any group or individual may find themselves subject to the abuse of the crowd or the neglect of the courts. If it helps, I don't think there will be a Corbyn administration or, if there is, he will not remove rights extended to you nor redefine you out of them. But if that does happen, all I can advise you (assuming you can't emigrate) is to hold on and hope things get better. It's not much but it's all I can think of.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    dr_spyn said:
    Even I wouldn't go that far, surely a resignation would do, he does not need to be sacrificed
  • I’d forgotten quite how bad the overreactions were on here.

Reading PB tonight you’d be forgiven for thinking Corbyn was home and hosed with a majority government. When the actual fact of that matter is there has been one mildly encouraging poll for labour that would probably result in a small Tory majority if repeated on GE day.

Only a couple of days ago there was a poll with a 19% Tory lead. Let it sink in how quickly one poll has changed the mood here. Don’t get me wrong, I think the 19% lead was a wacky outlier but you must look at the overall picture.

Let’s see what the next few polls say. If there is a move to Labour registering in other polls then the Tories should be concerned but not terrified. At the moment it is the difference between a small majority and a firm majority.

I still don’t think Labour have done enough to swing enough people behind them to really challenge for government. But let’s wait and see.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

And that's different from the other one reported.
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

It gets to the point though where we know full well what people actually want to happen - and that's Corbyn standing down.

If Corbyn came out tomorrow and apologized for his own personal involvement in anti-Semitism and worked with Jewish organizations to setup a genuinely independent complaints process, he would have my vocal support on it.

But he hasn't. He has maintained the ludicrous 'I didn't look closely', 'present but not involved' lines and had his office interfere in the complaints process to protect left wingers. Oh and accusing British Jews of not understanding stuff. There was no swirl of anti-Semitism around Wilson or Macmillan or Foot, so stop pretending this is poor innocent Jeremy caught in a nefarious plot by sinister conspirators (hook nosed ones presumably).
  • ydoethur said:

If they are a Marxist of course they should be called out for it. No one is responsible for that person’s violence except the person carrying out the violence. My words are not your excuses.
  • Rather amusing at the panic of some PBers at the power of a £50bn bribe.

By coincidence the Conservatives had the availability of a free £50bn bribe to give to students but haven't used it.

I have the suspicion that they don't even know that its available - are Boris and Javid the type of people who will look at ONS borrowing reports ?

People in the Islamic community say Boris Johnson has an Islamophobia problem. Ignored.

Let us wait for the EHRC report shall we
  • Gabs3 said:

If Corbyn came out tomorrow and apologized for his own personal involvement in anti-Semitism and worked with Jewish organizations to setup a genuinely independent complaints process, he would have my vocal support on it.

But he hasn't. He has maintained the ludicrous 'I didn't look closely', 'present but not involved' lines and had his office interfere in the complaints process to protect left wingers. Oh and accusing British Jews of not understanding stuff. There was no swirl of anti-Semitism around Wilson or Macmillan or Foot, so stop pretending this is poor innocent Jeremy caught in a nefarious plot by sinister conspirators (hook nosed ones presumably).
    He literally apologised for it.
  • Foxy said:

What is?
    This has barely begun.

Brexit is frankly a total distraction from the real crisis facing us all.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Byronic said:

So where are we all gonna move to? If Corbyn gets in?

I fancy Greece. Pelion, or Poros. Or perhaps Australia. The northern beaches.

Where’s everyone else going?

I will just stay here and stock up on food and petrol bombs.
    Look on the bright side. After he’s crashed the economy and sodded off, we can all become oligarchs in the IMF imposed fire sale of assets.
    👹

Let us wait for the EHRC report shall we
    Yes we can. But why do you conveniently ignore that Boris Johnson lied when he said he'd do an investigation into Islamophobia?

Heard nothing from you when a Tory candidate was suspended for anti-Semitism, why not?
    Corbyn should be asking the Chief Rabbi whether he supports Trumps decision to declare all Israeli settlements legal. He's being far too apologetic to these so called religious leaders when in truth they are people with an agenda and it's not a popular agenda unless you want the Palestinian's lives to be diminished even further.

• MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    The country would be fine under Corbyn. He wouldn't get an overall majority and the EU will keep a check.

And far far better than Johnson's shitshow.

But a slight narrowing of a couple of opinion polls doesn't warrant the febrile reaction on here.
  • Charles said:

Byronic said:

So where are we all gonna move to? If Corbyn gets in?

I fancy Greece. Pelion, or Poros. Or perhaps Australia. The northern beaches.

Where’s everyone else going?

I will just stay here and stock up on food and petrol bombs.
    Look on the bright side. After he’s crashed the economy and sodded off, we can all become oligarchs in the IMF imposed fire sale of assets.
    👹
    Is that a cautious “I’m in” to my business plan?
  • JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

JohnO said:

Well done John.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Corbyn was a better dancer than Johnson, he told funnier jokes than Johnson, he could paint a whole apartment in one afternoon...
  • If you argue that disagreeing with the Brexit referendum result is trying to abolish democracy then the logical consequence is that anyone campaigning in an election to oppose Johnson, who will Get Brexit Done, is an enemy of democracy and must be stopped by any means necessary.

This is what happens when you elevate the result of one vote to an immutable law that must never be challenged again. Democracy is not like that. The debate never ends. By claiming that any such debate is illegitimate you legitimise violence against those who campaign against the one true guardian of the Brexit vote.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

The result of stories like this is an elderly person gets attacked in the street for supporting Labour.

I have been an anti-racist all my (short) life, I would not support a party that was racist. I just wouldn't do it.

Just as well you aren't Labour then.
  • Roger said:

Corbyn should be asking the Chief Rabbi whether he supports Trumps decision to declare all Israeli settlements legal. He's being far too apologetic to these so called religious leaders when in truth they are people with an agenda and it's not a popular agenda unless you want the Palestinian's lives to be diminished even further.

Just to be clear to anyone with doubts, this post and those like it are not ok. They are disgusting.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

ydoethur said:

If they are a Marxist of course they should be called out for it. No one is responsible for that person’s violence except the person carrying out the violence. My words are not your excuses.
    Fuck a duck.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Roger said:

So even if he did that makes all the anti semitism ok does it Roger?

Here he goes with the "agenda" stuff again
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    HYUFD said:

dr_spyn said:
    Even I wouldn't go that far, surely a resignation would do, he does not need to be sacrificed
    The Daily Telegraph front is fantastic for moderates everywhere. They can vote for Corbyn in the sure knowledge they will get a different moderate Labour leader :smiley:

This election is so crazy.
  • philiph said:

The result of stories like this is an elderly person gets attacked in the street for supporting Labour.

Just as well you aren't Labour then.
    I'm voting Lib Dem but tactically. If I could vote, I'd vote Labour or Green I think.
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited November 2019
    Corbyn's a Nazi, the Tories are finished and we're all dead anyway thanks to an imminent environmental apocalypse.

Just another hour on Political Betting.

• Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    maaarsh said:

Yes, Jeremy Corbyn and his defenders who don't care about racism as long as it is card carrying socialists doing it.
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

ydoethur said:

Yes but it's ok because Labour actually is evil, it's on the front pages of all the newspapers so it must be true. I have heard that they have diabolical plans to ask some people who can afford it to pay a bit more in tax so that we don't have kids asking santa for enough food to eat for Christmas. The Marxist bastards. And they hate Britain, whereas I love Britain so much that I will immediately move to Dubai if they put my taxes up marginally. And they're total racists. And PC killjoys who object to a bit of bantz about pillar boxes.
    Surely all this will do is firm up the muslim vote behind Corbyn
  • dr_spyn said:
    It’s currently at a thirty year low... true story.
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    IshmaelZ said:

Corbyn was a better dancer than Johnson, he told funnier jokes than Johnson, he could paint a whole apartment in one afternoon...
    And he played 18 holes of golf once in 18 shots
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Corbyn's a Nazi, the Tories are finished and we're all dead anyway thanks to an imminent environmental apocalypse.

Just another hour on Political Betting.

So, calmer day than usual then
  • Gabs3 said:

maaarsh said:

Yes, Jeremy Corbyn and his defenders who don't care about racism as long as it is card carrying socialists doing it.
    So you're going to vote for Boris Johnson instead then?
This discussion has been closed.