Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swinson opens up a 28 point ratings gap over Johnson in six CO

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swinson opens up a 28 point ratings gap over Johnson in six CON-held London remain seats

For the last couple of Sundays the former YouGov president, Peter Kellner, has published a total of six constituency polls as part of an effort to examine potential tactical voting possibilities in seats which voted Remain at the referendum. So far all of them have been in London but next weekend we are promised a selection from elsewhere in England.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1st Like the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    Ha ha - the blog is empty. It is my plaything.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Not any more. :naughty:
  • Options
    Drat! My plan would have succeeded if it was not for that pesky poster and his icon...
  • Options
    Oh well... I suppose I could do a "Trump" and simply rewrite history so it says what I want it to say...

Third - like Corbyn!
  • Options

Oh well... I suppose I could do a "Trump" and simply rewrite history so it says what I want it to say...

Third - like Corbyn!

Technically correct, with zero indexing. :)
  • Options
    Increased tactical voting might also explain Labour closing the gap in recent polls, as Remainers swing behind LibDem or Labour in different constituencies.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2019
    Oh well.. if we are talking addressing I always like Indirect Indexed Addressing. It had a certain simplicity to it, but was so much more useful than Indexed Indirect. It always seemed a bit useless to me... rather like Boris.

Corbyn is like COBOL's ALTER statement... to d*mn stupid to be useful
  • Options
    I see Vanilla is a bit useless tonight as well.
  • Options
    BTW - I would like to believe that Mike's header means something more than Mike being hopeful for his party. I would love to see Boris take a defeat in the election, or at least fail to get his landslide that all the PB Tories seem to be getting so excited about.
  • Options
    And on that merry note I wish you all goodnight
    :)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    RobD said:

Rob - did you update your graph for the ICM?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

Did we just get ICM today? I can do that when I get to my laptop - has been a very busy day.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Corbyn doing substantially worse in London remainia.....
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Did we just get ICM today? I can do that when I get to my laptop - has been a very busy day.
    Yes, ICM was the only national poll today - with the lead down to 7%.
    There was also a YouGov Wales only poll - so not relevant for your graph. That had a 4.5% swing implying a 11.5% national lead if same swing across whole UK.
  • Options

Ha ha - the blog is empty. It is my plaything.....

I have an idea for an addition to the Labour manifesto involving hats
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

There was also a YouGov Wales only poll - so not relevant for your graph. That had a 4.5% swing implying a 11.5% national lead if same swing across whole UK.
    OK. Give me 30 mins.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Here you go. No significant movement since it's averaging the last five or so polls.

https://imgur.com/NC4b5do
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Here you go. No significant movement since it's averaging the last five or so polls.

This election has - so far - had some pretty simple storylines:

- the BXP vote has collapsed and its gone to the Tories
    - the LibDem vote dropped by a quarter when the election was called (mostly to the benefit of Labour) but has been pretty stable since
    - after a positive start, Labour has found itself marooned around 30%
  • Options
    As an aside, I'm amazed Deltapoll found 3,000 people in just six constituencies. If (and it's a big if) it's a representative sample, then you'd expect the LDs to substantially outperform their national poll position in London.

So... let's assume for a second that the LDs are up 12.5% in Remainiac London* (i.e. about five points more than in the country as a whole), the Tories are down 5% (because it's Remainia), and the Labour Party is down 7.5%.

That means the LDs win the following seats:

Richmond Park (duh)
    Bermondsey & Old Southwark

That is literally it. A big London Remainia surge nets them two seats.

* Places which voted more than 60% Remain
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, I'm amazed Deltapoll found 3,000 people in just six constituencies. If (and it's a big if) it's a representative sample, then you'd expect the LDs to substantially outperform their national poll position in London.

So... let's assume for a second that the LDs are up 12.5% in Remainiac London* (i.e. about five points more than in the country as a whole), the Tories are down 5% (because it's Remainia), and the Labour Party is down 7.5%.

Richmond Park (duh)

OK. So now let's go with the LDs up 17.5% in London (not happening), while the Tories are down 10%, and Labour down 7.5%. (Which I think you'd agree is pretty punchy...)

That gives the LDs Kensington, Putney, Vauxhall and Wimbledon. (As well as Sutton, which isn't in Remainia.)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

Thanks a lot!
    The next few polls will be critical for your graph!
  • Options
    Wiki has added a 2nd graph - for the campaign period only.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,463
    edited November 2019
    The FT poll tracker has I think been updated with all the latest polls including ICM, and it's changed from 43% to 29% to 43% to 30%.
    https://www.ft.com/content/263615ca-d873-11e9-8f9b-77216ebe1f17

(Incidentally, why is Vanilla automatically inserting an extra line for each new paragraph?)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The FT poll tracker has I think been updated with all the latest polls including ICM, and it's changed from 43% to 29% to 43% to 30%.

(Incidentally, why is Vanilla automatically inserting an extra line for each new paragraph?)

Because it's bloody annoying.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

@rcs1000: Just received an email about the Good Judgement Open "The World in 2020 Challenge". Are you doing it? Sitting this one out as the questions don't really interest me.
  • Options
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

@rcs1000: Just received an email about the Good Judgement Open "The World in 2020 Challenge". Are you doing it? Sitting this one out as the questions don't really interest me.
    I'm a little busy with the insurance company :smile:

All my (limited) forecasting time is spent talking about LD seats on PB.com
  • Options
    Any polls due today?
  • Options

Any polls due today?

There's a poll of orthodox Jews on whether Jeremy Corbyn should be the next Chief Rabbi. It's a real nailbiter.
  • Options

Any polls due today?

I hope so. Some constituency polls would be nice as well.
  • Options
    If Labour is up to 35% this week, I think we may well see the Lib Dem vote collapse - but that is worrying because a strong LD vote hurts the Tories.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Richmond Park (duh)

OK. So now let's go with the LDs up 17.5% in London (not happening), while the Tories are down 10%, and Labour down 7.5%. (Which I think you'd agree is pretty punchy...)

That gives the LDs Kensington, Putney, Vauxhall and Wimbledon. (As well as Sutton, which isn't in Remainia.)
    You are making a false premise by extrapolating the Kellner polls to the whole of London and then concluding “not happening”. LibDems don’t need to be hugely up everywhere in London, just in some key seats. Kellner’s polls found the LibDems already between +20% and +25% in City of London, Wimbledon, Finchley and Kensington.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    I'd resigned myself to a Conservative landslide but I'm beginning to doubt it and this excellent thread header shows another reason why.

Hmmm ...

And meanwhile 1 million mostly youngsters have registered to vote in the last week:

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-more-than-a-million-register-to-vote-as-deadline-looms-11870400
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Any polls due today?

There's a poll of orthodox Jews on whether Jeremy Corbyn should be the next Chief Rabbi. It's a real nailbiter.
    :smiley:

I'm not sure how much the Chief Rabbi's intervention will hurt Labour. According to your dad there was a link to the antisemitism scandal a couple of years ago and Labour's drop in the polls. However, that may now be factored in and there seem to be a lot of people pointing out the inconsistencies over this (two Conservative candidates suspended in just the past week for antisemitism).

But to the person posting below about Labour hitting 35% ... well I would love it to be true providing the yellows hold up in Remainia. But, really?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

If Labour is up to 35% this week, I think we may well see the Lib Dem vote collapse - but that is worrying because a strong LD vote hurts the Tories.

I think LDs will finish in the mid teens, about where we are now, but with an increasingly efficient vote. LD appeal in leafy Southern Remania works well in those areas where Labour's extreme economic policies are a bit too scary.

@rcs1000 may be right that this only wins a handful of seats, but gets many strong second places. This shouldn't scare Labour too much, more gritty urban areas will vote Lab.

Lab on say 32% and LD on 15% with Tories on 40% could work out very nicely if those votes are in the right places. Both Lab and LD need to concentrate their fire on the real enemy, they are not often chasing the same votes.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2019
    The Tories and the right wing press blew their loads too early. Nobody buys this crap anymore - and that is why you see Corbyn's approval ratings trending up.
  • Options
    Polls... MORI have 2 this week, tomorrow is the main VI and Thursday a Scottish VI poll
    We might get a yougov today, maybe a Comres and we are overdue a kantar!
  • Options
    The uber rabbis intervention will likely most impact undecideds, convincing some that labour cannot be voted for. Labour 2017 have a lot of undecideds still according to yougov. This might make some stay home or go to BXP or the LDs
  • Options

The Tories and the right wing press blew their loads too early. Nobody buys this crap anymore - and that is why you see Corbyn's approval ratings trending up.

Well he certainly handled the issue pretty well on the QT programme. It's undoubtedly an issue within Labour, or rather in that driving force of the party, but he somehow managed to distance himself from it and point out, fairly, that he has spent his whole life campaigning against racism.
  • Options

Well he certainly handled the issue pretty well on the QT programme. It's undoubtedly an issue within Labour, or rather in that driving force of the party, but he somehow managed to distance himself from it and point out, fairly, that he has spent his whole life campaigning against racism.
    The big killer in this election is trust.

People simply do not trust Boris Johnson and the Tories to tell the truth, I honestly wonder if "get Brexit done" is backfiring for this very reason.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,336

rcs1000 said:

Any polls due today?

I'm not sure how much the Chief Rabbi's intervention will hurt Labour. According to your dad there was a link to the antisemitism scandal a couple of years ago and Labour's drop in the polls. However, that may now be factored in and there seem to be a lot of people pointing out the inconsistencies over this (two Conservative candidates suspended in just the past week for antisemitism).

But to the person posting below about Labour hitting 35% ... well I would love it to be true providing the yellows hold up in Remainia. But, really?
    It will harm Labour (though how much, who knows?) because it's key for them to drag back voters who really don't like the idea of voting Labour, partly due to antisemitism either sui generis or because it's part of a package of reasons they believe Corbyn would make an appalling PM, but are considering it as a devil's bargain either because they want to stop Brexit or see Johnson and the Tories as 'more racist' and nasty in other ways (NHS, welfare, whatever).

In 2017, as Corbyn's ratings improved, those sceptics came home. This time they are wont to do so but might faced with Johnson. But anything that makes them less able to do that - such as an intervention that gets across the very real fear and pain a majority of Jews feel at the idea of making Corbyn PM, makes them voting Labour rather than Lib Dem, maybe even Green or possibly, in some cases even Tory, or not all, less likely.

Labour people only have themselves to blame for this. They know the reasons a lot of decent Labour-leaning people think Corbyn and his politics are a disgusting disgrace, but might vote for the party anyway, and that they think that, and have been pushing the idea 'its us or the Tories' to try and guilt trip them back. That they ever asked people to vote for a man like Corbyn will be to their eternal shame.
  • Options

People simply do not trust Boris Johnson and the Tories to tell the truth, I honestly wonder if "get Brexit done" is backfiring for this very reason.
    There is zero evidence that Get Brexit Done is backfiring
    The polling on trust is pretty much neck and neck
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

The uber rabbis intervention will likely most impact undecideds, convincing some that labour cannot be voted for. Labour 2017 have a lot of undecideds still according to yougov. This might make some stay home or go to BXP or the LDs

Lead story on the BBC this morning. But TBH for all the reasons I gave last night - and Labour's supporters graphically demonstrated on the last thread and again on this one - it isn't likely to have much effect on anyone. Anyone considering voting for Corbyn simply doesn't care about his record on race relations.
  • Options

It backfired in the two debates, when the answer to every question was "get Brexit done". No wonder Corbyn won over the undecidids, because they don't think "get Brexit done" is an answer to anything.

We will see how the polling goes - but right now Johnson's numbers are trending down and Corbyn's are trending up. In many ways they're a much better predictor of voting behaviour. They reach close to parity as before - then we're headed for a Hung Parliament.

The right simply do not understand Corbyn's appeal - it's why they have utterly failed once again to put people off voting for him.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Richmond Park (duh)

Sam will be insufferable if he wins.

He’s pretty bad already
  • Options

It backfired in the two debates, when the answer to every question was "get Brexit done". No wonder Corbyn won over the undecidids, because they don't think "get Brexit done" is an answer to anything.

We will see how the polling goes - but right now Johnson's numbers are trending down and Corbyn's are trending up. In many ways they're a much better predictor of voting behaviour. They reach close to parity as before - then we're headed for a Hung Parliament.

The right simply do not understand Corbyn's appeal - it's why they have utterly failed once again to put people off voting for him.
    How did it backfire? You not liking it isn't evidence of anything
    Corbyn has very limited appeal, that's why his ratings are in the pan
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Any polls due today?

TBF it would be interesting to see if they still have the 3% who give joke answers to polls...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Lead story on the BBC this morning. But TBH for all the reasons I gave last night - and Labour's supporters graphically demonstrated on the last thread and again on this one - it isn't likely to have much effect on anyone. Anyone considering voting for Corbyn simply doesn't care about his record on race relations.
    I think it will depress labours vote. A single percent could be half a dozen seats
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Any polls due today?

Taking a step back from the politics

Are you comfortable with the fact that a significant minority group is that scared of your preferred party winning the election?
  • Options

But trending up - whereas Johnson's are trending down. This is exactly what happened last time.

That Welsh poll, the gap is now 5 points, that's almost within the MOE.

We will see how it goes - but I can't think dodging debates is going to help out Johnson's supposed appeal to the public. For all his faults, Corbyn doesn't seem to mind scrutiny - and that to me is very telling.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The UK's most senior Jewish leader has issued a scathing dismissal of Labour's response to antisemitism.

Senior Rabbi Baroness Julia Neuberger will give her view on #KayBurley at #Breakfast at 7.30am.

📺 Channel 501
    📱 Watch live: https://t.co/cMHO7fsDYJ https://t.co/QmUiP8Rg7x

Oh dear, what a shame
    I guess Roger and the Horse thing will be along to trash her in 5, 4, 3......
  • Options
    I think that Thursday's climate change debate will be a very interesting one. BoZo running away from such a critical issue is not a good look. It is not just the youngsters who feel strongly about how we are abusing the planet.

Both Lab and LD need to go strongly on the issue, and obviously the Greens. It is a positive issue for these parties, and positivity is a good motivator.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I think that Thursday's climate change debate will be a very interesting one. BoZo running away from such a critical issue is not a good look. It is not just the youngsters who feel strongly about how we are abusing the planet.

Both Lab and LD need to go strongly on the issue, and obviously the Greens. It is a positive issue for these parties, and positivity is a good motivator.
    My favourite part of 2017 (apart from being proven right when most people said I was an idiot) was Tim Farron's destruction of Theresa May in one of the debates. That was very entertaining.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I have to say the Tory response to the climate crisis is absolutely pathetic, going on the manifesto.

I have said for many months (albeit not here), that there are a decent chunk of voters (Labour Leavers fall into this category) who care far more about other issues.

Slowly the election is turning away from Brexit - and Johnson and the Tories know it.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Foxy said:

I have to say the Tory response to the climate crisis is absolutely pathetic, going on the manifesto.

I have said for many months (albeit not here), that there are a decent chunk of voters (Labour Leavers fall into this category) who care far more about other issues.

Slowly the election is turning away from Brexit - and Johnson and the Tories know it.
    I don't see the issue. It is perfectly feasible for an idiot to be right occasionally.
  • Options

But trending up - whereas Johnson's are trending down. This is exactly what happened last time.

We will see how it goes - but I can't think dodging debates is going to help out Johnson's supposed appeal to the public. For all his faults, Corbyn doesn't seem to mind scrutiny - and that to me is very telling.
    Corbyns rating with opinium is below where it was 2 weeks ago. It's up in others.
    He is behind in Wales, behind Boris in labours heartland. Hes a dud.
  • Options

Corbyns rating with opinium is below where it was 2 weeks ago. It's up in others.
    He is behind in Wales, behind Boris in labours heartland. Hes a dud.
    Yeah okay, we'll see about that
  • Options

Foxy said:

More wild claims without a shred of evidence in support. Total fantasist.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Johnson, is that you?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Or they think it's still better than Johnson's and the Tories' record. Has Corbyn ever personally used racist language? And then refused to even acknowledge it was wrong? Has Corbyn ever promised an inquiry into racism in his party and then backtracked on that promise? Which party receives more votes from minority groups? I know many BAME friends who would never vote Tory because of their record on racism.
    Nobody is happy about the anti-Semitism issue in Labour, but I think it's a mistake for religious leaders to insert themselves into the political debate, especially during an election. It demeans their office and opens them up to accusations of bias.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Johnson, is that you?
    Why, do you want to warn me about being a jew in the reichstag?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Charles said:

Are you comfortable with the fact that a significant minority group is that scared of your preferred party winning the election?

Again, I think we're missing the point here. Current Labour supporters have a very Manichaean view of the world. They are good, and therefore what they do is right. Everyone else is wrong, therefore what they do is bad.
    Therefore, such things as their leader and his general secretary being a pair of racists who have made it perfectly acceptable to use the Labour Party apparatus to hound Jews doesn't matter because they are Labour. Meanwhile Boris Johnson making racist remarks about - well, just about everyone, tbf - is seriously wrong because he's Boris Johnson.
    This simple view of the world also explains why they don't understand the intense dislike they get from everyone else. They are good so why are they hated? It does not seem to occur to them that perhaps the reason is that it's because they are not good.
    So in answer to your question, it won't bother them because they genuinely don't believe it to be true, regardless of awkward things like actual evidence. Again, we have seen this on the last two threads.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It is factored in already. Anti-semitism infests part of the hard left (and part of the hard right too). The two differ though. The hard right is hostile to Jews in the diaspora, but largely supportive of the State of Israel, while the hard left is largely the opposite.

I think that the British legacy in the Middle East is so bad that we should steer clear of any further involvement.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Johnson, is that you?
    Why, do you want to warn me about being a jew in the reichstag?
    It's good for you to acknowledge Johnson's deep issues with racism.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Or they think it's still better than Johnson's and the Tories' record. Has Corbyn ever personally used racist language? And then refused to even acknowledge it was wrong? Has Corbyn ever promised an inquiry into racism in his party and then backtracked on that promise? Which party receives more votes from minority groups? I know many BAME friends who would never vote Tory because of their record on racism.
    Nobody is happy about the anti-Semitism issue in Labour, but I think it's a mistake for religious leaders to insert themselves into the political debate, especially during an election. It demeans their office and opens them up to accusations of bias.
    Heaven forbid people suffering racial abuse show any bias about it.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

ydoethur said:

Yes, Yes, Yes, and we are talking about one subset of BAME so that question is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

It is factored in already. Anti-semitism infests part of the hard left (and part of the hard right too). The two differ though. The hard right is hostile to Jews in the diaspora, but largely supportive of the State of Israel, while the hard left is largely the opposite.

I think that the British legacy in the Middle East is so bad that we should steer clear of any further involvement.
    Bit difficult when her majesty opposition is infested with antisemitism. If they sort it out maybe we can stay out of it.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    Admittedly speaking as an (exiled) dripping wet, former Labour supporting, North London metropolitan liberal elitist myself, I have always struggled to understand the visceral hatred of Swinson on here. Sure, you don’t have to like her if you’re not a Lib Dem, but the depth of the reaction has spoken to something deeper to my eye.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    edited November 2019
    Oh, not on topic, I think the Corbyn anti semitism accusations are priced in by now. At this point you either accept them or you don’t. Personally I think Corbyn suffers from a massive unconscious bias.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Any polls due today?

My preferred party is the Lib Dems. I'm massively pro EU, and I tag along with Labour in my constituency in the hope that it's the best pathway right now to rescinding Brexit.

And, no. But there are many many instances of systemic and ad hoc racism in this country at the moment, mostly I have to say fuelled since the bloody Brexit brought nastiness to the fore. Antisemitism is but one example. The Conservatives have no moral ground on this.

I understand, of course, why Jewish communities are sensitive to persecution but unless they wish to stoke the very thing they fear they need to speak about ALL forms of racism. For example, Islamophobia.

Anyway, moving on ...
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Admittedly speaking as an (exiled) dripping wet, former Labour supporting, North London metropolitan liberal elitist myself, I have always struggled to understand the visceral hatred of Swinson on here. Sure, you don’t have to like her if you’re not a Lib Dem, but the depth of the reaction has spoken to something deeper to my eye.

I don't understand it either. But I have a number of neutral friends who also find her a bit irritating / inexperienced.
  • Options
    Have a lovely day all, it does get a bit heated here at times
  • Options

The UK's most senior Jewish leader has issued a scathing dismissal of Labour's response to antisemitism.

Senior Rabbi Baroness Julia Neuberger will give her view on #KayBurley at #Breakfast at 7.30am.

📺 Channel 501

Oh dear, what a shame

Why should I care what Julia Neuberger thinks of Kay Burley?
  • Options
    And I’m sure I contribute to that so I apologise
  • Options

Foxy said:

Going for making the UK carbon neutral by 2050, subsidising energy efficiency in homes, and banning the sale of petrol/diesel cars as soon as practical is pathetic?

I recognise there’s a visceral desire amongst some to stop all carbon emissions tomorrow, or by 2025 if you’re XR, but that isn’t possible without totally collapsing the economy and causing hundreds of thousands of deaths from poverty, malnutrition and worklessness. It would also lead to the collapse of democratic Government.

A fate even worse than some extreme climate events, assuming you’re not a misanthrope. It would also set back the private enterprise and technological innovations - and tax revenues to subsidise them - that we’re relying on to develop sustainable energy solutions.

Again, Labour has rhetoric not answers.
  • Options

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Any polls due today?

My preferred party is the Lib Dems. I'm massively pro EU, and I tag along with Labour in my constituency in the hope that it's the best pathway right now to rescinding Brexit.

And, no. But there are many many instances of systemic and ad hoc racism in this country at the moment, mostly I have to say fuelled since the bloody Brexit brought nastiness to the fore. Antisemitism is but one example. The Conservatives have no moral ground on this.

I understand, of course, why Jewish communities are sensitive to persecution but unless they wish to stoke the very thing they fear they need to speak about ALL forms of racism. For example, Islamophobia.

Anyway, moving on ...
    “Jews, stop making it all about YOU, or else!”
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Heaven forbid people suffering racial abuse show any bias about it.
    I think a senior religious leader has a different kind of role and should stay above party politics. The last thing we need in this country is religion infecting politics.
  • Options

Foxy said:

A fate even worse than some extreme climate events,.
    Actually, I have a good Conservative friend who thinks we NEED a mass human extinction. He advocates it as the only way to save the planet.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Any polls due today?

Anyway, moving on ...
    Precisely.

It's the pathway to the very thing they oppose.

No. 1 lesson I was taught by my Jewish friends when I was in Israel: 'we are not special. That's how it all began.'

p.s. By the way, I'm sure everyone knows this, but there are myriad factions within 'Judaism' and some of them virtually at war with one another.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It won’t, but if we’re going to talk about the campaign politics of this then its main effect will be to deny a 24-hr news cycle to something else, like WASPI women.

So it’s another day of campaign momentum lost to Labour.

That said they do seem to have planned to go today with how ghastly the British empire was, which I’m sure animates the momentum base but I can’t see is decisive for firming up voting support like bungs are.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

📺 Channel 501

Oh dear, what a shame

Why should I care what Julia Neuberger thinks of Kay Burley?
    I'm not sure you should, its more that the story is clearly going to be today's main one and the pressure is on the reds to respond to the accusations of their crap efforts
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Again, I think we're missing the point here. Current Labour supporters have a very Manichaean view of the world. They are good, and therefore what they do is right. Everyone else is wrong, therefore what they do is bad.
    Therefore, such things as their leader and his general secretary being a pair of racists who have made it perfectly acceptable to use the Labour Party apparatus to hound Jews doesn't matter because they are Labour. Meanwhile Boris Johnson making racist remarks about - well, just about everyone, tbf - is seriously wrong because he's Boris Johnson.
    This simple view of the world also explains why they don't understand the intense dislike they get from everyone else. They are good so why are they hated? It does not seem to occur to them that perhaps the reason is that it's because they are not good.
    So in answer to your question, it won't bother them because they genuinely don't believe it to be true, regardless of awkward things like actual evidence. Again, we have seen this on the last two threads.
    That’s a interesting - and quite possibly accurate - response. I was rather hoping @Mysticrose would answer but s/he has disappeared
  • Options

He’s spent his whole life turning up to rallies and making stump speeches (usually the same ones) at fringe causes that align with his anti-Western/imperial ideology.

That’s it.

There are far far bigger figures in the anti-racism camp in Labour than Corbyn, who’ve actually led a fight, and more effective ones too.
  • Options
    It’s twice as time consuming to find and read comments this morning with this new format.

Vanilla need a slap.
  • Options
    Blimey. Do you suppose the poster above actually realises they are quoting Nazi propaganda tropes, or is it just a grisly coincidence?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, Yes, Yes, and we are talking about one subset of BAME so that question is irrelevant.
    Precisely. One subset of BAME, and yet the racism and abuse the other 90% experience is written off as irrelevant. When have the Times and the Mail run a coordinated front page on Islamophobia in the Tory party? Where was the outrage when Johnson's comments on the niqab led to a 400% increase in racist attacks? I don't complain about the Jewish community venting their frustration at Labour (although I think it's unwise for the Chief Rabbi to get involved). I am frustrated at Labour myself. But I can't help noticing the double standards in how the media, and for that matter people on here, treat the issues. And plenty of BAME people are noticing too, believe me.
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

That’s a interesting - and quite possibly accurate - response. I was rather hoping @Mysticrose would answer but s/he has disappeared
    I have responded below.

I expect much of what I post on here is intellectually low grade. The one on Jewish communities isn't. It's subtle but really important.
  • Options

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Any polls due today?

Anyway, moving on ...
    Precisely.

It's the pathway to the very thing they oppose.

No. 1 lesson I was taught by my Jewish friends when I was in Israel: 'we are not special. That's how it all began.'

p.s. By the way, I'm sure everyone knows this, but there are myriad factions within 'Judaism' and some of them virtually at war with one another.
    Yeah, they all fight each other anyway.

Fuck ‘em.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited November 2019

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Precisely. One subset of BAME, and yet the racism and abuse the other 90% experience is written off as irrelevant. When have the Times and the Mail run a coordinated front page on Islamophobia in the Tory party? Where was the outrage when Johnson's comments on the niqab led to a 400% increase in racist attacks? I don't complain about the Jewish community venting their frustration at Labour (although I think it's unwise for the Chief Rabbi to get involved). I am frustrated at Labour myself. But I can't help noticing the double standards in how the media, and for that matter people on here, treat the issues. And plenty of BAME people are noticing too, believe me.
    Out of interest, what was the base number 400% was based on?

Not condoning stiring up racism, but at least Johnson supported the right to choose to wear whichever clothing you wanted.

• Options

Foxy said:

A fate even worse than some extreme climate events,.
    Actually, I have a good Conservative friend who thinks we NEED a mass human extinction. He advocates it as the only way to save the planet.

Is he standing for public office?
  • Options
    Morning all. The Swinson / Johnson swing in that London demonstrates that UNS will be told to do one in this election. The LibDems will hoover up remain votes in London and our hault won't just be Richmond Park - I do expect Umunna Berger and Gyimah to win their seats. Similarly Labour's decapitation obsession means they are drowning Chingford and Wood Green with Momentum stromtroopers whilst leaving the defence of Enfield Southgate to local activists only.

We are going to see all kinds of surprising results. The late swing in this election may not be the willingness of people publicly to say they'll vote for Corbyn or Swinson. But the temptation to locally tactically vote outside of the main poll headline can already be felt if you dig into reportage from across the country and the number of don't knows and the general plague on all your houses vibe.

Another badly hung parliament.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

It isn’t dismissed. It’s just you notice the criticism more because it’s directed at you.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It won’t, but if we’re going to talk about the campaign politics of this then its main effect will be to deny a 24-hr news cycle to something else, like WASPI women.

That said they do seem to have planned to go today with how ghastly the British empire was, which I’m sure animates the momentum base but I can’t see is decisive for firming up voting support like bungs are.

ydoethur said:

A perfect example of the tone-deaf attitude towards race and racism on this site. You speak mockingly about the British empire being ghastly - but the empire was ghastly, and an explicitly racist enterprise. It gave us the Atlantic slave trade, the Irish famine, the Bengal famine, the scramble for Africa, the partition of India and nurtured ideas of racial superiority at home that still plague us to this day. And yet the same people who are willing to devote days of the election campaign to the issue of anti Semitism just dismiss this toxic legacy of empire like it's some kind of PC joke.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    edited November 2019

DougSeal said:

I don't understand it either. But I have a number of neutral friends who also find her a bit irritating / inexperienced.
    As someone that voted Charlie Kennedy and was a touch morose when Clegg lost his seat, I can confirm she comes across as both irritating and inexperienced. Are there people that have visceral hatred for her? That's a bit strong.
    Perhaps it's because she's patently not up to the task of wrenching the second party mantle from the Commies. Which I dare say is something that is wanted by as much as two thirds of the electorate.
  • Options

I don't know why the core LD vote would collapse if Labour were to reach 35%.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    What on earth has Vanilla aged to do now? Threads will be pages and pages long!
  • Options
    edited November 2019

ydoethur said:

A perfect example of the tone-deaf attitude towards race and racism on this site. You speak mockingly about the British empire being ghastly - but the empire was ghastly, and an explicitly racist enterprise. It gave us the Atlantic slave trade, the Irish famine, the Bengal famine, the scramble for Africa, the partition of India and nurtured ideas of racial superiority at home that still plague us to this day. And yet the same people who are willing to devote days of the election campaign to the issue of anti Semitism just dismiss this toxic legacy of empire like it's some kind of PC joke.
    They’re doing exactly what you’re doing. Just aimed at a different target.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

Bad things happening hundreds of years ago are probably not the best shield for the anti-Semites in Labour today.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited November 2019

Whilst you’re right that the British Empire was nothing to be proud of, it does not mean Labour dealing with anti-semitism and anti-semitism apologism within their membership should not be held to account
This discussion has been closed.