Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Finchley & Golders Green – the only constituency where there’v

SystemSystem Posts: 11,004
edited November 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Finchley & Golders Green – the only constituency where there’ve been two polls

The Chief Rabbi’s comments on anti-semitism put the focus once again on what’s troubled Corbyn’s Labour Party for nearly 2 years – the way it has handled anti-semitism within the movement.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    The Hindus (pro) and the Sikhs (against) are piling into the Chief Rabbi’s row with Jeremy Corbyn too now. Just the Jedis left to come and that’s a religious full house. Take a bow, #GE2019 https://t.co/PgOSt3JXGJ
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,932
    The trouble is if Labour continue to narrow the gap nationally and it's looking close on polling day, are Jewish voters in Finchley and Golders Green really going to risk letting Corbyn become PM of a coalition government by voting Lib Dem?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    I think LD will fall (relatively) just short here as they will in several London and SE constituencies.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,099
    Four and a half years, not two, surely? His close links with Deir Yassin Remembered, Iran and Hamas were an issue in the leadership campaign.
  • Options
    Remember a vote for LD or GRN or PC or SNP is a vote for CORBYN/STURGEON chaos!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283
    Great response to Labour's Faith Manifesto.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1199390279876403201
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Ah the caste botherers have spoken.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    Either way Finchley and Golders Green is now a Tory v LD battle having been a Labour seat from 1997 to 2010
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

That’s more complimentary than your remarks on the famous occasion they caused you to lose a bet which involved eating a pizza with pineapple on it.
  • Options
    Luciana should have gone for an ex Liberal now Labour seat like Lynne Featherstone's seat. Everything seems to point to Tories holding up much better than expected in London so don't see her winning but possibly 2nd.
  • Options
    Any new polls tonight ?

It seems an exceptionally important stage of the canpaign.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,554
    Chris said:

Ave_it said:

Sky/YouGov poll is ok for us - we'll take 10 to 11% lead all night (or fortnight :lol: ) long!

The last four polls have taken the median lead down from 12-13 to 11.
    It was 11.5 at this stage (D-16) in GE17 :wink:
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    dr_spyn said:

Could put Brentford and Isleworth and Harrow West in play, Hounslow and Harrow have amongst the highest Hindu vote in the UK
  • Options
    Gorgeous gorgeous lady.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

Any new polls tonight ?

I think we are due a ComRes, but that might be tomorrow? Also the MRP comes out tomorrow!
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    HYUFD said:

Either way Finchley and Golders Green is now a Tory v LD battle having been a Labour seat from 1997 to 2010

The boundaries are of course somewhat different.
  • Options
    Who would win in a forced choice between Andrew and Corbyn?
  • Options

Chris said:

Ave_it said:

Sky/YouGov poll is ok for us - we'll take 10 to 11% lead all night (or fortnight :lol: ) long!

Depends how you calculate it. I make it 11 now vs 10 then.
  • Options

Cyanide.
  • Options
    To think she could have been Tony Blair's daughter-in-law, that really would have enraged the Corbynistas.
  • Options
    Liberal Party Election Broadcast being shown now on Scottish Television featuring individuals across England. That will go down like a bag of sick across Scotland. Even SLAB managed to have one featuring Richard Leonard. The SCons ones have featured SCon MPs and MSPs.
  • Options
    I dunno about this religious leaders do politics schtick, although I get it’s a different case with the Chief Rabbi.

I get pretty irritated whenever the Archbishop of Canterbury opines and I’m basically CofE.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,325

I dunno about this religious leaders do politics schtick, although I get it’s a different case with the Chief Rabbi.

I get pretty irritated whenever the Archbishop of Canterbury opines and I’m basically CofE.

Remember the Bishops statement in 2017/? where they effectively told people to vote Labour...
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    ''Could put Brentford and Isleworth and Harrow West in play, Hounslow and Harrow have amongst the highest Hindu vote in the UK ''

Ealing Southall.....Con gain!!!!!! LOL

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,932

How old is the person being forced to make the choice?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    No, it's a terrible question.

How will you differentiate between those who say 'no' because they hate Sprouts and those who say 'no' because they hate Brussels?

Might all end up with another referendum.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    Personal view: I think that the Deltapoll numbers are almost certainly spot on. They are almost exactly what I'd expect for the constituency: a big LD surge, but not enough.

I would expect similar results (i.e. a big surge... but not enough...) in Kensington, Cities of London & Westminster, Putney, and Wimbledon.

There will likely be a lot of close results, and some rather disappointed candidates (and ex-MPs).
  • Options
    Good god, only 2% knew about Labour's broadband policy? :o
  • Options
    One reason I doubt there’ll be a landslide: the Ashcroft forced choice only puts Boris leading a Tory Gov over Corbyn leading a Labour Gov at 55:45 respectively, just 10 points.

For a landslide, I’d be expecting something like 60:40 in Boris’s favour, or even higher.
  • Options

Liberal Party Election Broadcast being shown now on Scottish Television featuring individuals across England. That will go down like a bag of sick across Scotland. Even SLAB managed to have one featuring Richard Leonard. The SCons ones have featured SCon MPs and MSPs.

My surprise result is CON gain Hamilton E and Lanark as LAB tactically vote CON to get rid of SNP. Also maybe Perth and Perthshire N. And possibly Argyll & Bute but less LAB to squeeze there.

Possible not Ross Skye etc although we did win there 1979!
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    'Veered towards an almost fascist ideaology'
    Let's hope those words stick in the throat of every Corbyn apologist. And now how even more hollow and twisted do the attacks on the chief Rabbi look?
  • Options

Luciana should have gone for an ex Liberal now Labour seat like Lynne Featherstone's seat. Everything seems to point to Tories holding up much better than expected in London so don't see her winning but possibly 2nd.

I think she went for Finchley & Golders Green because she used to live in Finchley and commute to Haberdashers Askes. I think she'll manage a good second in the seat, but no more.
  • Options
    On candidate spoilers, I’m worried Count Binhead will take votes away from Lord Buckethead.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

The trouble is if Labour continue to narrow the gap nationally and it's looking close on polling day, are Jewish voters in Finchley and Golders Green really going to risk letting Corbyn become PM of a coalition government by voting Lib Dem?

Is Labour narrowing the gap? Aren't they marooned about twelve points behind the Conservatives. I can understand how that narrative might work in the constituency, but I don't think it's actually true.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    FPT;

Could Labour perking up a bit be almost entirely due to the WASPI bung? People who wouldn't vote Labour unless you paid them, are literally getting paid to vote Labour. It would be interesting to see whether their vote share amongst females has increased, though the spouses could well be just as enthused.

No significant difference between this and the last Yougov re:gender, both Labour and Tories up by same amount with women.

The main difference is Labour surging wiv da yoof and being slightly less shit with the retired.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Ave_it said:

No it isn’t stop your nightly ramping for labour to scare people back to the buffoon.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Any new polls tonight ?

I think we are due a ComRes, but that might be tomorrow? Also the MRP comes out tomorrow!
    Theres a MORI tomorrow too
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

My surprise result is CON gain Hamilton E and Lanark as LAB tactically vote CON to get rid of SNP. Also maybe Perth and Perthshire N. And possibly Argyll & Bute but less LAB to squeeze there.

My shock of the night prediction is for the SCons to beat GE2017 in seats.

If they top 16 seats (three net gains) I make a nice sum with Laddys.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,261
    edited November 2019
    TudorRose said:

How will you differentiate between those who say 'no' because they hate Sprouts and those who say 'no' because they hate Brussels?

It was the final question in a series of questions about Bruxelles Sprouts.

They know my feelings about them, that they are nearly as bad as pineapple on pizzas.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Personal view: I think that the Deltapoll numbers are almost certainly spot on. They are almost exactly what I'd expect for the constituency: a big LD surge, but not enough.

I would expect similar results (i.e. a big surge... but not enough...) in Kensington, Cities of London & Westminster, Putney, and Wimbledon.

There will likely be a lot of close results, and some rather disappointed candidates (and ex-MPs).

Berger and Umunna have more chance of squeezing the Labour vote though as ex Labour MPs
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

'Veered towards an almost fascist ideaology'
    Let's hope those words stick in the throat of every Corbyn apologist. And now how even more hollow and twisted do the attacks on the chief Rabbi look?

You’re a Boris apologist so you have no right to comment whatsoever on right or wrong.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    BluerBlue said:

Could Labour perking up a bit be almost entirely due to the WASPI bung? People who wouldn't vote Labour unless you paid them, are literally getting paid to vote Labour. It would be interesting to see whether their vote share amongst females has increased, though the spouses could well be just as enthused.

There isn't really much the Tories can do. To attack the claim draws more people's attention to the free money.

All they can do is use the fact they've been conservative with the dosh so far, and come out with their own barrel of pork. Something eye catching to steal the agenda.

What would be most effective? Matching the Waspi money, or trying to open up a new front in a Labour flank? Sadly, I suspect those flanks are so tribal that they can't actually be bribed to vote Tory!
    Even if it was desirable to match the bribe, there's no way it could be done without being a catastrophic humiliation.

Yes, a new front. Not aimed at tribal Labour supporters, aimed at the waverers. Not students, but perhaps Theresa May's jams. Bearing in mind that they'll probably actually have to deliver it, so it cannot be totally insane. Student debt is a possible target. Help to buy is another. Gradual VAT reduction (reward for leaving) is another.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Ave_it said:

No it isn’t stop your nightly ramping for labour to scare people back to the buffoon.
    It's not going to make a blind bit of difference on here is it?
  • Options

RobD said:

Any new polls tonight ?

It feels like Christmas Eve :o:D
  • Options
    Which genius said "no-one gives a toss about the social media cut and thrust"?
  • Options

"Twitter and Britain, they are not the same thing".
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

On candidate spoilers, I’m worried Count Binhead will take votes away from Lord Buckethead.

Isn't that the Loonies for Leave vs the diehard Loonie Remainers? Could be close; 52-48 possibly.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Any new polls tonight ?

Sky News just showed a clip of the Sunderland students passing the ballot boxes, and I was almost getting ready for the first result to drop.
  • Options

One reason I doubt there’ll be a landslide: the Ashcroft forced choice only puts Boris leading a Tory Gov over Corbyn leading a Labour Gov at 55:45 respectively, just 10 points.

For a landslide, I’d be expecting something like 60:40 in Boris’s favour, or even higher.

I think there will be a landslide simply because the Labour Party has lost seven to eight points of share to the LDs, and while they might get one or two back, that's not enough.

Worse for the Labour Party, the Conservative vote share is rising in places where Labour is the challenger, and is falling where the LDs are distant number twos or threes.

That makes for an increasingly efficient vote share. I'm going to say a majority of 100+ is highly likely.

• Options

Ave_it said:

Perthshire, Edinburgh SW and East Lothian. Job done ;)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

RobD said:

RobD said:

Any new polls tonight ?

Sky News just showed a clip of the Sunderland students passing the ballot boxes, and I was almost getting ready for the first result to drop.
    Hopefully Newcastle will beat Sunderland in the race to declare first again this year.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,433

The Hindus (pro) and the Sikhs (against) are piling into the Chief Rabbi’s row with Jeremy Corbyn too now. Just the Jedis left to come and that’s a religious full house. Take a bow, #GE2019 https://t.co/PgOSt3JXGJ

Isn't identity politics wonderful.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Chris said:

Ave_it said:

Depends how you calculate it. I make it 11 now vs 10 then.
    Last four polls of Wiki for both calcs for me. Last six polls on Wiki (which I have been doing most days) also show 11.5% for the current GE.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Have to say, the delta from Labour's original 23% poll level and where they finish up will be a nice measure of how many hypocritical poseurs there are who happily spend 2 years saying they wouldn't vote for a racist, but when push came to shove discovered they didn't really care.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Waspi question for Corbyn from Neil tonight...

“You are not proposing to offer compensation for pension change to women born in 1960?”

Corb : Correct

“So you believe that 26 years was sufficient notice but 25 years was not?”

Corb: Ummmm...

So if the Pensions Act has only specified one extra year then the country would have saved 58b through averting this “monstrous injustice”

The Conservatives are really making a mistake with the line that this is “unaffordable”. They should be focussing fairly and squarely on the idea that the change wasn’t planned properly with fair notice. Not least because if you cave into this argument then virtually all pension reform becomes almost impossible for ever more. And actually with all the changes in recent years to state and other pensions they are equivalent or even far more deserving, far more short notice, injustices” that would dwarf this one in financial cost.

Simply focussing on the cost of recompense gives the campaign validity and suggests that everything is only driven by money.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Any new polls tonight ?

If Christmas was the day a beardy man who loves red breaks into your house and steals all your stuff... :fearful:
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Just shows how engaged the population are with specifics of the election. It also must call in to question the representativeness of polls if people really are not interested. You can take two views Tory landslide because ‘boris is cool’ or 55% turnout and who knows how it will fall
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Ave_it said:

Corbyn will be on with Andrew Neil soon!

It could produce a (further) swing back to Labour!!

Or maybe not !!!

• Options
    Have we had any polls today? I haven't checked.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Have to say, the delta from Labour's original 23% poll level and where they finish up will be a nice measure of how many hypocritical poseurs there are who happily spend 2 years saying they wouldn't vote for a racist, but when push came to shove discovered they didn't really care.

They may have been down-weighted because although they said they'dvote Labour, their likelihood to vote was lower?
  • Options

Whether anyone gave a toss wasn't asked.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

A YouGov for Sky, I think.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1199374507082964994
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Any new polls tonight ?

Hopefully Newcastle will beat Sunderland in the race to declare first again this year.
    Nick Brown and Chi the first casualties of 'the horror', Catherine McKinnel has a miracle hold against the tide (this post is sarcastic)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

YouGov and Kantar.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    RobD said:

Good god, only 2% knew about Labour's broadband policy? :o
    Told you, nobody has mentioned it to me on the doorstep.....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,329
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

That’s more complimentary than your remarks on the famous occasion they caused you to lose a bet which involved eating a pizza with pineapple on it.
    I am surprised you didn’t make a pun around letting he who is without Sind caste the first stone....
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Why did the Daily Mirror splash massively on Labour’s pensioners manifesto today if Labour weren’t focussing on it themselves? Was it a late decision in response to the rabbi?
  • Options
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Or those who answer no because they grow their own on their allotment?
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Any new polls tonight ?

If Christmas was the day a beardy man who loves red breaks into your house and steals all your stuff... :fearful:
    Is he in favour of Claus 4?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Waspi question for Corbyn from Neil tonight...

“You are not proposing to offer compensation for pension change to women born in 1960?”

Corb : Correct

“So you believe that 26 years was sufficient notice but 25 years was not?”

Corb: Ummmm...

So if the Pensions Act has only specified one extra year then the country would have saved 58b through averting this “monstrous injustice”

The Conservatives are really making a mistake with the line that this is “unaffordable”. They should be focussing fairly and squarely on the idea that the change wasn’t planned properly with fair notice. Not least because if you cave into this argument then virtually all pension reform becomes almost impossible for ever more. And actually with all the changes in recent years to state and other pensions they are equivalent or even far more deserving, far more short notice, injustices” that would dwarf this one in financial cost.

Simply focussing on the cost of recompense gives the campaign validity and suggests that everything is only driven by money.

No, they shouldn't focus on it at all. Corbyn being seen as profligate is a done deal. All focusing on winning this argument does is draw more peoples' attention to the fact that there's a tidy windfall for them if Labour wins.

The only win to be gained her is to respond with a totally different bribe (or three). Then it's Labour who can't respond, because they can't critique the Tories for spending too much, nor can they spend any more to try and get the attention back. They have played their last card, and it was a pretty good one, but now it's for the Tories to counter.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    nichomar said:

Just shows how engaged the population are with specifics of the election. It also must call in to question the representativeness of polls if people really are not interested. You can take two views Tory landslide because ‘boris is cool’ or 55% turnout and who knows how it will fall
    The meme of Johnson's lies is a strong theme, showing through. While Corbyn is feared by some he is thought to be sincere indeed he frightens Tories for precisely that reason!

Sorry @rcs1000, but I have known a few landslide elections in my time, but this one really doesn't feel like it on the ground. I have cashed out my spread bets.
  • Options
  • Options
    a
    nichomar said:

If only 6% recalled Brexit, it can’t be particularly meaningful.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nichomar said:

The meme of Johnson's lies is a strong theme, showing through. While Corbyn is feared by some he is thought to be sincere indeed he frightens Tories for precisely that reason!

Sorry @rcs1000, but I have known a few landslide elections in my time, but this one really doesn't feel like it on the ground. I have cashed out my spread bets.
    Oh, I think a Johnson landslide will be a disaster for the country. I don't look forward to it, I just think it's going to happen.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,586
    edited November 2019
    Car crash interview with Brillo looks to be incoming:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50564965
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

I am surprised you didn’t make a pun around letting he who is without Sind caste the first stone....
    I can’t take every opportunity to make awesome puns, it would leave the rest of you bereft. I was also seeking a karma atmosphere than the last thread, where we had some actual Nazis posting in support of Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    BluerBlue said:
    That looks fake to me.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn: Peccavi.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

BluerBlue said:
    That looks fake to me.
    Part of it is confirmed in a BBC news story.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Which Perthshire .
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

BluerBlue said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Any new polls tonight ?

Secular Saint Nicksalot.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,962
    edited November 2019
    maaarsh said:

If you don’t want to vote for a racist, the remaining options are Green, LD, SNP and PC.
  • Options
    Corbyn refuses to apologize to the Jewish community in the interview merely saying 'I dont want anyone to go through what anyone has gone through' clip on Twitter
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Car crash interview with Brillo looks to be incoming:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50564965

Labour falling further into the rabbi hole.
    (Is that better, @Nigelb?)
  • Options
    "Maybe today’s focus on LAB’s antisemitism will help Berger. I have a small bet on her doing it."

I disagree. The more people worry about Labour, the more likely they will be to vote Tory, unless the Lib Dems are clear challengers, which they're not here.

I have to say, the threat of Corbyn is a factor in my thinking this election. Despite the fact that Johnson is an untrustworthy buffoon surrounded by the Tory right ministers and dangerous advisors, can I risk a Labour-led government with Corbyn and his shadow cabinet by voting for a non-Con option in a marginal where only Con and Lab can win? I'm not sure I can.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Which Perthshire .
    Perth and NP (wishartville)
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Corbyn: Peccavi.
    That’s a very old joke...
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

BluerBlue said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Any new polls tonight ?

Secular Saint Nicksalot.
    Pocket - ‘me lita.’
    Now I wonder if anyone will get that rather obscure pun...
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    RobD said:

Byronic said:

BluerBlue said:
    That looks fake to me.
    Part of it is confirmed in a BBC news story.
    Yes I just saw the clip. Ouch.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283
    @Nigelb peccavi as General Napier put it.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Count Binface is Lord Buckethead from the previous election.

The current Buckethead is an usurper.
  • Options
    The last 3 polls are identical I think: 43% to 32%.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    I'm assuming the discussion on Twitter about the Andrew Neil interview (7pm?) is the reason the Tories have tightened their Betfair prices over the last hour or so.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,962
    edited November 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Oh, I think a Johnson landslide will be a disaster for the country. I don't look forward to it, I just think it's going to happen.
    There’s something Oedipal about your constant talking down of LD prospects!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

Gorgeous gorgeous lady.

Sounding a bit Swiss Tony there.
    Which is fine.
This discussion has been closed.