Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Finchley & Golders Green – the only constituency where there’v

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    SunnyJim said:

I'm assuming the discussion on Twitter about the Andrew Neil interview (7pm?) is the reason the Tories have tightened their Betfair prices over the last hour or so.

Probably an overreaction. It would have to be truly catastrophic to move the polls.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,433

Liberal Party Election Broadcast being shown now on Scottish Television featuring individuals across England. That will go down like a bag of sick across Scotland. Even SLAB managed to have one featuring Richard Leonard. The SCons ones have featured SCon MPs and MSPs.

Interesting what you were saying about Jamie Stone being at risk in CSER due to strength of SCon with unionists. Thinking about it, Caithness looks a lot more like Moray and coastal Aberdeenshire than it does the Highlands, and look at what has happened there. I would still expect Jamie to win, but maybe Brexit will be a killer for him? Shock result - Tories take the seat from third?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    Corbyns 'I'm not racist' becoming more and more like Gordons 'my expenses are completely legit'
    Protesteth too much
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Dear God, Jo Swinson, get a stylist!!! Purple coat, scarlet top, giant turquoise ear-rings - it's a horrible look.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Brillo is going to murder all the leaders - won't be pretty.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

I'm assuming the discussion on Twitter about the Andrew Neil interview (7pm?) is the reason the Tories have tightened their Betfair prices over the last hour or so.

Probably an overreaction. It would have to be truly catastrophic to move the polls.
    Here's hoping.....
  • Options
    What is Andrew Neil likely to do to Boris?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Nigelb said:

a

nichomar said:

Just shows how engaged the population are with specifics of the election. It also must call in to question the representativeness of polls if people really are not interested. You can take two views Tory landslide because ‘boris is cool’ or 55% turnout and who knows how it will fall
    If only 6% recalled Brexit, it can’t be particularly meaningful.
    Assuming your views are well formed on brexit etc then I think the poll message is that nothing has impacted on their views rather than recall of policy, the 2% for commie com implies it’s irrelevant in terms of their voting intention, having thought about it a bit more. The campaign isn’t cutting through and changing opinions.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,930
    He doesn't want anyone to go through what anyone has gone through.
    Statesmanlike
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,953

"Maybe today’s focus on LAB’s antisemitism will help Berger. I have a small bet on her doing it."

I disagree. The more people worry about Labour, the more likely they will be to vote Tory, unless the Lib Dems are clear challengers, which they're not here.

I have to say, the threat of Corbyn is a factor in my thinking this election. Despite the fact that Johnson is an untrustworthy buffoon surrounded by the Tory right ministers and dangerous advisors, can I risk a Labour-led government with Corbyn and his shadow cabinet by voting for a non-Con option in a marginal where only Con and Lab can win? I'm not sure I can.

This is why I think the Tories will end up doing very well this time...

(The irony is that I think Jo Swinson and Luciana Berger and Ummama and co would never prop up a Corbyn government. The hatred - both ways - is just too strong.)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited November 2019
    ‘I want to hear why he would say such a thing...’
    FFS Corbyn, my Year 11s come up with better lies about why they haven’t done their homework.
    What a dreadful start.
  • Options

A gentle teabagging?
  • Options

Hand Boris Johnson his testicles and then make Boris Johnson eat them.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Bozo will pull out of the AN interview with a sore throat ! AN is terrifying . I bet politicians will be happy when he retires!
  • Options

RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

Here's hoping.....
    Depends MarqueeMark, have you been naughty or nice this year?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

‘I want to hear why he would say such a thing...’

FFS Corbyn, my Year 11s come up with better lies about why they haven’t done their homework.

That was absolutely dire.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

SunnyJim said:

If the clip on the BBC is as bad as it gets, I don't think that's catastrophic. He stayed very calm and on message.
    'Politician refuses to apologise whilst claiming he's done nothing wrong' shocker!
    Now, if there's more that the BBC are keeping back, that could be a different matter.
    PS I am not voting Labour because of the piss-poor way they have handled anti-semitism in the party.
  • Options

Liberal Party Election Broadcast being shown now on Scottish Television featuring individuals across England. That will go down like a bag of sick across Scotland. Even SLAB managed to have one featuring Richard Leonard. The SCons ones have featured SCon MPs and MSPs.

Interesting what you were saying about Jamie Stone being at risk in CSER due to strength of SCon with unionists. Thinking about it, Caithness looks a lot more like Moray and coastal Aberdeenshire than it does the Highlands, and look at what has happened there. I would still expect Jamie to win, but maybe Brexit will be a killer for him? Shock result - Tories take the seat from third?
    I would love that but more likely his leader's stance on Revoke will cost cousin Jamie his seat to the SNP. Unless the Tories can beat him I hope he can hold on but that is for deeply personal reasons.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Johnson was interviewed by Neil during the Tory leadership
  • Options

Hand Boris Johnson his testicles and then make Boris Johnson eat them.
    While teabagging him? Dextrous.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,940
    rcs1000 said:

"Maybe today’s focus on LAB’s antisemitism will help Berger. I have a small bet on her doing it."

I disagree. The more people worry about Labour, the more likely they will be to vote Tory, unless the Lib Dems are clear challengers, which they're not here.

I have to say, the threat of Corbyn is a factor in my thinking this election. Despite the fact that Johnson is an untrustworthy buffoon surrounded by the Tory right ministers and dangerous advisors, can I risk a Labour-led government with Corbyn and his shadow cabinet by voting for a non-Con option in a marginal where only Con and Lab can win? I'm not sure I can.

(The irony is that I think Jo Swinson and Luciana Berger and Ummama and co would never prop up a Corbyn government. The hatred - both ways - is just too strong.)
    The only way to be 100% sure Corbyn won't be PM on December 13th is for the Conservatives to win a majority.

Every vote for every other party increases the chances of Corbyn becoming PM.

This is the ABC election. Anyone but Corbyn. Unfortunately, that "anyone" has to be Boris.
  • Options
    Oh lor. He’s just cited Chakrabarti....
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    I do like Andrew Neil, and he's miles in front of the competition - but it would be nice if there were some way to put the genie back in the bottle and make these things a little less adversarial - we shouldn't judge journalists by their ability to achieve a gotcha moment. Unfortunately politicians are now so banal when left to speak that this is probably better than the alternative.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Just shows how engaged the population are with specifics of the election. It also must call in to question the representativeness of polls if people really are not interested. You can take two views Tory landslide because ‘boris is cool’ or 55% turnout and who knows how it will fall
    The meme of Johnson's lies is a strong theme, showing through. While Corbyn is feared by some he is thought to be sincere indeed he frightens Tories for precisely that reason!

Sorry @rcs1000, but I have known a few landslide elections in my time, but this one really doesn't feel like it on the ground. I have cashed out my spread bets.
    Oh, I think a Johnson landslide will be a disaster for the country. I don't look forward to it, I just think it's going to happen.
    There’s something Oedipal about your constant talking down of LD prospects!
    I'm not talking them down.

I think they'll, objectively, do pretty well. I don't think they'll get squeezed down to the 10% mark, I think they'll end up almost doubling their vote share and getting about 15%. I also think they'll make a number of gains on the night and end up with roughly the same number of seats they had in the 1983 to 1992 period (i.e 18-23).

To get to that point within five years of being almost completely wiped out is a pretty good performance.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    I agree with @rcs1000. This is big Tory win. I'm sitting on juicy spread profits and I'm not closing a single penny.
  • Options
    Brillo is giving him a right kicking.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    This one might prove interesting …… for all the swirling sewage around Trump, it could be a straightforward mortgage fraud that gets him in the end:

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1199402069461000192
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    When is Neil interviewing Boris? Hopefully after 12 Dec??
  • Options
    So far, Corbyn has kept calm.
    That’s the only positive.
    His performance is waffly and unconvincing. He’s now saying he doesn’t know his own party’s investigative processes.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    rcs1000 said:

A gentle teabagging?
    Enduring image!
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Corbyn is stubborn and should really apologize but for all the joy this interview might be providing for Tory supporters Johnson still has to do this interview .
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,589
    edited November 2019
    ydoethur said:

His performance is waffly and unconvincing. He’s now saying he doesn’t know his own party’s investigative processes.

Brillo has the receipts - specific examples, Corbyn's got nothing.
    This is even worse than I expected.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    I think the ICM is an outlier, but it has shown the direction of travel. We need to be much less complacent in this race. We need to get out there and start asking who is going to pay for all of these policies that Labour are proposing.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

This one might prove interesting …… for all the swirling sewage around Trump, it could be a straightforward mortgage fraud that gets him in the end:

When you're borrowing at that scale I don't think the issuing side take your word for it.
  • Options
    Whoops, now he’s snapping.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Help him look for his spine. Johnson can't afford to bluster, and blag his way through the interview.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    ydoethur said:

He is starting to get angry now.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

When is Neil interviewing Boris? Hopefully after 12 Dec??

Hopefully!
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Corbyn is stubborn and should really apologize but for all the joy this interview might be providing for Tory supporters Johnson still has to do this interview .

And with luck he will be nailed on his own racism.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,393

Ave_it said:

My surprise result is CON gain Hamilton E and Lanark as LAB tactically vote CON to get rid of SNP. Also maybe Perth and Perthshire N. And possibly Argyll & Bute but less LAB to squeeze there.

Possible not Ross Skye etc although we did win there 1979!
    My shock of the night prediction is for the SCons to beat GE2017 in seats.

If they top 16 seats (three net gains) I make a nice sum with Laddys.
    Perthshire, Edinburgh SW and East Lothian. Job done ;)
    Which Perthshire .
    Perth and NP (wishartville)
    Yes. And if they don't do it it won't be through want of trying. I know less about the Crieff side, but I guess they'll be pulling the stops out there too.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

The only way to be 100% sure Corbyn won't be PM on December 13th is for the Conservatives to win a majority.

This is the ABC election. Anyone but Corbyn. Unfortunately, that "anyone" has to be Boris.
    And I think Johnson will be a poor Prime Minister. He will almost certainly face a recession and maybe a financial crisis in the next five years. And I suspect that his bluster and overconfidence and tendency to seek the easy way out will mean that he deals with it poorly. This does not bode well for the long term future of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Help him look for his spine. Johnson can't afford to bluster, and blag his way through the interview.
    Yes, I hope the campaign team have him practicing day and night for this one, it will be brutal if he doesn't have any answers.
  • Options
    Trying to dodge an apology.
    Was the timing of the letter deliberate for blowing up this interview?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    ydoethur said:

Car crash interview with Brillo looks to be incoming:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50564965

Labour falling further into the rabbi hole.
    (Is that better, @Nigelb?)
    All gone a bit Tora! Tora! Tora!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    edited November 2019
    I really don't think many people watch the Andrew Neil interviews so I doubt they make much difference.

The "set piece" debates are more influential though...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes, I hope the campaign team have him practicing day and night for this one, it will be brutal if he doesn't have any answers.
    He doesn’t.
    It will be brutal.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

And I think Johnson will be a poor Prime Minister. He will almost certainly face a recession and maybe a financial crisis in the next five years. And I suspect that his bluster and overconfidence and tendency to seek the easy way out will mean that he deals with it poorly. This does not bode well for the long term future of the Conservative Party.
    But dear God - Corbyn as PM?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Trying to dodge an apology.
    Was the timing of the letter deliberate for blowing up this interview?

Would make sense - he sent the letter as he felt he had a duty to protect his flock, and that means maximising the damage it caused
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    GIN1138 said:

I really don't think many people the Andrew Neil interviews so I doubt they make much difference.

The "set piece" debates are more influential though...

It is in the One Show slot so might get decent-ish ratings.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Nearly a quarter of the interview spent trying to explain he’s not a racist. (Very unconvincingly, I might add.)
    Now he’s on Brexit where he doesn’t have much more clue.
    So far, so dire. He desperately needs it to move onto something like student fees.
  • Options
    He reacts like a teenager when questioned in more depth. Pillock.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Tetchy. Snapping. Not answering questions.

This is a defining moment.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

The issue will be if he used those low valuations for property tax valuations at the same time he used the high number for a mortgage.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Jeremy Corbyn = the White Angel.
  • Options
    Corbyn is an utter disgrace and needs to go.

The country has to see him beaten out of sight on the 12th December

Has there ever been a more disgraceful leader of the opposition
  • Options

Tetchy. Snapping. Not answering questions.

This is a defining moment.

He’s really not doing well. The impatient sigh with closed eyes suggests he is about to explode.
  • Options

Dunno what the ones at your school are like, but mine are all a hell of a lot more convincing than this when you put them on the spot.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    MaxPB said:

I think the ICM is an outlier, but it has shown the direction of travel. We need to be much less complacent in this race. We need to get out there and start asking who is going to pay for all of these policies that Labour are proposing.

There's a direction of travel for Labour, but the Tories are holding steady at 43% in the averages.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Come on Andrew whack him with some WASPI facts.
  • Options
    Marriage allowance klaxon!
  • Options
    This is the equivalent of a D grade essay. Waffly generalities and only a vague link to the question. Being caught out on tax now.
  • Options
    Now being skewered on his tax lies
  • Options
    "I would question that figure...."
  • Options

"I would question that figure...."

Why? Because it was in their grey book? :D
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This is the equivalent of a D grade essay. Waffly generalities and only a vague link to the question. Being caught out on tax now.

Isn’t that an improvement on what he got in his A-levels?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,433

Ave_it said:

My surprise result is CON gain Hamilton E and Lanark as LAB tactically vote CON to get rid of SNP. Also maybe Perth and Perthshire N. And possibly Argyll & Bute but less LAB to squeeze there.

Possible not Ross Skye etc although we did win there 1979!
    My shock of the night prediction is for the SCons to beat GE2017 in seats.

If they top 16 seats (three net gains) I make a nice sum with Laddys.
    Perthshire, Edinburgh SW and East Lothian. Job done ;)
    Which Perthshire .
    Perth and NP (wishartville)
    Yes. And if they don't do it it won't be through want of trying. I know less about the Crieff side, but I guess they'll be pulling the stops out there too.
    My take is that SCon will struggle more in seats which still have a substantial SLAB vote as the latter will break SNP. I think Ruth probably maxed out SLAB-SCon transfers last time. Best Tory prospects are indeed Perth & NP but also, I think, Argyll & Bute. The biggest town in the latter is Helensburgh which is dependent of Faslane for vast numbers of jobs. Sturgeon's demand that Corbyn scrap Trident in return for No10 will surely shift votes there.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Dunno what the ones at your school are like, but mine are all a hell of a lot more convincing than this when you put them on the spot.
    In terms of maturity under pressure, he's very Year 9.
  • Options
    Seeing as Swinson dodged this and sent Ed Davey along, I hope Saj doesn't have any plans tomorrow
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

There's a direction of travel for Labour, but the Tories are holding steady at 43% in the averages.
    Labour sub 200 seats 24% that’s all they deserve, Johnson deserves nothing better.
  • Options

Now he’s saying it’s fine lower earners will be paying more tax, because it will improve public services. That is one hell of an admission - effectively admitting his manifesto is based on lie. It could be very damaging.
  • Options
    He does not know how much the rich pay in tax

He is clueless and very dangerous
  • Options
    We need to get this all over social media. Now.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Isn’t that an improvement on what he got in his A-levels?
    He’s had 53 years to improve and some intensive one-to-one.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Now he’s saying it’s fine lower earners will be paying more tax, because it will improve public services. That is one hell of an admission - effectively admitting his manifesto is based on lie. It could be very damaging.
    I pointed this out it in the QT debate. It was going to get him a kicking for lying.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Exactly, he's literally just smashed to pieces the argument that only the rich will fund the spending rises.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Neil blew apart Labour's Brexit policy, there's no one high profile to lead the campaign for Corbyn's deal, so it won't have any credibility at all.
  • Options
    What are the Labour bots, oops, supporters saying on Twitter, do we know?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If you want to use the royal ‘we’ then use it on a partisan web site or make it plain whom-we are
  • Options
    nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

If you want to use the royal ‘we’ then use it on a partisan web site or make it plain whom-we are
    MaxPB is a PB Tory. :p
  • Options
    It seems such an obvious error the marriage tax allowance thing. I guess the manifesto has many authors and no one spotted that the social virtue signalling thoroughly screws them on tax.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    New poll: Labour up 3, Tory lead down to 8, with Ashcroft, though the methodology is unusual: he downweights everyone by their lack of certainty to vote, so the total are less than 100: Con 36, Lab 28, LD 15, BXP 9 (asked only in seats where they're standing). Lots and lots of other data too, including the important one that 51% of LDs now say they'll vote Labour if Lab has a better chance (and 69% vice versa) - these figures are well up on previous polls. Survey done Nov 21-25.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/11/would-you-vote-tactically-what-worries-you-most-about-a-tory-or-labour-government-what-would-actually-happen-under-johnson-or-corbyn-week-3-of-my-general-election-dashboard/

• Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    Jeremy Corbyn seriously doesn't understand that Government Bonds are actually debt!!

My god. Get rid of him and JMD now....
  • Options
    nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

We = all right thinking people.....
  • Options
    nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

Party member.
  • Options
    What a contrast, calm, polite Corbyn and frantic, bulbous Neil.

I get the feeling that Neil has an inflated opinion of his own skills as an interviewer, almost a bullying style. He doesn't seem to be denting Corbyn at the moment.
  • Options

I get the feeling that Neil has an inflated opinion of his own skills as an interviewer, almost a bullying style. He doesn't seem to be denting Corbyn at the moment.

Are you watching BBC1?
  • Options

You must be joking. He has taken Corbyn apart
  • Options

Corbyn isn't calm. He is barely containing his petulance
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Now trying to dodge the question of paying for WASPI.
    But interestingly Neil says he accepts the WASPI women have been unjustly treated.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

I'm a moderate who might be CON! :lol:

• Options
    Ave_it said:

nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

I'm a moderate who might be CON! :lol:

:o
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    “It has to be paid for” is arguably his worst line of the night. Sounded awful, completely economically illiterate.
  • Options

OK, question answered.
  • Options
    Eye rolling klaxon!
  • Options
    Brom said:

“It has to be paid for” is arguably his worst line of the night. Sounded awful, completely economically illiterate.

And it doesn't have to be paid for. The high court ruled against them.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Serious? Or posted for comedy value.
    Either way you don't appear to have had the line to take memo.
This discussion has been closed.