Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson is surely relatively safe in his Uxbridge & Ruislip co

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson is surely relatively safe in his Uxbridge & Ruislip constituency

!function(){"use strict";window.addEventListener("message",function(a){if(void 0!==a.data["datawrapper-height"])for(var e in a.data["datawrapper-height"]){var t=document.getElementById("datawrapper-chart-"+e)||document.querySelector("iframe[src*='"+e+"']");t&&(t.style.height=a.data["datawrapper-height"][e]+"px")}})}();

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    First!
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    I live in the neighbouring constituency.

Uxbridge is not designer metro liberal right-on territory. Strong element of white working and middle class.

BORIS is safe. CON did very well in recent Hillingdon Borough elections.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Plus, the Labour candidate is a complete arse.
  • Options

Doesn't always stop these things happening....
  • Options
    Ave_it - when did you come back?

I know there are quite a lot of fans of the Crown on here. Just wondering from the bits I've seen - there doesn't seem much focus on the Queen Mother. Strange since we're always told how important she was.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    Newsnight doing a long report from Leeds North West which happens to be the seat which is predicted to have the biggest swing from Con to Lab according to the YouGov MRP.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yw6ebmYBDx1fVI1DAbfSXXUyK7BLNMUGBwoTbqzSOhg/edit#gid=0
  • Options

Tories = Liverpool
    SNP = Leicester
    Labour = Everton
    Lib Dems = Altrincham Stanley

Accrington Stanley :lol:
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting that Ivan Lewis in Bury South has endorsed the Conservatives despite being on the ballot paper as an independent.

Happened in the future NI at the 1918 Election - there were a couple of seats where SF and the Irish Party endorsed one another despite both being on the ballot. But in Down East the pact broke down and the Unionists won on a split Nationalist vote.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Safe as houses. Lot of brexit there.
    Next! How’s Mogg doing?
    I sense MarkyMark is absolutely right, Tories have south west sown up no Lib Dem revival. No Wells. No Yeovil.. no Taunton. In fact in that part of the world labour are staying labour and not helping Lib Dem’s, so the labour shares will be high as 2017 not tactical.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Seems reminiscent of the failed Lib Dem "Decapitation Strategy" against Michael Howard in 2005. Voters like being represented by party leaders, plus they attract extra protest candidates which merely fragment the opposition further. I would be very surprised if Boris doesn't increase his majority.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    FPT:

The longer this campaign has gone on, the less inclined I am to vote for any of the three main parties:-

1. Corbyn: no. Lots of reasons - mainly dragging his party into a Far Leftist illiberal anti-Semitic gutter. And the WASPI bribe has really annoyed me.
    2. Boris: no. A total charlatan. Has made a Faustian pact with the Hard Brexiteers for the sake of his ambition thereby trashing the main things which made traditional Conservatism worthwhile.
    3. Swinson: strategically inept and talking dangerous rubbish over the Gender Recognition Act. Apparently expecting people with gender dysphoria to undergo medical tests is too too ghastly to contemplate but women are expected to put up with having men invade their private spaces and the risk of some of them abusing that. In Lib Dem La-La-land, rape is not as ghastly as being asked questions by a doctor.

In my constituency that leaves the Brexit Party (as if!) or the Greens.

Or the Meeks option - abstaining in person.

What a choice.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Newsnight doing a long report from Leeds North West which happens to be the seat which is predicted to have the biggest swing from Con to Lab according to the YouGov MRP.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yw6ebmYBDx1fVI1DAbfSXXUyK7BLNMUGBwoTbqzSOhg/edit#gid=0

Why?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    Ave_it said:

Uxbridge is not designer metro liberal right-on territory. Strong element of white working and middle class.

Lots of students though in term time...
  • Options
    dodrade said:

Seems reminiscent of the failed Lib Dem "Decapitation Strategy" against Michael Howard in 2005. Voters like being represented by party leaders, plus they attract extra protest candidates which merely fragment the opposition further. I would be very surprised if Boris doesn't increase his majority.

I suspect we'll see quite a few eccentric looking people on the stage come the declaration.

Case of spot the PM.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Think Boris will win by 10% or so, which is still cutting it fine for a Prime Minister.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Tell that to Nick Clegg.
    Yeah, but Nick Clegg was born with a birthmark on his arse that reads "KICK ME"......
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Cyclefree said:

The longer this campaign has gone on, the less inclined I am to vote for any of the three main parties:-

1. Corbyn: no. Lots of reasons - mainly dragging his party into a Far Leftist illiberal anti-Semitic gutter. And the WASPI bribe has really annoyed me.
    2. Boris: no. A total charlatan. Has made a Faustian pact with the Hard Brexiteers for the sake of his ambition thereby trashing the main things which made traditional Conservatism worthwhile.
    3. Swinson: strategically inept and talking dangerous rubbish over the Gender Recognition Act. Apparently expecting people with gender dysphoria to undergo medical tests is too too ghastly to contemplate but women are expected to put up with having men invade their private spaces and the risk of some of them abusing that. In Lib Dem La-La-land, rape is not as ghastly as being asked questions by a doctor.

What a choice.

The WASPI bribe, for me, is the worst policy of the campaign, for all every party bar the Tories (including BXP and UKIP) have said they would do 'something' about the issue. It's aggravated me like no other in its shamelessness, in the even for politics cynical pandering to a group of rather disgraceful campaigners - however they feel they have been wronged their presentation of the issue is misleading to false, and therefore the mawkish moralising they engage in really pisses me off.
    Andy_JS said:

Cyclefree said:

1. Corbyn: no. Lots ofy as being asked questions by a doctor.

What a choice.

My choice at this election is LD or Con. I live in a very safe seat so it won't make any difference, which in some ways gives you more freedom to choose how to vote. It means you don't have to consider voting tactically to keep out a party you don't like.
    Indeed so. For me it means a likely LD pity vote. Swinson issues aside, and some of their policies, they don't get enough credit for at least some sense.
  • Options

Tories = Liverpool
    SNP = Leicester
    Labour = Everton

Perhaps it was a joke?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Ave_it said:

It was term time in 2017.....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

Did Labour ever get back to you on the abortion wording in their Manifesto?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

So your happy with either Boris or Corbyn as PM then.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    Wonder if we'll see a Cleggasm for JSwinson following her survival of Andrew Neil. Tories could do with the Lib Dems perking up a bit.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Foxy said:

Ave_it said:

BoZo wasn't leader then.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the Tories end up with a bigger majority in Uxbridge than they do in Bozza’s old seat of Henley
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Wonder if Neil Kinnock will appear on election night this year? :D
  • Options

Wonder if we'll see a Cleggasm for JSwinson following her survival of Andrew Neil. Tories could do with the Lib Dems perking up a bit.

Tories could do with Brexit Party crashing some more.

Look at the seats the Tories are projected to just miss - and the 7-8-9% Brexit Party vote in those seats.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Foxy said:

Ave_it said:

Brunel uni is more of a commute to uni then a campus one.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Andy_JS said:

Why?
    Students.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Ave_it said:

BoZo wasn't leader then.
    You think there wasn't enough incentive to boot out the Tory heir-presumptive and architect of Brexit in 2017? It's a view......
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Brom said:

Brom said:

The election of course is not over, easy to forget we had 11 and 12 poll leads (alongside some small ones) this time in 2017, not to mention a second terrorist attack. I personally had a breakthrough moment on Monday evening when I started to feel the public was taking note of the Labour giveaway losing traction and the Tory campaign clicking into gear (after a few poor days in Manifesto week).

I would be hugely surprised if the Tory victory percentage is not bigger than 3% last time out but I also feel a 5 or 6% win is possible, both of which in my mind carry a small chance of a hung parliament. There should be zero room for complacency, thinks can unravel very quickly if focus is lost, but I’m hoping every day the status quo continues the Tories will be at the very least piling up a decent postal vote lead.

There also has to be at least one more attempt at a massive public bribe by Labour.
    Yep there is definitely a bribe in the offing, the Tories will be expecting this and many on here have speculated it will be student loan based. I’d say Labour have a few issues with this:

1. I think they have pushed spending giveaways too far that they have damaged credibility and become detrimental to winning round undecided voters
    2. Students and young graduates are on balance not the votes they need, they have them already and by and large they are outside the 2019 battleground
    3. The votes they do need if anything will be repelled by giveaways to the young middle classes given they are predominently older voters who had no education beyond 18.

I think with Trump buggering off their best chance to make a dent in the Tory lead has disappeared across the Atlantic so I expect Labour to just double down on the NHS for a few more days and hope it’s somehow newsworthy enough to scare Lab to Tory switchers.
    Certainly you have a point here, especially with 1. and 3., but in respect of 2. I'd have thought the purpose of such a giveaway would not be to win over more student and young graduate voters, but to motivate them to turnout while, hopefully, not undermining themselves with 1. and 3. If the young are less enthused by the Great Corbyn, a last minute offer might make the difference in quite a few seats if they can get the young out at least to 2017 levels.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

No.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Tonight is the equivalent night in the campaign - penultimate Wednesday - that Kinnock attended the infamous Sheffield Rally in 1992.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Rally
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

Quite the contrary. I would like them both to lose. And disappear from the political stage, never to be heard of again.

As I have a Labour MP with a very large majority, my vote is largely pointless.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

The election of course is not over, easy to forget we had 11 and 12 poll leads (alongside some small ones) this time in 2017, not to mention a second terrorist attack. I personally had a breakthrough moment on Monday evening when I started to feel the public was taking note of the Labour giveaway losing traction and the Tory campaign clicking into gear (after a few poor days in Manifesto week).

I would be hugely surprised if the Tory victory percentage is not bigger than 3% last time out but I also feel a 5 or 6% win is possible, both of which in my mind carry a small chance of a hung parliament. There should be zero room for complacency, thinks can unravel very quickly if focus is lost, but I’m hoping every day the status quo continues the Tories will be at the very least piling up a decent postal vote lead.

There also has to be at least one more attempt at a massive public bribe by Labour.
    Yep there is definitely a bribe in the offing, the Tories will be expecting this and many on here have speculated it will be student loan based. I’d say Labour have a few issues with this:

1. I think they have pushed spending giveaways too far that they have damaged credibility and become detrimental to winning round undecided voters
    2. Students and young graduates are on balance not the votes they need, they have them already and by and large they are outside the 2019 battleground
    3. The votes they do need if anything will be repelled by giveaways to the young middle classes given they are predominently older voters who had no education beyond 18.

I think with Trump buggering off their best chance to make a dent in the Tory lead has disappeared across the Atlantic so I expect Labour to just double down on the NHS for a few more days and hope it’s somehow newsworthy enough to scare Lab to Tory switchers.
    Certainly you have a point here, especially with 1. and 3., but in respect of 2. I'd have thought the purpose of such a giveaway would not be to win over more student and young graduate voters, but to motivate them to turnout while, hopefully, not undermining themselves with 1. and 3. If the young are less enthused by the Great Corbyn, a last minute offer might make the difference in quite a few seats if they can get the young out at least to 2017 levels.
    Labour might go big on social care. Huge push in next few days on their plans for a social care service and close integration with NHS.

Bribe wise, how about an extra week's paid holiday a year guaranteed by law?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Well, she was a prosecutor.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Labour might go big on social care. Huge push in next few days on their plans for a social care service and close integration with NHS.

They're already promising 4 new bank holidays, so it'd be on barnd. That was a carryover from the 2017 manifesto, so they must think it a real winner.
  • Options
    I believe if the boundary changes go ahead then Boris’s seat will become a bit more Labour friendly so there’s the incentive to leave that on the back burner. Though perhaps he fancies just 5 years as PM and can leave that to his Uxbridge replacement to worry about.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Well, she was a prosecutor.
    I know. Part of what damaged her campaign was people calling her a cop online.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

Quite the contrary. I would like them both to lose. And disappear from the political stage, never to be heard of again.

If you don’t vote, you can’t complain.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

No.
    Troubling.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

Dad? Dad, is that you?????
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

A lot of fingers need to be pointed at the Labour and Conservative parties who have provided us with perhaps the two most pathetically useless prime ministerial candidates there have been in a modern election.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

My money is on oh yes she can! Just wait for the thread headers....

Draw a cock and balls against the Brexit Party candidate. Really lavish some attention on it.

"I'm protesting against my protest vote..."
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Andy_JS said:

Why?
    It has the perfect mix for Labour: students, young people, EMs, graduates, public sector workers, etc. Also, the LD MP from 2005 to 2017 Greg Mulholland isn't standing this time, so his personal vote will disappear.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I'm confused, do you believe that trans women are women, and trans men are men, or not?
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    GIN1138 said:

Depends if someone turns his lightbulb on.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

A lot of fingers need to be pointed at the Labour and Conservative parties who have provided us with perhaps the two most pathetically useless prime ministerial candidates there have been in a modern election.
    Vote for someone else.

The problem with abstaining is that someone will still be elected. There will be a government. None of the above is not an outcome. Abstention is acceptance.

Pick the least worst.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Tell that to Nick Clegg.
    Yeah, but Nick Clegg was born with a birthmark on his arse that reads "KICK ME"......
    Nick Clegg's fatal mistake was trusting the Tories, I doubt the Lib Dems will ever make that mistake again (likewise the DUP).
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

Dad? Dad, is that you?????
    Go to bed, it’s past your bedtime.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Lucy4BurySouth/status/1202322226378428418

Then elect a leader who can win and you can deal with these pressing issues.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

When the only choice our rotten system gives us Corbyn or Johnson not voting seems the emminently most sensible thing to do. I certainly won't be troubling the polling office staff next week but it won't stop me criticising the next government.

Perhaps I won't need to, what could possibly go wrong with Bozo as PM, Patel as Home Sec and Raab as Foreign Sec?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Cyclefree said:

I'm confused, do you believe that trans women are women, and trans men are men, or not?
    A good question for Sarah Wollaston tonight on Newsnight
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

When the only choice our rotten system gives us Corbyn or Johnson not voting seems the emminently most sensible thing to do. I certainly won't be troubling the polling office staff next week but it won't stop me criticising the next government.

Perhaps I not need to, what could possibly go wrong with Bozo as PM, Patelas Home Sec and Raab as Foreign Sec?
    So when Boris screws it up, you’ll look back with pride at doing nothing to stop it when you had the chance?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Look at the share, not the lead:

- Nine polls fieldwork ending 25-29 Nov: Lab was at 34% in four of these nine polls

- Six polls fieldwork ending after 29 Nov: Lab only at 34% (*) in one of these six polls

(*) Actually got 35%, but below 34% in all others

Far too early to be confident of anything - but it's a sign Lab has at least flatlined and may have just started to turn down.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jonathan said:

OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

Perhaps I not need to, what could possibly go wrong with Bozo as PM, Patelas Home Sec and Raab as Foreign Sec?
    So when Boris screws it up, you’ll look back with pride at doing nothing to stop it when you had the chance?
    What choice do we have?

The other choice is Corbyn

If only people had not enabled him in 2017
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Con Most Seats has gone 1.04 today for the first time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

People are not stupid.

Well, not enough of them to suit labour anyway.

There will be costs for employers and that means less jobs
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited December 2019
    OllyT said:

Tell that to Nick Clegg.
    Nick Clegg's fatal mistake was trusting the Tories, I doubt the Lib Dems will ever make that mistake again (likewise the DUP).
    The voters fatal mistake was trusting Nick Clegg,particularly the young voters that believed his lies about scrapping tuition fees.

Remember every single Lib Dem MP made a personal pledge with all the razzmatazz that went with it, Clegg go into coalition where he could deliver his promise & then tripled fees.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

What choice do we have?

You can vote against both, it is possible. To abstain is to accept.

Depressing turnout of the anti Tory vote is a clear, obvious goal of the Conservative campaign. Why reward them and do what they want you to do?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

No.
    I had hoped the reports were not true.

Surely they would have been happy to clear that up if those reports were wrong
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    MikeL said:

Con Most Seats has gone 1.04 today for the first time.

I mean, that is just free money. 4% return in 7 days. I can't even begin to imagine the size of the polling error or intervening event which would be needed for that not to happen. Literally a polling error of 7-8% (i.e. Tories 7.5% too high AND Labour 7.5% too low) might be needed.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

What choice do we have?

Whenever moaning centrist sorts whip out that ‘chaos with Ed Miliband’ tweet, I’m keen to remind them that the idiot Miliband managed to change the Labour leadership rules allowing for entryism and Corbynism. Oh and Sadiq Khan endorsing Corbyn for leader and buggering off didn’t help. Ultimately Ed Miliband lost an unlosable election with just 30% of the vote and then screwed up Labour by opening the door to Momentum to potentially lose 2 further elections. Miliband is more than anyone to blame for the public reluctantly voting Tory time and time again.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    MikeL said:

- Nine polls fieldwork ending 25-29 Nov: Lab was at 34% in four of these nine polls

- Six polls fieldwork ending after 29 Nov: Lab only at 34% (*) in one of these six polls

Far too early to be confident of anything - but it's a sign Lab has at least flatlined and may have just started to turn down.

Definitely flatlining - https://imgur.com/NZlI7mR

https://i.imgur.com/VRmgDj7.gif
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

What choice do we have?

Depressing turnout of the anti Tory vote is a clear, obvious goal of the Conservative campaign. Why reward them and do what they want you to do?
    Because letting Corbyn and his vile followers anywhere near power makes my skin crawl
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

As yet undecided.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

From your perspective, perhaps voting Green makes sense? You'll slightly depress the vote share of the other parties that you dislike, and although Green policies are pretty OTT, you may feel that they're OTT in the right general direction, and pro-Remain as well?

Personally I think you're mistaken in letting the party leaders determine your choice. We don't have a presidential system, and while Boris's purge may have neutered his backbenchers, none of the leaders can totally rely on their parties.
  • Options
    Oi, where's all the multiple grey shades lines of text gone? Missing it already.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited December 2019
    Comres tonight projects the biggest Tory majority since 1987 and the lowest number of Labour MPs since 1935 prompting for the actual candidates in each seat https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1202333974686785545?s=20
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

I would take no pride in having any part in electing a Corbyn or a Bozo government.

A big loss is the only hope of the Labour Party coming to its senses.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Brom said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

What choice do we have?

Whenever moaning centrist sorts whip out that ‘chaos with Ed Miliband’ tweet, I’m keen to remind them that the idiot Miliband managed to change the Labour leadership rules allowing for entryism and Corbynism. Oh and Sadiq Khan endorsing Corbyn for leader and buggering off didn’t help. Ultimately Ed Miliband lost an unlosable election with just 30% of the vote and then screwed up Labour by opening the door to Momentum to potentially lose 2 further elections. Miliband is more than anyone to blame for the public reluctantly voting Tory time and time again.
    Spot on,it was Miliband that moved the goalposts with his £ 3 vote for all Labour supporters!
  • Options

OllyT said:

Tell that to Nick Clegg.
    The voters fatal mistake was trusting Nick Clegg,particularly the young voters that believed his lies about scrapping tuition fees.

Remember every single Lib Dem MP made a personal pledge with all the razzmatazz that went with it, Clegg go into coalition where he could deliver his promise & then tripled fees.

One pledge on tuition fees pales into insignificance compared to the lies that Johnson comes out with on a weekly basis. Without entirely excusing what they did, the Lib Dems were a very junior party in the coalition and were in no position to honour their manifesto pledges.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

Vote for someone else.

The problem with abstaining is that someone will still be elected. There will be a government. None of the above is not an outcome. Abstention is acceptance.

Pick the least worst.
    And if they're really that bad stand for election yourself next time.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Deleted
  • Options

Tories = Liverpool
    SNP = Leicester
    Labour = Everton

Oops! Typo 😊
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Tell that to Nick Clegg.

One pledge on tuition fees pales into insignificance compared to the lies that Johnson comes out with on a weekly basis. Without entirely excusing what they did, the Lib Dems were a very junior party in the coalition and were in no position to honour their manifesto pledges.
    There's a big, big difference between the party's manifesto commitment, and the individual PPCs' personal pledges to their electorates.

Breaking the first was inevitable, for the reason you state. Breaking the second was very bad manners. Doing so to chase the dream of electoral reform - a dream they didn't even bother to put in their manifesto - was unforgivable.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2019

Tories = Liverpool
    SNP = Leicester
    Labour = Everton

Perhaps it was a joke?
    The "who are they" reference was the joke . . .

Getting the name wrong was unintentional, wish I could go with that being ironic lol . . .
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Comres tonight projects the biggest Tory majority since 1987 and the lowest number of Labour MPs since 1935 prompting for the actual candidates in each seat https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1202333974686785545?s=20

LibDems winning North Norfolk by 18 points. Hmmmmmm..... Winning St. Albans by 1%. Some weird shit they have going with the LibDems.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

Vote for someone else.

Pick the least worst.
    That might make sense if we had a fair electoral system. As it is unless you live in a marginal you may as well stay at home for all the good your vote will do.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Remember my Cameremain Vs Premain question? The Indy's chief Pol correspondent John Rentoul has promised me on twitter that he'll ask it to the remain panel at the Hezza remain rally in Westminster on Friday. If he does then I'll buy the Indy for a year.

This is as famous as I've ever been.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

Vote for someone else.

Pick the least worst.
    That might make sense if we had a fair electoral system. As it is unless you live in a marginal you may as well stay at home for all the good your vote will do.
    If the options are so bad that you can't vote for anyone then you have to hope that enough of your fellow citizens think the same that you might make a difference by standing. And, if they don't think the same then standing for election is possibly even more important, because how else will minds be changed except if they are challenged?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Tell that to Nick Clegg.
    Is that multimillionaire Nick Clegg who is now in Silicon Valley getting paid an absolute fortune after years of being in "the quad" running government with the perks accompanying it? Yeah I'm sure he's so upset at his mistake . . .

The Simpsons managed to ask Nick Clegg how he can sleep at night:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0JaecRWy0
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

Floater said:

Jonathan said:

OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

Jonathan said:

Cyclefree said:

FPT:

What a choice.

What choice do we have?

Because letting Corbyn and his vile followers anywhere near power makes my skin crawl
    Corbyn makes Michael Foot look like a moderate, hence, the anti Tory vote is now the anti Corbyn vote.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Tell that to Nick Clegg.

That's not an excuse the Lib Dems were always going to be a very junior party in any coalition. They were in a position to honour some manifesto pledges via the negotiations for the Coalition Agreement - they prioritised an AV referendum over Tuition Fees. Good job guys!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

Tell that to Nick Clegg.

No it does not, the pledge was made specifically to young people,many were first time voters & trusted Clegg.

Absolute nonsense about not being able to honour the pledge, the Lib Dems could easily have made it one of their red lines.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Indeed. Another way of looking at it: in the latest 5 polls, the average Labour share is 32.8%. In the previous 5 polls to that, the average Labour share was also 32.8%. In the previous 5 polls to that, the average Labour share was 33.2%.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

HYUFD said:

LibDems winning North Norfolk by 18 points. Hmmmmmm..... Winning St. Albans by 1%. Some weird shit they have going with the LibDems.
    My model has them winning Bath, Bermondsey and Orkney and err that's it. The leave/remain split obviously isn't in my model
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Bad result for the Tories in Scotland, only holding 4. But several are lost by 1%. Maybe they is, maybe they ain't....
  • Options
    This will be the fourteenth general election where I have never voted for a winning candidate. Have never voted Tory and have lived in four different safe Tory constutuencies, although one changed to Labour after I left due to a boudary review. I have already voted (pv) this time for the Lib Dems in the sure knowledge that she won't win, I will continue to vote but I really would welcome PR so someone for whom I vote mught be elected. I have voted for winners (unsurprisingly) for the EU Parliament and local councillors. I do believe it is our duty to vote but I have never really felt my vote would make a difference. Must be nice to be in a marginal where you must feel your vote counts more.
  • Options
    Every vote counts. Every election every seat start with zero votes cast and every seat can change hands. Former safe seats can be overturned or become marginals if that is what the local voters want.

If you want to elect a Lib Dem MP you don't need to change the electoral system. You just need more of your neighbours in your constituency to also vote Lib Dem than Tory or anyone else.

The first step to changing anything is to realise your own problems. The problem is not the electoral system the problem is people don't want to vote for your party.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    madmacs said:

This will be the fourteenth general election where I have never voted for a winning candidate. Have never voted Tory and have lived in four different safe Tory constutuencies, although one changed to Labour after I left due to a boudary review. I have already voted (pv) this time for the Lib Dems in the sure knowledge that she won't win, I will continue to vote but I really would welcome PR so someone for whom I vote mught be elected. I have voted for winners (unsurprisingly) for the EU Parliament and local councillors. I do believe it is our duty to vote but I have never really felt my vote would make a difference. Must be nice to be in a marginal where you must feel your vote counts more.

If you vote for someone who didn't win, you at least made the seat more marginal, which at some level probably is helpful. If in doubt, vote against the incumbent.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

madmacs said:

If you vote for someone who didn't win, you at least made the seat more marginal, which at some level probably is helpful. If in doubt, vote against the incumbent.
    If in doubt vote for who you believe in best.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    madmacs said:

I've only voted for a winning candidate once, and that was my first general election vote when I was still at school.
  • Options
    StevenWhaleyStevenWhaley Posts: 54
    edited December 2019
    HYUFD said:

If Labour end up with 190 seats I'll be slightly annoyed... my most profitable outcome will be if they're in the 180-189 bracket... ;) I've bet on the Conservatives to be in the 360-369 bracket though so that's OK.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

madmacs said:

Think one of my seats once got within 5000 so almost a marginal but normally 10000+ to the Tories. I suppose Esher has never been a marginal before or Bolsover but looks like both are this time.

This discussion has been closed.