Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Let’s talk about Islamophobia

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Let’s talk about Islamophobia

Vladimir Bukovsky died recently, in the country he called home after his 1976 expulsion from Russia. He was one of the last Russian dissidents from a time when concerns about Russia related not to its interference in Western elections or its financial links with Western leaders but about the spread of its Communist ideology, its brutal control of Eastern Europe, its appalling treatment of those who protested (incarceration as “insane” in psychiatric jails) or those who wanted to leave (Russian Jews – Anatoly Sharansky, for instance). All a very long time ago now, from a period when the Berlin Wall was standing, a structure exemplifying the brutal reality that Communist states were prisons: to try and escape meant death. It is history now, unimaginable to the generations since, even if there are some, even in the West, who still mourn its passing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    I think perhaps the US leader is not even challenging China for economic gain.
  • Options
    Anymore polls this evening?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Seen but not third.
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited December 2019
    The Leeds hospital Labour lies unravel in record time,thought it would at least take until the morning.
  • Options
    Great thread, and there is no easy answer, maybe there is no satisfactory answer at all. Our shame is we are not even asking the question.
  • Options
    Islamophobia: Channel 4's amazing expose of Hartlepool Brexit Party tonight.

Brexiteers racist. Shocked I Am...
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Silver Srfr

@SrfrSilver
    15m15 minutes ago
    Replying to @RemainerTony @PippaCrerar @bbclaurak
    Talking about misleading people
    1 reply1 retweet0 likes
    Reply 1
    Retweet 1
    More

The lies unraveled in record time.

Whose lies?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    There was a horrific story in the ST about our government’s attempts to hush up murders by Putin’s henchmen on our soil. This pathetic weakness is of a piece with our cowardice about China. The west is weak and getting weaker. With China I fear it is too late.
  • Options
    Where is PB's "Noo"?

I mentioned the Uighurs several times when he/she used to say "Good morning, Islamophobes".
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    I think the sad truth is that even if the West were not led by crooks and clowns there is very little that can be done to help the Uighers. China is a net exporter of major materials and resources, and while it is a major importer of food it could be self-sufficient in it if it had to be. So sanctions are most unlikely to have a significant effect. Military action is out of the question and even if the PLA were not as powerful as it is, the remote location of Xinjiang would make any attempt to help by force extremely difficult. Sanctions on Chinese leaders are unlikely to bother them overmuch given where they keep their money and how they spend it, and diplomatic pressure for all these reasons will simply be ignored, as it has been for forty years over Tibet.

Any approach not taking one of those options would be so slow as to be meaningless.

If anyone who is more expert in these matters than me can show me where my logic fails, I am listening. But the alarming conclusion is that China is in a sufficiently secure position now that it can act with more or less total impunity.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Silver Srfr

@SrfrSilver
    15m15 minutes ago
    1 reply1 retweet0 likes
    Reply 1
    Retweet 1
    More

The hospital has had all day to salvage its reputation. Surely if that tweet was correct they would have said so and given an account of what really happened .
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Thank you for this. Of the questions you rightly ask the most pressing is: Where is the Islamic world on this issue? If Islamic countries possessing great resources, controlling much oil supply and having a moral responsibility within its own religious community can't or won't use all its substantial powers over this issue it is hardly likely that the west will make it a priority. If the lead is not to come from Egypt, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Turkey it is hardly going to come from a fragmented west is it?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Is it Islamophobia though? Isn't it just the State using extreme measures because it can - the same State that is erasing Tibet and subsuming its separateness into a monolithic China?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Angela Rayner takes no prisoners!

I shall up my stakes for leader...
  • Options
    This #bbcqt gives the lie to the notion that Angela Rayner is a serious leadership candidate.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    nico67 said:

Silver Srfr

@SrfrSilver
    15m15 minutes ago
    1 reply1 retweet0 likes
    Reply 1
    Retweet 1
    More

The hospital has had all day to salvage its reputation. Surely if that tweet was correct they would have said so and given an account of what really happened .
    Amazing how credulous pb tories can be when it suits them
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    nico67 said:

Silver Srfr

@SrfrSilver
    15m15 minutes ago
    1 reply1 retweet0 likes
    Reply 1
    Retweet 1
    More

I am not touching a twitter account with 70 followers with a barge-pole for any kind of info.
  • Options

Proud of punching rival football fans FROM BEHIND. A real hard man.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There was a horrific story in the ST about our government’s attempts to hush up murders by Putin’s henchmen on our soil. This pathetic weakness is of a piece with our cowardice about China. The west is weak and getting weaker. With China I fear it is too late.

It’s my biggest fear.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    mwadams said:

Quite. So far, the most significant effect of Trump’s actions has been to greatly accelerate the speed at which China is developing domestic alternatives to the technology sectors in which it still relies on the West.
  • Options

Proud of punching rival football fans FROM BEHIND. A real hard man.
    Must be a graduate of the Tommy Robinson school of Football thuggery.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Silver Srfr

@SrfrSilver
    15m15 minutes ago
    1 reply1 retweet0 likes
    Reply 1
    Retweet 1
    More

I am not touching a twitter account with 70 followers with a barge-pole for any kind of info.
    It will only go anywhere if the media want it too
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    HaroldO said:
    I can't believe that. Bristol is West Country Islington.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

This #bbcqt gives the lie to the notion that Angela Rayner is a serious leadership candidate.

I gave up the so called moderator seemed determined to shoot them all down with her views and allowed panelists to make claims against others without them getting a right of reply.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

The Leeds hospital Labour lies unravel in record time,thought it would at least take until the morning.

To borrow Malc's analysis. Cuckoo.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited December 2019
    Cities of London & Westminster Constituency Voting Intention:

CON: 44% (+5)
    LDM: 28% (-5)
    LAB: 26% (=)
    GRN: 1% (=)

Via @DeltapollUK, 3-8 Dec.
    Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Finchley & Golders Green Constituency Voting Intention:

CON: 46% (=)
    LDM: 34% (+2)
    LAB 19% (=)

Via @DeltapollUK, 3-6 Dec.
    Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Kensington Constituency Voting Intention:

CON: 39% (+3)
    LAB: 29% (+2)
    LDM: 27% (-6)
    GRN: 2% (=)
    BXP: 2% (New)

Via @DeltapollUK, 4-8 Dec.
    Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

Conservative remainers drifting back over fear of Corbyn ?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

nico67 said:

Silver Srfr

@SrfrSilver
    15m15 minutes ago
    1 reply1 retweet0 likes
    Reply 1
    Retweet 1
    More

And if it stands up to the bare minimum of verification
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Bloody hell
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I gave up the so called moderator seemed determined to shoot them all down with her views and allowed panelists to make claims against others without them getting a right of reply.
    No wonder people are disengaging, this has been little more than a shouting match.
  • Options

On the contrary...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

Is it Islamophobia though? Isn't it just the State using extreme measures because it can - the same State that is erasing Tibet and subsuming its separateness into a monolithic China?

As best I can tell China wants to erase any trace of Muslimness from the Uighurs. It seems to be equating Islam with extremism, at least judging by its public statements. That seems pretty Islamophobic to me.

But yes you are right that China is both able and willing to use very extreme measures to eliminate any sort of opposition.

At some point I think that sort of ruthless power will be used outside China.

• Options

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Uber for Chuka...?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Of course the west is getting weaker, part of that is natural but part of it is accelerated through Brexit and Trump. Putin cant have imagined his strategy of sowing division in the west would have been anywhere near as successful as it has been.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

nico67 said:

Silver Srfr

@SrfrSilver
    15m15 minutes ago
    1 reply1 retweet0 likes
    Reply 1
    Retweet 1
    More

I honestly think if it was all a lie, the hospital would have said something by now. They look just as bad as the government in all of this.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Silver Srfr

@SrfrSilver
    15m15 minutes ago
    1 reply1 retweet0 likes
    Reply 1
    Retweet 1
    More

Absolutely
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Uber for Chuka...?
    An Uber....Chuka doesn't travel in Ubers...far too common. You don't know what some oik has left on the seats and might ruin one of his fancy suits.
  • Options
    Excellent article, Cyclefree.

On topic, the West as a whole should increasingly coordinate its foreign and security policy multilaterally amongst like-minded countries, and in the first instance use that to keep China (and others like it) out of South American and Africa. It should also start to form closer bonds with India, which has its own challenges but is at least sympathetic to democratic values.

The West is still a powerful force if properly led and coordinated with hard and soft power. But not even the US is powerful enough anymore to contain China on its own.
  • Options

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

LAB 19% (=)

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Excellent. Fuck phonegate!
  • Options

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

LAB 19% (=)

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Yep. Terror of Corbyn will keep both those seats in the blue camp.

The ST business section this weekend was instructive in that.
  • Options

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Uber for Chuka...?
    An Uber....Chuka doesn't travel in Ubers...far too common. You don't know what some oik has left on the seats and might ruin one of his fancy suits.
    Lord Umunna. In a couple of months
  • Options
    That Cities poll is much like the Yougov MRP only with an improvement for the Tories. Hopefully more of the same tomorrow.

Though obviously the Tories will lose 20% off their total because of an incident in a hospital :smiley:
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    edited December 2019
    Great header again Cyclefree, thanks.

China seems to be on a long upwards trajectory in terms of world power. Sadly the precedents for getting powers that are on the rise to treat minorites fairly are very poor.

The Spanish in South America, Britain and its empire, the USA and Native Americans are just a few of the terrible examples that spring to mind.

The West should not turn a blind eye though.
  • Options

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Uber for Chuka...?
    of Swindon.
  • Options
    Brom said:

That Cities poll is much like the Yougov MRP only with an improvement for the Tories. Hopefully more of the same tomorrow.

Though obviously the Tories will lose 20% off their total because of an incident in a hospital :smiley:

Eh? Everybody knows that seeing the prime minister put a phone in his pocket and then take it out again and look at it immediately turns you into a communist...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Nigelb said:

mwadams said:

Quite. So far, the most significant effect of Trump’s actions has been to greatly accelerate the speed at which China is developing domestic alternatives to the technology sectors in which it still relies on the West.
    Now I hate Trump a lot more than most people, but I'm not sure he has had such a large effect in that regard as people say he has, because China has been pursuing technological independence and native production for a long time. What we are seeing is that the capital and other resource investment over the last couple of decades in sectors like semiconductors, telecoms, aviation, and military equipment is now bearing fruit. What Trump unquestionably has done though, is to confirm in Chinese minds the necessity of such policy goals.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    If Labour voters aren't willing to tactically vote for the Lib Dems to stop the Tories in London, that's up to them I guess.
  • Options

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.
  • Options

Great header again Cyclefree, thanks.

China seems to be on a long upwards trajectory in terms of world power. Sadly the precedents for getting powers that are on the rise to treat minorites fairly are very poor. The Spanish in South America, Britain and its empire, the USA and Native Americans are just a few of the terrible exapmles that spring to mind.

The West should not turn a blind eye though.

We should stop buying crap period but, if we are to buy crap, we should stop buying crap from China.

Western policy should reorientate to seek the overthrow of “communism” and the establishment of democratic government in a China as its primary purpose, IMHO.

Hong Kong and Taiwan (and TS in 1989) shows the idea that democracy doesn’t suit the Chinese people to be utter horseshit.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Cyclefree said:

As best I can tell China wants to erase any trace of Muslimness from the Uighurs. It seems to be equating Islam with extremism, at least judging by its public statements. That seems pretty Islamophobic to me.

But yes you are right that China is both able and willing to use very extreme measures to eliminate any sort of opposition.

It is perhaps worth pointing out that the Chinese government regards all religious affiliation with deep suspicion - including Buddhism, which is hardly a typical religion. That’s partly a legacy of communism, and also I think their belief that being religious is un-Chinese.

Such cultural revolutions are nothing new under the Maoists, of course.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Throughout history hasn't China traditionally looked down on other countries and cultures ?

And their new economic power now allows them to do so again.

But with over a century of resentments added.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Excellent article, Cyclefree.

On topic, the West as a whole should increasingly coordinate its foreign and security policy multilaterally amongst like-minded countries, and in the first instance use that to keep China (and others like it) out of South American and Africa. It should also start to form closer bonds with India, which has its own challenges but is at least sympathetic to democratic values.

The West is still a powerful force if properly led and coordinated with hard and soft power. But not even the US is powerful enough anymore to contain China on its own.

Glad to see you come out for international co-operation on foreign and security policy. Why not add economic and trade policy too... :smiley:
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    An excellent article. The use of concentration camps in China right now should be the biggest topic on the news. It is an outrage and the focus of editors to look at entertainment value rather than importance means a million Uighurs are being abandoned in thought and practice. We should all remember Dr King's maxim, "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere".

What to do is obviously a thornier question. One of the problems we face in these situations is that the only ones that can replace the Chinese dictatorship is the Chinese people themselves. So we need to have them view their own autocratic government as the enemy. This is difficult to do when we stand up for minorities and people's natural tribalism makes them take the side of their own government against the minority.

The correct response is for Western governments to focus on our common humanity rather than abstract criticisms. Do not speak about "human rights abuses", speak about individual stories of organ harvesting, torture and starvation. Don't use language about Chinese abuse of Uighurs, frame it as one part of Beijing's oppression of the Chinese people overall. Don't lecture them about "minority protections", spread photos like this one:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/dsylqp/picture_of_a_political_prisoner_in_one_of_chinas/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Thanks for the header, Cyclefree2 (new and even more improved?)
  • Options

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

Kensington returns to the fold!
  • Options

The oppression of Altishahr is another level than Tibet.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

LAB 19% (=)

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

Bye, Chukka!
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited December 2019
    HaroldO said:
    Like Sean Connery returning as James Bond in "Never Say Never Again", the magic has gone.

The two years since 2017 have taken their toll. Corby looks old, and tired, and listless. The stench of antisemitism clings to him, rightly or wrongly.

Corby will walk off the stage in three days time.

For the last time. The magic show is over.
  • Options

This is what the scoreboard will look like over the course of the night if current YouGov MRP is correct (ordered by expected declarations).

Is the x-axis time of night?
  • Options

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

LAB 19% (=)

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

Bye, Chukka!
    All 3 of those look in the bag for the Tories. I always knew Boris was more popular in London than a lot of folk make out.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I think it is more about people being "good" Chinese rather than a specific problem with Muslims. Their treatment of the Falun Gong which is linked to Buddhism has been very similar. Any ideology that goes mainsteam and is not controlled by the state is clamped down on very hard.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Today's most striking statistic is that SUVs are outselling electric vehicles 37 to 1 !
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913

nico67 said:

Silver Srfr

@SrfrSilver
    15m15 minutes ago
    1 reply1 retweet0 likes
    Reply 1
    Retweet 1
    More

I honestly think if it was all a lie, the hospital would have said something by now. They look just as bad as the government in all of this.
    Clearly the boy was not forced to sleep on the floor, there isn't a hospital in the land that would force that. However there clearly was no bed for him either, so why was he on the floor rather than sitting in a chair or on a trolley or being held or on a lap? It's irrelevant as the image is now out there.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited December 2019
    Brom said:

YouGov MRP had it Tories 40%, Labour 28%, LDs 27% in Cities of London and Westminster, so on this poll Chuka has at least moved into second. The Tories now favourites in Cities of London and Westminster but only on 44% while the LDs and Labour combined are on 54%, so if Chuka can squeeze that Labour vote right down with tactical voting he has a chance still, same with Luciana Berger in Finchley where the LDs are also now second.

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2019/
  • Options
    I know many others on this forum disagree but I think Chuka is shite. He can string a sentence together, and people think he’s got the look and feel of a British Obama, but he jumps around from party to party like a five-year old at a birthday buffet. He doesn’t seem to have anything to say other than utter banalities.

Empty suit.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

This is what the scoreboard will look like over the course of the night if current YouGov MRP is correct (ordered by expected declarations).

Yes. I guess I could convert it to actual time.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

All three London constituency polls good for the conservatives and this before George Osborne's endorsement in the Evening Standard today
  • Options

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

Gyimah collapsed to third, looks like Felicity Buchan will gain Kensington back for the Tories
  • Options

So if Sunderland Central is a Con gain all bets are off? :)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    RobD said:

I am still Cyclefree. The one and only original. On Twitter I am @Cyclefree2. (There is no Cyclefree1 - it was probably my ineptness at joining Twitter that led me to type 2 rather than 1.

I am a bit bored with this election, TBH. Seems to have been going on since June. There is a world out there ......
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

Seats declared I think
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

It is perhaps worth pointing out that the Chinese government regards all religious affiliation with deep suspicion - including Buddhism, which is hardly a typical religion. That’s partly a legacy of communism, and also I think their belief that being religious is un-Chinese.

Such cultural revolutions are nothing new under the Maoists, of course.
    Christians and Falun Gong practitioners have been persecuted too, though rarely as systematically as the Uigars.
  • Options
    It wasn’t exactly Woodstock. It wasn’t even Birmingham 2017. Back then nearly 10,000 people had turned up to hear Clean Bandit and Steve Coogan appear as warm-up acts for Jeremy Corbyn in the final days of the election campaign. On College Green in Bristol, sandwiched between the cathedral and the town hall, barely a couple of thousand – mostly students – showed up for the start of the Labour leader’s series of whirlwind national rallies.

Corbyn had hoped Bristol might mark the first gig of The Comeback Tour. It felt more like The Long Goodbye. It wasn’t just the audience and the warmth of a summer’s evening that were missing. It was the energy and the enthusiasm. Two years ago, there had been a sense of hope. A feeling that change was possible. Now there was just weariness, a weight of resignation. A commitment to a cause that already felt lost. The crowd had turned up as much to keep the faith with themselves as with their leader.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/09/corbyn-plays-all-the-old-favourites-in-bristol-but-no-ones-dancing
  • Options
    On a personal level a Tory government would be beneficial. Albeit not as beneficial as when Johnson was offering me £££. Thats hardly the point though. That boy on the floor of the hospital is the Good Times we can look forward to under a Johnson majority.

What a shame that Labour are unelectable and soon bankrupt.
  • Options
    With the positive information on Scotland, Wales and now London for the conservatives a majority must be beckoning irrespective of todays controversy
  • Options

nico67 said:

Silver Srfr

@SrfrSilver
    15m15 minutes ago
    1 reply1 retweet0 likes
    Reply 1
    Retweet 1
    More

They are probably under instruction to say nothing under purdah rules
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

RobD said:

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

All three London constituency polls good for the conservatives and this before George Osborne's endorsement in the Evening Standard today
    I am not sure GO's endorsement will help though tbf. :smile:
  • Options

With the positive information on Scotland, Wales and now London for the conservatives a majority must be beckoning irrespective of todays controversy

If they do, I think it will be despite Boris, because of Brexit and Corbyn.
  • Options
    Trump stood up to China on Hong Kong and the US is the only world power capable of standing up to the Chinese on equal terms, that goes for the Uighurs too
  • Options

I know many others on this forum disagree but I think Chuka is shite. He can string a sentence together, and people think he’s got the look and feel of a British Obama, but he jumps around from party to party like a five-year old at a birthday buffet. He doesn’t seem to have anything to say other than utter banalities.

Empty suit.

He is overrated Id agree, might make quite a good Foreign secretary, not sure Id want him in the other senior roles.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

RobD said:

I am still Cyclefree. The one and only original. On Twitter I am @Cyclefree2. (There is no Cyclefree1 - it was probably my ineptness at joining Twitter that led me to type 2 rather than 1.

I am a bit bored with this election, TBH. Seems to have been going on since June. There is a world out there ......
    So you started out new and improved? :D
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    HaroldO said:
    I had thought that the rally was scheduled for 1.30. Press and police seemed to think Corbyn would turn up at 2.00. It must have been closer to 2.30 when he finally rolled up, after talking to TV and radio reporters.

It was bloody cold.
  • Options

On a personal level a Tory government would be beneficial. Albeit not as beneficial as when Johnson was offering me £££. Thats hardly the point though. That boy on the floor of the hospital is the Good Times we can look forward to under a Johnson majority.

Look on the bright side. At least pensioners won't be getting £0.75p a week rise.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited December 2019
    Well YouGov Wales plus those three constituency polls look absolutely fantastic for Con.

ICM and Remain United ComRes not great, but consistent with prior equivalent polls.

Overall a pretty good polling day for Con.

But they've drifted quite a bit on Betfair - presumably because of the phone incident.
  • Options
    Since we're doing religion tonight, this is what happened in France 114 years ago today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1905_French_law_on_the_Separation_of_the_Churches_and_the_State
  • Options

Empty suit.

I have posted on here a few times. I met him a few years ago, and he came across as the worst kind of slippery politician.
  • Options

You are correct. Obviously there is no way under Labour or the Lib Dems that would happen. Everyone would live in mansions, work 2 day weeks, ride unicorns and 14 year olds could sit in the European Parliament.

Hospitals need improving, but it’s been this way a long, long time and as Wales shows it is not a problem any specific ruling government will easily fix.
  • Options

Empty suit.

Oh sure. But its always an amazing suit. And he is pretty...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    The Londpon polls are very useful as they reduce the numer of gains needed elsewhere. I would have liked to see more polls from the 'red wall' areas.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited December 2019

Empty suit.

I agree. It’s HY who keeps ramping him as the next Macron. He seems to have a weakness for politicians who are all hat and no cattle.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Today's most striking statistic is that SUVs are outselling electric vehicles 37 to 1 !

Partly because of the waiting list! 12 months for my Kia e-Niro.
  • Options

Yes, all 3 have edged very nicely in the Tory direction just at the right time, quite apart from the North and Midlands.

Two campaigning days to go...
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

44 out of 71 years the NHS has been under a tory government. At what point are you going to realise that they have no intention of killing it off.
    Brown and Blair privatised more of the NHS than all other tory governments combined. The NHS should fear Labour more than anything else.
  • Options

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Uber for Chuka...?

At present new peerages are greatly reduced in an effort to get the bloated numbers down & then capped at 600.

Chuka may be out of luck.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

RobD said:

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

I am not sure GO's endorsement will help though tbf. :smile:
    Vote for Boris or - Project Fear?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

LAB 19% (=)

Changes w/ 14-21 Nov.

Changes w/ 7-13 Nov.

Any news on what's happening with Ms Soubry in Broxtowe? ;)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Thoughtful article @Cyclefree on a darker aspect of China's politics.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    glw said:

Nigelb said:

mwadams said:

Now I hate Trump a lot more than most people, but I'm not sure he has had such a large effect in that regard as people say he has, because China has been pursuing technological independence and native production for a long time. What we are seeing is that the capital and other resource investment over the last couple of decades in sectors like semiconductors, telecoms, aviation, and military equipment is now bearing fruit. What Trump unquestionably has done though, is to confirm in Chinese minds the necessity of such policy goals.
    The trade war has had a very large effect indeed.
    Sure, these were long term Chinese goals - but it has now become a crash development program (note today’s announcement of a ban on the use of overseas hardware and software by 2020).

What was a worldwide collaborative system of tech development is in danger of becoming two separate competing systems. And given how much of the ‘West’s’ technology is situated in China’s backyard (Taiwan and S. Korea), we are in a potentially precarious position.
  • Options
    felix said:

The Londpon polls are very useful as they reduce the numer of gains needed elsewhere. I would have liked to see more polls from the 'red wall' areas.

Agreed, but it’s probably a good thing for the Tories if they keep Labour guessing about the scale of their advance and the whereabouts.

Pretty much all the recent constituency polls have been on the money or underestimated the Tory vote share compared to the MRP which bodes well.
This discussion has been closed.