Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Getting Brexit Done

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Getting Brexit Done

Past performance is not a guide to the future. A caveat plastered all over investment products which might usefully be remembered by those anxiously scanning polls or those politicians explaining why the PM’s success in getting a revised Withdrawal Agreement means that he can reach an FTA with the EU before the transition period ends in 385 days time.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    First
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Get Brexit done is clearly overplayed to give the impression that it will all go away, but perhaps I overestimate the public in thinking that most people do know that in reality only this phase will be done, and many regard that as sufficient progress - it's clearly done enough for opponents, hence fighting so hard to not be this much done.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Trade will become a political issue for a few years in the same way that the EU was. It will annoy the European-aligned voters, the same way the EU used to annoy America-aligned voters. Chlorinated chicken = bendy bananas, except not a fiction propagated by crap biased journalists like, well I believe at the time that was propagated by B Johnson.
  • Options
    4th like the Lib Dems
  • Options
    It will done in the sense of getting it off the front page and the news bulletins, but in all other senses it will never really be done and will impact our future for generations.
  • Options
    My favourite straw in the wind is 'judge how bad things are by who is sent out to do the TV interviews'.

Labour have put up Andy McDonald for Brillo this evening. If I see Barry Gardiner later, I'll know the jig's up.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    @PanelbaseMD @panelbase GB poll (changes since Dec 04-06)

Westminster #GE2019
    Con 43% (NC)
    Lab 34% (NC)
    Lib Dem 11% (-2%)
    Brexit Party 4% (+1%)*
    Green 3% (+1%)

*BXP share where they’re standing = 8% (+1%)

EU Ref
    Remain 52% (NC)
    Leave 48% (NC)

Dec 10-11

Sample 3,174
  • Options
    Interesting how Corbyn's IRA association didn't stick to him in 2017, whereas his antisemitism has this time.

Either way, anyone voting for him should hang their heads in shame.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited December 2019
    If Boris wins a majority then the Withdrawal Agreement will pass and there will thus be an agreed completed Deal, No Deal will no longer be possible and FTA talks will begin with the EU and it is misleading to talk about No Deal still in such a scenario, No Deal is only no completed and passed Withdrawal Agreement.

It may be we can complete a FTA within a year and before the transition period ends or it may take a bit longer but a FTA will be done
  • Options

Westminster #GE2019
    Con 43% (NC)
    Lab 34% (NC)
    Lib Dem 11% (-2%)
    Brexit Party 4% (+1%)*
    Green 3% (+1%)

EU Ref
    Remain 52% (NC)
    Leave 48% (NC)

Dec 10-11

Sample 3,174

What’s that sound? I think it’s the sound of herding!!!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Getting Brexit Done is an expertly crafted election slogan. Might be a difficult promise to keep.
  • Options
    Banterman said:

Interesting how Corbyn's IRA association didn't stick to him in 2017, whereas his antisemitism has this time.

Boris Johnson is a racist so whatevs.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

Westminster #GE2019
    Con 43% (NC)
    Lab 34% (NC)
    Lib Dem 11% (-2%)
    Brexit Party 4% (+1%)*
    Green 3% (+1%)

EU Ref
    Remain 52% (NC)
    Leave 48% (NC)

Dec 10-11

Sample 3,174

Told you all.
    The polls in the last week are useless due to herding.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302

My favourite straw in the wind is 'judge how bad things are by who is sent out to do the TV interviews'.

Labour have put up Andy McDonald for Brillo this evening. If I see Barry Gardiner later, I'll know the jig's up.

It could have been Dianne Abbott... (said in the voice of the Jon Culshaw version of brillo)
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Westminster #GE2019
    Con 43% (NC)
    Lab 34% (NC)
    Lib Dem 11% (-2%)
    Brexit Party 4% (+1%)*
    Green 3% (+1%)

EU Ref
    Remain 52% (NC)
    Leave 48% (NC)

Dec 10-11

Sample 3,174

To be herding the figures would need to move...
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Westminster #GE2019
    Con 43% (NC)
    Lab 34% (NC)
    Lib Dem 11% (-2%)
    Brexit Party 4% (+1%)*
    Green 3% (+1%)

EU Ref
    Remain 52% (NC)
    Leave 48% (NC)

Dec 10-11

Sample 3,174

Told you all.
    They didn’t herd at all in 2017 to be fair.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Westminster #GE2019
    Con 43% (NC)
    Lab 34% (NC)
    Lib Dem 11% (-2%)
    Brexit Party 4% (+1%)*
    Green 3% (+1%)

EU Ref
    Remain 52% (NC)
    Leave 48% (NC)

Dec 10-11

Sample 3,174

Told you all.
    The polls are probably useless whenever. They are almost certainly right in predicting the Tories are ahead, but beyond that I am doubtful. They might turn out to be bang on this time but if they are it will be down more to luck than judgement, in my opinion.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Banterman said:

Jester has done more to bring about a United Ireland and is an actual racist

Anyone voting for him should hang their head in shame!!
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Westminster #GE2019
    Con 43% (NC)
    Lab 34% (NC)
    Lib Dem 11% (-2%)
    Brexit Party 4% (+1%)*
    Green 3% (+1%)

EU Ref
    Remain 52% (NC)
    Leave 48% (NC)

Dec 10-11

Sample 3,174

Told you all.
    Polls towards the end of the election campaign are, by their very nature, impacted less by don't knows. you can see the don't know effects as the election date gets closer.
  • Options
    Tomorrow the words brisk and sluggish get well deserved extra outings
  • Options

Westminster #GE2019
    Con 43% (NC)
    Lab 34% (NC)
    Lib Dem 11% (-2%)
    Brexit Party 4% (+1%)*
    Green 3% (+1%)

EU Ref
    Remain 52% (NC)
    Leave 48% (NC)

Dec 10-11

Sample 3,174

No change is great news :smiley:
  • Options
    Banterman said:

That makes about thirty thousand people, more than will vote for the the guy who chose to write about "piccaninnies" and "bum boys". Doubtless words used completely in irony and not to entertain, or to belittle anybody except his purported targets, but in that case where were his fedora and neckbeard?
  • Options
    12 from Opinium down 3
    9 from BMG and PanelBase no change

9 is the number used for the MRP
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Banterman said:

"Actual"?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    It looks like the total electorate is going to be about 47.5 million, if the 523 seats we already have data for are typical.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Steady. I predict steady.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited December 2019

Banterman said:

No, I don't think he is a racist, and certainly not indisputably so. He is however a liar and a charlatan. He may not be the first such PM in my lifetime of whom that could be said, but he would certainly be the first who was known to be such before he was elected.
  • Options

Steady. I predict steady.
    And picking up, dont forget picking up
  • Options

Banterman said:

No, I don't think he is a racist, and certainly not indisputably so. He is however a liar and a charlatan. He may not be the first such PM in my lifetime of whom that could be said, but he would certainly the first who was known to be such before he was elected.
    His actions have shown that he may not be racist (or antisemitic) but he is, as are a large number of the hard left, blind to the antisemitism. his actions have shown as much.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It looks like the total electorate is going to be about 47.5 million, if the 523 seats we already have data for are typical.

I wonder how many living individuals that represents. Strip out the deceased and double registered, and that represents a true 100% turnout figure.
  • Options

Of course nothing is over but...

I just wanted to thank Mike, the header writers and everyone for the content over the last few weeks. Lots to think about. Various comments have struck me as truth that have altered my thinking here and there.

Try to remember that things are rarely as bad as you fear or as good as you hope. The British public tend to be wise in the end - let's try to trust them.

PB keeps getting better after 15 years, amazingly, even though the election has been kind of meh as a betting event, with so much Butlerian indeterminancy around what way results might look. And the comments section is far improved from a few years ago.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
  • Options
    BXP share where they’re standing = 8%

Does that seem rather high?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    I tell you what, if it rains here tonight it’s going to be bloody dangerous tomorrow. I left school at 5 and I had to de-ice the car.
  • Options
    I as a Conservative generally find being on the other side of Peter Oborne to be a Good Thing™
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I wonder how many living individuals that represents. Strip out the deceased and double registered, and that represents a true 100% turnout figure.
    The population is 67.5 million and about 75% are adults, so the electorate ought to be about 50.6 million if everyone were registered.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Poor old Peter O lost his mind a while ago.
  • Options
    ICM, ComRes, Deltapoll and Survation still to come this evening?

*lies buried under weight of opinion polls*
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Westminster #GE2019
    Con 43% (NC)
    Lab 34% (NC)
    Lib Dem 11% (-2%)
    Brexit Party 4% (+1%)*
    Green 3% (+1%)

EU Ref
    Remain 52% (NC)
    Leave 48% (NC)

Dec 10-11

Sample 3,174

How is it herding if they aren't changing?

Good news for team Blue as it suggests the last few days have had no significant impact in VI.
  • Options
  • Options

I as a Conservative generally find being on the other side of Peter Oborne to be a Good Thing™
    I've never knowingly agreed with the twat on anything...
  • Options
    I've not been online much today - has there been a "Herdson Moment" to be aware of?
  • Options
    That’s an awfully long winded way of saying ‘because I’m a nihilist who doesn’t think consistency is important.’

(For the record, he’s right about Johnson, but totally wrong about Corbyn.)
  • Options
    My Polly patented nose-peg has arrived via Amazon Prime in time for tomorrow....
  • Options

Of course nothing is over but...

I just wanted to thank Mike, the header writers and everyone for the content over the last few weeks. Lots to think about. Various comments have struck me as truth that have altered my thinking here and there.

Try to remember that things are rarely as bad as you fear or as good as you hope. The British public tend to be wise in the end - let's try to trust them.

Generous and well said

I said to my good lady today whatever happens tomorrow the mps have been elected into a fresh HOC and there can be no complaints as there was with so many mps just squatting in the last session
  • Options

I've not been online much today - has there been a "Herdson Moment" to be aware of?

All the polls seems to be herding to a nine point lead. Not sure if there are any sons involved.
  • Options

Banterman said:

No, I don't think he is a racist, and certainly not indisputably so. He is however a liar and a charlatan. He may not be the first such PM in my lifetime of whom that could be said, but he would certainly be the first who was known to be such before he was elected.
    Peter
    Do you know any other non racists who talk about "watermelon smiles" and "Piccaninnies" or that say "Islam is the problem."or compare Muslim women to letter boxes or Bank Robbers?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    Andy_JS said:
    Not if you have been following his column for a while.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

My Polly patented nose-peg has arrived via Amazon Prime in time for tomorrow....

Are you in a Lib-Lab marginal ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    HYUFD said:

If Boris wins a majority then the Withdrawal Agreement will pass and there will thus be an agreed completed Deal, No Deal will no longer be possible and FTA talks will begin with the EU and it is misleading to talk about No Deal still in such a scenario, No Deal is only no completed and passed Withdrawal Agreement.

It may be we can complete a FTA within a year and before the transition period ends or it may take a bit longer but a FTA will be done

If the transition period ends and there is no agreement, that is a no deal exit.

Although of course we know that Bozo will extend. Whatever he says.
  • Options
    Well have the same impact as the fifteen Labour MPs saying don’t vote Corbyn I expect: negligible.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

The population is 67.5 million and about 75% are adults, so the electorate ought to be about 50.6 million if everyone were registered.
    So several million Labour voters excluded from the register.
  • Options

Yes, I had forgotten the ritual morning of completely useless anecdotes from polling stations. A good reason to go out campaigning
  • Options

Hoping to publish one final ELBOW within the next 12 hours :)

Somebody has added the MRPs (YG and FocalData) to the Wiki poll table - do you think I should include them in ELBOW?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    We’re not getting an ICM poll tonight .

Having checked their twitter feed their final poll was the one released on Monday .
  • Options

Well have the same impact as the fifteen Labour MPs saying don’t vote Corbyn I expect: negligible.
    Well it's hard to judge I'd have thought given we cannot prove what would happen if they didn't act. It's like the Don Valley result - if it goes Con some people will be laughing at Caroline Flint and saying she did all that Brexit friendly stuff for nothing, but for all we know the Tories would have won it even easier without her actions.
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155

Did Boris shag his missus?
  • Options

Banterman said:

Peter
    Do you know any other non racists who talk about "watermelon smiles" and "Piccaninnies" or that say "Islam is the problem."or compare Muslim women to letter boxes or Bank Robbers?
    He actually said it was OK for Muslim women to wear veils (bear in mind that not all Muslim women do so).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Oborne long ago ceased to be a Conservative in any sense. He's a theocrat, who sees Islam as filling the role that Christianity once filled in this country.
  • Options

Somebody has added the MRPs (YG and FocalData) to the Wiki poll table - do you think I should include them in ELBOW?
    Put it all in, Sunil!
  • Options

No
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

Yes, why not?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2019

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

‘<‘Pedant mode> If they are not on the register they might be Labour supporters but they can’t be Labour voters.’<‘/Pedant Mode>
    Who has been excluded?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Banterman said:

Peter
    Have you actually read any of the items you are quoting? I suspect not, but don't let it stop you making a fool of yourself.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    On the whole, not much impact from Johnson's antics on Monday in the final polls.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    A 2018 study estimated that actual turnout of GE17 could have been nearer 78% than 68%, because of all the duplicate entries on the register and people who had died. Basically the published electorate is way too large.

Food for thought when using published electorate numbers for boundary reviews.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

A 2018 study estimated that actual turnout of GE17 could have been nearer 78% than 68%, because of all the duplicate entries on the register and people who had died. Basically the published electorate is way too large.

Good news for my prediction of a turnout above 70% for the first time since 1997.
  • Options
    argyllrs said:

Who is the “his” in that sentence?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes, I had forgotten the ritual morning of completely useless anecdotes from polling stations. A good reason to go out campaigning
    Yes, I intend to vote as close to 7am as possible... my own vote will be cast in a brisk manner. ;)
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Having checked their twitter feed their final poll was the one released on Monday .

We'll just have to extrapolate it to a 5% lead then.
    (ICM's previous four had leads of 10%, 7%, 7%, and most recently 6%.)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Just seen the most dire Lib Dem policy - looks suspiciously like "Help to rent". Sweet Lord how did they come up with that one - we need to be reducing landlord benefit, not increasing it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Good news for my prediction of a turnout above 70% for the first time since 1997.
    Not if the current register is similar
  • Options

Yes, why not?
    Fair enough - it's just that the previous YouGov MRP from November isn't in the Wiki table!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Yes, I intend to vote as close to 7am as possible... my own vote will be cast in a brisk manner. ;)
    Vote early and (to PB Tories only) vote often!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

What I find strange is that about 12 million people on the register won't bother to vote tomorrow, including some who've specially registered in the last few weeks.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

No
    Not even a candidate hiding from Piers Morgan in a refrigerator. An extra 20 million votes from the Piers Morgan haters?
  • Options
    Chris said:

On the whole, not much impact from Johnson's antics on Monday in the final polls.

We may find that the final polls have a lead that is basically the same as where we were 6 weeks ago. The only difference being that Tories squeezed Brexit Party and Labour the Lib Dems.
  • Options

Yes, why not?
    Fair enough - it's just that the previous YouGov MRP from November isn't in the Wiki table!
    I think they've taken it out again as it "isn't a proper poll" lol
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Andy_JS said:

2017 GE Electorate = 46,843,896.

So up 1.4% - I guess that's roughly in line with population increase.

Implies no change in % of people registered / not registered.

So all those articles about registration surges were complete rubbish - surprise, surprise!

And none of the journalists who wrote those articles have bothered to follow up the actual data - again surprise, surprise!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

‘<‘Pedant mode> If they are not on the register they might be Labour supporters but they can’t be Labour voters.’<‘/Pedant Mode>
    Who has been excluded?
    Why not just register everyone who has an NI number?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    If you are voting for a Marxist with the stench of anti Semitism around him you are no conservative and never will be
  • Options
    Sad news. I saw him give a lecture about 10 years ago (which included being very sceptical about climate change).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

What I find strange is that about 12 million people on the register won't bother to vote tomorrow, including some who've specially registered in the last few weeks.
    Auto-enrolment of students is certainly part of the later. They agree for the uni to do it on their behalf when they register for their academic year.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Not if the current register is similar
    Shouldn't the register be "fresher" and so have fewer mistakes in it as old expired entries get purged near the end of the year and that should have just been done?
  • Options

argyllrs said:

Who is the “his” in that sentence?
    Well it certainly ain’t BoJo...the whole problem* is he shags ladies other than the missis.

*OK, not the whole problem. The racism, dishonesty and incompetence are issues as well.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Am watching Andrew Neil on BBC, has someone put too much caffeine in Jeremy Vine's coffee?

I'm not sure that The BBC has learnt from the coverage in 2015, and 2017. The only saving grace is John Curtice discussing what to look for on Friday morning.
  • Options

nico67 said:

We'll just have to extrapolate it to a 5% lead then.
    (ICM's previous four had leads of 10%, 7%, 7%, and most recently 6%.)
    That is a bit dodgy Ben

At least average them 7.5%
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

What's stopping them registering?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Andy_JS said:

2017 GE Electorate = 46,843,896.

So up 1.4% - I guess that's roughly in line with population increase.

Implies no change in % of people registered / not registered.

So all those articles about registration surges were complete rubbish - surprise, surprise!

And none of the journalists who wrote those articles have bothered to follow up the actual data - again surprise, surprise!
    LOL. How many posts were there about the number of new registrations? The vast majority were probably already on there.
  • Options
    It'll be good to see the back of this parliament. Let's hope the 650 odd MPs who get in can find a way to make things work, in or out of the EU.
This discussion has been closed.