Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The reports of high turnout might be down to the fact it’ll go

Comments

• Options
    Drutt said:

We really need some northern anecdotes

Shortage of anecdotes? You were lucky.
    I got up half and hour before I went to bed just to make sure I had a northern anecdote in the 2005 election.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

It's a parody of a tweet from 2016 EU ref, where someone said their blind 93yr mum shouted at which box for leave, to cheers from the queue
    So it didn't happen? ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Why would they urgently need one if it's in the bag?
    Because it’s very close...
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Your opinion really is informative and interesting.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

''Labour will do fine in metropolitan and commuter areas. ''

A somewhat glib assertion.

Many people in those constituencies work in and around financial services, an industry Mr Corbyn explicitly wants destroy.

Hardly 'glib'. The labour offer is clearly tilted at these areas. There is, of course, a corollary, given that labour are looking likely to lose 20% of their 2017 vote nationally.
  • Options

Your opinion really is informative and interesting.
    Thank you I’ll keep posting just for you
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I've been sitting with the Ballot paper in front of me for nearly half an hour and am unable to make my mind up. I'm in a Leading marginal which flip-flops between LAB and CON and had decided to only vote tactically if I thought the result here was a foregone conclusion. There is only ever a few hundred votes in it in this constituency.

Mike : forget the economics (including Brexit) if you can. Think about fundamentals.

Johnson is a tosser but he won’t do irreparable harm. Corbyn is either evil or happy to facilitate evil.

Hold your nose and lend your vote to the Conservatives. If it ends up being Tories by 1 MP then you will have done a good thing in keeping Corbyn out. If it ends up with a large Tory majority you didn’t make a difference.
  • Options

RobD said:

So not yet a gain...
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

If they're urgently needed in Chingford that means they haven't sealed the deal and it is moving away from them. Stop ramping, please.
    Or it means they’re incredibly close?

What did MRP say?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    edited December 2019
    Nigelb said:
    Is the Red Roar kosher or one of those Russian Tory fakes? It is hard to keep up. I vaguely recall one of the supposedly Labour sites was knocked offline at the same time as Guido but am not sure it was this one.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

So not yet a gain...
    My apologies. I should have said a probable Labour gain.
  • Options
    Red Roar is Guido it’s trash
  • Options

nunu2 said:

If they're urgently needed in Chingford that means they haven't sealed the deal and it is moving away from them. Stop ramping, please.
    Or it means they’re incredibly close?

What did MRP say?
    2% tory lead in Yougov, 9% lead in FocalData.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    O'Hagan getting here excuses in early.

It was the lack of canvassers wot lost it. Or the Russians interfered. Or that awful Kuenssberg person. Or.....
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

So not yet a gain...
    My apologies. I should have said a probable Labour gain.
    How is it probable yet also very close? Consistency, please! :p
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 841
    All very quiet here, might be the continous rain since heaven knows when.
  • Options
    Now they need help in Battersea.

Both marginals, interesting
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Foxy said:

mwadams said:

RobD said:

There was not a queue at my polling station in rural Scotland, but there were TWO other people, so I'm calling #brisk

Is it possible "brisk" alone is simply insufficient in these modern times? I propose we split it into "lightly brisk" and "heavily brisk".
    I propose:

"Brisk", "Steadily brisk", "Steady", "Sluggishly steady", "Sluggish", "Dead"

All of which can be appended with "which means it is looking pretty bad for [the enemy]".
    This looks brisk

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/12/longest-queues-ever-people-stand-line-around-block-vote-11771760/?ito=article.mweb.share.top.link

Not good for my low turnout bet, but bad for the Tories...
    Not at all bad for the Tories, for every vote they retain/gain in London they lose in parts of the country that aren't safe as houses Labour seats.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    There's not much that could persuade me to vote for IDS, but Ellie-Mae O'Hagan canvassing me in the other direction would definitely work. Like Owen Jones without the towering intellect.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    Maybe they should stop farting about in Finchley?
  • Options

You mean, marginals might actually be marginal?! Gobsmacking
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    edited December 2019

Should have been put away ages ago, it's a Labour held seat in a very remain part of town. Very bad news for labour.
  • Options

Maybe I should rename myself to ObviousHorseBattery
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    She then duly marked her cross next to a picture of a tree, thinking it was a rose.

Just getting my coat.
  • Options

If true that's really bad for Labour. As it's 78% remain and has no significant libdem presence to split the vote it's the sort of seat where there should absolutely be a swing to labour, even on a solid tory lead.
  • Options
    Away from the election, a proper Christmas story:
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-50754865
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    I think out of all of us here CHB you will be crushed the most if the result does not go your way. If it does goes your way, I'll take it on the chin and collect my winnings and watch Corbyn & co implode within 6 months and then enjoy a Tory landslide.

But I'm worried about you CHB. Those words 'Tory majority' are going to make your head explode.
  • Options

Can I ask what your source is for this?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Rain is setting in here in Norwich and for now the dead have stopped rising from their graves to vote for Clive and Jeremy. Just a lonely matchgirl huddled by the pub door clutching her Corbyn doll.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:
    Not a fan of Corbyn, and genuinely sorry that she got treated in the way she did, it was disgusting. However, what did she expect? Tory win in Finchley anyway!
  • Options
    Jason said:

I think out of all of us here CHB you will be crushed the most if the result does not go your way. If it does goes your way, I'll take it on the chin and collect my winnings and watch Corbyn & co implode within 6 months and then enjoy a Tory landslide.

But I'm worried about you CHB. Those words 'Tory majority' are going to make your head explode.
    I’ll be disappointed. Personally I’ll be better off under a Tory Government.

But I’m sure people know that I’m always happy to hold my hands up when wrong.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

No.

A quick competition on what you should rename yourself?
  • Options
    Charles said:

I've been sitting with the Ballot paper in front of me for nearly half an hour and am unable to make my mind up. I'm in a Leading marginal which flip-flops between LAB and CON and had decided to only vote tactically if I thought the result here was a foregone conclusion. There is only ever a few hundred votes in it in this constituency.

Mike : forget the economics (including Brexit) if you can. Think about fundamentals.

Johnson is a tosser but he won’t do irreparable harm. Corbyn is either evil or happy to facilitate evil.

Hold your nose and lend your vote to the Conservatives. If it ends up being Tories by 1 MP then you will have done a good thing in keeping Corbyn out. If it ends up with a large Tory majority you didn’t make a difference.
    Spun another way, Boris is planning to wreck the constitution by curbing the courts and parliament. Corbyn only wants to nationalise a bunch of things that can be re-privatised later.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Not sure the election itself was a mistake . The problem was the Lib Dems revoke position.

They should have portrayed themselves as the moderate choice but their revoke position looks a bit extremist even for some Remainers .

I think the deal would have eventually got through anyway , and let’s say it didn’t what the hell was the EU supposed to do in January .

Say okay there’s a few more months for MPs to argue and still not find a resolution .

The extension until the end of January was only granted because they thought an election was nailed on . Sorry to say but the EU just want rid of the UK now . A few countries might still hope there’d be a change of mind but these are a small minority .

I spend a lot of time in France , no one even talks about Brexit , the papers have only shown a bit more interest now because of the GE but before you’d be lucky to find an item that didn’t end up next to the personal ads !

I’m an ardent Remainer but seriously I think too many people don’t understand that for the EU they have a choice as to an unstable neighbour racked with toxicity and EU relations becoming a political football in every election or a neighbour where relations can be rebuilt once the air is let out of the Brexit balloon .

Brexit being done is clearly not going to happen quickly , the symbolism of leaving though is quite powerful and that will just by itself reduce some of the toxicity .

If the EU had really wanted to help stop Brexit they would have rolled the dice and not agreed a deal and then hoped against no deal in an election that Johnson would lose .

Everything changed once a deal was agreed . Because Ireland are very happy with that outcome the EU can rightly say they supported them and stood by what is a smallish country . No one can accuse the EU of not standing by one of their members .

• Options

No.

I like BrainwashedBattery, has a nice ring to it
  • Options
    Nobidexx said:

If true that's really bad for Labour. As it's 78% remain and has no significant libdem presence to split the vote it's the sort of seat where there should absolutely be a swing to labour, even on a solid tory lead.
    And they should have had their canvassing teams already organised and properly briefed.

Which they probably did, to be fair. These sorts of report are almost certainly garbage.
  • Options

I would politely suggest you get a little less excitable and more balanced in your posts. The youth are turning out especially in London but if you read the Metro they are adding thousands of votes to already safe labour seats

I am not saying you are wrong in predicting a hung parliament but at the same time you lose creditability if you come over as some form of bot

Please do not take it personally, maybe just a bit if constructive criticsm, but please keep posting
  • Options
    Methinks is one word, otherwise it's just poor grammar.
    https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/methinks
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

Red Roar is Guido it’s trash

Thanks.
    It is sensible to treat all tweets with a degree of scepticism.
  • Options
    chloe said:

camel said:

Labour will do fine in metropolitan and commuter areas.
    Labour has been virtually invisible in Finchley and Golders Green despite coming a fairly close second last time.
    Yep... only communication i have had was a postal election address to one member of the household.
  • Options
    As returning officer at the Oxford Union I had an uncomfortable discussion with one of the elderly voters who was partially sighted - and rather deaf, so spoke loudly. I had to help him complete his ballot.
    "Which one's the Jew boy?" "Oh I think that would be Mr Steiner" "Vote for him!"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    A visit from @HYUFD is very effective at getting out the Remainer vote...
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    edited December 2019
    Charles said:

I was having this conversation the other day. I think the your analysis of Johnson is accurate: he is awful, posturing, weak, lazy, and not half as clever as he thinks he is, but not actively evil. My problem is that people around him (DC?) who are *not* lazy, really are evil.

So the question is, while holding your nose, which brand of evil are you backing?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Has anyone voted LAB in Scotland yet?! :lol:
  • Options

I would politely suggest you get a little less excitable and more balanced in your posts. The youth are turning out especially in London but if you read the Metro they are adding thousands of votes to already safe labour seats

I am not saying you are wrong in predicting a hung parliament but at the same time you lose creditability if you come over as some form of bot

Please do not take it personally, maybe just a bit if constructive criticsm, but please keep posting
    All the best.
  • Options

I agree it was a mistake but the deal was very likely passing anyway, nearly all the tory rebels were only anti no dealers rather than 2nd reffers. Better it passes with a mandate and the country having had some chance to reject it if they want to. So the timing a minor rather than major mistake.
    Yes, I think that is right. On the other hand the LibDem campaign has been a straightforward disaster.
    I cant disagree with that. The maths of coming from the 2017 GE with so few competitive seats for them was hugely problematic regardless of the campaigning though. Getting dozens of close 2nd places would still be some progress even if they dont win many seats.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    nico67 said:

Not sure the election itself was a mistake . The problem was the Lib Dems revoke position.

They should have portrayed themselves as the moderate choice but their revoke position looks a bit extremist even for some Remainers .

I think the deal would have eventually got through anyway , and let’s say it didn’t what the hell was the EU supposed to do in January .

Say okay there’s a few more months for MPs to argue and still not find a resolution .

The extension until the end of January was only granted because they thought an election was nailed on . Sorry to say but the EU just want rid of the UK now . A few countries might still hope there’d be a change of mind but these are a small minority .

I spend a lot of time in France , no one even talks about Brexit , the papers have only shown a bit more interest now because of the GE but before you’d be lucky to find an item that didn’t end up next to the personal ads !

I’m an ardent Remainer but seriously I think too many people don’t understand that for the EU they have a choice as to an unstable neighbour racked with toxicity and EU relations becoming a political football in every election or a neighbour where relations can be rebuilt once the air is let out of the Brexit balloon .

Brexit being done is clearly not going to happen quickly , the symbolism of leaving though is quite powerful and that will just by itself reduce some of the toxicity .

If the EU had really wanted to help stop Brexit they would have rolled the dice and not agreed a deal and then hoped against no deal in an election that Johnson would lose .

Everything changed once a deal was agreed . Because Ireland are very happy with that outcome the EU can rightly say they supported them and stood by what is a smallish country . No one can accuse the EU of not standing by one of their members .

People spent 6 months saying how Labour's policy of a second referendum after creating a plan were we to leave was impossible to sell.

The Lib Dems went for a simple approach but it failed as soon as the election moved away from Brexit.
  • Options
    How about BotBattery? Seems to be good and agrees with the Tories here
  • Options

Thanks for the Yorkshire anecdote.

I'll give you another anecdote. I live in a market town in East Riding (Greg Knight's constituency). I work from home. Polling station at the top of road. It's been really noticeable how many people are going to vote. Polling cards on display. Genuinely haven't seen this before on polling day. Went to cast my vote at 10am. It was... steady. One person out, one person in. No queues, but constant traffic.

What's interesting is how many people have said that they really don't know who to vote for. LD/Green/Brexit/UKIP/Yorkshire votes wasted. Labour always respectable second. Don't want to vote Conservative.

As one person put it to me at the start of the week - "Both of them will s**t on you but do you want them to s**t on you and fix the potholes or s**t on you and spend a load of money?"
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Can I ask what your source is for this?
    Pravda?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Probably a try and stay second push. Yougov MRP had it 27/23 to LD for second with a safe tory hold.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699

I just voted. No queue, normal flow in and out. I learned nothing from it.

Likewise in my station in Bootle. It was 11am. I've never voted at 11am before. Normally about 9am or about 7pm. So I can't tell anything from it.

It wasn't as busy as May at the EU elections (when I voted at 7pm) but that tells me nowt really. Two elderly people leaving when I arrived (Reckon they voted Labour). One person rushed in and out whilst I was there (reckon they voted Labour too). One person arrived as I was leaving (Reckon they'll vote Labour).

Prediction for my seat is a Labour HOLD.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    mwadams said:

Charles said:

I was having this conversation the other day. I think the your analysis of Johnson is accurate: he is awful, posturing, weak, lazy, and not half as clever as he thinks he is, but not actively evil. My problem is that people around him (DC?) who are *not* lazy, really are evil.

So the question is, while holding your nose, which brand of evil are you backing?
    A choice between Dominic Cummins and Seamus Milne. You spoil us.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

TOPPING said:
    Not a fan of Corbyn, and genuinely sorry that she got treated in the way she did, it was disgusting. However, what did she expect? Tory win in Finchley anyway!
    Yeah completely random decision to target her right this minute.
  • Options

No, stick with the name.
  • Options

FlatBattery if it's a Tory majority.
  • Options

Charles said:

Spun another way, Boris is planning to wreck the constitution by curbing the courts and parliament. Corbyn only wants to nationalise a bunch of things that can be re-privatised later.
    If you can’t choose between two unpalatables - and I feel much the same - vote Lib Dem. It is at least what you believe in.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929
    Just had the LibDem get the vote out crowd come down the street in the driving rain. Fair play to them: they’re putting the work in. (OxWAB if anyone cares.)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,629

No.

If I understand the origin of your name correctly, you can choose whatever you like provided it is at least 15 digits long and has one upper case letter, one lower case, one number and a punctuation mark.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

I just voted. No queue, normal flow in and out. I learned nothing from it.

Likewise in my station in Bootle. It was 11am. I've never voted at 11am before. Normally about 9am or about 7pm. So I can't tell anything from it.

It wasn't as busy as May at the EU elections (when I voted at 7pm) but that tells me nowt really. Two elderly people leaving when I arrived (Reckon they voted Labour). One person rushed in and out whilst I was there (reckon they voted Labour too). One person arrived as I was leaving (Reckon they'll vote Labour).

Prediction for my seat is a Labour HOLD.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Turnout not very brisk in East Surrey this lunchtime. Plenty of folks around town shopping and having coffee, but wife and I were the only people voting.
  • Options
    Jason said:

DeadBattery?

In all seriousness, I do hope you’d realise I’d take it in good grace if I am wrong.
  • Options

All the best.
    And you CHB
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    I hope Bojo has trolled Neil today and phoned to offer him an interview
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Or the Labour GOTV is not working.
  • Options
    Any info regarding Boris's seat?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    nico67 said:

Very true about lack of brexit interest in France. My colleagues and even my wife are so fed up they just want to kick us out. My wife got partly Brexit Party on a "who to vote for" test because she's so sick of us titting about (she's very much pro EU generally, just wants us gone). Can't speak for other European countries but the French will not be particularly sorrowful on January 31st.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    just checking, is it OK to share turnout information passed on from polling station staff to candidates?
  • Options

Jason said:

DeadBattery?

In all seriousness, I do hope you’d realise I’d take it in good grace if I am wrong.
    InaccurateCounterBattery ?
  • Options
    Jason said:

It’s Uxbridge i think. West London anyway.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Foxy said:

A visit from @HYUFD is very effective at getting out the Remainer vote...
    Cruel. 😆
    HY has been very honest in how tight he had been finding it.
  • Options

Jason said:

DeadBattery?

Indeed. Life will go on, regardless.
  • Options

Jason said:

Ho ho ho.
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    nico67 said:

They should have portrayed themselves as the moderate choice but their revoke position looks a bit extremist even for some Remainers.

This, I think, is key. As a right of centre person I've always regarded the LibDems (and predecessors) as "the sensible ones", the party that could stand between the extremes that the two larger parties occasionally drift off to. The not-too-hot, not-too-cold porridge party.

But this "revoke" stance has made me call into question their entire ethos and not just their approach to Brexit. I do wonder if it'll do long term damage to their reputation amongst the moderate Tories and Labour supporters they'd normally appeal to.

Having said that, they'll now probably go on to win 30+ seats tonight and confound us all :-)

WillS.
  • Options
    RobinWiggsRobinWiggs Posts: 621
    edited December 2019
    You can tell little from the fervent rumours during the day. It may be correct, it may not. Posters all have a reason for tweeting their thoughts.

Far better to wait for anecdotes on here from people we know and trust, or who we know are connected to party operations and might legitimately have some insights.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

No.

If I understand the origin of your name correctly, you can choose whatever you like provided it is at least 15 digits long and has one upper case letter, one lower case, one number and a punctuation mark.
    I think it's four words, all lower case letters, to make it easy to remember
    https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,469
    edited December 2019
    Relentless rain in Birmingham, although it's not heavy so far.
  • Options

Jason said:

:smile:
  • Options
    Freggles said:

just checking, is it OK to share turnout information passed on from polling station staff to candidates?

As party tellers can work work it out themselves I would have thought so unless there is a rule against it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Jason said:

DeadBattery?

You are all very mean to Mr Battery! He might be right, although I hope not. Remember Plato and Trump.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited December 2019
    It is raining quite heavily in the desolate North.

Not seen anyone whippet racing, if they won’t race whippets in this weather then they won’t go out and vote either.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited December 2019
    It's in their interests to crate a panic. In short, know one knows what is going on, anywhere any of the time. It'll all come out at 10pm....
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Jason said:

DeadBattery?

You are all very mean to Mr Battery! He might be right, although I hope not. Remember Plato and Trump.
    The suggestion was more for the pun than out of any malicious intent.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,629

viewcode said:

No.

I think it's four words, all lower case letters, to make it easy to remember
    https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png
    thatwasmypoint

:)
  • Options
    Charles said:

My son was similarly conflicted with his first vote - disliking both leaders in our tight marginal of Alyn & Deeside. I advised him to look at the teams around the leader for competence, and the need for a stable government to do other stuff that wasn't Brexit.

In those terms he thought it was a clear indication to vote Conservative - the thought of Abbott, Burgon Gardiner and McDonnell in offices of state was a worry for him in a way that Gove, Javid, etc weren't.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Jason said:

DeadBattery?

By adopting the name IncorrectHorseBattery.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Charles said:

All this Boris hate. He did a fine job as London mayor. Decent start as PM
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited December 2019

nico67 said:

Very true about lack of brexit interest in France. My colleagues and even my wife are so fed up they just want to kick us out. My wife got partly Brexit Party on a "who to vote for" test because she's so sick of us titting about (she's very much pro EU generally, just wants us gone). Can't speak for other European countries but the French will not be particularly sorrowful on January 31st.
    True, I also think that for Macron he sees Brexit as a way to increase France’s influence and standing both in Europe and globally .

I think he feels the UK will become diminished on the world stage which I agree will happen .
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Sam Tarry is going to absolubtely crush Gapes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Nigelb said:
    Spiteful bastards.....
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    These turnout queues are staggering and they are looking like mainly young voters. If I remember the polling turnout figures had more moderate turnout figures. This could be very close.
This discussion has been closed.