Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson gets his wish. The irony is that Jo Swinson made

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    What the actual fuck? Are they anticipating unexpected losses? Surely only Plaid could win that one off them?
  • Options
    Ruth has a face like a slapped haggis on ITV. Alan Johnson - articulate but destroyed. Little Jo Johnson: probably looking to re-establish himself in the New Era.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708
    Pro_Rata said:

Andrew said:

Foxy said:

Assuming the poll is accurate, which of the Labour leadership candidates will be getting their P45?

How safe are Podcock, Long Bailey and Rayner?

Pidcock is gone. Long Bailey will be fine though, she had a mammoth majority.

Rayner might be close. 63% leave.
    Rayner should be OK, I'd think. Stalybridge & Hyde might fall though, against my expectation.
    What about Swinson?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Pulpstar said:

Inverclyde bet looks safe anyway, 11% not enough for the Tories in Miliband or Barnsley Central I think

"I think" lol
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    This is the result we should have had in 2017
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

@FrancisUrquhart are you ready?

No, BBC have totally changed their results page. Working on it now.
    I'll just imagine a tweek gif at the end of this post. :p
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Alistair said:

SNP seat line down to 54.5 on Betfair.

Act fast.

I agree. There is money here. I suspect Tory seats will stick in Scotland, SNP high 40s.
    I suspect the LDs will hold one Scottish seat, probably O&S. But I might be wrong, of course.
    Betfair have the SNP seat line at 54.5, there is incredible value there. I am maxed out.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981

Laura K, rumour that Tories win Hemsworth.....

They need a swing of just over 11%, if they win that then indeed it's a Conservative Landslide.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Me likewise::

Fair play to rcs100. Impressive
  • Options
    ITV went to EU correspondence, saying the EU thought that the UK would come to their senses and vote to block Brexit. They don't understand the British people very well.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123

Fair play to Malc if the exit poll is close to the numbers, I think he was the only indy supporter on here that was bullish about the SNP's chances.

Yepp.

Credit where credit is due.

(I said 41. Doh!)
    So did I. It has really spoiled a good result for me. No point pretending otherwise.
  • Options

Fair play to Malc if the exit poll is close to the numbers, I think he was the only indy supporter on here that was bullish about the SNP's chances.

Yepp.

(I said 41. Doh!)
    My 45 also look anemic.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited December 2019

matt said:

I

rcs1000 said:

Con 100 majority and Scotland gone would be a perfect storm.

RIP Corbynism.

Thank you and goodnight Swinson.

Be careful what you wish for, the next LD leader is less likely to be incompetent.
    Good! I want a sensible LD Party. The Tories will have been in power the better part of a decade and a half already and we need an opposition to hold us to account - and a sane opposition to take over when we fall.

If Corbynistas refuse to let their grip go of the Labour Party over this then this country needs a strong Lib Dem Party to challenge them on the left.
    I want the Liberal party program of 1911 -

1) Social insurance for all.
    2) Social justice and equality.
    3) Free trade expanded though out the Empire/Commonwelath
    4) Sensible spending plans balanced against taxation.
    5) A commitment to build twice as many Dreadnoughts as the German Navy.
    We want 8 and we won’t wait. But what will we do with all those fleet carriers?
    A fellow historian. Makes you wonder if the new QE class will serve as long and as well as the ones that Churchill laid down. It must have been strange to watch them go to the the breakers, for him, in 1948.
    The history of HMS Vanguard is telling.

A job as a professional historian btw. Long in the past though.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    murali_s said:

PB Tories - congrats. Enjoy the night!

I did predict a Tory majority but slightly undercooked the numbers!

Corbyn has been a disaster - an utter disaster!! Corbyn, McDonnell and McCluskey need to go as soon as possible!

I am sad, very sad. We will now Brexit and quite likely leave the EU via a hard Brexit. Corbyn has been an accomplice to that. Shame on him!

Progressive politics as well as the Union is in tatters.

Scotland to go indy in 2021/22 for sure.

Commiserations Murali. But the left can be back sooner than you fear. Boris is not winning because the country as a whole has a huge appetite for right-of-centre politics, but because so many found the alternative unpalatable.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    Amazing to see the hypocrisy of Tory Leavers on here queuing up to say Scotland should not be allowed a 2nd referendum.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,504
    Bearing in mind that the last 2 exit polls have underestimated the Tory majority by a dozen or so seats, the 15 on BFEx for the 380-389 band looks good value. I have topped up.
  • Options

Has Dom wargamed this?

He wargamed first an agreement with the Brexit Party, then having them for breakfast, while Jo and Jeremy seemed to have deludedly thought they didn't need each other.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    LOL - my son asks if tories really going to win because his Corbynista mates are saying it will be a Labour minority government - LOOOL
  • Options
    Yokes said:

This is on the same boundaries as 2017 right?

The same as 2005.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

ITV went to EU correspondence, saying the EU thought that the UK would come to their senses and vote to block Brexit. They don't understand the British people very well.

More accurately, the British people don’t understand the EU very well
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    Artist said:

First seat Blyth Valley could be close?

The original MRP figures for Blyth Valley was as follows:

Lab 43%
    Con 37%
    BRX 11%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%

That was based on national figures of Con 43%, Lab 32%.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Ruth Davidson !!

Tried to set an unrealistically high bat for the SNP. Got tripped up by her own cleverness.
    Ruth is many things, but clever isn’t one of them.

Greedy, mendacious, double-dealing, indecisive and counterproductive. But clever? No.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

10.01 was the moment after nearly four years it will have sunk in with the EU we are leaving. Slow learners.
  • Options
    In 72 hours the people who voted Tory won’t care they carry on with their lives.

Old people have ruined the lives of young people.

We need a press that is independent not totally corrupt and bent to pander to one party.

It’s done. The country is in a terrible terrible place.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    BBC think Blyth Valley might be first to declare.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is the result we should have had in 2017

Yep. If only.
  • Options

Amazing to see the hypocrisy of Tory Leavers on here queuing up to say Scotland should not be allowed a 2nd referendum.

There's no way Scotland won't leave on these numbers, not least because a lot of English Brexiters buy into that as part of the package.
  • Options

Laura K, rumour that Tories win Hemsworth.....

Wow
  • Options
    If it goes to a recount... :o
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

What?

I said there shouldn't be a 2nd EU referendum

I say there shouldn't be a 2nd indy referendum

They are votes for a generation.

It's entirely consistent,
  • Options
    Floater said:

LOL - my son asks if tories really going to win because his Corbynista mates are saying it will be a Labour minority government - LOOOL

It wasn’t a political party. It was a cult.

I’m not even sure such an utter disaster is enough to kill it.
  • Options

Yes, the Scottish should get to choose. Once per SNP majority seems fair.
  • Options
    RobD said:

LAB: worst result since 1935 (BBC).

Happy times.
    Nope. The 1930s were not happy times.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

So, the LDs are forecast to lose four in Scotland. That means they're only expected to lose one of their three English Leave seats: Carshalton, North Norfolk and Eastbourne.

Of those, NN is clearly the most vulnerable given the popular incumbent is stepping down. But it's not impossible, of course, that they lose more than one of these.
    Remember that the exit poll is a lot cruder than the MRP. It may be good at forecasting the overall national position but isn’t necessarily going to be able to pick and choose between individual third party gains and losses
    If the LDs go right back to 1 in Scotland then it doesn't necessarily imply their holding Leave seats in England. They could lose the lot and make up with gains elsewhere. St Albans, Cheltenham, Richmond Park and Sheffield Hallam all look likely targets. Other possibilities include WImbledon and Lewes.

I believe that the BBC is planning to stick individual projections a la the MRP up on their website at some point this evening? Then we'd be able to see where they think the Lib Dems are going to go forwards and backwards tonight.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

In 72 hours the people who voted Tory won’t care they carry on with their lives.

We need a press that is independent not totally corrupt and bent to pander to one party.

Oh! You're still here. Please do stick around.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    ydoethur said:

What the actual fuck? Are they anticipating unexpected losses? Surely only Plaid could win that one off them?
    I can't believe the Tories could win Blaenau Gwent. That would be like a 1931 result.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    ydoethur said:

Floater said:

It wasn’t a political party. It was a cult.

I’m not even sure such an utter disaster is enough to kill it.
    It needs to die for the UK to evolve.
  • Options

The SNP said it would be a once in a generation opportunity in 2014.
  • Options
    How could the MRP be so wrong?
  • Options

What hypocrisy? They've argued the UK shouldn't have a second Brexit referendum - don't keep holding referendums until you get the result you want.
  • Options

I'm a leaver - I said good luck to them if that is what they want
  • Options
    Totally true... if Corbyn had stuck to his lifelong leave beliefs in 2016 he would have been the brexit prime minister. The urban graduate Labour elite ignored the Labour leave areas in the belief they had nowhere else to go.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

More accurately still, the EU probably doesn’t fully appreciate how our voting system can translate a minority vote into majority power.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    Stocky said:

Pro_Rata said:

Andrew said:

Foxy said:

Assuming the poll is accurate, which of the Labour leadership candidates will be getting their P45?

How safe are Podcock, Long Bailey and Rayner?

Pidcock is gone. Long Bailey will be fine though, she had a mammoth majority.

Rayner might be close. 63% leave.
    Rayner should be OK, I'd think. Stalybridge & Hyde might fall though, against my expectation.
    What about Swinson?
    That 4 Scottish losses info doesn't sound good.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Big rule in modern UK / US politics: You have to win at your first shot.

White working class are pissed!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    ydoethur said:

Blaenau Gwent, has, of course, gone non-Labour in the relatively recent past. Doesn't strike me as an obviously Plaid-y valley, mind,
  • Options

Swingback
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Why is nobody talking about the really shocking number in the BBC's exit poll???

Others: 22

Northern Ireland is 18
    Speaker is another

That woman in East Devon is one...

Who are the other two? Could it be Dominic Grieve? Or another TIGGERorwhatevertheyrenowcalled? Or who???
  • Options

Any word from Centrist Phone? Perhaps a sign error in his re-weighting.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Cookie said:

If Robert Smithson is around, well done. Also while I was terrifying myself because JCIPM seemed inevitable, it was good to have a sane and detached voice from outside pointing out the realities to have some hope to hang on to.

So BJIPM. I can't say I'm looking forward to the prospect with untrammelled joy, but I'm much happier with this result than Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister.
    Now please can we have a left-of-centre party that people can vote for?

There needs to be a competent opposition. In Labour's hands, if not .....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Why is nobody talking about the really shocking number in the BBC's exit poll???

Others: 22

Northern Ireland is 18
    Speaker is another

That woman in East Devon is one...

Who are the other two? Could it be Dominic Grieve? Or another TIGGERorwhatevertheyrenowcalled? Or who???

Oh, I'm an idiot.

It's Plaid Cymru.
  • Options
    Mr. Pointer, hypocrisy?

Wanting both referendum results to stand seems entirely consistent.

Wanting it to be a once in a generation decision was also SNP policy, until the Scots had the temerity to vote against the SNP's preference.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Hello, it's BluerBluer - got weirdly stuck in "Applicant" role in my other account and was unable to post.

What a night, eh?
  • Options
    SNP are 99% to gain Banf according to the Exit Poll.
    That was 48% Conservative in 2017.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

I can't believe the Tories could win Blaenau Gwent. That would be like a 1931 result.
    I don’t think they won Blaenau Gwent in 1931! In fact, Labour were not opposed in Abertillery and Ebbw Vale!
  • Options

The first one was pretty good, as it was in 2017.
  • Options

Hello, it's BluerBluer - got weirdly stuck in "Applicant" role in my other account and was unable to post.

What a night, eh?

Appropriate new name. :)
  • Options
    Newcastle will be close
  • Options
    I mean to be being 1st declare
  • Options
    Labour projected to be down 17% in Sunderland South. 11% swing!
  • Options

If the LDs go right back to 1 in Scotland then it doesn't necessarily imply their holding Leave seats in England. They could lose the lot and make up with gains elsewhere. St Albans, Cheltenham, Richmond Park and Sheffield Hallam all look likely targets. Other possibilities include WImbledon and Lewes.

I don't think Lewes is in reach for them.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

So, the LDs are forecast to lose four in Scotland. That means they're only expected to lose one of their three English Leave seats: Carshalton, North Norfolk and Eastbourne.

Of those, NN is clearly the most vulnerable given the popular incumbent is stepping down. But it's not impossible, of course, that they lose more than one of these.
    Remember that the exit poll is a lot cruder than the MRP. It may be good at forecasting the overall national position but isn’t necessarily going to be able to pick and choose between individual third party gains and losses

I believe that the BBC is planning to stick individual projections a la the MRP up on their website at some point this evening? Then we'd be able to see where they think the Lib Dems are going to go forwards and backwards tonight.
    But whereas the MRP does have both sample data and demographic modelling for every single seat, the BBC is reliant on a relatively small sample of polling stations in a minority of seats, and extrapolation. That shouldn’t be as accurate at mapping the geography as the MRP.
  • Options
    Where is there a per constituency result on the BBC?
  • Options

We've not had the results in yet, so it might be right, plus there may have been late swing back to the Tories yesterday and today.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Don't know why we need projections when results are imminent.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    So if they are exceeding the Yougov poll what are we looking for in Sunderland?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Much of the polling has been.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Blaenau Gwent, has, of course, gone non-Labour in the relatively recent past. Doesn't strike me as an obviously Plaid-y valley, mind,
    Peter Law was Labour through and through. He just wasn’t backed by the party machine.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    11% swing at Newcastle Central from Labour.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

They forecast five LD losses, of which four are in Scotland. Which is odd, because I'd have reckoned the LD chance of winning O&S was much greater than Eastbourne.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Think BBC have overdone the seat projections in Newcastle, Houghton
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913
    Lots of 11% swings on bbc projected. Would make Sunderland central hyper marginal
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

BBC think Blyth Valley might be first to declare.

Tory Gain?
  • Options
    Any sign the BBC have posted the ful exit poll results yet?
  • Options
    Welcome back, Mr. Blue.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

This election should've been an open goal for the soft Left. Labour's dreadful leadership and its laughable manifesto has done this.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Projected same swing in 50/50 and more Leave-y seats.. :o
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708

Much of the polling has been.
    MRP was about right the first time.
  • Options
    11% swing expected in both Newcastle Central and Houghton.

Blyth Valley requires a 9.4% swing for the Tories to win.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    dr_spyn said:

11% swing at Newcastle Central from Labour.

11% swing Labour to Con in Remain-voting Newcastle....
  • Options

I don't think Lewes is in reach for them.
    What a shame Parliament will lose Zac Goldsmith.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Yepp.

(I said 41. Doh!)
    So did I. It has really spoiled a good result for me. No point pretending otherwise.
    Your honesty does you credit.

I’ve experienced crushing electoral defeats before, and it is always best to acknowledge the sadness and loss and just roll up your sleeves and get back to work.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Labour projected to be down 17% in Sunderland South. 11% swing!

Will be a bloodbath in the North East if that type of result is common.
  • Options

murali_s said:

PB Tories - congrats. Enjoy the night!

I did predict a Tory majority but slightly undercooked the numbers!

Corbyn has been a disaster - an utter disaster!! Corbyn, McDonnell and McCluskey need to go as soon as possible!

I am sad, very sad. We will now Brexit and quite likely leave the EU via a hard Brexit. Corbyn has been an accomplice to that. Shame on him!

Progressive politics as well as the Union is in tatters.

Scotland to go indy in 2021/22 for sure.

Very generous of you and labour need to move away from Corbyn and his associates
    Yes. We need Labour to be a competent, sensible opposition because it will keep the Tories honest. I am not joking.
    WE certainly need a decent opposition
  • Options
    So, if the election had been held on the 9th, how would things have changed?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    IanB2 said:

More accurately still, the EU probably doesn’t fully appreciate how our voting system can translate a minority vote into majority power.
    In fairness, it is more likely that British European correspondents do not understand the EU, e.g., Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    labour in Gower are saying that they are getting more support in the posher areas, and losing support in their more traditional working-class areas.
    Losing support because of Brexit and Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Johnson was able to unite the Brexit vote behind him and Corbyn prevented the remain vote uniting behind anyone. The election in a nutshell.
  • Options
    Let's see how the first result ia
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Can somebody take Barnesian's shoe laces and belt please?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    "Blyth Valley
    Too close to forecast winning party
    56% chance of Conservative gain, 44% chance of Labour hold"
  • Options
    Sunderland Central is projected to be close.
    Houghton is projected as a Labour hold.

So we will see if the early result conform wih these.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    BBC exit polls projection - CON gain Blyth Valley?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Canterbury 88% chance of a Tory gain.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    E dunbartonshire odds (skybet, bet 365 have markets, BFX very thin and lumpy):

Swinson 1.62, SNP 2.2
This discussion has been closed.