Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris Johnson gets his wish. The irony is that Jo Swinson made

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Amazing to see the hypocrisy of Tory Leavers on here queuing up to say Scotland should not be allowed a 2nd referendum.

What hypocrisy? They've argued the UK shouldn't have a second Brexit referendum - don't keep holding referendums until you get the result you want.
    Until the cows come home.

https://twitter.com/UK_Together/status/506899714923843584?s=20
    "Once in a lifetime"

Not "off the cuff remark" - but in the SNP Government White Paper.
    Loads of people have been born since 2014.
  • Options
    Well I've been in the pub with the leader of a major national political party, and can report that Howling Laud Hope isn't confident about retaining his deposit. Now home to hopefully watch Labour carnage on the telly.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    Andy_JS said:

BBC journalist at Inverness count absolutely dripping with hatred for SNP. They never learn.

Do you expect the 55 figure to be correct?
    It may be an underestimate...
  • Options
    Both SNP and SLAB say that the Exit Poll is WRONG.
  • Options
    Benn's Surrender Act hasn't aged well
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,549
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

BBC journalist at Inverness count absolutely dripping with hatred for SNP. They never learn.

It may be an underestimate...
    It may be.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,709
    Cookie said:

Jesus, lots and lots of these are TCTC. We're not out of the woods yet!
    If TCTC means what it does in the US, they're about 55/45 IIRC. It's not that close
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited December 2019

How could the MRP be so wrong?

Possibility 1: they got the turnout weighting wrong for ex Labour Leavers.
    2: people say the prediction and changes their votes/decided to vote after all.
    3: they didn’t and the Exit Poll is wrong (this is the least likely I think).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    GIN1138 said:

Taking a lot longer than usual to get the first results. Turnout must be very high...

The yoof.
  • Options
    Dumfries and Galloway 53% chance SNP gain!!!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,952
    96% chance of an Independent gain in Devon East.
  • Options
    Lewis Goodall says Pidders in in the shit in NW Durham, lads.
  • Options
    Mr. EPG, leaving the UK would've entailed leaving the EU. It's deranged to argue that leaving the EU is therefore so unacceptable it becomes an argument to leave the UK.

Leaving the EU was SNP policy, as a price they thought worth paying for leaving the UK.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Alistair said:

Amazing to see the hypocrisy of Tory Leavers on here queuing up to say Scotland should not be allowed a 2nd referendum.

What hypocrisy? They've argued the UK shouldn't have a second Brexit referendum - don't keep holding referendums until you get the result you want.

"Once in a lifetime"

Not so many voters though.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Evening folks

back off the beer train.

First up I am of course massively relieved. Hopefully this is the end of Corbyn and the start of the post-Brexit process. I can't help but be pleased.

But just as after the referendum I said the Leave side should reach out to the Remainers, right now I think we should be showing some understanding and empathy for the Labour and Lib Dem supporters on here. They are half or more of what makes this site such a great place to be and I count some of them as genuine friends or people I admire greatly. At some point in the future the Right will suffer in the way the Left are suffering tonight so some real humility is both appropriate and expected.

My hope - perhaps vain - is that this majority will mean Boris is not in hock to the ERG types and will pursue a reasonable Brexit policy. I also hope we will now see the return of the London Mayor Boris rather than the Tory leader Boris.

Whether or not it happens I don't know but I wish everyone a good evening which ever side you are on.

Great post. 100% agree with all of it.
  • Options
    Richmond Park 99+% chance LD gain
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Looks like my step-son's girlfriend will be elected as MP for Luton South. (Her father is Kelvin Hopkins, the former Labour MP. Nepotism alive and well in Labour!)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

So, the LDs are forecast to lose four in Scotland. That means they're only expected to lose one of their three English Leave seats: Carshalton, North Norfolk and Eastbourne.

Of those, NN is clearly the most vulnerable given the popular incumbent is stepping down. But it's not impossible, of course, that they lose more than one of these.
    Remember that the exit poll is a lot cruder than the MRP. It may be good at forecasting the overall national position but isn’t necessarily going to be able to pick and choose between individual third party gains and losses
    If the LDs go right back to 1 in Scotland then it doesn't necessarily imply their holding Leave seats in England. They could lose the lot and make up with gains elsewhere. St Albans, Cheltenham, Richmond Park and Sheffield Hallam all look likely targets. Other possibilities include WImbledon and Lewes.

I believe that the BBC is planning to stick individual projections a la the MRP up on their website at some point this evening? Then we'd be able to see where they think the Lib Dems are going to go forwards and backwards tonight.
    They forecast five LD losses, of which four are in Scotland. Which is odd, because I'd have reckoned the LD chance of winning O&S was much greater than Eastbourne.
    The SNP recently spent 99K in the Holyrood by-election in Shetland - they will have practically a full Shetland canvass. Cheers, Tavish.
  • Options
    Aberdeenshire West & Kincardine 88% chance SNP take it!
  • Options
    Mr. Dickson, can't speak of Scottish seats, but I do wonder about the exit poll. Time will soon tell, but I was pretty surprised.
  • Options

Yay! Could never be friends with a Tory was a ridiculous position.
  • Options

speedy2 said:

Orkney is a possible SNP gain according to the Exit Poll.
    That doesn't feel correct.

Bizarre. Don’t believe it for a second.

But Caithness...
    Caithness is a definite, from what I hear.
  • Options
    St Ives: 52% Con, 48% LD chance

I don't think I buy that.
  • Options
    "Durham NW — 52% chance of Tory gain"
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Banterman said:

We told Parliament what we wanted. They lied and said they would do it. Now they have been told big time.
  • Options
    Norfolk North 91% chance LD hold. Allegedly.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    viewcode said:

Remainers have been outplayed. Shambolic antics for the last 3 years. Could have accepted May's deal...

Indeed. And indeed. Swinson and Corbyn voted for the election. Everybody goes off to was whistling Dixie in the sun. Everybody comes home in the dark in tears. Silly people.
    It started to go wrong for Remainers in March.
    Oliver Letwin master genius.

Is there any doubt that Remain would have lost a seccond referendum.
  • Options
    East Lothian 99%+ SNP gain from SLAB
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Well that's at least one that was more predictable, if so.
  • Options
    "Batley & Spen: 72% chance of Tory gain."
  • Options

One or the other, you can't have both.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Well that's at least one that was more predictable, if so.
    Yes, I think it may well be the safest LD seat in the country.
  • Options
    Stockton South. I'm expecting a WHOPPING Tory majority.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Interesting, unexpected.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yay! Could never be friends with a Tory was a ridiculous position.
    I'm not a Tory but members of my family are, it is patently the position of someone who thinks like a child.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I was mocked last week for forecasting NN as a LD hold :)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

No.
  • Options

What are the 4 SNP misses expected to be? I'm guessing the 3 border seats plus WA&K.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,002

Mr. EPG, leaving the UK would've entailed leaving the EU. It's deranged to argue that leaving the EU is therefore so unacceptable it becomes an argument to leave the UK.

Leaving the EU was SNP policy, as a price they thought worth paying for leaving the UK.

Leaving the EU was not SNP policy, but a scare line promulgated by the nationalist right. It worked, of course, same way it worked when they promulgated the opposite line to England. Cummings and chums always convince angry people to give up power and trust the already-powerful. It is their metier.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    The exit poll has Sunderland Central as only a 60% chance of a hold for Labour. Britain Elects reporting LD sources saying Labour has survived, but probably only because of the Brexit Party.

If we get Tory gains or close Labour wins in places like Blyth Valley and Sunderland Central then we can probably already say that the exit poll is doing its job well.
  • Options
    Eastbourne 66% chance LD hold.
  • Options
    Recalibrating my model to match the exit poll, Blyth Valley could well be a Tory gain. I have it as Labour 2pp ahead, too close to call.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940

Looks like my step-son's girlfriend will be elected as MP for Luton South. (Her father is Kelvin Hopkins, the former Labour MP. Nepotism alive and well in Labour!)

You could be more gracious to your own daughter-in-law!
  • Options
    Westmoreland & Lonsdale just a 56% chance of an LD hold.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    viewcode said:

Remainers have been outplayed. Shambolic antics for the last 3 years. Could have accepted May's deal...

Indeed. And indeed. Swinson and Corbyn voted for the election. Everybody goes off to was whistling Dixie in the sun. Everybody comes home in the dark in tears. Silly people.
    What I never understood was the belief that Remainers stalling Brexit would somehow cause people to blame Boris/Leavers. Fine, you don't want Brexit. Fine, you don't have the actual guts to try and vote it down in the Commons. Fine, you use every other thing you can think of to delay, delay, delay. But why should anyone think that you aren't involved, somehow?
  • Options
    What a lovely, lovely day.
  • Options
    Orkeny and Shetland is 81% chance the SNP take it.

Already the under 54.5 line looks incredible. I am limited, many of you will not be. Pile on, this is the bet of the night.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Evening folks

back off the beer train.

First up I am of course massively relieved. Hopefully this is the end of Corbyn and the start of the post-Brexit process. I can't help but be pleased.

But just as after the referendum I said the Leave side should reach out to the Remainers, right now I think we should be showing some understanding and empathy for the Labour and Lib Dem supporters on here. They are half or more of what makes this site such a great place to be and I count some of them as genuine friends or people I admire greatly. At some point in the future the Right will suffer in the way the Left are suffering tonight so some real humility is both appropriate and expected.

My hope - perhaps vain - is that this majority will mean Boris is not in hock to the ERG types and will pursue a reasonable Brexit policy. I also hope we will now see the return of the London Mayor Boris rather than the Tory leader Boris.

Whether or not it happens I don't know but I wish everyone a good evening which ever side you are on.

+1
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

viewcode said:

Still fighting my lonely battle to make "letwin" a verb.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

viewcode said:

Nah, the fight was worth it. The Tories wholly own Brexit now, they cannot say they were forced to BINO.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

We josh about politics!
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Things moving so fast. Wonder if Yvette Cooper is safe
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Labour say they probably held Wakefield, which is 99+ CON Gain in the Exit Poll.
  • Options

Were you up for Piddock?
  • Options
    St Albans 59% chance LD gain
    Winchester 63% chance LD gain

Guildford 99% chance Con hold
  • Options
    Labour think they've just held on in Hemsworth
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

One or the other, you can't have both.
    I don’t have either!

Dinnae shoot the messenger.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

viewcode said:

Yes. It's obvious that a divided remain vote is weaker than one where the Brexit Party and UKIP have been assimilated.
  • Options
    Carshalton 65% chance of Con gain from LD
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    We want results!
  • Options
    No, fuck it the Exit poll in Scotland is WRONG

Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk 45% chance the SNP take it, 55% chance Cons hold.

Too close to call.

Fuck off. Now way, no how.

Pile on Betfair. Pile on.
  • Options
    Edinburgh West declares 03:45. Christine Jardine sounds like she knows she has lost.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

"Once in a lifetime"

And none of them can vote yet. Let's wait until they can?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    BBC has Labour winning Cities af L & W??
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Stockton South. I'm expecting a WHOPPING Tory majority.

What sort of swing?
  • Options

We josh about politics!
    Ha! Fair enough.

Congrats on the victory (nationwide) anyway.

Labour have lots of thinking to do!
  • Options
    Sheffield Hallam 86% chance LD gain
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Labour think they've just held on in Hemsworth

Labour since 1910.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Exit Poll has got lots of individual seats wrong in past - while getting overall result very close to correct.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited December 2019
    Real life information is quickly superceding the exit poll projections. I'm sure it'll be broadly accurate overall.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

We want results!

Na. I think i'll take the 86 majority on the exit poll. :p
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Banterman said:

We told Parliament what we wanted. They lied and said they would do it. Now they have been told big time.
    Yep.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    DavidL said:

Banterman said:

That Labour position not looking so genius now is it
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk 45% chance the SNP take it, 55% chance Cons hold.

Too close to call.

I live in BRS, and it would be astonishing if Lamont lost (and I voted for Calum Kerr).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Eastbourne 66% chance LD hold.

Stephen Lloyd telling a constituent to f**k off on camera the other day obviously went down quite well with voters there.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,002
    I am sure Boris will take his 100-seat majority as a message to show humility and stop aggressively seeking a right-wing American alignment while defunding public media and importing crappy US food.
  • Options
    There are a lot of WTF results in the BBC exit poll.

Finchley & Golders Green

Orkney & Shetland

Cities of London & Westminster

among others
  • Options
    Potential recount in Blyth Valley
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Too close to call.

Pile on who?
  • Options
    :o i've just remembered... this means no more FTPA :o
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Looks as if the knives are being sharpened by Labour MPs.

Flint not happy.

Blyth Valley recount - BBC
  • Options

speedy2 said:

viewcode said:

Yes. It's obvious that a divided remain vote is weaker than one where the Brexit Party and UKIP have been assimilated.
    If the exit poll is correct the opinion polls have underestimated the Conservative lead by 4% on average.
    That underestimation would produce another 52/48 for Leave.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    speedy2 said:

viewcode said:

In basic human terms as soon as the anger starting rising against parliament and its dirty tricks, the public were always going to vote for the person who said 'fuck this, I'm going to put an end to it'.

Corbyn was offering more of it.
  • Options
    Mr. EPG, leaving the UK entailed leaving the EU. A theoretically separate Scotland would then need to apply to for EU membership, if it so wished.

Pretending otherwise is as credible as pretending a separated Scotland could, as of right, demand and get a currency union with England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Stocky said:

BBC has Labour winning Cities af L & W??

That would surely have to be the result of gigantic youth turnout, which may have misled us earlier on.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    edited December 2019
    Im going to suggest that the Conservative seat tally will be less than predicted.

*Ducks*...
  • Options
    Should we not have had about 3 results by now?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Bristol NW too close to call. Was expected to be a comfortable Labour hold.

I`m on Tories - one of my biggest constituency bets.

If the polls are right, SNP are going to spoil my bets overall though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

I also pointed out a number of reasons why it might well be an LD hold. But let's wait and see before we pat ourselves on the back.
  • Options
    Don't get me Wrong. If John Lamont was to lose I would laugh for weeks even as I needed to take out a payday loan to cover my loses.

But it isn't going to happen.
  • Options
    Where is the specific constituency predictions on BBC? Can't find it on their website.
  • Options
    RobD said:

:o i've just remembered... this means no more FTPA :o

Just REJOICE at that news!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

If they're holding practically everything south of the border *AND* the exit poll is right, then that implies very few gains. Maybe it will just be Richmond Park, St Albans, Sheffield Hallam and... Finchley?! Apparently Luciana has a 6/10 chance of getting home. There's also a 6/10 chance of the Tories losing CoLaW - to Labour. There's some weird stuff going on at individual constituency level in this projection!
  • Options
    Ultra-marginal North East Fife (SNP Maj 2) is predicted to be “one of the safest seats in Scotland “ (BBC)

I’m beginning to think that this Exit Poll is pants.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Looks as if the knives are being sharpened by Labour MPs.

Flint not happy.

Blyth Valley recount - BBC

Flint is on the dole tommorow. Her position lost both sides.
  • Options
    Uh oh, Francois....
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    If blythe valley is close...Labour are buggered, surely?
This discussion has been closed.