Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first results sees the red wall penetrated

Comments

• Options

Osborne and Balls are far better than the other channels.

Quite agree. Fascinating that Ozzy predicts that Boris will be a big-state, high-regulation interventionist.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited December 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Can we all have a few minutes silence for Sir John Major, who took a landslide and delivered a barely workable majority. And how miserable he must be at Boris taking a minority government and on the cusp of delivering an 80 seat majority.

Let's not forget, though, that Boris has been lucky in his enemies.

Major vs Corbyn would have been a stonking Conservative majority.
    You only need to look at Scotland to see that Boris was beatable.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Swindon North should be a marginal. Not any more.
  • Options

I’m on Angela Rayner for next LAB leader, and I think Gareth Snell’s comment there will be echoed a few times more.

Looking at tonight’s outcome, it can’t be a full-on remainer. Lay Starmer, Back Rayner. That’s my advice.

That assumes Rayner will win her seat.
    When I quoted that Edwina Currie tweet last weekend, and everyone was scathing... ;)
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Swindon N very dodgy result for LAB +7% swing Plymouth Sutton and that Bristol seat where Charlotte Leslie was could be back!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Andy_JS said:

Labour's spending proposals were a bit insulting to anyone over the age of about 15.

Unless you were a middle class WASPI woman.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Anyone with half a brain will be hoping Labour is destroyed totally tonight. Corbyn and co have allowed the Tories in to destroy the British constitution. Labour deserves to die for what it has enabled.

So then what... A one party state?
    Nature abhors a vaccuum. If Labour dies something else will arise like a Phoenix from its ashes.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019
    Swindon swing 7.5%
  • Options
    This is going to be utterly brutal for labour yee gods.
  • Options
    Swindon North!
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Swindon swing 7%

So no difference between North and South? :p
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Can we all have a few minutes silence for Sir John Major, who took a landslide and delivered a barely workable majority. And how miserable he must be at Boris taking a minority government and on the cusp of delivering an 80 seat majority.

You say that but May failed. This is the result she should have got.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

Jonathan said:

None of this is a surprise. Labour members own it entirely. They were told time and again. They did not listen. They should hang their heads in shame.

Note, some Labour members fought this and tried damned hard to fix it despite being called 'Red Tory Scum'.
    Time to break away, The SDP are back up and running these days. Big demand for a socially conservative, economically liberal party in the country.
    The current SDP is not a home for the Blair wing of the Labour party.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Isn't Swindon just about the most neutral place in the country ?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Whoa. Mrs C used to work in Swindon North. It was a marginal then.
  • Options
    Belfast South : Panelist says Claire Hanna will win and there's no alliance surge in that constituency.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Andy_JS said:

Swindon North:

Con 32,584
    Lab 16,413
    LD 4,408
    Grn 1,710

Honda area?
    Yep
  • Options
    Average swing after 7 results: 7.5%
    Swingometer says majority of 116.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

I’m on Angela Rayner for next LAB leader, and I think Gareth Snell’s comment there will be echoed a few times more.

Looking at tonight’s outcome, it can’t be a full-on remainer. Lay Starmer, Back Rayner. That’s my advice.

I agree. Rayner has been clever, perhaps by inclination rather than ambition, close to Corbyn, not a Remainer die hard, but not too close...
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Andy_JS said:

Labour's spending proposals were a bit insulting to anyone over the age of about 15.

The end result of their own rhetoric. It was easy to raise the money to spend, every penny not spent was literally murder so they had to spend.
  • Options
    Remember the Swindon swing was in line with the national swing in 2015 and 2017.
  • Options

So if Alister Jack loses his seat who becomes the Tory Viceroy of Scotland?

Gove?

Are you hoping to apply for the job?
  • Options
    With these results, Labour are going to need a few elections to get back into power..thats 10 years or so.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

And insulting to anyone under it who'd have to pay for the debt they'd splurge on. Why should I look at my 3 year old and 5 year old children and want to burden them with that?
  • Options

RobD said:

Seems to be the solution is a Northern Labour leader that stays far away from Remain and backs soft policies like railway nationalisation and maybe tuition fees - and that's it.

What's rail nationalisation and tuition fees going to do for the working class voters that have apparently deserted Labour?
    What do you propose they offer? Tory-lite and support Brexit? I'm genuinely curious.
    There has been remarkably little movement in Leave/Remain sentiment since the referendum, but the electorate today seems to have said the that the result stands and should be enacted. There is a tremendous amount of wok that has to happen before we leave in a meaningful sense. Labour could and should scrutinise this process from the perspective of accepting the result and looking to influence it to the benefit of the voters who have just told them to do one.

In terms of everything else, being lead by someone who isn't a terrorist honouring anitsemite would definitely help.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    The PA timing for results are way way out. Swindon North wasn't supposed to be until 3am.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576

This is going to be utterly brutal for labour yee gods.

I think the Midlands could be particularly bad for Labour.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959

rcs1000 said:

Sure, but Corbyn 2019 is not Corbyn 2017. And Major was a better salesman than Mrs May.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    swindon notth yougov mrp had con 54 lab 36

actual was con 59 lab 30
  • Options
    RobD said:

speedy2 said:

Swindon swing 7%

So no difference between North and South? :p
    None.
    That's a big alarm bell.
    The Conservative majority could indeed be over 100.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Jonathan said:

Anyone with half a brain will be hoping Labour is destroyed totally tonight. Corbyn and co have allowed the Tories in to destroy the British constitution. Labour deserves to die for what it has enabled.

Nature abhors a vaccuum. If Labour dies something else will arise like a Phoenix from its ashes.
    What the other party is called is largely irrelevant. It's what it does that matters.

The GOP techncially retains the same name as the party of Lincoln, but is unrecognisable. Lincoln would be a Democrat today.

It's the same in the Uk. The Tory party changes like Trigger's broom with each election.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    No money available to back majority on Betfair now.

Edit: Oh, there is! Must be my browser acting up.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited December 2019

So if Alister Jack loses his seat who becomes the Tory Viceroy of Scotland?

Gove?

Are you hoping to apply for the job?
    Only if it comes with a peerage.

I was conceived in Edinburgh, I'm as Scottish as they come.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 704

The PA timing for results are way way out. Swindon North wasn't supposed to be until 5am.

Odd, the Swindon seats are usually very early.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    Does anyone else feel that this is the result that Theresa May expected in 2017?

I almost feel this is what TM thought she'd get.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

This is such a strange feeling. 2015 was the pure joy of surprise to me. 2017 was the gut punch of physical grief.

This time I barely feel anything other than stunned relief and disbelief...

I'm floating on air - the relief is palpable
  • Options
    The end result could be:
    CON 46%
    LAB 28%
  • Options

Does anyone else feel that this is the result that Theresa May expected in 2017?

Yep.
  • Options

This is the result 2017 should have been.
  • Options
    llef said:

actual was con 59 lab 30

And the first MRP had it 53% to 35%.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

What the other party is called is largely irrelevant. It's what it does that matters.

The GOP techncially retains the same name as the party of Lincoln, but is unrecognisable. Lincoln would be a Democrat today.

It's the same in the Uk. The Tory party changes like triggers broom with each election.
    The Tory party treats elections like they have another one coming along one day, they look at rule over the decades. Labour cast about for another great leader and treat every election as the most important moment in British history so far.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

The end result could be:
    CON 46%
    LAB 28%

Clearly all those massive queues were there to vote for Boris....
  • Options
    We want Darlington!
  • Options

With these results, Labour are going to need a few elections to get back into power..thats 10 years or so.

I'm not sure about that.

These results are going to be bringing huge expectations about Brexit.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The SNP is the answer to the idea that it was Brexit alone that caused Labour to lose.

This is all about Corbyn, Milne and their cult.

What's the difference between now and 2017? Labour commitment to a second referendum.
    * Corbyn sat on the fence on Brexit at the key moment, tried to triangulate the issue, confused and annoyed everyone and could not lay a finger on the Tories.
    * The total catastrophic mishandling of antisemitism in the party .
    * Much of the 2019 manifesto lacked credibility, whereas the 2017 manifesto borrowed heavily from 1997.
    He didn't sit on the fence. He campaigned (well imo) for Remain in the referendum. According to the Ashcroft poll 64% of Labour supporters voted Remain, compared to 68% of LDs it ain't bad. Especially considering polls under Miliband had 50% of Labour voters in favour of Brexit (at the time Tom Watson was campaigning forvan EU ref let's remember). The data to pin it on Corbyn isn't there, he just tried to get the party to accept the referendum was lost after it was lost.

Antisemitism scandal was arguably worse in 2017, with Ken and the mural etc. For all the talk, Labour has beefed up it's disciplinary response.

Some of 2019 was easily ridiculed, sure. But the main thrust, of patching up disintegrating public realm through taxation of the wealthy, public ownership of key utilities etc., the things that Corbyn is keen on and which wouldn't have been there under any other potential leader, are popular.

It'll never be settled obviously. Brexit is the defining fact of probably the next few decades so there's no use imagining what the Corbyn moment could have been without such a relentless focus on it.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    houndtang said:

This is the result 2017 should have been.
    As someone said you always get the result you deserve in the previous election!
  • Options
    Glasgow count: Anas Sarwar Lab MSP: “a devastating night for Labour in Scotland “.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Yes- I agree 100%- and thought so now.. this was Theresa May's victory....

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Not necessarily. However, it would be a helpful first step if the blithering idiots amongst the Labour mass membership picked a decent leader this bloody time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure, but Corbyn 2019 is not Corbyn 2017. And Major was a better salesman than Mrs May.
    He was pre-Black Wednesday but then he was lucky in his opponent in facing the Welsh Windbag.

2 years may have changed Corbyn, 5 certainly did Major. Major 1997 was not Major 1992 either.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yep.
    This follows the rule that election results are the ones that should have been the last time.
  • Options
    I suspect Newcastle UL might go CON! :lol:
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    If anyone wants to watch a televised wake switch on channel 4s mix of comedians and journalists
  • Options
    More money for universal credit incoming with these sorts of seats being taken I reckon.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

More money for universal credit incoming with these sorts of seats being taken I reckon.

Tories really need to sort that mess out. Get rid of that stupid waiting period and make the system work.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    IanB2 said:

Swindon N big Tory win

The Honda effect seems to be weak.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

llef said:

actual was con 59 lab 30

wasn't the first yougov mrp more accurate than teh last one in 2017 too ?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    RobD said:

Yep.
    The key difference is May went two years early when it wasn't yet clear Parliament was going to do everything possible to delay Brexit. She did not have a compelling enough reason to call a GE - as far as the average voter was concerned - in 2017. She already had a flippin' majority.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Well, it required the long game but it looks like the Tory three-quidders royally fucked Labour....

Take a bow, Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Pulpstar said:

Not everyone in Blyth Valley is on benefits.
  • Options
    Ridiculous that we had 10% leads all campaign solidly and yet you could make a 50% return on your money (if I understand 1.5 odds correctly) by backing an overall majority.

Hope people braver than me got on.
  • Options

None of this is a surprise. Labour members own it entirely. They were told time and again. They did not listen. They should hang their heads in shame.

But will they, or will they react the same as they did when EdM lost in 2015, throw a massive tantrum and pick someone even more bonkers than Corbyn?
    I think there will be some revisionism.

Not right away, but in time. Plenty of labour types I know swore they would never vote for the red team after Iraq. Guess what, they found a way to pull the level again. People find a way to break with the past.

The project will change. Cognitive dissonance is powerful.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for the young couple I saw in the supermarket earlier buying supplies for the big night where they planned to stay up and watching Jezza's win.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

I suspect Newcastle UL might go CON! :lol:

I hope so, he's in my fantasy football election team!
  • Options
    Listening to the talking heads on BBC say that a large majority means Boris can slow down and have a softer Brexit.

No. Dominic Cummings will be saying to Boris - "Get it done. Be awkward and push. And use your majority to make real change." Dominic's blog shows what to expect - God help the Blob because change is coming.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    No seats yet with anything that might prefigure Lib Dem fortunes.
  • Options

I feel sorry for the young couple I saw in the supermarket earlier buying supplies for the big night where they planned to stay up and watching Jezza's win.

I don’t. But then I’m an utter bastard.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Jonathan said:

Farage to be LOTO in 5 years.
  • Options
    Boris has tapped the referendum voters
  • Options

Glasgow count: Anas Sarwar Lab MSP: “a devastating night for Labour in Scotland “.

Hook this directly into my veins.
  • Options

To what extent should social media be held responsible for what's happened to the Labour Party? I'm thinking of the way it allows a small but vocal group of campaigners to seize control of institutions that used to have a broad base.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The SNP is the answer to the idea that it was Brexit alone that caused Labour to lose.

What's the difference between now and 2017? Labour commitment to a second referendum.
    * Corbyn sat on the fence on Brexit at the key moment, tried to triangulate the issue, confused and annoyed everyone and could not lay a finger on the Tories.
    * Much of the 2019 manifesto lacked credibility, whereas the 2017 manifesto borrowed heavily from 1997.
    He didn't sit on the fence. He campaigned (well imo) for Remain in the referendum. According to the Ashcroft poll 64% of Labour supporters voted Remain, compared to 68% of LDs it ain't bad. Especially considering polls under Miliband had 50% of Labour voters in favour of Brexit (at the time Tom Watson was campaigning forvan EU ref let's remember). The data to pin it on Corbyn isn't there, he just tried to get the party to accept the referendum was lost after it was lost.

Antisemitism scandal was arguably worse in 2017, with Ken and the mural etc. For all the talk, Labour has beefed up it's disciplinary response.

Some of 2019 was easily ridiculed, sure. But the main thrust, of patching up disintegrating public realm through taxation of the wealthy, public ownership of key utilities etc., the things that Corbyn is keen on and which wouldn't have been there under any other potential leader, are popular.

It'll never be settled obviously. Brexit is the defining fact of probably the next few decades so there's no use imagining what the Corbyn moment could have been without such a relentless focus on it.
    It's true that Brexit seems to have been his most significant undoing, if you look at the 2017 result. Corbynites needed a win then to maintain the leftward shift.
  • Options
    Northern Ireland Update.

Foyle : Things Aren't Looking Good For Sinn Fein. Colum Eastwood Has Probably Done Just Enough.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    llef said:

Andy_JS said:

llef said:

actual was con 59 lab 30

Yes
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 704
    Aha - battle board with Vine on BBC
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

He was 'neutral' on Brexit. That is a fence fully inserted.

You really need to wake up. Corbyn was utterly toxic and tone deaf beyond his core vote. He screwed up by inflating a massive bubble and inviting you all to live in it.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Ave_it said:

Swindon N very dodgy result for LAB +7% swing Plymouth Sutton and that Bristol seat where Charlotte Leslie was could be back!

Bristol NW. She's not standing, which is a shame as she seemed sound. Bloke called Mark Weston instead.

MY GOD I HOPE DARREN JONES GETS THE BOOT. 45% chance on BBC exit poll.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

llef said:

Andy_JS said:

llef said:

actual was con 59 lab 30

Yes
    something to remember for 2024!
  • Options

I'm sure that they can watch it somewhere on the internet.
  • Options
    Washington:

Lab 15,941
    Con 12,218
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Watching election coverage, with some of these wonderful constituency names, it feels a tad boring to merely live in Georgia's 7th congressional district.
  • Options
    Ochil and South Perthshire: “quite tight” (BBC)
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Interesting to look at the leadership rankings - they got closer during the election, and made it seem close.

However, the original relationship is made on figures 2 months before, which pointed to a 13/14% lead.

https://twitter.com/MoraleCurry/status/1189145110765887498/photo/1
  • Options

Well, it required the long game but it looks like the Tory three-quidders royally fucked Labour....

Take a bow, Ed Miliband.

“Agent Corbyn, you can come in now”.
  • Options

I wish we had the Facebook laugh etc reaction for this and not just like.
  • Options
    Stirling looking good for SNP (BBC)
  • Options
    Con gain reading east
  • Options

But will they, or will they react the same as they did when EdM lost in 2015, throw a massive tantrum and pick someone even more bonkers than Corbyn?
    I think there will be some revisionism.

Not right away, but in time. Plenty of labour types I know swore they would never vote for the red team after Iraq. Guess what, they found a way to pull the level again. People find a way to break with the past.

The project will change. Cognitive dissonance is powerful.
    Labour members were utterly self-indulgent and the poor will pay the price.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

No seats yet with anything that might prefigure Lib Dem fortunes.

LD vote share does seem to be holding up respectably so far, but I agree not LD core areas.
  • Options
    TSE tweet re possible LAB sub 180 is plausible

Could be v dodgy in Wales for LAB

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/1205286474486308864
  • Options

speedy2 said:

The end result could be:
    CON 46%
    LAB 28%

Clearly all those massive queues were there to vote for Boris....
    could be - my sister took her hubby to vote for Boris in Stevenage - he is a visceral working class anti-tory who hates Corbyn - he normally sits out elections as a waste of time but today he did the unthinkable and voted Boris
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Con gain reading east

That was supposed to be a particularly good result for Labour in all the estimates and models.
  • Options
    Stornoway count: SNP looking comfortable, but the big story is that the Tories might pip Labour for second place!!!! Crikey!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734

Ridiculous that we had 10% leads all campaign solidly and yet you could make a 50% return on your money (if I understand 1.5 odds correctly) by backing an overall majority.

Hope people braver than me got on.

Ahem. £150 at 2/5 and £120 at 1/3 yields a return of (150+60) + (120+40) = £370, a profit of £100. Others also bet, and some at the 3/2 price you mention.
This discussion has been closed.