Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first results sees the red wall penetrated

1234568»

Comments

• Options

speedy2 said:

The end result could be:
    CON 46%
    LAB 28%

Clearly all those massive queues were there to vote for Boris....
    Can I be COMPLETELY BLOODY CHEEKY and suggest that when a result gets filled in on the WonderSheet, then the Est Time column gets overwritten by actual time? Or that a spare column gets used as a binary flag, set to 1 when a result come in? Since the est times are well off in some cases, it would be nice to be able to sort the sheet to see the actual declarations at a glance at the top, rather than have to scroll well down to see the ones that came in early.

Love the sheet btw, many thanks for it!
  • Options
    Belfast South Update : Claire Hanna Majority Predicted To Be In The Region Of 3000-4000.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

I suspect Newcastle UL might go CON! :lol:

F- me, old chap this is the greatest night since PB started
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,636
    Somebody get Peston some new batteries - the current ones are about to run out.
  • Options
    My timeline is just a series of 'huge, if true' tweets, the like of which I saw during the SNP landslide in 2015.

The exit poll might have overestimated Labour if this continues.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,530
    edited December 2019
    Newcastle North:

Lab 21,354
    Con 15,589
    LD 4,357
    BRX 4,331
    Grn 1,368
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Boris has tapped the referendum voters

Yes, that was me. Implementing my vote in 2016 was the one and only issue.
  • Options
    Can’t be good for Swinson.
  • Options
    Since we're touching on counterfactuals: what if Tom Watson hadn't moved so decisively and effectively to head off the stream of defections which Chuka and the other TIGgers thought was going to happen after they went over the top into No Man's Land?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Con gain reading east

That was supposed to be a particularly good result for Labour in all the estimates and models.
    They were supposed to win that by 10% in the MRP.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Oh this could be delicious.
  • Options
    Exit poll gives CON 66% chance of gaining High Peak. +14% LAB swing in 2017.

See ya you fucking wingnut:

https://order-order.com/2019/02/19/labour-mp-suggests-labour-split-group-is-funded-by-israel/
  • Options

Stornoway count: SNP looking comfortable, but the big story is that the Tories might pip Labour for second place!!!! Crikey!

What happened? I was thinking MacNeil might possibly lose his 1000 majority what with the internet campaign against him this time.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911

Well, it required the long game but it looks like the Tory three-quidders royally fucked Labour....

Take a bow, Ed Miliband.

Classic case of virtue signalling, and now its bit them
  • Options

Oh this could be delicious.
    To be fair turnout there was 78.1% in 2017
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Swing 12% Sunderland W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Chap on BBC saying that he thinks Johnson is going to mimic Spain: come down on the Scots like a ton of bricks. “He hasn’t got anything to lose.”
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,530

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Con gain reading east

That was supposed to be a particularly good result for Labour in all the estimates and models.
    I assume we haven't had a result from Reading East, it's just a projection...
  • Options
    Northern Ireland Update : Alliance will get a lot of second places, polling extremely well.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Con gain reading east

Oh sorry lol. What is the 2nd Con seat? BBC total says Con 2 but I've only seen Blyth Valley.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    So many people including Peston claiming Tories would win Sunderland seats without BXP. Clearly they are taking way more votes off Lab than Con and I think on balance Farage and Cummings got the strategy bang on
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    'Only' a 5% swing in Halton

Maybe not so good for CON in NW (as per usual!)
  • Options
    Henrietta said:

Stornoway count: SNP looking comfortable, but the big story is that the Tories might pip Labour for second place!!!! Crikey!

What happened? I was thinking MacNeil might possibly lose his 1000 majority what with the internet campaign against him this time.
    Looks like the Labour vote has collapsed and gone to both the SNP and the Tories.

(Na h-Eileanan an Iar was a Labour seat for years.)
  • Options
    Floater said:

This is such a strange feeling. 2015 was the pure joy of surprise to me. 2017 was the gut punch of physical grief.

This time I barely feel anything other than stunned relief and disbelief...

I'm floating on air - the relief is palpable
    I didn't realise how scared I was of Corbyn until today. Immense relief.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Con gain reading east

Oh sorry lol. What is the 2nd Con seat? BBC total says Con 2 but I've only seen Blyth Valley.
    One of the Swindons. Massive 16,000 majority.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,911
    The Brexit Party gain is almost the Labour loss in all these NE seats
  • Options
    Northern Ireland Update.

BREAKING NEWS!

Stephen Farry (Alliance Party) is on for a 1000+ Majority in North Down.
  • Options
    Murdo Fraser, Con MSP, blaming SCon losses on wrong distribution of votes. They have been putting on votes in the Central Belt where they are largely useless.

Expect *lots* of SCon second places. This might be the big strategic change from UK GE 2019: it’ll be all SNP vs CON from now on.
  • Options
    So of course Corbyn has to go.

But there are many more problems.

Losing votes in the Remainy seats but also losing votes in the Leave seats. Wipeout in Scotland. Destruction in Wales.

People said in 2015, Labour was finished - but I legitimately think Labour faces an existential crisis here.

But I will say this, I think the next Labour leader whoever it is, really must not tack onto "rejoin". The Brexit issue is utterly toxic.
  • Options
    Stirling Tories carefully avoided mentioning either Brexit or Johnson. Might regret that strategy later tonight! ;)
  • Options
    The Fink killing it right now.
  • Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited December 2019

Henrietta said:

Looks like the Labour vote has collapsed and gone to both the SNP and the Tories.

(Na h-Eileanan an Iar was a Labour seat for years.)
    I can imagine Corbyn's past record on Ireland making him unpopular on Lewis, although I would have thought MacNeil's record with teenage women and his expenses claims (not to mention the other stuff that has been spread about) would make him unpopular there too, but it doesn't sound as though it has. My brother tells me the Labour candidate is one of the most irritating people he knows - she started doing a politician shtick with him ("I passionately believe", etc.) in one-on-one conversation even though they've known each other 10 years. (He voted for her, though.)
  • Options
    Agree with the ex Labour lady.

They need a centrist leader with a bit of soft left policy like the railways being nationalised (which is popular) but with none of Corbyn's baggage. Cut down the policies hugely, too many.

Dump Momentum, dump Corbyn's team. More experienced team to deal with the media properly.

I do think the Tories have tacked to the left slightly on economic policy, so Labour can be in that general direction but not as far left as they have gone.

They must also not become a rejoin party. The Lib Dems have shown that to be a disaster.

So, I'd support Starmer but he seems too London centric to me. Phillips seems okay. I think RLB is too close to Corbyn to be any good now.

Any centrist/very soft left leaders people know of?
  • Options

So of course Corbyn has to go.

But there are many more problems.

Losing votes in the Remainy seats but also losing votes in the Leave seats. Wipeout in Scotland. Destruction in Wales.

People said in 2015, Labour was finished - but I legitimately think Labour faces an existential crisis here.

But I will say this, I think the next Labour leader whoever it is, really must not tack onto "rejoin". The Brexit issue is utterly toxic.

Brexit should not be a problem for either Labour or the LibDems now. Of course it is a huge problem for Boris - who has to deliver the impossible to a ludicrously short self-imposed deadline - but the opposition parties can very simply move to a position where they accept that Brexit has formally happened (which it will have done by Jan 31st), and argue for as close a relationship with the EU as we can get. They can talk about an aspiration to rejoin some time in the future, but that's not going to be a practical policy for years if not decades.
  • Options
    T

They need a centrist leader with a bit of soft left policy like the railways being nationalised (which is popular) but with none of Corbyn's baggage. Cut down the policies hugely, too many.

Dump Momentum, dump Corbyn's team. More experienced team to deal with the media properly.

I do think the Tories have tacked to the left slightly on economic policy, so Labour can be in that general direction but not as far left as they have gone.

They must also not become a rejoin party. The Lib Dems have shown that to be a disaster.

So, I'd support Starmer but he seems too London centric to me. Phillips seems okay. I think RLB is too close to Corbyn to be any good now.

The membership and party bodies are overwhelmingly left wing/Corbynist/Momentum. They aren’t ceding control just because the MPs ain’t happy.

Corbyn and McDonnell have worked hard to ensure the Left are ascendant.

The party may need to split.
  • Options
    Labour CLINGING to life in Stockton North
  • Options
    Didn't this used to be a 'bellweather' seat?

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1205293229618483201?s=20
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,705
    So, if you end up with the result you 'expected' last time, does this mean that 2024 will be a smallish Conservative majority (about 330-340 seats)? Seems likely.

Labour are so far from power if the Exit poll is right (130 seats short) that they are looking at at least the next (And possibly the one after that) before they could hope to regain a majority government.

And if they are WORSE than 191 seats, it could be the end of the 2030s before they're back!
  • Options
    funkhauserfunkhauser Posts: 325
    edited December 2019

Needs to be female, numerate & a good media performer...Diane Abbott?
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,339

Needs to be female, numerate & a good media performer...Diane Abbott?
    Tracy Brabin?
This discussion has been closed.