Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s seat total might end up being smaller than Blair’s ma

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s seat total might end up being smaller than Blair’s majority of 179 in 1997

Swindon North, a Labour seat 1997-2010

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    First?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited December 2019
    A pointless second, as I suspect the LibDems are going to pile up in the south-east.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Titters.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Turnout is currently running -2.7% against 2017.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Condemned to the Corbyn of history.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Notice that South Wales is more loyal to Labour. It is that much poorer than the North East and especially the East Midlands.
  • Options
    Please can we have more results?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Can we please ban posts regarding registrations figures next time around? :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    rcs1000 said:

BUT BUT BUT...all those tweets about massive queues...
  • Options
    Might see the return of Ed Miliband.
  • Options

Please can we have more results?

I think my PC might blow up when we start getting 20 at a time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

And it's probably down a bit more given the recency of the register this time. Scotland will probably see turnout rise.
  • Options
    Wow, how far down the list are the Tories going?!
  • Options
    Vote share changes so far:

Con +3.1%
    LD +3.0%
    Lab -11.7%

• Options
    RobD said:

All the way, dude. All the way.
  • Options

YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225

rcs1000 said:

It was always blindingly obvious that people prefer to walk to the polling station in daylight.
  • Options
    Is this a good time to congratulate Peter Oborne on his far sighted judgement in voting Labour.
  • Options
    I really, really, really wish they'd given the Peter Snow job to someone other than Jeremy Vine.
  • Options

Tipped at 200/1 by me.

#LegendaryModestyKlaxon
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

It was always blindingly obvious that people prefer to walk to the polling station in daylight.
    As was posted often... :p
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    IanB2 said:
    I'm not at all convinced that 1997-2010-era Labour, as represented by Chris Leslie, is the answer for them. A reworked Miliband-era Labour might be, though.
  • Options
    I love how breathless the BBC are about some of the Tory gains, lol
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

I hope he holds, have some money on him lol
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

And I noted when I popped out last night, its Christmas Party season...It was heaving with people and clearly they will have voted in the morning (if they voted).
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    edited December 2019
    tlg86 said:

Notice that South Wales is more loyal to Labour. It is that much poorer than the North East and especially the East Midlands.

Labour majorities were bigger in south Wales.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Sunderland West: Swing 11%
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Vote share changes so far:

Con +3.1%
    LD +3.0%
    Lab -11.7%

Sorry, that was pre the Swindon result. Now:

Con +3.2%
    LD +3.1%
    Lab -12.5%
  • Options
    Leaver labour voted for Boris in the referendum and appear to have done so again.... Even with waspi bribes and those big social media moments... Which seem not to have been.
  • Options
    Farage has taken the Labour leave vote lol
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    RobD said:

Jeremy Vine's infographic suggested that Walsall South was the safest Labour seat that would fall tonight, based on the exit poll.
  • Options

I really, really, really wish they'd given the Peter Snow job to someone other than Jeremy Vine.

His brother would have been good
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

tlg86 said:

True, but there was swingback to Labour during the election. I don't think that happened in NE England.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,589
    edited December 2019

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Tommy Shepherd saying 55 SNP seats doesn't match their own numbers.
  • Options
    Labour need to rebrand as London party.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    After 8 results average swing 8%.
    Swingometer has the majority at 126.
  • Options
    So when the FTPA is repealed, can we assume the Tories are now winter election fans and December 2024 is the favourite?
  • Options

If he gets re-elected.
  • Options

IanB2 said:
    I'm not at all convinced that 1997-2010-era Labour, as represented by Chris Leslie, is the answer for them. A reworked Miliband-era Labour might be, though.
    Nevertheless he is right that the TIG breakaway was their last chance
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Is this a good time to congratulate Peter Oborne on his far sighted judgement in voting Labour.

Big shout going out to Steve Coogan and Hugh Grant.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Yes I thought he was good in the debates as well.
  • Options
    Betfair: 370s band favourite

Would mean Con outperform Exit Poll
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited December 2019

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

And I noted when I popped out last night, its Christmas Party season...It was heaving with people and clearly they will have voted in the morning (if they voted).
    FPT

Can I be COMPLETELY BLOODY CHEEKY and suggest that when a result gets filled in on the WonderSheet, then the Est Time column gets overwritten by actual time? Or that a spare column gets used as a binary flag, set to 1 when a result come in? Since the est times are well off in some cases, it would be nice to be able to sort the sheet to see the actual declarations at a glance at the top, rather than have to scroll well down to see the ones that came in early.

(FWIW us users of your sheet can actually sort and filter columns in our view, so setting one column as a flag would work well without requiring, I hope, major changes to your script...)

Love the sheet btw, many thanks for it!
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    I recommend occasionally switching to C4 to see the looks of absolute distress. Stanley Johnson looking like JRM on the seats of the House of Commons.
  • Options

humbugger said:

Big shout going out to Steve Coogan and Hugh Grant.
    To be a fly on the wall of Steve this evening....
  • Options
    Brexit party standing seems to have taken many of the lab leaver votes too.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited December 2019

IanB2 said:
    I'm mot convinced that 1997-2010-era Labour is the answer for them. A reworked Miliband-era Labour might be, though.
    Labour needs to remember that it is there to represent working people and improve their lives. It wasn't just a fluffy idealistic theological left-wing endeavour. It was practical and through ideas like 'tough on crime and the causes of crime', dealt with issues that counted.

• Options

Farage, you genius. The guarantor of Brexit :o
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

speedy2 said:

tlg86 said:

True, but there was swingback to Labour during the election. I don't think that happened in NE England.
    Nope.
    The Yougov Welsh Barometer was correct, there was no swingback to Labour.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    just backed Con gain Bolsover at 4/9 bet365
  • Options
    edited December 2019

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT

Can I be COMPLETELY BLOODY CHEEKY and suggest that when a result gets filled in on the WonderSheet, then the Est Time column gets overwritten by actual time? Or that a spare column gets used as a binary flag, set to 1 when a result come in? Since the est times are well off in some cases, it would be nice to be able to sort the sheet to see the actual declarations at a glance at the top, rather than have to scroll well down to see the ones that came in early.

Love the sheet btw, many thanks for it!
    Oh god, errhh, hmmm, I don't know...

I will see...we are expecting a load of results soon and I need to check things don't blow up.

Running this live thing is more stressful than waiting for the exit poll !!!!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Too close to call in Finchley according to Channel 4
  • Options
    Nick Robinson still the best political reporter.

Even though he is now only a reporter on GE night.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited December 2019
    CHRIST.

I remember when I was one of 754 Tories who voted in the Manchester Central by election.

https://twitter.com/SteveRobson04/status/1205288274455076864
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The SNP is the answer to the idea that it was Brexit alone that caused Labour to lose.

This is all about Corbyn, Milne and their cult.

What's the difference between now and 2017? Labour commitment to a second referendum.
    * Corbyn sat on the fence on Brexit at the key moment, tried to triangulate the issue, confused and annoyed everyone and could not lay a finger on the Tories.
    * The total catastrophic mishandling of antisemitism in the party .
    * Much of the 2019 manifesto lacked credibility, whereas the 2017 manifesto borrowed heavily from 1997.
    He didn't sit on the fence. He campaigned (well imo) for Remain in the referendum. According to the Ashcroft poll 64% of Labour supporters voted Remain, compared to 68% of LDs it ain't bad. Especially considering polls under Miliband had 50% of Labour voters in favour of Brexit (at the time Tom Watson was campaigning forvan EU ref let's remember). The data to pin it on Corbyn isn't there, he just tried to get the party to accept the referendum was lost after it was lost.

Antisemitism scandal was arguably worse in 2017, with Ken and the mural etc. For all the talk, Labour has beefed up it's disciplinary response.

Some of 2019 was easily ridiculed, sure. But the main thrust, of patching up disintegrating public realm through taxation of the wealthy, public ownership of key utilities etc., the things that Corbyn is keen on and which wouldn't have been there under any other potential leader, are popular.

It'll never be settled obviously. Brexit is the defining fact of probably the next few decades so there's no use imagining what the Corbyn moment could have been without such a relentless focus on it.
    He was 'neutral' on Brexit. That is a fence fully inserted.

You really need to wake up. Corbyn was utterly toxic and tone deaf beyond his core vote. He screwed up by inflating a massive bubble and inviting you all to live in it.
    I find this bizarre, having sat on a polling station all day where people kept wanting to talk about Brexit, how they'd already voted for Brexit, etc. Nobody is turning up going 'what we want is PFI and less public ownership'. It isn't an accident that the Tory campaign can be reduced to the word 'Brexit'.

Imo the real bubble is those who let the shock of 2016 wear off, started seeing a regretful former Brexiteer in every corner, and wanted tongamvle the house on a second referendum.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Why do people sneer at political celebrities and not political hedge fund bosses and newspaper owners? The latter surely hold more power over people.
  • Options

They won't vote tory, but they hate labour.. or at least Corbyn
  • Options
    RobD said:

Farage, you genius. The guarantor of Brexit :o
    Yes, agents Farage and Corbyn are some of the Tory party’s top agents.
  • Options
    After 9 results the swing is 9%.
    Majority of 144.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:
    I'm mot convinced that 1997-2010-era Labour is the answer for them. A reworked Miliband-era Labour might be, though.
    Labour needs to remember that it is there to represent working people and improve their lives. It wasn't just a fluffy idealistic theological left-wing endeavour. It was practical and through ideas like 'tough on crime and the causes of crime', dealt with issues that counted.

But all this had run out of steam by 2010. You need more than a mixture of NHS and education spending, gay rights, and populism on law and order and welfare, and David Miliband wouldn't have beaten Cameron in 2015 for these reasons either.
  • Options
    After 10 results the swing is back down to 7.5%
    Majority of 116.
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

tlg86 said:

speedy2 said:

tlg86 said:

Nope.
    The Yougov Welsh Barometer was correct, there was no swingback to Labour.
    Okay, I'll take your word for it. Merseyside and its fringes on the other hand, very much staying loyal to Labour!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Lansmann on ITV is just losing Labour even more votes !!!! Some rich southern bloke basically telling those that didn't vote Labour they were wrong.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    speedy2 said:

Majority of 144.

Don't forget we have nothing from London or SE where swing will be much smaller
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:
    I honestly agree with Labour more often than not about what the big issues are. But you can't seriously intend to run the country on throwing money at things and a commitment to undo essentially everything the Tories, Blair, or the coalition government did. For all the talk about fairness, equality, rights and so on, it was by far the most backward looking prospectus from any party in living memory, bar perhaps some of the nonsense UKIP comes out with.
  • Options
    Should Andrew Neil get his interview with Boris now?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    speedy2 said:

After 10 results the swing is back down to 7.5%
    Majority of 116.

Con 380? Suits my book!
  • Options
    Waspi bribe, free broadband, no tuition fees, slashed rail fares, Neilinterview gate, boyonfloorgate, fridgegate, and all the other stuff and yet Labour appear to have been stuffed. CCHQ did not seem to change the election strategy to respond to any of these issues. The private polling must have been strong and stable throughout.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

speedy2 said:

Majority of 144.

Don't forget we have nothing from London or SE where swing will be much smaller
    True, but an update is still interesting.
  • Options
    FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut
  • Options
    Ian Lavery in recount !!!
  • Options

Should Andrew Neil get his interview with Boris now?

I think Boris might be keen now.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,568
    Fiona Hill v Jon Lansman hahaha
  • Options
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    hooray - i think ben lake is a good mp for ceredigion
  • Options
    The third book in the Tim Shipman trilogy is going to be a belter.

Has Cummings blogged yet?
  • Options

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

Oh dear, I'm in big trouble at work...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Ian Lavery in recount !!!

I hope he goes

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Wansbeck???!!!!!!
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    Just switched on Channel 4. What a state.

Gentler politics personified.
  • Options

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

35/46 on the MRP !! :open_mouth:

Is the MRP in @FrancisUrquhart 's spreadsheet the original MRP or the final one? Seems like YouGov s**t the bed with this one.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    llef said:

hooray - i think ben lake is a good mp for ceredigion
    It looks as though you were right!

The LibDems have slipped to 4th in Ceredigion, with the Tories second.
  • Options
    Alliance 1000 ahead on North Down
  • Options
    edited December 2019

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

35/46 on the MRP !! :open_mouth:

Is the MRP in @FrancisUrquhart 's spreadsheet the original MRP or the final one? Seems like YouGov s**t the bed with this one.
    It is the one with the 28 seat majority.

I am tempted to load in the first one.

The problem for YouGov is they did the MRP at the height of "photo-gate" and it showed a massive drop in Tory %. But we saw by the time GE, that polling showed no dip in Tory %. If they had taken the MRP 2 days before they would have had a much bigger majority for the Tories.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Wansbeck???!!!!!!

In line with the most extreme swing in the NE.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

Oh dear, I'm in big trouble at work...
    Where is Wansbeck
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
  • Options
    71.34% turnout in Ceredigion
  • Options

Are they in mourning?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,466
    Ave_it said:

Wansbeck???!!!!!!

Full recount probably means less than 200 votes.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

FULL RECOUNT IN WANSBECK

#LaveryOut

One of the few people in the HoC I dislike more than Chote.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Ave_it said:

Wansbeck???!!!!!!

Full recount probably means less than 200 votes.
    Majority 2017: 10,435. :p
  • Options
    The left-leaning contributor on BBC is now blaming everything on Corbyn. The Labour Civil War gets underway...
  • Options

Are they in mourning?
    The PM’s dad is loving it.
This discussion has been closed.