Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swinson’s successor may have only become an MP yesterday

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swinson’s successor may have only become an MP yesterday

It is a sign of the sheer carnage that the LDs suffered at the general election that one of the names being actively floated as a leader is one of those who have just been elected to the House of Commons.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited December 2019
    First, like President Pack though he may find life slightly astringent in the near future :-).
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    fp for OLBoy

To be fair it's not all of my Labour friends, but it is a couple, and they are the most politically committed (they go on marches and demos). So they are the people who will elect the new leader.

It's grim for Labour.

One of them is a smart artist in her 50s. Very well read. Phd. Etc.

She was convinced that Corbyn would win, even though I spent 20 minutes over drinks, recently, trying to show her the plentiful evidence that he was likely to lose. She just kept shaking her head and saying things like "youthquake".

Now she tells me she is in "shock".

I mean, what can you do?!
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Problem for recent LibDem leaders has been holding their own seat - Clegg of course, Farron was a couple of hundred away from losing, and Swinson lost. It has to be a distraction. I assume St Albans will always be a Tory target seat - are there any other LibDem MPs that could be considered fairly safe ?
  • Options
    Rebecca Long Bailey and Richard Burgon.

OMFG

OMFFFFFFG

The next Lib Dem leader could be the next non-Tory prime minister.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited December 2019
    Why do the LibDems even need a leader who is an MP?

The tiny LibDem contingent is not relevant in Parliament, given the huge Tory majority.

The smart move is to find someone who can raise the LibDem profile in the media, out of Parliament.

E.g., though I don't much care for Gina Miller, she has made herself incredibly well-known as a high-pofile and articulate campaigner (completely outside Parliament).

The new LibDem leader needs that skill-set.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Problem for recent LibDem leaders has been holding their own seat - Clegg of course, Farron was a couple of hundred away from losing, and Swinson lost. It has to be a distraction. I assume St Albans will always be a Tory target seat - are there any other LibDem MPs that could be considered fairly safe ?

I would be surprised if they managed to take St Albans back next election, unless the libdems drop below their 2017 level.

All libdem seats in England except Farron's should be safe.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Well, I guess if Labour elect RLB and RB, then the centre-left in the Labour Party will decamp to a new party

The moderates really will have nothing left to lose.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

To be fair it's not all of my Labour friends, but it is a couple, and they are the most politically committed (they go on marches and demos). So they are the people who will elect the new leader.

It's grim for Labour.

She was convinced that Corbyn would win, even though I spent 20 minutes over drinks, recently, trying to show her the plentiful evidence that he was likely to lose. She just kept shaking her head and saying things like "youthquake".

Being of an empirical bent myself I have always struggled to understand people who allow their beliefs to blind them to evidence. The Corbynite Left have a tendency towards this myopia that is quite striking. Hopefully enough of them will have got the message by now, it's only a shame it has taken them this long. Personally I feel sorry for working class people who have voted Tory because I think the Tories will fuck them over while looking after people like me like they always do, but I don't hate or despise them or anything, and since I also vote against my own economic self interest I can't really criticise them for doing the same.
    My view is that 2019 may well turn out to be a good election to lose, similarly to 1992 and for similar reasons (Europe and the economy), but losing it so badly leaves a mountain to climb to win next time. Leadership will matter a lot, and we need to pick wisely. I think Angela Rayner could be a good choice but let's see who stands and who impresses most.
  • Options
    Ms Cooper won me a bet so I’m immediately well-disposed to her.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

My own top preference, Wera Hobhouse, looks extremely safe in Bath with a 12,000+ majority.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

The tiny LibDem contingent is not relevant in Parliament, given the huge Tory majority.

The smart move is to find someone who can raise the LibDem profile in the media, out of Parliament.

E.g., though I don't much care for Gina Miller, she has made herself incredibly well-known as a high-pofile and articulate campaigner (completely outside Parliament).

This seems to me a very good idea. The SNP has a party leader who is not in the Commons, and their MPs in the Commons have to make do with a parliamentary leader.

By choosing a party leader from among the wider party, the LDs will have a much wider pool of talent to choose from. If the right person rises up, surely there will be no difficulty in getting that person into the Commons if the circumstances turn in the LDs' favour - and circumstances are much more likely to do that with the right leader.

Good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    PaulM said:

I think I am right in saying at this moment they have held one seat continuously since before 2005. So no, not really, as the seat in question is Orkney.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Rebecca Long Bailey and Richard Burgon.

OMFG

OMFFFFFFG

The next Lib Dem leader could be the next non-Tory prime minister.

That can't be real? Not really?

Buckle in for 10 more years of the Tories if so.

F*ck my old boots. Burgon. Just no.
  • Options
    Who are these Lib Dems which one speaks of?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

Yes, I've noticed that a bit as well. A lot of people have used social media to exclude all opinions contrary to their own so there is a drip feed of confirmatory poison that warps their worldview into believing that they are right and everyone agrees with them. People who disagree are in the minority and they are Nazis/Evil/"Literally Hitler". I think social media has definitely contributed to Labour's downfall here, they have lost touch with the calm, considered and quiet voter who doesn't broadcast their politics and emotional state in every sentence, they don't make their lives about which party they vote for, they don't subscribe to the "never kissed a Tory" bullshit and wear their allegiance to their party and hatred of infidels as a badge of honour.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    MaxPB said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

Yes, I've noticed that a bit as well. A lot of people have used social media to exclude all opinions contrary to their own so there is a drip feed of confirmatory poison that warps their worldview into believing that they are right and everyone agrees with them. People who disagree are in the minority and they are Nazis/Evil/"Literally Hitler". I think social media has definitely contributed to Labour's downfall here, they have lost touch with the calm, considered and quiet voter who doesn't broadcast their politics and emotional state in every sentence, they don't make their lives about which party they vote for, they don't subscribe to the "never kissed a Tory" bullshit and wear their allegiance to their party and hatred of infidels as a badge of honour.
    The quiet majority don't do twitter....and if they do, it is only for a bit of a laugh i.e. funny gifs of Baby Yoda etc.

I think it is why the Boris driving the JCB through the wall was genius.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 775
    Do the Lib Dems need to rush to appoint a new leader?

Let Ed Davey and Baroness Sal Brinton run as interim leaders until after the next local elections and then have a proper leadership contest in advance of the next party conference.

The Lib Dems aren't going to be the centre of attention for a while, so they have the luxury of time to see how Johnson intends to govern and in what direction Labour decides to run in. It also gives the new MPs a chance to make an impression, both amongst MPs and through media appearances.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Let Ed Davey and Baroness Sal Brinton run as interim leaders until after the next local elections and then have a proper leadership contest in advance of the next party conference.

The Lib Dems aren't going to be the centre of attention for a while, so they have the luxury of time to see how Johnson intends to govern and in what direction Labour decides to run in. It also gives the new MPs a chance to make an impression, both amongst MPs and through media appearances.

That’s a much more sensible suggestion than a leader from outside Parliament. Leaving aside the fact the Party’s constitution would need changing, it would emphasise how marginalised they have become.
  • Options
    If there are any PB-ers who need cheering up... here's a video of the moment the exit poll hit the "Novara Media Team" (Corbyn's online outriders)

https://twitter.com/s8mb/status/1205522270883655680?s=20
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    ydoethur said:

PaulM said:

I think I am right in saying at this moment they have held one seat continuously since before 2005. So no, not really, as the seat in question is Orkney.
    Very successful Lib (alright, I know, I know) leader held that seat.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

If there are any PB-ers who need cheering up... here's a video of the moment the exit poll hit the "Novara Media Team" (Corbyn's online outriders)
    twitter.com/s8mb/status/1205522270883655680?s=20

Given they are full of Fake News, surprised they didn't have their own exit poll, conducted by centrist_phone, where all the subsamples were reweighted.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

Had the same experience. Perfectly nice decent people generally - the sort of generally would be horrified at being associated with Jew baiters - are just in denial about the reality of the polling figures, and the nature of the people who are the praetorian guard of the party. They seem too intelligent to be just 'useful idiots' but that is how they seem. Feels more like fundamentalist religion to me.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Byronic said:

We aren't the side that need cheering up. :p:D
  • Options
    Who do I appear to be the only pragmatic leftie in the UK
  • Options

They all fucked off and joined the Tories.
  • Options
    Watching the clip, they were split spouting that they thought all these seats were going to be decided by 10s /100s of votes. Did they really believe this? Did the Labour internal polling say this? Or were they just spinning bullshit as usual?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

The rest are too scared of the Twitter hate mob to speak up. You're posting in a place where people will give you a fair hearing as long as what you're saying is well reasoned. The left has cultivated a culture of purity within its circles and it is now coming back to bite you.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

PaulM said:

Very successful Lib (alright, I know, I know) leader held that seat.
    I wasn’t thinking about its location or status. A seat is a seat, as Grimond shows. I was thinking about the risk of a further SNP surge or Scottish independence.

But as Alistair Carmichael is the MP, the point is moot.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1205862052897665024

Ignoring the outlier that is clearly now 2017, this is fucking depressing
  • Options

twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1205862052897665024

That's a stupid graphic, as it doesn't tell you what the total electorate was.
  • Options

I was talking about Singh's Tweet
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

Had the same experience. Perfectly nice decent people generally - the sort of generally would be horrified at being associated with Jew baiters - are just in denial about the reality of the polling figures, and the nature of the people who are the praetorian guard of the party. They seem too intelligent to be just 'useful idiots' but that is how they seem. Feels more like fundamentalist religion to me.

Yes, it's religiosity without God. A faith.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    ydoethur said:

Ratters said:

That’s a much more sensible suggestion than a leader from outside Parliament. Leaving aside the fact the Party’s constitution would need changing, it would emphasise how marginalised they have become.
    Seems to me the LDs have marginalised themselves. In what world does having real experience of government office come to be a negative, disqualifying factor?

Before Remain/Revoke/Rejoin pushed everything else out, the LDs USP was PR. PR means coalition government, does it not?

Are the LDs still keen on PR? They should be, since their vote is much higher than the seats they can gain under FPTP.

So their rejection of the one Coalition they did join renders them pointless, in my view.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

MaxPB said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

The quiet majority don't do twitter....and if they do, it is only for a bit of a laugh i.e. funny gifs of Baby Yoda etc.

I think it is why the Boris driving the JCB through the wall was genius.
    Even that fact that it's a bit silly and even naff is why it works quite well. We don't want someone running for PM who is a bit too slick and has clever-clever messaging that only insiders will fully understand.

Remember that Labour poster of Cameron sitting on an Audi Quattro? It was meant to cast Cameron as some sort of Thatcherite wide boy dragging us back to the dark days of the 1980s, that was the intention. I suspect most ordinary people would have just thought "he's meant to be Gene Hunt from that show I like", and "Fire up the Quattro!"
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Off the top of my head and without checking, percentages were as follows:

1983 27%
    1987 31%
    1992 34%
    1997 43%
    2001 40%
    2005 36%
    2010 29%
    2015 31%
    2017 40% (39.99% before rounding)
    2019 33%

Which means one leader elected in the last 50 years has topped 40% of the nationwide vote, and even if we cut it to 35% that figure only reaches 2.

By contrast the numbers for the Tories are four and five.

Edit - Callaghan got 36%. One and three.
  • Options

Watching the clip, they were split spouting that they thought all these seats were going to be decided by 10s /100s of votes. Did they really believe this? Did the Labour internal polling say this? Or were they just spinning bullshit as usual?

2:03 when the girl starts crying because of Blyth Valley is jolly good, as well.

They really believe their own bullshit, and they really thought they were going to win. It is mystifying.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

https://i.imgur.com/WHUvhiH.gif
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

Intelligence without common-sense and decency is no use. Can be positively dangerous, in fact.

A lot of seemingly intelligent people lack curiosity about the world, the people around them, beyond their own immediate social circle.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

2:03 when the girl starts crying because of Blyth Valley is jolly good, as well.

They really believe their own bullshit, and they really thought they were going to win. It is mystifying.
    This is from the "girl", 2 days before the GE....Apparently John Curtice know nothing.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/10/myth-labour-lost-working-class-pollsters
  • Options
    Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

The parallels with Leavers are obvious.
  • Options
    did those economist ternary plots get updated?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

1983 27%
    1987 31%
    1992 34%
    1997 43%
    2001 40%
    2005 36%
    2010 29%
    2015 31%
    2019 33%

Which means one leader elected in the last 50 years has topped 40% of the nationwide vote, and even if we cut it to 35% that figure only reaches 2.

Doesn't Blair often say that only about 30% of the British people will ever vote for full-on socialism?

Never looked truer than today.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    RobD said:

They all fucked off and joined the Tories.
    Yes, under FPTP a lot of people seem to change their views to suit whichever party will give them power and a political career.

From past thread, on student loans

'Personally, I'd phase out the current system and have am extra tenth of a percent or whatever it is on the main and higher bands of income tax. There'd be no student debt at all, and you'd get a far higher contribution from higher earners. People going abroad would be difficult. Maybe if you aren't a UK taxpayer you pay the net of your loan and the payments you have already made through income tax.

The kind of thing Labour should offer. The Tories have had nine years to do something about it, let's see if in five they've done anything.'

This seems like an obvious way out of an all-party Lab/LD/Con mess.

Lab could also write off the ~£100 billion of student loans by announcing that said graduates will pay a slightly higher rate of basic and higher income tax until they retire. This costed proposal couldn't be shot down in flames ... unless I suppose Neil interviews Abbott on the subject, in which case the national student loan debt to be repaid will become £100 million.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

I suggested that the Lib Dems widen the selection process last time, 8 MPs or whatever it was then was too small a pool to throw up a first-rate national leader and so it proved.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Hang on, that's the bloody elected mayor posting that bollocks. Where do we find them?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

The thing I always come back to is like a religion how the cult can be so fundamental on some things, while able to faithfully ignore others. Things like LGBT rights are a big thing to young maomentumers, but they see no problem in Jezza standing up for Hamas and Hezbollah. Boris is the spawn of the devil for some of his utterances, but Jezza's are just totally excused. Nothing will dent their belief in the Messiah.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

ydoethur said:

Ratters said:

Seems to me the LDs have marginalised themselves. In what world does having real experience of government office come to be a negative, disqualifying factor?

Before Remain/Revoke/Rejoin pushed everything else out, the LDs USP was PR. PR means coalition government, does it not?

Are the LDs still keen on PR? They should be, since their vote is much higher than the seats they can gain under FPTP.

So their rejection of the one Coalition they did join renders them pointless, in my view.

Not all of us reject it. The Coalition government was what first made me realise that I'm a Lib Dem... though I accept I'm in the minority on that.
  • Options

Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

And ultra-Remainers like you. Who lose all common sense, become hysterically upset over everything, see evil heretics everywhere, and believe in miracles like the Second Coming, sorry, Referendum.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

I thought you were desperate for a Corbyn victory CHB?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

One of the problems of being a secular society is that people don’t realise when their behaviour / causes end up mimicking almost precisely the actions and behaviours of religious people - but directed at a different idol. They think that because they do not do God they are acting rationally and thoughtfully. When in fact they are behaving in just the same mysterious/irrational/emotional way, harking after a lost Eden or Utopia or Heaven on earth.

Hence the same desire to divide the world into the Believers and the Unbelievers and the same, on occasion, willingness to inflict/endure pain/misery (even death) in order to achieve the ultimate goal.

As GK Chesterton put it: “When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing — they believe in anything.”
  • Options
    Jason said:

I wanted the Tories out and Corbyn was the only way to deliver that - but now it's clear I was deeply wrong.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,680
    AnneJGP said:

ydoethur said:

Ratters said:

The real problem with the Coalition was that Clegg was so keen to prove to the world that coalition government could work, that he sacrificed everything to this objective. The result was that Lib Dem spokesmen were given the task of announcing all the bad news, and the Tories took all the credit at the end of the day for the good, sensible policies that the Lib Dems pushed through - even against Tory opposition!

The Tories were ruthless and untrustworthy. And so were Labour - even campaigning against the Coalition on policies which had been in their own manifesto.

All is not lost. If I have placed AnneJGP correctly, the Lib Dems were second in this election in her constituency, and she has a good Lib Dem run council.
  • Options

Jason said:

I wanted the Tories out and Corbyn was the only way to deliver that - but now it's clear I was deeply wrong.
    Fair enough.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I see our friend centrist_phone has gone all tin-foil hat. Apparently there is a coordinated long term deep state undercover disinformation campaign run on places like Facebook against anybody who dares to propose left wing politics.

I think he needs to change his twitter handle.
  • Options

There are plenty of us, but not enough clearly.
  • Options

I see our friend centrist_phone has gone all tin-foil hat. Apparently there is a coordinated long term deep state undercover disinformation campaign run on places like Facebook against anybody who dares to propose left wing politics.

He must wince ever time he looks at his name judging by the amount he rants about centrists ruining the election.
  • Options
    My assertion that we won't actually be leaving the EU is starting to look a bit flaky.

It was based on Bozo having to compromise on a second referendum amendment which was then won by Remain, or a GONU taking over and having a 2nd ref.

Wrong as usual. Good job I don't bet.
  • Options

"Looks like the polls didn't pick up the level of swing in NE and Midlands to Con."

errr, they all at least hinted at it!
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Well, I guess if Labour elect RLB and RB, then the centre-left in the Labour Party will decamp to a new party

Jess Phillips next leader.... of the LibDems?
  • Options
    RobD said:

He must wince ever time he looks at his name judging by the amount he rants about centrists ruining the election.
    About 3 days out from the GE, he didn't take it too well when somebody pointed out that PBers were taking the piss
  • Options
    Byronic said:

I don't think the people who will be cheered up by that need cheering up though.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    ydoethur said:

1983 27%
    1987 31%
    1992 34%
    1997 43%
    2001 40%
    2005 36%
    2010 29%
    2015 31%
    2019 33%

Edit - Callaghan got 36%. One and three.

That, though, is partly the result of the party/parties of the centre during that period being the parties of the left of centre. And therefore competing more with Labour for votes.

Of course you might then argue that is the result of the Conservative party being comparatively non ideological, which means they are more likely to hold on to their centrists. (Naturally there are numerous counter-examples to that argument, but they probably don’t invalidate it.)

Teasing apart political cause and effect is never entirely simple.
  • Options

Jason said:

Based on your posts on here, if there were more people like you in Labour, it probably wouldn’t be in the mess it’s in.
  • Options
    Thought this was rather good. Quite telling as well that Jon says it is now ok to criticise Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/1205610758933008384
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    Funny how these pragmatic lefties were all Corbyn apologists before he lost badly...
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Jess Phillips next leader.... of the LibDems?
    New LibDem strategy - don't bother fighting elections, just wait for defections. It sort of worked in the last parliament.
  • Options

RobD said:

About 3 days out from the GE, he didn't take it too well when somebody pointed out that PBers were taking the piss
    Bless.

Let's all remember this chestnut:

https://twitter.com/centrist_phone/status/1203726580947865600
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

Intelligence without common-sense and decency is no use. Can be positively dangerous, in fact.

A lot of seemingly intelligent people lack curiosity about the world, the people around them, beyond their own immediate social circle.
    TBH that 'lack' always strikes me as a waste of intellectual capacity. It's not confined to the left either. Plenty of people on the right seem to believe what's in the Mail or Telegraph without apparently wondering anything.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Hang on, that's the bloody elected mayor posting that bollocks. Where do we find them?
    In the case of Jamie he was the momentum candidate who somehow beat the other options.

What I do remember was he got almost zero second preferences during the election.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

And ultra-Remainers like you. Who lose all common sense, become hysterically upset over everything, see evil heretics everywhere, and believe in miracles like the Second Coming, sorry, Referendum.
    This “ultra-Remainer” has for a very long time been stating that two things are required before this country can move on: Remainers to accept that they lost and Leavers to accept that Brexit is a shitshow. Remainers are showing signs of their bit. Leavers are showing none of theirs, despite precisely none of the touted benefits of a Leave vote having emerged and many vices having crept out of the woodwork.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Bless.

twitter.com/centrist_phone/status/1203726580947865600
    THE REAL END....of any credibility.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    eek said:

In the case of Jamie he was the momentum candidate who somehow beat the other options.

What I do remember was he got almost zero second preferences during the election.
    The Corbynista attack line on the centrists was that they lost millions of votes.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

AnneJGP said:

ydoethur said:

Ratters said:

The real problem with the Coalition was that Clegg was so keen to prove to the world that coalition government could work, that he sacrificed everything to this objective. The result was that Lib Dem spokesmen were given the task of announcing all the bad news, and the Tories took all the credit at the end of the day for the good, sensible policies that the Lib Dems pushed through - even against Tory opposition!

The Tories were ruthless and untrustworthy. And so were Labour - even campaigning against the Coalition on policies which had been in their own manifesto.

All is not lost. If I have placed AnneJGP correctly, the Lib Dems were second in this election in her constituency, and she has a good Lib Dem run council.
    Clegg's problem was that he was too 'liberal'; his opponent (or in this case 'colleague') was as honest as himself and could perhaps be right.
    Nice guys etc.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

Is the peoples vote campaign being disbanded? they haven't updated their website since November and they stopped tweeting on polling day..
  • Options

Funny how these pragmatic lefties were all Corbyn apologists before he lost badly...

That goes for the majority of the PLP too. They all saw him as a useful idiot when he served a purpose - ie to stop Brexit. Now all the hand wringers like Benn and Kinnock are trying desperately to disassociate themselves from him.

It's a defeat they all have to own, because they all supported Corbyn and McDonnell, either overtly or passively.

• Options
    DeClare said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

Is the peoples vote campaign being disbanded? they haven't updated their website since November and they stopped tweeting on polling day..
    Yeah, they said they would no longer be campaigning on that platform.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

RobD said:

RobD said:

Bless.

What's really stupid about that is that all the issues that he is reweighting for are things pollsters themselves consider. It's not like pollsters are simply doing the same thing they did at the previous election, and the election before that, and the one before that...
  • Options
    The Lib Dems have a path back to the highs of Kennedy, they have 100 targets for 2024. And I wonder if now Brexit is out the way whether some votes in the SW might not return to them.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Perhaps they could give Tim Farnon another go. At least people know his name.
  • Options
    glw said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Bless.

What's really stupid about that is that all the issues that he is reweighting for are things pollsters themselves consider. It's not like pollsters are simply doing the same thing they did at the previous election, and the election before that, and the one before that...
    Ya think? :D
  • Options

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

This “ultra-Remainer” has for a very long time been stating that two things are required before this country can move on: Remainers to accept that they lost and Leavers to accept that Brexit is a shitshow. Remainers are showing signs of their bit. Leavers are showing none of theirs, despite precisely none of the touted benefits of a Leave vote having emerged and many vices having crept out of the woodwork.
    One upside to Brexit is that Northern voters have abandoned their devotion to a useless Labour party, and are trying new tastes and flavours. This can only be good for democracy, and might even be good for northern voters. Because, Brexit.

By the way this is EXACTLY what sovereignty Leavers predicted: that Brexit would pump fresh blood into our moribund body politic. And so it is.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/HarlickGabriel/status/1205879523658608640

Christ this nasty piece of work says she wants to be a doctor? Her parents must be so very proud of her.
  • Options
    Jason said:

That goes for the majority of the PLP too. They all saw him as a useful idiot when he served a purpose - ie to stop Brexit. Now all the hand wringers like Benn and Kinnock are trying desperately to disassociate themselves from him.

It's a defeat they all have to own, because they all supported Corbyn and McDonnell, either overtly or passively.

They all kept quiet during the campaign so that the Momentumites can't blame them and their disloyalty for the defeat. Now they are free to say what they want.

This means that the blame is being spattered round in all sorts of random directions - the media, social media and, most bizarrely, London Remainers who pretty much represent the mainstream view of Momentum.

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    On topic: if we take it for granted that the Lib Dems aren't going to pick a Scottish leader again (because 1. all the Scottish seats are marginals and 2. Scotland might have gone by 2024,) and that we're not going to get the Second Coming of Farron either, then that only leaves six possible candidates in the running.

If we then also disqualify Davey (on the grounds of being a Coalition veteran and of having managed to lose against Jo Swinson in a two-horse race,) Olney (on the grounds of having previously lost against Zac Goldsmith in a two-horse race) and Moran (for boyfriend slapping) then that only leaves Wera Hobhouse and the two total newbies standing. Thus it would not be at all surprising if one of them were to win it, surely?
  • Options
    http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/labour

Opportunities for Labour if they don't pick a shit leader again
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Byronic said:

The comments running down the side are priceless.....

This time last week I was just finishing canvassing a road in a council ward that the LibDems and the Tories battle over in the locals.

The returns were:

Firm Con 28, Prob Con 2, Poss Con 6
    Firm Labour 1
    Firm LibDem 1
    Not Conservative/Wouldn't say 8

Didn't want to share before the polls closed, but I did say I was serene.....
  • Options
    Chris said:

Perhaps they could give Tim Farnon another go. At least people know his name.

Is that the same Tim Farnon who's related to Siegfried and Tristan? :smile:
  • Options
    So in 2024, Labour need to make about 60 gains in order to make any decent progress.

That requires a 5.5% swing, has any leader ever achieved such a thing on the Labour side before?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Jason said:

twitter.com/HarlickGabriel/status/1205879523658608640

Christ this nasty piece of work says she wants to be a doctor? Her parents must be so very proud of her.

Another posho by the sounds of it.....getting very angry that working class people dare to vote Tory.

Labour's Maomentum Cult problem summed up. Compare to the reasonable Labour voices, your Alan Johnson's, Caroline Flint, Lisa Nandy etc.
  • Options
    Jason said:

Ugh.Squared, indeed cubed! I'd be a bit more sympathetic if she didn't sound as though she'd come direct from Roedean or similar.
  • Options
    Off Topic
    A conservative approach to climate change. Look for Mrs Thatcher's contribution around 2:30. It's 20 minutes long but worth watching all the way through.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D99qI42KGB0
  • Options
    Jason said:

She's fucking hot tho
  • Options
    Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

My wife works in a private school and yesterday, they had to send a mid 20s teacher home as she was distraught at Corbyn being hammered. She kept saying she couldn't understand how people could not vote for Labour's "progressive policies".
  • Options
    The challenge for those Labour members from the soft left and centre left is to avoid being expelled from the party prior to the leadership election.

Ripping the piss out of one's Momentum comrades is unlikely to end well.
  • Options
    Burgon and RLB IIRC have to get the support of at least 35 Labour MPs to even get to the membership. After 2015, I don’t see Labour MPs backing candidates that they couldn’t live with as leader of the party.

There’s a lot of American commentary on Twitter about this election. One comment that struck me as odd was Bill Maher’s tweet. Sanders and Warren are nowhere near as ‘out there’ as Corbyn is.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

fp for OLBoy

It's grim for Labour.

One upside to Brexit is that Northern voters have abandoned their devotion to a useless Labour party, and are trying new tastes and flavours. This can only be good for democracy, and might even be good for northern voters. Because, Brexit.

By the way this is EXACTLY what sovereignty Leavers predicted: that Brexit would pump fresh blood into our moribund body politic. And so it is.
    What would be good for democracy would be not having a Prime Minister with untrammelled power who led a direct assault on Parliamentary democracy this year. Because Brexit.
  • Options
    Jason said:

She probably represents the mindset of a substantial fraction, if not a majority, of the radicalised Labour Party membership. Which is why all you need to do to deduce the identity of the most likely next Labour leader is go through whatever shortlist makes it through to the vote and pick whichever name on it is the most extreme.

It would be nice to think that Labour would've had a big enough shock to bring it back to its senses, but the problem is that Labour may have no sense left to be brought back to.

Meanwhile, for those desperately trying to palm off all the blame on Brexit:

https://twitter.com/tpgcolson/status/1205513403466502144
  • Options
    Remain seems to have now accepted the result. But I do fear that if Brexit ends up being a shitshow (and it seems like even the best predictions are that Brexit will be marginally worse than Remaining for our economy) it will not be the fault of the Government with a massive majority, it will be the fault of others for not believing enough.

Some of the worst Brexiteers are as bad as the most rabid lefties, only for other reasons.
This discussion has been closed.