Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s Delusions

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited December 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s Delusions

“It takes 20 years to build a reputation and 5 minutes to ruin it.” Buffet’s saying has been one which many in finance have had cause to ponder in recent years. Turned round, it applies to political parties: “a toxic reputation takes 5 minutes to develop, 20 years to shake off.” Consider how long it’s taken the Tories to get past (if they have) the “nasty party” tag. From its development in the 1980s, it was 18 years before the Tories won a majority. Labour’s infiltration by Militant started in the mid-1970s. 1985: Kinnock’s Conference speech; 1997: Blair’s New Dawn.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First, FPT:
    Policy announcment number one from Boris outside of Brexit to win over non metropolitan notherners. Take the £13.4 billion overseas budget. Strip out everything that doesnt serve a wider strategic/economic/diplomatic aim and divert the rest of it to social care, education etc.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    A little off topic but it interest me:

I had a look at the 7 seats where Lib Dem came second to Labour in 2017 to see what happened. All are in England, and voted reman by between 64%-76%

Sheffield Hallam, Leads North West, Cambridge, Bermondsey and old Southwick, Vauxhall, Manchester Withington, Hornsey and wood Green.

I ad thought there might be big increases for the Lib Dems, even if they did not take them. Partly I thought that the Lib Dem revock policy might be popular, second the assumed unpopularity of Corbyn would be shared here.

But: to my surprises no, the Lib Dem vote when down in some and the increase in the Lib Dme vote was smaller than national increase in all bar one.

Any thought?

Could it be)
    a) That the Lib Dem party did not put resources in to these? as the focuses was on Tory seats?
    b) Perhaps Lab put a lot of effort in to keep them?
    c) Some 'one off' factors in each one?
    d) something else?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

First, FPT:
    Policy announcment number one from Boris outside of Brexit to win over non metropolitan notherners. Take the £13.4 billion overseas budget. Strip out everything that doesnt serve a wider strategic/economic/diplomatic aim and divert the rest of it to social care, education etc.

yup

just spend it on uni fees, apologise to young people for Osborne screwing them and watch the numbers change.
  • Options

First, FPT:

One advantage of Boris having a big majority is he can make really bold changes without the worry of what the media backlash will be. But with any new government you need to make those changes in the first couple of years.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2019
    Either we ditch the Momentum cult - or Labour becomes a cult itself, says former Home Secretary ALAN JOHNSON

If the Brexit Party hadn’t split the vote, we’d have lost my old seat in West Hull and John Prescott’s in East Hull. Ed Miliband would have been defeated, as would Yvette Cooper and many more in Labour heartlands where working class voters have stuck with us from the steam age to the era of the internet.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7793245/Either-ditch-Momentum-cult-Labour-cult-says-ALAN-JOHNSON.html
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Reposted, FPT:

Interestingly I see Corbyn released a video with the slogan "Our Time Will Come".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/15/i-own-this-disaster-john-mcdonnell-tries-to-shield-corbyn-rebecca-long-bailey

Wasn't that the motto of the Provisional IRA? (Tiocfaidh ár lá)

I suppose he no longer even has to hide it now.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Fishing said:

Reposted, FPT:

Interestingly I see Corbyn released a video with the slogan "Our Time Will Come".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/15/i-own-this-disaster-john-mcdonnell-tries-to-shield-corbyn-rebecca-long-bailey

One more heave.....

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1206126669616107521
  • Options

First, FPT:

Tbh I suspect foreign aid might be one of those totem issues that stir up a few on the right but that does not greatly trouble the average voter. Once you have taken out the parts that do serve wider diplomatic aims, especially when we are looking to make post-Brexit deals, there probably is not enough cash left to make the game worth the candle.

Now, if you wanted to make aid more hard-headed like China which has bought half of Africa and created jobs for Africans, that is a different story.
  • Options

First, FPT:

I quite agree, though I'd spend it on infrastructure rather than social spending in the north myself.

Also the 11 billion NI subsidies must be looking very tempting now that he no longer needs DUP votes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    A good header from Ms Cyclefree - with some classy turns of phrase.

"the Tories made 18 glorious summers of Labour’s Winter of Discontent" was top drawer.
  • Options

First, FPT:

yup

just spend it on uni fees, apologise to young people for Osborne screwing them and watch the numbers change.
    Keep the fee system but give graduates in qualifying subjects a "mortgage bond" towards the deposit on their first property.
  • Options

First, FPT:

yup

Yes. A student offer would be very magnanimous but it isnt needed. My thoughts are a straight graduate tax for tuition fees with graduates with existing debt able to swap from the debt to a tax.

You start the tax at the starting rate for basic rate but its low. One or two % on the basic rate for life, rather than nine percent over £25k as it is now with very little realistic chance of the debt ever being cleared.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Reposted, FPT:

One more heave.....

twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1206126669616107521
    Interesting that unlike Boris, he didn't mention those that didn't vote Labour. He thanks those that did, but nothing for all those life-long Labour supporters who switched to Tory.

Compare and contrast with Boris, who got the tone just right with his wavering over the ballot paper stuff and also talking about those that didn't vote for him / Tories.
  • Options

First, FPT:

One advantage of Boris having a big majority is he can make really bold changes without the worry of what the media backlash will be. But with any new government you need to make those changes in the first couple of years.
    You have a hundred days to whatever you want to do....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited December 2019
    Any half-way sensible Twitter post by anyone on the left trying to assess what went wrong is just packed with Momentum blowhards trying to ease their pain by drowning out all conflicting voices. They make them unreadable - just because of how damn thick they come across.

Anyone wanting to help revive the Labour brand is going to have to wade through this shit up to their chin first.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,896
    edited December 2019
    Regarding Caroline Flint's revelations re Thornberry, is anyone surprised? Did anyone really believe she wasn't thinking exactly that when she posted the photo of the St George's flag in Rochester? If so I think it was another case of hearing what you wanted to hear and disregarding the rest
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Any half-way sensible Twitter post by anyone on the left trying to assess what went wrong is just packed with Momentum blowhards trying to ease their pain by drowning out all conflicting voices. They make them unreadable - just because of how damn thick they come across.

Anyone wanting to help revive the Labour brand is going to have to wade through this shit up to their chin first.

Well the Messiah is fueling it. We woz right, we won the argument, it was the medja, was Brexit.

No you tw@t, it was you, it was your hard left politics, you nasty bunch of cult member bullying your own MPs and unwilling to canvas for those that isn't 100% onboard with the project.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

First, FPT:

yup

Yup.

Take money from the Third World and give it to the British middle class.

It has its points. But probably more the kind of thing you promise to do before an election, rather than just after having won one.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited December 2019
    The key group Labour has lost is the aspirational, skilled working classes.

In 1997 50% of C2s voted for Blair and New Labour, in 2019 by contrast Corbyn Labour won just 30% of C2s.

Labour's rating amongst upper middle class ABs though is unchanged, it was 31% in 1997 and 31% last Thursday

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-1997

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/12/how-britain-voted-and-why-my-2019-general-election-post-vote-poll/
  • Options

Labour needs to think about what matters to the average family living in one of the seats we've just lost. Both parents working, 2 kids at the local school, one wants to go to Uni, the other would rather get an apprenticeship. Live in a nice house they own with a mortgage. Elderly grandparents, not in the best of health.

Here's a couple of tips - NHS, education, economy, social care. It's basic stuff.

Labour has been fixated on the top 10% and the bottom 10%. Time to think about the other 80%.

If you are a marxist there is no other 80%.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Labour needs to think about what matters to the average family living in one of the seats we've just lost. Both parents working, 2 kids at the local school, one wants to go to Uni, the other would rather get an apprenticeship. Live in a nice house they own with a mortgage. Elderly grandparents, not in the best of health.

Here's a couple of tips - NHS, education, economy, social care. It's basic stuff.

Labour has been fixated on the top 10% and the bottom 10%. Time to think about the other 80%.

Its also about aspiration. It is why Thatcher was successful, stuff like owning your own house. Its not about free everything, it is about restoring the bond of trust that a) you work hard, you will succeed in society and b) if you do fall on hard times, there is a safety net there, but not so generous that it is counter to your best interests to strive for work.

a) is really hard with globalization, rise of China, rise of ML / AI and will be the issue for the next 20 years, especially when middle class jobs starting going.
  • Options
    Chris said:

First, FPT:

yup

Yup.

It has its points. But probably more the kind of thing you promise to do before an election, rather than just after having won one.
    It would be better to spend it on sorting out universal credit, with one off grants to get rid of the 5 week period of no income which is pushing many UC claimants into debt and foodbanks. It would be much more popular to divert this 'foreign aid' into helping hard pressed UK people.
  • Options
    It's not that Labour's economic policy in isolation was totally mad, I think 2017 got the balance reasonably right (and you can see that in the Tories moving to the left economically) but 2019 went far too far.

Strip away the WASPI, broadband, etc. rubbish and stick with a couple of pragmatic things like railways and investing in the NHS and Labour would have walked it with a sane leader.

The problem is that Corbyn arguing for some moderate policies didn't make them look moderate. If a leader like Starmer or Nandy had argued for railway nationalisation when the franchises expire, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Labour needs pragmatic policy, not ideological policy. They also need a patriotic leader and somebody out of London.

It's Dan Jarvis, Lisa Nandy or at a stretch perhaps Stephen Kinnock. They can all work and build sensible cabinets that can argue for these policies.

They only have to look less crap than Johnson, which should be easy because he's a buffoon (and most Labour voters who went to him I think did so because he just looked less crap than Corbyn) and they need to look like a sensible, pragmatic alternative Government and they will have a good chance at the very least, making progress in 2024.

Or they can take the RLB and double down with Momentum and ideological policies and spend 10 more years in opposition.

Those of us that actually want the Tories out and a moderate, pragmatic Labour Government, really need to join the party and vote against the Corbynite.
  • Options
    Why are people so attached to Labour as if it were a football team they support? After each electoral disaster with a leader they think is useless, we hear the same old same old. Let it die, let it go.

It doesn't mean a century of Tory rule, even if many "Labour supporters" are actually Tory voters now. It probably is the time to get behind some kind of TIG/ChangeUK organisation and let unpopular Corbyn and the SWP have the corpse; there are 5 years to go until next GE, so its a better time to restart than the ham fisted attempts to set up a new organisation whilst trying to overturn a democratic vote
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,235
    edited December 2019
    Fishing said:

First, FPT:

I quite agree, though I'd spend it on infrastructure rather than social spending in the north myself.

Also the 11 billion NI subsidies must be looking very tempting now that he no longer needs DUP votes.
    I'm not convinced Boris wants to preside over the reunification of Ireland break-up of the United Kingdom. Especially once it has dawned on him that he really has put a border down the Irish Sea, despite his protestations to the contrary.

To be blunt, Ireland used to be an economic basket case but now the south is more prosperous than the north (although very uneven) and any additional costs of reunification will surely be borne by generous aid from Europe and America.

Boris cannot politically afford to take money out of Northern Ireland. Quite the reverse: he might need to invest even more.
  • Options
    On topic:

"The one thing which all good leaders have is courage."

I'm not sure I agree. Blair was fundamentally a coward, except over Iraq. He spent his whole time as leader in exaggerated fear of the reactions of the Mail and the Sun. Even the Iraq war, justified or not, was essentially him cowering to the Americans to beat up a much weaker country.

The thing which all successful leaders need is judgement. If they don't have that, luck will substitute. Blair had the latter in abundance. His judgement was patchy. The last politician we had with both luck and judgement was ousted almost thirty years ago when both failed her.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

A good header from Ms Cyclefree - with some classy turns of phrase.

"the Tories made 18 glorious summers of Labour’s Winter of Discontent" was top drawer.

Well crafted arguments, none of which the Labour membership will be interested in hearing. At least not the radical majority of it.

Only one criterion matters to them: which candidate is the most ideologically pure? That'll decide the next leader.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Reposted, FPT:

Certainly the Tories will be eternally grateful to Corbyn for organizing their most effective ever, get out the vote.
  • Options
    Chris said:

First, FPT:

yup

Yup.

The system as it is constructed is unsustainable and will tax the younger generation twice. Once on fees and once on the inevitable write-offs.

The foreign aid budget diktat that we pay 0.7% of GDP was simply noblesse oblige from Cameron and Clegg, a hangover of headier days when Britain had an Empire.
    Its bollocks.

As for taking money from the Third World, they do well enough without us. China has been bankrolling projects faster than we ever can and don't attach all the moral cant that goes with it.

So yes, lets fund our own future and invest in our own kids.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

It's not that Labour's economic policy in isolation was totally mad, I think 2017 got the balance reasonably right (and you can see that in the Tories moving to the left economically) but 2019 went far too far.

Strip away the WASPI, broadband, etc. rubbish and stick with a couple of pragmatic things like railways and investing in the NHS and Labour would have walked it with a sane leader.

I am not totally convinced nationalization of lots of industries is quite as popular as it is perceived. I know polling says it is, but when offered it as GE, the public don't seem to go for it.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,336
    A very astute piece. This may also be one of the most important Labour leadership elections ever too, given how close the party came to wipeout in the north and there's no easily solution that can solve the split between (many now former) Labour voters in northern towns and London and university cities.
  • Options

First, FPT:

You have a hundred days to whatever you want to do....
    Governments need to front-end-load their programmes with things that might be initially unpopular or controversial. You probably have a year or two, after 5 years hopefully they will be bearing fruit
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

The Dail Mirror front page was a massive error of judgement.
  • Options
    Fake News spreader complains about Fake News...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgKeTJwyzRE
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2019

I am not totally convinced nationalization of lots of industries is quite as popular as it is perceived. I know polling says it is, but when offered it as GE, the public don't seem to go for it.
    In 2017 they only promised railways didn't they?

I am saying they take the railways back into public ownership - and that's it.

They can argue that on pragmatic grounds, without being seen as anti-business. That policy was fine, it just came in the baggage of all the other rubbish.
  • Options
    Chris said:

First, FPT:

yup

Yup.

Errr ... it's not TAKING money from the Third World. They don't have an entitlement to British taxpayers' cash. It's not spraying it at them, at a rate much higher than almost any other country.

British taxpayers' money should be spent on the many worthy causes in the UK. If some want to do something about poverty in the Third World, there are dozens of good charities. This is not an area where the Government needs to intervene.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Chris said:

First, FPT:

yup

Yup.

The system as it is constructed is unsustainable and will tax the younger generation twice. Once on fees and once on the inevitable write-offs.

The foreign aid budget diktat that we pay 0.7% of GDP was simply noblesse oblige from Cameron and Clegg, a hangover of headier days when Britain had an Empire.
    Its bollocks.

As for taking money from the Third World, they do well enough without us. China has been bankrolling projects faster than we ever can and don't attach all the moral cant that goes with it.

There's also very little to no evidence that foreign aid has a positive long term impact on 3rd world countries.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

They can argue that on pragmatic grounds, without being seen as anti-business. That policy was fine, it just came in the baggage of all the other rubbish.
    A policy of letting the contract lapse isn't the worst. As it isn't "stealing" anything or putting somebody out of business overnight.

But if I was Labour I would be focusing on the fighting the future battles, not the past. We can argue was privatisation of utilities good or not, but we are where we are.

The big future battle is that the world is rapidly evolving, China are going to become the world power, the Far East more important than ever, globalization, rise of ML / AI technologies, and all this will impact not just the current "left behind" but increasingly loads of people in what are deemed professional careers.
  • Options
    Foreign Aid - one way to kill 2 birds with one stone with this if is to continue is to say only nations heading towards zero carbon will get aid from us.

It's no use us cutting our emissions if the developing world is developing with our money and building coal power plants.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

The problem is that Corbyn arguing for some moderate policies didn't make them look moderate. If a leader like Starmer or Nandy had argued for railway nationalisation when the franchises expire, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Labour needs pragmatic policy, not ideological policy. They also need a patriotic leader and somebody out of London.

It's Dan Jarvis, Lisa Nandy or at a stretch perhaps Stephen Kinnock. They can all work and build sensible cabinets that can argue for these policies.

They only have to look less crap than Johnson, which should be easy because he's a buffoon (and most Labour voters who went to him I think did so because he just looked less crap than Corbyn) and they need to look like a sensible, pragmatic alternative Government and they will have a good chance at the very least, making progress in 2024.

Or they can take the RLB and double down with Momentum and ideological policies and spend 10 more years in opposition.

Those of us that actually want the Tories out and a moderate, pragmatic Labour Government, really need to join the party and vote against the Corbynite.

As Cyclefree said the first thing that needs to be done is take nastiness out of the Labour party, no more labelling anybody that is slightly right as a facist, no more calling people that want to talk sensibly about immigration a racist. At the moment too much of the Labour Party is a hate filled sewer. They will never get swing voters until this is sorted.

Second do not underestimate Boris, he may act like a buffoon but behind him are some seriously smart people and more importantly they play to win, sometime too aggressively. 3 months ago all the so called intelligent commentators thought Boris was a busted flush, losing in Parliament, being accused of dodgy prorogation's, 21 rebels being sacked (terrible move apparently) and being accused of being a far right nationalist. Now with a splash of Cummings he is master of his own party, the Government of his choice and Country broadly behind him if a little sceptical. The last thing the Labour party should do is just dis him as a buffon.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Chameleon said:

Chris said:

First, FPT:

yup

Yup.

Its bollocks.

There's also very little to no evidence that foreign aid has a positive long term impact on 3rd world countries.
    A system for transferring wealth from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.

As a nation we manage to be racist even about charitable giving - see recent fuss about the RNLI spending money overseas. I can't see "let's take all the money we spend on overseas aid snd give it to the NHS" going down badly with the electorate.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Chameleon said:

Chris said:

First, FPT:

yup

Yup.

Its bollocks.

The target itself is very problematic in another way. GDP is always being updated, and this frequently results in large sums of money being tacked onto the DFID budget towards the end of each financial year. There is then a panic flap as the department tries to find things to spend the extra cash on. The expenditure is thus unplanned and often wasted.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    Fishing said:

First, FPT:

He still needs to demonstrate the benefits of constructive engagement with the UK Government for parties representing the home nations. I find a lot of the talk here that he can 'now tell the DUP to fuck off' based on the parliamentary arithmetic to be rather dated and missing the point. He needs to bring the DUP (and as much as possible the other NI parties) on board with his vision for NI.
  • Options
    Excellent thread - but as the Corbyn video shows there is no intention to excise the cancer that is Momentum. From its beginning Labour (owes more to Methodism than Marxism) has had to fight off Communist, Leninist, Trotskyist & Stalinist (yes Seamus, you) entryists. Membership of Momentum should preclude membership of Labour - but I fear the disease has spread too far.
  • Options

But what about Transgender rights? That's what Maomentum want to know!
  • Options
    Were the leading Tories in 1997 so totally unwavering in their public proclamations that they were absolutely right and everybody else was wrong?
  • Options
    Good thread in content and format.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Do you remember British Rail? The railways now carry many more passengers than BR ever did, it was at the beck and call of the unions even more so than now. The problem is that if nationalized it won’t attract the management it needs or make the correct investment decisions. What is wrong is that the privatization model is ill thought out that’s what needs addressing.
  • Options

But what about Transgender rights? That's what Maomentum want to know!
    Isn't that Prime Minister Swinson xMP's main concern?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

I have just joined the Labour Party. Time to kick the Corbynites out.

Good luck! Who is your favoured candidate? It's at times like these I'm glad that we have an anti-entryism policy. We'd never get a Jez situation.
  • Options

Excellent thread - but as the Corbyn video shows there is no intention to excise the cancer that is Momentum. From its beginning Labour (owes more to Methodism than Marxism) has had to fight off Communist, Leninist, Trotskyist & Stalinist (yes Seamus, you) entryists. Membership of Momentum should preclude membership of Labour - but I fear the disease has spread too far.

I guess the only hope is that all these younger Maomentum types have a similar type conversion to the likes of Alan Johnson, who when he was very young was very left wing, then living in the real world of work, realized that Marxism is bonkers.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019
    One thing is for sure, if the Corbynistas thought the media was against them before they ain't seen nothin'. They are going to get marmalised in the press judging by how reporters seem to have gotten pissed off by the cult's antics. Comments by them since the election are quite revealing.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    It's funny that the idea of Labour gaining North East Derbyshire is in itself funny.
  • Options
    6 months before Election day the polls read

Brexit Party 24
    Con 21
    Lab 21
    LD 19
    Green 9
  • Options
    Nice to see the mainstream press catch up to the PB from a couple of hours ago!
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Second do not underestimate Boris, he may act like a buffoon but behind him are some seriously smart people and more importantly they play to win, sometime too aggressively. 3 months ago all the so called intelligent commentators thought Boris was a busted flush, losing in Parliament, being accused of dodgy prorogation's, 21 rebels being sacked (terrible move apparently) and being accused of being a far right nationalist. Now with a splash of Cummings he is master of his own party, the Government of his choice and Country broadly behind him if a little sceptical. The last thing the Labour party should do is just dis him as a buffon.

Even you are underestimating Boris. He won a scholarship to Eton and studied PPE at Balliol, one of Oxford's most intellectually rigorous colleges, if not the most. Academic intelligence is not perfectly correlated with judgement, but it is an important pre-requisite.

I met Boris a couple of times (briefly) professionally when he was Mayor of London and he has a mind like a bacon-slicer. It really comes across when he is interested in soemthing. His big disadvantage in governing is a total disinterest in policy detail when he isn't, but that's not a fatal one, as Reagan showed.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

It's not that Labour's economic policy in isolation was totally mad....

Er.......actually it was.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Do you remember British Rail? The railways now carry many more passengers than BR ever did, it was at the beck and call of the unions even more so than now. The problem is that if nationalized it won’t attract the management it needs or make the correct investment decisions. What is wrong is that the privatization model is ill thought out that’s what needs addressing.
    If Labour wants to propose a better solution again on pragmatic grounds I am all for it. But I do think the railways can be sold on pragmatic grounds: “the French and the Germans run our railways why can’t we”.

• Options
    Personally I’d focus more on bus services. They would actually win votes that way.
  • Options
    Personally I’d focus more on bus services. They would actually win votes that way.
    nunu2 said:

It's not that Labour's economic policy in isolation was totally mad....

Er.......actually it was.
    There were elements in isolation that weren’t. The majority of it was.
  • Options

Were the leading Tories in 1997 so totally unwavering in their public proclamations that they were absolutely right and everybody else was wrong?

I don't think so, they were utterly battered and beaten down.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    MaxPB said:

Nice to see the mainstream press catch up to the PB from a couple of hours ago!
    It is as if they read it :-) Waves....
  • Options

nichomar said:

If Labour wants to propose a better solution again on pragmatic grounds I am all for it. But I do think the railways can be sold on pragmatic grounds: “the French and the Germans run our railways why can’t we”.

Actually the French and Germans can't run their railways, it's as bad as it is here. Especially on commuter rail. The subsidy there is much higher than it is here as well.

There is a big discussion to be has about how we can improve rail services, nationalisation is not some kind of silver bullet, but it should be part of the discussion, yes.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    FPT
    @FrancisUrquhart said
    Could this alleged comment by Thornberry turn into the "no money left" note of 2019?

The thing is not only is it totally believable Thornberry would say such a thing, I think lots of Northern voters in places like Stoke think that is exactly what lots of politicians / media types think of their decision to vote Leave.

I saw James O'Brien interviewed by Owen Jones and he pretty much said exactly this i.e. these people are so thick they are going to vote to be worse off.
    What I dont get is the likes of O'Brien, and the many others who surely cant be as stupid as they make themselves look when they say this, constantly vote to make themselves worse off as wealthy Labour/Lib Dem voters, the Tories generally being lower taxers.

• Options

nichomar said:

because we sold it to the french and germans. And water and electricity.

If you want all these things back you have to stump up.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

It is notable that those most in favour of nationalisation have little - or no - direct experience of it.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GBR_rail_passengers_by_year_1830-2015.png#/media/File:GBR_rail_passengers_by_year_1830-2015.png
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363

The thing is, in 1997, there wasn't actually a fat lot betwern Tory and Labour in policy terms - at least compared to now. Policy differences were quibbles rather than fundamental points of principle.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Labour need a bigger swing in England and Wales than Blair achieved in 1997. Think about that for a minute.

And that's assuming the Tories don't recover in Scotland and gain 10-12 seats there.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

Actually the French and Germans can't run their railways, it's as bad as it is here. Especially on commuter rail. The subsidy there is much higher than it is here as well.

There is a big discussion to be has about how we can improve rail services, nationalisation is not some kind of silver bullet, but it should be part of the discussion, yes.
    my brother works in Germany and says Deutsche Bahn is a basket case. He cant rely on a single train and has to start out an hour earlier just to guarantee reaching his destination on time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Labour need a bigger swing in England and Wales than Blair achieved in 1997. Think about that for a minute.

Although they only need 5.5% to form a minority Government. Or a higher swing in 2030 when the Corbynite candidate loses again.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Many senior SLab figures are now saying the party needs to back IndyRef2 (not to support a yes vote. Just to support having the vote)

This is pretty seismic. It's not just one or two.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Although they only need 5.5% to form a minority Government. Or a higher swing in 2030 when the Corbynite candidate loses again.
    The big disadvantage when you are in opposition and especially against a government with a big majority, the party of government have all the levers of power. They get to pick when to hold the GE, they get to put forward the budgets, etc without worrying your own MPs will put a spanner in the works.

It makes it even harder for the opposition.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Thinking back the Peterborough by-election result was amazing for the Tories.

The BXP didn't win, which could have given them REAL momentum. Labour did, which made them think they were doing well and the Tory showing in third place was strong enough to show a potential revival was on the cards from a low point.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

That's a very tough sell to the public though. "Vote Labour for a hung parliament that will have to beg the SNP for help".

Labour are in a huge fucking bind, I honestly can't plot a way back for them for at least three cycles.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited December 2019
    Alistair said:

Many senior SLab figures are now saying the party needs to back IndyRef2 (not to support a yes vote. Just to support having the vote)

Is Ian Murray saying it? As he is the only SLab MP left whatever any one else says is irrelevant
  • Options

MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

my brother works in Germany and says Deutsche Bahn is a basket case. He cant rely on a single train and has to start out an hour earlier just to guarantee reaching his destination on time.
    It seems the only successful case study in this area is Mussolini.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Even you are underestimating Boris. He won a scholarship to Eton and studied PPE at Balliol, one of Oxford's most intellectually rigorous colleges, if not the most.
    Up to a point Lord Copper - he studied Literae humaniores or 'Greats' - like Denis Healey, also a Balliol man, and probably less harmful than PPE.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

The thing is, in 1997, there wasn't actually a fat lot betwern Tory and Labour in policy terms - at least compared to now. Policy differences were quibbles rather than fundamental points of principle.
    If only 2024 we returned to such a scenario....I live in hope.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Which is a huge help for the Tories and Lib Dems in 2024. If Labour can't be trusted on the Union it means the 55% will be split over 2 parties rather than 3.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Watch from min 6....This is from 5 weeks before the GE i.e. the campaign hadn't even really started.

https://youtu.be/vdxqWHVTjk8?t=354
  • Options

MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

Lol..

BERLIN (AP) - Climate activist Greta Thunberg and Germany's national railway company created a tweetstorm Sunday after she posted a photo of herself sitting on the floor of a train surrounded by lots of bags.
    The image has drawn plenty of comment online about the performance of German railways

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-7794471/Going-home-Thunberg-stuck-floor-crowded-German-train.html
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I think "senior" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there....
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Even you are underestimating Boris. He won a scholarship to Eton and studied PPE at Balliol, one of Oxford's most intellectually rigorous colleges, if not the most. Academic intelligence is not perfectly correlated with judgement, but it is an important pre-requisite.

I met Boris a couple of times (briefly) professionally when he was Mayor of London and he has a mind like a bacon-slicer. It really comes across when he is interested in soemthing. His big disadvantage in governing is a total disinterest in policy detail when he isn't, but that's not a fatal one, as Reagan showed.
    So if he's got a mind like a bacon-slicer, how did he come to be so confused as to think the DUP had backed his deal?

It was just about the most crucial political issue of the moment, and apparently he didn't have a clue.

Neurological degeneration since you met him, or what?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Alistair said:

I think "senior" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there....
    I assume that it's senior in the age aspect rather than political standing. Advanced dementia is the only thing that can make a person think that this would improve Lab's predicament.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

nichomar said:

UK rail subsidy as a percentage of GDP per journey.png
    By Absolutelypuremilk - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link

The history of UK rail summarised in 2 sentences'.

Rail use increased when before the trains where nationalised and after they where privatised. rail use when down slowly and steadily when operating under ownership.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Chris said:

Fishing said:

So if he's got a mind like a bacon-slicer, how did he come to be so confused as to think the DUP had backed his deal?

It was just about the most crucial political issue of the moment, and apparently he didn't have a clue.

Boris' issue there is his total lack of honesty, not his lack of intelligence. He betrayed his commitments to the DUP so it's easier to pretend they agree with him rather than admit he sold them down the river.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Is Ian Murray saying it? As he is the only SLab MP left whatever any one else says is irrelevant
    Errr, MSPs? Defeated MPs? They don't count?
  • Options

GBR rail passengers by year 1830-2015.png
    By Absolutelypuremilk, following on from a previous version by Tompw - {{The data comes from:
    ATOC's 2008 publication Billion Passenger Railway for 1830 to 2001
    The UK Office of Rail Regulation (ORR), specifically Passenger journeys by sector - table for 2002 onwards. The plotted data is the sum of the "Total franchised passenger journeys" and "Non franchised" columns
    From 1984-2014, the point plotted at a given year is actually the financial year, or the last three quarters of the calendar year given and the first quarter of the calendar year afterwards. So, the point at "1985" is the year from April 1985 to March 1986.}}, CC BY-SA 4.0, Link

Better graph from Wikipedia, train use in the UK under private and government ownership.
  • Options

Oh god yes! Everyone had been tricked by Blair, the veil will fall very quickly and we will see him for what he is. A fraud, a trickster, it won’t take long. He’ll ruin everything, run out of cash, dead bodies unburied 3 day week.

Thirteen long years later we only won as a coalition and even that had required labour to set fire to the furniture and defecate on the carpet.
  • Options

Indeed.

Talking about rough sleepers or food banks or zero hour contracts is irrelevant to most people.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

Boris' issue there is his total lack of honesty, not his lack of intelligence. He betrayed his commitments to the DUP so it's easier to pretend they agree with him rather than admit he sold them down the river.
    So your theory is that he was telling a blatant lie about something that was not only a matter of public record, but was the central political issue at the time - so that every person with even the most passing interest in politics would know he was lying?

Fair enough as a plea that he's not actually suffering from dementia - but as evidence of razor-sharp intelligence ... ?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

And yet, we suffered a considerably bigger defeat than Labour did on Thursday. There really is no justice in politics...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Oh god yes! Everyone had been tricked by Blair, the veil will fall very quickly and we will see him for what he is. A fraud, a trickster, it won’t take long. He’ll ruin everything, run out of cash, dead bodies unburied 3 day week.

Thirteen long years later we only won as a coalition and even that had required labour to set fire to the furniture and defecate on the carpet.
    There was the guy who said that the country didn't want to hear from the tories for a very long time...
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

They'll find it hard to tell the truth: that they and Corbyn failed.

It means accepting their argument didn't persuade reasonable people.

Cling to myths about the influence of plutocrats and the ignorance of the masses, brainwashed by a media that was always out to get them, and suddenly it's not their fault. And their arguments haven't been fairly rejected.

With a priori thinking there's always a zealot willing to try and change the facts to fit their 'reality'.
  • Options
    Not to keep spamming, but again worth watching...You can see how Labour got everything wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4uIC0AwD68
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    edited December 2019
    Chris said:

FF43 said:

Chris said:

Fishing said:

So your theory is that he was telling a blatant lie about something that was not only a matter of public record, but was the central political issue at the time - so that every person with even the most passing interest in politics would know he was lying?

Fair enough as a plea that he's not actually suffering from dementia - but as evidence of razor-sharp intelligence ... ?
    I agree with Fishing that Johnson has a sporadic intellectual curiosity.

A surprising large number of people are unaware, or at least pretend not to notice, just how fraudulent Johnson is.
  • Options
    So brexit derangement syndrome has morphed into Boris derangement syndrome. I predict it's going to be a tough 5 years for some people.
This discussion has been closed.