Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s impeachment has almost no impact on the WH2020 betting

12346»

Comments

• A true one nation government Boris Johnson leads.

Priti Pratel is really showing off her liberal attitudes.
    Priti Patel recently stood up for enhanced rights for British Citizens Overseas in Hong Kong.

As a Ugandan Asian I suspect she values the last resort option of refuge.
  • Remind us how many of those refugee children Nicola put up again?
    Remind me how many of his own children (a difficult to ascertain number of course) BJ has put up again?
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Quincel said:

I probably spunk best part of £100 on purchasing coffee each month.

It must be 80%+ gross profit to the coffee chains on that.

I had no idea filter coffee was so wildly available for a quid. Now I know, I’ll definitely try that.

It’s the caffeine I’m after, not a string of anglicised continental adjectives.

People can spend their money on basically whatever they want, but I will confess that this sort of thing always shocks me. Likewise £1,000 mobile phones. As someone who spends nothing on snack food/drink out and has a £150 mobile on a SIM-only plan (£6/month) it's mad that there are people sat next to me at the office living seemingly similar lives to mine but with literally thousands of pounds each year being spent on things I can't appreciate any value in.
    Wow, now there’s a virtue signal if ever I saw one!
    I hope you don't see it that way, because I'm not trying to judge either of us. I'm saying that it always amazes me how broad the spectrum of decisions/experiences is even in strata of society which are pretty close on many other areas. Hence that my colleagues on the next desk, who have similar lives to me in so many ways, are so distant in others.

There's a lot of talk these days about the different lives of towns vs cities and Leave vs Remain, but we overlook how different lives can be even within similar groups.
  • Quincel said:

Quincel said:

I had no idea filter coffee was so wildly available for a quid. Now I know, I’ll definitely try that.

People can spend their money on basically whatever they want, but I will confess that this sort of thing always shocks me. Likewise £1,000 mobile phones. As someone who spends nothing on snack food/drink out and has a £150 mobile on a SIM-only plan (£6/month) it's mad that there are people sat next to me at the office living seemingly similar lives to mine but with literally thousands of pounds each year being spent on things I can't appreciate any value in.
    I hope you don't see it that way, because I'm not trying to judge either of us. I'm saying that it always amazes me how broad the spectrum of decisions/experiences is even in strata of society which are pretty close on many other areas. Hence that my colleagues on the next desk, who have similar lives to me in so many ways, are so distant in others.

There's a lot of talk these days about the different lives of towns vs cities and Leave vs Remain, but we overlook how different lives can be even within similar groups.
    I’m not proud of spending £100 on coffee. Just lazy.

I don’t spend very much on haircuts, clothes, gyms or TV subscriptions though.

I do spend a fair bit on food and drink.
  • A true one nation government Boris Johnson leads.

Priti Patel recently stood up for enhanced rights for British Citizens Overseas in Hong Kong.

So how many Hong Kong freedom fighters are we going to take in?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

A true one nation government Boris Johnson leads.

I imagine she'll replace it with something better.

When these 'children' seeking asylum turn out to be 35, and the find themselves in a school class, there just may be the chance that something better could be done.

Priti Patel is very capable in my view, and I hope that given the time and opportunity that she now has she'll deliver some good measures.

Either you're misusing the term 'liberal' or you've failed to work out what the Tory party stands for.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,728

So how many Hong Kong freedom fighters are we going to take in?
    Hacker: British foreign policy should defend the weak against the strong!

Appleby: Then why do we not send troops to Afghanistan to fight the Russians?

Hacker: The Russians are too strong.
  • Omnium said:

I imagine she'll replace it with something better.

When these 'children' seeking asylum turn out to be 35, and the find themselves in a school class, there just may be the chance that something better could be done.

Priti Patel is very capable in my view, and I hope that given the time and opportunity that she now has she'll deliver some good measures.

Either you're misusing the term 'liberal' or you've failed to work out what the Tory party stands for.
    I was under the impression that TSE had very much worked out what the current iteration of the Tory party stands for.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited December 2019
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The problem was that all the 'New Centrist Party' proposals in recent years were bourne primarily out of the desire of metropolitan liberals taking an extreme position of trying to overturn the 2016 EU referendum, rather than a genuinely centrist position. The 'centre ground' in London and on Twitter, is definitely not the centre ground in the country as a whole.

Many of us have said that government needs good opposition though, and if Labour go with another Corbynite and the LDs can't drop their devotion to the EU, there's definitely a gap in the middle for a party that's fiscally sound and libertarian.
    Whilst we all need to move on and accept Brexit is happening, we dont need to accept remain is or was an extremist position or solely the domain of metropolitan liberals. Pretty much half the country want to remain and half the country want to leave. Remain isnt the centre ground on Brexit, but that is because there no longer is a centre ground on Brexit if there ever was.
    Pretty close to half voted to remain, indeed, but it's a very select group of Metropolitans that have spent the last three years attempting to overturn the result by any means necessary.
    By definition the people withe the power to influence policy at that level are a select group, and most live in London because thats where parliament is.

Your interpretation of events is based on your leave perceptions and a recency bias, for most of the 3 year period most of the "remain" politicians were trying to get a soft Brexit. It is only in the last year and mainly the last 9 months when it switched to 2nd ref and revoke.
    Sandpit is either still fighting the last election
    I think "he"* won it..

*Or those he supported..
    Which makes his stance all the more ridiculous.
    Okay, I'll bite. What's ridiculous about wanting to implement the result of the referendum?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    We will continue to support the First
    Past the Post system of voting, as it
    allows voters to kick out politicians
    who don’t deliver, both locally and
    nationally.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited December 2019

Quincel said:

Quincel said:

I’m not proud of spending £100 on coffee. Just lazy.

I don’t spend very much on haircuts, clothes, gyms or TV subscriptions though.

I do spend a fair bit on food and drink.
    Spending three quid on a coffee from a chain on a regular basis is absolutely bonkers. That's £2,000 of your income on coffee each year.
  • NEW THREAD

• CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Sandpit said:

Even with a decent sized majority, stuff like that is going to struggle to get through.

The antics of the anti-Brexit MPs really have opened Pandora’s box of constitutional vandalism, but the government would be better off trying to get it closed again.
    Imagine having your judges chosen by Claudia Webbe and co.,.
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Of course it might still be their intention but they might not want to commit to it in legislation
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Barnesian said:

As I predicted, Zac carries on in his job.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50855291

At least that's 1 prediction you got right...
  • SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

Remain isnt the centre ground on Brexit, but that is because there no longer is a centre ground on Brexit if there ever was.

There was a centre ground.

I started out post-ref wanting an exit that respected the result but also acknowledged the 48% who wanted to remain. A soft Brexit.

By the end I was so sick of remainer games that I wanted to rub their noses in the hardest Brexit possible.
  • SunnyJim said:

Remain isnt the centre ground on Brexit, but that is because there no longer is a centre ground on Brexit if there ever was.

There was a centre ground.

I started out post-ref wanting an exit that respected the result but also acknowledged the 48% who wanted to remain. A soft Brexit.

By the end I was so sick of remainer games that I wanted to rub their noses in the hardest Brexit possible.
    Fine, its a free country. I wanted a soft Brexit throughout the last parliament despite the games the leavers were playing. Its just a bit rich to see remainers being accused of being extreme when your view of wanting to rub our noses in it is clearly quite common amongst leavers.

We have been poorly led on both sides, but writing off half the country as extremists or pretending our views dont exist is simply at odds with reality. We will Brexit shortly and so be it, lets hope it is a success. Those that campaigned and organised for it should spend their time ensuring it is that success not complaining about remainers.
This discussion has been closed.