Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson resurfaces after 4 years and says Lisa Nandy is

124»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Doethur, now that you write that, does this not exactly parallel the Syrian withdrawal?

It's a decision made for tactical reasons but that comes with significant strategic consequences.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,237
    isam said:

Is there a PBer who didn't briefly think to apply?
    Me. I don’t work with vain self important mediocrities like Cummings.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'd have thought there's still quite a lot of play in this contest. The candidates aren't that well-known and the Labour party membership have yet to decide what they want to make their next step. Lisa Nandy would be a good choice (for my bank account as well as for the Labour party), but I'm not expecting Labour to make it.

Agreed. I reckon a fair few on the left think Starmer is one of their own - he was in the shadow cabinet after all.
    That's why Starmer is the favourite - both the Left and the non-left think he's one of them, and in a way I think they're both right.
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, now that you write that, does this not exactly parallel the Syrian withdrawal?

It's a decision made for tactical reasons but that comes with significant strategic consequences.

Chris Silverwood’s appointment parallels the Syrian withdrawal?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

speedy2 said:

Iraq is about to eject all Americans out of it's country it seems:
    https://twitter.com/NewsBreaking/status/1213007231932780545
    They have no choice, they don't want their country to become a battlefield during the Iran War.

It already is that battlefield.

Is it helicopters from the Embassy roof time yet for the Americans in Iraq?

‘I came, I Sai, I gone?’
    These puns are beginning to Hanoi me.
    To be honest, Halong for them to stop as well.
    I’m surprised you’ve not made any gags this morning about De Kock and Philander.
    The cricket’s too fucking depressing right now.

At least Joe Root didn’t try to bowl again, but with him having taken Burns out before the match and Crawley out for 4 that’s not important right now.

Has Root been seen with a new leather jacket recently?
    As I said after the World Cup final, we’ve used up all our good luck for the next decade.
    It’s nothing to do with luck. It’s daft management. What is Zak Crawley with 700 runs at 30 - around a quarter of them against Nottinghamshire -doing as backup opener instead of Chris Dent (1100 at 47, admittedly with quite a few against Leicestershire)? Why is Crawley not on the Lions tour working on his technique so he’s ready for number three in a couple of years? Why is football being allowed when it causes injuries? Why was Archer training when he was not fully fit? Why was he forced to bowl long spells? Why is Root still captain when he last won a series 18 months ago? Why is Bairstow the backup keeper instead of Foakes?

These are easy decisions to make. And yet they are not being made. Silverwood was the wrong choice as coach because he’s an insider and however fine a coach he is (and his Essex record shows how good he is) he’s not making the tough calls.
    You should read Mike Atherton in today’s Times. It’s a considered and well argued rebuttal to your frankly-spittle flecked and deranged-sounding rankings about the evils of soccer as a warm up. As a teacher you consider yourself an expert on everything but he schools you.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    HYUFD said:
    Great to see the USA giving full throated support to the Sunni side in the Middle East war.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    matt said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

speedy2 said:

Iraq is about to eject all Americans out of it's country it seems:
    https://twitter.com/NewsBreaking/status/1213007231932780545
    They have no choice, they don't want their country to become a battlefield during the Iran War.

It already is that battlefield.

Is it helicopters from the Embassy roof time yet for the Americans in Iraq?

‘I came, I Sai, I gone?’
    These puns are beginning to Hanoi me.
    To be honest, Halong for them to stop as well.
    I’m surprised you’ve not made any gags this morning about De Kock and Philander.
    The cricket’s too fucking depressing right now.

At least Joe Root didn’t try to bowl again, but with him having taken Burns out before the match and Crawley out for 4 that’s not important right now.

Has Root been seen with a new leather jacket recently?
    As I said after the World Cup final, we’ve used up all our good luck for the next decade.
    It’s nothing to do with luck. It’s daft management. What is Zak Crawley with 700 runs at 30 - around a quarter of them against Nottinghamshire -doing as backup opener instead of Chris Dent (1100 at 47, admittedly with quite a few against Leicestershire)? Why is Crawley not on the Lions tour working on his technique so he’s ready for number three in a couple of years? Why is football being allowed when it causes injuries? Why was Archer training when he was not fully fit? Why was he forced to bowl long spells? Why is Root still captain when he last won a series 18 months ago? Why is Bairstow the backup keeper instead of Foakes?

These are easy decisions to make. And yet they are not being made. Silverwood was the wrong choice as coach because he’s an insider and however fine a coach he is (and his Essex record shows how good he is) he’s not making the tough calls.
    You should read Mike Atherton in today’s Times. It’s a considered and well argued rebuttal to your frankly-spittle flecked and deranged-sounding rankings about the evils of soccer as a warm up. As a teacher you consider yourself an expert on everything but he schools you.
    What is a ‘deranged sounding ranking?’ Sounds like something to do with the Premier League, but I’m guessing it’s autocorrect doing what autocorrect does best.

(BTW, it’s not me that criticised football warmups - it was Silverwood.)
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Welcome back HenryG -- I had occasionally wondered what had been happening to you!

Lisa Nandy (from the little I know of her) seems to be a very good choice.

And, off topic, I see Layla has placed herself in the news

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50978997

Rosy Cobb is of course the LibDem Head of Press who faked the emails & is (I believe) currently suspended pending investigation.

This time, I wonder if the LibDems will be stupid enough to .... Of course, they will be stupid enough to ....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

Does anyone want to tell him or shall we leave him foaming?

https://twitter.com/_mattmccallum/status/1213021315713699841?s=21

I reminded him you are now a LD
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    MrEd said:

On topic, I have a small bet on Nandy as I think there is an outside chance she comes through. However, I don't think her personality that appealing - someone on here summed it up well, saying she came across as a bit of a wet lettuce.

I wonder if the value bet at the moment might be Rayner (disclosure: I have bought some on Betfair at 60-70). The left's overwhelming aim is to keep control of the Labour party, not specifically to back a candidate. There seems to be a growing feeling RLB is not up to the task and that Starmer might come through. If that was the case, the left may decide it would be best to ditch RLB and go with Rayner who would probably stand a better chance in a contest.

I can see your reasoning on Rayner. Maybe that Yougov poll will force the lefts hand
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    A major geopolitical event. PB gives it due attention before discussing the serious state of English cricket.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

A major geopolitical event. PB gives it due attention before discussing the serious state of English cricket.

There is indeed a major geopolitical event.

And in addition to the Cape Town Test, the Americans have blown up an Iranian as part of the quest to make the whole planet hate them.
  • Options

Welcome back HenryG -- I had occasionally wondered what had been happening to you!

Rosy Cobb is of course the LibDem Head of Press who faked the emails & is (I believe) currently suspended pending investigation.

This time, I wonder if the LibDems will be stupid enough to .... Of course, they will be stupid enough to ....

If the Lib Dems choose Layla as leader, I reckon they will fade even further into obscurity.
  • Options
    isam said:

If the Lib Dems choose Layla as leader, I reckon they will fade even further into obscurity.
    Better than Sir Ed Davey, knighted for services to the Coalition.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,214
    isam said:

More than briefly in my case. I am ready to serve. People scoff at some of my ideas - for example free (and compulsory) piano tuition for the unemployed - but I sense that Cummings would not. What to wear for the interview, though, is a tricky one. Suit and tie is out (obvs) but just how "free" should I go? Would string vest and hessian shorts seal the deal?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,448
    1) On thread: I've been a Lisa-backer for some while. Not a sophisticated analysis of the selectorate (aside from the wanting a woman and Len wanting a northerner) - more that I'm increasingly convinced that she isn't just the least-worst option, she's actually pretty good. Could she be this decades Kinnock in clearing out the more egregious elements of the far left? Dunno. But she can at least articulate a reasonably sensible argument reasonably well, which is no small beer these days. Also - and it shouldn't matter, but it does - she's quite telegenic. Contrast the pleasant, smiley picture above with the pictures we normally see of RLB with mouth contorted into tiny belipsticked grimace of fury or of Jess Philips looking smug or Emily Thornberry looking smug and entitled. How appearances translate into votes is a tricky subject to fully understand, especially with female candidates, but it matters. It's not about being attractive or otherwise, it's about having a manner which doesn't automatically put people's backs up. While I'm about it, I'd say Kier is also reasonably telegenic. Fairly dour and unsmiling, but transmitting a weary air of competence.

2) Stop panicking about cricket! Losing an early wicket isn't a disaster. You can't start panicking until we're four wickets down for less than 90. I agree with Eagles about NZ having the biggest slice of luck in the final in batting first. Though England's luck was rather more spectacular to the eye.

3) @AlastairMeeks - following the coffee conversation a week or two back, I found myself at the platform 13/14 concourse at Piccadilly station the other night, where there was a Costa Coffee and it did indeed serve a perfectly acceptable cup of filter coffee for a pound. You were quite right - thank you. My life is slightly improved.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

More than briefly in my case. I am ready to serve. People scoff at some of my ideas - for example free (and compulsory) piano tuition for the unemployed - but I sense that Cummings would not. What to wear for the interview, though, is a tricky one. Suit and tie is out (obvs) but just how "free" should I go? Would string vest and hessian shorts seal the deal?
    Doesn’t matter, you’ll fail by turning up to the interview at all. Conventional limited thinking.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

The Scottish Parliament needs full fiscal autonomy.

Jarvid must cut National Insurance-Holyrood can’t overturn that Tory tax cut ...
    I don't know why more Tories aren't more worried about Scotland going independent? If that happens under a Tory government you will lose English support. Don't for a second think it will bring political advantage to the the Conservative and Unioist party.
    Brexit kills Sindy.

Scots with mortgages and pensions in British pounds won’t touch the Euro with a barge pole.

If the SNP had been smart they’d have grabbed May’s deal.

Now SINDY + EU = hardest of hard borders with rUK ( which accounts for 4 times as much of Scotland’s trade than the EU.) That will become progressively clearer as the “Irish sea it isn’t a border really” gets implemented.
    Our tame Tory emigrants talking absolute bollox as usual. Don't even live in teh country but profess to be experts instead of the pair of dummies they really are.
    F off and worry about where you actually live and stop spouting shite about Scotland, losers.
  • Options

speedy2 said:

If it becomes a shooting war sell Starmer, Biden and Trump, buy Lavery and Sanders.
    The Anti-War guys are going to be politically energised.

Also beware a usual failure of Pentagon plans, here is a war game from 2004:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/12/will-iran-be-next/303599/

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/coma/images/issues/200412/2004-12-fallows-iran.pdf

Their plan in 2004 was to have 3 divisions and a brigade to drive 1000 miles over many tall mountain ranges, siege Tehran and get out all in 5 days, brought to you by the same people who planned the Iraq War.

Of course the Civilian leaders involved were appalled by the such terrible planning:

"Companies deciding which kind of toothpaste to market have much more rigorous, established decision-making processes to refer to than the most senior officials of the U.S. government deciding whether or not to go to war"

Starmer's been an opponent of the Iraq war since 2003. You're right that more Americans getting killed in Iraq it might make voters more receptive to a Sanders kind of agenda, though.
    Isn't America Great Again though, when it's troops go swaggering through the world killing brown people?
    So you think Trump is deliberately killing/targeting "brown people". What a load of shite.
    Well, how would you describe his policy?
    He is marking their card, they should think twice about messing about with US embassies etc. You can only poke a bear so many times.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

If it becomes a shooting war sell Starmer, Biden and Trump, buy Lavery and Sanders.

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/coma/images/issues/200412/2004-12-fallows-iran.pdf

Their plan in 2004 was to have 3 divisions and a brigade to drive 1000 miles over many tall mountain ranges, siege Tehran and get out all in 5 days, brought to you by the same people who planned the Iraq War.

Of course the Civilian leaders involved were appalled by the such terrible planning:

"Companies deciding which kind of toothpaste to market have much more rigorous, established decision-making processes to refer to than the most senior officials of the U.S. government deciding whether or not to go to war"

Starmer's been an opponent of the Iraq war since 2003. You're right that more Americans getting killed in Iraq it might make voters more receptive to a Sanders kind of agenda, though.
    Isn't America Great Again though, when it's troops go swaggering through the world killing brown people?
    So you think Trump is deliberately killing/targeting "brown people". What a load of shite.
    He is marking their card, they should think twice about messing about with US embassies etc. You can only poke a bear so many times.
    We haven’t fully explored the SINDY dimension of the US Iranian policy. What will be the impact in a second referendum.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

What authority does Cummings have to run recruitment for the Civil Service?

If I was the HR director I would be on the war path tonight.

I wonder if in Cummings we are seeing an ego running out of control. The signs are certainly there. Guy obviously thinks he's the bees knees. One must hope that "Boris" does not let him run riot.
    Is Johnson still in his love nest? Sounds like he is needed back home.

I wonder who Cummings is backing in World War 3.

He won’t Russia to judgement.

Edit - serious question - when Johnson is abroad, who is in charge? Is it Raab or Gove?
    you never heard of mobile phones and computers
  • Options
    isam said:

Me
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    ydoethur said:
    I would have expected China to be a lot more assertive in its rhetoric. Perhaps it reckons it's got enough on its hands with the trade war. In fact Iran could be a valuable card to play in that dispute.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,214
    TGOHF666 said:

You appear obsessed with DC.

During the Brexit wars we continually heard how the Uk was a tiny irrelevant nation these days and the EU was a big dawg.

I’d imagine we can therefore sit this one out as Macron , Merkel and the Iranians sit down and make peace.

Obsessed with DC? That is OTT but perhaps I'm thinking about him more than I ought to.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

Jarvid must cut National Insurance-Holyrood can’t overturn that Tory tax cut ...
    I don't know why more Tories aren't more worried about Scotland going independent? If that happens under a Tory government you will lose English support. Don't for a second think it will bring political advantage to the the Conservative and Unioist party.
    Brexit kills Sindy.

Scots with mortgages and pensions in British pounds won’t touch the Euro with a barge pole.

Now SINDY + EU = hardest of hard borders with rUK ( which accounts for 4 times as much of Scotland’s trade than the EU.) That will become progressively clearer as the “Irish sea it isn’t a border really” gets implemented.
    Our tame Tory emigrants talking absolute bollox as usual. Don't even live in teh country but profess to be experts instead of the pair of dummies they really are.
    F off and worry about where you actually live and stop spouting shite about Scotland, losers.
    Thank you for another exposition of “joyous civic nationalism” a la SNP.

So how would Scotland deal with a hard border with its biggest trading partner?

Answer came there none.....
  • Options
    Gone quite quickly from a deal with Iran to today. Not arguing on rights or wrongs, just how things have changed.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    isam said:

If you assume that all political lives end in failure the end failure of Boris and Cummings is going to be one which lights up the sky. If they manage the break the rule we shall be in for an even more firework strewn ride.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

We haven’t fully explored the SINDY dimension of the US Iranian policy. What will be the impact in a second referendum.
    We have enough supposed Scottish whinging emigrants to worry about , they are much more insidious and nasty than any Iranians.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

Brexit kills Sindy.

You moronic halfwitted troll, how do all the other countries in the world handle borders. Get a life. Are you trying to infer that the English are so petty and nasty that they would put up the barbed wire and not allow normal trade, you are pathetic.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

We have enough supposed Scottish whinging emigrants to worry about , they are much more insidious and nasty than any Iranians.
    When it comes to whingeing I happily defer to the much more practiced Nats.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    malcolmg said:

Jonathan said:

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

WW3 hardly helps accelerate Scexit malc - give peace a chance.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

ydoethur said:
    I would have expected China to be a lot more assertive in its rhetoric. Perhaps it reckons it's got enough on its hands with the trade war. In fact Iran could be a valuable card to play in that dispute.
    Going something like this, "Maybe, US, you want to choose your enemies. Do you want just Iran? Or Iran plus China and we can probably bring Russia in? Now about those tariffs...."
  • Options
    Mr. 43, there's also Hong Kong to consider in that equation. And the South China Sea land [ahem] grab.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

I agree with MalcG on this. This was a guy which was actively acting against US interests in an escalated way and putting many US personnel at risk.

If you play with fire, you're going to get burned.

Sometimes you have to send a message. But i have no idea if it's a good thing or bad thing, and often there's only bad things.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

I agree with MalcG on this. This was a guy which was actively acting against US interests in an escalated way and putting many US personnel at risk.

Sometimes you have to send a message. But i have no idea if it's a good thing or bad thing, and often there's only bad things.
    Not like the guy was democratically elected.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1213037004922990593

One thing about Jess is she's outspoken, and likely to be more animated than Sir Dull, she might alight the fire much more and get more support accordingly.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited January 2020
    Cookie said:

@AlastairMeeks - following the coffee conversation a week or two back, I found myself at the platform 13/14 concourse at Piccadilly station the other night, where there was a Costa Coffee and it did indeed serve a perfectly acceptable cup of filter coffee for a pound. You were quite right - thank you. My life is slightly improved.

Always glad to help with the important things in life!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

malcolmg said:

speedy2 said:

Not like the guy was democratically elected.
    He was almost a sort of unofficial US ally during the fight with ISIS, but since the end of that war the US and Iran have been gradually ratcheting up the pressure on each other in Iraq, sped along by Trump's obsession with ripping up Obama's nuclear deal, appeasing Netanyahu and the Saudis, and various manoeuvrings for position inside the Iranian regime.
  • Options

Mr. 43, there's also Hong Kong to consider in that equation. And the South China Sea land [ahem] grab.

Definitely. Iran has a nasty, nasty regime but realpolitik suggests the US should aim for a workable relationship with it. As the top dog, but one that is being challenged by China, the US should normally be looking to maintain the status quo. A business-like relationship with Iran is the key to relative stability in the Middle East, given its central position, regional power and the fact it isn't China or Russia who both have geopolitical strategic agendas that aren't necessarily to the US' advantage.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

One thing about Jess is she's outspoken, and likely to be more animated than Sir Dull, she might alight the fire much more and get more support accordingly.

My immediate reaction is that this is good news for Starmer because it positions him on the middle ground.

The momentum guys really dislike her and will focus their attention on her and not on Starmer.

She will liven things up certainly, but unlikely to unite the party.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

Brexit kills Sindy.

You moronic halfwitted troll, how do all the other countries in the world handle borders. Get a life. Are you trying to infer that the English are so petty and nasty that they would put up the barbed wire and not allow normal trade, you are pathetic.
    Joyous civic nationalism!

If SINDY wants to rejoin the EU - why would the EU agree to no border with a third country?

Answer came there none....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Gone quite quickly from a deal with Iran to today. Not arguing on rights or wrongs, just how things have changed.

Whatever the consequences of this US assassination are, one thing does seem certain, the nuclear deal is now completely finished. There is no prospect of a deal with Iran to stop their nuclear development, as such a deal requires US buy-in and Iranian trust, and that isn't going to happen now. So really either Iran gives up developing nuclear weapons, or sooner or later there will be military action to destroy their programme.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

Brexit kills Sindy.

You moronic halfwitted troll, you are pathetic.
    Put the mirror down malcolm....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Momentum posts today are a sight to behold......
  • Options
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

My immediate reaction is that this is good news for Starmer because it positions him on the middle ground.

The momentum guys really dislike her and will focus their attention on her and not on Starmer.

Thats true, she is a lightening rod for the 'left'. But it would provide contrast with Starmer as well, and who's more inspiring.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    HYUFD said:

Does anyone want to tell him or shall we leave him foaming?

https://twitter.com/_mattmccallum/status/1213021315713699841?s=21

I reminded him you are now a LD
    Naughty
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    It doesn't exactly say anything the US would disagree with.

1) Qasem Soleimani was bad so this was deserved.
    2) Iran shouldn't retaliate
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Thats true, she is a lightening rod for the 'left'. But it would provide contrast with Starmer as well, and who's more inspiring.
    She will draw all venom and attacks away from Starmer - which won't do him any harm.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2020
    eek said:

It doesn't exactly say anything the US would disagree with.

1) Qasem Soleimani was bad so this was deserved.
    2) Iran shouldn't retaliate
    I don't think Trump will welcome the tone. The mention of "all sides", of de-escalation, and the hint of superior circumspection isn't what he wants from Britain, if it's going to be his enthusiastic junior partner.

It sounds like the statement of a confidently networked power, spanning US and European orbits, or even Britain in the 60s with some residual colonial weight. That's not the position Britain is in any longer.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Floater said:

Let me guess. They are saying Trump did this on behalf of Mossad?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,007
    It just struck me that it's one thing to level up the North, quite another to bring it to the parts of the North that just voted Conservative. If the weirdos figure that out, worth every penny!
  • Options
    EPG said:

It just struck me that it's one thing to level up the North, quite another to bring it to the parts of the North that just voted Conservative. If the weirdos figure that out, worth every penny!

I'm looking forward to Tyne and Wear missing out while Teesside gets the benefits. It will make a change.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    glw said:

Whatever the consequences of this US assassination are, one thing does seem certain, the nuclear deal is now completely finished. There is no prospect of a deal with Iran to stop their nuclear development, as such a deal requires US buy-in and Iranian trust, and that isn't going to happen now. So really either Iran gives up developing nuclear weapons, or sooner or later there will be military action to destroy their programme.
    Or they buy a few from NK....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Floater said:

As opposed to any other day?
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    It is unlikely that Iran will respond with a full on move, in fact they are, I would reckon, in a serious state of shock right now as they genuinely didn't think the US would just go and drone one of its key people. Remember that all such regimes favour self preservation first. For the US watching a load of militia just march up to its Embassy in what is a largely secured zone was equally a shock so this may well have further pushed the opportunity to be taken to make a clear statement.

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard overseas network through the Quds Force across the globe is large enough globally to be a right pain in the arse, through proxies and its own people, Focus may perhaps be in the Middle East and also in Europe so as well as perhaps some predictably overt noise and death there is every chance they will settle in for something long and ongoing. Bombings, check, kidnap, check., civilian targets, check. Shipping harassment, check. Attacks of all those on Countries other than the US, check. If I wanted to look outside the Middle East there is plenty of IGRC activity in certain countries in Europe in particular the often benign ground of Germany and in the Balkan region but they have a decent network stretching from Sweden downwards though they can operate through proxies in many areas of South Asia as well.

Posters downthread are perfectly fair to see this all from different angles in relation to reaction within Iraq because we really do not know. The US is seen in a very mixed way but those who say it has very little resource left in country need to be aware that they still have the biggest swinging balls in there once you look at what they have in deployable firepower plus what is tumbling into the region at the moment to either stand ground or get out under fire (current known movements of resources looks as if it could be prepped for the latter as much as the former).

As regards the killing itself, the current story that Soleimani was flying in from the West rather than from the East so there would have been more chance of decent intelligence picking that up. This was not simply a whim, the US would have considered targeting him for some time just few thought they'd actually go and do it.

As regards the UK, there is a few hundred personnel in various guises in Iraq directly, many bundled alongside US forces so great care needs taken. The bigger concern is commercial interests. For the UK risk - capability- benefit profile is not pretty.

• Options
    FF43 said:

Definitely. Iran has a nasty, nasty regime but realpolitik suggests the US should aim for a workable relationship with it. As the top dog, but one that is being challenged by China, the US should normally be looking to maintain the status quo. A business-like relationship with Iran is the key to relative stability in the Middle East, given its central position, regional power and the fact it isn't China or Russia who both have geopolitical strategic agendas that aren't necessarily to the US' advantage.
    They had a far, far better chance to do exactly that in 2002, and squandered it (W's moronic 'axis of evil' speech...). The chances of that happening now under the strategic genius must be very close to zero.

China does have serious strategic interest in Iran - it buys a lot of their oil - and Russia is a neighbour. The US risks being an irrelevance, or engaging in all out war...
  • Options
    EPG said:

That’s exactly the plan. They’ve got four and a half years to convince those who just voted Conservative for the first time, to make a habit of doing so.

Expect serious transport infrastructure spending, and economic free zones exempt from a lot of taxes to encourage companies to relocate.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

It is unlikely that Iran will respond with a full on move, in fact they are, I would reckon, in a serious state of shock right now as they genuinely didn't think the US would just go and drone one of its key people. Remember that all such regimes favour self preservation first. For the US watching a load of militia just march up to its Embassy in what is a largely secured zone was equally a shock so this may well have further pushed the opportunity to be taken to make a clear statement.

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard overseas network through the Quds Force across the globe is large enough globally to be a right pain in the arse, through proxies and its own people, Focus may perhaps be in the Middle East and also in Europe so as well as perhaps some predictably overt noise and death there is every chance they will settle in for something long and ongoing. Bombings, check, kidnap, check., civilian targets, check. Shipping harassment, check. Attacks of all those on Countries other than the US, check. If I wanted to look outside the Middle East there is plenty of IGRC activity in certain countries in Europe in particular the often benign ground of Germany and in the Balkan region but they have a decent network stretching from Sweden downwards though they can operate through proxies in many areas of South Asia as well.

Posters downthread are perfectly fair to see this all from different angles in relation to reaction within Iraq because we really do not know. The US is seen in a very mixed way but those who say it has very little resource left in country need to be aware that they still have the biggest swinging balls in there once you look at what they have in deployable firepower plus what is tumbling into the region at the moment to either stand ground or get out under fire (current known movements of resources looks as if it could be prepped for the latter as much as the former).

As regards the killing itself, the current story that Soleimani was flying in from the West rather than from the East so there would have been more chance of decent intelligence picking that up. This was not simply a whim, the US would have considered targeting him for some time just few thought they'd actually go and do it.

As regards the UK, there is a few hundred personnel in various guises in Iraq directly, many bundled alongside US forces so great care needs taken. The bigger concern is commercial interests. For the UK risk - capability- benefit profile is not pretty.

What do you think of the possibility of their acquiring nukes from fat Kim ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Arsenal would have won loads more titles had Adolf not marched into Poland.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    Good, and good. This is looking like a bit of a mess at the moment.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    edited January 2020
    Jonathan said:

Is there a timetable yet?

I havent made my mind up yet other than DEFINITELY NOT PHILLIPS

Sir Keir Too London Remainy unlikely but not ruled out.

Ian Lavery very unlikely and all but ruled out

Nandy is attractive to me due to her BREXIT views

Need to see her Campaign on other issues now.

RLB needs to prove she is better than what i have seen so far to get my vote.

ET too London Remainy all but ruled out

Clive Lewis right side of party right ethnicity wrong sex could still get my vote

So at this point Nandy most likely for me
  • Options
    Apparently Sky News broke an embargo relating to Jess Phillips. No one on here has ever done something like that, have they?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Clive Lewis right side of party right ethnicity wrong sex could still get my vote

Good to hear from perspective of members.

I still don’t have a Scooby, am betting with single pounds on this market, mostly laying favourites and backing whoever is tipped on here.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Nigelb said:

Yokes said:

What do you think of the possibility of their acquiring nukes from fat Kim ?
    Directly buying off the shelf? Pretty Low. Iranian & NK understandings and sharing regarding nuclear technology is known but that's very different from popping into Del Boy Kim's emporium to get some actual kit.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

I still don’t have a Scooby, am betting with single pounds on this market, mostly laying favourites and backing whoever is tipped on here.
    I have had an absolute nightmare with it, but hey ho. I think Jess Phillips would be their best leader. She is probably the best/most relatable media performer, has a sense of humour and rolls her sleeves up for what she believes in

..and is female, I think they should choose a woman unless the male option is significantly better, which I don't think Starmer is.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Balls, laid her off a bit to repair my Starmer hole, knew I should have waited.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Balls, laid her off a bit to repair my Starmer hole, knew I should have waited.
    She's not going to win though.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Dupe
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Duplicate
  • Options
    isam said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

I have had an absolute nightmare with it, but hey ho. I think Jess Phillips would be their best leader. She is probably the best/most relatable media performer, has a sense of humour and rolls her sleeves up for what she believes in

..and is female, I think they should choose a woman unless the male option is significantly better, which I don't think Starmer is.
    You’re not the one still backing David Miliband, are you?
  • Options
    isam said:

Sandpit said:

Jonathan said:

She can't unite the party, but she can demonstrate how strong the Right still is. Long Bailey will do the same for the Left.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

FF43 said:

They had a far, far better chance to do exactly that in 2002, and squandered it (W's moronic 'axis of evil' speech...). The chances of that happening now under the strategic genius must be very close to zero.
    Thing to remeber that David Frum was the person who wrote the Axis of Evil speech (well the section that mentioned the Axis of Evil). So when you see him posting his anti-Trump stuff and pining for a return to a nuanced sensible Republican party he means the absolute cesspit that was the Bush W administration.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1213051224674709504

Corbyn as predictable as ever in deciding that the US is the larger bad guy in any conflict.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dupe

No, but her price will come in once she is a confirmed runner. I'd made a speculative punt on her on that basis but laid her for no profit to try an repair my overall position.
  • Options
    I believe Keir Starmer used to play the violin with Fat Boy Slim. I don't imagine this will affect his chances either way.
  • Options

Corbyn as predictable as ever in deciding that the US is the larger bad guy in any conflict.

It's quite impressive that he can get 6500 likes for a tweet in less than 10 minutes
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Apparently Sky News broke an embargo relating to Jess Phillips. No one on here has ever done something like that, have they?

The Screaming Eagle is an Anagram of What Embargo!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    Boris could actually be quite pleased to be on holiday for this one.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,772
    isam said:

Briefly?! My CV and covering letter is going off this weekend! Tonight if I can manage it! The only reason why it didn't go off last night was because I was working late.
  • Options

It pretty much echos what Raab has said.

"Following his death, we urge all parties to de-escalate. Further conflict is in none of our interests.”

If anyone would like to argue that there aren't 'belligerent actions and rhetoric coming from the US' from the chickenhawk extraordinaire downwards, feel free to develop this theme.
  • Options
    This thread has been droned.
  • Options
    Corbyn / Being too Remainy were the 2 biggest factors in LAB Defeat

4 of the proposed Leaders were responsible for the latter

2 are too close to the bits that voters didnt like about Corbyn

IMO
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

It's quite impressive that he can get 6500 likes for a tweet in less than 10 minutes
    All those years cosying up to Russia paying off.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783

malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

Brexit kills Sindy.

A hard border will only be of significance for exports of physical goods. IIRC the proportions of Scottish total goods exports are 38% To rest of UK, 31.5% to the EU and 30.5% to the rest of the World.

see also https://blogs.gov.scot/scotlands-economy/2018/12/06/eu-taking-more-than-half-of-scotlands-exports/

Unless you really mean trade in financial services with the EU is going to be seriously disrupted by Brexit?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

nunu2 said:

Brexit kills Sindy.

Joyous civic nationalism!

If SINDY wants to rejoin the EU - why would the EU agree to no border with a third country?

Answer came there none....
    more absolute crap, again for the blind and hard of hearing , what do all the other countries in the world do with their borders, what is so special about Scotland that it is the only country in the world that could not handle a border, what kind of idiot are you.
This discussion has been closed.