Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A primer on the Iowa caucuses – three weeks today

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

One of my mates just brought up the new Nationwide advert that's been doing the rounds. I think they have inadvertently captured everything that is wrong about the most selfish generation in existence. The old man character is absolutely the worst kind of hypocrite and I think Nationwide have not understood how poorly their advert is playing among younger people.

Except in reality most of the older generation are not that selfish, I and most of my friends and partner all got help to get on the property ladder from our parents.
    I think this is the usual point in the conversation where I point out that many people have poor parents who have no money to provide help, and that such people might not hold the [rude word] people in that [rude word] advert with such insouciance.

Yes but they will always be renting anyway regardless
    No, they wont. Some people pay their own deposit (buffs nails modestly)
    If you are poor near zero chance of being able to afford to pay for your own deposit, certainly in London and the Home Counties
    Just as a matter of interest, aren't you concerned that this leads to ever greater stratification, with a well off class of home owners, whose children go on to own houses, and who go to university, etc., and an underclass who's chance of escape is practically nil?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965
    Absolutely bizarre campaign from Nationwide. It looks and feels like an outrageous spoof.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

Quincel said:

Yeah, can we not talk about the Democratic Party's primaries?

I'm headed for the poor house.

I'm fine so long as Bloomberg doesn't win, which while unlikely isn't nearly as unlikely as when I laid him at 67. In fairness, this was after he said he wouldn't run and before he said he would. But it's left me so exposed to him I'm not willing to top up on the insane 8/1 he is right now. Ridiculously short, I'd make him 20-30s or so, personally. Here's my book, note I have a separate bet on Biden which wins £360 (£40 at 9/1, placed shortly before Biden announced he was running).

I have a similar book except you’re 8 or 9 times more aggressive than me.

Oh, and I thought it’d be good to lay Sanders a bit at 3s too.
    I have laid Bernie at 3.3

I wobbled seriously earlier, but I am feeling a bit more steady on this.

Dem primary voters want to win. Bernie can't win.
  • Options
    Biden wins Iowa and NH?

It's over before it has begun.

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    It would not be unheard of for New Hampshire to go very hard behind someone who can beat the person who won Iowa.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    sarissa said:

kicorse said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

I’ve heard some laughable ideas in my time, but I’m not sure anything beats a suggestion that the Conservatives might call a General Election in a year! Might call into question the idea that pb.com is a place for serious political debate! ;)

Hold on a second. I thought this was a place for serious discussions about the merits (or not) of pineapple on pizza? We're supposed to be debating politics? :o
    Don't be silly.

There are no merits to putting pineapple on pizza.
    The people have spoken:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/inlineimage/2017-03-06/Pineapple on pizza-01.png

Now stop trying to frustrate the putting of pineapple on pizza and get it done.
    But Scotland voted for haggis!
    Quite right, haggis is a delicious pizza topping.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    ydoethur said:

Yeah, can we not talk about the Democratic Party's primaries?

I'm headed for the poor house.

You and @rottenborough can console each other that you felt the Bern...
    Hopefully not an innuendo.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The best Pizza topping is Bolognaise as done by Little Italy on Byres Road in Glasgow.
  • Options
    Buttigieg at 14 looks tempting. If his field office network delivers in Iowa then that should fall.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    Several candidates in the leadership contest observed the absence of any seat that Labour had just lost from the 8 planned hustings.

https://labourlist.org/2020/01/labour-candidates-raise-concerns-over-official-leadership-hustings/

After these concerns were raised:

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1216772406276247553
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kicorse said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

One of my mates just brought up the new Nationwide advert that's been doing the rounds. I think they have inadvertently captured everything that is wrong about the most selfish generation in existence. The old man character is absolutely the worst kind of hypocrite and I think Nationwide have not understood how poorly their advert is playing among younger people.

Except in reality most of the older generation are not that selfish, I and most of my friends and partner all got help to get on the property ladder from our parents.

The fact Nationwide are pushing equity release for expensive holidays too not just helping your children buy a property is just a marketing ploy to push their profits, nothing more
    I've explained to my kids that I want the last cheque I write to bounce. Frankly, I've fed and clothed and kept them warm for the last twelve years, and I think it's time they started doing something for me. Enough of all the giving.
    Well you are a liberal, that is up to you, I am a conservative and a strong believer in the family and inherited wealth. For me family obligations continue from birth to death for all generations to help each other
    Erm, I'm pretty sure that was irony. Don't think too many liberals would say that to a 12-year-old!
    Free market liberals like RCS would (if not maybe the soggy social democrat sandal wearers but they would be keener on paying for a big state to provide for them instead)
    With no intervention and a proper free market, society bifurcates in a generation or two and then you get revolution. If you try to impose a proper level playing field with communism, society ossifies within a generation or two.

You want as many people playing Monopoly as possible. But to get them to play, they need at least a small chance of being able to win...
  • Options

• Options

How does this make sense?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Paul Mason. Repeatedly wrong yet keeps on with incredible certainty. How does one maintain that level of narcissism?
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    Alistair said:

The best Pizza topping is Bolognaise as done by Little Italy on Byres Road in Glasgow.

Best in Hillhead in Little Scotland?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    matt said:

Paul Mason. Repeatedly wrong yet keeps on with incredible certainty. How does one maintain that level of narcissism?
    Its called being a pundit. Or an internet commentator.
  • Options
    I think there's little doubt if he had stood again hed have won.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,734
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

I think this is the usual point in the conversation where I point out that many people have poor parents who have no money to provide help, and that such people might not hold the [rude word] people in that [rude word] advert with such insouciance.

If you are poor near zero chance of being able to afford to pay for your own deposit, certainly in London and the Home Counties
    Just as a matter of interest, aren't you concerned that this leads to ever greater stratification, with a well off class of home owners, whose children go on to own houses, and who go to university, etc., and an underclass who's chance of escape is practically nil?
    The principle that (for some people at least) it is not enough to succeed, the others must also suffer is so well established by now it's probably a trope. It's even a plot point in "1984"... :(
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Buttigieg at 14 looks tempting. If his field office network delivers in Iowa then that should fall.

Yes, I too am being tempted by that 14. Trouble is back Mayor Pete would put me in the Red on Sanders.

I'm currently green/zero on everyone but Bloomberg and Steyr
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,366
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The Green Belt Must Be Destroyed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

And so, Ladies and Gentlemen, that was the how the Death Wish of Labour was avoided.

Or was it? ....
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yes, I too am being tempted by that 14. Trouble is back Mayor Pete would put me in the Red on Sanders.

I'm currently green/zero on everyone but Bloomberg and Steyr
    If only I could say the same on Sanders.

Starting to find his teflon nature a little annoying.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Absolutely bizarre campaign from Nationwide. It looks and feels like an outrageous spoof.

Ok, run VT. Scene 1, take 45 and action! Voiceover, cue...

"...Dear Selfish Boomer Bastard. About to retire? Have vulnerable children? Then f*** them right up the a*** by spending their inheritance now. While they toil to pay your pension, why not buy stacks of stupid wine and really expensive holidays? Then when you've got nothing left, they'll still have to pay the care home to look after you! The Nationwide Selfish Boomer Bastard account. Because you weren't using that conscience, were you?..."

...aaaand cut!
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    kle4 said:

I doubt he would have done. I think he got the benefit of the doubt after 2017, but wanting him to stay on doesn't appear to be a very common position now.

Last summer a members poll already had 40% saying he should stand down before an election - It's very unlikely that wouldn't be higher now, given what happened on 12th December.
  • Options
    I'm on a train. It's quiet. There are no drunks nor thugs in the carriage. The train is on time. This is so unusual I am frightened to move in case I disrupt the space-time continuum. Spooky....
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    kle4 said:

So none of you have been to Sweden then.

hts://twitter.com/sweden/status/896054161879351296

And now I never shall. I'm surprised poor cyclefree has not fallen into shocked catatonia.
    Catatonia's in Spain, not Sweden.

I have just watched the Nationwide ad. I can only assume it's entirely deliberate.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    kle4 said:

And now I never shall. I'm surprised poor cyclefree has not fallen into shocked catatonia.
    I have. My convalescence has been severely set back by viewing such horrors. I will have to console myself tomorrow with a treat from one of the Lake District’s best bakeries.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

kle4 said:

Catatonia's in Spain, not Sweden.
    No, that's Catalonia. Catatonia is that band with Cerys Matthews... :)

• Options
    viewcode said:

I'm on a train. It's quiet. There are no drunks nor thugs in the carriage. The train is on time. This is so unusual I am frightened to move in case I disrupt the space-time continuum. Spooky....

A train that will take you far away?
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Looks like they are winning the argument even more now .
  • Options
    NorthernPowerhouseNorthernPowerhouse Posts: 557
    edited January 2020

It’s much worse than it appears... they are measuring BMG against actual result of 45% and 33%. BMG final poll firmly in hung parliament territory.

It should be really measured against change from their last BMG poll.

Con 44% +5
    Lab 29% -4
    Libdem 11% -2
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The fact Nationwide are pushing equity release for expensive holidays too not just helping your children is just a marketing ploy to push their profits, nothing more
    I'm not talking about actual old people like my grandparents who were amazingly unselfish, it's my parents generation that are. Obviously this is all fairly alien to me because I'm Asian and passing down wealth is in our blood. However, the advert is playing vey badly with a generation that's already unimpressed with high street banks, the first of Starling/Monzo to offer mortgages will absolutely clean up.
    Surely the point is to appeal to customers with money that the bank can get their mitts on, not to skint Millenials?

I have passed on a fair bit of dosh to Fox jr, mostly to put him in the position that I was 30 years ago when finishing Uni. I had fee free university, even a student grant. I have not given him a silver spoon for his mouth, just not setting him off in independent life without the chains of debt.

You paid his tuition fees? Martin Lewis is shouting really loudly at you! Forget student loans, give him a house deposit. Of much more use.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

It’s much worse than it appears... they are measuring BMG against actual result of 45% and 33%. BMG final poll firmly in hung parliament territory.

It should be really measured against change from their last BMG poll.

Con 44% +5
    Lab 29% -4
    Libdem 11% -2
    Adjusting for house effect, Con 48%. :D
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

The fact Nationwide are pushing equity release for expensive holidays too not just helping your children is just a marketing ploy to push their profits, nothing more
    I'm not talking about actual old people like my grandparents who were amazingly unselfish, it's my parents generation that are. Obviously this is all fairly alien to me because I'm Asian and passing down wealth is in our blood. However, the advert is playing vey badly with a generation that's already unimpressed with high street banks, the first of Starling/Monzo to offer mortgages will absolutely clean up.
    Surely the point is to appeal to customers with money that the bank can get their mitts on, not to skint Millenials?

I have passed on a fair bit of dosh to Fox jr, mostly to put him in the position that I was 30 years ago when finishing Uni. I had fee free university, even a student grant. I have not given him a silver spoon for his mouth, just not setting him off in independent life without the chains of debt.

You paid his tuition fees? Martin Lewis is shouting really loudly at you! Forget student loans, give him a house deposit. Of much more use.
    Lefties and sound economics are not often bedfellows..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

No, just control immigration and you can still build enough housing without destroying the green belt. Plus lending beyond peoples means to repay to buy property was what caused the 2008 crash
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

No, just control immigration and you can still build enough housing without destroying the green belt. Plus lending beyond peoples means to repay to buy property was what caused the 2008 crash
    I’m not convinced that the last point is correctly founded in the U.K. context.
  • Options
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

It's more general lending than property, but fundamentally correct. Pretty much every UK lender that went bust was offering aggressively priced credit, the most notorious example of which was the 125% LTV mortgage. The crash still might not have happened without the credit crunch, but I don't think it's disputable that banks and building societies weren't pricing risk on lending very effectively in the run-up.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

It's more general lending than property, but fundamentally correct. Pretty much every UK lender that went bust was offering aggressively priced credit, the most notorious example of which was the 125% LTV mortgage. The crash still might not have happened without the credit crunch, but I don't think it's disputable that banks and building societies weren't pricing risk on lending very effectively in the run-up.
    In 2010 I sat in on a meeting where a team were considering bringing in a 110% mortgage product. I piped up and asked them WTF they were thinking as that was a really stupid idea. They started to rip me to shreds until an Exec who had been lurking on the call piped up to say I was right and they should be ashamed of themselves.

In times of low returns on capital and the need for sales volumes, stupid ideas will keep popping back up.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,623

Endillion said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

In 2010 I sat in on a meeting where a team were considering bringing in a 110% mortgage product.
    Wasn't Northern Rock was it? Oh no.....they actually did that....at 125% - there's no bad idea that can't be made worse.....
  • Options

Endillion said:

matt said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

In 2010 I sat in on a meeting where a team were considering bringing in a 110% mortgage product.
    Wasn't Northern Rock was it? Oh no.....they actually did that....at 125% - there's no bad idea that can't be made worse.....
    It was after the crash. No excuse
  • Options
    Endillion said:

viewcode said:

A train that will take you far away?
    I know where I hope the train will take me, but I can't know for sure... :)
  • Options
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:
    It's somewhat pessimistic that they think Trump and Brexit will still be major issues in the 24th century...
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    That's unfortunate. For one thing that they are coming right out and saying so suggests it'll be a subtle as a brick about it rather than merely being cutting subtext.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    edited January 2020

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

No, not his tuition fees. He has the full loan amount there, but I did pay his living expenses and also his fees for his law conversion course. He is earning now, but I will reimburse him his fee repayments when he passes the threshold to start repaying.

Student debt is clearly going to be a big issue in all future elections, and I think it only a matter of time before the whole loan book is written off, so daft to pay off as a lump sum. What I have attempted to do is to put Fox jr in a position where he is not constrained by it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Quincel said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Could you link to it, please
    https://youtu.be/7zdkCLhjYoA
    Lol, that is pretty tone deaf. It's not too bad if you don't already hold a slightly 'OK Boomer' worldview, but the bit where she says (paraphrasing) "I feel guilty about not passing on wealth because I inherited" and he replies (almost word for word) "When we're on a great holiday drinking wine I won't be thinking about anyone but myself" is not as benign/amusing as Nationwide seem to think!
    Amazing book on the US race, well done :)
  • Options
    Seems quite plausible. Anyone think much time will be spent in Canada?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    That's unfortunate. For one thing that they are coming right out and saying so suggests it'll be a subtle as a brick about it rather than merely being cutting subtext.
    I haven't seen any Star Trek apart from the original 1960s series, and that not for decades, but in it the Federation is not just a continent wide political union, but an interplanetary one, so implicitly is based on an end to nation states. Ditto the multi-species universe of Star Wars, which has interplanetary Empire, and Rebel council, with political, diplomatic and military structures.

The same goes for the future worlds of Starship Troopers and Alien. It does seem more or less assumed in all Science Fiction set so far in the future that nationalism and nation states are obsolete.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Seems quite plausible. Anyone think much time will be spent in Canada?
    It is quite possible, but it doesn't matter a lot that if they move on even further. I can see why they want to escape the toxic British Media, though in a globalised world that escape is very hard to achieve.

The British Media will harass Harry until he is dead, and then cry hypocritically over him.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I haven't seen any Star Trek apart from the original 1960s series, and that not for decades, but in it the Federation is not just a continent wide political union, but an interplanetary one, so implicitly is based on an end to nation states. Ditto the multi-species universe of Star Wars, which has interplanetary Empire, and Rebel council, with political, diplomatic and military structures.

The same goes for the future worlds of Starship Troopers and Alien. It does seem more or less assumed in all Science Fiction set so far in the future that nationalism and nation states are obsolete.

Yes, but that's what I mean about subtext - it takes on issues of nationalism etc without us needing to be told beforehand 'this is about Trump you dummies!'

A lot of star trek, next generation particularly, was about utopian ideals which at times was less than subtle criticism of current times, and that's fine, I loved next gen. It's just unfortunate he feels the need to batter us over the head with it before we even see it.

If there was a racist character called Bonald Drump for example it'd be a bit unnecessary as the point about a better society contrasted with Trump would exist without it. But 'taking on' Trump suggests to me they'll be very unsubtle while thinking they are oh so clever.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

On the point of nation states being obsolete in the future its interesting it's so common a predicted view, as nation states have been dominant for many centuries now and can be very stubborn. Some sci fi stories get around it with the idea earth itself is still run by nations or unions of nations, but theres some unified body essentially acting as the face of humanity in the stars, a la Mass Effect and the Systems Alliance.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    Ash Sarker will be along directly to explain (1) it’s a myth Labour has lost the working class (2) Labour won the arguments and (3) the red wave is coming.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,265
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

On the point of nation states being obsolete in the future its interesting it's so common a predicted view, as nation states have been dominant for many centuries now and can be very stubborn. Some sci fi stories get around it with the idea earth itself is still run by nations or unions of nations, but theres some unified body essentially acting as the face of humanity in the stars, a la Mass Effect and the Systems Alliance.
    Arguably the nation state in its current conception hasn’t actually been around for very long. The empires of ancient history and the family monarchies of medieval times were very different beasts. It is simply that we look back at history through the prism of our current circumstances.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ash Sarker will be along directly to explain (1) it’s a myth Labour has lost the working class (2) Labour won the arguments and (3) the red wave is coming.
    Don't new governments usually get a modest polling bounce?

I think this is the same BMG poll, the underlying positions haven't really changed.

https://twitter.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1216401880823279625?s=19
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably the nation state in its current conception hasn’t actually been around for very long. The empires of ancient history and the family monarchies of medieval times were very different beasts. It is simply that we look back at history through the prism of our current circumstances.
    Indeed, those Empires broke up within my lifetime, creating numerous new nation states. Was Britain truly a nation state when we had an Empire?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

By centuries I meant about 3-4 at most. It is pretty unusual in the grand scheme.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

By centuries I meant about 3-4 at most. It is pretty unusual in the grand scheme.
    You may find this article of interest, given it has close links to the subject:
    http://www.martinjacques.com/articles/civilization-state-versus-nation-state-2/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, those Empires broke up within my lifetime, creating numerous new nation states. Was Britain truly a nation state when we had an Empire?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Only for the first few emerging examples. Nation states as we currently perceive them only became the European norm after Versailles, and were later imposed upon the former colonial world as a parting gift.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,240
    kicorse said:

Several candidates in the leadership contest observed the absence of any seat that Labour had just lost from the 8 planned hustings.

https://labourlist.org/2020/01/labour-candidates-raise-concerns-over-official-leadership-hustings/

After these concerns were raised:

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1216772406276247553

In fairness they can lose seats in these areas the next time.
  • Options
    We are waiting for the appearance of technologically proficient aliens to accelerate the inevitable demise of the nation state. That or Chinese dominance.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,623
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,975
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Norman Davies book, Vanished Kingdoms: The History of Half-Forgotten Europe is an interesting read on this. Someone here recommended it some months ago. There's a comment in it that he expects Britain to break up before too long; it's done very well, so far, in the context of European history.
  • Options
    Nanny State or a good measure?

The gambling watchdog has confirmed that the use of credit cards for betting is to be banned from April.

The move, aimed at tackling problem gambling and protecting other vulnerable customers, was announced by the Gambling Commission following several reviews.

The ban, due to take effect on 14 April, covers all online and offline betting activities.

https://news.sky.com/story/credit-card-deposits-for-online-betting-to-be-banned-from-april-11908234
  • Options

The gambling watchdog has confirmed that the use of credit cards for betting is to be banned from April.

The move, aimed at tackling problem gambling and protecting other vulnerable customers, was announced by the Gambling Commission following several reviews.

The ban, due to take effect on 14 April, covers all online and offline betting activities.

https://news.sky.com/story/credit-card-deposits-for-online-betting-to-be-banned-from-april-11908234

PayPal?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Better than the idea being suggested to abolish Air Passenger Duty for domestic flights to bail out FlyBe. Not very climate friendly.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Very much a good move.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,975
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Only for the first few emerging examples. Nation states as we currently perceive them only became the European norm after Versailles, and were later imposed upon the former colonial world as a parting gift.
    Granddaughter 2, who will before too long will be able to choose between being a Thai and being a Brit has to date thought of herself as British, although she lives, and always has lived, in Thailand. However she had to write an essay on 'colonialism' recently and it has awakened her pride in Thai-ness; the only part of S/SE Asia never ruled by a Western invader.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,327

HYUFD said:
    It's somewhat pessimistic that they think Trump and Brexit will still be major issues in the 24th century...
    Have you read Alastair Meeks’ threads?
  • Options

Fux sake. Bad measure.

I use them all the time. It’s an investment tool like any other.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I think this is the same BMG poll, the underlying positions haven't really changed.

Too late
    We had the vote... we have to.leave.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,552

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Too late
    That’s hardly news.
    The point is rather that if you drive through a policy without majority support, any significant negative consequences are likely to come back and bite you.

Which might be the story of the next five years.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,552

Fux sake. Bad measure.

Financial sophisticates like yourself will only be mildly inconvenienced. That doesn’t necessarily make it a bad policy.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

How does this make sense?

I think they're saying there's very little than could happen for Bailey to win the thing. Rory could get some traction to give him a chance at being first but most likely he wont even beat Bailey. Others on here have flagged up skybet 3/1 Bailey coming second as great value. Pulpstar was one I think, whose betting opinion i rate highly. Ladbrokes seem to agree with him.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,970
    edited January 2020
    Nigelb said:

Fux sake. Bad measure.

Financial sophisticates like yourself will only be mildly inconvenienced. That doesn’t necessarily make it a bad policy.
    For every person who is inconvenienced by this I suspect it will help 100 if not 1,000 others.

Equally it's not actually going far enough - the ban should be attached to the credit cards not on the betting companies as it may just move things offshore.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Fux sake. Bad measure.

I agree. Credit cards are the most readily accessible mode of credit. If someone is using credit to gamble they have a problem.

A lot of people using credit cards will not be using credit but their convenience but debit cards are as flexible these days (provided you have the money in your account). I think that this will target problem gamblers quite effectively. Along with FOBTs it appears that government's tolerance of a fairly rapacious gambling sector is reaching its limits. I suspect more steps will follow.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. HYUFD/Mr. kle4, it sounds irksome.

Especially annoying is that there's a great, ready-made narrative that fits both the post-DS9 Alpha Quadrant and relates to modern Western politics.

Martok struggles to lead the Klingons as the nobility resent his authority. Federation torn between remaining militant or returning to a more peaceful footing. Division everywhere, but some threat (could be Borg but they did that quite a bit with Voyager) demands unity.

I don't think politics in sci-fi/fantasy is inherently a problem. But people don't like being preached to.
  • Options
    A stroke of Machiavellian genius not to force one on her in that case.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Too late
    That’s hardly news.
    The point is rather that if you drive through a policy without majority support, any significant negative consequences are likely to come back and bite you.

Yes, the Parliamentary majority is a manifestation of our FPTP system, not a change in the underlying feeling within the country. The Tories know this, hence the interest in voter suppression in the manifesto.
  • Options

At least the terminally useless Gambling Commission is now talking about problem gamblers and chasing, rather than the misleading term "addiction".
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

Fux sake. Bad measure.

For every person who is inconvenienced by this I suspect it will help 100 if not 1,000 others.

Equally it's not actually going far enough - the ban should be attached to the credit cards not on the betting companies as it may just move things offshore.
    One of the Faculty of Advocates pension fund's best investments in the last couple of years has been Mastercard. Whilst welcoming the gains I find this troubling. The business policies of credit card companies make the gambling industry look like innocents. The government has been pressurising "interest free" offers quite effectively but there is a huge amount to do.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Fux sake. Bad measure.

It’s a terrible tool to fight addiction.

You can simply do a cash advance to pay for it instead, just as you can still indulge alcohol and drug addiction with it.

This strikes me as “something must be done”; this is something, therefore we must do this.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Fux sake. Bad measure.

I agree. Credit cards are the most readily accessible mode of credit. If someone is using credit to gamble they have a problem.

A lot of people using credit cards will not be using credit but their convenience but debit cards are as flexible these days (provided you have the money in your account). I think that this will target problem gamblers quite effectively. Along with FOBTs it appears that government's tolerance of a fairly rapacious gambling sector is reaching its limits. I suspect more steps will follow.
    Debit cards can be debt cards just as much as credit cards, and the APR for being overdrawn far worse.

Nanny state nonsense.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,347
    edited January 2020
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Too late
    That’s hardly news.

It had majority support. It was legitimate.. its like labour taking the lead in the polls after after the general election and then claiming the Govt isnt legitimate. Its bullshit..
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    Mr. Eagles, people often use credit cards as a catch-all to include debit cards. Is that the case here?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited January 2020

"You paid his tuition fees? Martin Lewis is shouting really loudly at you! Forget student loans, give him a house deposit. Of much more use".

Foxy said: "No, not his tuition fees. He has the full loan amount there, but I did pay his living expenses and also his fees for his law conversion course. He is earning now, but I will reimburse him his fee repayments when he passes the threshold to start repaying.

Student debt is clearly going to be a big issue in all future elections, and I think it only a matter of time before the whole loan book is written off, so daft to pay off as a lump sum. What I have attempted to do is to put Fox jr in a position where he is not constrained by it".

Nice one Foxy, correct tactics. Pledges such as Corbyn`s over student loans has made it very unwise to repay any faster than is necessary. Very irresponsible policy statement.

If a parent had cleared their child`s loan, wholly or partially, and then a future government wiped the book, the parent would have no chance of clawing back payments voluntarily made.

The graduate can make repayments even less than need-be by making larger pension plan contributions. As I`ve pointed out before, student "loans" are best thought of a graduate tax which ceases after 30 years.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Fux sake. Bad measure.

Debit cards can be debt cards just as much as credit cards, and the APR for being overdrawn far worse.

Nanny state nonsense.
    I think that you will find the debt profile very different (although this is something to keep an eye on). The credit checks on who gets an authorised overdraft are very different from those offered credit cards in their junk mail.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. HYUFD/Mr. kle4, it sounds irksome.

Especially annoying is that there's a great, ready-made narrative that fits both the post-DS9 Alpha Quadrant and relates to modern Western politics.

Martok struggles to lead the Klingons as the nobility resent his authority. Federation torn between remaining militant or returning to a more peaceful footing. Division everywhere, but some threat (could be Borg but they did that quite a bit with Voyager) demands unity.

I don't think politics in sci-fi/fantasy is inherently a problem. But people don't like being preached to.

Star Trek, TOS particularly, has always taken on political issues head on.

Plato's Stepchildren and Let That Be Your Last Battlefield took on America's racism/segregation issues and were being accused of preaching to their audience.

The Voyage Home was accused of preaching to viewers on Climate Change/animal extinction but they turned out to be right.
This discussion has been closed.