Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bernie and Buttigieg the main betting gainers following the ov

13»

Comments

• Options

Sheffield is in the Midlands?

Ferfuxakes how can Yorkshire be in the Midlands? We’re the most Northern county you can find!
    The station is called Sheffield Midland. It is on the Midland Mainline.

Must be in the Midlands then.
    When I lived in Sunderland the South was regarded as starting somewhere not far South of Middlesborough.
    Growing up in Devon we regarded Bristol as somewhere up in the North.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,983
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Gabs3 said:

Cyclefree said:
    Given the laughable failure of basic checks and deletions of records in paedophile case after paedophile case, at what point do we stop attributing this to incompetence and start to consider deliberate cover ups by rings of powerful people? What happened to Theresa May's review of all this? Strangely silently dropped?

And there doesn't seem to be any great determination by their successors to investigate, as opposed to "learn lessons"...
    If the government provided the funding and gave me the necessary powers I could pull together a team of really tough no nonsense investigators that would really find out what was going on and not take any shit from these people. Not that any government would do this because they don’t really want to know and all pay obeisance to the law’n’order / sun shines out of the police’s arses nonsense.

More seriously, in the story on Manchester there is reference to one of the girls being seen in a car which was traced to someone in the police and when this was noted the person finding this out being told not to go there. It would not surprise me one bit to find out there was more active involvement by some in the police and local councillors and other worthies in what was being done to the girls and not just in the doing nothing. It wasn’t just Asian taxi drivers who were abusing the girls, I suspect.

Er.....
    Or, worse, that some of the girls were seen as perks of the job and that money was being made out of them.

It does stink to high heaven.

The Guardian interview with Sophie Cookson, the actor currently playing Christine Keeler, is apposite.
    'Rarely, if ever, has it been seen for what it was: a sex scandal in which predatory men in late middle age procured teenage girls, then derided them as sex-crazed liars and schemers.'
    I have a family connection with those involved in the Profumo case and knew some of those involved over a period of years. The reality was a bit more nuanced than this actress is claiming. Some of the women involved were not children and did indeed lie, as did the men. Stephen Ward probably suffered a miscarriage of justice.

Very different to the abuse of vulnerable children who were in the state’s care.
    While I recognise the difference, and am not at all surprised that the 'the reality is more nuanced', I was also thinking of the abuse which Keeler, and probably Rice-Davies, suffered in their earlier years.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The M4 defines the South.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

Ferfuxakes how can Yorkshire be in the Midlands? We’re the most Northern county you can find!

When I lived in Sunderland the South was regarded as starting somewhere not far South of Middlesborough.
    Growing up in Scotland one of our neighbours went all the way to England for their Summer Holidays - Whitley Bay, no less, which any fule kno is practically on the equator.....
  • Options

united-kingdom-map-max

That feels about right - Derby is in the Midlands, Chesterfield is in the North. Stoke is on the border.

Not sure about Gloucester, Cheltenham and Peterborough, think that line may need to be touch flatter.

Peterborough is in the East, which is roughly the A1 southbound from Grantham to Stevenage, then across just North of Chelmsford.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    TOPPING said:

ha no. But def a difference in whatever pressure does inside a car. Same as if you open one window; I think because of the speed air entered the car via some other means? No idea perhaps someone knows.

The pressure difference is 1/2 ρv2 so just shy of 2,000Pa at 125mph.

If you've been faster than 125 in a fucking heap like a Senator you should get a medal.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited January 2020
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:
    And the Tories won a UK wide majority on their manifesto commitment to block indyref2 in that UK wide election
    No, clearly the only option was to elect Stephen Kerr. He was not elected, thus IndyRef 2 is Conservative policy.

Checkmate.
    Stephen Kerr was standing to be a candidate for the UK Parliament on the same no to indyref2 Tory manifesto policy as every other Tory Westminster candidate.

The Tories got a majority of seats in the Commons, thus a mandate for no to indyref2 as per their policy.

Checkmate
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    kicorse said:

I've been expecting him to win for a while now, and it's not so much about the individual candidates. The Democrats as a whole have doubled down on everything that was driving voters away in 2016.

If they could have calmly talked about health and how America is losing the trade-war with China, they should be walking it. They didn't even need to talk much about what a vile human being Trump is. It's self-evident.

Your view is sound. It looks good for him. However I am certain he will lose. Let me try and explain. There are sometimes - not often but sometimes - events which although rational analysis points to them probably happening are so absurd that one somehow knows that they won't. You put all the micro stuff to one side, levitate up to the clouds and then you look down at the event from there and you ask yourself "Really?" and the answer is "No. Just no." In which case what you do is lay it for lots and collect in due course when the event duly comes to (not) pass.

Examples of these Not Happening Events from 2019. A second EU Referendum. Was it ever really even a remote possibility that we would set aside the monumental 2016 vote and do it again? Not a chance. Lay it. Or a No Deal crash out of the EU. Was any PM ever going to tear up our trading arrangements with our biggest market and replace them with nothing? And with a border in Ireland thrown in? Nope. Not in this world. Lay it.

OK, so here, with Trump, we have another one of these. The guy is utterly unfit for the position he holds. Everyone with a brain cell and a modicum of decency knows this. Therefore I cannot believe that the American people will go for another 4 years of this reprehensible and truly outlandish situation. Elected him once, yes, albeit a fluke, but to do it again? Surely not. Trump 2nd term is a Not Happening Event. It will shake me to the core if I'm wrong about this.
  • Options

Growing up in Scotland one of our neighbours went all the way to England for their Summer Holidays - Whitley Bay, no less, which any fule kno is practically on the equator.....
    When I lived in Sunderland I was a student and lived in lodgings. The landlady let our rooms to Scots during the Summer. I met a some of them; three lads from Leith who wanted different beer. The landlord used to taken them to the nearby WMC on arrival and sign them in as temporary members.
    They'd then spend the midday there, go and sleep on the beach in the afternoon, and go back, or somewhere similar in the evenings.
  • Options
    More likely Boris told the whips to tell Tory backbenchers to cool it so he can think.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Good grief all this drama over Big Ben .

Just ring the damn bong so we don’t have to put up with two more weeks of listening to the constant whining from some Leave politicians .

• Options
    A new thread has appeared, colleagues. New subjects for discussion perchance?
  • Options

Nope just Sheffield:

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/shf/details.html

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760

Meanwhile in Jakarta:...

No. She can cart herself, thank you.

(Couldn't resist it)
This discussion has been closed.