Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember Starmer only got 31% of first choices in the YouGov L

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    kinabalu said:

I’m still waiting for my membership card. Getting nervous I won’t get a vote...

That would be incredibly annoying. I thought you were a Lib Dem though?
    I was a Lib Dem “registered supporter” for a while. I voted Labour in the GE though.

I was a Labour member up until Owen Smith lost to Corbyn and then I quit.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    isam said:

Only £9.34ph? They might as well ask the students to call them ‘Massa’

https://twitter.com/workinprocessuk/status/1216993463515918336?s=21

Oh good. We are reinventing the Stasi. Because life is apparently just too nice.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

From the Guardian live blog, reporting on the journalists' questions after Lisa Nandy's speech today:

Q: Why did you not mention the green new deal in your speech?

Nandy says she did not use the phrase because “it means absolutely nothing to most of my constituents”.

She says the party needs to find the right language to explain its policies.

A pretty damned good answer!

She's my probable pick but not sure about this. She's not running for Wigan council.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

nunu2 said:

I watched the Dem debate last night, and have to say Amy Klobuchar really came across well, and I'm someone who thought America is so unequal it needs a radical like Sanders. I believe she could actually get things done.

I dont know what the pundits reaction to the debate is yet, but I think she will have another surge. Enough to put her into double digits. I'm saying this as someone who was really turned off by her in the bullying allegations.

@rcs1000 summary for Klobucher was “meh” and he has been a bit of a fan. Personally I’m just appalled that the Democrats are screwing this up so badly and at risk of having that ignorant buffoon in the White House for another 4 long years.
    She wasn't terrible. She just didn't stand out. Really, no one did. It was a terrible debate, with the candidates largely competing to prove their left wing credentials.

The interesting part to me was Warren Vs Sanders, where she drew blood. That being said, "drawing blood" is not necessarily a winning strategy. Most people believe Buttigieg drew Warren's blood last debate, and that resulted in then both going backwards.
    You’re not selling it. I remember the story on the dust cover of the natural, Joe Kleins book about Clinton. He described how Clinton had had a tough meeting with trade unionists in NH explaining how their traditional jobs were never coming back. It wasn’t a popular message but he didn’t back off. Klein was in the audience with his young daughter (Amy I think). On his way out he bent down to speak to her. He explained that he was the reason she had not been seeing much of her dad, “ but let me tell you something Amy, he talks about you all the time “.

Where are the politicians who can tell hard truths whilst still charming and persuading their audience? Competing to show how left wing they are? How does that beat Trump?
    The last politician to turn up and tell workers their jobs weren't coming back during an election campaign was Macron.
    That’s President Macron to you and me. Is there a lesson there? Corbyn had similar problems. Without turning down any cause, no matter how undeserving (yes women pensioners, I’m thinking of you) he lost all credibility. The Democratic field should reflect on these and many other examples.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited January 2020

nico67 said:

So unless the UK pulls out of the Iran Nuclear Deal it might not get a US trade deal .

So much for taking back control . When will the UK be adopting the dollar ?

Let’s be honest there’s not going to be a US trade deal.
    Can you imagine the furore if the EU interfered with UK foreign policy as a means of withholding a trade deal .

Some Leavers seem happy to be the US lapdog which is good because that’s exactly where the UK is heading !
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2020
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

So unless the UK pulls out of the Iran Nuclear Deal it might not get a US trade deal .

So much for taking back control . When will the UK be adopting the dollar ?

Let’s be honest there’s not going to be a US trade deal.
    Can you imagine the furore if the EU interfered with UK foreign policy as a means of withholding a trade deal .

Some Leavers seem happy to be the US lapdog which is good because that’s exactly where the UK is heading !
    The EU does currently interfere with UK foreign policy as part of its trade deal, and domestic policy too, that's why we're leaving.

Other nations are free to conduct foreign policy as they like.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The way to prevent Indyref2 was for the Tories to win a majority (not an individual candidate to be an MP). The Tories won a majority. Checkmate.

Philip, just taking the long view for a second -

If Brexit turns out to be a blunder of such clear and monumental proportions as Suez, will you be admitting to your grandkids that you not only voted for the project but spent 3 years on the country's leading political website arguing fervently with all-comers in support of it?
    Whether Brexit is a failur or a success the answer is no.

I don't think I'll be talking to my grandkids about this website either way. I don't like talking about politics in real life which is why I like talking about it online instead. I don't know how my grandparents voted decades ago.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

2000 Syrian mercenaries deployed by Turkey in Libya in support of the government, taking on Russian and Sudanese mercenaries backing the rebel warlord Haftar (who is also supported by France...):
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/15/exclusive-2000-syrian-troops-deployed-to-libya-to-support-regime

Not the most stable of situations.

Imagine if Trump’s semi-random efforts do succeed in bringing down the Iranian regime.
    What then ?

I'm sure everyone has learned from previous mistakes.

No, the other thing!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

kinabalu said:

The way to prevent Indyref2 was for the Tories to win a majority (not an individual candidate to be an MP). The Tories won a majority. Checkmate.

Philip, just taking the long view for a second -

If Brexit turns out to be a blunder of such clear and monumental proportions as Suez, will you be admitting to your grandkids that you not only voted for the project but spent 3 years on the country's leading political website arguing fervently with all-comers in support of it?
    Whether Brexit is a failur or a success the answer is no.

I don't think I'll be talking to my grandkids about this website either way. I don't like talking about politics in real life which is why I like talking about it online instead. I don't know how my grandparents voted decades ago.
    My father didn't dare join the Conservative Club while his father was still alive!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    DavidL said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    If fewer people attend than went on the "Peoples March", is that a mandate for a second referendum?

Or just straight revoke?
    At a minimum. Probably a grovelling apology as well. This is how democracy works, isn’t it?
    Stop complaining, you won and we're Leaving even though most people don't want to.
  • Options
    Definitely lay Liverpool for next season’s PL.

https://twitter.com/johnbennettbbc/status/1217454902898761729?s=21

Plus with Salah likely to miss the start of the 20/21 season Mo’s hardly going to play for Liverpool next season.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

nunu2 said:

I watched the Dem debate last night, and have to say Amy Klobuchar really came across well, and I'm someone who thought America is so unequal it needs a radical like Sanders. I believe she could actually get things done.

I dont know what the pundits reaction to the debate is yet, but I think she will have another surge. Enough to put her into double digits. I'm saying this as someone who was really turned off by her in the bullying allegations.

@rcs1000 summary for Klobucher was “meh” and he has been a bit of a fan. Personally I’m just appalled that the Democrats are screwing this up so badly and at risk of having that ignorant buffoon in the White House for another 4 long years.
    I don't think BJ will be making trips to the WH for the whole 4 years.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

DavidL said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:
    If fewer people attend than went on the "Peoples March", is that a mandate for a second referendum?

Or just straight revoke?
    At a minimum. Probably a grovelling apology as well. This is how democracy works, isn’t it?
    Stop complaining, you won and we're Leaving even though most people don't want to.
    Most people wanted to Leave on the day they were asked.

Can you see where you've been going wrong yet?
  • Options

Plus with Salah likely to miss the start of the 20/21 season Mo’s hardly going to play for Liverpool next season.

Just means they'll only win by 6 points.....
  • Options

twitter.com/johnbennettbbc/status/1217454902898761729?s=21

Because?
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Remember how they said Brexit would level London into rubble?

London is now ahead of NYC, Hong Kong, Singapore, Frankfurt, Paris, in attracting hi-tech startup investment. It is THE global city

https://www.prolificlondon.co.uk/tech-news/2020/01/uk-tech-sector-grows-faster-rate-us-and-china-london-now-rival-silicon-valley
  • Options

Whether Brexit is a failure or a success the answer is no.

Not inclined to fault that answer. There is certainly a big difference between online and flesh & blood interaction. Take me, for example. On here I wax lyrical about this and that, never short of a word or three, but put me in a high tension Labour Party meeting with a bunch of truly committed activists and I struggle to say more than "excuse me where are the toilets?"
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

DavidL said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

Or just straight revoke?
    It's like James O'Brien wrote a book "How to be Gracious in Defeat"
  • Options
    For a man that is supposedly so ill he is unable to any simple questions for years on end he does keep extremely busy.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    kinabalu said:

Whether Brexit is a failure or a success the answer is no.

Not inclined to fault that answer. There is certainly a big difference between online and flesh & blood interaction. Take me, for example. On here I wax lyrical about this and that, never short of a word or three, but put me in a high tension Labour Party meeting with a bunch of truly committed activists and I struggle to say more than "excuse me where are the toilets?"
    And they reply "We just lost them all to the Tories over Brexit?"
  • Options

Because?
    Egypt are talking about playing Salah in the Olympics.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50601827
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855

The EU does currently interfere with UK foreign policy as part of its trade deal, and domestic policy too, that's why we're leaving.

Other nations are free to conduct foreign policy as they like.

It's more complex than that - we already yield part of our sovereignty in foreign and defence policy to NATO and did so while outside the EU from 1949 to 1973.

Outside the NATO area, the European countries have always had more latitude - Vietnam being one example, the Gulf being another.

There are international treaties which were signed by the European Union and to which we, as a member, were and are a Party. I presume part of the withdrawal process will be a formal re-signing of those as the United Kingdom. I would be interested to know if we choose to withdraw from any of those treaties and why.

The evolution of the EU from Rome to Lisbon via Maastricht has presumably included such commitments to joint treaty accession so it's not as thought we didn't know to what we were agreeing in terms of the pooling of sovereignty.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    Byronic said:

London is now ahead of NYC, Hong Kong, Singapore, Frankfurt, Paris, in attracting hi-tech startup investment. It is THE global city

https://www.prolificlondon.co.uk/tech-news/2020/01/uk-tech-sector-grows-faster-rate-us-and-china-london-now-rival-silicon-valley

You utter, utter cretin.

No one ever said that. People mostly said that there would be a gradual and near imperceptible diminution in the importance of London as a financial and perhaps tech centre and hence dolts like you would not notice because you're not that bright.
  • Options

Because?

What a stupid move. If I was him I would get a sick note.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    TGOHF666 said:
    ''not a flying toy''
  • Options

We'll have to rely on Firmino and Minamino etc for a month. Most clubs would do anything to have them playing.

Incidentally I've been meaning to say, I asked here a while back for how to get odds because I suggested after looking at the forthcoming fixture list that Liverpool could get to Christmas with a 100% win record. I was told that would be thousands to one against and impossible . . .

. . . while the draw versus Manchester United means it didn't happen, I'm taking that as a moral victory that the odds were better than suggested. A near miss, but not a bad prediction for thousands to one against.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Viewcode, hey, this is more progressive than the Stasi.

Which reminds me: we must recruit an overseer level of snitches to report back on anything the snitches say which aren't acceptable.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Peter Brookes confirming the reputation of Matt as the only funny political cartoonist working today.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

No one ever said that. People mostly said that there would be a gradual and near imperceptible diminution in the importance of London as a financial and perhaps tech centre and hence dolts like you would not notice because you're not that bright.
    Lol

https://financefeeds.com/londons-trading-fintech-rockets-ahead-investment-apac-fintech-h1-2019/
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Americans are buying up British tech companies, you mean. How precisely is that good in the long term?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

I thought there was an article about it on here specifically saying that it would be harder for London to attract tech talent because of Brexit? @SouthamObserver likes to link to it
  • Options
    isam said:

"Toilets" is a rather unPC way to refer to Northern towns!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Can i just get this right. You predicted something that would be “near imperceptible” and you claim that a triumph?

I am going to predict that my penis will grow by 0.00000001mm a year (ie about the size of yours in total) and within 7,000 decades it will rival the largest cucumber in Wiltshire,

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

• Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

"Toilets" is a rather unPC way to refer to Northern towns!
    That's the joke!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2020

Byronic said:

Americans are buying up British tech companies, you mean. How precisely is that good in the long term?
    Yeah its really terrible that Google bought Deepmind, pumped in billions and since then they have gone from <100 employees to over 1000 in 4 years and hired 500 PhDs in a 2 year period.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Lol

https://financefeeds.com/londons-trading-fintech-rockets-ahead-investment-apac-fintech-h1-2019/
    QED you don't quite understand what you are posting. Investment in China is slowing down because there is doubt about the robustness of the regulatory environment and hence investment just about everywhere else has increased. In particular the US; the alternative to London was never going to be Frankfurt. It was (and is) going to be NY or Dublin or once but now not so sure, HK. And so it is proving.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Christ alive..London is attracting massive investment. Property prices are growing again. This is very much NOT was predicted by the half waited middlebrow Remainers like Topping.

Sorry.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-tech-start-ups-win-record-investment-brrm036zf
  • Options

Because?

If he doesn’t play for Egypt then the Egyptian FA can get FIFA to ban Liverpool from playing him for the duration of the Olympics plus ten days either side.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    OT: Anybody got any betting opinions on tomorrows test? I'm tempted by Betfairs 6.6 for a draw, but I'm crap at betting so maybe you should ignore that...
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Lol

QED you don't quite understand what you are posting. Investment in China is slowing down because there is doubt about the robustness of the regulatory environment and hence investment just about everywhere else has increased. In particular the US; the alternative to London was never going to be Frankfurt. It was (and is) going to be NY or Dublin or once but now not so sure, HK. And so it is proving.
    Tell us more about your “near imperceptible” erections, and your wife’s “near imperceptible” orgasms.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353
    The nickname "toilets" is reserved for "Toilets" Maguire of the rag the Daily Mirror, so named because his office was next to the toilets.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Because?

If he doesn’t play for Egypt then the Egyptian FA can get FIFA to ban Liverpool from playing him for the duration of the Olympics plus ten days either side.
    That would be even dumber. Olympics is supposed to be an U23 competition with a couple of experienced heads through in the mix and they ain't going to win it regardless.

Given the work load of Salah over the past 2-3 seasons and the African Cup of Nations coming up next Christmas, surely they would want to give him a bit of time off, rather than sending him to the knackers yard years early.
  • Options

Because?

So 2 games total?
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

I thought there was an article about it on here specifically saying that it would be harder for London to attract tech talent because of Brexit? @SouthamObserver likes to link to it
    It will be. But no one is forecasting the UK sinking into the North Sea.
  • Options

Byronic said:

Yeah its really terrible that Google bought Deepmind, pumped in billions and since then they have gone from <100 employees to over 1000 in 4 years and hired 500 PhDs in a 2 year period.</p>
    You’re arguing with an angry infant. That is now the mentality of Remainers.
  • Options
    PB Remainers. PROUD TO BE IDIOTS.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Can i just get this right. You predicted something that would be “near imperceptible” and you claim that a triumph?

I am going to predict that my penis will grow by 0.00000001mm a year (ie about the size of yours in total) and within 7,000 decades it will rival the largest cucumber in Wiltshire,

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

So in 7,000 decades your penis will be 0.00007cm long? Sounds about right.

I always said Brexit would be like an extra 2p on beer and fags. People like you wouldn't notice but you would be poorer although it wouldn't stop you buying a Range Rover Evoque in shocking pink on the never never because you are dim and have no taste.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Yeah its really terrible that Google bought Deepmind, pumped in billions and since then they have gone from <100 employees to over 1000 in 4 years and hired 500 PhDs in a 2 year period.</p>
    I'm not a Remainer. I'm deploring the lack of UK investment.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

I always said Brexit would be like an extra 2p on beer and fags. People like you wouldn't notice but you would be poorer although it wouldn't stop you buying a Range Rover Evoque in shocking pink on the never never because you are dim and have no taste.
    Awww bless. You tried to be funny
  • Options

Because?

So 2 games total?
    Four games.

The next three seasons are slightly different for the Qatar World Cup.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

Not at all I just used your numbers to do the actual calculations which of course are trivially easy. But beyond you of course. And like so many Leavers, you believe that said with enough gusto, any pronouncement will mean exactly the opposite of the what the actual facts and figures say.
  • Options

Peter Brookes confirming the reputation of Matt as the only funny political cartoonist working today.

Humour aside, I am disappointed to see the cartoon employing the "Starmer is boring" trope. He is NOT boring. Where is this thing coming from whereby politicians are expected to be entertainers? I sense it's part of the dumbing down of political discourse and I don't like it. If I want to be entertained I'll put on a DVD or go to a show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDcMBG872sE
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

Not at all I just used your numbers to do the actual calculations which of course are trivially easy. But beyond you of course. And like so many Leavers, you believe that said with enough gusto, any pronouncement will mean exactly the opposite of the what the actual facts and figures say.
    Christ. Stop
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

A bit tetchy and intemperate in here. It is becoming like a facebook politics group/
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Humour aside, I am disappointed to see the cartoon employing the "Starmer is boring" trope. He is NOT boring. Where is this thing coming from whereby politicians are expected to be entertainers? I sense it's part of the dumbing down of political discourse and I don't like it. If I want to be entertained I'll put on a DVD or go to a show.

His speaking style really is quite boring. Sorry. And I write as someone who would like him to WIN the leadership because it would be good to have a sane, decent person leading Her Majesty’s Opposition. Because - who knows - Labour might just win next time.

But he really is boring on TV. He drones. The same way Boris bumbles..But Boris is funny and watchable.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

Christ. Stop
    It is actually quite amusing. With tremendous gusto and no little wit you made a funny. But like so many leavers the rhetoric failed to match the reality.

You spending time googling tech investment doesn't make you any less unaware about the economic consequences of Brexit. When it eventually happens.
  • Options
    isam said:

That's the joke!

Yes, I know, and rather a good one. I was making absolutely sure that everybody got it. Your joke, though, not mine. It was you who came up with it.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

<

Christ alive..London is attracting massive investment. Property prices are growing again. This is very much NOT was predicted by the half waited middlebrow Remainers like Topping.

To clarify on London property prices, which covers a multitude of sins across 32 Boroughs and the City, prices last year fell by 0.7% but in Tower Hamlets for example prices rose by 1.9% while in Brent they fell 4.2%.

There is a lot of talk of a "spring bounce" but until it happens that's all it is. The massive amounts of new building going on in many parts of London (not just the likes of Battersea and Nine Elms but even over in the likes of Barking, Dagenham and Ilford) suggest plenty of supply coming on-stream with a welcome number of flats for shared ownership so we may see the demand side of the equation being dealt with.

There is still however a huge demand for rented housing whether private or public though unfortunately this Government seems determined to wreck the private (and public rented) sectors in an ideological desire for everyone to be a home owner.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

You surely realise that the right-wing Press, theTelegraph, Mail, Express and Sun, and their on-line associates and arms are currently trawling through Starmer's, and probably Nandy's past, and the pasts of their nearest and dearest for anything that might be triumphantly dragged out and used to blacken their characters.
    Look at the dreadful hatchet job on Ed Milliband's father, a man who served his adopted country.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

His speaking style really is quite boring. Sorry. And I write as someone who would like him to WIN the leadership because it would be good to have a sane, decent person leading Her Majesty’s Opposition. Because - who knows - Labour might just win next time.

But he really is boring on TV. He drones. The same way Boris bumbles..But Boris is funny and watchable.
    Starmer (or whoever wins) should pop down to RADA (other drama schools are available) for a short course in how to speak so people stay awake.
  • Options
    Russian government resigns as Putin plans future
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51120166
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

PROVE ME WRONG!!!

Christ. Stop
    It is actually quite amusing. With tremendous gusto and no little wit you made a funny. But like so many leavers the rhetoric failed to match the reality.

You spending time googling tech investment doesn't make you any less unaware about the economic consequences of Brexit. When it eventually happens.
    Hmm. That is Intriguing. I wonder if you are evincing the little known, “near imperceptible” Kubler Stage TWELVE of Grief, in which you turn into a Twat?

• Options

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Starmer (or whoever wins) should pop down to RADA (other drama schools are available) for a short course in how to speak so people stay awake.
    Indeed. It isn’t that hard to speak in a way that doesn’t kill people with dullness.

Was Starmer a successful lawyer? I presume he must have been to become DPP. But wow, pity the juries
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Lol

Tell us more about your “near imperceptible” erections, and your wife’s “near imperceptible” orgasms.
    How would he know? He ain't there.....
  • Options
    :o

Japanese striker Kazuyoshi Miura is the ultimate evergreen player. His professional career started in 1986. And he's still going.

At 52 (he turns 53 in February), Miura has just signed on the dotted line to play in the J1 League, Japan's top division, for the 2020 season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51123128

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

We'll have to rely on Firmino and Minamino etc for a month. Most clubs would do anything to have them playing.

Incidentally I've been meaning to say, I asked here a while back for how to get odds because I suggested after looking at the forthcoming fixture list that Liverpool could get to Christmas with a 100% win record. I was told that would be thousands to one against and impossible . . .

. . . while the draw versus Manchester United means it didn't happen, I'm taking that as a moral victory that the odds were better than suggested. A near miss, but not a bad prediction for thousands to one against.
    For the record, just in case no-one gave you a direct answer at the time, emailing the big bookies or asking them on Twitter would have worked; you'd probably have gotten at least 1 or 2 quoting. Bespoke odds are much bigger these days because computers make it easier to calculate and bookies reckon people will accept poor odds on random bets they have in their mind (not saying you would have).

I once asked Ladbrokes, WillHill, PaddyPower, and Bet365 for odds on Gibralter losing all 10 of their Euro 2020 qualifying matches. Ladbrokes quoted decent odds, but I could get more by just betting on every match in turn (which I did, and a 2-1 defeat to Cyprus gave me a nervy evening!).
  • Options

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Lol

And you know why your wife is so fat don't you.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Lol

LOL edited to add a zinger! Anyone would think you were a writer of mediocre airport novels with editing habits like that.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Are his supporters Starmertroopers?

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Lol

That was very funny.

Once upon a time.
  • Options

Japanese striker Kazuyoshi Miura is the ultimate evergreen player. His professional career started in 1986. And he's still going.

At 52 (he turns 53 in February), Miura has just signed on the dotted line to play in the J1 League, Japan's top division, for the 2020 season.

Means the Japanese league is nearly as much as a pub league as the Scottish Premiership.
  • Options

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Doing that, or similar, did wonders for Maggie.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

I'm not a Remainer. I'm deploring the lack of UK investment.
    The Telegraph has a breakdown by region it looks like UK, USA and Asia are 30% each and Europe is 10%.
  • Options

Because?

That would be even dumber. Olympics is supposed to be an U23 competition with a couple of experienced heads through in the mix and they ain't going to win it regardless.

Given the work load of Salah over the past 2-3 seasons and the African Cup of Nations coming up next Christmas, surely they would want to give him a bit of time off, rather than sending him to the knackers yard years early.
    I wouldn't rule it out, didn't Iraq do well before?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Indeed. It isn’t that hard to speak in a way that doesn’t kill people with dullness.

Was Starmer a successful lawyer? I presume he must have been to become DPP. But wow, pity the juries
    "An empty taxi drove up to 10 Downing Street...and Byronic watched as out of it stepped newly elected PM Kier Starmer.”

• Options
    The dark horse Nandy gallops on...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Lol

That was very funny.
    Once upon a time.
    Too close to the mark... ?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Byronic said:

I think it's to do with the shrinking of attention spans and related capacity for calm and serious contemplation of things. If somebody doesn't make people laugh or feel something extreme such as anger or joy or revulsion within 2 minutes they reach for the remote. For example, here is Keir Starmer delivering an excellent lecture back in 2014. It lasts about an hour or so - not particularly long - and yet it has only 3093 views in over 5 years. That's 2 a day. People see "Starmer" and "lecture" and "over an hour" and they shy away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwW7GAWVyRc
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Wow, makes Kimiko Date-Krumm look like she retired early!

I saw her play Serena Williams in her comeback at a grand slam. She lost, but was really close to winning. Playing from a different era threw Williams off completely, especially in the first set!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimiko_Date
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,996
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Sorry.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-tech-start-ups-win-record-investment-brrm036zf
    It is my belief that London house prices will recover in the spring and then possibly rise quite rapidly again, such is the pent-up demand. But, this requires a relatively soft landing Brexitwise. As Boris no longer has any incentive to placate the ERG, being lazy he might close the line of least resistance, which is high regulatory alignment with the EU and a fairly London-friendly settlement.

Some wishful thinking in that post, certainly. But one lives in hope.
  • Options
    On topic, I suspect new members since the General Election tends to help Starmer and harm RLB. My presumption would be that these are mainly people whose membership lapsed under Corbyn and who are not huge fans of his. On balance, they are probably more likely to be joining to back a change of direction rather than more of the same.

I find it hard to see very credible routes to victory for other candidates, with the exception of Nandy, who starts from a low base. RLB is running as "10 out of 10" on Corbyn, which immediately rules out the 40% of members who voted for Owen Smith in 2016 plus a fair number of the 60% who were willing to give Corbyn a go but accept that he lost badly and handled antisemitism incompetently, so are ready to move on. Philips is running as "never Corbyn" candidate, which rules out the other 60% who felt he deserved a chance. Thornberry just isn't widely enough liked and will struggle to cross the next hurdle let alone win.

The people who can stitch together 50% after transfers are Starmer and Nandy, both of whom can say they honestly tried to make Corbyn's time in office work, but were never part of the Project and are ready to turn the page. And Starmer simply starts from a much higher base, so I think his odds of winning are well over 50%.

To the extent the odds are generous/mean, I think they underrate Nandy's chances, and overrate everyone but her and Starmer.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

"An empty taxi drove up to 10 Downing Street...and Byronic watched as out of it stepped newly elected PM Kier Starmer.”

KSIDIPM

Keir Starmer is dull, is PM.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Can we PLEASE move on from the all-too-easy teasing of angry, jumpng-up-and-down intellectual midgets like Topping? It is unedifying. OK, so he’s not the shapeliest dildo in his wife’s bedside drawer. It’s not his fault,

Instead we should be focusing on the good news. Because this really is good news for Britain. London is shrugging off Brexit.

“Saul Klein, a partner at investment firm LocalGlobe and a co-founder of Lovefilm, sees the rise of technology in the UK as akin to an unstoppable force.

“The secular wave of technology is so huge that it's beyond Brexit,” he says. “If you look at the numbers, since we knew that the country had voted to leave in 2016, every year since then has been a record: More money has gone into the sector, more jobs have been created.”

Rob Kniaz, a partner at Deliveroo and Babylon backer Hoxton Ventures, is equally upbeat.

“There’s a bit of an echo chamber among the Twittering classes about the UK being in a doom spiral,” he says in a phone call from Kiev. “It's pleasant to see that the reality is actually not that and despite the naysayers, things are booming.”“

The gloomsters were wrong. That is a good thing. But this is only London. The rest of the country may be very different....

Goodnight!
  • Options

It is my belief that London house prices will recover in the spring and then possibly rise quite rapidly again, such is the pent-up demand. But, this requires a relatively soft landing Brexitwise. As Boris no longer has any incentive to placate the ERG, being lazy he might close the line of least resistance, which is high regulatory alignment with the EU and a fairly London-friendly settlement.

Some wishful thinking in that post, certainly. But one lives in hope.

Are rising property prices helpful in any way (except for those who own property)? There's further talk of interest rate cuts but it seems to me if Javid and Johnson are trying to pump prime the economy (just in case leaving the EU proves economically sub-optimal) the last thing we should be doing is throwing petrol on a perfectly good fire.

Indeed, a rise in interest rate looks overdue.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Lol

That was very funny.
    Once upon a time.
    If you want to tell my wife she's fat, be my guest....
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Barristers aren't there to entertain judges and juries. They are there to get a result.

People are far too influenced by artistic licence exercised in courtroom dramas. Go to an actual court, and you'll see the most successful lawyers are very often "forensic", which is often a synonym for "pretty dry". There are a few entertainers for sure, but there's no massive correlation between that and results.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

KSIDIPM

I wouldn't go as far as actually making that prediction.

Just pointing out that dull isn't always electoral poison. A certain John Major did pretty well in one election, too.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Numerous European devs have left the company I work for due to Brexit.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Can we PLEASE move on from the all-too-easy teasing of angry, jumpng-up-and-down intellectual midgets like Topping? It is unedifying. OK, so he’s not the shapeliest dildo in his wife’s bedside drawer. It’s not his fault,

Instead we should be focusing on the good news. Because this really is good news for Britain. London is shrugging off Brexit.

“Saul Klein, a partner at investment firm LocalGlobe and a co-founder of Lovefilm, sees the rise of technology in the UK as akin to an unstoppable force.

“The secular wave of technology is so huge that it's beyond Brexit,” he says. “If you look at the numbers, since we knew that the country had voted to leave in 2016, every year since then has been a record: More money has gone into the sector, more jobs have been created.”

Rob Kniaz, a partner at Deliveroo and Babylon backer Hoxton Ventures, is equally upbeat.

“There’s a bit of an echo chamber among the Twittering classes about the UK being in a doom spiral,” he says in a phone call from Kiev. “It's pleasant to see that the reality is actually not that and despite the naysayers, things are booming.”“

The gloomsters were wrong. That is a good thing. But this is only London. The rest of the country may be very different....

Goodnight!

Don't run away. It is great news that Hoxton Ventures is upbeat. Hoxton Ventures - precisely the demographic that might be affected negatively by Brexit.

And yes, that was a joke.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Lol

That was very funny.
    Once upon a time.
    If you want to tell my wife she's fat, be my guest....
    Perish the thought. And no doubt she'd be horrified by that suggestion.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

KSIDIPM

I wouldn't go as far as actually making that prediction.

Just pointing out that dull isn't always electoral poison. A certain John Major did pretty well in one election, too.
    Keith Starmer: he aspires to be the next John Major.

Any ad execs fancy selling that?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    For my fellow gamers: FFVII has been pushed back. It's now going up against Cyberpunk 2077. A month later, I think, The Last of Us Part II comes out.

That's quite the purple patch.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Goodnight!

Don't run away. It is great news that Hoxton Ventures is upbeat. Hoxton Ventures - precisely the demographic that might be affected negatively by Brexit.

And yes, that was a joke.
    Hoxton Ventures, sounds like an Anna Span movie.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Quincel said:

Wow, makes Kimiko Date-Krumm look like she retired early!

I saw her play Serena Williams in her comeback at a grand slam. She lost, but was really close to winning. Playing from a different era threw Williams off completely, especially in the first set!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimiko_Date
    Talking about a different era in sports, I thought this was a fascinating example of how sport has changed thanks to data analytics. Basically as soon as data scientists had access to shot data, it became clear that the whole base strategy of every team in the NBA was wrong (too many mid range shots, when far superior statistically to attempt 3-point shots even though you miss more in raw % terms).

https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1217109175894831105?s=20

Football is behind the curve on this, but catching up fast now. I think in 10 years we will think how shit most teams tactics for the vast majority of the history of the game.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

You utter, utter cretin.

Numerous European devs have left the company I work for due to Brexit.
    Like everything else, it's complicated. There are plenty of businesses (some manufacturing included) for whom Brexit probably just isn't much of an issue at all.
    And some for whom it really is.

The economy overall is hardly motoring at the moment, so overall, the jury is still out.

And in any event, I'm not sure how many of the winners will ascribe any responsibility to the government for their good performance - and reasonably sure that any losers will blame them.
This discussion has been closed.