Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My 123/1 LD leadership bet

Comments

• Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

This story is rumbling along in the background away from the pathetic row about bells:

https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsMEN/status/1217934926852567040

It did seem strange that the promised big response to Rotherham never materialized. The refusal of the government to tackle this issue was bound to lead to another similar scandal. And the media conspiracy of silence continues... left to a regional paper to push it.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,587
    sarissa said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Byronic said:

IshmaelZ said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You seem a bit obsessed with following remainers on twitter. Perhaps time to give yourself a time out.

Well Byronic voted Remain, so it is understandable he follows his fellow Remainers on twitter.
    That is true - I was put in mind of those preachers who excoriate homosexual activity only for it to turn out that they are indeed and inevitably homosexual themselves.
    There is nothing I regret more than that Remain vote.

I should have seen the bigger picture. I envy those who had the courage, class and piercing intelligence to vote Leave: they saw the world with greater clarity than I.

Respect where it's due, therefore, for people like SeanT. You often accuse me of being him, but this is just one example of how he is a much nobler and smarter human being than me, or indeed anyone else on here, or maybe anyone else in western Europe.

All I can do now is say Sorry, Britain, and work to make the country better, as we break free.
    Thwarted Remainers are twats, agreed, but so are triumphant leavers. Neither fact affects the merits of the vote, any more than No Surrender to the IRA is an adequate response to the Irish issue.
    This will rise to a peak on 11pm Jan 31. Hardcore Remainers are probably best advised to abstain from social media. or indeed social intercourse, until that day is past.

And then - to be serious - on Feb 1 we need to reunite as a country. It won't be easy. After all this bitterness (on both sides). But it is our only hope.

And naturally Remainers are entitled to start the campaign to Rejoin, and if they do so, then good luck to them. Going on past examples it should take them about five decades.
    The Remain/Rejoin campaign next time could not be worse than the last one. If they think Brexit is a disaster they only have to look at their campaign for the reason.

Peak Leaver: a Leaver blaming Remainers for the dreadful decision that they advocated.
    Peak Leaver has been somewhat overused. Characteristic would be closer to the mark.

‘Peak’ comes at the end of the month. After that, it turns into meeting expectations.
    Followed six months later by ‘Hiding’
    I don’t think that gets meted out until the next election, if then....
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082

Yes, but that is looking at it the wrong way round. The mystery isn't that voters were put off by Corbyn's IRA sympathies in 2019, it is that they weren't in 2017. Part of what happened was simply that the Conservative 2017 campaign was so abysmal that Corbyn and McDonnell got a virtually free ride, which was less the case in 2019. I suspect that there were two reasons why voters wised up in 2019: firstly the anti-Semitism scandal in Labour made them look again at Corbyn, and secondly the Conservatives probably did do some good targeted campaigning on social media.

Surely the turning point was Salisbury. Up to then you could believe that Corbyn had perhaps reformed his opinions ( if you wanted to).

Then a foreign state conducted an assassination attempt on british soil where eventually unrelated british person died. Corbyn’s response was to disbelieve the evidence from UK security services, and to say that this evidence should be provided to Russia so that they had a right of reply.

If you think this proposal went down well in the red wall then I disagree, it is the type of Islington / metropolitan view that goes down well with left wing intellectuals.
    Perhaps. I do also think we tend to miss an important point about 2017 when we blame the dementia tax or the Maybot, which is the two terrorist attacks during the election campaign: the Manchester Arena bomb and the London Bridge van attack and stabbings. A visitor from Mars would say these should have boosted the Conservative vote (law and order) and diminished Labour (friends of terrorists) except that it made police cuts -- Tory cuts; Home Secretary Theresa May's cuts -- a central issue.

CCHQ noticed, which is why Boris shot that fox by promising not just more police but 20,000 more: the same number Theresa May had cut. No coincidence.
    Johnson managed to run against the government that he had been a central figure in. Quite some chutzpah, but not necessarily repeatable.

The NHS is looking even more ramshackle than normal, some grim stuff at work. Chucking money at it will help, but the biggest problem is staffing. I am at another leaving do next week as one of my colleagues heads back to the Med.
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

Actually, I have just found one FBPE type on Twitter who was genuinely threatening Brexit-related-suicide last night.

Apparently the police got to him and he is OK. And possibly he is an unstable type anyway, but wow.

I wonder what Brexit Day itself will be like. Perhaps we underestimate what a wrench and a trauma it will be, for some, whereas for others it will be a gleeful triumph.

I may just quietly drink through it.

Do you get off on delusions of your own superiority?
    Jesus.
    You really are misconstruing me.

So I did some research into Remainer attitudes on Brexit, as the fateful day approaches. Twitter is probably the best place to do this, as that's where they gather, and vent

At first - as I confessed - I was rather guiltily amused by their anger and whining, which are histrionic in the extreme, but of a piece with their hysterical loathing of racist Leavers.

Then I was fascinated by their inability - even now -to grasp what Brexit was and is, and why it happened, and why some people might feel about English democracy and British freedom the way THEY feel about their European identity. How can they not see this?

However, as I also said, I have now encountered genuine psychological distress, not just Remoaning. Some people have been badly destabilised by Brexit and I fear for them come the Day.

This saddens me. I might find Remainers a bit laughable but they are still my fellow Brits and fellow humans. It's also bad for the country to be so bitterly at odds.

I shall NOT be loudly and publicly celebrating on January 31. Too many of my compatriots are grieving and scared.

Gabs3 said:

This story is rumbling along in the background away from the pathetic row about bells:

It did seem strange that the promised big response to Rotherham never materialized. The refusal of the government to tackle this issue was bound to lead to another similar scandal. And the media conspiracy of silence continues... left to a regional paper to push it.
    It is an enormous story. In some ways it is worse and bigger than Rotherham.
  • nova said:

I'm not sure these people have the point they think they have.
    I assume you mean that if you're looking for conspiracy theories amongst Labour supporters, then there are far better ones? I which case I'd agree.

Regarding the IRA/Corbyn link: Isn't the theory that Corbyn's IRA sympathies (despite being fairly obvious) hadn't really made much of an impact until this election. I remember reading an article (maybe the New Statesman) saying a lot of people were surprised when Boris brought up the IRA in a leaders debate.

But then you had Labour canvassers saying it was being mentioned more and more on the doorstep, and it appears to have been heavily pushed in targeted social media advertising/groups. Not exactly dark web, but a sign that a political party can now target sympathetic groups "under the radar", which makes rebuttal a lot harder.
    Yes, but that is looking at it the wrong way round. The mystery isn't that voters were put off by Corbyn's IRA sympathies in 2019, it is that they weren't in 2017. Part of what happened was simply that the Conservative 2017 campaign was so abysmal that Corbyn and McDonnell got a virtually free ride, which was less the case in 2019. I suspect that there were two reasons why voters wised up in 2019: firstly the anti-Semitism scandal in Labour made them look again at Corbyn, and secondly the Conservatives probably did do some good targeted campaigning on social media.
    Surely the turning point was Salisbury. Up to then you could believe that Corbyn had perhaps reformed his opinions ( if you wanted to).

Then a foreign state conducted an assassination attempt on british soil where eventually unrelated british person died. Corbyn’s response was to disbelieve the evidence from UK security services, and to say that this evidence should be provided to Russia so that they had a right of reply.

If you think this proposal went down well in the red wall then I disagree, it is the type of Islington / metropolitan view that goes down well with left wing intellectuals.
    Salisbury showed that his well-held opinions and positions did still affect modern Britain.

For all that the 2017 smears were undoubtedly correct, they did a poor job of showing why a life time of such associations would have an effect. It took events to link A to B.

Also, don't rule out "present but not involved". The single most FATAL thing in British politics is people laughing at you.
    FF43 said:

An interesting thought in this thread:

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1218078898010890241

The EU is definitely losing a member, so not quite intact. However, with 27 other members it can be somewhat sanguine about losses compared with the loss to the United Kingdom of just one nation, which could be fatal.

If you think the European Union will outlive the United Kingdom, it is rational to prioritise the relationship with it.

The EU is definitely losing 13% of its population and 13% of its GDP. Even if both Northern Ireland and Scotland left, it would be losing 11% of its population and 9% of its GDP.

The EU has been a denial about how much of a disaster Brexit is for them. They need to help us Rejoin as fast as possible.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,785
    edited January 2020

Yes you are right, Salisbury was probably one of the key points. Of course his stance on this was nothing new, but it was widely noticed.
    I think by 2019, there has been much more time for his leadership style to play out. He acted in a certain way, and always looked like a horse being dragged to water. And that style pervaded on all the things he did - it sewed together the Brexit stance and anti-Semitism, the Salisbury response and the Tunisian graveyard. It was exactly as he behaved during the Brexit referendum, but there he wasn't the main event.

Whether you took this simply as his being a weak indecisive leader or a much more malign passive resistive demonstration of his real views, there was little scope for this reflecting well on him.

I'm another one who doesn't think Labour's Brexit stances were that bad, it was more how they came about than what came about that irked, and how that sense of drift/resistance was everywhere to be seen.
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    edited January 2020

If you think this went down well in the red wall then I disagree, it is the type of Islington / metropolitan view that goes down well with left wing intellectuals.

Yes you are right, Salisbury was probably one of the key points. Of course his stance on this was nothing new, but it was widely noticed.
    The other was the policies. People liked them we are told, but people vote for a Government that is someone who can manage what they are promising.

I can give my boys the argos catalogue before Christmas and get them to mark up what they like - I made this mistake and they ‘chose’ about a hundred things that would have cost me thousands. These toys were popular but you only found out what was really popular when they were given a limit. I.e. present from Grandma up to 50 pounds. You then get a totally different answer.

Labour took the lesson from 2017 that you can promise what you want it won’t really get scrutinised and people love free stuff and will vote for you.

I think the lesson from 2017 was much more nuanced
    - Theresa May was crap at campaigning
    - If people didn’t think Labour would win then they would vote for them as a no brexit proxy
    - More generally if you are not expected to win then you will be much less scrutinised across all issues
    - British people like to believe the best in people and will give them a chance if they have no direct contrary evidence
    - in general people like to vote for a positive message and a programme for government

That basically explains labours campaign and why they failed - they thought by promising more than in 2017 it would be more popular.

The campaign failed due to better opposition, more scrutiny as there could be a late surge like last time, Brexit issue now being clearer yet labour position less clear, Corbyn had been proved by Salisbury and anti-semitism to be not as good as he had seemed and generally they had no positive message and no programme for government.

What I want to hear from a leadership contender is what they would focus on. This is so difficult for a left wing politician as many issues deserve more funding and attention, but these are limited. I still think Labour could win next time but they would need to focus on the above and take the advantage that next time offers - Boris will have lost his sheen, won’t be expected to win, able to put forward a positive vision and realistic programme for government.

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Actually, I have just found one FBPE type on Twitter who was genuinely threatening Brexit-related-suicide last night.

Apparently the police got to him and he is OK. And possibly he is an unstable type anyway, but wow.

I wonder what Brexit Day itself will be like. Perhaps we underestimate what a wrench and a trauma it will be, for some, whereas for others it will be a gleeful triumph.

Jesus.

So I did some research into Remainer attitudes on Brexit, as the fateful day approaches. Twitter is probably the best place to do this, as that's where they gather, and vent

At first - as I confessed - I was rather guiltily amused by their anger and whining, which are histrionic in the extreme, but of a piece with their hysterical loathing of racist Leavers.

Then I was fascinated by their inability - even now -to grasp what Brexit was and is, and why it happened, and why some people might feel about English democracy and British freedom the way THEY feel about their European identity. How can they not see this?

However, as I also said, I have now encountered genuine psychological distress, not just Remoaning. Some people have been badly destabilised by Brexit and I fear for them come the Day.

This saddens me. I might find Remainers a bit laughable but they are still my fellow Brits and fellow humans. It's also bad for the country to be so bitterly at odds.

I shall NOT be loudly and publicly celebrating on January 31. Too many of my compatriots are grieving and scared.

Tell me please what percentage of twitter comprises moany Remainers? Once we have that then we can look at the rest of your statements about it being full of remainers vs, say, right wing nutjobs (stats for those as well pls), to see if they are reasonable.

Of course it would save us a lot of time to jump to the inevitable you're a fucking moron conclusion but I am happy to go through the workings to get there step by step.
    Byronic said:

Gabs3 said:

It is an enormous story. In some ways it is worse and bigger than Rotherham.
    So what is going to happen about it? Paedophilia rings are like assassinations by the Russians on British soil. Lots of politicians talk a good game over it but there is never any follow up actions. Like the Kremlin, the vast majority of those responsible face no real consequence. While the victims will be grieving forever.
  • Gabs3 said:

FF43 said:

The EU is definitely losing a member, so not quite intact. However, with 27 other members it can be somewhat sanguine about losses compared with the loss to the United Kingdom of just one nation, which could be fatal.

If you think the European Union will outlive the United Kingdom, it is rational to prioritise the relationship with it.

The EU is definitely losing 13% of its population and 13% of its GDP. Even if both Northern Ireland and Scotland left, it would be losing 11% of its population and 9% of its GDP.

The EU has been a denial about how much of a disaster Brexit is for them. They need to help us Rejoin as fast as possible.
    The question of EU membership will deminish as the years pass as we forge our own way and trading relationships. At this moment the sense of loss to those who want to remain is at a very high level but as in the case of change society adapts to the change and moves on

I would say that it is very possible that in 5 years we will have carved a successful pathway in our worldwide trading relationships that could see EU businesses opening their operations in the UK to benefit from a beneficial trading relationship outside Europe

Many who want to remain actively want leaving to fail but I am not at all sure they will see their hopes prevail

As far as 31st January is concerned I have no desire to upset remainers and see no need to provoke a reaction by the chiming of Big Ben but individual celebrations and Farage's party outside the Houses of Parliament seem entirely reasonable
    Gabs3 said:

FF43 said:

It's much much worse for the EU than just losing a chunk of GDP, people and geography. It's not like it is losing Poland plus Hungary with a bit of Finland.

This is the UK leaving. The EU's second biggest economy, its equal biggest military, and its foremost soft power. It is the world's oldest big democracy, the home of parliamentary freedom, a cradle of human rights, the victor of world war 2, the centre of the Commonwealth and one of five members of the UNSC

It is the home to nearly all of of the EU's best universities, much of the EU's top research and science, the home of the English language - the world language. The UK is the centre of Europe's best new tech. It is also the EU's financial hub, its lawyering capital, its biggest art market, the main capital of world sport, the site of the EU's only true world city, and the biggest cultural exporter in the EU.

Shakespeare and the industrial revolution, the Beatles and the World Wide Web, Viagra and Prince Harry (for now).

Brexit is a monumental blow to the EU and to the perceived inevitability of The Project. It is a Wagnerian failure of statecraft that they ever let it get to this tragic stage, and didn't offer the fool Cameron enough to let him win his vote.

The EU won't notice the impact of this immense blow for some time. But when it hits, the pain and damage will be grievous indeed.

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Jesus.

Tell me please what percentage of twitter comprises moany Remainers? Once we have that then we can look at the rest of your statements about it being full of remainers vs, say, right wing nutjobs (stats for those as well pls), to see if they are reasonable.

Of course it would save us a lot of time to jump to the inevitable you're a fucking moron conclusion but I am happy to go through the workings to get there step by step.
    Go and wank yer near imperceptible penis.
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Jesus.

So to the numbers. Can you first let us know what percentage of twitter is moany remainers. Once we have that information we can proceed from there. By all means do the whole imperceptible penis thing in the meantime, more than welcome, but we are trying to thrash out some answers about your claim regarding twitter and remainers.

So the numbers, please.
  • Byronic said:

Can you number the times that you've drunk quietly through anything?
  • The BBC are doing a poll on England's greatest overseas Test win.

Can anyone explain how Barbados 1994 or Melbourne 1998 are options but the Boycott / Greig victory in Trinidad 1974 isn't ?

Barbados 1994 was probably England's greatest recovery having being bowled out for 46 the previous match.
    But wasn't the series already lost by Barbados 1994 ?

Whereas the win in Trinidad 1974 levelled the series.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,856
    edited January 2020

I thought Trump was pretty popular in USA....

They love him, don't they? Incroyable. But lay at 1.87 is IMO fantastic value.

But OK, if you don't like that one, here's another -

Back Man City for the Champions League at 5.2.

Them and Liverpool are far and away the 2 best teams in Europe right now. Last season they both won what they didn't really want and lost what they were desperate for. This season they have subconsciously done a deal to swap it around. Liverpool the title - that's done - and Man City the CL. The latter is not yet done but if I'm correct in my analysis it just about is, so at 5.2, Fill Your Boots.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Gabs3 said:

FF43 said:

The question of EU membership will deminish as the years pass as we forge our own way and trading relationships. At this moment the sense of loss to those who want to remain is at a very high level but as in the case of change society adapts to the change and moves on

I would say that it is very possible that in 5 years we will have carved a successful pathway in our worldwide trading relationships that could see EU businesses opening their operations in the UK to benefit from a beneficial trading relationship outside Europe

Many who want to remain actively want leaving to fail but I am not at all sure they will see their hopes prevail

As far as 31st January is concerned I have no desire to upset remainers and see no need to provoke a reaction by the chiming of Big Ben but individual celebrations and Farage's party outside the Houses of Parliament seem entirely reasonable
    The failure of the Leavers to set out a positive vision of the future is striking. There is nothing to get behind.

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Jesus.

So I did sscared.

So to the numbers. Can you first let us know what percentage of twitter is moany remainers. Once we have that information we can proceed from there. By all means do the whole imperceptible penis thing in the meantime, more than welcome, but we are trying to thrash out some answers about your claim regarding twitter and remainers.

So the numbers, please.
    Surely.

Here's a rough reckoning. By taking random Brexity related words - Brexit, Farage, Deal, Brussels, MEP, Strasbourg, A50 etc etc - and typing them into the Twitter searchbar, and seeing who comes up, you get a pretty good impression of the balance between Leave and Remain commenters.

And it is is 20 to 1 in favour of the sad, whining, stupid, boring Remainers like you. For every one smart Leaver like me, there are 20 tedious fucking Remoany wankers like you.

YES. It is that bad! I advise you not to try it, as it might feel like you are talking to 20 versions of you, which would upset anyone

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,718
    edited January 2020
    kinabalu said:

I thought Trump was pretty popular in USA....

They love him, don't they? Incroyable. But lay at 1.87 is IMO fantastic value.

But OK, if you don't like that one, here's another -

Back Man City for the Champions League at 5.2.

Them and Liverpool are far and away the 2 best teams in Europe right now. Last season they both won what they didn't really want and lost what they were desperate for. This season they have subconsciously done a deal to swap it around. Liverpool the title - that's done - and Man City the CL. That's not yet done but if I'm right in my analysis it just about is, so at 5.2, Fill Your Boots.
    About 45% of Americans love Trump, about 45% hate Trump, it is the 10% in the middle who will decide the election. However George W Bush in 2004 and Obama in 2012 were re elected with similar divides
  • Foxy said:

Perhaps. I do also think we tend to miss an important point about 2017 when we blame the dementia tax or the Maybot, which is the two terrorist attacks during the election campaign: the Manchester Arena bomb and the London Bridge van attack and stabbings. A visitor from Mars would say these should have boosted the Conservative vote (law and order) and diminished Labour (friends of terrorists) except that it made police cuts -- Tory cuts; Home Secretary Theresa May's cuts -- a central issue.

CCHQ noticed, which is why Boris shot that fox by promising not just more police but 20,000 more: the same number Theresa May had cut. No coincidence.
    Johnson managed to run against the government that he had been a central figure in. Quite some chutzpah, but not necessarily repeatable.

The NHS is looking even more ramshackle than normal, some grim stuff at work. Chucking money at it will help, but the biggest problem is staffing. I am at another leaving do next week as one of my colleagues heads back to the Med.
    This is something I'm genuinely curious about.

NHS employment peaked at 1.337m in 2010q1, fell to 1.293m in 2012q2 and then increased to 1.498m in 2019q3.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/publicsectorpersonnel/timeseries/g7gl/pse
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667

Foxy said:

On topic: I got £3 on at 143. Seemed to be worth a punt, but I've no idea whether she has any chance or not. Maybe she does - the LibDems seem to have a strange urge to trash even further the only actual success they have had in the last half-century or more, and Ed Davey is 'tainted' with that success.

I wonder if Davey will apologise to Andrew Neil for his involvement in the Coalition with the same fulsome mea culpa as Jo Swinson.....
    I don't think so. He was quite robust in defending his actions in coalition at the LD hustings, and it didn't do him any harm. Jo was quite happy to speak up for her role in it too.

It became more of an issue in the GE with Labour/LD swing voters and tactical voters.

Compared with the fiasco of the post 2015 Tory government it will be looked back on positively as a golden period.
    Davey's problem is that economically he has positioned himself somewhere to the right of Boris. How does that appeal to LibDem members, let alone the wider electorate?
    It is surely impossible for anybody to position himself anywhere in relation to Boris. Boris is all over the place, and he doesn´t mean anything of what he says.
    edited January 2020
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

Jesus.

So I did sscared.

So the numbers, please.
    Surely.

Here's a rough reckoning. By taking random Brexity related words - Brexit, Farage, Deal, Brussels, MEP, Strasbourg, A50 etc etc - and typing them into the Twitter searchbar, and seeing who comes up, you get a pretty good impression of the balance between Leave and Remain commenters.

And it is is 20 to 1 in favour of the sad, whining, stupid, boring Remainers like you. For every one smart Leaver like me, there are 20 tedious fucking Remoany wankers like you.

YES. It is that bad! I advise you not to try it, as it might feel like you are talking to 20 versions of you, which would upset anyone

Not sufficiently rigorous. Plus don't forget you are a remainer as evidenced by the only tangible action that any of us took to demonstrate our views one way or another. As, for example, is @HYUFD. You both think that the UK is better off in the EU than out of it.

You eyeballing 20:1 remainers vs leavers doesn't cut it. Plus that wasn't what I asked. I asked how much of twitter comprises said remainers. And how much of twitter comprises right wing nutjobs of the type that you don't look at. Then we can start to do some analysis of it all.
  • HYUFD said:
    Hang on, I'm confused. Why will he be celebrating when it's 'not really Brexit'?

Foxy said:

On topic: I got £3 on at 143. Seemed to be worth a punt, but I've no idea whether she has any chance or not. Maybe she does - the LibDems seem to have a strange urge to trash even further the only actual success they have had in the last half-century or more, and Ed Davey is 'tainted' with that success.

I wonder if Davey will apologise to Andrew Neil for his involvement in the Coalition with the same fulsome mea culpa as Jo Swinson.....
    I don't think so. He was quite robust in defending his actions in coalition at the LD hustings, and it didn't do him any harm. Jo was quite happy to speak up for her role in it too.

It became more of an issue in the GE with Labour/LD swing voters and tactical voters.

Compared with the fiasco of the post 2015 Tory government it will be looked back on positively as a golden period.
    Davey's problem is that economically he has positioned himself somewhere to the right of Boris. How does that appeal to LibDem members, let alone the wider electorate?
    The top 20 LD target seats for the next general election include the likes of Esher and Walton, Guildford, Wimbledon, Cities of London and Westminster, Cheltenham, Wokingham and Surrey South West.

All fiscally conservative but anti Brexit, that is why

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/liberal-democrat
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

HYUFD said:
    Hang on, I'm confused. Why will he be celebrating when it's 'not really Brexit'?
    Quite.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Bailiffs to visit Unite on Monday.

https://twitter.com/annaturley/status/1218147925689360385

Popcorn on order.
  • dr_spyn said:

Popcorn on order.

That is a ridiculous letter to send, which has clearly been written for the benefit Ms Turley's twitter feed.
    edited January 2020

GIN1138 said:

Anyone see Question Time last night? I didn't see it but Twitter lefties are in complete uproar over Laurence Fox's appearance?

Wondering if its worth a watch? :D

He called Corbyn magic grandpa!
    Guido and co certainly enjoyed it

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1218090768574963713?s=20
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

dr_spyn said:

Popcorn on order.

That is a ridiculous letter to send, which has clearly been written for the benefit Ms Turley's twitter feed.
    What is ridiculous about it?
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    HYUFD said:
    None of this is really relevant. “Brexit” was an abstract concept. It now becomes real.

How the future Labour leadership handles this is the key to the next election.
    Byronic said:

Nothing worse than being misconstrued.

Now I can speak only for myself but I got all my grieving done and dusted on 24th June 2016. For all the shenanigans of the last 42 months I never for a second truly believed that it was either possible or desirable to set aside the result of such a monumental exercise as that wretched EU Referendum.

As to my attitude on "Brexit Day" it's going to be neutral to positive. I recognize that millions of people in this country - perhaps as many as 17m - are going to feel that little bit more empowered and 'sovereign' as they go about their daily business from 1st Feb 2020 onwards and I have no intention of being churlish about that. I might not feel it but it's real to them. Which means it's real. And you never know, perhaps I will pick up just a smidgen of it myself. Some of it might "rub off" as it were and I'm certainly open to that.
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:
    My God. The bathos in that.

One of the saddest little tweets of the week.

EVERYTHING about it is sad. The tiny little crowd. The carpet. The two weirdly big bottles of water. Dominic Grieve's face. Dominic Grieve. The sickly lighting. Ken looking old and defeated. The low ceiling. The empty chairs in a miniature space.

And where the hell is it? In a basement of some Premier Inn off the M6?

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

They won the argument.
  • IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Popcorn on order.

The essential points are correct.

Several parts are disingenuous ("whatever that means")

The rhetoric language masks the point in others ("falls on deaf ears")

It neglects reference to the terms of the Orders, or to seeking additional costs.

They even choose to spell 'judgement' with two 'e's.

Don't get me wrong - I have written letters like this - but only on the client's explicit instructions.

Otherwise you should be writing something you would be happy with a judge reading out in Court.
  • HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Anyone see Question Time last night? I didn't see it but Twitter lefties are in complete uproar over Laurence Fox's appearance?

I'm surprise that you righties want to take ownership of someone so obviously a dimwit.

Actually, now I come to think of it...

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I'm surprise that you righties want to take ownership of someone so obviously a dimwit.

For an actor he is actually quite bright, Harrow and RADA
  • HYUFD said:
    Didn't Ken vote against A50 but for May's Deal ?

Whereas Grieve did the opposite.

Perhaps they could discuss who made the right choices.
    edited January 2020
    Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

EVERYTHING about it is sad. The tiny little crowd. The carpet. The two weirdly big bottles of water. Dominic Grieve's face. Dominic Grieve. The sickly lighting. Ken looking old and defeated. The low ceiling. The empty chairs in a miniature space.

Yes, not exactly standing room only is it and they could not even get a serving MP to chair. I suspect half of them will be in the LDs by Christmas anyway
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

For an actor he is actually quite bright, Harrow and RADA
    You have to be bright to go to Harrow and RADA?

Every day a school day.
    Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

I am struck by how old and male the crowd is, even by Tory standards.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    dr_spyn said:

Popcorn on order.

Only on order?

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Some killing lines in there, esp. on celebs' air travel.

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Popcorn on order.

It neglects reference to the terms of the Orders, or to seeking additional costs.

Don't get me wrong - I have written letters like this - but only on the client's explicit instructions.

Otherwise you should be writing something you would be happy with a judge reading out in Court.
    Judgement is a legitimate spelling, there is nothing disingenuous or ambiguous about the letter, and I can see a case for writing the letter in such a way as to prompt your hypothetical judge to notice that the circumstances warrant a degree of tetchiness.

HYUFD said:
    I have been saying this for the last month!
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

On this we can agree. Lozza comes across very well. Sharp, witty, eloquent.

I am slightly distracted by all the tatts on his arms and hands. Must have been quite the rebel. He is presumably a member of the famous Fox acting dynasty?
    edited January 2020
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I am slightly distracted by all the tatts on his arms and hands. Must have been quite the rebel. He is presumably a member of the famous Fox acting dynasty?
    Yes, his dad is James Fox and his uncle is Edward Fox and his sister is Lydia Fox and his cousin is Freddie Fox

Guido is highlighting a YouGov survey that focused on labour switchers and why they switched. it was Brexit, but they also like Boris.

Accords with my sense of things. "Boris" has blue collar appeal and I think this ought to be more recognized. There is no reason to be massively surprised by this either. The working class are famous for liking things that are bad for them. Beer, fags, fatty food, gambling, junk TV - we can now add "Boris" to what is quite a lengthy list.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

HYUFD said:
    Didn't Ken vote against A50 but for May's Deal ?

Whereas Grieve did the opposite.

Perhaps they could discuss who made the right choices.
    This isn't even hard, it's clearly Ken.
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

dr_spyn said:

Popcorn on order.

Judgement is a legitimate spelling, there is nothing disingenuous or ambiguous about the letter, and I can see a case for writing the letter in such a way as to prompt your hypothetical judge to notice that the circumstances warrant a degree of tetchiness.
    It has been written for a Twitter audience, and not a judicial one.

That is a legitimate strategy to put pressure on Unite and I am sure that Ms Turley is very happy with it.

However the result is a letter which would be highly unusual in any other legal context.
    Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Cousins

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1218151838656204801
    Gabs3 said:

HYUFD said:
    I have been saying this for the last month!
    Nigel Farage will finally be irrelevant on Feb 1, 2020

Surely THAT is an upside to Brexit we can ALL agree on?

Like him or loathe him, Farage has had a remarkable influence on British politics. But he is now outstaying his *welcome*. Time for him to shuffle into a glorious retirement, in Trump's America or somewhere.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes, his dad is James Fox and his uncle is Edward Fox and his sister is Lydia Fox and his cousin is Freddie Fox
    I can see why he'd be so resentful of being described as a privileged white male who's had his career handed to him on a plate.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kinabalu said:

Guido is highlighting a YouGov survey that focused on labour switchers and why they switched. it was Brexit, but they also like Boris.

Accords with my sense of things. "Boris" has blue collar appeal and I think this ought to be more recognized. There is no reason to be massively surprised by this either. The working class are famous for liking things that are bad for them. Beer, fags, fatty food, gambling, junk TV - we can now add "Boris" to what is quite a lengthy list.
    ''The working class are famous for liking things that are bad for them'''

Do you realise how arrogant and condescending that sounds??? No wonder labour are getting hammered in their own backyards.

Alan B'stard could have said it.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:
    Didn't we just have a thread saying the complete opposite, where any dissenter was scorned?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Just an average day at Chez "T" then! :D
    TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Cousins

How juvenile.
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

What gets me about the Harry and Meghan thing is this: there was stacks of talk after appalling Andrew's appalling interview about Chas and baldy wanting to slim the Royal Family down to effectively the direct succession. It would have been soooo easy with just a bit of intelligent collusion for H and M to have pretty much what they want, imposed on them as an ostensibly unwanted but understandable demotion, with a grateful nation feeling deepest sympathy and agreeing that their physical security was a non-negotiable priority for ever, no matter what the cost, and to get rid of that hog Andrew simultaneously. We expect the RF to be thick, but can they not pay people to make up the difference?

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I can see why he'd be so resentful of being described as a privileged white male who's had his career handed to him on a plate.
    He went to RADA, the Oxbridge of acting

Foxy said:

Perhaps. I do also think we tend to

This is something I'm genuinely curious about.

NHS employment peaked at 1.337m in 2010q1, fell to 1.293m in 2012q2 and then increased to 1.498m in 2019q3.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/publicsectorpersonnel/timeseries/g7gl/pse
    Mostly it is the collapse of outsourcing companies such as Interserve, and the consequential bringing back portering, catering and cleaning back into the NHS. B6 and large the same people doing the same jobs but now in NHS rather than private employment.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I sense you genuflected while typing that.
    isam said:

HYUFD said:
    Didn't we just have a thread saying the complete opposite, where any dissenter was scorned?
    Quantifying point 4, and some intelligence in the use of hyphens/minus signs, would have been good.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Oxford or Oxford not. There is no Oxbridge.
    Gabs3 said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Cousins

How juvenile.
    He was asked on QT, he didn't give an "off pat" answer but said how he feels, shall we call that "naturally" and has been attacked by the left for it. The biggest irony for me was a discussion about racism with Shami Chakrabarti on the panel next to him. Of all people who should be ashamed of their actions over racism.
  • Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

What is sad about it is that there you have two very very intelligent men with masses of experience and yet gullible people like you chose to believe the likes of a thick dipshit like Mark Francois and a liar like Johnson, neither of whom are fit to lick Ken's boots.

Being in a minority does not make one wrong, it just means it will take longer to laugh at all the idiots who will, in time, pretend they never supported Brexit.

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

What is sad about it is that there you have two very very intelligent men with masses of experience and yet gullible people like you chose to believe the likes of a thick dipshit like Mark Francois and a liar like Johnson, neither of whom are fit to lick Ken's boots.

Being in a minority does not make one wrong, it just means it will take longer to laugh at all the idiots who will, in time, pretend they never supported Brexit.

Sweetheart, I have done many, many, many stupid things in my life. And I am happy to confess them. For example: I once tried to inhale Tippex, the typewriter correction fluid, in the hope it would get me high. I just got correction fluid up my nose.

However, amidst this myriad of very stupid things, I have never ever "believed Mark Francois"
    HYUFD said:

About 45% of Americans love Trump, about 45% hate Trump, it is the 10% in the middle who will decide the election. However George W Bush in 2004 and Obama in 2012 were re elected with similar divides

Yes, he truly is divisive. Only 10% not polarized. Terrible state of affairs. People draw parallels with our Brexit "war" but I don't think it's the same at all. I have a new and different way of looking at Brexit, in fact, which is as follows -

We are NOT divided into Remainers and Leavers. That is a false dichotomy. The real divide is within each and every one of us. By which I mean we all have some Remain and some Leave inside us. Each person has a Remain side and a Leave side and the battle between them constantly rages - or bubbles along at least - with one side or the other getting on top at different times.

Me, for example, I am on the whole and in most circumstances a pretty Remainy sort of person - certainly I like to think so and friends & family would vouch for me on this - but I do definitely have some Leave in there too. It's in my locker, so to speak, and there are times when despite all of my best intentions it comes spewing out.

And I think we are all like this, if we're honest. Even Lord Adonis. Even John Redwood.

''The working class are famous for liking things that are bad for them'''

Do you realise how arrogant and condescending that sounds??? No wonder labour are getting hammered in their own backyards.

Alan B'stard could have said it.

You don't sound very "contrarian".
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Gabs3 said:

TOPPING said:

Byronic said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Cousins

How juvenile.
    A TV celebrity pushing back intelligently and trenchantly against the woke dogma, on QT of all things? It's utterly delicious.

Perhaps the golden age of reason is finally returning. What a difference a landslide makes! :smile:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Sweetheart, I have done many, many, many stupid things in my life. And I am happy to confess them. For example: I once tried to inhale Tippex, the typewriter correction fluid, in the hope it would get me high. I just got correction fluid up my nose.

However, amidst this myriad of very stupid things, I have never ever "believed Mark Francois"
    Idiot! It's tippex *thinner* you want for that.
  • nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1218151838656204801
    edited January 2020
    isam said:

You and I are right on this. I wish we weren't but we are. Johnson is popular with the voters he needed. He won that election. It wasn't a gift.
    IshmaelZ said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

"You invented Tippex – correct me if I'm wrong."
    isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

"You invented Tippex – correct me if I'm wrong."
    Word association football.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    edited January 2020
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Believing Francois was the other account, silly. Nigel do try to keep up.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, he truly is divisive. Only 10% not polarized. Terrible state of affairs. People draw parallels with our Brexit "war" but I don't think it's the same at all. I have a new and different way of looking at Brexit, in fact, which is as follows -

We are NOT divided into Remainers and Leavers. That is a false dichotomy. The real divide is within each and every one of us. By which I mean we all have some Remain and some Leave inside us. Each person has a Remain side and a Leave side and the battle between them constantly rages - or bubbles along at least - with one side or the other getting on top at different times.

Me, for example, I am on the whole and in most circumstances a pretty Remainy sort of person - certainly I like to think so and friends & family would vouch for me on this - but I do definitely have some Leave in there too. It's in my locker, so to speak, and there are times when despite all of my best intentions it comes spewing out.

And I think we are all like this, if we're honest. Even Lord Adonis. Even John Redwood.
    An interesting analysis of why Remainers and Leavers have chosen their side in Bride Wars:

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/1217733056229933056?s=19
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Gabs, quite. Julia Hartley-Brewer's knee getting touched two decades ago got more coverage than the rape gang stories.
    IshmaelZ said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

I guess once you've got in habit of inhaling the white stuff... ?
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

An interesting analysis of why Remainers and Leavers have chosen their side in Bride Wars:

https://twitter.com/helenlewis/status/1217733056229933056?s=19
    Are The Atlantic & The Athletic anything to do with each other?
    I've never seen a declaration revoked before.
    And welcome back Mark Wood.
  • never seen a team undeclare before
  • It's so difficult to tell nowadays, is this a real tweet or a spoof from devious lefties besmirching the fine upstanding yeoman folk of Olde England?

https://twitter.com/alexandrabulat/status/1217820277725376513?s=20
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

That "magic grandpa" coment makes me think he might even read or post on PB, as it has probably been used here more than anywhere else.
    glw said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

That "magic grandpa" coment makes me think he might even read or post on PB, as it has probably been used here more than anywhere else.
    @Foxy ?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Only 499-9?

This has SA win written all over it
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

The Lib Dems. What a total mess.

Consider this brilliant graphic of the election. Lib Dems gained voters from all parties. Labour lost them to all parties.

https://twitter.com/ElectCalculus/status/1217786623087333378?s=19
    The key thing is the loss of 4 Labour Voters to DNV
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Isam, one suspect it isn't Dr. Foxy.

I watched Laurence Fox's appearance on Triggernometry, which I occasionally have a look at. Quite interesting (from memory, it was a little while ago).
    edited January 2020

Did not see it - although I can imagine and I bet I'm right - therefore I can only play the man not the ball.

What we have here is a scion of a premier league acting dynasty whose career highlight thus far at the age of 41 is that he played "Hathaway" - the sidekick of Sergeant Lewis - in a performance for which the word "wooden" would have had to be coined if it had not already been. Sergeant Lewis (the much loved Kevin Whately) was of course in turn the sidekick of the great John Thaw's iconic Inspector Morse.

The stooge of a stooge, in other words, and as I say that is as good as it gets. No surprise there are "issues" and a pressing need for a new career. Perhaps rampantly unPC rent-a-gob could be it.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,405
    kinabalu said:

Did not see it - although I can imagine and I bet I'm right - therefore I can only play the man not the ball.

What we have here is a scion of a premier league acting dynasty whose career highlight thus far at the age of 41 is that he played "Hathaway" - the sidekick of Sergeant Lewis - in a performance for which the word "wooden" would have had to be coined if it had not already been. Sergeant Lewis (the much loved Kevin Whately) was of course in turn the sidekick of the great John Thaw's iconic Inspector Morse.

The stooge of a stooge, in other words, and as I say that is as good as it gets. No surprise there are "issues" and a pressing need for a new career. Perhaps rampantly unPC rent-a-gob could be it.
    I think Hathaway is a great character. The only reason I watch the show. I don't care who has murdered who, I just want to learn about the complexities of Hathaway's personality.
  • NEW THREAD

• FF43FF43 Posts: 15,547
    Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

What's happened to the Conservative Party is quite sad. It's like a favourite, intelligent and lively aunt who has got dementia. This might be a brief heartbreaking moment of lucidity as she descends into mental oblivion.

I think Hathaway is a great character. The only reason I watch the show. I don't care who has murdered who, I just want to learn about the complexities of Hathaway's personality.

:smile::smile:
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Consider this brilliant graphic of the election. Lib Dems gained voters from all parties. Labour lost them to all parties.

Equally remainers and Leavers too.

It is a great graphic at showing the movements. It shows that it wasn't quite the disaster for LDs, or Triumph for Johnson that has been described. Mostly a catastrophe for Labour.
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Equally remainers and Leavers too.

It is a great graphic at showing the movements. It shows that it wasn't quite the disaster for LDs, or Triumph for Johnson that has been described. Mostly a catastrophe for Labour.
    Truly a catastrophe, because Scotland implies that once these voters leave Labour, they don't really come back
This discussion has been closed.