Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson/Cummings propose moving the House of Lords to York

12346»

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,991
    Scotland would be wise to be independent, as a cherished friend of England but no longer under Westminster’s control. Were it to do so, it would be looking at Ireland-style levels of rejoinism in a generation’s time (i.e. support for unionism post independence would be in the low teens/single figures).

Talks of Boris launching armoured pontoons across the Tweed are comedic insanity, even by HYUFD’s drunken Sunday arvo standards.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

And to amplify my earlier comments, King's College, Imperial College, London, UCL and Queen Mary should all be relocated from Central London.

I know plenty of academics from Imperial. There are all feckin miserable, as they have to live miles and miles away from Kensington, and travel a gruelling & horrible commute.

No member of the faculty can afford to live anywhere near Kensington (or the Strand or Bloomsbury for that matter).

If you want to increase the sum of human misery, locate an organisation in London ... so your staff have a miserable journey on overpacked public transport from some dire & expensive rental on the outskirts.

If you want to increase the sum of human happiness, move the organisation out of London ... & make your staff happy.

Sir, with an attitude like that you are neither Samuel nor Boris Johnson!
    Dr Johnson was wrong.

He who is tired of London, is tired of living in an overpriced shitheap and has rather come to his senses.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    This thread has been dispatched to York
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,991
    ydoethur said:

And to amplify my earlier comments, King's College, Imperial College, London, UCL and Queen Mary should all be relocated from Central London.

I know plenty of academics from Imperial. There are all feckin miserable, as they have to live miles and miles away from Kensington, and travel a gruelling & horrible commute.

No member of the faculty can afford to live anywhere near Kensington (or the Strand or Bloomsbury for that matter).

If you want to increase the sum of human misery, locate an organisation in London ... so your staff have a miserable journey on overpacked public transport from some dire & expensive rental on the outskirts.

If you want to increase the sum of human happiness, move the organisation out of London ... & make your staff happy.

Sir, with an attitude like that you are neither Samuel nor Boris Johnson!
    Dr Johnson was wrong.

He who is tired of London, is tired of living in an overpriced shitheap and has rather come to his senses.
    London is greatest city in the world.

The PB Provincials’ endless desperation to do it down is pathetic.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

And to amplify my earlier comments, King's College, London, Imperial College, London, UCL and Queen Mary should all be relocated from Central London.

Students are not going to see St Mary Mead as an acceptable substitute for London. Faculty members who dislike London have plenty of alternatives elsewhere.
    The interests of the staff (cleaners, catering staff, lecturers, professors) -- who in general are at these organisations for many years -- seem to me to be more important than the interests of the students (who are temporary).

And in any case, I don't believe that you speak for students. Especially as you went to Durham, a bit bigger than St Mary Mead, but considerably smaller than London.

There are many, many very highly successful universities in small towns -- Princeton, Yale, Gottingen, Tubingen, Durham, St Andrews, Leiden, Utrecht.

It is characteristically ridiculous of you to suggest the choice is London or St Mary Mead.
    Britain's greatest university is of course in the third(?) smallest university town.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

And to amplify my earlier comments, King's College, London, Imperial College, London, UCL and Queen Mary should all be relocated from Central London.

Students are not going to see St Mary Mead as an acceptable substitute for London. Faculty members who dislike London have plenty of alternatives elsewhere.
    The interests of the staff (cleaners, catering staff, lecturers, professors) -- who in general are at these organisations for many years -- seem to me to be more important than the interests of the students (who are temporary).

And in any case, I don't believe that you speak for students. Especially as you went to Durham, a bit bigger than St Mary Mead, but considerably smaller than London.

There are many, many very highly successful universities in small towns -- Princeton, Yale, Gottingen, Tubingen, Durham, St Andrews, Leiden, Utrecht.

It is characteristically ridiculous of you to suggest the choice is London or St Mary Mead.
    Students who have chosen a London university will not be attracted to a more parochial destination, any more than the IOC considered Birmingham or Manchester as appropriate destinations for the Olympics. That other students are content with a smaller town destination does not invalidate that observation.
    Because IOC decisions were renowned for their objectivity....
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

I attended (loosely speaking) Imperial and was able to rent a bijou little studio just off Ken High Street out of my grant. One would now need to be in a £60k a year job to even think about that. Still, the past is a different country and they do things differently there.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993

But none of those institutions is struggling to attract or retain talent. They're not struggling to get students, either.

And what of nurses at central London's hospitals - they're surely much worse off than academics
This discussion has been closed.