Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson’s opening gift to Starmer – scrapping HS2?

Comments

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Trumps speech at Davos is a study in self appreciation and how glorious he is

He must be taking lessons from Kim Jong-un though I doubt the audience will stand in devotion with metronomic applause

Well that would mean he's in good company at Davos.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Pulpstar said:

What does our own @Tissue_Price make of HS2 ?

Whatever the whips tell him to make of it. Which eventually leads us back to Boris at square one.
    This is a huge decision for Johnson. We will learn a lot about how he will govern when he announces the final fudge/result of his thinking.
    depends how it's spun. If it's 'we're scrapped HS2 so we can do X,Y and Z', then that'll be different than 'we're scrapping it, and that's it'.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Whatever the whips tell him to make of it. Which eventually leads us back to Boris at square one.
    This is a huge decision for Johnson. We will learn a lot about how he will govern when he announces the final fudge/result of his thinking.
    depends how it's spun. If it's 'we're scrapped HS2 so we can do X,Y and Z', then that'll be different than 'we're scrapping it, and that's it'.
    Presumably the strategy will be 'we're scrapped HS2 so we can do X,Y and Z' and then scale back X, Y and Z a bit at a time. Or constituency by constituency, starting with the least appreciative.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977

Pulpstar said:

He'll need to check with Dom
    Trains are too prosaic for the Westminster Mentat. All funds will be channeled into research of superluminal Segways.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

He must be taking lessons from Kim Jong-un though I doubt the audience will stand in devotion with metronomic applause

Well that would mean he's in good company at Davos.
    Come on, Trump is in a class of his own when it comes to narcissism. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/the-mind-of-donald-trump/480771/
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

Pulpstar said:

Presumably the strategy will be 'we're scrapped HS2 so we can do X,Y and Z' and then scale back X, Y and Z a bit at a time. Or constituency by constituency, starting with the least appreciative.
    X, Y and Z being, of course, projects that will never happen.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

TOPPING said:

I hope it comes down to Starmer vs Thornberry. Two authentic working class candidates.

Of which I of course hope that Thornberry will win.

Speaking as the voice of the North, I can confirm they have impeccable working class credentials.
    Liverpool supporters cannot describe themselves as the "voice of the North" particularly those who are not from Merseyside
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

From the Conservative Manifesto, the X, Y and Z instead of HS2 are:
    Now is the time to invest in Northern Powerhouse Rail, and the Midlands Rail Hub
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Pulpstar said:

From the Conservative Manifesto, the X, Y and Z instead of HS2 are:
    Now is the time to invest in Northern Powerhouse Rail, and the Midlands Rail Hub
    Both of which would be immeasurably improved by HS2 north of Birmingham.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

TOPPING said:

I hope it comes down to Starmer vs Thornberry. Two authentic working class candidates.

Speaking as the voice of the North, I can confirm they have impeccable working class credentials.
    Liverpool supporters cannot describe themselves as the "voice of the North" particularly those who are not from Merseyside
    They are northern when you compare the typical Liverpool supporter to your typical Man Utd supporter (home town Basingstoke).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

They are northern when you compare the typical Liverpool supporter to your typical Man Utd supporter (home town Basingstoke).
    Disagree. I see just as many Liverpool supporters at, say, Warwick services when I go to Anfield as Man Utd supporters when I go to Old Trafford.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The other misleading thing about HS2 is that when they say HS2 will cut journey times by 40 minutes etc they are talking only about direct services that don’t stop at intermediate stations.

Most HS2 journeys will stop at a half dozen intermediate stops which knock off 12-15 minutes off the savings.

This is what's happened in France. I was shocked at how often the TGV from Lille to Marseille stopped. I guess all the local politicians want their town to be on the line, even if it adds 30 minutes to the journey time between the big cities.
    The best one in France is Gare de Lyon to Besancon. Some national politician, either Chirac or Sarkozy came to Besancon and gave a commitment to reduce the rail time for the above journey to under 2 hrs. This was a fantastic promise and fantastic it was, so fantastic that they drew a circle from Paris to see where a TGV could get in 2 hrs. Where this intersected the TGV line from Gare de Lyon to Mulhouse they built a new railway station and called it Besancon Franche Comte International. Unfortunately this is a heck of a way away from Besancon Viotte, the real railway station and so you have the choice of a train from Viotte to BFC or else a very expensive taxi journey, over 30 euros ! There is no doubt the journey whilst more comfortable now takes longer than it did before. It certainly takes 2 1/2 hrs to get from Paris to Besancon itself, at least.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079

Having sabotaged the economy and ruined the public finances that way, what better way to continue the damage by hosing huge amounts of money at a bad value infrastructure project?

I take your point. But I would only oppose a major infrastructure investment that had cross party support in the following 2 circumstances, neither of which apply -

(i) I disagree as a fully clued up expert.

(ii) It goes through my house.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Eagles, to be fair, the Manchester United position now is significantly better than it was about a quarter of the way into the season.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I thought Starmer's dad owned a factory?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I'm the voice of the North because I live in Yorkshire and a member of Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

Further proof of my Northern heritage is that I drop the c-bomb nearly every time I say 'couldn't'.
  • Options

I hope Greta gets him in a room one-on-one with no minders.
  • Options
    eek said:

Pulpstar said:

algarkirk said:

The overwhelming majority of people in the north almost never travel by train.

It's because we all live a decent drive from a station with insufficient parking.
    22 years ago when we moved North we picked Darlington as it is literally the only place with decent communication links (motorway, train and plane) near the Dales where Mrs Eek had got her dream job as a Planner there.
    In which case I probably met Mrs Eek on a very regular basis.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

He was apparently a newspaper magnate, billionaire, and owned the Washington Redskins. Apparently. Or I might have misread that bit. It was in the Express so I'm not sure.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141

Pulpstar said:

On past performance he'll kick the can on anything practical and announce something more exciting that doesn't involve anyone actually doing anything concrete for a while, say the A1 hyperloop.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Worked in one. Toolmaker.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Fake news, he just worked there, working up to a seniorish role.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

In a way, I think that makes him more middle class than if he ran his own business. At least, that's how I feel about the world today; maybe it wasn't quite like that back then.
  • Options
    Ah right just a smear then.

And so it begins.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

algarkirk said:

The overwhelming majority of people in the north almost never travel by train.

It's because we all live a decent drive from a station with insufficient parking.
    22 years ago when we moved North we picked Darlington as it is literally the only place with decent communication links (motorway, train and plane) near the Dales where Mrs Eek had got her dream job as a Planner there.
    I will out myself totally by saying she's back there now. How she returned there is about as weird a story of random decisions and coincidences as you could possibly imagine.
  • Options

Steady on!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    kinabalu said:

Having sabotaged the economy and ruined the public finances that way, what better way to continue the damage by hosing huge amounts of money at a bad value infrastructure project?

I take your point. But I would only oppose a major infrastructure investment that had cross party support in the following 2 circumstances, neither of which apply -

For ii surely even that would depend on how much and how quickly they purchased your house?

It's safe to say that John Bishop hasn't done badly out of it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

In a way, I think that makes him more middle class than if he ran his own business. At least, that's how I feel about the world today; maybe it wasn't quite like that back then.
    The description of working/middle/upper classes have evolved over the years.

At the time he was working class (and probably still is).

The widening of university access has led to people being described as middle class now when they clearly aren't.

In Keir Starmer's father's day, as he didn't attend university, and no one in their family hadn't, he was working class.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

Pulpstar said:

On past performance he'll kick the can on anything practical and announce something more exciting that doesn't involve anyone actually doing anything concrete for a while, say the A1 hyperloop.
    Bridge, probably. Think of the alliteration.
  • Options
    Here's one for you all, was Sir Edward Heath of working class heritage?

A father who was a carpenter & mother who was a maid, I'd say working class but I've occasionally seen him described as coming from a lower middle class family?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Someone should open a book on the first date on which Sir Keir Starmer's father is not mentioned at all on PB.

I suspect the favourite will be sometime into mid-spring.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

This is who Trump is:
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/01/27/the-fight-to-save-an-innocent-refugee-from-almost-certain-death
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Ah right just a smear then.

And so it begins.

The Senior Starmer's have already been accused, apparently, of owning an Aga. Although it rather looks as they're both dead. Starmer was born in 1962, so his parents would, if still alive, be in their late 70's/early 80's
  • Options

A father who was a carpenter & mother who was a maid, I'd say working class but I've occasionally seen him described as coming from a lower middle class family?

Works with hands and a servant, how can they be anything except Working Class?
  • Options
    edited January 2020

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

The description of working/middle/upper classes have evolved over the years.

At the time he was working class (and probably still is).

The widening of university access has led to people being described as middle class now when they clearly aren't.

In Keir Starmer's father's day, as he didn't attend university, and no one in their family hadn't, he was working class.
    Starmer Senior, as a toolmaker, would have served a five-year apprenticeship, probably getting OND/C at a Tech.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    eek said:

The only definition of class that has any political utility is the Marxist one; the relation to the means of production.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    Has anyone kept a record of if a thread has passed yet without the B word being mentioned yet? Last night was quite good with all the HS2 chat as a diversion
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2020
    I think Northern voters are more bothered by Northern commuting issues (roads primarily, then Northern commuting rail) and capacity from Birmingham to London falls much further down the pecking order for Northern voters.

If Birmingham to London is overcrowded that isn't a justification for a blank cheque of over a hundred billion pounds when the funds for electrifying Northern commuting rail networks are unavailable. Especially when HS2 isn't even supposed to reach the North until the 2030s anyway I don't see this as a "Northern" issue that will bother voters around here in 2025.

Improve commuting road and rail first and foremost. Then if there's money leftover should HS2 be considered.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

The only definition of class that has any political utility is the Marxist one; the relation to the means of production.
    I don't know why there is still a discussion on this. Surely it is well-established case law that you are working-class if you have your dinner at lunch time, middle-class if you have your dinner at dinner time, and upper class if you have your dinner whenever the hell you feel like having it.
  • Options
    Now, I know I'm not comparing like for like exactly and all that, and I know that land acquisition is more expensive in England, but as a physicist I was taught to check that the order of magnitude of a figure looked right. So here we go:

French high-speed rail projects: Less than €20m per kilometer
    HS2: £200m per kilometer.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/764486/cost-construction-lines-lgv-by-kilometer-la-france/
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I wonder what 2019 Tory gain is closest to an HS2 station?

Warrington South was a gain and has Warrington Bank Quay in it which I believe is meant to be on the line (but only in the later stages in the 2030s).
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

I don't know why there is still a discussion on this. Surely it is well-established case law that you are working-class if you have your dinner at lunch time, middle-class if you have your dinner at dinner time, and upper class if you have your dinner whenever the hell you feel like having it.
    I have my lunch at dinner time.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

Heath was working class, Thatcher was lower middle class her father being a shop owner
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Now, I know I'm not comparing like for like exactly and all that, and I know that land acquisition is more expensive in England, but as a physicist I was taught to check that the order of magnitude of a figure looked right. So here we go:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/764486/cost-construction-lines-lgv-by-kilometer-la-france/

What on earth is being done in this country to warrant such mahoosive cost per kilometre.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Worked in one. Toolmaker.
    Bit harsh on Keir.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2020
    Pulpstar said:

What on earth is being done in this country to warrant such mahoosive cost per kilometre.
    Exactly. Maybe there is a good reason, no doubt the figures are not directly comparable, etc, etc, but the number one question, which has to be answered before one can say whether HS2 is a good project or not, is why on earth it is so expensive, and what if anything could be done to make it more affordable.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Not a single vote in Northern Ireland assembly yesterday for Johnson's NI Brexit "solution". All five major parties are adamantly opposed. Yet Johnson claims Northern Ireland consent.

Remarkable, if you think about it.

https://twitter.com/MatthewOToole2/status/1219386443598041088

I'm sure amongst all BJ's bullshit platitudes, 'uniting the country' must have been one of them. Presumably uniting the constituent nations of the UK individually wasn't quite what he meant.
    The SDLP is not the largest party in Northern Ireland and more Northern Irish voters voted for Unionist parties at the general election rather than Nationalist parties, Wales voted Leave like England and most Scots also voted for Unionist parties
  • Options
    So Starmer Sr was a grammar-school educated foreman at an Aga-maker.

Have I got this right?
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Gentleman Class goes out for lunch and stays for dinner.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    HYUFD said:

Heath was working class, Thatcher was lower middle class her father being a shop owner
    Hmm. Wouldn't a carpenter be an artisan, lower middle class?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    I know we're all talking in semi-ironic terms, but I can't think of another country in the world where people talk about what class they're from with such keen interest. There is ample polling and actual voting evidence that the electorate doesn't care (cf. B. Johnson). What they want is someone who appears to understand and care about them; whether they come from a similar background is not the point.

The same applies to their religious views (unless applied to policy), their sex lives (or absence thereof, cf. Ted Heath), where they go on holiday and numerous other personal choices.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Exactly. Maybe there is a good reason, no doubt the figures are not directly comparable, etc, etc, but the number one question, which has to be answered before one can say whether HS2 is a good project or not, is why on earth it is so expensive, and what if anything could be done to make it more affordable.
    I suspect the people who think this must be done under all circumstances are why costs are so massive. If you have no fear of your project being cancelled, you have no incentive to control costs.
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Animal_pb said:

HYUFD said:

No, a carpenter is a manual labourer who works with his hands and by definition working class, if skilled working class C2.

Shop keepers, small business owners, office admin staff, the police and nurses etc are lower middle class C1
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836

I know we're all talking in semi-ironic terms, but I can't think of another country in the world where people talk about what class they're from with such keen interest. There is ample polling and actual voting evidence that the electorate doesn't care (cf. B. Johnson). What they want is someone who appears to understand and care about them; whether they come from a similar background is not the point.

The same applies to their religious views (unless applied to policy), their sex lives (or absence thereof, cf. Ted Heath), where they go on holiday and numerous other personal choices.

It wasn't until I travelled abroad a lot that I found out no other country can tell someone's class from their accent. It is a uniquely British thing.
  • Options

Spot on Nick
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:

Animal_pb said:

HYUFD said:

No, a carpenter is a manual labourer who works with his hands and by definition working class, skilled working class C2.

Shop keepers, small business owners, office admin staff, the police and nurses etc are lower middle class
    Doctors/surgeons work with their hands, thus they are working class.

I told you all I was from a working class family.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Have I got this right?

No you are wrong.

There is only one Aga maker
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Everyone has their dinner at dinner time. Except you think I have y dinner at lunchtime, and I think you have your dinner at teatime.

Anyway, I've identified a new differentiator - wheelie bins:

House number stickers - Middle Class
    House number painted on - Working Class

No house number (just a name) - Upper Class
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

Yes I’d say so. It only really is a talking point because Labour candidates, and their fans, are desperate to make them working class. Even if they were, working class graduates who go on to become metropolitan lawyers with PC attitudes are far less popular with working class voters than privately educated toffs I reckon, so it doesn’t matter anyway.
  • Options

€6 billion for the Cologne to Frankfurt 177km high-speed line, completed in 2002. So about €33m per kilometre for a line with 30 tunnels and 18 viaducts.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited January 2020
    philiph said:

Have I got this right?

No you are wrong.

There is only one Aga maker
    The Aga Khan?

(versus Starmer Sr. - the Aga Khan't......)
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

It wasn't until I travelled abroad a lot that I found out no other country can tell someone's class from their accent. It is a uniquely British thing.
    Yes but I'm not sure that Nick is right about class not being important in other countries. It is certainly very important in France, for example, overlaid on to the Paris vs the provinces distinction.

(He's right in his second point about the electorate not caring, though).
  • Options
    No other day I got home from work and announced that "My train was late"

My wife immediately phoned the Mail and Express to report that I owned a train.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Pulpstar said:

I expect the actual cost of the necessary diggers and steel will probably be about 20 billion quid with another 100 billion of legal, management, consulting, contractor profit, sub contractor profit, gov't overrun, accounting, civil servant, overtime, contractor variation payment, subcontractor variation payment, people paid to stand around doing nothing etc etc on top.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

Animal_pb said:

HYUFD said:

No, a carpenter is a manual labourer who works with his hands and by definition working class, skilled working class C2.

Shop keepers, small business owners, office admin staff, the police and nurses etc are lower middle class

No as they are also graduates which by definition makes them middle class and they also hold consultations in their offices for much of their working day, in fact you are clearly upper middle class
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Animal_pb said:

HYUFD said:

Donald Trump also 'works with his hands'. Working Class?
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    Do you (Mike Smithson) really think that building HS2 will serve Johnson's purposes? Or even be of benefit to the many millions in the north that he isn't trying to keep on board with the Tories? I don't think that many of these millions have it as serious aspiration to be able to get to London fast and at considerable expense in 20 years time. (Perhaps they are even supposed to want to be able to travel from Manchester to Leeds or vice versa via Birmingham then! Who knows?) Is it your view that the Tory voters among them have swallowed the lie that fast and expensive travel between major UK cities will (after they've waited for it) somehow accrue to the disadvantaged who can't even rely on buses to get to places they want or need to be?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Everyone has their dinner at dinner time. Except you think I have y dinner at lunchtime, and I think you have your dinner at teatime.

Another trait in restaurants where they serve breads as appetisers.

The Working class ask for margarine.

The Middle class ask for butter.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited January 2020

Gabs3 said:

Yes but I'm not sure that Nick is right about class not being important in other countries. It is certainly very important in France, for example, overlaid on to the Paris vs the provinces distinction.

Gabs has never been to America either.

You should see what the rest of the country thinks about the Deep South accents.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

€6 billion for the Cologne to Frankfurt 177km high-speed line, completed in 2002. So about €33m per kilometre for a line with 30 tunnels and 18 viaducts.
    A lot of the cost seems to be due to the fact everything is a tunnel rather than the far cheaper approach of digging a trench.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

I ask for oil and balsamic. Don't you?
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi I've sent you a message that you'll find profoundly unsurprising relating to HS2.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Balsamic vinegar is mingin'.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Animal_pb said:

HYUFD said:

Nope surgeons are working class - doctors sit behind a desk so are lower middle class.

Artisans have had the same class issue for centuries.
  • Options
    Jess heading rapidly to 1000-1 on Betfair. Got my remaining profit on her laid off at 170 anyway.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,258
    moonshine said:

Has anyone kept a record of if a thread has passed yet without the B word being mentioned yet? Last night was quite good with all the HS2 chat as a diversion

Come on.

HS2 is far more important than Brexit.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

One of my fav local eateries delivers the bread with marmite butter. Bostin'!
  • Options

You mean, Britain is class-obsessed?

Who knew!

As it happens I disagree. The electorate secretly care deeply; they just don’t want anyone to think they do.
  • Options

No other day I got home from work and announced that "My train was late"

My wife immediately phoned the Mail and Express to report that I owned a train.

Has she broken it to you that your franchise has been lost?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

You need to compare the greenfield costs per km between France and the UK. HS2 costs will be majorly jacked up by the urban land purchases and tunnelling to get the trains into several major city centres, particularly a London.

Nevertheless, I partly agree with you. HS2 is overspecced.
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes I’d say so. It only really is a talking point because Labour candidates, and their fans, are desperate to make them working class. Even if they were, working class graduates who go on to become metropolitan lawyers with PC attitudes are far less popular with working class voters than privately educated toffs I reckon, so it doesn’t matter anyway.

PC attitudes? This simply means not racist or homophobic or sexist. I thought this battle had been comprehensively won but it would appear not. There's a backlash on. I now know how the Tories feel about private enterprise (being better than central state ownership and planning). You know, when they complain that they thought that battle had been fought and won - and the matter settled for good - long ago.

Ah well.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Not a single vote in Northern Ireland assembly yesterday for Johnson's NI Brexit "solution". All five major parties are adamantly opposed. Yet Johnson claims Northern Ireland consent.

I'm sure amongst all BJ's bullshit platitudes, 'uniting the country' must have been one of them. Presumably uniting the constituent nations of the UK individually wasn't quite what he meant.
    The SDLP is not the largest party in Northern Ireland and more Northern Irish voters voted for Unionist parties at the general election rather than Nationalist parties, Wales voted Leave like England and most Scots also voted for Unionist parties
    But all those other parties oppose Johnson's deal too. There was not a single vote in favour of an arrangement that is supposed to come with Northern Ireland consent.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

Animal_pb said:

HYUFD said:

Donald Trump also 'works with his hands'. Working Class?
    No he works in an office, is an Ivy League graduate and a billionaire, he is upper class in US terms (though upper middle class in UK terms as he is not royal or aristocracy)
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Gabs3 said:

Gabs has never been to America either.

You should see what the rest of the country thinks about the Deep South accents.
    Isn't the point that those who are what passes for upper class in the Deep South, have the same accents as the rest? Regardless of whether anyone in the North East acknowledges that there's a difference.

To the more general point, I'd rather have our class system than, say, the Indian caste system. I'm pretty sure most countries have some comparable form of inbuilt prejudice. We possibly got fixated on class because there wasn't much else to use?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Those who oppose it need to reflect on why there has been such a broad cross-party consensus on this for such a long time, why most people in the rail industry recognise it’s needed, and why northern businessman and politicians are so desperate for it.
  • Options
    Has anyone got a link to how the HS2 budget has 'evolved'* over the years?

*A polite euphemism for massively increasing from the original cost?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

But all those other parties oppose Johnson's deal too. There was not a single vote in favour of an arrangement that is supposed to come with Northern Ireland consent.
    Irrelevant, Northern Ireland still has more Unionist than Nationalist voters so what the UK government decides is definitive (plus the GFA is being protected under the Boris Deal when Northern Ireland leaves the EU)
  • Options
    Eight. You’re not better than other people. One of the things that really gets up voters’ noses is that Labour members seem to think that they’re a cut above. It’s taken for granted that Labour’s policies, and even more so its ideas, are better and on principle more moral than others – as if a bigger and more powerful state is per se more likely to lead to the better life. That might be the case, and in our view given Britain’s dilapidated infrastructure it is very likely so, but you don’t have to sound so smug about it. Firstly because it makes you look like you’re walking round with your noses in the air, and secondly because it makes you look ridiculous whenever you try to do some real politics. The claim to be all principle, and no pragmatism, has been made much worse by Corbynism and all the years in opposition, but it’s always been there – the idea that the further Left you go, the more self-denying and genuinely caring you are.

http://publicpolicypast.blogspot.com/2020/01/so-what-should-labour-do-now.html?m=1
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

eek said:

Balsamic vinegar is mingin'.
    Philistine!
  • Options

Talking in semi-ironic terms in reference to stuff about which they care deeply is a very English trait. Chuck in railways and you have peak PB.
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

My French-Canadian friend had a French-French French teacher at her posh bilingual private school in Montreal. Her teacher's stated goal was to make her students pronounce their vowels like cultured Parisians, because the Quebecois "sound like peasants".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    The Spirit of Orgreave still lives.....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,838
    Jeez, are we all still talking about HS2? If we’d spent the last decade building it instead of arguing about it, it would be close to opening now.

Ditto the third runway at Heathrow, would someone like to estimate how much excess carbon emissions come from having hundreds of planes going round in circles every day waiting for landing slots?

Government needs to get a serious grip on these infrastructure projects, both in terms of JFDI and ensuring that the works are completed on time and budget.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I find it incredibly frustrating that we don't just get on with things in this country. We have been arguing about an additional runway at Heathrow for more than 20 years. It feels like we might end doing the same with HS2. The (non) dualling of the A1 north of Morpeth is absolutely ridiculous and was highlighted in Cummings famous advert as a job needing done quickly. The M8 is still 2 lanes only for most of its distance and frequently resembles a slightly scary car park. It must impact on Livingston which is one of the fastest growing parts of Scotland.

We see the same ineptitude in public sector IT systems, everything the MoD ever touches and in so many public sector building contracts. In Scotland we wince about the Parliament building and the trams.

I accept my attitude is being driven by frustration as much as by a detailed cost benefit analysis and no doubt (if you ignore another 20 years of planning delays) there might be better uses for the money if we look hard enough. But just f****** do it. Now.

HS2/Heathrow Expansion/Gatwick expansion/wind turbines..

It’s simply NIMBYism expressed at a national level. Because these projects get so long to get through main-gate and onto site the politics can stretch over multiple parliamentary cycles, slowing them down each time until they get there.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jess heading rapidly to 1000-1 on Betfair. Got my remaining profit on her laid off at 170 anyway.

Has she officially pulled yet?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Those who oppose it need to reflect on why there has been such a broad cross-party consensus on this for such a long time, why most people in the rail industry recognise it’s needed, and why northern businessman and politicians are so desperate for it.
    NIMBYs don't reflect on things they just object because it causes them (minor) inconvenience and helps others.
This discussion has been closed.