Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New LAB member polling has them rating Corbyn as their most fa

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Afternoon all :)

I'm left with the thought that the Labour and Conservative perspectives on this may be very different.

"To thine own self be true" someone once said. If the point of politics is the acquisition and retention of power is all that matters, one can be as pragmatic as possible so the journey from fiscal austerity to enormous borrowing for capital spending becomes easy.

On the other hand, if the point is to govern according to principles and it becomes impossible so to do or a leader is chosen who governs in defiance of the principle, what is the point?

As a supporter of a Party unlikely ever to gain power, could I support another Party if it chose, in Government, to do everything I'd want my Party if it were in Government? Yes, because the ends are what matters not the means.

If you want Blairite centralised social democracy, you can be happy with Johnson because he's delivering it. The Tories will deny it but Johnson is Blair's child but Thatcher's (as indeed was David Cameron so why should we be surprised?).
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605

The Aga Makers Union has declared for Sir Keir.

Sorry, but an Aga maker would have most likely been in the Boilermakers, which merged with the General & Municipal to form the GMB - and has just backed Lisa N.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208

https://twitter.com/GMB_union/status/1219653661393068032

Major union in breach of copyright case?

Parody exception would almost certainly apply. It evokes an existing work while being noticeably different from it; is intended to be humorous; and it represents fair dealing in that the amount of material is pretty minor and unlikely to negatively impact on the market for the original.
    Thanks.

Of course we all know who got the throne in the end. And it wasn't Sir Keir of Islington Isle.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kicorse said:

kicorse said:

kinabalu said:

yeah, not sure how you can argue against this.

He's just another in the long line of left wing sub-journalist blowhards.

You can argue against it by having a good knowledge of his output and at least the semblance of a critical faculty untainted by softhead bias.
    There are things I would criticise Owen Jones for (self-righteousness; assuming bad faith in opponents), but they are minor flaws in a political sphere inhabited by Johnson and Cummings. The hatred he's getting on here is irrational.
    Irrational? Labour's propagandist-in-chief thought he was going to overturn our entire economy and society and remake it in the image of the far left before the electorate gave their opinion on the subject. Ignominious silence is the least he could offer the country as recompense.

It's going to be maaany decades before I feel like being remotely generous to him.
    Considering that Owen Jones is probably on the receiving end of many irrational comments like that every day, perhaps my criticism of him was unfair!
    Unfairly kind, yes :wink:
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    isam said:
    I don't find these satirical twitter accounts funny anymore since it's so hard to distinguish them from mainstream media.
  • Options
    The colour of the feathers on her wings don't match her hair colour. An unusual variation of the James Bond "collar and cuffs" remark.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    isam said:

His old man would sack them all if they didn’t

Breaking: GMB backing Nandy.

https://twitter.com/GMB_union/status/1219650972609339392

A better option than Starmer IMHO.

Is that enough to get Nandy onto the ballot paper?
    Think she will need any affiliate to get over the line (it could be a two-man band as membership size not important AIUI)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    GMB for Nandy, though trailed last week, seems odd to me when she's apparently not caught the attention of members at all yet in the few polls that have been had. An interesting pick for them.
  • Options

isam said:

Think she will need any affiliate to get over the line (it could be a two-man band as membership size not important AIUI)
    Fingers crossed it happens soon, then attending our CLP nomination meeting loses its importance.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    edited January 2020
    Labour love their losers and despise their winners.

The Tories are the other way round... and it explains why only three people have been Prime Minister after winning general elections while leading the Labour Party since 1945.
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    kle4 said:

Personal preference and all that, but surely even objectively it makes no sense to rate Corbyn as the best.

The question was not "Who is the best former Labour leader?" It was a binary favourable/unfavourable question. Corbyn doesn't have the highest net positive. Even if he did, it would be a completely different thing to saying he was the best.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    edited January 2020

Nothing very surprising here.

You can appreciate why Jeremy Corbyn has a 71% favourable rating when you think about how he won three landslide election victories, was integral in enacting the minimum wage, negotiated the Good Friday Agreement, ran a government that pumped billions into the NHS, promoted gay rights, devolved power to Scotland & Wales etc.

And I suppose it's also obvious why Tony Blair has a 62% negative rating with his dreadful record of losing elections, the blind eye he turned to antisemitism, and the fact he basically spent his entire career on the fringes, never actually enacting a single one of his ideas or doing one iota of good for the working people he claimed to represent.

That track record of achievement by Corbyn must be true.

For how else could you explain that 32% of the supporters of the candidate dubbed "continuity Corbyn" are "completely unwilling to compromise any Labour values even if this means the party is unelectable" (as opposed to only 14% of members in general).

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/01/21/five-more-things-we-discovered-about-labour-member
  • Options
    kicorse said:

kle4 said:

Personal preference and all that, but surely even objectively it makes no sense to rate Corbyn as the best.

The question was not "Who is the best former Labour leader?" It was a binary favourable/unfavourable question. Corbyn doesn't have the highest net positive. Even if he did, it would be a completely different thing to saying he was the best.
    Fair enough, but I'd have assumed some overlap between thinking someone was the best and being favourable toward them, with an expected hit for Blair because of Iraq. Given the results how can it be so overwhelmingly positive, I'd have assumed at least some 'with hindsight' unfavourables.
  • Options

<

She needs one more union or affiliated society of any size.
  • Options

isam said:

Fingers crossed it happens soon, then attending our CLP nomination meeting loses its importance.
    Anyone else thing the CLP stage is largely pointless? Why not get the PLP noms and go straight out to members – unions free to make endorsements as they see fit.
  • Options
    isam said:
    That fictional trans thing is really taking off..
  • Options

isam said:

The pub beckons.
  • Options
    We had Buttegieg's time in the spotlight, Warren, now Sanders and by voting day, Biden?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited January 2020
    Sandpit said:

Owen Jones v Dan Hannan (from before the EU referendum). They disagree with almost everything the other has to say, but they are both very polite and prepared to listen to each other’s opinions.

Have not got the time right now to listen to your YouTube clip but I will later.

Have you posted it to back me up or is your covering comment a sarcastic one?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    kicorse said:

<

She needs one more union or affiliated society of any size.
    Ta!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GMB for Nandy, though trailed last week, seems odd to me when she's apparently not caught the attention of members at all yet in the few polls that have been had. An interesting pick for them.

Respect for the New Statesman is due. They were the first to trail the significance of Sarah Owen's nomination of Nandy, 11 days ago.
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/01/everyones-missed-most-important-endorsement-labour-leadership-campaign
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    GIN1138 said:

The Tories are the other way round... and it explains why only three people have been Prime Minister leading the Labour Party since 1945.

Do they? I realise Thatcher stands alone but is Heath that popular among modern Conservatives, or Major - both of whom won (and of course lost) GEs. What about MacMillan and I wouldn't be surprised if Hague and IDS were quite unpopular - the former got trounced by Blair and the second got ousted by his own MPs.

What about May?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,922
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Owen Jones v Dan Hannan (from before the EU referendum). They disagree with almost everything the other has to say, but they are both very polite and prepared to listen to each other’s opinions.

Have not got the time right now to listen to your YouTube clip but I will later.

Peter Hitchens’ interviewed by OJ was a cordial affair
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    edited January 2020

Parody exception would almost certainly apply. It evokes an existing work while being noticeably different from it; is intended to be humorous; and it represents fair dealing in that the amount of material is pretty minor and unlikely to negatively impact on the market for the original.
    Or, to take the view of the lawyers representing the other side, it’s neither parody nor satire, rather suggesting that their intellectual property should be associated with a certain political viewpoint, and the accompanying text (which is neither humorous nor satirical) might suggest that the owners of this intellectual property support or endorse this political viewpoint, which they don’t. ;)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    Nandy's move from 15 odd to 9.x looks overdone on Betfair to me, laid her a touch. She's still a country mile behind in the polls.
  • Options
    More than a passing resemblance to Cersei Lannister......
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I've read an awful lot of the nonsense he's put out over the years, and have seen plenty of his interviews and panel appearances.

There's nothing benign about him unless you agree with him. He's a dogmatic machine activist who would be utterly merciless to his opposition if it were Corbyn with a majority of 80 instead of Boris.

Sorry but I detect a complete lack of objectivity.

Test -

Who IYO is his closest right wing equivalent?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    kle4 said:

kicorse said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough, but I'd have assumed some overlap between thinking someone was the best and being favourable toward them, with an expected hit for Blair because of Iraq. Given the results how can it be so overwhelmingly positive, I'd have assumed at least some 'with hindsight' unfavourables.
    There would be some overlap, yes. I do think that this poll is being misinterpreted here though.

For example, I would answer favourable on Corbyn and unfavourable on Blair, because that is my view of them as people. The fact that Blair was a "winner" and Corbyn was a "loser" is irrelevant to my assessment of them as people. However, when voting for a Labour leader, I would absolutely vote for someone who I thought could win. I think Long-Bailey would be a bad choice, though I would also answer favourable on her.

Now, I'm not saying you can project my views onto the Labour membership. Certainly, there are some who don't want to learn from the election. But the commentary here seems to be that 71% fall into that camp, and this is nonsense.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

This from Owen Jones is pretty cutting. Feels a little gratuitously mean-spirited but I think the central point holds.

"Centrist Hack Syndrome" :smile:

BTW, this YouGov "analysis" is pisspoor. They clearly want to say that Labour members are astonishingly ignorant of the great Attlee and as to be expected of such morons love the ghastly Corbyn and so they just go ahead and say this even though the data shows nothing of the sort.

The DKs for Attlee are about the same as for Callaghan, Wilson, less than for Gaitskell, MacDonald, and not much greater than for Foot and Smith. And the DK does not mean "never heard of" - it means "do not know enough to give a rating". That is quite different. Attlee was 75 years ago.

Ed Miliband has just a 1 pt less favourable rating than Corbyn and a better net rating. Smith, Attlee and Wilson all have better nets than Corbyn. The one Corbyn really beats by miles is - quelle surprise - the Great Satan Tony Blair.

And yet -

"Jeremy Corbyn is the most popular leader of the past century among Labour members (partly because a quarter don’t seem to know who Clement Attlee is)."

Pathetic.
    Quite. There would be more justification in saying the people at YouGov don't even know whether Attlee is still alive...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nandy's move from 15 odd to 9.x looks overdone on Betfair to me, laid her a touch. She's still a country mile behind in the polls.

Likewise.
  • Options
    On thread, given that Labour had in excess of 100,000 new members since the GE. I wonder how representative the YouGov panel base is. They will have had to be extremely adroit to pick up the new members in their panel. If not, their results could be skewed. It's reported that a lot of the new members are people returning after having left under Corbyn (like me), but I do wonder. It's one of the few factors that could be capable of tripping Starmer up, if the anecdotal reports are wrong.
  • Options
    isam said:

Oh dear

tps://twitter.com/pinknews/status/1219649504502276097?s=21

Lol, so the woke are now getting offended on behalf of fictional people!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

isam said:

Oh dear

tps://twitter.com/pinknews/status/1219649504502276097?s=21

Lol, so the woke are now getting offended on behalf of fictional people!
    Apparently it is all YouTube's fault...

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/01/radicalisation-laurence-fox-shows-worrying-power-right-wing-youtube
  • Options

He's a shameless propagandist. His first book completely missed the point of what its eponym means to the working class. He's been effective in keeping Labour out of power for all the time that he's been campaigning for them.

He also came out with this hilarious bilge, so at least he once made me laugh inadvertently:

He argues the Left case passionately and fairly. His first book was astute and well argued. A great achievement for somebody so young. It deservedly made his name. He has not kept Labour out of power for the last decade. The voters have done that. The linked article on Russell Brand would not be one of his finest IMO. So what? Nobody gets it right all the time. He has written some outstanding stuff over the years.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Not sarcastic at all. The two men had a genuinely polite conversation and agreed to disagree, as opposed to the usual Twitter-based slanging match usually seen between left and right.

Twitter-based OJ is quite different from in-person OJ.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    GIN1138 said:

The Tories are the other way round... and it explains why only three people have been Prime Minister after winning general elections while leading the Labour Party since 1945.

Not necessarily, IDS and Hague and Howard are far more popular with Tory members than Cameron, Major or Heath for example, only Thatcher and Boris won elections while still being popular with the membership.

Wilson and Attlee won elections and are still popular with the Labour membership on the Yougov chart even if Blair is not
  • Options
    I suspect she will now endorse anyone but Long Bailey
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    I find Lisa Nandy friendly, intelligent, interesting and rather cute. She seems (at present) rather non-threatening to me.

I can see her winning over soft Tories. Which is precisely why she won’t win.
  • Options

Hillary Clinton on Bernie Sanders:

He was in Congress for years. He had one senator support him. Nobody likes him, nobody wants to work with him, he got nothing done. He was a career politician. It's all just baloney and I feel so bad that people got sucked into it.
    It's not only him, it's the culture around him. It's his leadership team. It's his prominent supporters. It's his online Bernie Bros and their relentless attacks on lots of his competitors, particularly the women.

And I really hope people are paying attention to that because it should be worrisome that he has permitted this culture — not only permitted, [he] seems to really be very much supporting it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/479097-clinton-weighs-in-on-sanders-nobody-likes-him-nobody-wants-to-work-with-him

Hillary would probably secretly prefer Trump to beat Sanders much as Blair predicted Boris would beat Corbyn
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think she’s someone who’ll impress everyone but the mass of voters in the selectorate.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Not necessarily, IDS and Hague are far more popular with Tory members than Cameron, Major or Heath for example, only Thatcher and Boris won elections while still being very popular with the membership of recent leaders.

Wilson and Attlee won elections and are still popular with the Labour membership on the Yougov chart even if Blair is not
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1140885388912996353?s=20
  • Options
    An interesting blog-post on changes in inequality since 1997 by lefty economist Chris Dillow:

https://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2020/01/inequality-under-new-labour.html

Note in particular the bar for the richest 5% in the second graph.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    kinabalu said:

He's a shameless propagandist. His first book completely missed the point of what its eponym means to the working class. He's been effective in keeping Labour out of power for all the time that he's been campaigning for them.

He also came out with this hilarious bilge, so at least he once made me laugh inadvertently:

He argues the Left case passionately and fairly. His first book was astute and well argued. A great achievement for somebody so young. It deservedly made his name. He has not kept Labour out of power for the last decade. The voters have done that. The linked article on Russell Brand would not be one of his finest IMO. So what? Nobody gets it right all the time. He has written some outstanding stuff over the years.
    I don't agree with him but I like him because he's very cute ;-)
  • Options

Fascinating.

Where have such influential thought leaders brought your party?

It's not fascinating. It's just useful context. What has he achieved? Well, not a GE success for Labour if this is your point. And it's a good point. It's fair comment. But remember that winning a GE from the Left in this country is massively difficult.

Now how about answering my question -

What did you mean by Jones "literally had a go" at a Labour MP?

Because it sounds quite nasty and perhaps it's something I've missed.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

There are things I would criticise Owen Jones for (self-righteousness; assuming bad faith in opponents), but they are minor flaws in a political sphere inhabited by Johnson and Cummings. The hatred he's getting on here is irrational.

It is. We are getting quite some triumphalist groupthink on here since the Con landslide.

OJ is far from a paragon but he is NOT a purveyor of low grade propaganda or possessed of a mean spirit.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I suspect she will now endorse anyone but Long Bailey
    If she wants a job it will be Starmer.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Not necessarily, IDS and Hague are far more popular with Tory members than Cameron, Major or Heath for example, only Thatcher and Boris won elections while still being very popular with the membership of recent leaders.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1140885388912996353?s=20
    Sorry Ted. Even Theresa May was better than you.

*the Incredible Sulk continues for a few more decades...*
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Or, to take the view of the lawyers representing the other side, it’s neither parody nor satire, rather suggesting that their intellectual property should be associated with a certain political viewpoint, and the accompanying text (which is neither humorous nor satirical) might suggest that the owners of this intellectual property support or endorse this political viewpoint, which they don’t. ;)
    That argument just wouldn't have any real prospect of success.

It may not be a particularly brilliant joke, but it is certainly intended as a joke, and that's all that matters.

It's also inconceivable that a reasonable person would see it as an endorsement by the makers of Game of Thrones rather than by the GMB. The clue is that it explicitly says it's an endorsement by the GMB).

Lots of legal cases are arguable either way. This one really wouldn't be.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

He's not an idiot - he keeps it the right side of the line, but is pretty mean-spirited just the same. Yesterday's example being his reaction to the idea of Tom Watson getting a peerage... "yuck".

His books are well written but aren't particularly well regarded. They are what they are - populist polemics, preaching to the choir (as are a lot of books by journos on the right). I don't begrudge people with a good turn of phrase making a few bob, but let's not make him out to be some sort of intellectual titan.

He is neither an intellectual titan nor a low grade, nasty propaganda merchant. He is an articulate and intelligent voice of the Left.

Re the peerages -

"Yuck. Labour are completely out of order giving figures from the top of the party unelected peerages, whoever they are. Demand the abolition of the House of Lords and leave it at that."

What's so bad about that?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:
    This is the Della Bovey moment where I realise it’s absolutely fine not to care about any of these people in the slightest.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    kinabalu said:

Fascinating.

Where have such influential thought leaders brought your party?

It's not fascinating. It's just useful context. What has he achieved? Well, not a GE success for Labour if this is your point. And it's a good point. It's fair comment. But remember that winning a GE from the Left in this country is massively difficult.

Now how about answering my question -

What did you mean by Jones "literally had a go" at a Labour MP?

Because it sounds quite nasty and perhaps it's something I've missed.
    I recall it - the Canterbury MP unfollowed him by mistake and he reacted with a hysterical rant about her lack of gratitude for his help. The whole episode was cringemaking
  • Options
    Aside from being a tad too harsh on Cameron the only seriously barmy thing about that list is the position of IDS.

I mean, really??
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Remember his hilarious 'Unseat' campaign with Momentum, lauched in August 2017?

The group apparently sought 'to create a series of Portillo moments' (!) Well, Owen, you succeeded pretty spectacularly with that one, just not in the way you intended! :lol:

This is simply gloating at somebody who tried hard to achieve something very challenging and failed. It's unappetizing and reprehensible.
  • Options

Aside from being a tad too harsh on Cameron the only seriously barmy thing about that list is the position of IDS.

I mean, really??

IDS was never defeated at a general election
  • Options

I mean, really??

I would only have been satisfied if Cameron ended up with a 52:48 split.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

On thread, given that Labour had in excess of 100,000 new members since the GE. I wonder how representative the YouGov panel base is. They will have had to be extremely adroit to pick up the new members in their panel. If not, their results could be skewed. It's reported that a lot of the new members are people returning after having left under Corbyn (like me), but I do wonder. It's one of the few factors that could be capable of tripping Starmer up, if the anecdotal reports are wrong.

Have labour relay gained 100,000 new members since the election?

They may, I'm not saying its wrong, I just haven't seen any evedance, e.g. a link to a statement by the party, or similar.

I have seen quotes of X constituency has had almost 100 new members, and the extrapolation that if that's typical that would be 60,000, which was followed a few days later by 60,000 to 90,000 new members and now 100,000.

there properly are a reasonable number of people who are rejoining, and I've got nothing to base that estimation on. It may come down to Symantec's, if a person left during the finical year then rejoined, is that a new member, or an existing member with a brack in membership?

But I look at the number of 'Resisted Supporters' that this time are paying £25 not the £20 or £3 of the last two leadership elections. only 14,700 joined this time compared to over 10 times that last time. I perceive, maybe incorrectly that as labour seems further from power, people have less interest or enthusiasm about who will lead, at least compared to the last two elections.

p.s. Full credit to you for rejoining and Corbyn is gone, best of luck with getting a better replacement.

• Options

An interesting blog-post on changes in inequality since 1997 by lefty economist Chris Dillow:

https://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2020/01/inequality-under-new-labour.html

Note in particular the bar for the richest 5% in the second graph.

That’s a thoughtful post.
  • Options
    isam said:

Mentioning she came from a comfortable background was not intended to be a positive, he did so in order to disparage her while comparing her to someone posher

I was just correcting your statement that he "attacked Jess for being posh".

Sort of thing you do - and quite rightly.

:smile:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

Oh boy, but he so would have been.

He might have ended up with ever fewer seats than Hague did in 2001.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

No, when IDS was ousted Yougov had the Tories on 34%, Howard got 32%, Hague got 31%

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-2001-2005
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I'd be surprised if any major project was supported by a clear majority once things got into planning and initial stages.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

No, when IDS was ousted Yougov had the Tories on 34%, Howard got 32%, Hague got 31%
    There wasn’t a general election when he was ousted, so it’s a midterm poll and therefore bollocks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

Sure, but the fact he never got the chance is a pretty decent indicator that the unfavourables have reason to be slightly higher thanthe favourables at least.
  • Options

If sheer volume of the sound of his own voice is what it takes to be effective then yes absolutely he is an incredibly effective self publicist.

If convincing rather than putting off the rest of the country is what it takes to be considered effective then I would posit he is not that effective.

If the election of a hard left Labour government in Britain is the test by which we measure the effectiveness of those who advocate it then they are all, at this point, failures.

So perhaps we should look for other measures in order for this debate to be meaningful.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

There wasn’t a general election when he was ousted, so it’s a midterm poll and therefore bollocks.
    I don't see why, Howard won very few Labour or LD converts IDS had not already got and a few Tories defected to UKIP when Howard replaced IDS
  • Options
    felix said:

I recall it - the Canterbury MP unfollowed him by mistake and he reacted with a hysterical rant about her lack of gratitude for his help. The whole episode was cringemaking

Does not sound great. I will investigate.
  • Options
    'roughly 700,000'

I would be surprised if more than half that vote in the leadership elections, maybe just a third.

But what do I know, we will find out in a couple of months time.
  • Options
    Xtrain said:

I don't agree with him but I like him because he's very cute ;-)

He is too. You just wait till he's 45. He's going to get better looking with age - like Huw Edwards.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    How do you unfollow someone by mistake?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Not sarcastic at all. The two men had a genuinely polite conversation and agreed to disagree, as opposed to the usual Twitter-based slanging match usually seen between left and right.

Twitter-based OJ is quite different from in-person OJ.

Thank you!

Yes, Twitter. He's meant to be scaling back on all that. Let's see.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

I don't see why, Howard won very few Labour or LD converts IDS had not already got and a few Tories defected to UKIP when Howard replaced IDS
    IDS was incompetent. A majority of Tory MPs agreed and defenestrated him in a vote that was unprecedented.

Had he remained leader Blair would have made mincemeat of him during the 2005 campaign whilst he pursued a naive targeting strategy. The weaknesses that MPs saw would have been plain for all voters to see.

Sure, Howard wasn’t loved. But he was competent and put in place a professional campaign that steadied the ship, gained 30+ seats and brought in the next generation of talent.
  • Options
    I’m amazed that Owen Jones attracts such strong opinions one way or the other. I find him a fairly benign turnoff in the same way I find Julia Hartley-Brewer a fairly benign turnoff. Who cares?
  • Options

I’m amazed that Owen Jones attracts such strong opinions one way or the other. I find him a fairly benign turnoff in the same way I find Julia Hartley-Brewer a fairly benign turnoff. Who cares?

It's the very fact he is articulate that gets him attention and makes people, for and against, get a bit too over the top about it. Supposedly he gets shirty about being called an activist, which he definitely is, but I cannot speak to that.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    So Owen's right wing equivalent is - well it's not Julia Hartley Brewer (c'mon!).

No it's, it's - nope nothing is occurring atm. And I do not want to say something silly that I might come to bitterly regret, so more thought required.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

They may, I'm not saying its wrong, I just haven't seen any evedance, e.g. a link to a statement by the party, or similar.

I have seen quotes of X constituency has had almost 100 new members, and the extrapolation that if that's typical that would be 60,000, which was followed a few days later by 60,000 to 90,000 new members and now 100,000.

there properly are a reasonable number of people who are rejoining, and I've got nothing to base that estimation on. It may come down to Symantec's, if a person left during the finical year then rejoined, is that a new member, or an existing member with a brack in membership?

But I look at the number of 'Resisted Supporters' that this time are paying £25 not the £20 or £3 of the last two leadership elections. only 14,700 joined this time compared to over 10 times that last time. I perceive, maybe incorrectly that as labour seems further from power, people have less interest or enthusiasm about who will lead, at least compared to the last two elections.

p.s. Full credit to you for rejoining and Corbyn is gone, best of luck with getting a better replacement.

The much higher number of registered supporters last time was because the option of joining as a member was closed off, which wasn't the case this time. Given that you can pay monthly by direct debit, it was actually the cheaper option if your intention was only to join in order to vote.

The 100,000 has been repeated in a number of papers but I think the original source was the Huff Post who put it out there well before the deadline.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

So Owen's right wing equivalent is - well it's not Julia Hartley Brewer (c'mon!).

No it's, it's - nope nothing is occurring atm. And I do not want to say something silly that I might come to bitterly regret, so more thought required.

Have to admit I independently thought of her. Purely in talking-head-on-panels terms. I have no idea whether she's written any books or has any connection to serious politicians as he does.

In one sense they're opposites. She presents herself as the voice of reason while saying fairly wacky things, whereas he comes across as radical even when saying middle-of-the-road things. But that's characteristic of the right and left, respectively.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Andrew Pierce?
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Bernie on the drift - 4.2 for the nomination.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333

BigRich said:

The much higher number of registered supporters last time was because the option of joining as a member was closed off, which wasn't the case this time. Given that you can pay monthly by direct debit, it was actually the cheaper option if your intention was only to join in order to vote.

The 100,000 has been repeated in a number of papers but I think the original source was the Huff Post who put it out there well before the deadline.
    I don't think there's any real doubt about it - have heard it from multiple constituencies in similar terms. I don't by contrast know anyone who has signed to be a registered supporter, though one was considering it as he didn't want to join but wanted to express a view on the leadership.

I have no idea what the new members think, but they are nearly all new names to me, rather than people rejoining.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    kinabalu said:

Tommy Robinson ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,064
    edited January 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

Tommy Robinson ?
    I don't think I've actually ever seen anything written by Yaxley-Lennon. Can he actually write?
  • Options
    Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    BigRich said:

'roughly 700,000'

I would be surprised if more than half that vote in the leadership elections, maybe just a third.

Jess Phillips was great. Very disappointed she is out. Who should Rejoiners back now?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,198
    kinabalu said:

Steve Walker?
  • Options
    I suppose one thing that can be said about both the Tory and Labour historical rating polls is that the question is "do you have a favourable or unfavourable view of X?" not "Was X a good or bad party leader?"

Those are different things. Hague and Callaghan are/were quite likable characters in my view, but neither won an election. You can also see why an anti-EU Tory would like IDS, and why a socialist (as opposed to social democrat) Labour supporter would like Corbyn, even though they were unsuccessful leaders. Likewise, the politics of Blair and Major are very much out of fashion in their respective parties, even though one has a flawless electoral record and the other at least won one election he wasn't expected to win.

The ones I find perhaps a little surprising on that measure are Miliband (neither successful nor socialist) and MacMillan (probably wouldn't be keen on the modern Tory Party were he alive today). However, both have a certain comforting likeability.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333
    HYUFD said:
    Usual small sample (500) but some interesting detailed questions. Sanders is streets ahead of Warren on "most progressive", but more voters care about who can beat Trump than about policies. Buttigieg does well in 2nd prefs, but not by a huge margin. Warren and Biden apparently disappointed NH people in the last debate. But lots of don't knows (which is why nearly everyone is down on the last poll).

https://www.suffolk.edu/-/media/suffolk/documents/academics/research-at-suffolk/suprc/polls/new-hampshire/2020/1_21_2020_marginals_pdftxt.pdf?la=en&hash=6CFFC77EA85499A852DCC54631E81976DA939EA5
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

IDS was incompetent. A majority of Tory MPs agreed and defenestrated him in a vote that was unprecedented.

Had he remained leader Blair would have made mincemeat of him during the 2005 campaign whilst he pursued a naive targeting strategy. The weaknesses that MPs saw would have been plain for all voters to see.

Sure, Howard wasn’t loved. But he was competent and put in place a professional campaign that steadied the ship, gained 30+ seats and brought in the next generation of talent.
    Corbyn and Kinnock were incompetent, they still made gains at a general election (even if Corbyn lost them 2nd time around). On the polling the Tories were showing at the time IDS was ousted they would have gained at least as many seats as they did under Howard
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

Sure, but the fact he never got the chance is a pretty decent indicator that the unfavourables have reason to be slightly higher thanthe favourables at least.
    IDS is an incompetent clown who managed to turn his safe seat in the leafy Tory suburbs into an ultra marginal.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    BigRich said:

'roughly 700,000'

Turnout in 2015 and 2016 was 76 and 78% respectively - with over half a million voters last time.

I do think it might be less this time, because although Corbyn was just as hot a favourite in 2016, as Keir is now, I don't think people are as furiously passionate this time.

Not because it doesn't matter, but in 2016 both sides were very angry, and it appeared that Corbyn's supporters were keen for the win to be as big as possible, while the rest were keen to register their unhappiness with him.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

Corbyn and Kinnock were incompetent, they still made gains at a general election (even if Corbyn lost them 2nd time around). On the polling the Tories were showing at the time IDS was ousted they would have gained at least as many seats as they did under Howard
    Polling midterm is meaningless bollocks though its not an oracle of truth. You do understand that don't you?
  • Options

BigRich said:

Thanks, and very good point about membership being cheaper than becoming a registered supporter.

I think this is Huff post artical you where referring to:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-members-surge-leadership-contest_uk_5e2479d6c5b674e44b99b863?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAU-galHXDZLhBGI5br7eGfcsAdJQ9tQO4Jbz6cDJoJSobb-g2f2_AF-dpisLDAFvoKHX_EG-wKbQcIcWHPFEWILgPx5Iro06xA3aeUvhu9H7h9Xf5QTOfx_sER9aN_AToM1XCj6-v8hh1biKP_vFmStp2dD4wlIN2BFISNdU2LL

but again it quotes an unnamed 'senior party insider' which may or may not be accurat. but gose on to say:

'Local constituency Labour parties (CLPs) are said to have been reporting rises in membership of up to 20% with the deadline to sign up as a member to vote in the leadership contest looming'

20% increase on the 500,000 would be 100,000.

Some CLPs may have seen increases of 20% but that's not the same as all CLPs or the average of CLP. and that 500,000 finger may be unhelpful if a significant number of the new members are re-joiners who have left in the last year.

I don't know why I care, we will see how many vote soon enough. I think I'm just get annoyed when somebody gets hold of a statistic or 'fact' that reinforces there postilion of being right, good, or popular. and rater than check it validity or use appropriate caviats its, repeats it as FACT!

My guess, ready to be shown as totally wrong, less than 350,000 members vote in this election.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

Polling midterm is meaningless bollocks though its not an oracle of truth. You do understand that don't you?
    A Howard led Tories was on 33% in the same poll, they got 32% in 2005 so no it was not wrong in terms of the relative performance of the leaders
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

kinabalu said:

Tommy Robinson ?
    I don't think I've actually ever seen anything written by Yaxley-Lennon. Can he actually write?
    I’d be fairly surprised to hear that he could read.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I mean, really??

IDS is an incompetent clown who managed to turn his safe seat in the leafy Tory suburbs into an ultra marginal.
    IDS held his seat despite Momentum flooding it every weekend when a seat like Putney with not dissimilar demographics fell
This discussion has been closed.