Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov’s first post GE2019 poll has the Tories 20% ahead

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    edited January 2020

So who is going to take advantage of the 65% of 5G the Chinese can't acquire?

That is why it's a good fudge. Carrot for the US (whose objections were probably 90% about the future of their domestic industry anyway).
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

Brexits cost the UK economy loads already . Amazing how Bozo didn’t moan about that but now costs to the economy are being cited as a reason to go ahead with Huawei.

Do you think we’ll be allowed to mention the costs to the economy of not getting an FTA with the EU?
    No because in Leave world they’re happy for economic costs when it suits them . It’s total hypocrisy. If the UK is so bothered about sovereignty and has trashed a 47 year relationship over it you’d think a few years more re 5G to preserve this much vaunted sovereignty would be worth it .

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Nigelb said:

That is why it's a good fudge. Carrot for the US.
    Kinda what I was thinking.
  • Options

Like I said, to govern is to choose from 51:49 choices.
    Or in this case, to fudge.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

On Huawei, there was no other realistic choice if we want to be part if what 5G is going to enable. It gives the UK the chance to be a 4IR leader rather than follower.

That;s the point isn't it? There is no other realistinc choice. People who can't provide stuff can't complain when we choose people who can.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It's good not to have to berate each other for being idiots all the time. :smile:
  • Options

nico67 said:

I’d have been happy for a delay to 5G and the UK sorting this out with other more trusted partners .

What a shameful decision by this government who have wanked on about sovereignty and now have handed a large chunk of that to China !

So you accuse the National Security Counsel of handing sovereignty over to China when in truth you really are trying to use the decision as an attack on Boris as you hate Brexit
    It’s about consistency . All we’ve heard for 3 years is sovereignty repeated over and over ! And a few months in Bozo has given a chunk of that away . Which proves my point Brexit and sovereignty yet another sham !
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

Brexits cost the UK economy loads already . Amazing how Bozo didn’t moan about that but now costs to the economy are being cited as a reason to go ahead with Huawei.

Do you think we’ll be allowed to mention the costs to the economy of not getting an FTA with the EU?
    No because in Leave world they’re happy for economic costs when it suits them . It’s total hypocrisy. If the UK is so bothered about sovereignty and has trashed a 47 year relationship over it you’d think a few years more re 5G to preserve this much vaunted sovereignty would be worth it .
    That does of course cut both ways.
    Should we allow our procurement decisions to be made by the US ?

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    This is all very interesting but really just another pointless poll given Corbyn is stepping down in 2 months.

Far more relevant would be pollsters like Yougov producing polls comparing Labour under different leadership candidates v the Tories as they did at the time of the Tory leadership contest last summer
  • Options
    So how's Trump going to react?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

From my reading its not as if there were alternative providers queueing up to offer a decent alternative.

The bigger question is surely why that is.
  • Options
    I do wonder what the new model Tory party will think when they realise that they have elected a trimmer...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

nico67 said:

Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

That does of course cut both ways.
    Should we allow our procurement decisions to be made by the US ?

No of course not . But on this matter I agree with the USA even if Trumps in office !
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I’d have been happy for a delay to 5G and the UK sorting this out with other more trusted partners .

What a shameful decision by this government who have wanked on about sovereignty and now have handed a large chunk of that to China !

So you accuse the National Security Counsel of handing sovereignty over to China when in truth you really are trying to use the decision as an attack on Boris as you hate Brexit
    It’s about consistency . All we’ve heard for 3 years is sovereignty repeated over and over ! And a few months in Bozo has given a chunk of that away . Which proves my point Brexit and sovereignty yet another sham !
    This is a sovereign decision by HMG. You do need to get over Brexit
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

The other point you miss is that the costs of any other decision would be borne directly by private industry rather than the government.
  • Options
    So who lied to IDS?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

nico67 said:

You are ignoring the fact that Huawei has been classified as a high risk vendor. Quite why we should all be so relaxed about involving such a vendor in our infrastructure I’m not sure. The idea that capping market share at 35% will mitigate the risk strikes me as laughably naive, as does the idea that there can be a clear demarcation between core and non-core with regard to such a network.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

It's good not to have to berate each other for being idiots all the time. :smile:
    A new dawn......
  • Options
    Sky expressing the point that most of Europe may now follow the UK in accepting Huawei

Where Boris goes Europe follows !!!!
  • Options
    Silly old Hodge - the relevance of that 'narrative', if it ever had one, died with the GE result. The question now is, has Boris managed to antagonise Donald over the one issue where Donald actually has a point?
  • Options

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I got over Brexit the minute my new EU passport arrived ! I’m allowed to moan about the Huawei decision , clearly sovereignty is only an issue when it suits some Leavers !
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I got over Brexit the minute my new EU passport arrived ! I’m allowed to moan about the Huawei decision , clearly sovereignty is only an issue when it suits some Leavers !
    There is no such thing as an EU passport
  • Options
    We should note that is a truly momentous decision and day.

I mean Robert Peston was right.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

From my reading its not as if there were alternative providers queueing up to offer a decent alternative.

Is that actually correct - that there are no alternatives? What are Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Vietnam and Korea doing then?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nicholas Parsons has died.

Still doing Just a Minute well into his 90s, RIP
  • Options

Nigelb said:

We've already established that it's because China has determinedly supported the development of this technology, in a way that the West can't (without flouting its rules on government support to industry).

That is actually a fair part of Trump's beef with China on trade, in that they are in breech of international rules on this. The remedy is less clear...

This is a good article on Huawei;
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-Insight/Huawei-s-culture-must-change-for-it-to-stay-ahead
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    TGOHF666 said:
    He won't betray fisheries, too many Tory MPs now represent fishing ports and communities
  • Options
    A cynic might think that that was exactly why the decision was taken in the way it was.

We’ll get Chinese spies and chlorinated chicken. Yay!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

You are ignoring the fact that Huawei has been classified as a high risk vendor. Quite why we should all be so relaxed about involving such a vendor in our infrastructure I’m not sure. The idea that capping market share at 35% will mitigate the risk strikes me as laughably naive, as does the idea that there can be a clear demarcation between core and non-core with regard to such a network.
    What;s the alternative? I'm sure Boris would love to have given the Americans the business if they had offered an alternative. Answer came there none.

Its a bit like a supplier of motorbikes complaining when someone buys a car.

Why didn;t you choose our motorbikes?

err...we wanted a car and you don;t make them....
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Is that actually correct - that there are no alternatives? What are Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Vietnam and Korea doing then?
    Korea is something of a special case in that it has its own domestic industry to support. From an economic POV, it is entirely sensible for them.
    The cost to our tech sector in delaying 5G, given the areas where we do actually compete, might be considerable. I'm not convinced that's the case for the others on your list.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Remainiac Deep State? Someone has overindulged on Big Ben Bongs.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

There are no current alternatives otherwise the argument over Huawei would not arise
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Nigelb said:

nico67 said:

Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

The other point you miss is that the costs of any other decision would be borne directly by private industry rather than the government.
    And then passed on to the consumer.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

What;s the alternative? I'm sure Boris would love to have given the Americans the business if they had offered an alternative. Answer came there none.

Ask those countries not going with Huawei what they are doing. Maybe even work with them. Conveniently some of them are in the Commonwealth which so many of Boris’s fan club are usually praising to the skies.
  • Options
    An indirect consequence of this may well be to exacerbate the wider US-China trade war.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    He won't betray fisheries, too many Tory MPs now represent fishing ports and communities
    A fudged betrayal, then.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Chinese getting their reward for screwing over Hong Kong.

• Options

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

It says EU on it and affords me my FOM rights . So in my eyes it is an EU passport .
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

A new dawn......
    Don't get complacent....
  • Options
    edited January 2020

An indirect consequence of this may well be to exacerbate the wider US-China trade war.

The Americans recently signed a trade agreement with China and the stakes are too high. Especially with Trump up for re-election.
  • Options
    I'm losing track with the politics of HS2. Will Boris be playing a blinder if he does or doesn't scrap it?
  • Options
    So with Huawei decision today and seemingly a decision on HS2 imminent, are the government making their unpopular decisions during the honeymoon period when there is no opposition to challenge ?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

There are no current alternatives otherwise the argument over Huawei would not arise
    There are - Ericsson for example (Telstra, Australia) but I've heard they have neither the capacity nor technology to match Huawei. Further, a lot of the UK 4G network is built with Huawei and 5G is built on top of that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Korea is something of a special case in that it has its own domestic industry to support. From an economic POV, it is entirely sensible for them.
    The cost to our tech sector in delaying 5G, given the areas where we do actually compete, might be considerable. I'm not convinced that's the case for the others on your list.
    Do you think that such a detailed analysis of all the pros and cons and options and costs has actually been done?

As far as I have read, the only analysis has been on what the risks are and whether they could be mitigated which seems like a a very narrow question to ask.

Maybe a FOI request and/or a halfway competent opposition could ask some of these searching questions.
  • Options

So with Huawei decision today and seemingly a decision on HS2 imminent, are the government making their unpopular decisions during the honeymoon period when there is no opposition to challenge ?

What's now the 'unpopular' decision for HS2? Genuine question.
  • Options

That would be the smart thing to do. Thatcher used to complain if the Tories were ahead in the polls early in their term - it showed they weren't getting the unpopular decisions out of the way...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Do you think that such a detailed analysis of all the pros and cons and options and costs has actually been done?

As far as I have read, the only analysis has been on what the risks are and whether they could be mitigated which seems like a a very narrow question to ask.

Maybe a FOI request and/or a halfway competent opposition could ask some of these searching questions.
    The searching question to ask is, surely, why Western companies cannot match Huawei.

Maybe Boris should ask his critics what they expected him to do when nobody else is offering this kit.

• Options

Any decision.
  • Options
    The Yougov question is incredibly vague. I will drink a bottle of ale at home. Does that count as "anything"?
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 895
    edited January 2020

Approve

What I mean is unpopular with the Tory heartlands.

I am 100% it will go ahead to Birmingham, almost certain to Manchester with a tiny doubt about the eastern leg.

Huawei and HS2 are not popular with some in his party, suspect he is getting them through now as limited noise from opposition on Huawei and still in honeymoon period.

There was an opinion poll on Sky News a few weeks ago that gave approving HS2 a (tiny) lead over opposing it, about 38%, 35% from memory.

But I mean opposition from within Tory heartlands.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-telecoms-5g-orders-factbox/factbox-deals-by-major-suppliers-in-the-race-for-5g-idUKKBN1ZC1N9
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

Ask those countries not going with Huawei what they are doing. Maybe even work with them. Conveniently some of them are in the Commonwealth which so many of Boris’s fan club are usually praising to the skies.
    Accepting a poorer service, as Australia has done for some years now, having kept Huawei out of the network previously.
    And screwed up its immediate plans to upgrade the network:
    Australia’s decision led to the immediate collapse of a multi-billion-dollar telecommunications project in Australia belonging to TPG, a US corporation, which had already invested hundreds of millions of dollars based on agreements with Huawei...

The whole article is well worth reading:
    https://www.iiss.org/publications/strategic-comments/2019/australia-huawei-and-5g
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    How many Conservative MPs do you think represent fishing ports? There are only 15 ports in England and Wales at which sea fish can be landed. They can be safely ignored.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Our national security may be at risk, but at least people will be able to download porn ten times as fast.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

A new dawn......
    Don't get complacent....
    Just the other day I commented that Mark had made a great post. It is a softening up process.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    How many Conservative MPs do you think represent fishing ports? There are only 15 ports in England and Wales at which sea fish can be landed. They can be safely ignored.
    More Tory MPs represent fishing ports than represent seats in inner London
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

nico67 said:

Accepting a poorer service, as Australia has done for some years now, having kept Huawei out of the network previously.
    And screwed up its immediate plans to upgrade the network:
    Australia’s decision led to the immediate collapse of a multi-billion-dollar telecommunications project in Australia belonging to TPG, a US corporation, which had already invested hundreds of millions of dollars based on agreements with Huawei...

The whole article is well worth reading:
    https://www.iiss.org/publications/strategic-comments/2019/australia-huawei-and-5g
    Thanks. Will read later.

The issue to me is this: if this is such an important decision then it is more important to get it right than do it in a rushed way with a vendor which even the government describes as high risk.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

There are - Ericsson for example (Telstra, Australia) but I've heard they have neither the capacity nor technology to match Huawei. Further, a lot of the UK 4G network is built with Huawei and 5G is built on top of that.

They cannot match Huawei currently - especially on the capacity side. The tech is actually pretty good from what I have been told. The issue for the UK is that 5G is going to change a lot of the ways in which a lot of business is done in multiple industries - henece the term 4IR (fourth industrial revolution). If we want to be on the leading edge of that, we need to be developing our infrastructure now. If we wait, we will be followers with others already having decided how things will be done. We are where we are because, the US, the EU, the UK and other Western governments failed to understand 5G's potential and did nothing to create an institutional and policy-making framework within which our world class companies could thrive and develop the solutions that Huawei has. This is an entirely self-inflicted wound.

• Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

It says EU on it and affords me my FOM rights . So in my eyes it is an EU passport .
    Still not an EU passport
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    It is the future that is more interesting. The fact that Huawei has a lead and there are not enough rival suppliers is not a situation that the purchasers of this kit are happy with. They have been working together as an industry via the OpenRAN project to produce open source software to run on generic hardware. They are just not there now for 5G. If the RoW does not want China kit then they need to make sure that OpenRAN is ready for 6G.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:
    It's totemic, though, regardless of the reality.

[it also feeds the SNP grievance mill, but they'd only find something else to moan about if the Tories came through for the fishermen (fisherpeople?).
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    Why doesn’t Tom make a FOI request for a copy of that review on China’s domestic security laws?
  • Options
    Bozo should ditch the HS2 link from London to Birmingham and go with connecting the latter to Manchester and Leeds.

Also put the savings into the wider UK and improve the infrastructure there . I think that’s a winning way forward and a decent compromise.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    As they say in Newcastle - Huawei with the lads.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2020
    Can Huawei actually source all the components needed to supply this kit if the US blacklists them?
  • Options

I'm losing track with the politics of HS2. Will Boris be playing a blinder if he does or doesn't scrap it?

Yes.
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 895
    edited January 2020
    nico67 said:

Bozo should ditch the HS2 link from London to Birmingham and go with connecting the latter to Manchester and Leeds.

Also put the savings into the wider UK and improve the infrastructure there . I think that’s a winning way forward and a decent compromise.

Where do the trains go when they reach Rugby from Manchester ?

Also, that would be at least 5 years away from construction, during which time all the contractors will have lost confidence in the government and will increase their costs to cover the risk that again the government will pull the plug at the last minute.

HS2 is already being built, there is no chance will be stopped now.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

They cannot match Huawei currently - especially on the capacity side. The tech is actually pretty good from what I have been told. The issue for the UK is that 5G is going to change a lot of the ways in which a lot of business is done in multiple industries - henece the term 4IR (fourth industrial revolution). If we want to be on the leading edge of that, we need to be developing our infrastructure now. If we wait, we will be followers with others already having decided how things will be done. We are where we are because, the US, the EU, the UK and other Western governments failed to understand 5G's potential and did nothing to create an institutional and policy-making framework within which our world class companies could thrive and develop the solutions that Huawei has. This is an entirely self-inflicted wound.

Great post.
  • Options

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Still not an EU passport
    Whatever makes you happy ! I and other lucky people who will still have our treasured FOM rights really don’t care whether legally it’s an EU passport or not .

• Options
    HYUFD said:
    Goodness, the approach of Brexit isn't making Leavers any less mad or conspiracist, is it?
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    To govern is to choose, and frankly I'm pleased that the PM is taking the advice of the security services rather than that of Delingpole and Farage, who have a facility with the cultural mood but know sod all about anything technical.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:

[it also feeds the SNP grievance mill, but they'd only find something else to moan about if the Tories came through for the fishermen (fisherpeople?).
    fisherfolk?
  • Options

Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF666 said:

fisherfolk?
    To which my family belong
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

As they say in Newcastle - Huawei with the lads.

I thought it was Huawei'n'shite.....?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418

So who lied to IDS?

It was 65% the truth.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    TGOHF666 said:
    Again, we can't really let the opinion of the US be the only determinant of all our national policy. Did you see the recent story about Pompeo claiming that a journalist who is an expert in European affairs had confused Ukraine with Bangladesh? I'm pretty right-wing, but parts of the Trump administration are simply bonkers and their wishes should not be followed blindly.
  • Options

Is Huawei unpopular? If people were that bothered, they would not buy their phones.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Except that the UK was never really in the game of developing such kit, was it ?
    Otherwise, agreed...
    ...Though "create an institutional and policy making framework within etc..." begs rather a large number of questions.

• Options

nico67 said:

Where do the trains go when they reach Rugby from Manchester ?

Also, that would be at least 5 years away from construction, during which time all the contractors will have lost confidence in the government and will increase their costs to cover the risk that again the government will pull the plug at the last minute.

HS2 is already being built, there is no chance will be stopped now.

Tell that to the Scotland monument.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    TGOHF666 said:
    Boris would probably settle for "disappointment", which almost implies acceptance.
    It's not as though we expected them to be thrilled...
  • Options
  • Options
    Why HS2 is neededAt the moment the UK railway network is terribly full, the WCML mostly with it being the busiest mixed (commuter, regional, inter city and freight) railway on the planet, that is volume of trains per hour using the tracks cannot be matched anywhere.

This causes all sorts of problems, as soon as one train is running late it will inevitably have a knock on effect on the subsequent trains, there is no spare capacity on the lines for the late runners to not adversely impact on other services.

Eventually the ripple effect will become bad enough to warrant cancellations to enable the service to be brought back to the timetable.

That is a direct consequence of the over crowding on the tracks of the WCML and is felt all along from Euston and into all the major cities that the line serves.

Additionally this impacts on services that only use the WCML for a short period, spreading across the wider network.

Best way to fix this ? Add capacity to the network to enable the service to recover and have slack to deal with late running services.

Now the tube runs trains about every 1minute on some lines, this is possible because all the trains run at the same speed and stop at the same stations, the headways are identical.

Best way of adding as much capacity to the WCML is to do the same, have as similar services as possible using the line as possible operating at as similar speed as possible, ideally take away the high speed inter city services that have massive stopping distances and eat into track capacity leaving behind the slower commuter and freight services.

This bring you to HS2, the best way of improving the existing services is to add additional capacity to the existing railway, the best way of doing that is moving the higher speed trains away and leaving the existing network for commuting services.

The alternative, trying to add this capacity to the existing network was tried about 15 years ago with the WCML upgrade scheme that added very little extra capacity for great cost, the alternatives some are suggesting would seethe WCML and ECML closed every weekend for the next 14 years and would add a tiny fraction of the capacity that HS2 will deliver to the existing networkYes it is expensive, but it will last hundreds of years and would not seem remotely as expensive if we have as a nation being building this for the last 30 years like many other European countries.

If HS2 isn't the answer to the issues facing the railways, I am certain the next answer will be incredibly similar.
  • Options
  • Options
    While it's hardly the judge of a wise policy, it does seem to have pissed off all the right people.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

While it's hardly the judge of a wise policy, it does seem to have pissed off all the right people.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    WATO US guy getting pushback on non Huawei networks being “lower standard”
  • Options

Is Huawei unpopular? If people were that bothered, they would not buy their phones.
    What I meant was unpopular with some of the traditional Tory supporters.

Not Joe Public.

Like HS2, they don't really care.
  • Options
    Scotland not really getting on board with the Learn to Stop Worrying and Love Brexit plan.

https://twitter.com/ProfPMiddleton/status/1222146556503187462?s=20
  • Options

It is the future that is more interesting. The fact that Huawei has a lead and there are not enough rival suppliers is not a situation that the purchasers of this kit are happy with. They have been working together as an industry via the OpenRAN project to produce open source software to run on generic hardware. They are just not there now for 5G. If the RoW does not want China kit then they need to make sure that OpenRAN is ready for 6G.

Hence the 35% limit, which those most exercised by the decision seem to be overlooking.

I didn't vote for this government, and I don't like it at all, but the decision is at the very least defensible.
This discussion has been closed.